[Closed, Mature] Never Felt Like Any Blessing

CW - Sexual Themes

Open for Play
The Muluku Isles are an archipelago that contain the major trade ports of Mugroba and serves as the go-between for the spice trade. Laos Oma is the major port and Old Rose Harbor's sister city.

Aremu Ediwo
Topics: 24
Race: Passive
: A pirate full of corpses
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Early Evening, 28 Hamis, 2720
The Ibutatu House
Aremu’s eyes closed when Aurelie set to work on his head. Her hands were not especially gentle, and more than once a shock of pain rippled through him. His left hand clenched tight on the wet leg of his pants, and Aremu kept his breath steady and even. He didn’t jerk or cry out or grunt or clench his teeth; he just held, and he breathed, in and out, steadily.

It was only pain, Aremu thought, not injury. He felt her hands brushing over his head, against the soft hair, and against the skin of his back, where the rocks had torn him open. Pain couldn’t harm him unless he let it; pain he could put aside. He knew it well enough, what it was to hurt; this was not so bad, compared to some.

He was tired; he was terribly tired. He didn’t – couldn’t – sleep, sitting upright like this with Aurelie beside him, cleaning the sand from his head and back with a damp cloth. The pain helped, in that way; it pricked him away, like biting the inside of one’s cheek or pinching one’s forearm, sent a shock through him that kept him going.

“Yes,” Aremu rasped, when Aurelie said he should take a bath. He let go of his pants, slowly, his hand damp; he rubbed the back of his wrist against his face, aching with tiredness. A bath, Aremu thought, and then – he’d get upstairs, one way or another. He’d crawl; he wondered if Aurelie would watch, hovering over him, and the rush of shame he felt choked in his throat, and burned in his chest.

It’s not, he wanted to say, how I thought you’d see me – he hadn’t had the presence of mind to put his right wrist away. He knew he was scarred; he knew, too, that there were plenty who found him attractive, without a shirt, the lean muscle of his stomach and arms not, he thought, unpleasant to look at. He felt an odd sort of longing that Aurelie should – but she had been nothing but competent, and he was grateful for that and yet at the same time sorry, too. It’s not how I wanted –

Aremu wondered, dizzily, as Aurelie left him with water pouring into the tub, if he should have insisted on doing it himself. She had been so sure, and he was tired; he was so tired. I didn’t want you to see my like this, he’d wanted to say again, watching her go.

“Fuck,” Aremu sighed, half under his breath. He was tired and aching, all over; he undid his pants, peeling the damp fabric from his skin, and climbed into the hot bath. He brought his knees up, and pressed his face to them, shaking, both arms wrapped around his legs. It wasn’t quite crying, but he didn’t think it was far from it other, an odd mix of guilt, shame, and helplessness nearly more than he could bear.

The water, Aremu realized, was not helping; he felt dizzy and light-headed, and he didn’t much trust himself to stay upright. What a fucking joke, he thought, to have made it into the cave in the storm and swum back, and then drown in the bath. He was rougher with himself than Aurelie had been, scrubbing the sand from his skin, from his arms and legs, until everything ached and the last of the sand was gone from between his toes.

The room spun when he rose, and he was quietly sick again, gasping, losing whatever he’d drank of the water Aurelie had brought up. He clutched the bowl of the toilet with his hand, tears stinging at his eye, his throat rubbed raw, and then flushed the last of it away, grateful for the noise of the bath draining behind him. He rinsed his mouth out, several times, spitting the taste of it into the sink.

Aremu wrapped a towel around his waist, and began to run a bath for Aurelie. He rubbed his face with his hand, and ran his fingers gingerly through his hair.

When he came outside, towel-clad, only wobbling a little, she was waiting with clothing in the hallway. Aremu looked at her, half-trying to smile; he failed, glancing away. “Thanks,” he said, quietly. “I thought you might – um, like a bath as well. I – I think I can manage the bandaging, I don’t…” he breathed in, slowly, and out again, glancing back down the hallway at the stairs.

“I’m sorry for this,” Aremu said, finally. He rubbed his face with his hand, swaying a little on his feet, frowning down at her once more. He felt himself again, and there seemed to be no hiding from the shame of it.

