[Closed] Don't Need My Blood

Cerise gets a visit from a familiar face at practice.

Open for Play
The center of magical and secular learning in the Kingdom of Mugroba, Thul'Amat originated in the sandstone of an ancient temple and has now spread to include an entire neighbourhood of its own.

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 am

Dzeqar’ameh Dejai Point
Evening on the 33rd of Loshis, 2720
H
e wasn’t sure why he hadn’t expected Cerise to find it funny; he’d grinned back, and he’d laughed again, and the moment had been swallowed by the whirl of colorful shapes through the glass doors, the spill of phosphor through the trees – and Sish launching herself out of Cerise’s arms like a gold bullet.

His breath had caught in his throat. He’d looked at Cerise, both his brows halfway up his forehead, and then back at the tree. A long gold tail lashed, coiled and slithered round the shaky line of a branch. There was a glitter like concords in the middle of a whorl of glossy leaves, and then further down the branch, and then on the next tree.

Cerise didn’t seem too concerned. They started walking again, slow enough he caught his breath. He looked over, following the movement in the corner of his eye curiously, but mostly kept his eyes on the street ahead and – now and then, subtle, stolen glances – Cerise.

Ah, yes. That.

That. He sucked at a tooth, taking a deep breath. The street ran parallel to a thoroughfare, and occasionally between the houses the noises of raised voices drifted. Yats smells were flowing in from everywhere, warm ghee, lentils and fried onions and fried lamb and peppers; he’d been in Thul Ka long enough he knew it for the cacophony it was – bits of Pa Olakano, bits of the desert, even sweet-salty drifts of Hox here and there, and Anaxi and Bastian cuisine – but not long enough it wasn’t unfamiliar.

He snorted, a little too sharp. “Oh,” he said, “what a relief!” You don’t have a clue to whom you’re talking, he thought; you don’t have a clue. Do you know what it’s like, murder? Do you know what it’s like, to have blood on your hands and dream of brigk?

He was holding his jaw fair tightly. He wasn’t sure when he’d made a habit of it, this – the way he held this jaw – or the way he could feel his lip twisting, curling, the way his hands were clasped white-knuckled in the small of his back. The way he walked straight-backed and rigid, heel to toe.

He breathed in deep from his diaphragm. He looked over at her again. Not much hair had fallen out of her braid; a smile twitched at his lip, and his eyes flicked back down at the stones, a blur in the gloom, moving slowly by.

There were people here, here and there. They weren’t too far from the cafe; he’d taken them down quieter streets, but there were still students and faculty clustered at tables, laughing and drinking, or perched on second– and third-storey balconies. Estuan and Mugrobi mingled in the air. A couple of lads under one awning pointed at the flash of Sish’s wings under a street lamp, laughing brightly.

“You do realize,” he said, “the bank was going to throw a Circle-damned fit about it, don’t you? If I’d been in Dkanat a week longer, there might have been a hell of a mess to sort out.”

Cerise had a look on her face he thought was rather familiar, in an unpleasant sort of way.

He thought of the Clock’s Eve party suddenly, of Niccolette and the brigk, and swallowed. Cerise hadn’t got kicked off the team; whoever it was hadn’t pressed charges, he reckoned. “Listen,” he said, “if… You do what you have to do, all right? I just need to know what to expect. If you need anything, I mean.”

Tags:
Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Dzeqar’ameh, Dejai Point
Loshis 33, 2720 - Evening
Even the smell of the air was different in Thul Ka. Cerise had decided this already, though she'd seen little enough of the city in these past three days. That shouldn't have come as much of a surprise--her somewhat dim memories of Florne were very different from Vienda, and Vienda different again from Brunnhold. But Bastia was more similar to Anaxas than this, at least in her memory. As they walked along the street, she saw (and heard and smelled) here and there flashes of things she knew. Mostly, though, all was foreign and colorful and strange. Cerise didn't know if she liked it or disliked it; a bit of both, it seemed.

