[Closed] Brotherly Duties

Open for Play
Please identify your neighbourhood location in the Topic Tag: Arata, Deja Point, Hlunn, Cinnamon Hill, The Turtle, Nutmeg Hill, The Gripe, The Pipeworks, Carptown, Windward Market, and Three Flowers.

Demkaih Alkrim
Topics: 5
Race: Wick
: Hulali's waters wash your sins clean, adame.
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Raksha

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:59 am

32nd Intas, 2719
Windward Market - Docks|A Reasonable Time of Morning
"Oh Hulali, great God of the seas, I beseech you this day to give me the strength required to maintain calm like that of your still waters in the morning.” Kneeling in the hot sand that covered the ground just beyond the airship port, a single figure stood stark against the bright white of the bleached grains, his head bowed in prayer and hands holding a wooden carving tightly. Pressing the carving to his forehead, the figure retrieved his canteen, pouring a generous splash of clear cool water over the piece before taking a sip and recorking it. Tucking the damp carving into one of the folds of his rich red silken garments, the figure—a man—stood and brushed the dry clinging remnants of the desert from his legs. His head was bare, shaved clean of any tight dark curls now peppered with grey, though his face was smattered with days old grey stubble. A tell tale sign of stress, or at least, of being too busy to bother with his beard. Blue eyes scanned the dune-covered horizon, squinting against the luminous refraction of morning light. Adjusting the various beaded necklaces around his neck and the dully clunking bracelets on his wrists, the man shook the sand out of his sandals and fastened them, before heading towards the port itself.

It was a glorious thing, made of white limestone and bleached wood, bustling with people coming and going on trade business or pleasure. The tall man nodded warmly to those he knew, hand on his chest in a symbolic gesture that simply translated meant ‘Hulali keep you.’ Ship hands shouted to each other, moving cargo up ramps and into storage, whilst Pilots brokered deals with fellow Captains in fast conversation and animated gestures. There were priests, leading worship to Hulali in the sandstone streets, pouring water into the dirt and sharing kofi in traditional ceremony. Children ran between the people, laughing and shouting, neighborhood dogs chasing behind with wagging tails and excited barks.

“Ayah, Demkaih! What brings you to Windward Market Docks?” A loud voice called out from overhead. The blue eyed Mugrobi looked up, shielding his eyes to find a woman hanging from the side of a small sand colored airship, grin splitting her face and wild blonde curls barely tamed away from her face by a bright orange scarf. Her dark skin was marred with ceremonial scars along her upper arms, and her vibrant turquoise eyes were full of friendly welcome. Demkaih waved at her, though he didn’t stop his journey through the bustle of the dock.

“My sister Alyiah, she is coming home today from the frozen West.” Swinging off a loose cable hanging from the bladder that floated above her cabin, the woman soared through the air, landing with a graceful bounce just before the taller man. She waved her hand, waggling a finger up at him.

“You didn’t tell me you had a sister my friend! Tell me, is she as beautiful as you are handsome?” The blonde said slyly, catching a pink tongue between white teeth with a ridiculous grin. Demkaih chuckled, pressing his hand to his chest.

“Indeed. She is more beautiful than the sun setting over the Turga on a cool winters eve. You insult her by presuming I can live up to such standards.” The shaved man said with a hint of amusement to his tone, one brow arched slightly. Alyiah laughed loudly, reaching for his arm with soft fingers and a suggestive sidestep.

“Maybe she can convince you to come out for a dance and some drinks for once, instead of working yourself to an early grave.” With a fluid movement, the dark skinned Mugrobi avoided her touch and turned mid stride to step away from her and continue his walking.

“Hulali keep you Alyiah!” He called over his shoulder, leaving the airship crewman standing with hands on hips, shaking her head after his departing form. Demkaih weaved through more people, the crowds pressing together as the street narrowed into a bottle neck, the tall man having to duck under a scarlet bolt of cotton strung out above their heads to dry in the morning sun. He took a left sharply, climbing a set of pale stone stairs two at a time, before emerging on the rooftop of a large building. Each other building was interconnected by gangways and ramps, creating a whole plaza right above the streets. Even here, there were traders and stall holders, children and animals. Overhead airships hovered, either entering or exiting the docking stations. The man made his way along the rows of people, the shouts of officials with their manifests and passenger lists nothing more than background noise.

