I Ent Ne Tumble!

Az is just minding her own business when Leo gets entirely the wrong idea about her

Open for Play
Anaxas' main trade port; it is also the nation's criminal headquarters, home to the Bad Brothers and Silas Hawke, King of the Underworld. The small town of Plugit is nearby.

Aziza
Topics: 9
Race: Wick
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Maximus
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Yaris 13, 2717
It didn't matter that they were close to the water, it was still incredibly hot, even at night. Sure, it wasn't Mugroba - the clue was that she didn't have sand in any uncomfortable places - but it was hot enough, especially if you were indoors. All the good places to be on a night like this were full of people and she didn't want to be stuck in a stuffy room with overheated, sweaty people. The spoke had tried but by the Circle, it was just too clocking hot with all those bodies around.

Still, the young woman wasn't quite ready to go home yet, not while her mother was likely to still be up, ready to gripe about this and that. The dry heat of the season played havoc with the woman's condition, her poor health going downhill when the heat stole the moisture from her very breath and her hacking coughs kept her from her rest. Nazia was irritable and bitter, ready to scream at her daughter for the smallest things and Aziza had no desire to go home to her and her questions and pointless rage. So instead, the Mug had decided to hang around Old Rose Harbour, on the denk while she waited for time to pass.

The witch bummed a cannabis spur from a Mugrobi that she knew, taking the time to flirt with him, keeping his interest until she'd gotten a light and could sashay away, certain that his eyes were firmly fixed on her as she departed. The idea that he might follow her, taking her forwardness for real interest, wasn't something that occurred to her. The Mug witch simply went through life doing as she wished but never meaning any harm. The effect she had on other people just never occurred to her. Her mother said that she paid less attention than a leaf carried along on Hulali's waters.

She found a low wall to perch herself on so she could enjoy her spur in peace, colourful skirt gathered up while her dark legs were left to dangle, one foot idly swinging back and forth in a steady rhythm, softly striking the wall behind it. She took a long drag, inhaling as much of the pungent smoke as she could before releasing her breath in a sigh of contentment. She took her time, the narcotic burning steadily and adding to her mellowness. Aziza smiled in a slightly dreamy way, hardly minding the heat or the sweat that slicked the back of her neck in spite of her putting her braids up into buns.

The young woman was friendly by nature but the drug wore down any remaining barriers, leaving her smiling at those few souls who passed by, her gaze lingering far longer than necessary on each one - intimate and inviting.

She was more than halfway through her spur when she slipped into a sharing mood. She glanced at her spur, realised that it wouldn't last much longer and then decided to call out to the next guy that came along.

"Junta, kov! D'ye want some o' this?" she called out, waving the cigarette in a lazy arc through the air, a lopsided grin on her face. "C'mere, dint be shy."

Tags:
Leander
Topics: 16
Race: Passive
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Dizzy

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am

On certain nights, Leander preferred to seek escape, not his preferred methods, but in that of company. Sometimes he searched for anything with sharp enough wits to keep up with him, though that was rare, truth be told, when the vast majority of people he met were uneducated, illiterate sobs who spoke of people rather than things. But isolation had consequences of their own and, though Leo would not consider himself to be a particularly physically demonstrative man, he had grown into the habit of seeking adult company. Preferably female adult company. To be specific female, adult company that was not opposed to the odd amorous and frisky, yet totally meaningless, liaison.

Tonight was not one such night. But when his solitary walk was interrupted by the heckle of a woman sat just left of his path, his pace slowed. Glancing her up and down, he decided that maybe his mind could be persuaded to fall in line with organs but lower down his body and he diverted his course to approach the female. Soliciting wasn’t common - well, Leo didn’t actually know whether it was common or not, but he had not experienced it until now. She probably cost far more than he could afford, looking at her, but she had been the one to call him over so maybe he would be lucky in getting lucky tonight.

Hello, darlin’” he greeted, passing over the words he hadn’t understood and focusing on the pat which he had, “Very kind of you to offer, but it looks like you’re enjoying it very well yourself. Would hate to deprive you of such a pleasure.” But he made food on the invitation to join her, and sat on the low wall beside her. “Name’s Leo,” he introduced himself, choosing the diminutive form - much easier for her to remember and scream later on.

