Attention: Professor Nauleth Siordanti (Private)

Open for Play
Writing letters? Keeping journals? Attempting Clairvoyance? Use this forum to keep in touch with other characters near and far.

Athrym Bruthgrave
Topics: 13
Race: Galdor
: Welcome to Brunnhold. Now go home.
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Raksha
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 am

12th Vortas, 2718
Home of Nauleth Siordanti| Midday
A letter arrives midday through Nauleth's mailbox. It is a simple envelope, something easily acquired in the Stacks. The front has his address details. The back is sealed with wax, with the initials AB stamped in the deep blue beeswax:

Professor Siordanti,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. It has been nearly three weeks since we last spoke, and in that time I have had time to reflect on the evening of the 28th. By the time you read this, I will be gone.

First and foremost, I need to apologise for my immaturity in handling the situation. A friend let me see the night through different eyes as such, and I now see I was inconsiderate of Anaxi’s culture, and as such I let my own personal beliefs over ride common sense. I should have taken the time to discuss the matter of passives in Gior prior to that evening, instead I assumed too much of you too quickly. You can rest assured, I have already composed a letter for the Headmistress as well as your faculty peers to plead forgiveness at my actions, and to ensure you are not blamed for my arrogance.

This however, does lead me to my next thoughts, which I write with a heavy heart.

As I write this, I am sitting in the departure lounge for the next aeroship to Giorite and from there, a carriage to Qrieth. Whilst in Anaxas, I have lost my way, and forgotten what it means to be Gioran. I let my emotions overshadow my logic, and as such I need to return to the warmth of Imaan’s light and rediscover my path. The differences in our cultures are great, and I cannot willingly sit by and watch as fellow galdori are treated worse than cattle. I fear unfortunately that our views are so very misaligned, and rather than force your acceptance, I will withdraw to my home.

There is much in Gior I wished to show you, and wished for the eyes of the Da Huanes to be opened and more accepting to outsiders with your Physical magic. This however, is not possible. Not if you cannot accept my peoples ways, or me. My excitement mixed with the chemical reactions in my body brought by our relationship caused me to overlook the challenges this presents for someone with no understanding of the passive life in Gior. It would be dangerous for you to enter the city, for whilst I am only one woman, your words would be deeply insulting to those far more Gioran than I. Until you can make peace with our views, I urge you not to visit, but I would not block you. Just be aware of what you face sir.

Finally, I apologise for falling into the trap of getting emotionally invested in our mutually shared connection. I let myself love, against all my teachings and guidance, and as a result I lost sight of logic. Our fathers clearly planned for our betrothal, and I understand it would be loss of face if I say no. I am not entirely sure I would have a choice anyway, but that is beside the point. We are a politically strong match, and our family’s would benefit from the union. I ask though, that you give me a grace period to grieve. My heart is a selfish creature, and whilst I am aware you do not love me, I require some time to recover. Please do not fear however, I ensure the utmost professionalism during our wedding. If you would prefer to simply register the union as such, I will sign any official paper work to show our bonding, and we can work through living arrangements at a later date. There is no need for you to be put out by this inconvenience.

For all the aching I feel now, I am still happy to have met you, Professor Siordanti. You allowed me to see briefly beyond the flaws I perceived around me, and gave me a chance to experience new and wonderful things. I will genuinely miss you, and hope that one day, you might be able to forgive my childish actions.

May Imaan bless you and the Circle keep you safe,

Kindest regards,

Ambassador Bruthgrave.

Tags:
Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
: Magus in the Making
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:28 pm

13th of Achtus, 2718
RESIDENCE of ATHRYM BRUTHGRAVE | The HOUR the POST is EXPECTED
A letter arrives in Achtus, and even though the address is rather ambiguous (Ambassador Athrym Bruthgrave, Probably Qrieth, Kingdom of Gior), the Post has managed through skill and magic to deliver the sealed envelope, sealed in black wax with a stylized stag's head representing Nauleth's namesake.

