[PM to Join] Natural Disasters

Open for Play
Anaxas' main trade port; it is also the nation's criminal headquarters, home to the Bad Brothers and Silas Hawke, King of the Underworld. The small town of Plugit is nearby.

Sebastian Morgenstern
Topics: 5
Race: Galdor
: Idiot Savant Himbo
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Mochi
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:14 pm

Bethas 18, 2720
Somewhere Cheap, evening.

Baz glanced between the two of them as he was told that they didn’t have anything planned, really. He nodded, and was about to set about covering his portion of dinner and make his exit when Charlie piped up. He placed his hands on the table in a very deliberate manner and looked between himself and Chrysanthe before proclaiming that they were going to go “somewhere fun”. It was clear from the tone of his voice that Baz was to be included.

Baz’s brow furrowed at that vague description, his arms crossing. “Somewhere fun” could mean any number of things, and he had a suspicion that Charlie Ewing’s definition of “fun” did not exactly line up with everyone else’s. He considered the proposition a bit, his skeptical expression shifting to one of mild surprise as Chrysanthe agreed. The next day was a nine, which meant no work for him, so there was really little harm in giving in to the growing curiosity about what exactly Charlie meant by fun.

Eventually, he shrugged. “I guess I’m in as well,” he said, “I don’t really have anything else to do tonight.”

There was a part of him, some small little part, that was trying to tell him that he was going to regret this choice, but he decided to ignore it for now. He could always leave if he didn’t like the look of whatever it was Charlie was dragging them into, and he knew Chrysanthe had enough sense to do the same. He glanced up and around for their waitress.

“I suppose we should see about settling the bill, then.”

Tags:
Charlie Ewing
Topics: 4
: Pretty Trash
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O'Rushes

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Bethas 18, 2720 - Later Evening
Somewhere Cheap
Both of his companions had looked at him dubiously after he had made his declaration. Baz even went so far as to cross his arms. That was all right; it couldn't be helped, really. They had heard his stories, but they hadn't been present for any of them. He could hardly blame either of them for not understanding what he was offering. Luckily enough for them both, Chrysanthe had a sense of adventure. Baz might also, Charlie allowed, but somehow he thought Mr. Handsome Freckles over there wouldn't have come along without Chrysanthe's agreeing first.

"Excellent!" Charlie clapped his hands together once, all good mood and bright smiling. He had a vague idea where he wanted to take them. Three gin slings into this dinner, Charlie knew this was a very excellent idea. They might not, perhaps, appreciate the full majesty of it right away, his friends. Friend-and-a-half. Adventure companions. But they'd see in the end, probably.

After all, it wasn't like he was taking them to Voedale or even to the dodgier parts of the waterfront. He could have, and he considered it. They were fine, really. At least, Charlie had been fine so far any time he'd gone. Mostly. Still here, wasn't he? Exactly. No, he had a better idea than that. Also, Sharkswell was closer.

Charlie pushed himself back and came to stand. There wasn't the slightest bit of wobble in it. He was still grinning, positively giddy with excitement. Well, that was overstating it. But he was very pleased with his own idea. He fished around in his pocket for the money he knew he'd owe for his own dinner and—because he was a gentleman, of course—two of his drinks.

"I'm going to smoke," he declared. He had neither intent nor interest in trying to flag down their charming little waitress. Charlie walked a few steps away from the table before he turned back on his heels. He stopped, fished around in his pockets again, and added enough for a tip. Not a generous tip, but a tip. The service here did not improve for poor tippers. "I'll be outside."

They could sort out their bills however they'd like. Charlie gave them both a short wave, then left to stand out side. It was true night now, the street awash in soft phosphor from the street lamps and between it, the less-steady flicker of oil lamps from nearby windows. His pale hands dug around in his jacket, looking for his cigarette case and matches. When he flicked the metal case open, his smile got wider. He had very nearly forgotten that he'd paid a visit to Ten just the other night. He'd save that for later, when they were more on their way.