If she had known the question was coming, she might have been able to prepare a better answer. Honestly, Cerise was surprised he had asked about the circumstances and not scolded her about the money. The price was nothing they couldn't afford--at least as far as she knew, her grasp on the depth of the family pockets fuzzy. She didn't usually have to know it in any exacting way. There was just always money enough, and she left it at that without further thought on the matter. She hadn't known, she hadn't expected him to much care.

The sharpness of his response took her aback. First she was surprised, and then irritated. It splashed out around her; there was no way her father missed it, walking close as they were. A relief! Cerise didn't know why that annoyed her so much. She twisted her mouth and her eyebrows, but kept her eyes on Sish instead. The miraan never strayed too far from Cerise, and she wasn't worried that she would--but she wasn't sure either. The behavior of animals was never predictable, especially not when taken out of their usual environment.

There was a silence as they kept walking, and Cerise filled it with looking around. This street wasn't too busy, but it wasn't empty either. Sish was staying carefully out of range of anyone else's hands, but eyes were drawn to her anyway. The glitter of her scales and feathers caught the lights, here and there. Two boys pointed at her and laughed; Cerise almost smiled. Miraan weren't common in Brunnhold, either, but they weren't quite so uncommon as here. She had yet to see another one. And Sish was exceptionally lovely, in Cerise's completely unbiased and objective opinion.

Did she realize? Cerise frowned, looking at her feet and the uneven stone below them. She hadn't thought about it. The money was just there, and spending it had never been a problem before. The scolding made her feel foolish, like he was telling her she was just some child ignorant of the world at large. Which, she realized grimly, was perhaps what she was. At least when it came to this.

There was already a mess to sort, she wanted to protest. This is how I sorted it. Her jaw set, and her shoulders with it. No--she didn't care. If the bank had thrown a fit, that would have been a Vauquelin problem to solve. What she had wanted--Emiel out of jail--would already have been accomplished. And, she thought uneasily--it would have just been a bank problem, wouldn't it have been? Or would there have been consequences, after that, for him too? She didn't know. Her ignorance galled her and stung pale color in her cheeks.

"That's what I did," she snapped. It took her a moment to fully understand that last part. When she did, she felt something uncomfortably like guilt for being snappish. The heat was frying her brain. She had never felt guilty for snapping at her father before--and she'd certainly done it enough times.

"It wasn't exactly something I'd planned on doing," she admitted grudgingly. The scowl stayed fixed on her face. "But I will keep that in mind, for the next time I need to pay bail." That wasn't an apology, but it was as close as she was willing to come.

"It's not like I can get you word quickly from Anaxas," she tacked on after, unwilling to just let it go without a final strike. What difference would it have made if she'd written to tell him first, if he'd been in--wherever it was he had said. Dkanat. Wherever that was. Somewhere the bank couldn't reach, evidently.
Tom Cooke

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Across the Streets Dejai Point
H
e ground his jaw, looking up at the slat of sky between the rooftops, breathing in deep. The crooked smile was still on his face; his brow was still a knot of concern. He felt like he’d bitten into a peeled lemon. He wasn’t sure his face had ever done this many things at once, and he’d not a single damn clue how it looked.

That’s what she did. What’s what she did? He felt the red wash through her field, blossoming like a bruise. His own flared red – dark, heady worry-anger – before he could clamp down on it.

Clamping down on it never helped. It was like growing up from a lad, it was like having a limb you had to learn how to use, like – oes, dze, he knew what it was like.

Except it was everything: the mona shook and dripped blue like tears; they flushed blush-purple; they sang with everything in him, if he let them, and the more you tried to suck it close to your skin, the more you looked like a pimply boch.

He knew well enough there was no color to his field, now, no tinge to the air. Not past the barest taste of dread, like the turn of leaves before a storm. It was still tense beside hers, skittish at the caprise; it was like another face, more like, and it wasn’t smiling, but it wasn’t angry, either.

Floods, I wouldn’t make you tell me, he wanted to say. I’m sure he, or – whoever it was – I’m sure it was deserved, and you don’t have to talk about it. Just drop it, he thought, just drop it.