The handwriting is hasty and, well, atrocious, but the young Siordanti was never known to write Estuan as well as he wrote Monite.

Athrym—

I have been well enough as to be expected in your absence, but I cannot say that my cravats have at all fared the same.

Your presence at graduation was sorely missed, though perhaps that is an easy understatement to write.

My research approved and successful, my dissertation defended, and my first spell to be published come Intas of the new year, the Headmistress herself bestowed upon me the certificate marking the hard-earned completion of my post-graduate education. The look on Professor Hulle's face when I was handed the robes of an official professor was rather priceless, but it all felt exceedingly lackluster without you there. There was a light missing that no illumination spell could reproduce, and it was surely yours.

My physicist colleagues like to theorize that despite what the Everine say, time is relative and non-linear. They claim to have solved why the future cannot be predicted nor the past truly changed through magic because of this, though of course there are plenty of mancers who are willing to try. Regardless of whether time is fixed or relative, it appears to always offer the most clarity to those who let it run its course so that they can look back on where they have been.

Unfortunately, as much as your apology is welcome, it would seem as though not enough time has passed between us, for you still fail to see clearly that the culture of my kingdom is of no concern to me, once one gets past the surface of things. Nor, for that matter, is the culture of the Kingdom of Gior. Empirical evidence, the truth through research, and scientific proof are far more important to my opinions than a few hundred years of socially-reinforced beliefs, whether they are true or not.

I apologize for not making that clear and for choosing, instead, to pursue much more emotional avenues of self-defense given our delightfully cultivated feelings for each other. What should have been an objective discussion was, well, not, and I fault myself for that.

Not once have you asked my thoughts, even in the weeks following when you preferred to simmer in childish anger alone without my company, apparently preferring the company of friends I do not know and making a hurried decision to abandon your position as Ambassador in order to return to the comforts of Gior. Instead of open-minded, intellectual conversation, your preference was to become entangled in emotions which you claim to despise and yet give away so freely. Instead of stepping outside of our cultural differences in order to attempt a healthy discussion and comparison, you took offense and chose to insult me personally.

That is not to say I conducted myself with behavior that was any more admirable or kind.

I did not, and I have my regrets. For those things, I am sorry.

There are too many in authority around me in Anaxas that care very much about their beliefs enough to make sure to limit my academic freedom should I voice any opinions otherwise, should those I claim as my closest associations (as my fiancé should be) voice any opinions otherwise. My conduct within the walls of Brunnhold must conform to time-honored expectations, whether or not I agree with everything Anaxi culture claims is true, though I cannot deny that I have yet to find any reason to disagree, either.

I am not at all intimidated by the opinions and traditions of Gior, as Monite and monic theory are far more universal a language and a culture that I am comfortable operating within. If your Kingdom's clan of rulers or your Kingdom's academic leaders do not see the value in magical or scientific progress, then, well, may the Gods have mercy on your homeland.

I have no fear of government power when the knowledge that I seek is far greater than a single Kingdom or a single entity of power.

Independent of your support, through the hard work of Professor Golightly's physicist connections in the University of Gior and the Headmistress herself, I have secured not only my own permission to guest lecture, research, and explore all the magical knowledge your home has to offer, but also permission for my brother, Norwyn. By the time you receive this letter, we will be well on our way, leaving Anaxas behind and making our way to the mountainous kingdom of Gior. I do not need nor wish for your sponsorship if you feel morally or otherwise emotionally opposed to my presence, though I'm content to promise to stay out of your way and your company as I have already begun working on the itinerary of our travels and my lecture series on electromagnetism and Physical conversation. That said, I will most likely be unable to convince anyone of my qualifications to bring light and air and exploration to the Deep on my own, even in the welcome warmth of my brother's enthusiasm.

Considering your chosen focus, I doubt our paths will ever need to cross unless it is intentional.

