Modern Day Hunting

Going hunting in Nutmeg Jill! Let's see what we can find!

Open for Play
Please identify your neighbourhood location in the Topic Tag: Arata, Deja Point, Hlunn, Cinnamon Hill, The Turtle, Nutmeg Hill, The Gripe, The Pipeworks, Carptown, Windward Market, and Three Flowers.

Radish pez Hamil
Topics: 3
Race: Wick
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Bard
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Ophus 3 2718
The smells! They were overwhelming, and as Radish looked cheerfully around the market, all the sights and sounds and smells... They just came to him. Fish here, spices there, the odd bit of cattle or camel. His mouth watered with the possibilities, and as he spied the stall he was looking for, daydreams fought to keep his focus. He licked his lips as he approached, smiling widely at the dark-skinned merchant.

"Radish!" Goovra's eyes lit up. The two had been seeing each other every few days for years, and now they had developed the closest of professional relationships.

Goovra pez Vrim was widely regarded as a bumbling but honest merchant, one whose wares sold slightly under price simply because he had no backbone. But to Radish, it was the honesty in the merchant he enjoyed. Goovra ensured the quality of all his products, from the freshness of the meats to the packaging of the Muluku spices. Meeting the gaze, Radish did a little flourish, something like spinning around on his heels and presenting himself.

"In the flesh, my good man. In the flesh," he said, each word punctuated by a short pause. He waited a moment as Goovra's squat form came around the stall to shake his hand, then went to examining the wares. There were slabs of beef laid out on the table, with little shelves of recommended spices behind. On the tables to the side were fresh catches from the Turga, whole fish, and big ones.

"What can I do for you today, Radish?" Goovra asked, still smiling happily. He took an errant straw and put it in his mouth, holding it much like a cigar. Radish knew he had quit with the cigars, but this was a strange practice to take up in its stead.

"Actually, I was hoping you'd tell me, Goovra. I'm looking for something new and fresh for the cart, and I was thinking of trying something... odd. Fish, maybe... I had an idea for a paste that would bind the meat together so it wouldn't fall off the stick. Hulali knows I lost too many fish trying to spit 'em." He laughed, looking down at the fish on display. One, a grey-scaled monstrosity, looked right back at him, dead eyes staring into Radish's as if calling him.

"Oh, that's a good one. Caught fresh this morning, though Hulali only knows what it endured to get to me. Ol' Benja has been taking his sweet time with the deliveries," Goovra explained, suddenly serious. Goovra was the type of man to take his deliveries very seriously.

"It looks good, no marring, none of that scale rot Benja brought in with the last shipment," Radish said, bending close to sniff the fish. It was fishy, all right, but certainly smelled better than the somewhat rotted ones Benja tried, and succeeded, to sell to Goovra last time. He laid a hand on the scales and pressed. Firm meat.

"So let me tell you about this paste... I am going to make it from boiling tengu leaves with water and flour. The tengu leaves should give it a little acidity, and then when it's applied, it'll keep the meat tender while still holding it together. This guy here will be my first test fish with the idea..." Radish said thoughtfully, wondering if he should seek out a smaller fish to test with. Goovra, though, laid on a large grin.

"Tell you what, my old friend. I'll give you a deal on the fish and whatever you need with it, if you bring me one of those onnastick when you finish it up. Deal?"

Radish considered. It was a good deal, especially if the discount Goovra gave made up for the cost. But he wasn't sure he wanted to push the cart all the way to Nutmeg Hill for his first sale. He had intended to start in one or two of the smaller neighbourhoods, but he supposed he could go for Nutmeg first. He smiled and nodded.

"Deal."

Goovra's eyes shone, and he looked back at the other tables.

"Good. What else do you need?"

Tags:

Return to “The Neighbourhoods”

• Information