The passive did not accept her offer of a drag, though. Sometimes he liked to mix his nights with drinks, drugs, gambling, and women (or men - he wasn’t picky). But tonight wasn’t one such night. Drugs were a relatively new ares of exploration for him and the burning plant was not something he had tried before. With no way to know what id did, or how it would affect him, he preferred to avoid it when there was the promise of a much more satisfying end to the evening inside something that looked so much warmer than the embers burning brightly with each drag the woman took.

There was a lazy way about how the woman held herself. Leander wondered if that was he natural - well, acted - way of pulling in her punters, or if it was the drug playing its part. Either way, she had been the one to call him over, so he did not need to concern himself with why she presented herself the way she did. She wanted what he found himself wanting, and that was enough for him. “Is that something which could be made better with a drink?” Leo asked, nodding towards eat remaining spur, almost down to its butt now.
Aziza

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Yaris 13, 2717
The wick took another puff of her spur, considering the man closely as her lips pursed in a pout at his refusal. She shrugged, blowing the smoke out as if to say, "Suit yourself." This stuff was pretty fair but if he didn't want any then he only had himself to blame for missing out.

"If ye change yer mind... well, best be quick, ent ye?" she pointed out with a laugh, white teeth flashing. "It's fair benny, 'specially since I dint buy it meself."

She shuffled a little away from him to give him more room, even though he was only a slight thing compared to her. Still, the woman was aware that there was a fair bit of meat on her bones and she didn't want all of it squashed up against him; he might take fright.

"Aziza. Tha's me," she shot back, a more exotic accent colouring the syllables of her name, richer than the way she spoke Tek. There was also a slowness to her speech now, a slight slur that made her drawl. She was making an effort not to pepper her speech with too much Tek though, his manner of speech a tad too proper to be anything less than pure Estuan. He probably didn't understand the pidgin but whether she could stick to her thoughtful endeavour...

She smiled lazily, waving the wrapped cannabis near his face despite his refusal as if to tempt him. Part of her drug-addled mind wondered why he'd come to sit with her if it wasn't for the drugs; most of it didn't care about the why of the matter. The Mugrobi always flourished best in company, seeking out others in the same way that plants sought the sun.

She smoked more, well aware that the plant was fast disappearing, the burn not far from her fingertips now as she settled herself a little nearer to him, reaching up to try to use his shoulder as an armrest. The nearness of a stranger didn't bother her and the thought of frightening him off had now evaporated from her mind. She scrutinised him, one eye closing while the other caught him in a squint as she released more fragrant smoke into the air between him.

"Oh oes, a drink'd hit th'spot, alrigh'? Ye off'rin'? 'Cos I'd be mucha 'bliged," she almost purred, the eagerness in her voice unmistakeable as both eyes focused on him once more, heavily hooded. "Are ye off'rin' t'buy me one? I'd like tha'," the witch added as she recalled that she was meant to be speaking more clearly than normal. She didn't care about the why. Could be that he was returning her offer, could be that he wanted company or was after more. The Mugrobi didn't really mind; she was always amenable.

The burn at the insides of her fingers made her look around, cursing the spur in Tek as she brought it to her mouth, shifting her grip once it was between her lips so she could take one more drag before dropping it, sucking at her fingers. She moved her foot to grind the spur out under her heel and slid off her perch, clutching at Leo with her nearest remaining hand to arrest her descent, the others still occupied in her mouth. She freed up her other hand, reaching back to regain her purchase as she giggled.

"If ye meant for th' drink ta go wi' th'spur, yer a bit late," Aziza explained with another laugh. "We're still gonna get it, oes- I mean, yes? C'mon."

She'd get herself standing again with or without his help, using a hand to brush vigorously at the back of her skirt to free it of dust and dirt from her former seat.

"Where to, hama?"
Last edited by Aziza on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Ah, if not your own, then how can you know for sure what it is?” Leander’s tone was almost chastising, as if reprimanding a small child who had acted without thinking. The young passive was always on the search of something to being more [any] colour into his life, but for all his recklessness, he would never take something if it didn’t come from a reputable source. He’s seen the results of people taking their thrill seeking too far, losing not just themselves, but everything else in their lives.

Either way, she seemed to be handling whatever it was, in control enough for her voice to have her intended effect. The way she said her name was like the warm promise of the sun’s rays in the morning, or of starlight’s twinkle as they guide too lovers towards each other. Yet there was a slurring quality too, enough for Leo to think this would be an easy conquest. She seemed to want it as much as him. When re-offered the cannabis, he merely shook his head, smiling as if the lessen the blow his refusal: he was only refusing that, but everything else was still on the table.