Towards the very end of the plaza was the docking station for those coming in from Anaxas, and per Desdemona’s letter, she would be arriving this morning. A severe case of whooping cough, the letter had said, and some time away from the wet winter of Anaxas would do the younger girl some good. Demkaih had been wanting Anna home for seasons, for years. He knew her passion for the work she did in Anaxas but for the love of Hulali he worried about her. Was she eating enough? Did she have enough money? Was she safe?

It was enough to make a man loose his hair.

Slowing by the station, the Entrepreneur clasped his hands behind his back, standing tall and straight with a face of calm that didn’t at all express the great many concerns that plagued him about his sister. After their father had died, Dem had been adamant she would be under his protection and his care, and by Hulali’s Great Oceans even if it killed him thats what he would do. Taking a deep breath, the older man watched for her ship, and waited.

Tags:
Orianna Aubellard
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
Plot Notes: Plot notes and thread history
Writer: jadeowl/Rachel
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 am

Windward Market
25 Intas 2719: Morning
Anna was beyond stir-crazy by the time the airship she was on started approaching Thul Ka. The trip had been relatively uneventful and the need to do something itched Anna, like sandpaper over her psyche. It wasn't in her nature to rest but, unfortunately, there wasn't much for a workaholic doctor to do on the airship but rest. Luckily, Desdemona knew Anna's nature and knew that airship was the best way to ensure that Anna didn't get frustrated and push herself to work.

Anna slept and meditated, trying to repair her relationship with the mona. But the mona slid away like water through her fingers as it refused to acknowledge her. Anna bit back her frustration, knowing that letting it show while she was trying to converse with the mona would only damage what was obviously a severe rift. When she felt her frustration rise, she dismissed the mona and fell back into religious meditations her father had taught her, using them to find her way back to calm.

As the reality of her situation settled in, a month didn't seem like it would be enough time to fix the rift. While she knew that Des would keep her apothecary running well, Anna's other two jobs would be left empty while she was away. The sudden, unannounced sabbatical would probably damage her career, but as Anna coughed her way through the trip, she had to admit her apprentice was right in sending her away for a break. The whooping, hacking cough that had nearly landed her in the hospital hung on and even Anna had to admit that she would have probably worked herself into a relapse if she had stayed in Brunnhold.

Anna also worried about what her brother would say if he found out she had such a severe backlash. He took his role as caretaker seriously and, often, she felt like a child being scolded when she received his letters. She hadn't been back to Mugroba since the summer after graduation, too focused on her postgraduate studies and then on her jobs. She had missed her brother but feared his concern for her would end setting off her temper when faced with it in reality instead of through letters.

Between her restlessness and her nerves, she was up early on the morning they were going to be arriving at Thul Ka, watching the city slide closer and closer. The part of her that desperately missed the town she had grown up in unknotted and she, once again, reminded herself to give Desdemona a healthy bonus. She had a feeling that, even if she and her brother fought like cats and dogs, this was a trip she desperately needed.
Last edited by Orianna Aubellard on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demkaih Alkrim

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:00 pm

32nd Intas, 2719
"Bajea! Look at this desema, standing here like he owns the place. Bhe, who am I kidding, he probably does. Hulali’s favorite spice merchant, that’s what you are. How about handing some of that blessing to your adame, Alkrim?” An almost disgusted voice sounded from behind him, and Demkaih couldn’t help but smirk slightly, looking away from the airship approaching the station and glancing at the ground as he thought on his reply.

“Ah, Liykos. I am fairly certain you have received enough of your own blessings from our Lord, with your silver tongue and your charming smile, but if your heart is troubled I would pray with you.” The tall mugrobi turned slightly, raising an eyebrow at his friend as he approached. The human laughed, reaching to adjust his garish orange beaten felt hat before placing a hand on his friends shoulder.

“Please no, I would prefer to get home before the sun sets over the city today, no offence adame.” Scratching at the short cropped beard he grew, the Muluku born man shielded his eyes from the sun to look at the vast airship that was now almost directly over them.

“Orianna?” He said, tone carrying his question for him. Demkaih nodded, looking up as the vessel began its preparations for descent.

“Indeed. She has come home, and by His Shimmering Waters, I am going to see if I can keep her here this time. My hair falls out thinking of her so far across the waters, I speak to Hulali every night and pray he keeps her safe, but Liykos it is hard to be so worried about someone you cannot see.” Shaking his head, the businessman stepped back slightly, the winds off the airships massive propellers causing both their outfits to flutter in the breeze. Liykos sucked on his teeth, holding his hat on his head.