“The next time,” he murmured, forcing his tight-clasped hands to relax. His wrists and his knuckles ached.

Nearby, he caught a flash of gold leaping between an awning and a tree, then tangling up and across the branches.

He shook his head, sighing. “No. No, you couldn’t.” A perceptive field brushed by; a woman was laughing, gold flashing at her throat. Epaemo, he wanted to say; I’m sorry, he couldn’t bring to his tongue, for all he’d said it dozens of times in the office, dozens of times at soirees, with dignitaries. What would he be apologizing for? Everything?

At the end of the street, he caught sight of it, the vivid blue awning turned deep, strange green by the phosphor lamps. There was a cafe across the street, too, tables set out and lit in blue and red and gold. A pale-skinned, dark-haired man sat amid a table of Mugrobi, grinning.

“... It’s not going to be pleasant in Hamis, when Professor Idohi learns of it,” he was saying in a Bastian accent.

One of the Mugrobi, hair dusted with white, laughed.

“I was saying years ago that ferrous-monic oxide is not the be-all, end-all in seerstone production; to augment with – by Her fearful symmetry!” he growled.

“My, my,” laughed a woman at the table, “is that a miraan?”

He stopped under the awning of Oti’úqaq, squinting at the tangle of branches over the cafe opposite. He blinked, then looked at Cerise. “I just would’ve liked to know,” he said, “before or after. I won’t ask any more questions, only – hells, never mind. I’m just glad you’re all right.”

“It’s gold!”

“Do you just – call her over?” he asked, blinking up toward the street lamp, curious. He couldn’t quite imagine it.
Cerise Vauquelin

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:27 pm

The Streets, Dejai Point
The anger, in return for her own, Cerise had expected. The feeling that darkened it, muddied the colors--what was that? If she hadn't known better, she would have sworn it was concern. That made her grind her teeth too, made her feel just the littlest bit sorry. She didn't think she could make her father worried, honestly. Not about her, anyway.

Maybe it wasn't about her, maybe he just cared about what his eldest daughter paying bail--for herself, for someone else, either way--said about him and if it would impact his career. But that didn't go with all the rest of it, and Cerise thought that was a thing she only wanted to believe because it was easier than admitting she should back down from this one. She forced her jaw to relax. It was making her head hurt more, anyway.

"I'm not actually planning on a next time, just so you know. Hanging around Seventen stations looks bad on a duelist, I'm told. This was--" Cerise didn't finish the thought. A woman walked by with a bright perceptive field, making her remember where they were. She had lost track of Sish somewhere in all the anger. Cerise looked up and around, finding a flash of feathered wing in a tree above them.

They had come to the end of the street, and there her father stopped. Cerise supposed that this, then, was their destination, this blue awning. Or was it green? Cerise had never been very good at telling the two colors apart. Especially not in the funny mix of evening air and phosphor light, tilting everything from their customary colors. Cerise frowned, but mostly at herself. A hand came, again, to hover near her poorly-redone approximation of a braid. She didn't touch it, remembering at the last second that she shouldn't do so.

Just glad she was all right? Was that actually what he'd said? She looked down at him suspiciously. Had he hit his head somewhere out there in the desert? Suffered some kind of traumatic injury? Cerise wasn't sure that was advisable, given he was only recently recovered from the--the stroke, or whatever it had been.

"I will take that under advisement." She paused and frowned again before clicking her tongue in frustration. "And I'm... sorry. If you were worried. I didn't think you would be." Not about me, she didn't add. Her neck prickled and itched, and she didn't think it was the heat.

That, though, seemed to be the end of it. Cerise was grateful to move on. A grin spread across her face, making her look rather like the miraan in question. "Something like that," she said, still smiling. She did like doing this in front of an audience, sometimes.

Cerise looked up, finding where Sish was tangled, chittering happily to herself. She was almost sorry to call her back, but she thought any ill-feeling could be made up for by sharing part of her dinner. There was a quick glance down at her father, a sweep of her dark eyebrows. Then she let out a whistle, loud and sharp, and held up her arm. It was a little different, admittedly, from the whistle she normally used to call Sish down. Miraan were smart, and Sish was especially so--they had two of them worked out between them. One to just call her over, and one for this.

