[Closed] So Much to Pay For

Open for Play
Please identify your neighbourhood location in the Topic Tag: Arata, Deja Point, Hlunn, Cinnamon Hill, The Turtle, Nutmeg Hill, The Gripe, The Pipeworks, Carptown, Windward Market, and Three Flowers.

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:56 pm

Nutmeg Hill Thul Ka
Afternoon on the 37th of Loshis, 2720
E
m, she kept saying now. She’d looked over at him once, for a knife-sharp moment, and he’d kept that neutral look on his face best he could; now, he was smiling, slow and tentative. Would have done more than slapped him, she said, and both his eyebrows shot up.

He laughed, then. He hadn’t meant to – he didn’t want to make light of it, what McAllister’d said, or the consequences for Emiel, or any of it – but he laughed at the way she said it, all matter-of-fact like an afterthought. Mostly, it was the fondness in her voice, all tangled up with everything else. She’d spoken at a clip, each word a vicious jab; but there was something else suffusing the name, something warm, like an updraft that fanned the fire even higher.

“Hard enough to shake his head out of his erse, I hope,” he blurted out before he could stop himself. He half-froze, thinking about taking it back, but there was nothing to take it back with. “I don’t know if I dare to hope,” he added instead, frowning slightly.

They were both quite a while, then, after he spoke. She hadn’t answered his question. He hadn’t much expected her to; he’d gotten ahead of himself, and it had spilled out of him idly, thinking-aloud.

These streets were unfamiliar, but he thought he knew where he was going. He thought, at least, he’d be able to figure it out; he didn’t think he’d strayed too far from Dzitoxo, and he was – he thought – going in the same direction they’d come from, if by a different route. He tried not to think too hard on it.

When she spoke again, it was sharp and light and imperious, and it almost brought a smile to his face. He’d expected the words; he could’ve told you that was what she’d say from the moment he’d finished speaking himself. And her gaze was glinting-sharp on him, and her smile was a thin slash in her face, and her brows were dark arcs above her eyes.

He looked back at her this time, meeting her gaze; there was nothing else he could do. And as she went on, he held it – and when she stopped, he stopped too, standing in the shade of a colonnade, watching and listening.

He saw the deep breath she took before she said it. He took one himself, if only because he thought his hands might start shaking otherwise. He held them steady; he wasn’t sure what his face was doing, but he didn’t feel a smile there.

Don’t, he wanted to say. Gods, please, don’t.

She was holding his gaze with all the force of promise. It tangled round his legs and weighted him to the stones. Swinherd’s debt, he kept thinking again and again, swinherd’s debt. He held her gaze; there was nothing else to be done.

And he hated it, too, the warmth he felt bubbling up in him. This wasn’t his to accept; he shouldn’t’ve accepted it. But all the same, a funny little smile twitched at his lip, sad – aching – but a smile nonetheless. He took a deep breath and inclined his head, nodding. “I’ll try to do it justice,” he offered; he expected his voice to come out lighter and less rough.

They meandered on down the path, quiet at first. His head was full of court fees and letters; the situation was a whirl of blurry, indistinct names and faces. He’d find out who the judge was, he thought, first. It was bound to be secular, if it’d happened in the Stacks, but the off-chance of it going to the arcane court was a laoso one. He’d still…

It wasn’t silence. The air was full of the late afternoon buzz, insects and the blare of the sun, and the distant chatter of broader, busier streets not far off. The warm, damp breeze rustled through the plants. They passed a small woman in crisp white sweeping off her balcony, hssk hssk hssk, though she disappeared quickly into the lull as they went by.

After a little while, he took a deep breath. “You, uh,” he started, then cleared his throat. “I thought I might see you again, before the exhibition’s got you busy.” He looked over at her. Sorry about today, he couldn’t quite bring himself to say. “The ninth or the tenth, or – somewhere around there, if you wanted. To see more of Thul Ka than Nutmeg Hill.”

