[Closed] Trinkets And Truces

Elias and Nicco get an unexpected introduction thanks to Xavier's fondness for shiny things.

Open for Play
Anaxas' main trade port; it is also the nation's criminal headquarters, home to the Bad Brothers and Silas Hawke, King of the Underworld. The small town of Plugit is nearby.

Niccolette Ibutatu
Topics: 38
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Morning, Loshis 2nd, 2719
Room 36, Marvelous Mermaid Inn, Castle Hill
Elias yelled in frustration, snatched up a box and hurled it across the room. Niccolette, who knew something of temper tantrums, watched, unimpressed, and was scarcely surprised that the mona did not listen. As if the mere fact of Elias’s existence was enough for the mona to come to him again! He told her she did not understand how silent, and Niccolette could have rolled her eyes, although she did not; it would have been too much effort.

Niccolette had gone to the door, then, and Xavier – rather than getting out of the way to let her pass – poured their too-tall body even more solidly in her way. Niccolette’s lips pressed lightly together, and she swept her gaze over them, up and down. It would not be difficult. She supposed they thought that – so close together – it would be easy to get a hand over her mouth when she tried to cast, or that they were quick enough to keep her from using the gun.

Or, she thought – perhaps Xavier understood just how easily she could drag them from the doorway – push them aside with a syllable of monite – and refused all the same. Niccolette made a little face at them, almost sulking. She might have done it anyway, just to prove a point, although she was not sure. Practical instruction! As if it were so simple.

Niccolette took a deep breath, and then Elias spoke again from behind her. Niccolette’s jaw clenched, and she turned back towards the galdor, prepared to call him an idiot, but he – for the first time, she had the sense he was attempting to meet her. The Bastian groaned, faintly, and rubbed her face with her hand. No, she thought; perhaps he really was such an idiot as not to have done the most basic of research, the bare minimum.

Fine.

Niccolette glanced back at the table, eyes lingering on the rolls on the floor and those left behind. She turned back to Xavier, and lifted her chin. “I have eaten,” the Bastian announced. Then she shrugged. “But I should take some kofi or tea,” she glanced back at the conspicuous lack of both on the table, then turned back to Xavier, and raised her eyebrows.

“Better,” Niccolette said, glancing back over her shoulder at Elias this time, looking directly at him, “not to drink anything else. If you wish to make any progress.”

Niccolette glanced around. She utterly refused to sit on the bed, but she claimed a chair for her own and sat, crossing her legs at the ankle, and studying the other Bastian. She settled the necklace on her lap, and reached up to her neck, carefully undoing the little buttons, revealing a glint of pale white skin. She clasped the necklace behind herself, and tucked the sapphire into the front of her dress, then did up the buttons again, so it was an all-but-invisible lump beneath the fabric.

Niccolette was silent for a little while, and then she began, steadily, inexorably, inevitably.

“I do know something of silence,” Niccolette began, hands resting one on top of the other on her knees. She tilted her head, studying Elias, and then flexed her field out, abruptly, letting it wash over him, bright and sharp. It settled back down, and Niccolette shrugged. “Three years ago, I backlashed so badly that for some days I had no field. Other galdori could not even cast living magic in my presence,” Niccolette grinned, well aware of her current strength, and by no means remotely humble about it, nor ashamed of how hard she had worked to make it so.

“So,” Niccolette said, quieter again, more solemn. “It can be done. As with casting, it is about the will and the words, or perhaps the way,” she sighed.

“There are books,” Niccolette broke the silence again, when she was ready. “You would be wise to read some of them, but they are, I think, on the whole, chroveshit,” she shrugged. “Many of them wish to write as if it is like casting a spell. You just say these words, and you are forgiven! It is not like this, not when one truly must make amends to the mona. But – one can learn something from them, all the same.”

“One needs a ritual,” Niccolette explained, looking intently at the other dark-haired Bastian. Her breath had fallen into a rhythm all its own, steady, in and out; there was an even repetition of counts between them, and the words flowed through it all in perfect harmony. “Something personal. You cannot use another’s, or if you do – it must be made your own. It should have elements of you, of yourself as a caster, and elements also of your backlash. What this means is up to you. I cannot tell you. In the most effective rituals, one layers these over the plot – incorporates them into the shapes and the words.”