Sish left off her explorations, perking up her golden head at the sound. Her eyes swiveled down to look at Cerise's outstretched arm. When she launched herself back towards her, Cerise braced for impact. The golden body landed on her forearm; Cerise grunted a little with the weight of it, and the sharpness of her talons. Normally when she did this, she was wearing a leather brace for just the purpose. It protected her from the worst of the scratching. But, well, she couldn't resist the theatrics. Sish did a very good job herself, of course, spreading her wings to the fullest extent of their span, wrapping her feathered tail around Cerise's arm while remaining somewhat on her haunches.

Cerise shifted her muscles, and Sish folded her feathered wings in. She crawled up to her customary place on Cerise's shoulders making all kinds of happy little trilling noises. For her own part, Cerise ran her fingers underneath that triangular jaw and along the smooth column of her scaled throat.

"What a good girl you are," she cooed, not concerned in the least about how silly she looked or sounded when doting on the miraan so. "So impressive, hmm? You almost made up for the lobby plant. Oh." Cerise paused in her praise and turned to look back at her father a little sheepishly. "That is coming, also. I don't know what the bill for that one is going to be."
Tom Cooke

Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Across the Streets Dejai Point
U
nder advisement. He’d nodded, on the edge of a wry smile; something about what she said next melted it right off his face. He’d looked at her for a moment – the set of her lips, the frustrated angles of her face in this strange light – before looking back and away, his brow furrowed.

Didn’t think your da’d be worried about you? Posting your godsdamn bail? If I went back, he thought, if I found some way to pluck him right back out of the Cycle for you – gods forbid – I don’t think Auntie’d be any less worried. He tried to remind himself what he’d thought about gollies and their bochi, but it didn’t quite stick.

No, he thought – no, he’d just flooding told her in Bethas her da didn’t remember a thing about her. No, he knew for whom that dig was meant.

The thoughts swirled away at the sight of her grin, face even paler in this light, teeth flashing. “Oh?” he laughed.

He couldn’t help but grin back, looking up where she’d looked, to where Sish was climbing about the branches of a tree. Cerise put out her arm, and his eyebrows shot straight up. A sharp whistle sliced through the air; there was a flash of gold like a bullet, flashing in one streetlamp and then the next, and he heard her grunt softly as she took the weight. He was still grinning.

The woman at the table opposite had one hand spread out on her chest, her mouth an ‘o’. But the Bastian was grinning ear to ear. “Hurte’s grace!” he cried, then whistled, then clapped. The Mugrobi professor was sitting back in his seat, laughing a full, deep laugh. He started clapping as Sish spread her gold wings, and then the woman was clapping, too, and a couple of younger arati sitting at the table adjacent.

He wasn’t clapping, or grinning anymore, but he was smiling; he wasn’t sure why. More watching Cerise coo at Sish underneath all that chirping and trilling, like you’d talk to a cat. He watched the smooth scales on her neck twitch and shift underneath Cerise’s fingers, her beady little eyes squinting happily.

He laughed when she mentioned the bill. “Little hatcher, you are,” he repeated, laughing a little harder.

At least she didn’t get herself tossed in jail, he thought to say, then thought better. His smile was still a little crooked; not all the lines had gone out of his forehead. He thought about reaching out and stroking that feathered head. He thought – he wasn’t sure why – about reaching out and clasping Cerise’s shoulder, as if to say…

He didn’t know what.

He smiled instead, sidling the door to Oti’úqaq open and gesturing up the stairs.

It was as he’d remembered a few weeks ago, for all it felt like months. He’d expected it to be packed, this time of night. Maybe it was that it was a three; maybe they’d got there a pina early, or a pina late.