“I think your hair was falling out long before Orianna left Mugroba, Dem. Because you are old, and getting older. I saw the way Alyiah looks at you, why must you be so stubborn?” The human stuck his tongue between his teeth with a teasing grin, knowing just what he could get away with around the tall man he knew as galdori. Demkaih sighed, looking at his friend.

“My soul is to Hulali, and my heart is to my sister. My mind is to my business and my body is to my work. I have no space for the distractions of the fairer sex, though that is not to say I do not enjoy their forms. The Lords words say, ‘He who would traverse the vigo of life, shall find them winding and vast, though those who seek my ubo will never loose themselves to the tide.’ I will not loose myself to the tides that seek to distract my eye to the current that will lead me to Hulali’s grace.” The human groaned with a good humored roll of his eyes, shoving the spice merchant gently.

Bhe hush with your sermons. Hulali’s words also say, ‘Fish the great ocean, and make prosperous your family, for many hands make light work.’ He is telling us to find the one, that will give you many babies and heirs. What will happen when you are gone, adame? Who will take over all you have built here and in Anaxas? Who will appease the pale-faced Giorans so they would share the softest silk you have ever felt? Who, when you are gone?” It was all said with a smile, but Liykos’ words held a serious note of truth. He couldn’t take over the business, and Orianna probably wouldn’t either. Demkaih was very much running out of time to bring a heir to the family. Someone who could learn everything there was before the stubborn man floated to the antelife on the Great Vigo.

The not-galdor didn’t reply, his jaw twitching slightly, the only indication that his friends words had gotten under his skin. Hands clasped firmly behind his back, Demkaih nodded at the ship that had now landed on the huge space of white limestone rooving.

“Here now, my sister arrives. I would not discuss these things now Liykos.” The human nodded, squeezing his shoulder and stepping back slightly, knowing when he’d passed a threshold. Instead, he smiled his mischievous smile and waited for his friend’s little sister. They’d known of each other as they had grown up, though it was more in passing hello’s then true knowing, still it would be good to see her again. He had made the trek down to the docks as previously arranged, to help with any luggage that the young woman might have, and to offer his too stressed friend an unspoken arm of moral support.

As people began to file out of the cabin doors, Demkaih’s blue gaze scanned the faces, looking for his sisters with an air of brotherly concern. Desdemona had mentioned she was not well, a cough from the cloying wet winter weather. Already, he was planning the best way to get her back home. Her room was waiting for her, should she want to stay in the plantation house of their childhood, his home now. He’d asked Liykos to ensure that the flowers under her window were immaculate and blooming, with little bee’s humming gently in the sunshine through them. After getting off the airship, they would take the cable car to the outskirts of Thul’ka, and then a carriage out to the plantation that was situated where the Turga met the Duga.

“Do you see her Liykos? I cannot see her.” He asked with a slight frown, beginning to wonder if the younger girl had changed her mind about travelling.

Orianna Aubellard

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Windward Market
25 Intas 2719: Morning
Anna found herself breathless as the airship slid up to the dock of Thul Ka. Oh, this city was the home of her soul, even though she had chosen to stay in Brunnhold.

She was so glad to be back.

The tawny-skinned woman waited as porters brought up each passenger's luggage from their rooms. She tried to remain patient as she waited for her room to be emptied, though knowing that her brother was so close to her made it difficult. Anna constantly swore that she'd go back to visit, but there were always other patients to treat and students to mentor and potions to make.

Eventually, she heard her name called and she hurried to the gangplank connecting the ship to the dock. "Ms. Aubellard," the human porter said with a nod of his head. "Do you have someone meeting you or shall I help you with your luggage?"

Anna looked at the carpet bag and small trunk and laughed. "My brother's meeting me, likely with his best friend. I can carry it until I find him," she said with an excited grin as she handed the porter a few coins as a tip. She knew her brother would be appalled at what little Desdemona had packed -- it was just enough for a few changes of clothing in Thul Ka, some books, toiletries, and nothing more. But it wasn't like Anna had been in any condition to supervise her apprentice's packing.

Anna knew she'd have to send a servant to get her some simple clothing as soon as she was settled in. She had no idea how long she would be in Thul Ka. Hopefully, a month would be enough to fully mend her relationship with the mona, but she knew she couldn't go back until that relationship was fully repaired. A handful of skirts, blouses, and undergarments would hardly be enough for a month. And she was sure Demkaih would be forcing her to attend a few dinners, so proper dresses for those events would have to be bought.