Now, he just took another cheap cigarette out and lit it. The smoke flooded his lungs with the first deep inhale. After a while, Chrysanthe and Baz appeared. Charlie looked up at both of them—they were both so godsdamn tall—and his face brightened again.

"This way!" Charlie gestured with his cigarette up the street, away from his flat. Towards their destination, more or less. He waited a moment to be assured they would follow, and then set off. "Have I told either of you about the one where I very nearly ended up on a ship bound for the Islands? No? Well!"

Yes, this was an excellent idea. He could already tell.
Chrysanthe Palmifer
Topics: 9
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Late Evening, Bethas 18, 2720
Headed Away from Somewhere Cheap
Charlie announced he was off for a cigarette and promptly went off outside, leaving a pile of coins on the table. True to form, he looked thoroughly pleased with himself.

Chrysanthe finished up the last of her food, and what was left of her beer as well – it was, she thought ruefully, not much; she hadn’t quite meant to order a second beer, let alone to drink it, and yet here they were. She grinned at Baz again. “I suppose I oughtn’t to judge too much – he isn’t really as bad as he makes himself out to be – but Charlie, Baz? Really? Good lady.”

Chrysanthe laughed, just a little; she drank the very last of her beer, and took out her coin purse, paying for the gin sling she’d promised Charlie as recompense for her impromptu haircut as well as her own beers and her dinner. “How’ve you been?” Chrysanthe asked, taking the moment to actually talk to Baz, however briefly. “Overall, I mean. You’re happy with work? Things are going well?” She smiled at him. “I’ve the sense we shan’t have much more time to talk the two of us,” she laughed, just a little, glancing at the door. “He does like to be center of attention, doesn’t he?”

Once Baz had paid as well, once he’d answered what he could of her question in the few moments they had, Chrysanthe didn’t hesitate much longer.

“I do want to catch up some time,” Chrysanthe said, smiling at Baz, “but I’m a bit frightened by the thought of what he’ll do if we leave him alone too long. I’ll be in the Rose a bit longer, and then – I’m not sure, really, but I might well be back. It’d be really see more of you, Baz; I’ve missed you.” She really had, she thought, smiling; she couldn’t think, suddenly, why she hadn’t tried to come visit him in the Rose. She’d meant to, she thought, at some point, and – like so many other things, it had fallen by the wayside, these last two years. She’d meant, Chrysanthe thought ruefully, to do a lot of things; some of them she’d managed, and yet even those hadn’t worked out as she’d hoped.

Chrysanthe glanced at the door again, and raised her eyebrows at Baz. “How bad can it be, right?” She grinned and pulled her jacket back on, smoothing her newly short (and somewhat uneven) hair over the collar with a pleased little smile, and made her way towards the door, heading cheerfully out into the night.

“I don’t think you have,” Chrysanthe said, cheerfully enough, when Charlie asked if he’d told them about nearly ending up on a ship to the Isles; she stuck her hands in her pockets, following Charlie down the dark street towards the unknown, rather unsure what might come their way, and just barely too tipsy to worry about it.

Sebastian Morgenstern

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:04 pm

Bethas 18, 2720
Just leaving Somewhere Cheap, late evening.

Baz watched as Charlie excused himself to go smoke while they finished up and settled the bill. He was left alone with Chrys, who wasted little time in teasing him in regards to his choice in bedfellows. He could almost feel it coming as soon as Charlie got up. He scrubbed his hands over his face and groaned, leaning back.

"It's probably worse that I knew him for all of an hour before I jumped in bed with him," he said, ruefully, "but I was drunk and he is very pretty."

Chrysanthe polished off her beer while he fished out his wallet and paid for his portion, adding to the money Charlie had left, which was again added to when Chrys settled her portion as well.

Baz smiled warmly as she asked him how he was, really. About work and how things were going in general. "I'm doing well," he said, "Really, I am. I miss my family sometimes, but work is good. I'm learning a lot."