It wasn’t too crowded under the ruffling awning as they came out onto the rooftop, and in the dark, it was a whirl of colored lights – some phosphor, some oil lamps with bright paper covers, all hung from the posts that held up the canvas. The breeze was much cooler up here, though it smelled no less of rain.

There were a few tables open. It looked like a big party’d left not long ago, because most of the ones in the middle were vacant, with a few gaggles of students and a handful of other arati fields scattered about the edges. There was only one table open by the edge of the roof.

Smile cracking back into a grin, he led her over to it. The walk and the stairs had winded him; he pulled a chair with shaky hands. “I’ve never been here at night,” he said, gesturing.

Dejai Point was a sprawl of lights. The rooftops where you could see gardens by day were nothing but shadows; it was the streetlamps, the bright windows, the figures moving and casting long shadows about the street. You could see more stars up here, too, though not so many as outside the city, and a bank of clouds was gathering on the horizon.

He was happy to ease himself down into a seat, trying not to grunt – though a wince flickered across his face – as he did. He glanced up at Cerise, Sish still tangled about her shoulders; an arata server’d seen them come in, and if his eyes’d widened a little at the sight of the drake, nobody’d said anything yet.

“I – finished Mircalla,” he started after a moment, hesitant, with a smile. “I don’t know if you got my last letter.”
Cerise Vauquelin

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:58 pm

Oti’úqaq, Dejai Point
It was hard not to preen a little at all the reactions their performance got. The Sish and Cerise Show, delighting audiences since 2719. They didn't often get much of an excuse to show off, but it had been a way to occupy her time over Roalis, teaching Sish this particular trick. Long, hot hours, just her and the miraan who had been barely more than a hatchling then. The part where Sish landed on her outstretched arm had seemed a better idea at the time, before she got to her full weight.

Cerise had looked over to see if the whole thing had the desired effect on the intended audience, oddly pleased to see that it had. She mentioned the bill and he laughed. Cerise felt lighter then, with the weight of Sish curled around her shoulders. She shrugged unapologetically, smiling with all of her teeth.

As she walked past the door her father held open and into Oti’úqaq, she rubbed at her forearm. There was a slash torn in the sleeve of her blouse; Cerise frowned down at it briefly. She hadn't packed that many, having expected to spend most of her time in uniform. While the three of them walked up the stairs, Cerise plucked at one of the severed threads, making the hole even bigger than it was. She certainly hoped she could have her clothes laundered before they left, or she would be trapped in green wool for the next week and a half.

There were few enough people here now; Cerise didn't now if the place was unpopular, or if it was the day, or the hour. Or some combination of all three. Certainly the lights were very pretty, and it was less hot. She didn't know how that was managed, but she was grateful. Sish didn't generate much heat of her own, luckily, but she did block the air circulation to the back of her neck. The flurry of little claws had also pulled at some of the hair Cerise had piled haphazardly on top of her head, and it stuck to her skin in a deeply uncomfortable way.

The table her father led them too, grinning for reasons she didn't quite understand, was at the edge of the roof. It was the one Cerise would have chosen, too, though there were plenty of others open in the middle. She frowned faintly when he pulled the chair out, watching. Something rippled across her face. Cerise kept any concerns for her father's well-being to herself. She was, after all, a stranger really. And he had been annoyed by it before. She took a seat without saying anything at all, though the frown remained, as it usually did.

"It's pretty," she offered instead, looking from the edge of the roof to the sprawl of Dejai Point below. Lights below and above, though the clouds blotted out some of them. And it was; the sentiment was simple, but she meant it.

"You sent another? No, I didn't--it must have come after I left. Did you..." Cerise hesitated under the pretense of getting herself settled, of settling Sish also. She transferred the squirming body from her shoulders to her lap, so that she could eat at all. "What do you think of it? Now that you've gotten to the end?"
Tom Cooke

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:33 pm

Oti’úqaq Dejai Point
P
retty. You should see it in the daytime, he might’ve said, when you can see all the greenery on the rooftops, and – between those two buildings, he could’ve pointed out, you can see the sun catching on the Turga, just a pina…

It’s pretty, she’d said, and he couldn’t bring himself to. There was something comfortable about the quiet that followed after a thing like that, all full up with the wind ruffling the canvas and the soft chatter of folk on the roof and in the streets below. It was pretty; it was almost comfortable, too.