“It will still take time,” Niccolette warned, and not necessarily kindly. “It goes at its own pace, and cannot be hurried. You must be willing to repeat it, again and again, as many times as it takes.” Her eyes fluttered, faintly, and she kept on. “You must mean the words, whichever ones you choose. Mean them, again and again, as if you are casting,"The air was growing warmer, around her, heat spilling out from her into the room, and Niccolette stopped when she felt it.

Niccolette let out all her breath in a careful, long exhale, and arched her back in a stretch, shivering. “I suppose even you can do it,” she told Elias, “if you want it badly enough.”

Tags:
Xavier Zhirune
Topics: 10
Race: Wick
: Not all that glitters be ging. Some 'f it's me.
Writer: Muse

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:55 am

Castle Hill
too damn early for this spitch on Loshis 2nd, 2719

If the petulant sliver of moonlight could at all be said to relish in the brief moment of threat they possessed there near the door, it didn't show on their face. It would be chance, really, for them to find themselves with the upper hand over a galdor wielding the kind of power the short, sad Bastian in front of them did. They knew how to interrupt casting. They knew how a firearm worked. They knew that gollybodies were just as soft on the inside as lower races like themselves, but Niccolette brought her own experience to the small rented room. Xavier was quite sure she knew what she was doing, quite sure she was far more dangerous than the musician who was better suited for entertainment than combat, for stealthy larceny than direct conflict.

They were still frowning, the albino wick glancing past the petite woman in front of them toward the other sad Bastian as Elias continued to bemoan himself and his circumstance instead of simply listen. A colorless eyebrow arched, delicate and well-manicured, and the pale creature's violet gaze came back into focus on Niccolette as she somewhat theatrically announced she'd eaten. Kofi, however—

Oh.

Painted lips lifted only slightly into a smirk instead of a smile, the willowy Gioran exhaling a slow, languid sort of breath as their lanky form relaxed in the doorway,

"That's a possibility—oes." Xavier acquiesced slowly, drawing out their syllables with a falsetto hesitance, a hint of reluctance in the tenor of their voice and the glittery shift of their glamour. There was an edge of discomfort, an understanding that they were being asked to leave, the social beast still alive because they could read body language and listen for queues. They played strangers for a living as much as their oud. The albino wick looked to Elias again as if asking if the man had any requests, resisting the urge to grin when Niccolette chastised him for drinking.

It was nice to have some fucking backup on that one. Just once.

There was a time for insobriety, but this was ne it.

"Ye leave me a body, an' it ent like ye 're in hidin' here 'n th' Rose." Xavier practically sang, falsetto and yet without humor, waggling lithe fingers at both dark-haired, pouty, heart-damaged Bastians before they slipped out the door. They made it a few steps, slinking out of earshot, before they simply leaned against the tackily wallpapered wall and sighed. Xavier let the wave of nausea burn through their chest and weaken their knees, hiding their pale, pretty face from the empty hall for a several moments before raking bejeweled fingers and lacquered nails through their colorless hair,

"Yaldyet." They murmured into their palms, letting fear wash over them before pushing their lanky selves up again.

Perhaps it was better this way, really, they told themselves above the frightened fluttering of their heart in their transluscent-skinned chest. Perhaps it was better—should something happen—that they weren't there to see it, they assured themselves while riding the rush of adrenaline as they flowed through the hall of the Marvelous Mermaid. Perhaps it was better this way because no one needed them, anyway, they chided themselves out on the street in Castle Hill with the clouds heavy and the drizzle immediately annoying. They had no aspirations to be like those jent, not anymore, not really ever.

They shouldn't have been such a fucking coward. They should have left that jent on the fucking beach.

She'd probably kill him. She'd done Xavier a kindness, hinting they should leave for kofi to win her compliance, so that she could put the handsome Elias out of his own misery without witnesses. Or, maybe, just maybe, she'd say the right things and the dumb, chinny bastard would listen. Just once in his godsbedamned life. And then even Xavier could be done with him.

Right?

Somewhere along the nicer, well-kept street of the Quarter Fords the tacky, overly-decorated Mermaid sat on was at least one cafe that served a variety of roasts of kofi from Mugroba, the little old couple that ran the place cute and wrinkled like a pair of dates left in the desert sun. The adorable lady always liked to compliment Xavier's hair—like Benea on the Turga she'd purred to them with her thick Mug accent and gap-toothed smile.