Tags:
Aurelie Steerpike
Topics: 25
: Deeply Awkward Mom Friend
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Hamis 28, 2720 - Early Evening | The Ibutatu House
In bathing, at least, she could give him some privacy. For a moment, Aurelie hovered outside the door. She didn't feel quite right about going too far. He seemed steady enough, relatively, that she didn't think—well, no. If she had listened to only the part of her mind that was concerned about the state of the injury, and what had to be quite a bit of exhaustion, she would have stayed in the room. Aurelie had not done so. No matter how much she worried, she couldn't quite bring herself to go that far. Even for her, that was shameless. She had looked plenty earlier, when she should have kept her mind on what she was doing. That was enough guilt for now, she thought. No need to add anything else.

Eventually, she realized, he would need a change of clothes. Aurelie chewed her lip. She felt sort of funny, going into his room by herself. The purpose was completely practical—she very much doubted it was in any way worth it to crawl up the stairs undressed—but it still felt... odd. There was nothing for it. Aurelie took a deep breath, and shook herself. She would just be careful not to linger. She had cleaned plenty of bedrooms at the school, she thought grimly; it only made some slight difference that she cared about the person who slept in this one. She set off up the stairs.

When Aurelie came back down, holding the first set of clothing she found to hand with very little regard to what it was or looked like, she was smiling to herself. The spectragram she'd found in the attic had been sitting there on top of the dresser, just where it should have been. The frame had been cleaned up a bit, and now it looked... Nice, Aurelie thought. It was good to see it with proper pride of place. A nice memory.

She waited outside for his bath to finish, leaning her head back against the wall. She was fairly filthy herself, but that didn't seem so important at the moment. Her skin itched; it could wait. All of her discomfort could wait. Without quite noticing, Aurelie took on the posture that had grown habitual at Brunnhold. A sort of stiff-backed, unassuming waiting, inviting the eye to skim over her as much as possible.

She tried not to think about the other side of the door; a hand still came up to her mouth, once or twice. It seemed distinctly unreal. If he hadn't taken her hand in the bathroom in the middle of all this, she wouldn't have believed it was. At least while she waited, no harm would come from her thinking about it. She stopped when she heard the water draining, or tried.

Aurelie hadn't quite. She had, rather, expected to sort of—hand him things through the door. How they had gone so quickly from not wanting to make her uncomfortable by taking off his shirt to standing in front of her with only a towel on in the hallway, she didn't know. It was a small miracle she kept her mouth shut, and didn't squeak or gasp or anything else equally tempting; she thought she might have perished on the spot if she hadn't. There was never anything to do about the blushing, unfortunately. She had given up on that one.

"O-oh. You're. Uhm. Welcome. Er. A-and thank you. I—" Aurelie held his clothes out for him to take. She peered up at him and frowned. She saw him glance down the hallway and towards the stairs; he meant, she realized, to go up them. That was patently absurd. He was swaying on his feet, and seemed so thoroughly tired she had the strongest suspicion he would just sleep as he was, if she let him.

What she wanted to do was take his hand, but it was sort of hard to wrap her mind around to doing so when he was standing there like that. With the whole. Bells and chimes. She really was terrible.

The frown softened when he apologized. "You don't have to be sorry. I'm glad to be here to help, even if I'm not terribly useful. I, well." The green of her eyes dropped to somewhere in the region of her toes, and she turned just a bit pinker. "You wouldn't need it but for me, of course, and I. Er. Well even if that weren't true, I'd want to... Hmm. I'm not, ah, saying this very well." She sighed.

"B-but, uhm, I also think... You don't have to, er, go upstairs. In fact, I would really rather you didn't. There is, ah. My... well. Hmm. The room I'm... I-it's not really mine, ah." Oh bells and chimes! She was saying this all wrong. Aurelie lifted her eyes from the floor, and fixed them instead on Aremu's face, frowning down at her. She tried to smile, but the sheer forwardness of what she was trying to say overwhelmed her. "I would rather you stayed in m-my room, rather than trying to... to go upstairs. Er. I can be somewhere else, that's not... Although I do think I'd feel better if I were nearby and... Oh. Uhm. Please."

She had, rather, trailed off into mumbling towards the end. But, she thought hopefully, the gist of it should have been clear. Probably. She swallowed. What an idiot.
Aremu Ediwo

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:42 pm

Early Evening, 28 Hamis, 2720
The Ibutatu House
Her face had lit up in a blush when she saw him. Aremu didn’t understand; minutes ago she’d been touching his bare back, and it didn’t seem to have bothered her. He felt tired; he couldn’t do anything about it now, reaching out to take the clothing from her and holding it in front of himself, draping it over his right wrist.