Aziza, a beautiful name to match a beautiful face.” He wondered if she knew what he was. He had read a little of other nations and their cultures… and of their views towards passives. There were exceptions to every rule, of course, but Leo didn’t know how long Aziza had been here - her accent meant nothing, not when Leo himself had retained his own natural accent. “Of course I’m offering… wouldn’t be right for a gentleman not to look after his lady.

He stood and offered his hand to the foreign woman, helping her to stand if she accepted. “Do you know Old Rose Harbor well?” Leander asked as he began walking, snaking his arm around he to rest on the small of her back, a motion he had watched his father do a thousand times with his mother. It had always seemed like the epitome of manners when with a woman, and this seemed like the right time to mimic it. “I know a lovey place where the drinks will make you forget your spliff. And absolutely divine food, if you’re hungry.

They fell into companionable silence for a while as they walked. For his part, Leander was simply enjoying the quiet of the evening Ol’ Rose was normally abuzz with life, and it was refreshing to find a moment of peace. He was hopeful that the tavern would be just as quiet. “So what brought you to Old Rose Harbor?” It was neither an assuming question, nor an intrusive one: she was obviously a foreigner, but maybe she called this place home, and maybe she didn’t want to talk about it, so it was broad enough that she could be as vague as she liked.
Aziza

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:18 am

Yaris 13, 2717
His disapproving question about knowing what was in the spur drew a husky laugh from the young woman, amusement dancing in brown eyes as she looked at Leander sidelong, reading into his caution with mild interest.

"I've smoked enough ov'em t'know what I'm gettin', ye chen? There might be more'n grass in it but it dint matter much. It's good, what more d'ye want? Take it ye dint smoke it much, maybe none, else ye wouldn't ask summat like that," the witch threw back, still chuckling.

She was comfortable in this pretty boy's presence, usually comfortable in the presence of most people but it wasn't a universal truth; some people rattled her. He seemed strangely innocent for the Rose, something about the face probably, and so she hardly saw him as a threat. His lack of field would hardly turn her off him as she'd had friends and companions of all sorts. The only difference would be if she knew that he was imbali, then she'd be inclined to give him a sympathetic pat, to try to coddle him for his disability. Imbali needed to be looked after, everybody knew that although Anaxas seemed to have a different view. Still, her views were her own and this kingdom would have a hard time changing them.

Still, his smooth line about her name elicited both an eye roll and an appreciative blush that made her cheeks dusky. Her smile showed that even though she knew it was a line that it had gone down well all the same, the woman giving him a playful little nudge with her elbow.

"Oh ye're a charmer, I see," she commented unnecessarily, her smile sly as she stood, taking the offered hand. "A gen'leman lookin' after 'is lady, eh? Dint see any gen'lemen round here or ladies. Dint think there's a kov round here that has a chip all t'himself neither," she drawled out, enough control in her voice to make her words clear but there was still that bit of a slur.

In spite of her words, she was more than happy to let him snake his arm around her, what she'd said little more than sport. She leaned into him, vaguely amused that he was only slightly taller than her although it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. If he'd been a bit taller, she'd have rested her head against his shoulder but she was still comfortable enough, moving her head in close to his. The position had its advantages, allowing her to speak with him without having to raise her voice but it definitely made her more likely to slur, a fact not helped by the fact that she kept forgetting that she wasn't meant to be using Tek.

"Know it well 'nuff, I s'pose. I've bin here a fair bit, mind I'm only passing through now, jus' for a little bit," she explained, wondering how well she knew the place. Old Rose Harbor was big although she had definitely seen an awful lot of it. She had also seen a lot of it while lacking a clear head so her knowledge should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

She was enjoying the mellow feeling that the spliff had given her, less inclined to talk than she normally was, nodding in lazy, almost sleepy acknowledgement that could have been taken as nuzzling as they walked, quite happy to let the man support her as she nearly napped on her feet. His next question earned a rapid blink, an attempt at alertness as she tried to come back into her senses.

