Keep Your Distance

A letter from overseas.

Open for Play
Writing letters? Keeping journals? Attempting Clairvoyance? Use this forum to keep in touch with other characters near and far.

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:30 am

The Crocus’ Stem Cinnamon Hill, Thul Ka
Early Morning on the 24th of Bethas, 2720
T
he balcony was thick with greenery shivering in the morning breeze; it tugged at his shirtsleeves, whispered at his ankles and his bare feet. He looked back down at the letter in his lap, ashing his cigar and leaning heavily on the arm of the chair. He scratched his jaw; his lip twisted. He blinked, squinted through his glasses, until the words rearranged themselves.

He had dreamt of Mircalla, the night before. Not of either of the lasses. Of learned doctors, stiff-lipped Anaxi, with lives’ studies in the unrestful dead. Of long, wicked-sharp wooden stakes.

He knew he’d write before he left for Dkanat; that it would come spilling out of him this morning, with the paper on one knee and a dictionary spilling across the other, Mircalla open to the prologue on top, he hadn’t guessed. Something about the dreams. There’d been some knot in his stomach, some sense of urgency.

But he’d smiled writing it, though his hands were tired and the pen was hard to hold, though it was slow going. Now, just before the sun had spilled its heat proper over the rooftops, he looked down at the ink glistening and drying in the lamplight.

To the one and only Cerise Vauquelin, ensconced in the red brick towers of Brunnhold in the south of chilly Anaxas –

Upon a paper attached to the Narrative which follows, Incumbent Vauquelin has written a rather elaborate note, which he acompanies with a reference to his Essay on the strange subject which the missive illuminates… … … …

… …. .. (n so on)

The sun swelters. I shall be red and peeling. I sweat. I chrove about it.

Hows Anaxas?

My first days in Thul Ka have had me visiting Ire dzosat with a dear friend and scrambling round Cinamon Hill to beg tailors for anything that isn’t a three piece suit. All that security arranging with the hotel too. I’ll be gone across the desert tomorrow til the end of Bethas and I can’t tell you where until I see you in person. You know why. I hope you will come to see Thul Amat as it has some things I think will interest you.

I read the first few chapters of Mircalla on the air ship. I’m not the fastest reader of such like this but it was good reading for the cold air ship nights and I am damn sorry to leave it behind.

So she came to Elizabeth when she was a little child. She isn’t described cruel or ugly in the least. It’s all gentle and sad. “I don’t know which should be most afraid of the other.” I know how it ends but I don’t know how to feel. I know I can’t hope but I do. Elizabeth is lonely too.

Let me know how dueling is going + how you have felt about the books. Or what else you have been reading if not those.

He had paused before the end. Sincerely didn’t seem right, not here in the seat of honesty – though, he thought, sincerity was a mant sight different than honesty. Still, he didn’t much like it. Yours truly? Regards? They were all stock. There was another, but the thought of it made him antsy.

Instead,

With hope,
Your father

Tags:
Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Cerise's Room, Brunnhold Girls' Dormitory
Bethas 31, 2720 - Late Evening
The letter had been unexpected for all that she had asked him to write; and yet there it was, waiting for her when she returned from her weekend home. Her first weekend home in over a year, and Cerise had found her head all filled up with irritation and sentiment and hopefulness mixed together. Somehow the letter had made her angry when she first saw it. Angry enough to leave it unread for most of the day, prickled by it into studying instead.

Only after she had tired of pretending to revise her notes did she open it, and then she couldn't stay angry. It was that ridiculous greeting that did it, laughter spilling out of her where anger should be. In her father's newly-sloppy handwriting, thoughts straightforward and strange. Cerise laid back in her borrowed Brunnhold bed, Sish padding over to come curl up on her stomach while she read.

To my Honored Father, Noble Traveler of Distant Shifting Sands,

(Or so I imagine. I have never been, so you shall have to pardon my poetic license. Perhaps one day I shall have a more accurate picture, and may revise accordingly.)

Anaxas remains much as you left it: chilly, and slightly damp. My hair and I do not look forward to the coming of the rainy season. Sish is also unenthused. But neither of us shall start to resemble a boiled tomato, so I suppose there is value in an alternate perspective.

Cerise had paused at the phrase "dear friend"--she had thought it before, when hearing about the trip, but something turned over in her heart looking at the words. Of course her father had friends--she knew that. Everything was just so strange now, her eyes had snagged on the words and it had taken her time to recover. Longer when she reached that confident six words, "until I see you in person". She thought of Diana's careful phrasing--he certainly thinks you'll make it. But there was more letter to read, and she had carried on in the end.