Anna got a harsh reminder of why she was in Thul Ka instinctively reached for the mona to see if it would help her see her brother. She winced as some of her nerves buzzed and the mona danced away. "Dammit," she muttered to herself before throwing her carpet bag over her shoulder and dragging her trunk away from the ship.

Thankfully, she didn't have to drag her trunk for long. She saw her brother standing among the small crowd and waved at him. "Over here, Dem!" she said excitedly. She couldn't help but roll her eyes a bit when she saw who accompanied him, though. Normally, she wouldn't have minded Liykos' company. The two of them often teased and jabbed at each other as if they were older and younger sibling. But she wasn't in the mood to be social. She just wanted to go home in silence and sleep some more.

While she waited for her brother and his best friend, she closed her eyes and took in the sounds and smells of her home. "Oh, Thul Ka. Part of me wishes I were here to stay," she thought to herself.
Demkaih Alkrim

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:50 am

32nd Intas, 2719
“Ayah! There she is Dem!” Liykos said loudly, grasping his friends shoulder and pointing out the beautiful young woman calling to her brother and dragging her trunk. Demkaih scanned for her, sighing under his breath when he saw her tugging her things along.

Bajea, go help her adame, please.” He said in mild annoyance as he began to walk towards the woman, watching as Liykos ran ahead to take the trunk from Orianna with a deep bow and a wide grin.

Ayah, ada’na Orianna, your beauty has been missed on these sands. Age has barely washed against your shore.” He said eloquently, playfully teasing her with false pseudo insults, winking and laughing a hoarse sound as he waited for Demkaih to catch up. The older man inhaled and exhaled steadily, before placing a smile on his lips and opening his arms for a hug. If she would accept it, the man would enclose her tightly in his embrace, holding her close for a few moments. His field brushed against hers, weaker by comparison usually.

He faltered. It didn’t feel right.

Poa’na, ma’ralio! Dom’bali?Sister, pleased to meet you! Are you well?” He assaulted her in Mugrobi, before looking around in confusion, not addressing the matter of her field just yet. A sense of dred sat in the pit of his stomach, but he ignored it.

“Where are the rest of your things Anna?” Demkaih asked sternly, looking back at his sister with a raised eyebrow. Liykos looked between them, sensing the tension rising in his friend. He laughed suddenly, patting the tall Mugrobi on the back.

“Aye look here Demkaih! Let the poor girl be, eh? She just flew all this way to see her poa’xa, not to bring an entire house with her. Bhe, there are clothes in her room, I have made sure of it.” He looked back at Orianna and winked.

“I even got you some Anaxi clothing, oveka ugly things, in case you wanted to stand out.” Chuckling to himself, staying well clear of Demkaih’s reach lest the man swipe for him, Liykos hefted the trunk onto his shoulders and began to descend the platform to make his way towards the cable cars they would take to the outskirts.

Muttering something under his breath, Demkaih shook his head and began to walk, taking Orianna’s carpet bag should she let him.

“I am sorry for Liykos, Anna. His mouth has not improved these years. In fact, it might have gotten worse.” He jested, his eyes on the ground before him as they moved off the platform. It felt strange, having the younger woman here again, but it felt right. Like having a heavy weight lifted off his chest. It was hard not to sling an arm around her shoulders whilst they walked.

“Desmona said you were unwell. Whooping cough? I could sense in your field, it must have taken quite a toll on you poa’na. Are you sure you are alright? Should I call for a healer once you are settled at home?” The tall merchant couldn’t help but fuss over her, she was not just his sister, she was his ward. He could not protect her from everything that Vita threw at her, but Hulali knew he would try.

“Have you eaten? We could go into Thul’Ka later for lunch, I have a partnership with one of the spice houses in Arata. They do the most fantastic hagriyani, with small dried fruit that is simmered in the sauce so it goes all plump and delicious. And Dzutan, ea it is so flaky and so sweet, you have to have it. I can introduce you to the owners son, he is about your age.” Demkaih said with enthusiasm, already planning his sisters visit for her. Ahead of them, the line for the cable car waited, as passengers boarded and took seats or stood by the windows.

Orianna Aubellard

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Windward Market, Thul'ka
32 Intas, 2719
Anna laughed at Liykos's "flirting". "And your tongue is still as flowing and smooth as Hulali's waters," she smirked as her brother approached her.