Conversation, she was meant to be having that. This man was a stranger and yet she'd forgotten, allowing herself to become all too comfortable in her grasp. This was the sort of behaviour that earned her mother's ire, the disapproving tut of 'tumble' on her lips. But it wasn't like any harm was being done, was it? Nazia just had to be so bloody interfering. She was a wick, wasn't she? She should have more freedom to do whatever the hell she wanted!

"Jus' passing through, I'll leave come Dentis. Yaris dint agree with me daoa's lungs, too dry so I bring her t' stay near th'water. I'll be back 'round here in a few months, more'n likely. I jus' like to move around an' not every place in Anaxas is good to the like o' me. They don't like my sort in Vienda at all. It is what it is but I dint get looked at like I was dirty in Mugroba, tha' was better," she explained with a shrug, stretching carefully, clearly not wanting to dislodge his arm.

She settled herself against him once more, fingers coming to rest on the hand that was looped around her, a touch and a tug indicating that he was more than welcome to hold her closer, to encircle her totally.

"What are ye doing in the Rose? Ye sound too posh to be 'round here, least of all 'cos ye dint seem t'know th' Tek. Sorry 'bout tha', the Tek, I mean. I use it a lot, dint I?"
Leander

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:37 am

Each to their own, I suppose,” the passive replied with a shrug, still displaying his disapproval. He was no stranger to illicit drugs, or the more socially accepted once, for that matter. Leo had spent enough time seeking escape, but weed was not something he had tried, admittedly. He liked his supplier: efficient, reliable and, most importantly, discreet. It helped matters that he knew what he was getting, and the effects it would have on his body. “No, I have not had the, ah, joy of trying that particular substance.” The one suggested he had no intention of trying it with her.

But if she wanted to think of him as a green little lad, then so be it. After tonight, there was a high chance they would never see each other again, and Leander saw no point in giving her a full picture of his life. If anything, he pondered, it helped him somewhat to have the girl make her judgements, thus underestimating him. He had a youthful innocence about him. Coupled with the Viendan accent, he must have seemed sorely out of place in this world. An easy target, perhaps? It was no lie that Leo could not hold his own in physical combat but, thus far, he had been lucky enough to count the number of violent confrontations on his fingers. His quick and calculating mind would see him past such barbarian outcomes.

Ah, but the pretty little thing was not as air-headed as he had initially assumed. She took his compliment for what it was. Refreshing, but also frustrating - Leander had no desire to work for his prize tonight. “When the mood suits,” he replied, an easy smile playing on his lips as the pair began to walk. “You wound me, sweet Aziza. I am nothing if not a gentleman.” But the tone remained light and playful. The tips of his fingers tracing a meaningless pattern on the small of her back, pointedly not venturing further south.

They weaved between buildings and milling people, Leo using the placement of his hand to effortlessly steer the young woman beside him and he took the well trodden path. There wasn’t a single drinking establishment in the harbour that couldn’t say Leander was a regular of. He liked variety, after all, but he had his favourites, and he was better behaved in some. This was one such tavern. “Sounds like an exciting life,” the passive murmured as he pulled the door to swing open and allowed Aziza inside first. To him, it sounded anything but - did the woman have no sense of purpose? “Anaxas its charm, but it is true most find it rather unappealing.” Leander smiled wryly as he pulled out a chair for the exotic lady before taking his own seat.

I’ve lived here for the best part of a decade,” the passive admitted, the smile still plastered into place, yet never quite reaching his eyes. “/It is my home, for my sins. However you are not wrong: despite the years, I haven’t quite bought into the culture.” He glanced over to the bar, quick to shift the conversation. “I recommend the duck, it will awaken you to tastes you never dreamed possible.
Aziza

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Yaris 13, 2717
The spoke didn't know why she found his disapproval so amusing, especially given that there was something almost disdainful about what she had done. He'd already refused her offer when she still had the spur so what was it to him? She was welcome to do whatever she wanted, she was a grown woman, getting a bit long in the tooth at this stage - did she not want to find a good man and have children? - but she was quite capable of making her own decisions. She already had her mother criticising her every move but hadn't she nursed her mother back to health? Hadn't she organised their move from Mugroba to Anaxas and supported them since they'd gotten here? Hadn't she provided Nazia with the various drugs that gave her some relief from her condition? Aziza didn't know what this boy thought of her - and he was a boy - but she didn't need his judgements; she got enough criticism from her mother. But let him turn his nose up if he so wished. She was free to do as she wanted, just as he was free in the same way.

