A Favor for a Favor (Madeline)

Open for Play
Writing letters? Keeping journals? Attempting Clairvoyance? Use this forum to keep in touch with other characters near and far.

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed
Topics: 28
Race: Galdor
: The one-man Deep State
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Runcible Spoon
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Templates

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 am

Vienda, Smike's End - 177C Lesser Larch Street

The 33rd of Dentis, 17 minutes past the 29th Hour
L
ittle Bird.

The phase still ringing in his ears, still haunting the corridors of his mind. He knows what it means, at least on paper. He knows nothing else. How can he? A laugh, low, and long, and bitter. A laugh he means only for himself. There is no one else to hear it. Sneed has gone out for the night, off on some private errand of his own. Burglarious? It is likely. It is expected. It is the boy’s true profession, one he tolerates, one professional to another. It can hardly be otherwise. The boy is useful. The burglary is the price he must pay. Another small and private chaos. What does that matter now? Now that he knows what it is that he knows?

A monstrous thing, enough that he should tear his hair and wail to the heavens until long after he has gone hoarse. It is too much. Too much noise and tumult. Not at all in character. It is not the done thing. It is not sound. He will be sounds, must be sound. So, instead, he weeps in silence. His tears falling, drop by slow drop into his untouched glass of brandy. He weeps for Dorehaven, for the dead, for Levesque.

For his own broken soul. Are men such as he afforded a soul? Perhaps it is best his is broken. He can cast aside the pieces, sweep them all away, and carry on. Carry on to what?

The brandy, now slightly saline, swirls in the snifter, catching the light of the little oil lamp. It glows in warm and comforting browns. Tonight the brandy gives no comfort. Comfort is not the object. The ritual must be performed. It cannot be otherwise. Brandy and letters, his ancient pairing.. It tells him these matters are personal, that they belong to Basil Shrikeweed of Lesser Larch Street, not to Mr Shrikeweed of Stainthorpe Hall. The curtain between those two is growing thin, the masks melding into each other.

Little Bird.

The Incumbent, both ‘He’ and ‘I’ share this nameless sparrow. There is something there. She, and he is sure it is a she, holds some part of the secret, some piece of the pattern. It may prove to be nothing at all. It may prove to be everything. She will need to be questioned, a civilized chat over coffee or tea. He does not wish to be a threat. He is already a threat.

A sip of the brandy, the salt is negligible.

How to hunt down this Little Bird? He has neither name nor address, nothing but the fragmentary words of a panicked man and the mockery of a madame. He could go through Trevisani. Yes, and show all his cards, make himself, make the Incumbent, a target. He will need another way to trace her.

What do men give their paramours? Perfumes, clothes, secret apartments kept well hidden from wives, jewelry. Jewelry. He considers it. It is distinctive, more so than all but the most ostentatious of clothes. It can be purchased more easily in the absence of the recipient. It is worn in public. It is meant to be seen, to be commented upon. The Incumbent will have a jeweler. That will be a link in the chain. Yet he cannot just ask the Incumbent. It would be too obvious. Another route must be taken.

He smiles to himself. There might just be a way, a backchannel. He takes out a new piece of paper, sharpens his pen, and begins writing.

Miss Gosselin,

It is with moderate hope that I may be remembered to you. Our conversation on the 13th
of Hamis, concerning coats and charity, was most interesting, and though our views differ in no small degree, I found our conversation to be of interest. I therefore ask that you accept these, the usual pleasantries as to your health, the success of your academic career, etc etc. I am, as you may have come to understand, no great social correspondent, and my skill at pleasantries is rather lacking. Still, I do mean what I say when I address your person and your studies. You are, in my estimation, a young lady of some parts, and I can only hope that these will serve you well in your current station of life.

I am well aware that this is a most unusual letter for you to receive, but I nevertheless find myself in need of your services, as you once were in need of mine. Allow me to preface my request by stating that I have watched your charitable actions with some interest. I am strangely pleased to discover that they are proceeding apace and that your society is performing efficacious work. I am leery of charity myself, being sadly surrounded by venal ladies and gentlemen who seek to use such matters to bolster their standing rather than provide any real assistance. Still, it seems that you are free from such narrow ends.

It is therefore that I find myself trusting in your powers of discernment and in your generous nature.