Maybe the albino wick would just stay there for a while. Maybe they didn't need to go back at all—how much coin did they have in their pockets? Was it enough? Was it ever?

⟡ ☾° ⟡
Elias Mercucianno
Topics: 8
Writer: Raksha

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Loshis 2nd, 2719
OLD ROSE HARBOR | MORNING
The Bastian snorted, eyeing the bottle on the table as Niccolette commented, but not moving for it again. His gold rimmed gaze followed Xavier, watching waggling fingers before the moonshard flittered away. Out of line of sight, Elias let his guard down briefly, his recomposed uncaring mask crumpling just at the edges before it was back again. He trusted the Gioran wick, and more than that he felt something.
​​
​​But he knew better than that now. He’d spent six odd years shoving everyone and everything away, because it saved this hurt. This feeling of defeat in his chest.
​​
​​Why stop now?
​​
​​Smoothing his—no Xavier’s--shirt smooth and rolling up the sleeves, Elias moved to stand beside the other chair as Niccolette tucked her precious necklace against pale skin, listening as she spoke. The sudden engulfment of her field around him was sharp and unexpected, and the dark haired man gasped, hand grabbing the back of the chair as his knees felt weak. His own frayed and broken aura wavered against hers, and the mona that danced through the air made his teeth ring in protest. By the time she drew it back, tears stung the corners of his eyes, but he blinked them away to almost crawl shakily into his seat. Sitting heavily, he rubbed his hands hard against his thighs before straightening and looking at the woman.
​​
​​ “It’s unbearable.” He breathed in response to her own admission, leaning his elbows on his thighs and shuddering noticeably. How could she smile at the thought? Elias wished he’d died, over and over. After the years of trying after his family’s death, the young man thought he’d experienced loss at its highest form.
​​
​​Gods he was so wrong.
​​
​​Quiet now, Eli listened, smirking a little at her thoughts on instructional books regarding the topic. She wasn't wrong, truthfully. Whilst he’d read nothing on the topic of recovering from such an event, he had rolled his eyes so hard at study materials in Brunnhold that he was fairly certain he’d done permanent damage.
​​
​​ “A ritual. Something personal? I don’t…I don’t have anything my lovely beast. I have…that.” He gestured at the harpsichord, before pushing his forehead against his hands, only now noticing her breathing pattern. Closing his eyes, the defeated galdor listened to the other Bastian, his own breaths falling in line without intent. It was calming, and almost centering. Opening his eyes, Elias sat up, his brow drawn as he thought on her words.
​​
​​Elements of himself. Of himself a caster. And his backlash.
​​
​​He suddenly realised what he needed to do, his own ritual. His own words.
​​
​​Blinking, the Bastian turned his eyes on his countrywoman and chuckled quietly.
​​
​​ “Am I that transparent that you must warn me about this taking time? Actually, don’t answer that, I already know I am. Patience has never been my forte.” The chinful creature fell silent again as his breathing matched hers by instinct, feeling the sheer power radiating from the mage in a tangible warmth, struck in a strange sense of awe by all that he could sense. Sight, sound, touch, feel, taste and field. This Niccolette, she'd taken care. She’d taken time.
​​
​​ “What did you loose?” Elias asked softly, suddenly. His gold rim gazed studied her, taking note of her posture and her presence, the disconnected way she spoke as though he was just a passing thought in her ever travelling mind. He sat here, broken and magicless as any scrap, and he saw not a towering graduate of the finest academic institution.
​​
​​He saw a survivor.
​​
​​ “I killed my family, because I was a stupid lazy selfish teenager who fancied himself some sort of pilot. I lost them all. I burned down my own house, and I’ve been robbed of all my worth. I have a wick making sure I don’t die no matter how fucking hard I try to, and I have a God who has cursed my very soul. I can’t stand myself, and I can see you’ve suffered loss. I can sense it all over you. So, I ask, what did you loose that made you fight so hard for your power back?”