She mentioned Charlie, and he snickered. "He does get rather put-out if you ignore him. I also worry what he'll get up to on his own. And what we're getting dragged into."

"We do need to catch up," he agreed, "I've missed you too. I don't know what sort of night we're in for, but I'm free tomorrow and the 20."

He rummaged in his pockets, pulling out a little notebook and a pencil and scribbling his address on a page near the back before tearing it out and handing it to her. "That's where I'm living now," he said, "You can send word if you want to meet up for lunch or something, or just stop by. I'm usually home."

He pulled on his coat and buttoned it up, following Chrysanthe into the cool Bethas night. Charlie was waiting for them as he said he would, smoking away, the thin tendrils of it curling up and disappearing into the night air. He still did look rather striking in the light of the street lamps. He mentioned something about a ship bound for the isles, and Baz gave a snort of laughter. After the story about his supposed serial killer, he didn't think much else would surprise him.

"You're likely about to," he said, sliding his hands in his pockets. "Lead on, Charlie."

Charlie Ewing

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Bethas 18, 2720 - Later and Later
Between Cantile and Sharkswell
The question had been somewhat rhetorical; he knew he'd told neither of them this particular story. At least, he was fairly certain—he'd told them each a slightly different set of stories on their own, and hadn't told them this one together as a group.

"Just so," he agreed as Baz put his hands in his pockets. Charlie had already started walking, moving steadily in the general direction of their next destination without much of a wobble in his step despite the three drinks he'd had already. He felt all over much better than he had before those, warm and a little fuzzy around the edges. His coat was unbuttoned, despite the chill. The night air that cut across still had a bite to it, this time of year. It was pleasantly bracing just now; in an hour's time he'd be grumbling with his hands deep in his pockets, perhaps, but that was later.

Or maybe he wouldn't be grumbling at all—it rather depended on how the joint in his cigarette case suited him, when he got around to it. He thought he'd finish his story first, then offer. He thought Chrysanthe would take it, but he wasn't so sure about Baz. Maybe. Fucking someone on their birthday didn't precisely give you a deep insight into their character. Perhaps he was less proper than he seemed. One never knew.

"It started," he intoned, turning around backwards to look at them while he walked, each step easy and comfortable, "with a rather unfortunate decision to try my hand at cards. I'm not much of Rooks player," he wound on, voice settling into the story, only turning around after it was well underway. The trail of smoked followed him, and his breath too.

The neighborhood was changing in character gradually as they went on, Charlie animatedly telling a story about losing at a round of cards he'd over-bet on, running away, and then getting gloriously drunk. It was a subtle shift from the moderate levels of respectability of this part of Cantile to increasingly lower levels as they got further towards Sharkswell. Charlie paid very little attention to it, too used to all of it to care. He just kept on steadily with his story. He must have run into a sailor, at some point, because he'd woken up on the boat.

"If I'd slept much longer, I don't know if I'd be standing here today. I can't swim, you know." Charlie grinned, tossing the look over his shoulder. He had finished the last of his cigarette, and they were almost out of Cantile and into Sharkswell proper. Now, he thought, was a good time to pause for something else. Charlie stopped, leaning against a stretch of wall. He waved Chrysanthe and Baz over, looking particularly pleased with himself.

He opened his cigarette case with a flourish, the joint obvious next to his cheap cigarettes. "Ta-da! I have a bonus." Whatever their reaction was, Charlie wasn't to be deterred. He pulled it out and put in his mouth, freeing up his hands to both put the case away and get out his matches. He struck one; it didn't catch. Frustrating. The third time it did, though, and he lit up. Charlie, of course, happily filled his own lungs first before holding it out to his two companions.

"I did promise fun," he said cheerfully. He knew fun, and he was going to prove it.
Chrysanthe Palmifer

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Chrysanthe had made an amused little face when Baz had confessed just how short of a time he had known Charlie before they’d gone to bed together. It’s probably better, she’d half wanted to say, and she wasn’t quite sure what had stopped her. It wasn’t quite the impropriety, for all she knew she’d been a good deal more strait-laced when she and Baz had been friends. That, as much as her relatively recent discoveries about her sexuality, seemed a strange thing to bring up. By the way, Baz, I took up smoking for a little while, but don’t worry – I’ve stopped.