He didn’t look over, at first. Felt a funny prickle at the back of his neck. Maybe he shouldn’t’ve sent another; he couldn’t’ve said what was in her voice, except she hadn’t expected him to, and he felt a little embarrassed. He couldn’t remember all of what he’d written, either, and he tried not to wonder what she’d come back to.

But she paused, and he looked over at her. She was wrestling Sish off her shoulders and into her lap, a few more black curls tumbling out around her face.

He didn’t look close – he didn’t even look away from her face – but he saw it, in the corner of his eye. Must’ve been where Sish’d landed. It made him hesitate another moment.

Ruined now, he thought. Would’ve got somebody to sew it up, if it’d been him, if he’d still been who he used to be; it’d never mattered before, the mark patching up a hole left. He wasn’t sure it mattered to Cerise, either, except he knew – almost without knowing – that it wasn’t proper for a golly to go about with a patched-up hole on her sleeve, and so the blouse was as good as ruined, now.

He wasn’t sure why he even thought of it. He smiled faintly, glancing down at the smooth pale wood of the table.

“I’m glad I read it,” he said after a few more moments, turning the words over and finding no lies underneath them. “Thank you, Cerise.” He remembered the cold sweats, a dark room spinning, clutching at his chest where he expected the point of a stake; he took it and put it away someplace else, for all it wouldn’t quite go.

He sucked at a tooth, tracing the pattern of a wave on the table. “I keep thinking about it – what, uh…”

He wasn’t sure what voice he’d thought he was using with his pen, that this one sounded so strange around the words.

He thought of saying something light, something easy. A chilling story, gracious Lady – how grateful I am such things don’t truly exist! That would’ve missed the mark entirely, but – kept me on the edge of my seat, maybe…

“It seems to me there’s two – parts,” he said, tapping his fingertips on the table, then easing back. “I don’t know. Mircalla and Elizabeth, and then – and then they call in the Hessean baron and the Everine and all, and then they’re slaying the monster. And whatever it was between them, it stuck with Elizabeth, even after. But it’s never really –”

“Evening,” came a bright voice, setting down two glasses of water, damp with condensation in the humidity, and a small metal pot.

The lad was Cerise’s age, maybe a little older. He was an arata with a bright Living field and a long, thoughtful face; it broke into some kind of smile when he saw Cerise, raising his brows at the squirming miraan in her lap.

The lad winked at her a little clumsily. “I’ve never seen a miraan,” he said, glancing – he would’ve sworn nervously – at Cerise’s father. “Does he like fish?”

He cleared his throat; he was squeezing a little lime into his water, pouring a little of the syrup in. He didn’t look at Cerise or the lad, but he was smiling amusedly.
Cerise Vauquelin

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:15 pm

Oti’úqaq, Dejai Point
Sish's claws caught in the hole she'd already torn in the sleeve of her blouse as she wrestled her down off of her shoulders. Too much excitement, maybe; normally she was a bit gentler about settling from shoulder to lap. Normally. Of course, normally, they didn't get to perform that little trick of theirs in front of an appreciative audience. Especially not one that included her father, who seemed to like Sish. Somehow. There was a ripping sound as she made it just that much wider.

Cerise sighed, inspecting it. She could--ask someone to sew it shut, maybe? That seemed like a waste of effort, when she could just get a new one. Except for the fact that she didn't have anywhere to get a new one while she was here, of course, and it was only the start of the trip. Maybe she could roll the sleeves up, like some kind of day laborer. The thought didn't much bother her, really, but she doubted the school would approve. Was it better or worse than the hole? Holes, she corrected herself, spotting another that had been out of sight until she started fiddling with the sleeve.