Aurelie was staring down at her bare, sandy toes now, her face tight. She had been frowning, and he didn’t know why, precisely. Aremu rubbed his face a little; he shook his head, and grimaced in pain when she said it was because of her; she went on through it, and while he knew they would have to talk it over, at some point, Aremu didn’t think he had the strength to insist on it being his fault.

The room, Aurelie said, and then – it’s not really mine. Aremu’s face tightened in a grimace; he looked away, and then back, still frowning. She was staring up at him, trying to smile.

It was a moment before he understood. Aremu shifted, looking at her, her bright red face staring earnestly up at him as she – asked him to sleep in her room? Without her, Aurelie had said, and then clarified that she could be nearby, if he wanted. Aremu rubbed at his face with his wet hand, slowly combing his fingers through his hair, and frowning a little.

He felt as if he should refuse – as if he should offer to sleep on the floor, or insist on going up to his room or downstairs to the couch. There are other rooms, he wanted to say, although he didn’t think he could get through the making of a bed without being sick, and it didn’t seem right to ask her to do it for him. He swallowed.

The worst part was he wanted it; he wanted it so badly. He liked the idea of sleeping with her beside him, even with both of them fully closed, with nothing more than a chaste kiss; after the brief flicker of a dream he’d had on the couch downstairs, he had little illusion about the sort of night he was in for. You don’t owe me this, he wanted to say; you don’t owe me anything.

His head hurt, Aremu thought, so much. He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, and opened them again, looking down at her. There were a thousand things he should have said; there were a thousand things he should have done. No, he thought to say; no, thank you; no, I don't need to; no, it's all right; no, I'd better not.

“All right,” Aremu said, quietly. “Thank you,” He was standing there, his clothing draped over his wrist still, looking down at her. Aremu swallowed.

“I’d like it if you – stayed,” Aremu went on, carefully. “I wouldn’t…” his hand came up and cupped her cheek. “I’ll never do anything you don’t want me to,” he promised. He didn’t know if he could make such a promise in all the ways which he wished to; he didn’t know if he could keep it, not fully, not in every way there was of doing. His throat was aching, anyway, and tears prickled in his eyes; he would have reached up to wipe them away, but he couldn’t quite bring himself to take his hand from her face, his thumb stroking carefully over her cheek.

Aremu leaned forward, and kissed her forehead, very carefully, taking a deep, shuddering breath. He was tired; he was so tired, and he couldn’t rest, not yet.

Aurelie Steerpike

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:36 am

Hamis 28, 2720 - Early Evening | The Ibutatu House
Aurelie really felt like an idiot, stuttering through her tangled words to get to that particularly foolish suggestion. Aremu was frowning, looking down at her. She knew what it sounded like. She wasn't even sure she wasn't thinking that way, at least a little. Mostly she really was just... worried. Really, she was. Oh, chimes. She was rather torn between wishing he were dressed, so she could keep her mind on track, and really not minding at all that he wasn't.

She felt especially so when he shut his eyes, like the idea had made his headache worse. Perhaps she had. It did sound stupid when she said it. She wanted to take it back, but she didn't. Aurelie didn't look away, and she didn't take it back. She just looked up with that funny little smile on her face. Waiting. Aremu opened his eyes again, eventually.

Aurelie hadn't been prepared, she realized, for him to agree with her. The funniest feeling went through her, a rather confusing mix of relief and nervousness. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Aremu swallowed, and so did she.

Ah. No, she hadn't been prepared at all. His hand came to her cheek, which she thought by then was surely warm enough to be uncomfortable to the touch. He wanted her to stay. And he looked so terribly miserable asking her, promising not to do anything she didn't want. It was all both concerning and wildly confusing. She tilted her face towards his palm, and she had no idea what kind of face she was making. Not a smile she didn't think, but not a frown either.

"That's—oh." She'd started to say something, and she lost the words from her tongue when he leaned forward. They had been kissing for so long before (and she had been, she remembered with a giddy kind of disbelief, in his lap). And that still made her heart stutter to a stop. Aurelie put her hand up and over the back of his, biting her lip.