Niccolette Ibutatu

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Elias had questions, but Niccolette was glad to see he could answer them for himself; she had not wanted to try. She sat, settled into the chair once more, legs crossed at the ankle beneath her skirt, and was content in the silence for a little while. She found her breath again, steady; not building to anything, now, but reaching out in connection to the mona, to the world beyond, and letting it flow back through her. She could see in the rise and fall of Elias’s chest that he had settled into the same rhythm; she wondered if he knew it.

When Elias spoke again, it was jarring – not only the words themselves, but the intrusion of the question on her breath, her silence.

Niccolette simply looked at him, meeting his gold-rimmed eyes with her green ones, lips pressed softly together. He kept at the question; he spilled out his misery in a rush of words, all of it, and asked if she wished to compare. Niccolette tilted her head to the side, slowly, looking at him, silent for a long moment.

Her hand lifted to the lump of jewelry beneath her dress, fingers resting gently on it. She closed her eyes for a moment, and thought of Uzoji. If she let herself go, if she wanted it badly enough, she could drift away into the past, into the memory of the brush of his lips against her ear. Their fourth anniversary; Uzoji had scarcely been able to do more than sit on the day of it, not even twenty days after she had nearly lost him. Niccolette’s field had been less than a dasher’s, flickering inconsistent in the air around her; she had only just started to find her ritual.

Niccolette had thought his life was all the gift she could ask for, all the celebration she could ever want.

Uzoji had sent Aremu back to the islands, to watch over the plantation. She had been taking him – Niccolette could not remember. Soup. Soup, it had been soup. It was a struggle, suddenly, to keep her breath smooth and even, but she did not lose her rhythm, breathing steadily. She had sat on the edge of the bed, smiling at him; he could scarcely sit up, Niccolette remembered, because of the pressure it put on his lungs.

“Beloved,” he had said, seriously, the tray sitting on his lap, dressed in a warm robe and wrapped in bandages, “turn around, close your eyes and lift up your hair.”

Niccolette had laughed, looking at him, but Uzoji, though he had smiled, hadn’t laughed, and he had waited, looking intently at her.

“All right, darling,” Niccolette turned, obediently, closed her eyes, and lifted her hair, smiling. She had felt Uzoji’s fingers brush the back of her neck, gently – the right stiff and fumbling, scarcely able to move through the burns on his palm. She had felt the weight of something against her dress, and then the soft brush of his lips, on the little sliver of skin between the collar of the dress and her hair.

“There,” Uzoji had said, pleased.

Niccolette had lowered her hair, and looked down at the sapphire necklace glinting on her chest. “Darling,” She said, softly, touching her fingers to it, looking back wide-eyed at him.

Uzoji had been breathing hard, but he was smiling so much Niccolette had not even been able to worry. “It’s not nearly as beautiful as you,” he had said, softly.

It was too painful, then, to remember more; too painful and too easy. Such memories were like quicksand; she could drown in them, as easily as she could breathe. Niccolette opened her eyes again, and felt the familiar shape beneath the fabric of the dress. She blinked away the sheen of moisture, the sudden urgent need to cry, and swallowed it back, lowering her hand to her lap and looking at Elias once more.

“I am sorry for your loss,” Niccolette said, quietly. She knew the words to be empty; she knew she, herself, was sick of hearing them, had been sick from the very first time she had heard them. She knew, too, that no words made any difference at all to the pain of it, that all the alcohol in the Rose could scarcely dull it, but that even the slightest lessening could help.

The Bastian shrugged, slightly. “I do not think one can make comparisons,” she said, gently, looking up at Elias again. She lowered her hands to her lap, gently twisting her wedding ring in slow circles over her finger. She closed her eyes once more, and found the deep, even rhythm of her breath, and when she spoke, slow and soft, the words echoed like monite in the shadows between her breath.

“I lost my heart,” Niccolette said.

Xavier Zhirune

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Castle Hill

Xavier'd found themselves with a bit of extra coin, after all, and so when they did order far too much kofi and explain they'd like to leave the little cafe with it in some sort of portable canister along with, well, a few more sweets than anyone actually needed to eat (they were delicious and who didn't need chocolate when staring at the sad corpse of a sad Bastian lover they'd be returning to, right?), the albino wick was aware they'd made life complicated for the nattle and her kov running the place. Still, they put up with the pale creature and their placating smiles—a couple of extra shill didn't hurt, either, honestly—and as much as the musician thought about simply walking away from everything, they'd left their oud in the inn room and they simply had to go back.