"It is a joy actually, but if ye dint want t'know it, tha's on you, ent it?" she shot back, her tone sufficiently airy to show that it wasn't a dig, wasn't said with malice. She was no less warm, no less inclined to lean into him even in spite of the evening's heat. The drugs certainly helped with that, making her care less about the stickiness of her skin or the prospect of delving into the press of equally hot bodies wherever he was taking her. It wasn't that all care was gone, just that minor discomforts like being hot were no longer a priority; she was hungry though and she was content to continue enjoying this young man's company as long as he'd have her.

She didn't judge Leo as much as he might have thought. She found him funny - although it was no doubt unintentional on his part and not humorous in ways he might have intended - and he was attractive. It seemed that he was cautious of her though. Maybe he was wary about letting his guard down, she didn't know, she couldn't read people that well although few were as open as she was. The witch was open, she was trusting but she wasn't stupid even if she was high and she'd had enough people flirt with her, particularly men, so of course she could see the effort to be smooth. When the mood suited for sure!

"Oh oes, plenty o' men can be gen'lemen when the mood suits. A certain kind of mood," she added with a cackle of laughter, wondering wickedly how difficult it'd be to make the young man blush. He was young in the face but older in the eyes so in spite of his physical age, he might not be as susceptible to colouring as many his age were.

Still, she wasn't yet in the mood for conversation, for teasing but was happy to continue leaning against him, letting a hand drift to his chest to play idly with buttons and trace over thin material to gain a sense of the skin beneath. The Mug was quite tactile and not ashamed or self-conscious about investigating a perfect stranger in such a manner. Besides, she was a witch, they typically took the greater initiative in their couplings, sometimes aggressive, sometimes not, it depended on the witch and the culture of the recipient of their attentions. This rather proper-seeming Anaxi didn't seem to have complaints about the woman's forwardness though.

They moved through the streets, the witch allowing herself to be led, not certain of the destination. There were certain areas that she wasn't wholly familiar with and some that she'd never been in while sober. If she'd been in this area before then she didn't remember, couldn't work out where the man was bringing her but she was sure it would be a treat; any food was a treat when it was free. The name of the tavern was of little consequence, the scents that wafted from the interior enough to occupy her for the nonce, providing her with a mix of appetising and distasteful. With the night that was in it, there was a lot of body odour in the air but there was also the aroma of food, which was sufficiently alluring.

"Exciting? Ne, it's... jus'... I dint know if ye can live as much if ye're still, ye chen? Ye stay still, ye... lose sight o' things maybe or... maybe it's a Tekaa thing - a wick thing," she told him with a shrug, her expression one of thoughtful contemplation. "I move, I help more people. I ent got golly learning but I can heal a bit and it's... good to meet people. Ent always easy but...

Her words hung uncertainly in the air, the witch not sure how she wanted to end that sentence, the train of thought drifting away, lost and scattered. She took the seat that the young man pulled out for herself, humming appreciatively, a brow raised, a smirk tugging at her lips. She sat, wiggling to make herself comfortable and found herself considering the man with interest as he gave away a little information about his background.

"Anaxas... has its charm, oes but... I miss Mugroba. Humans, imbali, wick, we ent treated like shit in Mug. Imbali... ye dint meet imbali here 'cos most o' them get locked away in Brunnhold and it's too dang'rous for anyone to know what you are. Ne imbali, ye dint call 'em tha' here uh... passives," she stated, trying to click her fingers as she located the desired term and only managing to make the digits whisper past each other.

There was a greater focus in her brown eyes for a moment, gaze fixed on him quite intently as she leaned closer to him, elbows on the table. "If I ask ye which ye are, ye won't tell me, will ye? Ye're guarded, surprised ye even came over t'me, brought me here when ye... I'm Mug, I dint lie. I dint mean ye any ill but... Anaxi, ye dint trust," do ye? Aziza sighed, smiling sadly as she leaned back, rubbing a hand across the slick skin at the nape of her neck.