Regardless, it would be remiss of me to say that I do not wish to see you during my time in your Kingdom. Unlike yourself, I do not come from a culture that finds emotions at all shameful or a sign of weakness, which is something your Giorans obviously share more with Hox than anywhere else in the Six Kingdoms. Simple disagreements have in no way tarnished or faded my sincere care and love for you as a person, though I do not think I am at all capable of properly expressing that in words, whether spoken or written. I meant what I said in Roalis, and my intentions have always been my own, regardless of the political or economic maneuverings of our families.

If you honestly think that a difference in opinions is enough for me to decide to put to rest a life-long partnership that I carefully weighed the intellectual, emotional, and even spiritual values of, then please, take all the time you need to end up on the same page as myself. I am not one to give up so easily, and I believe that my current life is an accurate reflection of that personal truth.

Love and logic are not at odds with each other, for the mind and the heart exist in the same body last time I bothered to study for any anatomic education.

I have no interest in currently discussing the status of our arranged marriage, for I can assure you that I won't be allowing my parents to be of any influence in our choices. I earnestly believe it is too soon for you to make such sweeping decisions about the nature of our union, for it feels as though we both should continue to carefully consider or relationship and our futures.

If we were to decide we had to agree on everything, how dull a life that would be! Even the fundamental principles of our universe do not operate in such a way—look at atomic structure, magnetism, and thermodynamics! Motion, change, opposition are part of what hold Vita together, and I believe the same is true of a love that will stand the test of mortal time.

Until then, I will keep my love for you carefully tended should you decide to step outside of your so-called selfishness. If you wish to continue to experience new things, it won't be hard to spot the short ginger freezing his erse off in Qrieth, I most assure you.

May Alioe not allow us to waste any more of each other's precious time, even if it is the will of the Circle that we take the longer path toward each other. I may be insolent and rude, but I am also patient.

By the time you receive this letter, Norwyn and I will be well on our way to Gior.

Without regret,

Naul
Welcome to Brunnhold, stop-clocker, now go home.
Athrym Bruthgrave
Topics: 13
: Welcome to Brunnhold. Now go home.
Writer: Raksha

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 am

28th Achtus, 2718
Property of Nauleth Siordanti| Upon Arrival In Gior
Wearily, Athrym walked barefoot on the soft kluiw rug that adorned her living area, muttering a gentle incantation to spark the flames that lit the fire of her modest heater. The blonde held a fine crystal highball glass in one hand, swirling the cognac slowly around the bottom, letting the deep fruity caramel flavors breathe whilst she swept her eyes across the small stone desk that was carved into the side wall. It had been a long, long, long day after weeks of travelling she now had to endure weeks of her mothers self righteous judgmental words and her fathers fury at her departure from Anaxas without her fiance.

They would never change.

Taking a sip of the warming beverage, she placed the mug on her desk, moving to tie the soft ivory ties of her flowing night robe around her waist and frowning. There was a letter, placed neatly on her desk, with writing that was far too familiar to ignore. Picking up the envelope carefully, Athrym moved to curl onto her lounge, tucking her pale legs under her as she turned it over. Her heart skipped a beat as she recognized the seal, and for a moment she thought not to open it.

But only for a moment.

Reading slowly, quietly, carefully the Ambassador’s eyes scanned the words there. She smiled, and then she frowned, before finally her eyes widened. She shifted to reach for her quill and a sheet of paper. Once the letter was penned, she would secure it with blue wax and her monogrammed initials. Dressing hurriedly, she made her way quickly to the Amphitheater to leave the letter where it would be given to the recipient upon arrival.

Nauleth,

It pains me to think of those cravats in your hands, I weep, for all of Vitan fashion society.