No one else would give that ersehole a proper burial here in the Rose, and if, by some curious chance, the widowed Ibutatu woman left Elias alive, well, someone else had to continue to appreciate that handsome chin.

Xavier disliked the weight of her field, distrusted her obvious association with Hawke—the same bastard who'd clearly had the chinny jent's whole family slaughtered and who'd probably robbed him blind in frustration that the last Merccutiano continued to stubbornly survive (at least, he breathed, but the willowy Gioran couldn't entirely say the man was actually living). They also recognized that they were in no position to teach a galdor how to go about fixing their life within the monic fabric of the world. They'd never be a golly and they weren't sure they'd want to be even if they had a chance anymore, so stuffy and confining were their rules about magic and so strange were the mona to enforce them ... especially considering how carefree that same mona allowed tekaa to live.

It wasn't anything the pale musician spent too much time fussing over, given their harmonic life with those magical particles wasn't at all in question and they certainly revered the power they'd been given, begrudging though galdori society chose to view such a relationship.

Clearly, Elias could hardly live his own life, let alone relate to invisible, powerful, sentient things. Not yet. Would he ever?

The Gioran knew somewhere in their narrow chest they had nothing to offer outside of the persistence of their company, their own stubborn nature as indomitable in its cheerfulness as it was indomitable in its androgyny. They'd suffered. They'd spent their time grieving their losses. They'd had their hardships. But there was far too much beauty and excitement to live for, and that was a choice they'd made years ago.

They certainly didn't expect anyone else to choose the same, let alone choose themself as someone worth listening to about such matters.

Laden with hot, fragrant kofi in a large porcelain tumbler they'd promised to return with a smile they didn't entirely feel like forcing their well-carved face to make and a box of sweets they totally didn't even need, Xavier reluctantly made their way back to the Marvelous Mermaid and up the stairs toward the room they'd paid for.

Voices drifted down the otherwise quiet hall and it was easy to feel the press of not one but two godsbedamned fields once they were in front of the door, shifting their body to make use of their hip and an elbow in order to open it without asking for assistance, violet gaze sweeping the room with undisguised suspicion as they entered,

"N'one's bleedin', eh." Hummed Xavier at their own joke, grinning as if it was the most appropriate of comments and shrugging their narrow shoulders to indicate the refreshments they'd returned with—refreshments they could have just hoarded for themselves had they chosen not to come back at all. At the thought, they glanced at their oud and then to Niccolette sitting there in a chair before letting themselves look to Elias and making a motion with their full arms that insisted upon assistance getting everything arranged on the table.

Everyone still looked so fuckin' sad.

Had they talked about anything important or magical at all?

"Yer welcome." The petulant sliver of moonlight mumbled in defiance of the heaviness in the room, painted lips still curved into a rebellious sort of grin even if they didn't feel the expression on the inside.

They might not have been a galdor, but they weren't anyone's butler, either. Wiping a few leftover glasses on the table from other sorts of drinking with the flowing layers of their shirt, they pressed their glamorous presence into everyone's personal space and arranged things on the table with intention, sliding into a chair gracefully and poking at some of the baked goods they'd delivered earlier,

"Did we have a benny chat? Did ye take any notes?"

The pale musician's words were more of a statement than a question, but they looked to Elias instead of Niccolette with them, inhaling slowly, curious enough but not giving any glimpse that they were at all concerned when they actually were—concerned and curious. Not waiting for anyone else to help themselves, they set about pouring themselves some steaming kofi as if all was right with the world and as if this was just a casual tea party. Arching a slim brow toward the widowed Bastian, they did have the gracefulness to offer to pour her some of the fragrant liquid as well, perhaps rather pleased with themselves for making sure the galdori weren't first served.

⟡ ☾° ⟡
Elias Mercucianno
Topics: 8
Writer: Raksha

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Loshis 2nd, 2719
OLD ROSE HARBOR | MORNING
"Thankyou.” Elias said, equally as hollow and equally as empty, the response automatic as he was sure Niccolette’s was. Watching her twist the ring, the Bastian nodded, tucking his fingers together under his chin.

I lost my heart.