"Dint know what ye think I am but I'll trust ye, how 'bout tha'? I'll get yer duck rather than a nice bit o' hingle an'... maybe ye'll decide a drink as well? Long as it's wet, I'll have it. Anything ye wanna ask, I'll answer. Like I said, I dint lie. I can't, it's... immoral."
Leander

Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:58 pm

She was… well not a delight, that was going too far, but Aziza was intriguing. Different. Not from around here. Something new. And that was nice. He was sick of the same old faces. There probably wasn’t a prostitute in the city that Leander didn’t know the name of, even if he hadn’t experienced them for himself. Truth be told, he preferred the company of men, and there were fewer males to taste the delights of, but he made do with what he could get.

When he could afford it, of course.

Probably not as well as me though,” Leander’s arrogance knew no bounds sometimes, and this was exactly that occasion when he let it shine through to it true, uninhibited heights. “You see I was brought up away from here, in a much more… suited part of Anaxas. I’m not some gaudy human, tasteless in their efforts.” No, he was a galdor. Well no, but he was. Leander didn’t say this to the woman, though. She wouldn’t understand. No one did.

They sat at a table, which was unusual for the passive - he normally didn’t eat, choosing instead to exist at the bar, downing drink after drink with acquaintances he barely tolerated. “Maybe you’re right…” Leander mused, more to himself than to his companion. He hadn’t experienced the world, having spent his adulthood tied to one spot. He wanted more, of course, but hadn’t found the drive to really experience the world. His life was rather static - filled with alcohol, gambling and the odd bit of work. “Where would you suggest I travel to first, then. If I were to decide that I’ve had my fill of Ol’ Rose? Where should I go?

The mention of ‘golly learning’ was a bit of a kick in the gut. Leander did have lots of golly learning, and he had even been lucky enough to be in a situation where he had either taught himself since being abandoned in the Harbour, or Resha had taken it upon himself to keep his education going. But he was not at the standards he should be if he could just do the shitting magic he was born to do. “Yeah, they are called passives,” he agreed, not throwing himself in with that lot. She could work it out for herself, but he would not supply the information on his own.

When she leaned forwards, Leander did the same, resting his elbows on the table and placing his chin on his downturned arms as light brown eyes met darker, his gaze just as intense as her own. “And why does it matter what I am?” Leo asked softly, a small smile playing at the edge of his lips. “You just said you don’t treat people of other castes ‘like shit’. I could be anything. Maybe I’ll leave that up to you to decide, if you can’t work it out.” The idea of Brunnhold still sent shivers up the passive’s spine. He was one of the lucky ones, to avoid such a place.

Her accent was a strong one, and he struggled to decipher everything she said, especially over all the noise of the tavern, as it was quite busy. But he thought he understood the general gist. A member of the wait staff came over and Leander ordered two ducks - as the lovely lady requested - and two ales to wash it down. And this was a nice place: the ale didn’t taste of pisswater, even if it cost twice the amount as it did in the pub down the way a bit. But he didn’t say this to his companion. She could make her own mind up about the quality of the food and drink. “Okay,” he said, when the waitress had left them, “You’re not a passive. And you’re not a golly. So you must be human or wick. Can’t say it matters much to me.” And it really didn’t. It was only gollies and passives he had something against. The two middling races he couldn’t give one wit about. They just were. “Okay, if you’re not going to lie… tell me about why passives aren’t treated like shit in Mugroba? They still have diableries, no? Are they not considered a risk? A danger? What do you do with them, just let them wander about the country doing as they will?
Aziza

Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:00 pm

Yaris 13, 2717
Leo was an odd one to be sure, unusual, but then again some rather interesting characters could show up in the Rose. People from all races found their way here, especially those who didn’t quite fit in their places of origin whether due to eccentricity, criminal leanings or other things less readily defined. Sometimes Anaxi do-gooders made efforts to flush undesirable elements from their society, and more often than not, they ended up gathering at Old Rose, the dirty dregs that stubbornly clung on instead of washing down the drain like they were supposed to do. Her companion didn’t seem like the sort to have been forced out of his home, but considering his arrogance and lack of field or glamour, it was possible that he was a human who had dared to rise above his station—or perhaps only to dream of it. His comment about not being a gaudy human… well, he wasn’t necessarily denying being human, just being one with no taste.

Part of her was tempted to ask what he was doing with the likes of her if he was so high and mighty, but she wasn’t sure that he’d take it in good humour, and while the cannabis had eroded her inhibitions, there was still something within her that suggested that it wasn’t a good idea to make such a joke, not with this one. Aziza wasn’t uncomfortable with him by any means, but the young man did seem to have something under the surface, something potentially dark.