Tags:
Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Nutmeg Hill, Thul Ka
Loshis 37, 2720 - Afternoon
Cerise snorted; no, she very much doubted it had moved McAllister's head even a fraction of an inch from his erse, unfortunately. It would take more than a smashed-up face from a flashy bartender in the Stacks to make that happen. The fact that Langley told the story like the ersehole had been innocent victims of a terrible assault wasn't helping matters either; most people seemed very sympathetic to McAllister's plight.

The way he said it and froze right after made her want to laugh. Like the sentiment was so strong he was compelled to say it and hadn't really meant to. Fine with her; Cerise hadn't meant to say any of this. In a way it made her feel better for having spat out as much as she did. She could only hope that it didn't come back to bite her, in the end. Just this once, she wanted to be right.

When she spoke again, they both stopped in the middle of the sun-drenched street. She thought very briefly of looking away after, of showing either one of them mercy. But mercy wasn't what she was after; she needed to know that what she had said mattered. For a moment his sweaty, thin face looked like she'd delivered a blow. Maybe she had; it was a demand as much as a statement. Cerise looked down at him and pinned him there, unflinching. She looked away only when he spoke.

"Good," she said, nodding herself. That was that. Settled as it could be, now. He would either prove it, or he wouldn't. She thought he had, at least, taken it seriously. That was good enough for the time being. Cerise let her shoulders ease, and moved Sish back up so her hands could swing at her sides.

Cerise mulled over the whole day while they continued on, not paying attention to the streets. The last house or so had taken so much out of her, she didn't know that she made much progress in her thinking. That was fine. There was time when she was alone to contemplate what her mistake had been, and where. After she bathed Sish and herself, and saw to her ankles. Were that she was any kind of Living Conversationalist, she thought with a little sigh; but no, she had no aptitude for it at all. You might as well have asked Sish to do it. Later, later she could think of everything she'd done.

There was a strong possibility that Cerise could maintain that silence all the way back to her hotel. She'd said plenty, honestly, for the whole clocking day. Week. Year. But she heard her father take a breath beside her, and she looked at him out of the corner of her eye. Her eyebrows drew up, heavy dark arcs on her face. "I didn't realize you were such a glutton for punishment," she snorted, but she was smiling. "I should be able to make some time. Just let me know."

This was all so ridiculous. Today hadn't gone especially well, all told. In point of fact, it had been an absolute clocking disaster. She hadn't even asked where he wanted to go. Cerise resettled the Hat on her head. Well, it wasn't like she had anything else to do. She thought she could allow one more try.
Tom Cooke

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am

Nutmeg Hill Thul Ka
I
t wasn’t, he reflected, a very good idea.

He wasn’t sure what’d planted the seed. Maybe it was the way she’d said – that morning, before even the first whirlwind – she wasn’t much a shopper; maybe it had been that far back. He’d known to see this through, for all he thought she’d been godsdamn miserable every second of it. It’d been necessary, he thought, if only because she’d have something made by the exhibition, and a handful of things off the rack much sooner.

Wasn’t all hellish, was it? he wanted to ask now, looking over. He snorted himself after her. She caught his eye. For a moment they looked at each other, two pairs of brows, one black and one red, raised high on two foreheads. There was a funny, narrow sort of smile on her lips.

He tried not to care, and he found himself studying her face a little longer.

Good, she’d said in her accustomed sharp tone. She’d been holding the bundle of Sish to her shoulder still, that long feathered tail swaying back and forth. He felt that iron ball sinking deeper and deeper in his gut. Maybe it was the heat making him think strange things, but he was scared it was a part of him; he was scared, for a moment, he’d never get it out of him without taking a piece of him with it.

It’d been flooding hellish, he thought. Nobody was trying to fool anybody. He turned back to the quiet lane, and he was smiling just a little himself.