"I'll stay," she promised. "I, uhm. Want to. After I'm less, uhm. Sandy." She wrinkled her nose, making a face. The day had been terribly long for the both of them, although not at all completely without good parts. Aurelie was tired too, and she was worried, and she knew her suggestion had been strange. The whole day had been strange though, hadn't it? And this seemed like the better sort of strange at least than sudden storms and head injuries. At least she hoped it was better.

"I'll help you with, er, your shoulder after. But, uhm." Oh, this all really was rather a lot. She couldn't seem to decide if she was being too brazen, or not quite brazen enough. Aurelie broke off looking at Aremu's face then; her willpower failed her at last. She looked down, not to her feet but somewhere to the middle. Then she looked back up. "B-but if you're not, uhm. If you're not wearing, ah, pants, I. Well, I don't think I'll be able to. Concentrate. On being of any use."

Gracious Lady, how was that for too brazen? She seemed to keep crossing these lines, after which she could control herself not at all. It really was very absurd, but she wasn't sure she cared. Or even that she should.
Aremu Ediwo

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:51 am

Evening, 28 Hamis, 2720
The Ibutatu House
Aurelie looked so serious and determined, telling him that she wouldn’t be able to focus if he didn’t put his pants on. Aremu jerked a little, his thumb pausing in its careful stroking of her cheek; her hand was still closed over his, even as she shifted, and looked down and then up again.

Aremu blinked down at her, and then slowly he laughed; it surprised him as much as he thought it surprised her. “Understood,” he said, softly, smiling. His head still ached, all of him did, and he was as tired as he could remember being. All the same, he felt lighter in a way he couldn’t quite define. He grinned at Aurelie, almost shivering; his shoulders relaxed, untensing, as if some weight had been lifted from them.

Aurelie went in to the bathroom, the bathtub still filling behind them; Aremu took the clothing she had brought, and went into her room. Not her room, she had said, and that still ached.

It was well dark now; the last traces of sunset were going. Aremu rubbed himself dry with the towel, and pulled on the pants Aurelie had brought, a thankfully comfortable linen. He set the shirt to the side, and the towel too.

Aremu went to the window, and leaned against the frame, sagging into the wood. Standing there, he could see the storm swept grasses below, the distant airship platform, and the edge of the cliff; beyond it, the ocean was invisible in the night, and only the brightest stars gleamed in the sky.

Aremu looked out at them, and let them shine back through him, and he couldn’t bring himself to let it hurt. His head ached, and he didn’t need to touch it to know how tender and raw the cut was; his shoulder wasn’t so bad, at least, all superficial damage and nothing deeper, or so he thought.

He didn’t try to keep track of time; he just leaned heavily against the window frame, and watched the stars across the sky. When the door opened, Aremu turned back to it, the solemn look on his face lightening with a hint of a smile at the sight of Aurelie, damp and pink and clean from the bath.

Aremu came a little closer, slowly. He was exhausted; he hurt all over, the sharp pains in his head and shoulder paired with the general dull ache thrumming all through him. He swallowed, looking at Aurelie, something soft written across his face.

The bandages, Aremu reminded himself. He was tired; he was so tired. All the same, when he reached out and took Aurelie’s hand, he found he couldn’t quite help himself. “Is it after now?” Aremu asked, softly, gazing down at her, his fingers slowly threading though hers.

Aurelie Steerpike

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Hamis 28, 2720 - Evening | The Ibutatu House
Oh, Blessed Lady, he'd laughed. Thank the Circle he had when she mumbled that absolutely absurd thing about pants and distractions. She hadn't been entirely joking, but she'd wanted him to laugh at it she thought. Or at least smile—Aurelie didn't know if she could expect a laugh enough to try to get one on purpose. Anything, honestly, that wasn't that misery-washed solemnity. Aurelie smiled too. It was easier then to slip into the bathroom.

It was warm and humid inside the bathroom, the water still running. She turned it off when the tub filled. Carefully she undressed, grimacing at the sand that fell from her clothes to the floor. She sank under the water with a happy little sigh. And just as carefully, she tried not to think too hard about what she was doing.

Aurelie allowed herself a few minutes of just sitting there, scrunched up so the water came to her chin and her salt-stiffened hair floated on top. Her knees were above the surface of the water too, pink immediately from the heat. The muscles in her back and her shoulders started to let go of the hold they'd kept on her this whole time, sinking into something like relaxation. It made her more aware, somehow, of just how tired she was.