The brunette man felt her words, more than the common ‘feel-good’ phrase of condolence. He sat silently, regarding the slight woman carefully. She’d come with rage and retribution for those blue jewels, clinging to memories embedded in the necklace, much like Elias had with Xavier and Leandrah’s harpsichord. He’d not thought about anything else, just thrown his entire being into the static burst of flames in a drunk and desperate bid to stop the thief he assumed was taking it, and in turn had broken the mona’s trust one last time. Strangers both, somewhere in that shared moment, the Bastian felt as though he saw someone that knew what he felt. That understood his anguish, even if she found him woeful.

“That’ll do it.” Elias muttered quietly, glancing up as the door opened with a skillful hip, Xavier’s pale visage filling the doorway with arms full of treats and kofi. He exhaled a long sound, slapping his thighs and standing with all the grace of his ethnicity.

“All safe here, my luscious quartz shard. Here, let me.” Eli shifted to take the kofi pot from the box and place it on the table, making room for the box of goods that the Gioran had returned with. His gold rimmed gaze watched the steam rise from the flowing dark liquid in Xaviers cup, brow still drawn slightly in the aftermath of the discussion with his kinswoman.

"Did we have a benny chat? Did ye take any notes?"

It was almost like they cared. Except they didn’t, because Xavier didn’t have those same feelings as Elias. It was pathetic to dwell on it.

Smirking as he found his persona, complete with a cheeky raised eyebrow and a shrug, the slightly tanned man leaning forward to steal a sweet baked good and wave it around.

“Notes schmotes. I’m sure I’ve understood the basics. It’s all very academic, very serious. Definitely drink worthy, but apparently that’s not an option. Shame.” Biting through the bready goodness, Elias spoke around the mouthful.

“Thankyou, though, Miss Sooner-Murder-You-Than-Talk-To-You. I do genuinely appreciate you taking this brief interlude to give your guidance.” Collecting his own cup of kofi, the Bastian raised it to her, before taking a sip.

“I believe I know exactly what I’m going to do, or at least what I am going to attempt. Will it work, well only the mona will tell. Will it work right away, no. And I have to accept that.” Switching to the food again, he took another mouthful and winked at Xavier.

“Either way, I’m sure I’ll be out of your glorious hair soon enough.” It was a hint of hurt, just an edge of it. An admission that he knew the wick didn’t share the same feelings as the galdor, and an acknowledgement of the other creatures’ assistance thus far. Sipping another draught of kofi, the Bastian swallowed the sinking feeling that crawled into his chest.

“You know what this needs? A cigarette. Sweet tobacco from the plantations of Bryde county, ahh I can almost smell it.” He drawled, breathing deeply of the scent of kofi and sighing dramatically.

Niccolette Ibutatu

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:10 pm

The door opening broke the silence between them; Elias had spoken, but as far as Niccolette was concerned he might as well not have. Nothing of substance had been said, perhaps not by either of them; perhaps not at any point in this whole day. Niccolette sat, quietly, on the chair; her hands were together in her lap now, still, although she could feel the press of the metal of her wedding ring against her fingers. She focused on it – not with meditative intensity, but with an ache in her chest. She couldn’t seem to focus on anything else.

The Gioran came back into the room with a burst of motion. Elias was standing them, with a loud slap of palms against his thighs. Niccolette turned her head to look at him as he rose, then slowly looked away again. Her hands held one another tighter, and then slowly relaxed, though she didn’t unclasp them. For a moment, the energy of the room seemed to swirl around her; Niccolette’s head was light and aching and it was all she could do to follow the words pouring from the other men.

Slowly, Niccolette took hold of herself; her hands let go of one another, and her right hand settled back on the necklace, fingers finding the contours of the jewel through her dress. No, she thought; no. There was no safety to be found here. She could not slip away.

“Mrs.” Niccolette said, coolly, in response to Elias’s attempt at a nickname. There were no other particular signs of humor on her face for a long moment, and she looked at him almost as though she were seriously reconsidering her decision not to shoot the Bastian in the face. Then, suddenly, she grinned. It was not precisely friendly.

Niccolette nodded at Xavier’s offer of kofi. She stood, and crossed the room to take the cup from him, rather than forcing him to bring it to her. She did not go back to her seat, but went to the window again, standing at the edges of it, letting the pale warmth of the day shine through the glass against her. If it stung at her eyes, Niccolette felt it a worthwhile trade. She held the cup in her hands, and took a sip of kofi against the headache that had settled, throbbing, into her skull. There was the warmth of the cup in her hands, and the light against her skin, and Niccolette lingered there, a few moments more.