Oh, he wanted to say, I know how much of a glutton for punishment I am. I’ve been glutting myself on it since I was a lad; I just can’t get enough.

He laughed again instead, lighter and easier than he’d thought. “Uh – I won’t force you to go shopping with me again, anyway,” he said, smile spreading unexpectedly into a grin. “I’d thought…”

Dreadfully violent, he remembered, still grinning.

For a moment he thought to leave it there. If he had, he wouldn’t’ve been tying himself to it; he’d’ve been giving himself more time to decide, to think. She’d already said once she wanted to go to one, and it could’ve been – a surprise, he thought. It wasn’t cowardice, he told himself, if it was meant to be a surprise.

He thought of Cerise sitting stiffly in ada’na Ebele’s, and all her talk of – tests.

“I thought we might take the cars down to the Three Flowers,” he began again, “and, uh – it’s a walk, and in a damned stranger place than the Hills…”

He was just talking around it. He scratched the back of his neck, twirling the parasol. “You said you’d never been to a prizefight,” he came out with finally. “I know a place here, if you want. The evening of the ten should be packed, but some of the more – interesting fighters are in the ring on the nine, I’ve heard. I’d like to know what you think of it all.”

The breeze ruffled the hanging plants. They weren’t so far from Dzitoxo, he thought, or some other thoroughfare, by the sound leaking over the rooftops; they’d find their way back.

He could barely believe he’d said it – hadn’t just thought it – and the words hung, bizarre, in the quiet Nutmeg Hill street. Somehow, he was still smiling.
Cerise Vauquelin

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Nutmeg Hill, Thul Ka
He'd thought...? If not shopping, she was tempted to interject, than what? Do they have ducks to feed here? She supposed if not ducks, then perhaps some other sort of creature equally soothing to give small bits of one's lunch to. The picture was faintly absurd. Cerise found she couldn't imagine what her father thought she did for fun, still. He had seen where she spent most of her time, back in Brunnhold.

Maybe that was it. They could, she supposed, get a meal or something of the sort again. Cerise didn't really know what it was that most young women did when spending time with their fathers. Shopping and getting a meal seemed to be the bulk of it. With one off the table, that just left the other. Cerise looked over again, curious. He was grinning an awful lot for going out for—for a pleasant brunch, or something equally dreadful.

Laughing first, and then grinning next. What a bizarre afternoon this had shaped up to be. They had even talked about... about Em. Never in her entire life would she have expected to do so. Certainly not like that, certainly not... Well, after the last year or so, she really didn't expect to ever have reason to talk about him again. The whole thing was almost... nice. Almost. The idea that she was pleased to be able to have even such a horrible, awkward conversation as that had been made her itch. Since when did she want to do something like that? Cerise stopped just short of a grimace, pushing that idea to the side and focusing on the present moment.

There was a point, and her father was dancing around it. She couldn't figure out why. Perhaps the neighborhood should have given her a clue; Cerise wanted to point out rather impatiently that if Three Flowers was supposed to have any significance to her, it did not. She hadn't even been in the city a week. Stranger, he said, than the Hills. Well now she was even more curious. He really needed to get to the point. She waved her hand, trying to get him to just get on with it.

"A prizefight," she repeated, when he finally did. After scratching the back of his neck and twirling that ridiculous parasol, all maiden-like. For a moment she was truly just too stunned to say much back. Her father seemed a bit shy, or bashful. Probably because this was a fair strange thing for a man of means to suggest as an outing with his eldest daughter. They had, in fact, discussed the subject. Cerise was oddly touched he should remember, a whole month later.

The street wasn't so quiet anymore. They were approaching the main road, and from there would be packed in like fish in a tin all the way back to Deja Point. That, she felt, would be the end of this strange bubble of warped expectations they were in. Or at least a sort of... lessening. A pause. Cerise thought about it—a prizefight on the nine—and laughed in disbelief. He just looked so pleased with himself for the suggestion. A predatory kind of gleam came into her eyes while she looked over, mouth spread from ear to ear.