Not that this was any excuse, Aurelie thought mournfully. She wasn't so exhausted as to not know what she was saying. Or that she shouldn't say it. Sweet Lady, what was that? What was this entire day? Wet hands came up and pressed over her cheeks and eyes, and she slipped a little further into the bath with an embarassed groan. Too late to worry about that now, she supposed; she'd already gone ahead.

That, she told herself firmly, was quite enough of that. She sat up again, and went about the business of scrubbing all the salt and sand from her skin and hair. There was quite a lot of it sinking to the bottom of the bath. For once, she managed not to think too much about cleaning up the house right away. There were more pressing matters, after all. She found herself grateful for her foresight to have a clean set of sleeping clothes folded neatly in the bathroom already. As it was, she'd quite forgotten to go to her room and get another set.

Aremu was leaning against the window frame when she entered the room some time later. Not too long, she hoped. She hovered in the doorway until he turned. Aurelie was gripped by the oddest feeling, looking at him standing there in a room she had been considering her own for the last week. Partway between thrilled and soft; she knew better than to try to place it. Still, her heart skipped at the smile that drew an answer from her.

What was it on his face, when he got a little closer? Aurelie didn't know, and she was afraid to think too much on it. Better to just deal with what was in front of her. Wasn't it? The question made her laugh, pink face turning pinker still underneath the star-scatter of her freckles.

"It could be," she said against her better judgement. It shouldn't be; there was bandaging to do. That was important, and she was worried. But his fingers were warm, laced between hers, and she squeezed them lightly. Her willpower was only so strong, and rapidly dwindling.
Aremu Ediwo

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Evening, 28 Hamis, 2720
The Ibutatu House
The breeze through the open window whisked over the cloth of Aurelie’s nightgown, rustling it against her. Aremu knew – he knew – that he had seen her far more exposed, particularly their first day of swimming, when the near-translucent fabric of her clothing had revealed a great deal more than it should have.

Aremu had smiled, and she had smiled back; it was absurd, he thought. She was wearing a nightgown which covered her from her neck to her ankles, and yet she looked so utterly Aurelie, smiling up at him with her hair damp from the bath, short and mussed and soft. She laughed when he asked his question, her fingers squeezing back against his.

He’d kissed her earlier, Aremu knew; he remembered it, although the whole of their time in the cave had taken on an odd sense of unreality, as if in the dim softly lit space with the storm crashing outside, it might have all been a dream. The kiss they’d shared after he’d woken up had felt more real, and yet in this moment, still far away.

He hadn’t meant to ask – he shouldn’t have asked, perhaps. Perhaps he wouldn’t have if not for the strange intensity of seeing her dressed so, the soft curve of her just barely outlined when the wind shifted the nightgown. His head ached, and he set it aside; it was only pain, after all, and he knew something of managing pain.

Aremu leaned down, slowly, not quite timidly but as slowly as he had gone in the cave; he remembered that, at least, that he’d taken his time with it, closing the distance between them with his heart pounding, expecting at any moment that she would pull away, would shake her head or turn aside or flinch from him. He still expected it, or half of him did, even with her fingers threaded through his, and the little smile on his face, and the look he could recognize, now, in her eyes, that he could understand and know what to do with.

Aremu’s lips brushed Aurelie’s, gentle and soft, a breath of a kiss. He pulled back, smiling at her; his hand squeezed hers lightly, and eased away. He sat back on the bed, half because his head was aching. His lips felt as if they were tingling.

“Would you kiss me again?” Aremu asked, softly, looking up at Aurelie. “Please.” He smiled, a crooked little smile that turned up one edge of his mouth, looking across the softly moonlit room.

He wasn’t quite ready to put it into words between them – not here, not now, not tonight – but it felt as if the tiredness had cut through the haze of guilt and shame and uncertainty, the tiredness and the sight of her smiling in that nightgown. If they were to do this, Aremu thought, remarkably clear, he couldn’t – he wouldn’t – push and push and push, finding the edges of her boundaries and encroaching on them bit by bit until she forgot to be uncomfortable. He couldn’t – he wouldn’t – try to overwhelm her with desire, and mistake it for comfort, or worse, for permission.

Nothing you don’t want me to do, he had promised. He didn’t know – he couldn’t begin to imagine – what she knew of this, what she wanted or thought might happen between them. The first step, he thought, was somewhere in there. He was too tired to overcomplicate it beyond that; he was too tired to want much more than another of her kisses, and perhaps the soft brush of her hair between his fingers. That, though, Aremu thought, he did want, and rather badly; he hoped she did too.