The life of an incumbent is filled with cares and worries aplenty indeed, it seems. Does that mean you'll be on a camel? And dressed in the Mugrobi style as well? I should pay to see a sight like that; you should charge for tickets. I can't imagine why you would subject yourself to such indignity, but I suppose by the time you get this letter you will have returned already from your mysterious and important journey. Was it worth it?

It hasn't yet been decided if I will be going to Thul'Amat, but I will let you know if I do. If only because I am curious what it is you think would interest me.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying Mircalla, at any speed. (At least, I take it you are? It is quite sad, perhaps even more when you know how it must end. I'm a little sorry I spoiled the ending for you now.) Perhaps by the time you are finished, you may tell me about it in person. If I decide to come, and am not too busy to see you.

Dueling goes well, of course. Diana tells me you have expectations now, of my place on the team. (I went home this weekend past--I assume you brought home that thing on the mantle? I like it. I can't recall what it is replacing, it's been so long, but that strikes me as an improvement.)

I have started with the Tsadi, as I expect to be thoroughly scandalized and shall need to rally my nerves after. I haven't quite made it through the first volume, so I have yet to form an opinion on the one you thought I might like. "Dzih’axew" you said it was? I think I may be a slower reader of poetry than you are of novels, but they are very interesting. I'm not sure what to make of any of them yet beyond that. I shall update you in case of new developments in my next letter.

Dampest Regards,
Cerise, First Among Your Daughters
Tom Cooke

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Evening on the 5th of Loshis, 2720
H
e’d not been expecting the letter.

Somehow, he’d thought that would be the end of it – of whatever the hell this was, at any rate. He hadn’t been sure if he’d get back intact, at least in this body; he’d drunk in the sight of his room at the Crocus’ Stem as if he’d dreamed it up. When they’d let him know the letter’d been waiting for him since the thirty-fifth, he’d nodded numbly. It was only when he’d seen it lying on the desk that he understood.

He’d thought he’d be too tired to open it, that first night. He’d moved his suitcases off the bed, hands shaking worse than they had in weeks. He’d sat there beside the copy of Mircalla he’d left just on the pillow.

He’d opened it up rightaway, and he’d sat on the bed reading it, the paper trembling violently in his hands, and he’d laughed until he was breathless.

It was a few days before he could hold a pen to write; it was a few days before he had time. He’d returned to Thul Ka before the Turga had flooded, but the Vyrdag had already started. The Walk at Dejai was already a thicket of Anaxi faces; he already had a Schedule, he was helpfully reminded, and Appointments, and things would only get busier (and hotter) from here.

Thankfully, most of his duties involved sitting round in his robes of office and sweating, listening to other men argue. There’d been time enough to mull over the letter. He’d taken it with him to the bigger conferences, slipped it out of his satchel to read it again during breaks.

He wasn’t sure why he’d felt sad when he’d read it this time, First Among Your Daughters.

Incumbent Swallowthorn had caught him with it out once, in his office, before he’d seen him come in. He wasn’t sure what look he’d had on his face, squinting down at it through his spectacles; he only knew that Swallowthorn had called him a doting old man, and that his staff had all been tittering about it since.

Cerise Vauquelin, Bearer of the Lineage, Progeny of my Grateful Flesh,

He’d paused, that evening, with the pen in his hand. His script was shakier than usual, shakier and bigger; he’d thought to set it aside and return to it later, but – then he’d gone on writing, not sure when next he’d get the chance.

The sands really do shift. Whole hills of them. Never seen anything like it. If you can take some time out of your busy schedule (you know: when the concords start rolling in) I’ll tell you about it in person soon. I can tell you at least riding a camel leaves you sore in a lot of places. As for dressing in the Mugrobi style – you’ll just have to find that out yourself I suppose. I wouldn’t want to spoil the spectacle.

It was worth it.

He’d paused there; he’d set the pen down to steady his hand. When he’d evened out his breath, he started anew.

I have not had the chance to read much more Mircalla. I regret it but I did not want to take it with me and maybe lose it. It has been very busy in Thul Ka. I know I must’ve always said that to you but it is. Most of the Anaxi have got here already. My office is in a building called Iki’dzapir in Aratra which is where the Chamber of Assembly is and also the courts.

My window looks out over Penlu Market which is busy even in the morning. Penlu was where I bought the wood carving in the package with this letter. Laugh at me if you want but I got to thinking and it reminded me of Sish. It’s made out of calypt. The carver (he was dura – that means human) had never seen a drake much less a miran and I thought it looked interesting.