All the same, it wasn’t that she worried what he’d think of her or her morals. He was too – well – too Baz for that, Chrysanthe thought. It was more that it felt unkind, and she wasn’t sure whether it was the unkindness to him or Charlie or both that bothered her. Charlie wasn’t even here to defend himself, of course, not that she really thought it should bother him.

Very little, Chrysanthe thought wryly, seemed to; she thought of the stories he told, and then abruptly of the one he’d veered away from, petulant and hurt, and wasn’t sure what to make of that, not now any more than she had then.

“I am too,” Chrysanthe said, smiling, when Baz told her when he would be free. “We’ll see how it goes tomorrow – I’m afraid I’ll have a terrible head already – but certainly the twenty I’m around.” She took the paper from him and tucked it away, smiling at him.

They went back out into the cool night then, Chrysanthe and Baz trailing behind Charlie as he set about down the streets, voice cheerfully raised in one of those sorts of stories he really did rather like. Chrysanthe glanced around a little as they went, looking at the beggars and the steadily larger bars on the window of storefronts before, abruptly, they shifted over into the sort of stores which seemed no longer to require them, for all that the streets and the rest had not gotten any less shabby.

That was not, Chrysanthe felt rather strongly, encouraging.

Chrysanthe’s eyebrows lifted when Charlie pulled out what had to be a joint. He lit it up – eventually – and took a drag on it. Chrysanthe glanced at the paper tube, and then at Baz; something was almost challenging in the grin and the lift of her dark eyebrows, and she turned and took the joint from Charlie.

“You did,” Chrysanthe said, and her voice was warm with something between amusement and skepticism. She hadn’t done much of the sort since returning to Anaxas – once or twice with friends in Vienda. Never at Brunnhold, of course, although she’d been far more experimental in Gior.

With a shrug, Chrysanthe put the joint to her lips and took a drag; she didn’t cough, holding the smoke in her mouth for a few moments, and then letting the last of it trickle out between her lips. She turned and extended the paper to Baz, grinning a bit curiously; if he refused, she wouldn’t press the issue, but would return to it Charlie without further mention.

Sebastian Morgenstern

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Bethas 18, 2720
Somewhere near Sharkswell, late evening.

Baz followed along as Charlie led them to wherever it was they were going, his hands still in his pockets, walking in step with Chrysanthe. He was only really half-listening to the story he was telling. Something about a bad game of rooks and waking up on a boat, which didn’t surprise him. He was mostly focused on where they were, heading away from Cantile and towards Sharkswell, as near as he knew. He didn’t recognize the area, but that wasn’t unusual. The Rose was a big place, and there was a lot of it that Baz hadn’t been to before. He was a bit of a homebody, really. Work and home, and people or bird watching on his days off.

The area they were in seemed to get progressively more run-down. That was probably not a good sign, but Charlie seemed confident and Chrysanthe seemed at least a bit confident in him. If she had been the one they were following, he didn’t think he would be quite as concerned as he was now. He trusted her implicitly, and had for many years, with all manner of things, and it had yet to be something he regretted. It seemed like a good choice to follow her lead as they continued. She knew Charlie better than he did, after all. Speaking of Charlie, he had stopped near a wall and was beckoning them over to him. With a flourish and a “ta-da”, he flipped open his cigarette case to present what was undoubtedly a joint of… something, nestled in with his cigarettes.

He watched as Charlie took it out and struggled for a moment to get his match to light. It caught eventually, and he took a long drag before offering the joint to Chrysanthe and himself. Chrysanthe took it without question, which made Baz think that, perhaps, she might trust Charlie a little more than she should. He raised a brow as she inhaled with what seemed to be practiced ease, and wondered what he had missed in the time since they had last seen one another. She offered it to him next. He hesitated for a moment. He’d never been the experimental sort. Several of his school friends had been, and they had occasionally invited Baz to join them, but his use of substances generally began and ended with alcohol. He knew there would be no hard feelings or more than a gentle ribbing if he refused now. All the same, though, what was the harm in trying it?