"That sounds interesting, yes. I don't know that I have any plans that can't be rearranged." She shook her head, smiling to herself. She didn't question just when it was he had decided to be interested himself, or why he thought this was an appropriate sort of outing to take her on. She really, in this moment, didn't care. It sounded like a hell of a lot more fun than another uncomfortable evening with her peers, at least.
Tom Cooke

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Nutmeg Hill Thul Ka
A
prizefight, Cerise said in her high, even way.

He looked at her askance; he didn’t want to look – to study her face for any hint of whatever the hell he was looking for – and he didn’t want to smile, either, for all it kept twitching and curling at his lips. He couldn’t quite keep a straight face. It was hard to tell in the shade of Hat, but he thought there was a sort of glint in her eye.

Her smile curled wide across her face, making all those familiar, sneering lines. Maybe once, he’d’ve found it jarring, unsettling – no maybe to it. He had, once; he still did, he thought, somewhere in the folds of everything he felt.

It had mellowed to a funny sort of ache. It was bitterness and anger and fear, but there were shifts of a bluer and stranger feeling altogether, something he had trouble putting a name to. It wasn’t just him he saw in her face, these days. Sometimes he looked in the mirror and saw a little of her.

Her thin hands were curled around Sish, one of them red-knuckled. He found himself wondering if the resemblance he saw there was imagined; there were no freckles, but they looked terribly familiar, especially like this. He found himself wondering and imagining all sorts of strange things, lately. He wondered sometimes if blood was a tether, and if his blood that wasn’t his was an anchor. He didn’t know where it was pulling him down to; he didn’t know how long he could breathe this.

That sounds interesting, she said idly, as if she were speaking of a trip to the Handprints. He saw her shaker her head, loose wisps of dark hair floating about; he saw a private little smile on her lips, and something her nonchalance couldn’t belie.

He let out a snort, not quite rolling his eyes. “Do let me know,” he said. I’ll see if I can rearrange my own schedule, he thought to quip, but it soured on his tongue. “I do not know,” he went on instead, fixing a deep frown on his face, “what I shall do otherwise. Take up crocheting, maybe.”

He couldn’t manage the drawl, in the end; his voice went rough, and he laughed, and in spite of that feeling – that feeling, tugging him down and down and down – a shiver of gold went through his field. It pulsed lightly, playfully against hers, clairvoyant mona mingling curiously with physical.

It wasn’t Dzitoxo they found their way out on, eventually; it was some other street, even further from Dzitoxo than Ato’gow had been. They got directions from a dura, the both of them wrung out and halfway to dripping sweat from the tips of their noses. They’d been too tired to speak much, then, all the way back to the cable cars, and the ride flashed by, blurring out the window with heat and exhaustion.

He saw her off at Dejai Point with a farewell caprise and not much to do.

He forgot to get off at Cinnamon Hill, or maybe he hadn’t wanted to; maybe he hadn’t wanted to go back to the empty hotel room, in spite of all tomorrow’s promise, and the dura’s sir, and the letters piled up on his desk. And all the tsenid he wanted very badly and couldn’t have, especially tonight, when there was so much to think about and so little to hold.

So he held it with the movement of the cablecar underneath him, with the bustle in and out, with the faces that disappeared as soon as they became familiar. He smiled at bochi and breathed in the scents of stalls they breezed past, and tobacco too; he listened to the crackle of newspaper, to chatter in Mugrobi and Estuan and other tongues. It filled him up.

When he got back off at Cinnamon Hill, the light was slanting gold over the rooftops. The streetlamps were beginning to glow brighter. He walked through the gloom mechanically, in spite of his aching feet – like a man possessed – and he smiled once, and kept smiling, and he wasn’t sure why.
Cerise Vauquelin

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:11 am

Nutmeg Hill, Thul Ka
Cerise laughed again in her indelicate way, the sound bouncing off of the buildings around them. "That is dire. I'll be free, don't worry." She waved her hand in a lazy dismissal. Even if something was scheduled, something school-related, they could hardly argue with her having plans with her father, of all people. For once, his status was proving useful.