Ada’na Tsadi is good to read slow I think. Dzi’haxew is the one. “Silent Flight” in Estuan. It’s about a bird that flies over the Turga at night.

I don’t know. Being honest it is one of her less scandalous ones. I think I said my favorite was “Liminal” which isn’t too far from that one in the second volume. It’s about not being one thing or another and not knowing what you are and living with it.

On that note I should go and read more of Mircalla. I think I’m glad you spoiled the ending for me. I am enjoying reading it knowing what will happen. It feels almost like fate. It’s even sadder but I like that.

Keep me posted on dueling. How are you and Sish (and your hair) handling Loshis so far? I’m told it came in like a banderwolf.

Yours truly,
A Boiled Tomato

P.S. Yes the Naulas on the mantle is mine. I’m glad somebody likes it. :)

P.P.S. I’d be lying if I said things were easy with Diana but I meant every word I said to her.

excerpt from Dzih’axewShow
All these lights like eyes – they cannot see
My dark wings against the dark sky
Except where I blot out the stars

I am a free city bird following His river
Which knows no walls or borders
But one day I will fly under the sun
Cerise Vauquelin

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:25 pm

11th of Loshis, 2720 - Evening
Never in all of her life had Cerise been happy to see a letter from her father. Never, it seemed, until now. When she realized the happiness dissolved to something stranger and more complicated. Everything, it seemed, was shifting underneath of her.

A few drafts of a reply had come to litter her floor before she had finished one. Some had been more honest, and some had been less. One had been deeply angry and full of the kind of language that had earned her so many demerits over the course of her school career. That one she decided not to send, but she had kept. It seemed useful to remember those feelings, somehow. They steadied her against the more confusing ones.

To the Overcooked Vegetable Formerly Known As My Father,

Okay, I must concede: "flesh" is a truly vile word. Somehow more gruesome with "grateful" next to it.

I'm happy to hear that wasn't just my romantic imagination. Please feel free to not tell me about all of the places that camels leave one sore. I don't think that is an appropriate topic to discuss with a young lady, and especially not one's own daughter.

You may just get the chance to tell me in person after all, at which time I may judge your suitability for foreign garb. Selections for the travel team will be announced soon. If I make it, I will send word. Although I do expect you will also hear about it through other channels, as it is your generous financial contributions that will pay for my travel. If I make the team, I will be in Thul Ka on the 30th of Loshis, and will stay through the end of the Thul'Amat Exhibition.

I am laughing at you, of course, but I also like the carving. Sish is less impressed, but as she is more or less a lizard I do not know that her opinion on craft should be given much weight. I caught her trying to eat it when it was on my shelf, so it has been moved to a safer location.

I skipped ahead and read "Dzi'haxew", and "Liminal" as well. I like them both, I think. I am still deciding. I have to admit that these are not what I had expected when you recommended them. I do particularly like the image of the wings of the bird blocking out the starlight.

I have read Mircalla a few times now, and have enjoyed it every time. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it as well. Knowing the ending does make it sadder, but there is something romantic about that. Fate is a good way of putting it, if terribly blasphemous. But you never can see the path of your life until you have reached the end, or see the others near yours--it is easier, at least, with books.

Enough of that. The rain is making me sentimental. I will be glad to be out of it.

Sish hates the rain, and spends all of her time next to me. This is quite the change from before Loshis, when she spent a mere ninety percent of her time next to me. I am somehow constantly having to pick feathers out of my hair. I didn't think she had so many, and yet I am always finding more.

Cerise hadn't know how to feel about that second postscript, or if she should say anything to it. She thought, then, of seeing Diana bare-faced and sad in the retiring room at home. Because of something she had said, because of a careless joke about her father. Who wrote to her now, blithely admitting all was not well. It made her angry, and then sad, and then just very tired. She should ignore it, but she sat down and wrote to it instead.

It was exhausting, to second-guess her every feeling and impulse.

I would be lying if I said things were ever easy with Diana, for me. They would probably be easier if I could stop breaking ornamental plates. (Did you hear about that? If not, pretend I said nothing.) But I am going home for one more weekend before I leave. Like I said, all this rain is making me sentimental.

Anyway. You will know, one way or the other, if I am coming to Mugroba. I could be persuaded to make time to see you, if you finish Mircalla.