He reached out and took it from her, considering it for a moment before bringing it to his lips and taking a drag. He inhaled a bit wrongly, though, coughing a cloud of smoke into his coat sleeve as he held it out for Charlie to take back. Somehow he doubted the — whatever it was, was to be the extent of their evening. The taste of it lingered on his tongue, which shortly began to feel a bit fuzzy. Another small cough crept up on him. He cleared his throat, looking to Charlie again.

“Surely that’s not all you’ve got planned,” he said. He did get the feeling he would regret it, but he hadn’t seen anything to make him turn tail quite yet.

Charlie Ewing

Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 pm

Bethas 18, 2720 - Later and Later
Charlie knew Chrysanthe smoked. Well, he knew she had taken his cigarettes happily enough after claiming to have quit. The stories from Gior had been in the past tense, he supposed. He didn't really care if either of them took it from him or not, if he were honest. More for him if they didn't. But he was just the smallest bit curious to see how hard he was going to have to work to get them to actually let themselves have fun. Proper fun.

"That's the spirit," he said, delighted, when Chrysanthe shrugged and took the joint from him. She didn't cough, which he wouldn't have expected. He had expected her to ask him what it was he was handing her; he thought she might trust him, which made the skin on the back of his neck itch. Well, it was fine. There wasn't anything terrible in it. As far as he knew. Nothing Ten had ever sold him had killed him so far.

She held it out to Baz then, smoke dripping slow throw her lips. She grinned, and Charlie raised his eyebrows curiously. He had no idea what to expect from the tallest and most freckled of their merry band at all. They hadn't had much of a conversation when they met; they hadn't had much of one tonight, either. Charlie had done a lot of talking, but not so much listening. Oh well—it didn't matter. His stories were very good, to be fair to himself.

Still. He had raised his own eyebrows when Chrysanthe had taken the joint from him; because she'd taken it from him, or because she'd taken it at all? Charlie hadn't the faintest idea. They were old school friends, weren't they? Charlie didn't really have many old school friends, so he wasn't sure if that was the sort of thing that surprised someone about them. Cherry, he supposed; she kind of counted. She was still in school though, and also, was a wildcat badly disguised as girl. Normal standards didn't apply.

Anyway. It didn't matter what was or wasn't normal, all Charlie really wanted to know was if Baz would smoke or not. To his surprise, he did take the joint from Chrysanthe after a much shorter moment of hesitation than Charlie would have expected. He did cough; Charlie only barely stopped himself from laughing. He took it back, putting it to his own mouth again with what he thought was a rather small amount of emphasis on the gesture. He was just teasing, anyway.

Charlie snorted and shook his head, not quite setting off again. "Absolutely not," he declared. "If I were just going to get you high—you're welcome, by the way—I wouldn't take us all the way to Sharkswell to do it. Could have smoked behind the restaurant, like civilized people. No, we're going somewhere else. This is a mere prelude."

Charlie waggled his eyebrows, still looking extremely pleased with himself. His idea was very good, he thought. At the very least, he would give them a story to take away. Not as good as his usually were, probably, but quite good anyway. He wanted to finish this first, though, before they kept walking, deeper and deeper into the less reputable parts of the neighborhood.
Chrysanthe Palmifer

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:14 am

Chrysanthe really hadn’t had anything in the way of expectations when she offered Baz the cigarette. Honestly, if she’d actually thought about it – if someone had asked her, for example, to place a bet, although she was generally not in the habit of wasting coin in such a way, she would have guessed he wouldn’t take it. He’d been thoroughly straitlaced in school, of course. Thought, Chrysanthe thought, to be fair so had she, and she imagined that a few years in the Rose might be as salutary a lesson as the time she’d spent in Gior.