”Where should ye go?” she asked, seizing on the seemingly safer topic, head tilting to the side as her gaze grew thoughtfully distant. ”In Anaxas or… Depends what int’rests ye, I s’pose.”

The young witch grew preoccupied with a twisting curl that had managed to wiggle its way out of her braids, trying to tuck it in firmly so that she wouldn’t have to unravel the rest of her hair to properly secure it, finding that more wisps had escaped at the nape of her neck; they clung damply to her neck. Her heart wasn’t truly in answering his question, the youth growing wistful as she talked of what she missed from her homeland instead. Really, if she had to recommend a place to visit, she’d probably tell him to go there and give the rest of Anaxas a miss. However, this was her home now—for better or worse—and she probably shouldn’t get too hung up on what was no longer in reach. Perhaps when Nazia died- but that was a terrible avenue to consider, one born of selfishness; her stay here was a permanent one for the foreseeable future.

”It dint matter what y’are, ‘cept fer me curiosity, ye chen? Ye’ve no field ‘less it’s damped and if ye weren’t human… it’d jus’ be summat diff’rent, ye chen? Dint matter at all,” she explained with an airy wave of her hand and a half-shrug, noncommittal.

Her fingers pinched her bottom lip, tugging thoughtfully at the fullness of flesh.

“I ent met any Anaxi imbali—far as I know—and I s’pose it’s harder here anyway. Ye’ve a lot of liars here—soulless.”

The last word was Mugrobi, her accent shifting although it didn’t sound entirely inharmonious next to the Tek that had preceded it, her lip curling ever so slightly as she articulated it, briefly noticeable as her fingers released it. Leo wouldn’t necessarily notice the change, as it would still be meaningless sounds to him, but he might well pick up on that sign of distaste that accompanied it.

Aziza had been taught all about the dishonour of lies, but being in this land was beginning to corrupt her, she was relatively sure. There were times when the idea of lying seemed almost justifiable, fibs coming more readily than they should have, especially when it came to interactions with her mother. It couldn’t be entirely bad to lie when the overall intentions were good, such as sparing Nazia emotional pain, but it still didn’t sit entirely right with her, even if she did spend time courting hypocrisy these days.

The arrival of ale was met with an appreciative sigh, the witch taking a sizeable draught of her beverage, gulping it eagerly as she discovered the depths of her thirst. When she set it down with a satisfied smack of her wet lips, it was little more than a quarter full. If Leo had been hoping for a lady tonight, he certainly wasn’t in the company of one at the moment! As if to further highlight her lack of refinement, she responded to his ponderings on her race with snorts of laughter

Covering her mouth to try to regain some composure, she huffed in a breath and managed to articulate enough Monite to make the air stir lazily around them. The edge of her glamour grew stronger and more defined as eddies of mona swelled it, the tide breaking softly against Leo where her aura overlapped his personal space.

”Were ye having a jape?” she teased, reaching out to pat his cheek in a good-natured fashion. “Oes, sure, I’m human.”

She huffed a laugh, wiggling her fingers in his direction as she uncrossed her legs in order to sit forward more easily, limbs bumping innocently against his own as she made herself more comfortable.

“I like ye, Leo, ye’re a funny one,” Aziza confided, propping her head up with her hand as she regarded him from beneath heavy lids. Perhaps it was the drug or the muggy atmosphere, perhaps even both, but the young woman was feeling pleasantly sleepy. Without her elbow planted firmly on the table to support her head, she felt as if it might flop down to the hard surface. A nap seemed strangely appealing right now, but she didn’t think she should fall asleep just now. There’d be food here soon and Leo was talking to her animatedly; it’d be a shame to clock out.

“Ne, I won’t lie,” she corrected him lazily. “Imbali can lie—they all tell lies—an’ I s’pose I envy them a little fer tha’. They do what they want—mostly. They get golly schoolin’, they work—a lot of ‘em are traders—some of ‘em wander, some of ‘em stay with their families, they just are.”

She tried to shrug, but only succeeded in dislodging herself from her perch and coming close to smacking head first into the table, instantly more alert as she was forced to catch herself. Unconsciously, the Mugrobi youth found that she’d reached for his hands as if to steady herself by grasping something more sturdy, but she withdrew them slowly now, smiling sheepishly as she did so.

“Why all the questions ‘bout imbali? Ye one of ‘em rights people who want golly and passives equal here?”