They were both of them laughing, and there was a shock of gold through his field as they kept walking. This really had been the strangest day in a very long while. The strangest since, well, last month. And this might actually have been weirder than those, somehow. But it didn't hurt, and she was angry about it. Cerise thought she should make herself be, but she couldn't.

Her knuckles hurt on the hand that had made such enthusiastic contact with Antoinette's jaw. They would for a while yet; it had been a long time since she'd used her fist this way, after all. It was a rare event, Cerise reflected, that called for more than a sort of open-palmed slap. Antoinette was special in that way. She should feel privileged. The red-raw sting of them persisted all the way back to her hotel, that exhausted, quiet journey. After, of course, getting lost.

She got off at Dejai Point, and it was hot as it had been all day. She was sweating, and her heels hurt, and the car had been rather packed. Most of the way between the stop and her hotel she didn't recall; Sish was hungry, ready for her dinner, and it was all Cerise could do to keep her from squirming away at every cafe, bar, and restaurant they passed. For such a small, narrow creature, Sish packed quite a lot of muscle. They made it, and they made it too through the gauntlet of the lobby and up the stairs. She didn't take them so quickly as she had the other day, but trudged up them. More than once she tried to seriously consider if levitating herself up the stairs was a noble use; she didn't think so, and more importantly, she didn't think she could manage the trick of it.

Cerise did her best not to dwell overly much on the look of the man at the front desk when she'd come in the door; it wasn't important. She was a sight, after all.

The moment she closed her door, Sish sprang painfully off of her shoulders and onto the bed. Cerise took off her boots and threw them to the side. The Hat was hung carefully on the doorknob. Before Sish could have her dinner, and she was clamoring for it now, she needed a bath. The very idea of such a thing made Cerise exhausted to her core, but it was important. That took the better part of an hour, a wild chorus of happy chirps and screeching. Every available surface of the bathroom, including Cerise herself, was thoroughly drenched by the end. Sish at least was pleased, doubly so when Cerise had finished drying her feathers gently and carefully and fetched her dinner: a can of that abominable whale meat.

Only after the miraan was happily snatching up her food in loud, wet bites, feathers free of butter and dust and who knew what else, did Cerise think to take a bath herself. The bathtub was one of the chief positive qualities of the hotel; it was deep and long enough for Cerise to sink most of herself into. She undressed, clothing thrown into one messy pile or another, and settled in with a grateful sigh, even as the cold shocked her skin. Her ankles and knuckles both stung. The ache was good; it cleared her mind.

Alone in the bathtub, Sish just on the other side of the door, Cerise let the whole day collapse on top of her. Just sat there in the water and simmered in the memory of it. What an absolutely clocking disaster. Just a stressful, miserable day, up until the end. And it was only now early evening. As if the shopping wasn't bad enough, there had been Antoinette and her godsdamn... her horrible, her awful...

Was there anyone, now, who hadn't heard about that night? She hated Brunnhold so much sometimes. Most times, if she were honest, save for certain areas and people in it. Now even her father knew, and somehow he had been the least hateful reaction so far. What was that supposed to be? Alioe, she hoped she hadn't been wrong. She didn't know what she'd do if she was wrong.

When Cerise got out of the bath, two more cups met an untimely and accidental end. Dropped, both of them. She felt better, hearing them shatter on the floor. Picking up all of the pieces, she even thought she smiled. There was a little time before evening practice. Cerise went to her suitcase and pulled out a book—the Tsadi that she had begun, and never finished. Settling into her hotel bed with Sish sprawled out at her feet, she decided to read.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Neighbourhoods”

• Information