Baz surprised her by reaching out and taking the joint. He studied it and took a drag, coughing; Chrysanthe winced, sympathetically, guessing he might have gotten a larger hit than he’d intended, depending on how it had gone down.

Chrysanthe laughed at Baz’s question and it didn’t quite peter out at Charlie’s answer. Charlie looked thoroughly smug, and Baz looked as if he were trying to suppress another cough. At this stage, she thought, amused, he ought to know better than to egg Charlie on; she was left with a rather terrible feeling that the effects of too much encouragement would be wholly bad for him, and was tragically aware that she had already been doing more than her fair share of the same.

Chrysanthe had a nagging sort of feeling that she really ought to have asked, but – she wasn’t sure the answer should have been terribly illuminating, all the same. That is, most of that which could be smoked in a rolled joint, with an earthy smell, wasn’t too awful or too dangerous. Besides, Charlie had taken the first drag himself, and so – surely –

Chrysanthe was aware, abruptly, of the gap in her drunk logic, and yet it was, naturally, already too late.

When Charlie passed the joint around again, she took another drag – her last, Chrysanthe promised herself, rather firmly, or at least her second to last. She’d take no more than one more hit. She offered it to Baz once more, again rather without expectation. Her recollection of him was as someone who barely drank – but, then, Chrysanthe supposed, he must have the same memory of her.

“I’m glad you’ve joined us in our dissolution,” Chrysanthe told Baz, cheerfully. “We were,” she told Charlie, smiling at him, “terribly upright sorts of people in school, I’m afraid.” Her head was feeling a little light now, and Chrysanthe grinned, sheepishly. “Giorans have rather a different sort of attitude towards such things,” she explained, “and then – one finds oneself drinking strange teas, eating mushrooms just this side of poisonous and smoking – oh, you know – lichen and whatever else.”

She wasn’t quite sure why she was explaining; it wasn’t as if she thought Charlie would be impressed, or Baz either. It’s been four years, she wanted to say, and perhaps she was self-conscious after all, rightly or wrongly. I’ve changed, Baz, I think, in more than just my haircut.

Sebastian Morgenstern

Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 pm

Bethas 18, 2720
Somewhere near Sharkswell, late evening.

The joint was passed around again, and he took it this time without hesitation, taking another drag. He didn’t cough this time, holding the smoke in his mouth as he handed it off to Charlie once again. He didn’t much like the taste of whatever it was they were smoking, he’d decided. It was a bit bitter and lingered a bit too heavily on his tongue after he’d exhaled. He realized, though, that it made his mind a hell of a lot quieter and, oddly enough, clearer. The low buzz of background noise he was used to was gone. He was focused on that silence for a bit, at least until Chrysanthe started talking. Terribly upright sorts, she said. He smiled faintly. He still was terribly upright, he was afraid to admit. He hadn’t really changed much at all. He certainly hadn’t done anything as interesting as she had.

It had been four years since they had last seen each other, and it sounded like she had done much in that time. Her time in Gior had clearly been good for her. She certainly seemed less tightly wound than she had when they were children. There was a little, sour voice in his mind, though, telling him that she had grown beyond him. He shoved it out of the way sharply, which was perhaps made easier by the drugs. It was wrong, of course. People changed, it was a fact of life. He couldn’t hold it against her. Just because she was a little different now didn’t mean she wasn’t still his friend. She was still Chrysanthe. He slid his hands back in his pockets and shifted to lean on the wall beside Charlie until he was ready to set off again. If the joint was passed around again, though, he’d refuse this time.

“I’m almost afraid to ask what it’s a prelude to,” he said, raising his brow at Charlie. It was a rhetorical statement. He was certain no amount of poking or prodding would wrestle any details from their rakish companion, so he didn’t try to push the issue. Charlie had made it fairly clear that the events to follow were going to be a surprise. Good or bad, or course, remained to be seen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Old Rose Harbor”

• Information