In matters of taste and refinement I am no expert. Certainly I can select a cravat or pocket watch, but beyond such simple matters I am all to seek. Sadly, this is also the case with my esteemed father. It is under his aegis that I am acting. Filial piety and all that.

The 19th of Ophus is my mother’s sixty-fifth birthday and my father wishes to commission for that occasion a fine and elegant lornette and matching brooch. My mother is fond of such decorations but her tastes are rather singular. It is my hope that you, as a young lady of station and means, might be able to recommend several jewelers with whom I may consult regarding this commision.

You are, of course, free to decline to assist in such matters, or inform me that you are as befuddled in these matters as I. Still, I hope that the assistance I provided to you may be returned in kind. Happy reciprocity is the tissue that binds society together, after all.

Do think it over, and if you have any recommendations, I would be very much obliged to you. I would, in no small part, owe you a favor that might be redeemed at some date of your own choosing.

I remain, miss, your most humble obedient servant,

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed

He lays down his pen, reviews the letter. It is not his best work, but then his social correspondence has never been sprightly or engaging. Then again, neither is he. It will serve, it will do.

Madeleine Gosselin
Topics: 9
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Evening, 35 Dentis, 2719
Madeleine Gosselin's Dormitory Room, Brunnhold Campus
Madeleine began her letter to Mr. Shrikeweed a fourth time. Her other three drafts were spread out carefully over the desk, each one set aside, with circles of ink here and there, words crossed out and blotted away.

Dear Mr. Shrikeweed,

Of course I remember you! You were most helpful –

Dear Mr. Shrikeweed,

I was glad to receive your letter, as I remember with fondness our conversation –

Dear Mr. Shrikeweed,

Greetings and salutations. I was surprised to receive your most unusual request, but as I remember fondly our conversation -

Dear Mr. Shrikeweed,

I hope this letter finds you well and in good health. Our conversation on the 13th of Hamis was very illuminating, and I believe your advice has proved most beneficial to the Society to Clothe the Lower Races. Our Pilot Program was very well-received. I am glad you have had the occasion to hear of our good works. I therefore believe it is proper that I apply myself to answering this request which you have set forward, on behalf of the Society.

Although I have not had many occasions to purchase or receive jewelry, being myself only sixteen years of age, I did purchase a pair of earrings for my mother earlier this year and therefore feel I may make an adequate recommendation.

Madeleine had not been sure whether she should write that she was not sure her mother had not liked the earrings. She knew – she had checked! – that it was the same jeweler her father went to, and so – she had thought – she had saved up all her allowance for ages, simply ages, and had purchased the earrings.

Lovely, her mother had said, with a faint sort of smile, and she had set the earrings aside and gone back to her papers. Later, when she left the table, she had forgotten the box there. Madeleine had brought it up and put it carefully on her dressing table, because she was sure her mother hadn’t meant to leave it behind.

Madeleine wished she knew what she had done wrong. She had asked Angelique, of course, but Angelique had only laughed at her. She had thought very solemnly of telling Mr. Shrikeweed that she did not think she could help him, but it was so good of him to wish to assist his father in buying his mother a lorgnette and broach. Sixty-five seemed rather terribly old; it was hard to imagine someone as old as Mr. Shrikeweed having a mother. Naturally, one would need a lorgnette by that age, if not spectacles, but Madeleine did not think she should write that.

Madeleine took out Shrikeweed’s letter once more, looking through it. Your powers of discernment, he had written, and your generous nature. A tiny smile curled over Madeleine’s face, and she settled herself back to her letter, bright-eyed.

I should recommend to you Messrs Recharmonte and Deaulogne of Clover Street. Their establishment is very proper, and the salesman was quite friendly. Although I have not been there personally, you may also wish to recommend your father to Mr. Fitzpatrick’s establishment on Sixth Street. I have many times noticed they have a large display window with some excellent items and I believe they are popular with men of good taste.

Madeleine did not write that she had waited in the carriage, once, while her father had gone inside, only because she had asked if she could come in, and he had told her no, and the memory still stung.

I hope that you may find these recommendations serviceable. May the Lady bless and renew your mother in this season of her life.

Best regards,

Madeleine Gosselin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Correspondences”

• Information