Anna let herself be wrapped in her older brother's arms, relaxing against him. "Ayah, poa'xa,Hello, brother" she said tiredly, her tongue wrapping around a language it had nearly forgotten. She tensed ever so slightly when he questioned her in Mugrobi, concern coloring his voice. She shrugged out of his hug, her lips curving into a tired smile. "Bhe.Meh I'm fine. I just couldn't shake a bad bout of whooping cough. There's an epidemic going on and I've been working a bit too hard." She put her finger up to forestall Demkaih's predictable lecture. "Don't even start. I am not having that argument again."

The half-Mugrobi woman smiled as she walked with her brother towards the cable cars. "Desdemona panicked and wanted me out of town before I worked myself to death. And that's why I have so little. My lovely apprentice basically dragged me out of bed and threw me right on the ship. She did all my packing for me," the green-eyed doctor laughed. She let out an exasperated sigh a second later at Demkaih's rapid onset of questions. "Dem, calm down! I'm not dying! Des just wanted me to get some real rest instead of pushing myself back to work too soon."

She stopped dead still the moment that her older brother mentioned introducing her to the spice house's owner's son. "Bajea!Unbelievable! I've barely just put my feet on the ground and you're already trying to play matchmaker! I told you when I graduated, I'll consider getting married when you do. I absolutely intend to stick to that and, I swear by Hulali's blessed waters, if you use my visit to try to marry me off, I will bloody well go get a hotel for the duration," the woman said fiercely, her eyes flashing angrily, though the siblings both knew that was probably an empty threat. For as much as the two drove each other insane, they were also as thick as thieves.

Anna stalked away angrily, yelled over her shoulder as she did so. "I'd like to go home for now. Sleeping on the ship wasn't very restful and I miss Cook's meals dreadfully." Anyone who walked near the woman would hear her complaining loudly in Estuan creatively. "Clocking hidebound older brother who had his head so far up his erse that his could have kissed his tonsils" was the least creative of her insults.
Demkaih Alkrim

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 am

32nd Intas, 2719
Demkaih stopped at her exclamation, turning to face the barrage of indignation from his little sister at his suggestion, hands clasped behind his back and blue eyes watching her. He sighed, tilting his head with a wry quirk of his brow at her not-so-subtle dig. Of course, he had no place to talk when he himself was pushing the latter years of his so called middle age. It was, in his mind, a different situation. The girl didn’t have the burdens of their business, or the staff to manage, or the stakeholders to woo, or the countries to visit, or the deals to make, or the—

There wasn’t enough time for romance, as far as Demkaih was concerned.

“Orianna, I only mean—” The older man began, huffing an exhale when the fiesty half-Mugrobi stormed past him, yelling her Estuan insults over her shoulder. He brought a hand to his face, rubbing his eyes and creasing his brow with a frown.

“Amazingly well handled.” He muttered to himself, before straightening and turning to follow the woman aboard their ride. Climbing into the cable car, Liykos looked at him with a meaningful whistle and a shake of his head. Scowling, Demkaih moved to stand beside his sister, holding the railing of the roof as the vehicle began to move.

“Hulali has not blessed my ears with such deeply offensive words in a very long time. I am, as you can see, crushed by this offense.” He said in a deadpan voice, looking down at her with a sudden sadness in his eyes, before making a face and looking out the window as the landscape slowly got smaller below them.

“I attended the funeral of Uzoji Ibutatu two days just gone. Do you recall him? We used to play at his parents home often, I would be the baby sitter but it was never really a chore. I cared for him, as I cared for you. A brother not of blood. He was not much younger than you, poa’na. And yet, our Father sought to call him back to His great waters.” Pausing for a moment, Demkaih gathered his thoughts.

“It is hard to remember sometimes that you are not the little girl running around my legs with grazed knees and a toothy smile, needing my protection and to be picked up when you fall over, but in fact a grown woman with a successful life beyond the borders of our home. I overstepped, and I am sorry.” The merchant bowed his head slightly, placing his free hand on his chest.

“You will be regretting your wish for Cook soon enough. I am quite certain there is enough food being prepared to feed all of Thul’Ka in honor of your arrival home, Anna. Your room is ready, of course, and should you wish to sleep I will ensure that no disturbances come to you.” Lifting his head, the man smiled a little.

“Unless you’d prefer that hotel, ea?” Underneath them, the neighbourhoods of Thul’Ka passed like model buildings, taking them closer to the next leg of their journey to the family estate in the outer hills of the city.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Neighbourhoods”

• Information