Cultivation of Assets

Open for Play
Writing letters? Keeping journals? Attempting Clairvoyance? Use this forum to keep in touch with other characters near and far.

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed
Topics: 28
Race: Galdor
: The one-man Deep State
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Runcible Spoon
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Templates

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:49 am

Vienda - In Chancery

The Second of Ophus, 2719

To:Sergeant Rhys Valentin - Their Majesties’ Seventen
From: Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed, esq - Deputy Chief for Policy Analysis
Subject: Pursuant to Valentin vs d’Arthe

Sergeant Valentin,

The Consular Select Committee on Oversight and Legal Reform (Hereafter the Committee) has tasked my department (Office of Legislative Affairs - Department of Policy Analysis. Hereafter the Department) with compiling a dossier of case studies upon the efficacy, or lack thereof, of certain statutes within its remit. In preliminary document research and collection of case materials pursuant thereto, matters concerning the irregular application of 19 ACC § 25/B - Abuse of Public Office have risen to the attention of the Department as a particular and significant line of inquiry.

Documents pertaining to Docket Number 9:18-VCC-20614-V/P (Valentin vs d’Arthe) have been requisitioned from the Archives per this review and we find a number of irregularities in same. Foremost among these is the relegation of what should have been a criminal trial, even under private prosecution, to the civil courts. Further, the assignment of Low Judge Ogden to the case for the initial hearing is highly usual and contrary to the usual applications of either the Civil or the Criminal code. Were this a final appeal, no concerns would be manifest. It is the preliminary assessment of the Department that these, and other, irregularities are of significance to its inquiries.

Initial review of documentation found a number of redactions and lacunae in the initial complaint along with an usual number of redactions in the evidentiary documents and attendant affidavits. Again, such redactions are unusual. Subpoenas are outstanding for the complete records. However, a lack of context surrounding the matter has placed these subpoenas under additional review and the courts have not been forthcoming in unsealing these records of review by either the Department or the Committee.

As principal party to the prosecution, the Department puts forward a non-binding request to conduct an interview with you regarding these matters. Though the transcripts of this interview will be maintained and entered into the official record, no oaths shall be required as this is not a formal deposition.

If you would see fit to aide the Department in its inquiries, we respectfully request your response to this letter with the dates within the first two weeks of Ophis, 2719 on which you are available for said interview. All communications pursuant to this matter will be maintained in the strictest of confidence.

I remain, sir, your most humble obedient servant,

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed, esq

Last edited by Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Rhys Valentin
Topics: 19
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Muse
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:06 pm

addressed from King's Court, Vienda
the 5th of Ophus, 2719
To: Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed, esq - Deputy Chief for Policy Analysis
From: Rhys Valentin, Special Enforcement Sergeant and Investigation Liaison of the Patrol Division of Their Majesties' Seventen
Regarding: Inquiries in Reference to Valentin vs d'Arthe

Deputy Chief Shrikeweed,

All documentation pertaining to Docket Number 9:18-VCC-20614-V/P (Valentin vs d'Arthe) has been submitted in proper format and order to the Clerk of the Civil Court in accordance to all outlined requirements. The selection of Low Judge Ogden was not a request made by myself, Rhys Valentin, nor of anyone on the side of the Prosecution.

It is my professional suggestion that you take up your inquiries regarding so-called iregularities, redactions and lacunae as well as other non-compliant court level decisions with the Defense, as I assure you that all of their decisions were self-serving and worthy of thorough research.

If you persist in conducting an interview with myself and can assure me further in more official documentation that this meeting you wish to conduct will not become and cannot be used in any way as a formal deposition that will be handed over to the Court for further review, I am available on either the first Ninth of Ophus or the second. Due to the nature of my employment with Our Majesties' Seventen, my availability is limited to the fifteenth through seventeenth hour or any hour after the eighth house.

Please correspond with myself directly at the above address instead of through the Secretary of the Offices of the Patrol Division at our lovely Seventen Headquarters. I would be most appreciative of your consideration that it is my personal preference for the utmost privacy in these matters for the sake of my wife, Charity Valentin (née d'Arthe).

Sincerely,

Rhys Valentin
Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed
Topics: 28
Race: Galdor
: The one-man Deep State
Writer: Runcible Spoon
Post Templates: Templates

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Vienda - In Chancery

The Sixth of Ophus, 2719

To: Rhys Valentin, Special Enforcement Sergeant and Investigation Liaison of the Patrol Division of Their Majesties' Seventen
From: Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed, esq - Deputy Chief for Policy Analysis
Subject: Pursuant to Valentin vs d’Arthe - Clarification

Sergeant Valentin,

Concerning your reply of the 5th instant, allow me to provide some additional context and clarification regarding matters. It is the finding and opinion of the Department, based upon the evidence now available to us, that the moiety of irregularities concerning 9:18-VCC-20614-V/P (Valentin vs d’Arthe) arise from official, rather than private channels. Were the irregularities and significant redactions undertaken by your council or at your request, the matter would sit rather differently. The interest of the Department is in the irregular and inconsistent applications of statutes regarding official misconduct. As this was a private prosecution, at length removed to the civil courts, you were acting in your capacity as a private citizen and not a representative of Their Majesties’ Government. Therefore, 19 ACC § 25/B - Abuse of Public Office does not apply to your person within the context of this inquiry.

Irregularities upon the part of the prosecution, though present, appear to arise from haste and a paucity of witness testimony, rather than any apparent malfeasance. At this time, the Department does not consider you to be a target of its inquiries but rather a material witness to the irregularities of others. It is in this spirit that the Department wishes to consult you.

As to the contents of the interview, and any documentation arising therefrom, will remain within the Department’s keeping for the duration of the inquiry. At the conclusion of same, it will be submitted to the Committee for review. A final report will be presented to the Inspectors General of the several ministries within the scope of the inquiry along with recommended actions. It is, therefore, not a matter that will be referred to the courts at this time. Should a formal deposition be required at a later date, the Department will make the request known to you and you may appear with council should you so desire.

Your desire for extreme confidence in what is, at its origins, a domestic matter, is fully appreciated, and every effort will be taken to maintain that confidence. It is in the official conduct of Valentin vs d’Arthe that our interests lie. In that spirit, we are enclosing the standard Guarantee of Confidentiality used in such cases. The Department’s seal, along with my own, is affixed and witnessed. We request and require that you review and sign said Guarantee before the commencement of the interview.

Again, please feel free to consult with council if you have any concerns.

As to the date of the interview, the 9th instant would be convenient to the Department. The twenty-fifth hour upon the 9th is available upon the official calendar. Unless you have any objections, which you are free to lodge and which will be addressed, the interview will take place within the Department’s offices in the Chancery.

The Department thanks you for assisting us in our inquiries.

I remain, sir, your most humble obedient servant,

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed, esq

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Correspondences”

• Information