Aurelie Steerpike

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:52 pm

There was a certain symmetry to this moment when compared to before, during the storm. What must have been hours ago now, although she couldn't decide if it felt like they had just left or that it had been a hundred years ago already. Their fingers were tangled together, the light was low, and as Aremu moved towards her slowly, Aurelie thought her heart might choke her to death it was pounding so hard.

All of it had this faint edge of the unreal. Aurelie was having difficulty accepting that Aremu would want to kiss her so badly that this would be the first question when she walked through the bedroom door. Not that she minded, despite knowing she should to some degree, but it was baffling. Even as she thought so, her heels lifted very slightly off the floor, just to make the difference a little less.

That was barely anything at all, when Aremu did kiss her. Almost the suggestion of the thing more than the action itself. He pulled back, and Aurelie was selfishly, terribly disappointed. She buried it, ashamed of herself. But the room was so soft-lit, when Aremu sat down on the bed—her bed? the bed? a bed?—and he was still smiling at her.

"Ah," Aurelie said with a smile spreading across her face, flustered and pleased. This seemed more unreal even than the storm had. Aurelie was half tempted to pinch herself, just to make sure she was awake. Or ask him if he was really sure. He was not, after all, quite so trapped as... As Aurelie was used to. She couldn't bear to do it. There was no good answer to the question, after all. Either he would say yes, he was, and she would feel terrible for asking, or he would say no, and she would still feel terrible.

"That, uhm. I think I can manage. Ah. That is—" Oh, she was doing it again. Aurelie bit her lip and smiled a little wider, turning steadily more red. The problem with being so easily flustered, she thought, was that it made it very hard to tell when she was uncomfortable. At least she worried it was so. Aurelie had put a lot of thought into the matter at one time. She couldn't remember ever reaching much of a solution.

Actions, she thought, were better. She certainly hoped so, because she was truly rotten with words. Aurelie moved over, standing on her feet in front of Aremu's knees. Sitting, she thought, was inconvenient—she was a good deal shorter, and she just thought he ought not to tilt his head around so much still. She stood there a moment, taking a heartbeat or two to steady her nerve. Which was, she reflected, vaguely ridiculous. He wasn't the first man she had ever kissed. Remembering that he was, in fact, the second did not help in any way.

Thinking in general wasn't helping. Aurelie leaned forward instead, putting a hand again to the side of his face to steady herself. When she kissed him, she was less reserved than she might have been before. Than she should have been. She was, after all, very tired. Far too tired to stand in her own way.
Aremu Ediwo

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:11 pm

Evening, 28 Hamis, 2720
The Ibutatu House
Aurelie’s face was glowing red in the light, and she was smiling through it. There was something more there, Aremu thought; he knew something of smiles which hid, which cracked at the edges, which felt as if they papered over an ache beneath, like a bandage of a wound. She reddened more, biting her lip with small teeth, looking at him.

For a long time she simply stood there; he wasn’t sure she’d come, in the end. She would have to come over to the bed eventually, Aremu thought, if she meant to sleep there. He wasn’t sure she had meant to; he had an awful vision of her curled in a ball on the floor, and wasn’t sure what to do with it.

She came; she came slowly, standing at his knees and looking at him, her face red enough to put her hair to shame. Aremu felt a little pang in his chest; if it’s that hard, he wanted to say – you don’t have to, Aurelie, you don’t have to –

Her hand came up slowly, cupping his cheek. It was her turn to lean in, and slowly; Aremu grinned a little, unable to help it.

She kissed him, harder and deeper than before; it wrenched a noise deep from his throat. He was breathing harder when they came apart, just a little, looking up at her as she leaned over him. “Aurelie,” Aremu gasped, swallowing. He slid his fingers into her hair, shifting a little closer to her; she was bumping against his knees, but he wasn’t sure what to do about it. He remembered asking her to sit in his lap earlier, and he wanted badly to do so again, but he didn’t quite dare, not with her in her nightgown.

Aremu kissed her back this time, offering back all that she had shown him; his fingers tangled in her hair, soft and damp this time, smooth, like he’d thought it might be. He hadn’t minded it mussed and salt-stiff either, tangled from saltwater swimming and crawling about the rocks; he couldn’t imagine any way he would mind it.