Cerise looked up in surprise when her father started speaking. Certainly inspecting her sleeve had given her the excuse to not watch his face for some kind of reaction, or indication about how he felt. It was hard to tell in letters; there was some kind of gap there, between those inked words and the way he spoke to her now. Cerise didn't know what it was, just that it annoyed her and made her a little sad all at once. Maybe it was just easier to forget who he was talking to when he didn't see her face.

"Oh, er," she frowned awkwardly, not sure what to do with that kind of sincerity. It seemed to her a very strange thing to thank her for, and yet here he was. Cerise shrugged, like she could dismiss the odd kind of happiness with it. "Good. You're, uh, you're welcome."

The frown remained while he continued, tracing some kind of pattern on the tabletop. If she didn't know better, she would have thought he seemed embarrassed to tell her. Which didn't make any sense. Memory or not, that was--just strange. She raised her eyebrows, listening. Waiting for the end of the thought.

She didn't get to hear the end of it, because it was interrupted by a bright Living field, and the voice and person who came attached to it. She looked up to see their server as he set down the two glasses and a metal pot. Bafflingly, he smiled at her--no, at Sish. Maybe? Then there was a kind of clumsy wink, that made her laugh a little.

"She does," Cerise answered with an upward sweep of her eyebrows and an emphasis on the pronoun. Not, she supposed, that Sish cared much. "Marine life of all kinds. We have recently discovered she has a fondness for tinned whale." She didn't quite smile, but her frown adjusted slightly in temperature as she spoke.

The whale was something of a problem. Not because Sish wouldn't eat it, or she couldn't afford to get it--unfortunately, it was easier than she had hoped. No, the problem was that she was far too indulgent and now had to smell the stuff on a semi-regular basis. Ever since Em had tried it as a bribe to keep Sish out of their way for a while, she had come to demand it. Or at least, she got quite excited when cans were opened in her presence, and disappointed when that wasn't what was inside of them.

For this little exchange, after the winking, Cerise had been very determinedly not looking at her father. The movement of his hands caught her attention from the corner of her eyes, and she glanced over.

"What is that you're doing?" She meant with his water, but the smiling too probably. It was very unsettling.
Last edited by Cerise Vauquelin on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Cooke

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am

Oti’úqaq Dejai Point
C
erise laughed; his own lip twitched, and he suppressed a snort. He didn’t say anything; he inclined his head at she, but he didn’t look at the lad. In the corner of his eye, the lad looked undeterred. A smile twitched across his face, then a grin. “Tinned whale,” he repeated. “I’m not sure about whale, but I’ll see what I can do.”

At the edge of his, he could feel the arata’s soft perceptive field caprise Cerise’s; it was deeper than the caprise with her da, and, he thought, a little bold.

He stopped, setting the metal pot back down; he glanced up, lifting his brows. “Oh –” He was halfway to reaching for the lime. “It’s a syrup,” he said, “for – sweetening.” He squeezed a wedge of lime in, then stirred.

He hadn’t, he realized belatedly, thought.

With a last grin at Cerise, the lad was weaving off between the tables toward the stairs; he waved at another arata lad who was wiping down a table and clearing away dishes, and he said something in cheerful Mugrobi the wind half-snatched away. At another table, not too far off, a gaggle of teenage girls was tearing gratefully into a tray of food, using flatbread to scoop up cabbage and lentils and greens.

He might’ve warned her, but he didn’t know, after all – and, he thought irritably, she would’ve been peevish with him if he had, whether she was used to eating with her hands yet or not.

Most of the cafes were used to Anaxi by now, anyway; it’d been a hell of a Loshis for Dejai Point, especially at the start. After a particularly grueling meeting back in the second week, he’d heard Owo’dziziq mutter something about the Season of the Fork under his breath.

“There’s no need to order, unless it’s something special,” he said, smiling again. “They’ll bring a little of everything, and – you’ll see.” There was a crooked tilt to his smile, and he felt a prickle of something almost like embarrassment. He wasn’t sure why Cerise’d been looking at him like he had two heads, but he suspected there were enough reasons to fill the flooding Book.