Her furrowed brow attested to the fact that she couldn’t guess at his motivation, the witch not considering the prospect of a more personal interest in spite of her probing into his nature. She returned to her ale, tipping it back in an effort to empty its contents quickly and sending some dribbling away from her mouth in her eagerness. It went down her chin, rapidly traversed the curve of her neck and slid between her breasts. The liquid wasn’t exactly cold but compared to the fire of her skin, it was like a sliver of ice had been dropped into her cleavage.

“Oh!”

The sound was a mix of surprise, relief and pleasure.

“I’ll be all sticky now,” she commented, dipping a hand down her front to see just how far the ale had managed to spread before plucking idly at the material to provide better air circulation with a shrug and a sigh.

If her mother had been there, she probably would have wept at her lack of modesty and self-awareness.
Leander

Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:47 am

The night was closing in around them. Leo’s favourite time to be. Maybe if he wasn’t so accustomed to spending his nights drinking, he might be described as a morning person, but he enjoyed the life of a night owl too much to even attempt getting up before the tenth bell. “I’ve not seen much of Anaxas, I’ll admit. But what I have seen… I didn’t much like the look of if I’m honest. Maybe a more exotic place to visit than this godforsaken country. I don’t know. I’ll probably die in this shithole. If not tonight, then there’s every day that follows and I’ll count myself one of the lucky ones to have escaped.” He didn’t really mean it - Leander was terrified of his own mortality.

But it was nice - surprisingly - to hear of the girl’s home. Nice, most of all, to hear someone talking about a place that they loved and missed. Leo nodded and hummed at all the right points, actually surprising himself that he was paying attention to her words and not just the way her full lips moved and imagining those lips being occupied in some other activity.

Curiosity, eh?” the lack of field was a big giveaway, one that Leander hated. Those magical sots just needed to be near him to know what he was and what he wasn’t. “Well I’m a little scrap, if you must know.” Leander intoned the key word with as much venom as he did whenever he used the insulting slang word. “A passive. I am… without.” Now would be the moment of truth, whether she really did not judge based on what race one was a part of.

With the ale on the table, Leander turned his attention to taking a few deep swigs of the drink, though his pale blue eyes never left the woman sitting across from him, he barely even blinked, such that he would not miss even the most subtle of reactions to his announcing what he was.

It bothered him more than he cared to admit, what he was. Even growing up by Anaxi standards, where it is drilled into young galdori that scraps were dangerous and needed to be controlled, he harboured a deep sort of distaste for both his old kinsmen and new. He hated the galdori for shunning him, and he hated passives for being… well passive to their own fate.

Instead of any noticeable reaction, he watched as Aziza practically downed her drink in one. Now, this was his kind of woman! “I suppose you’re right, a foolish wondering - I blame the alcohol. Yes, let’s blame inebriation.” The passive smiled, a genuine, wide smile. Now he was on home turf (any drinking establishment in Old Rose was as such), he was growing more relaxed and found himself enjoying the woman’s company. Her body jerked violently, as if she was falling asleep, and her hands reached for his. He made them available to her on instinct but it turned out to be unnecessary. “Are you well?” he asked with some concern.

Food trays arriving, with steaming duck with sides of vegetables, Leander nodded to the waitress, dismissing her with a word of thanks and inhaled deeply. Duck was certainly his favourite meat. “No,” Leander replied as he picked up his cutlery and began shifting food about his plate, preparing to cut the duck meat off the bone. “I wouldn’t go as far as to say that. A single passive in Ol’ Rose Harbour isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference. And the minute I start shouting too loud, I will be carted off to Brunnhold, there to live a life of pathetic drudgery. At least here… well I wouldn’t call it freedom as such,” - life around Silas Hawke could never be described in such a fashion - “I am one of the lucky ones. At least that much I can admit. I guess I just haven’t spent that much time around… foreigners. It is nice to hear of a new perspective.

Leander watched as Aziza finished her drink, her dark skin taking on a glittery hue as some of the ale escaped down her chin and neck, nestling into her bosom. He turned back to his duck as the woman’s fingers then followed the trail of liquid between her breasts, feeling strangely uncomfortable watching something so intimate. “If I’d have known that you were that thirsty, I would have brought you a larger drink. Let me order you a new one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Old Rose Harbor”

• Information