Please, Aremu wanted to say, please; he wasn’t sure what he was asking for. They came apart, and together again, and Aremu smiled at her, his breath slowly settling back down, his thumb stroking over her cheek. You’re beautiful, he wanted to say again; he had a half-formed memory of trying to convince her in the cave, and he was both glad and sorry that he didn’t remember too precisely what he had said.

Sit with me, he wanted to say; next to me, on my lap, whatever you like – they kissed again instead. The fingers of his left hand buried themselves in her hair again, his thumb tracing lines over her skin; he kissed her again, deeper, and held himself back. Come to me, he wanted to say; don’t be afraid. He could feel the heat of her blush against his skin, the light brush of a damp lock of hair against his cheek.

He said none of it; he put no pressure on her, for all that he knew he wanted her, and she would know it too. For all the depth, there was still no urgency to him, nothing like pressure; there was only the slow soft trading and sharing of kisses, Aremu’s lips tracing occasionally over the edge of hers before meeting them squarely once more. It was enough; it was more than enough, and he was full of gratitude, tempering the ache of longing, all of it with a lull of tiredness wrapped beneath, all of it his, and hers, now, too.

Aurelie Steerpike

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 am

That was a noise she liked, Aurelie decided. It sank into her ears right to her blood; her breath came a little heavier now than it had before. She liked, also, the way he said her name, the way his accent shaped the vowels of it into something not quite the same as the way she'd heard it all her life. Gasped it out, like... She didn't know what like, but she appreciated whatever it was.

Somewhere in between parting and meeting again, Aurelie realized that her plan to stay awkwardly in front of Aremu's knees wasn't going to work indefinitely. Or somewhere in between one kiss and the next among many; she wasn't sure how long she was standing there. Her hands kept trying to settle somewhere, and she wasn't quite sure where that should be either. Eventually she settled for sitting on the bed next to him, one leg folded underneath of her and the other barely brushing the floor. The solution for her hands was, simply, to place one against his face once more and the other somewhere on his bare shoulder.

She leaned forward, hovering just a little further than she wanted to be. The hand on his shoulder was an anchor, to keep her from going any further than that. The warmth of his skin under her hand and his body close to hers made her terribly greedy; she was a little surprised by it. But then, she also wasn't surprised at all. Aremu was, she thought, by any standard deeply, wildly attractive. It wasn't actually fair. She was trying to keep some grip on herself, and it just didn't seem to work.

And here she was, in her nightgown, ostensibly here to help with bandages and insisting he stay down here with her because she was worried for his health. Those things were true. They really were. Aurelie was just ill used to dealing with this particular kind of distraction, and she'd lost track of herself a bit. Left it somewhere in the tangle of his fingers through her hair, and the breath traded back and forth.

Aurelie found herself leaning in a good deal more than she meant to, twisting around to be closer. Her hand moved from his shoulder to resting against his chest; he made another noise when she did it, and Aurelie grinned against his mouth. She could do this forever, really. The breeze that came in from the open window carried the scent of cool night air and the storm that had passed; most of her world had narrowed to just this small part.

Eventually, though, her common sense did managed to press upon the back of her mind. "Wait," she sighed, easing back. She didn't like the way her mind worked just now. "I, uhm. I'm going to forget about bandages. And I really... don't think we should." She laughed, her face flushed with more than shyness.

Getting up was difficult. So was trying to assist with something she had no experience in at all. Especially when her hands didn't seem to want to stay on task. They wandered, just a little. Still. She thought they managed in the end, between the two of them. It was, at least, covered. Aurelie felt both better and worse once it was done. Mostly, she just felt tired.

"Uhm," she began, coming to sit down once more. Aurelie fidgeted with the blanket, not quite sure how to phrase what she wanted to say. Her fingers creeped out to find his hand, hoping to steady herself. He was, of course, still half undressed, sitting on her bed, and what she was about to suggest didn't aid any of how that made her heart pound.

"Sleep seems like a good idea," she tried, very carefully. I'm not used to sleeping alone, she thought, but I'm not used to having someone next to me either. But I would like to. She opened her mouth and closed it again. "I can, uhm. Sleep on the... the floor or... or something. If... you want. But, er. There is. Room. Uhm."

This, this was surely too much. It was too late though, she'd already said it. Aurelie tucked her hair behind her ear, half dried now, and lifted her face waiting for a response.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Muluku Isles”

• Information