Sincerely,
Cerise, Eternally Waterlogged

P.S. - Did you draw a smiley face on your letter? I am telling absolutely everyone who will listen. Which is to say, Sish mostly.
Tom Cooke

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:23 am

Evening on the 5th of Loshis, 2720

Keeper of All the Gold Feathers,

You’re right. I’m not much grateful for flesh.

Being honest I take Sish trying to eat it as a damn high compliment. When was the last time you loved something so much you wanted to eat it? Don’t answer that.

Anyway: I wonder if she’ll like it in Mugroba. There are still some sunny days here and there in the Flood Season and maybe she’ll take to laying out on the rocks like a leira. Seen plenty of those. She’d look fine with all that gold blazing in the sun. Been tempted to do the same thing myself if that helps your imagination. There’s a lot of rain now though + the air’s so thick it’s like breathing water.

More nightmares, at first.

It was mung. It was ridiculous. Tossing and turning, waking up with a hama koketa in his chest just because of some fucking book. There’d been stories about the hungry dead for as long as he’d been alive, and hundreds of times as long as he’d been like this; there’d be stories about the hungry undead for as long as he ever was, until the last wisp of him came apart like so much sand in the wind.

They killed her, he wanted to write. He’d written it, at first; he’d scrapped it too. They killed her – without even thinking of doing anything else, just like you said. Did she deserve to die? Even if she’d’ve taken Elizabeth too, even if she’d stolen the faces of all those young lasses, down through the years? As if a stake to the heart would do it; it takes a whole hell of a lot more than –

When his bed was empty, he lay awake reading it; when it wasn’t, he still read when he couldn’t sleep, unable to explain the ache in his heart. He thought, once or twice, he’d leave it unread. Maybe if he disappointed Anatole’s daughter enough, she’d leave him alone.

That thought made him terribly sad. He didn’t much like the thought of making her sad, either; the thought that he could was new, and he didn’t know how to deal with it.

Except he read the letters, again and again.

Ornamental dishes are easy to break, he’d started writing, not sure where he was going. I’ve broken a lot of them in the last year. If you didn’t know – pretend I said nothing.

I don’t think things would be easy no matter what. I didn’t make things easy. Not now + not ever. I wish things were easier but wishes are wishes and not much better than fate. I’m glad you’re going home anyway. By the time you get this you’ll have gone home and come back. If the rain’s still got you sentimental let me know how it goes.

I am more than halfway through Mircalla now. I wanted to make some head way before I wrote back to you. Maybe blasphemy and romance go hand in hand. That’s a joke but not a very good one.

Mircalla has started making Elizabeth sick. It seems to me like in all this nobody has done much asking what Elizabeth wants. The doctors tell her why she suffers and what she must do. The Everine too. Even Millarca never answers her questions and gets angry at her for singing a hymn.

Hymns don’t hurt his ears, he thought. He was just listening to the haras’turga in Ir’iz in Aratra; he never took the waters himself, but some of the prayers were fair beautiful.

I thought you might like that line in Dzih’axew anyway. What were you expecting when I gave you the books? I hope to be stung to my core by your response. :)

I have been spending what time I can in the meditation gardens at Thul Amat. There are more than you could count on both hands. I think they could be useful to you. Úvew is all light and space. There are rooms where you can’t find your way through unless you pay attention to the wind and sound. I’m not so good at explaining.

I hope I hear the good news from you first but if not I’m keeping an eye on the mail and on my coffers.

Until then,
Your Waterlogged Vegetable

P.S.

:)
(:

Cerise Vauquelin

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:24 pm

Loshis 21, 2720 - Early Evening
To the Vegetal Keeper of Gold Coins,

I regret to inform you that you will, in fact, have to be in the same country as me once again. The same city, even.

I made the team.

I just wanted to say that up front, and get it out of the way. Now on to more important manners, like Sish sunning herself on foreign rocks. I have not seen her do this much on a rock, but she does like to sleep on sunny windowsills even in the winter. I suspect she will enjoy that much of the experience immensely. I shall not pass along your compliments, as they will go straight to her head.

Easy to break. Cerise didn't know if she was relieved or angry that he seemed not to care about the one she had broken at all. Would he have, before? It wasn't so special a thing as that, she didn't think. But her weekend at home had been awkward and stranger than she had been prepared for, somehow, though she had known it would be both. Though she was the one who made it so, as usual.

Easy to break.

If you know you weren't making things easy, she wanted to write, then why didn't you try to? It didn't have to be so hard. You could write to Ellie, you know. On second thought, don't write to Eleanor at all. She doesn't deserve to be hurt like that. Let her think only that her father is uncaring and cruel, and not that he has forgotten her. What do you think "easier" is, that you wish for it but do nothing to make it so?