He took a sip of the water, sweet and tangy. It left a circle of damp on the bright-colored coaster; he set the glass back down carefully in the middle of it.

“Where was I – uh…” He squinted down at the beads of water on the glass, tapping his fingertips on the table-top again.

He wasn’t sure why he’d continued; he wasn’t sure why he thought she actually wanted him to, only – “I just feel like there’s a story that wasn’t told,” he finished, quietly. “Elizabeth’s, maybe, or Mircalla’s. You said you wrote an essay about that, I think, or something like it.”

He managed to look back up at her. He didn’t look at the holes, for all he felt a pang he couldn’t place at the way she’d fussed with the sleeve. He met her eye, studying her face in the soft lamplight.

It was another reminder, he knew; there was no avoiding them. He wondered if Anatole had ever read it, if it was tucked into a drawer somewhere, if he’d ever stumbled across it in the study without knowing. But she’d offered up the mention of it in her letter, knowing he wouldn’t remember it, and he watched her curiously.
Cerise Vauquelin

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Oti’úqaq , Dejai Point
The caprise, when it came, was awfully bold. Had he not addressed Sish first, Cerise thought she might have been more irritated with the presumption. As it was, her return had a heavy sort of edge to it--like a clasped hand that was a bit too firm for comfort, but not enough that one might have felt justified in speaking up.

"You are too kind," Cerise said then with a smile that did not look terribly more friendly than her frown. She rather thought their server might be flirting with her, which was very strange on multiple levels. The primary level was, of course, sitting across from her and stirring syrup into his water. That was almost more irritating than the depth of the caprise, although she couldn't quite have articulated why. None of this mattered, really--but it was annoying to have a witness.

Cerise made a face at his answer. "For sweetening," she repeated. Oh, well then, that explained everything. How very helpful. She attempted to divide her attention very briefly as their rather forward server moved away, somehow undeterred. Then she resumed staring at her father. He just put a wedge of lime in and then stirred it all together.

The team had gone out, of course, as a group. But her teammates were not terribly adventurous, and Isu'fo had been claimed by family anyway so they were all of them rather on their own. The first night in Mugroba, Cerise had slept instead of going with them; the last two, they had gone to the same place, one which catered very heavily to Anaxi visitors. She supposed many were, now, used to it.

"Hmm," was all she said to this strange-to-her system. Also strange, continually strange, was the smiling. She frowned again, or deepened the one she had, but shrugged. "I suppose I will see, yes." Eying the pot somewhat suspiciously, she decided that for lack of a better idea she would follow what little lead she had been given.

While she did so, the subject arced back around to Mircalla. As if this were all he could discuss with her, faced with the reality of her presence. Well, that was fine. She didn't really have a better idea, anyway, and she was interested in the end of the thought that had been interrupted. It just stuck with her, another pricking of her thumb.

"I did say that," she agreed. Her eyebrows came up, and she frowned again at the limes. She wasn't really sure how much of anything was usual, so erred on the side of what was likely far too much lime and very little syrup at all. That, she thought, would do just fine. She did like sour things much more than sweet.

He wouldn't have read it; she was surprised he even remembered that she had written about it. Or had he? No. Even if he had, she reminded herself, he wouldn't know. There was no memory of her at all; why would there be one of something as inconsequential as this paper? For all that they had been discussing the book itself; she didn't think they would be, had he read it and been able to recall.

"Something like it--it was a rather long essay. And meandering, I have to admit. I would have marked myself off points for that, if nothing else." Cerise shrugged and grinned, unashamed of the flaws in the paper. "But yes--part of it was about choices. Or rather, the... the lack thereof. For all that the story is about Elizabeth, she doesn't get to choose very much. Choices, and the sacrifices of love... Er," Cerise paused. That sounded terribly sentimental. The more she thought on this paper, the less she liked it. "I'm certain I brought it around to Anaxi female political agency somewhere in there, as well. I can't quite recall."

Cerise pushed her paper coaster about, trying to scoot the cup with it. It crumpled instead, buckling against the weight of the water and glass on top of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Thul'Amat”

• Information