Graduation—again, I have committed another act of thoughtlessness! I did not wish to hurt you, not like that, and I am deeply sorry. I would have loved to see Hulle’s face. I would have loved to see your achievements celebrated, but as I said in my previous letter, I have lost my way. I realized, just now, that I have seen my twenty second birthday come and go in the back of a carriage and I did not even realize. I am practically an old woman! Not really how I had intended it for either of us. Your words are reminiscent of a prayer to Imaan, and they make me both happy, and terribly sad.

It is not a matter of seeing our cultures clearly, my dear Professor, but about seeing them at all. I cannot stress enough how much different Gior is from Anaxas, and my outburst that evening was partially from genuine concern and perhaps a little fear. Fear of what my people might think of you, what they might do to you, should you inadvertently offend the wrong person. It was silly, easily resolved in private, but I had let myself be carried away by it all, and reacted poorly. You are right, it should have been an objective and rich discussion. Instead it was hurtful and defensive. On both our parts, that much I can concede.

Naul—I could not bare to see you in those weeks. My heart hurt so much I felt it had been torn from my chest. I was wrought with shame, and confusion. I could not see what I had done wrong, and was frightened of what I would face should we run into each other. I did not simmer, as you put it.

I cried.

A lot.

It was embarrassing, and not something you should ever need to see. A Gioran woman does not cry. She reflects and grows, through self discovery and prayer to Imaan for enlightenment and guidance. I was weak, and I could only see a singular solution. To return to the homeland and be closer to Imaan and my people. To recenter myself and focus on suppressing my emotional distress. It was not for you I left, but for myself. Please understand this, and I want to be absolutely clear on that. I did not flee you, sir. I fled the sobbing little Anaxi mongrel locked away in her room to let the proud Gioran step into the light.

For what it is worth, my friend was Ingatious Vinter. He is the son of a previous Ambassador, and his visitation was not planned. I call him a friend, as I feel his wisdom was what let me see that which I had done wrong. And, to be fair, whilst I did not seek you out post our final bitter words…neither did you.

Ah, but again, the brazen sneer at Gior’s ways! Professor, we are not afraid of the sciences or magical advances you mention. Just because our culture does not enslave our passives, does not make us any less eager to explore the unknown—these past seasons working on your entry for the Deep surely shows this? Who knows what could possibly be contained in the ancient texts down there? It sends my heart racing and my hands shaking to imagine what we could find. New spells, more histories of Aminark and her last days. There is too much my mind conjures!

I admit, I had to read twice your comments just now. You are coming to Gior, now? With your brother? The Da Huanes must be extraordinarily impressed with you Nauleth, more than I understood. To let two foreigners in at once, this is no small ask. Norwyn you say? I will reserve judgement, of course, but I hope he is nothing like your father.

Naul…I am notI never saidI do not object to you being in Gior, nor am I adverse to seeing you.

You still love me?

I assumed, given our words that evening and the lack of correspondence between then and my departure that you were so ashamed by me that you had no further space in your heart for me. I will admit, even against all the logic within me, I am sitting in my home smiling to myself like some wretched lunatic.

For all the words my mother has been feeding into my ear since my return, and all the prayer I have done, for all of the meditation to bring my emotions under control I can assure you are in my thoughts at all times. And, in no uncertain terms I can confess, I still love you now as much as I did a season ago. Being in Gior has been hollow without you, as though I am returning to a forgery of my former life.

I miss you.

Imaan forgive me, already I fall into this again. Am I destined to be forever a weakling ruled by my heart? Am I that undisciplined in my own feelings? Do I care?! I do, no I do not.
ɣʤɪ̈ʨ! Professor, I do not know whether I am coming or going anymore. I do wish to see you, and as such I will look for your face. My support for your intellect and research has not wavered, and I am more than eager to press on into the Deep with you. But, I am even more eager to say to you face to face, what we seem to say so easily in written word.

Yours faithfully,

Athrym Bruthgrave.

P.S ~ I must show you how to Echo Cast. Norwyn may come too, I suppose.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Correspondences”

• Information