She wrote none of it in the end, and she felt certain it was because she was afraid of what he might say. She had wanted answers, and she'd not found any she liked. Again.

I didn't know anything. Remember? I'm not so good at pretending, it turns out. I don't know how sentimental I feel, now. Maybe I will tell you in person. I don't know.

They do seem to go together, blasphemy and romance. That isn't a joke, but it probably should be. I see you have gotten to part of what my poorly-received paper was about. Nobody does seem to think it's much worth asking Elizabeth what she wants at all, you're right. Not even Mircalla/Millarca. I often speculate what I think she would have said, if anyone had.

Maybe it would have been the same, in the end. I like to think it might not have been.

Anyway. You should know better by now, no matter how much you've forgotten, than to ask me to do something. I am now helplessly bound by sacred law to not do it. I was expecting something more like what you used to like, I suppose. So, terribly dull, despite assurances. (There, I managed in the end.)

What about your experiences with me thus far could possibly have made you think I would enjoy meditation, or gardens? Although I must reluctantly admit that does sound interesting. Still. Meditation gardens? I suppose I will find out, when I am there. If I have the time. I don't know how busy they'll keep us; there's supposed to be quite a bit of practice. Not even crossing international borders can keep us from preparing for the summer tournament season. And the Exhibition, of course.

Since this will be coming so close to my departure, I don't know if you will have any time or desire to write back. Maybe by the time I'm there, you will have finished the book and can tell me what you think of fate at the end of it.

Until I see you, then. Or not.

Yours Truly,
Cerise "Flood Season?" Vauquelin

P.S. - Terrible. Absolutely terrible. I am changing my name and moving to Hox.

Tom Cooke

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:28 pm

Evening on the 27th of Loshis, 2720

Cerise,

That I a lowly + wrinkly tomato too soon boiled on the stove might be granted the presence of a duelist on Brunnhold’s inter kingdom team is a gift from the gracious Godess. I will try to retain a some what solid shape by the time you get here but you may find me a chutney sauted with onions by the summer heat. This tomato is very proud I mean whatever shape it is in.

“Dzutan,” he pronounced. He was crackling into the paper bag; he’d found some saucers in a cabinet by the hearth. “Picked some up this morning on the way. Very good bakery. Came highly recommended.”

The tiny office was already full of the smell of kofi; he’d made it himself that morning when he’d got there early, lighting the lamps and listening to the husk and crackle of the beans in the pan. His wrists still ached from the grinding, and he’d not got rid of the flush in his face.

Cardinal peered up over his glasses. “Sir?” There was a little furrow in his brow.

He took one of the pastries out with a shaking hand, setting it with great delicacy on a saucer.

“Is there – an occasion, sir?” Cardinal looked mildly disturbed, but smiled hesitantly.

“No,” he said sharply, lips twisting.

I’ll be briefer as I dont know whether you will get this before you leave. Turga flooded + post took an extra day or 2 to get your letter to me + all the writing I’ve been doing has my hands cramped.

You did it! I’ll have to ask you to insult me more often.

I should like to read this essay, he almost wrote. He supposed Anatole ought to’ve had a copy somewhere, or – maybe not.

Of fate (and all such blasphemy + romance) I have either a lot to say or nothing at all. I don’t know I believe the end would’ve been different. But I can’t picture it. Would you ask her after Mircalla kissed her? Or would you ask her when she’s seen what Millarca really looks like in her tomb at the end? A monster is hard to love when you see it’s face.

I will save this + everything else for when I return the book to you which I think will be soon. Sorry to say I found out you made the team before you wrote me but I made arrangements to pay for the trip + sponsor you so I guess it had to happen that way. Anyways I’ll try not to distract you too much from practice but if I don’t get that book back to you I’ll eat my shoes so I guess we’ll have to share the same air for at least as long as that takes.

I don’t know anything, she had written. Remember? I’m not so good at pretending, it turns out.

I’m very good, he almost wrote, at pretending.

What the hell am I doing? What the hell should I do?

Don’t tell me anything; if you know what’s good for you, you’ll never see me again – go, go, go, don’t take my ging, if you’ve opened this letter then burn it. Take your book back and never look at me again. You have no idea who you’re writing to, and you wouldn’t believe me if I told you, and that’s the problem. Even if you did, you can try – gods know they have – there’s no spell circle, no stake, no incantation…

Until then. Or whenever you get this.

A wilted and bedraggled sauce,
Anatole Vauquelin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Correspondences”

• Information