She had no particular desire to stay and make conversation; she had lingered this long only because – because – fellow feeling for a countryman? Her eyes lowered to Elias, and she made a little face, unamused by his constant longing for distraction. If she found it too familiar to be comfortable, it was unacknowledged, even to herself. She did not doubt he was hurting; she could not. She also did not doubt that she found him utterly pathetic.

Her gaze flitted instead to the wick, the Gioran with their long lovely hair and mysteriously androgynous features. She remembered telling them they would do well to pray to Hurte rather than Imaan; she still thought it true. Niccolette was Bastian through and through, and she could well acknowledge it would be a waste of Hurte’s gifts to have killed the wick. But –

“Why?” Niccolette asked, looking at Xavier. She more or less ignored Elias; she took another sip of the kofi, and she set the cup down. Her arms crossed over her chest, and she lifted her chin, and faced them squarely.

“Why involve me in this?” Niccolette asked, coolly, imbuing the last word with a delicate little emphasis. She did not ask if they knew what they had risked; Niccolette knew she must not have seemed dangerous, curled up on herself and weeping blue into her field, but the wick had sensed her – had known what she was – they must have known it was a risk.

“Is getting him out of your hair worth the risk of your lives?” Niccolette asked, deliberately parroting Elias's words. She looked fully at the other Bastian now, and raised her eyebrows at him; she turned back to Xavier. “You chose to bring me here. I should like some answers.”

Xavier Zhirune

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Castle Hill

The pale, petulant creature did not look up immediately at the question, their violet gaze focused on the steam of their kofi instead of Elias' face or Niccolette's, feeling the differences between their fields against their own very different glamour. They giggled, tittered really, a small, musical noise of surprise and disapproval instead of amusement, looking up slowly,

"Yer a sad Bastian. He's a sad Bastian."

They waved a pinky in emphasis, lacquered nail used to indicate each galdor as Xavier spoke in their smooth, androgynously musical voice. They paused for another sip, thinking back to the strange robbery without being particularly ashamed of the impulsiveness of their choices, "Ye had a whole room full 'f spitch that looked relevant, ye chen. I ent ever seen anythin' like that. Seemed like ye knew what ye were talkin' 'bout."

They shrugged, tall frame scrunched for a moment when they lifted their narrow shoulders before languidly settling further into their chair, "Ye could've offed me then, but ye didn't. I s'pose I enjoy a pretty gamble now 'n then."

Slowly, the pale musician let their attention drift back to Elias, traveling over that handsome chin before meeting his gaze. He was an easy thing to look at, to linger on, still so full of a self-destructive anger, amusingly defiant even though he appeared to at least have given Niccolette some of his attention. Had her words sunk through all that scar tissue? Had they really? The Gioran couldn't entirely articulate why they felt compelled to help the unfortunate creature they'd also once attempted to rob.

They stood to gain very little from a galdor's return to magical prowess, regardless of who that galdor was and no matter how much said galdor might have enjoyed their physical company.

Sex was easy.

Friendship was hard.

Their lip curled into the hint of a pout, the assurance that once he had some taste of power, he'd be on his way to conquer the erseholes who'd robbed him blind and burned his entire life to the ground, first as a child and now as a man tasting bitter behind the smooth, fruity flavors infused into this particular roast of kofi. That was how these things always went, wasn't it?

Xav thought to tease Elias about thanking the other Bastian, but they didn't want to push their luck.

"There's help I can't give a jent, ye chen. Spoke vroo ent got all yer rules, an' it ent like I was really riskin' much." They enjoyed their life—travel and music, a bit of petty larceny for fun—but at the same time, what did it really matter here in Anaxas? Hardly any more than it'd meant in Gior.

Looking back to Niccolette, the willowy creature's colorless eyelids fluttered and their smile was saccharine, "Ye weren't expectin' a deep answer, I hope. 'Cause I don't have one. M'haps I'm too fresh from Surwood's festival an' felt a bit too much brotherly love for fami that ent mine. Ye came, eh? That says somethin'."

⟡ ☾° ⟡
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Old Rose Harbor”

• Information