[Closed] This Man in My Skin

Open for Play
The center of magical and secular learning in the Kingdom of Mugroba, Thul'Amat originated in the sandstone of an ancient temple and has now spread to include an entire neighbourhood of its own.

Aremu Ediwo
Topics: 24
Race: Passive
: A pirate full of corpses
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:19 pm

Afternoon, 29 Loshis, 2720
Walk of Tsed'tsa, Thul'Amat
Aremu climbed down from the cableway at Dejai, his left hand swinging loose and his right wrist tucked in to his pocket. The dark gray skies overhead opened up, and there was a burst of noise from the platform, a mix of cheerful grumbles and irritated groans as a sheet of water swept through the crowd.

There were students laughing and shrieking as they hurried notebooks back beneath covered awnings, those few who had dared to try and shift outside in the brief period of sun now struggling to keep themselves and their work dry. Aremu made his way to the edge of the street, where those who still moved shared the narrow strips at the edge of the road, half-covered by awnings and trees and other such shelter.

By the time he reached Tsed’tsa, the rain had shuddered off again; the sun shone through the gaps in the clouds, gleaming in puddles. One bookseller and then the next opened his doors once more, and students poured out from cramped close quarters in cafes and beneath trees as the sun steamed the damp ground drier in preparation for the next storm.

Aremu wore brown, dark enough not to turn transparent with the damp, and light enough that he, too, seemed to steam dry in the sun; his amel’iwe was a rich bright purple, laced through with a lighter tan, and he wore it draped over his shoulders, one fold just shifted to hide the slant of his left arm.

It was not, Aremu thought wryly, his first trip to Thul’Amat since graduation; it was not his first trip since losing his hand, or since Uzoji’s death, or even since arriving in Thul Ka. In fact, he had spent half of the last week in Dzit’ereq, enmeshed in the preparations for the presentation he would be making at the Exhibition. There was no reason to be nervous; this was his place, even with all its familiar strangeness, and he should have been sure of the ground beneath his feet.

He had dreamt, Aremu remembered, the night before, of a different sort of nightmare. There had been no blood or violence, no drowning or death, no reflections in the water of dead men, no sparking hot engine and no sharp knife edge. This was an old nightmare, one that had once been a dream, and he would rather not have remembered it, in the end, although he knew such things could not be put aside. Those pains faded, after all; it had been many years since he had last dreamed so, and he had thought he had put it behind him.

He had thought, Aremu went on to himself, that he had put all the aches of this place behind him. Hadn’t he accumulated other aches, since? How could the man he was now – the airship pirate, the Bad Brother, the plantation manager – be reduced back to an anxious student by virtue of standing in the midst of Tsed’tsa, and waiting for a man he loved?

Aremu glanced up at the sky; the last of the sunlight had gone, the clouds thickening into place once more. There was a distant crack of thunder, though no storm this time, not here; rain began to trickle down, misting damp through the air. Cupboards closed all the same, though no students ran for shelter this time, and the ball and balances games which had begun went on, boys laughing at those who slipped and fell as the ground turned slick.

One bookseller took out a large, dramatic umbrella and snapped it open; an inquiring student came over, and beneath the shelter of it he threw open the cupboard doors, the two of them looking intently at rows of books through the damp.

Aremu didn’t move either; he didn’t retreat further beneath the trees. He was where he had told Tom to find him in the politely exchanged letters, all sir and ada’xa, in which they had arranged for this tour of Dzit’ereq; he was just beneath the edge of the branches of the only tsug tree which grew along the walk. There, he waited; there, he told himself not to fear.

Tags:
Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Walk of Tsed'tsa Thul'amat
Afternoon on the 29th of Loshis, 2720
I
’ll be gormed, not again! I see why the Mugs call it the flood season.” They took cover under the portico, where the broad green whorls of hanging plants shivered in the mist. A black curl of Jean-Yves’ hair was already frizzing, half-sticking to his forehead. He was making a little dimple-cheeked frown, unbuttoning his umbrella and shaking out the oiled black silk, cane ribs clacking. “It’s simply – why, I’ve… My good man, what are you doing?”

He’d started to inch from under the portico, out into the narrow Dejai street. His pale green umbrella was still tucked into the crook of his arm. Frowning, he eased back behind the plants. “I don’t, ah,” he said, then frowned, taking his watch out of his trouser pockets.

“You don’t what, Anatole?”

He murmured, “I don’t mind the rain,” squinting down at the damp glass, his brows furrowing deeper.

Jean-Yves Quinault was an assemblyman of maybe forty years, a little taller than Anatole. He was evidently a distant cousin on Anatole’s father’s side of the family, and the old incumbent’d done a great deal for his career. He’d a handsome, Bastian cast of features, with large dark eyes and expressive brows, and a shadow of stubble he could never seem to get rid of across his delicately-cleft chin. It’d served him well enough, or so the rumors went, though the truth of them was anybody’s guess.

He seemed clueless of them; he seemed clueless of nearly everything.

“Piffle,” he muttered in his soft, airy voice. He was struggling to get the umbrella open. “Here, please, allow me,” he said helpfully, once he had. He reached for his umbrella, and took it before he could say a damn word.

“Jean, I should really –”

“There you are.” The galdor passed him his open umbrella with a bright, equally dimpled smile. “Now, where on Vita were we, Anatole? How’s Diana?”

“She, ah…”

It’d been like this since the cable cars, where Jean’d caught him on the platform in the storm. He’d seen the assemblyman once at the opening ceremony, and they’d both been dressed in robes of office; Jean had laughed – and laughed – to see him swaddled in his damp, rich green amel’iwe, and his white tunic and trousers. Jean was wearing a lighter suit, Mugrobi in make but Anaxi in style, his neckcloth a burst of robin’s-egg blue.

He himself had come early from Aratra, where he’d been finishing up a morning meeting. He’d thought, in case he lost his way – but he felt the wind leaping and dancing underneath his heart, and he knew he’d just been giving himself more time.

They were near enough to Tsed’tsa the narrow street was busy. There was a mant manna laughter and chatter, as if some current was carried along the mist, as if the air was charged. There’d been only the distant rumble of thunder, once or twice, like a deep-buried hama koketa; all the same, the feeling of stirring – like ripples of foam on the Tincta – only wound him up. He’d been wound up tighter than an eight day clock all morning.

“... where, ah – where are you bound, Jean?” He fit a pleasant, good-natured smile on his face.

“Would you believe it, this is my first time out in the city proper!” Jean-Yves laughed, grinning with straight white teeth. There were the faintest warm lines round his eyes when he smiled.

At the first glimpse of Tsed’tsa, his heart leapt and turned over, and his stomach lurched. Grey light glanced off puddles; broad umbrellas bobbed, open, near the carts, though many of the cupboards were closed. The crowd was no sparser than he’d expected, with bochi giggling and slipping against the slick walk. He skimmed the colonnade, squinting against the damp misty air, looking for the tsug tree. He was gripped with the strange, awful feeling that he’d miss Aremu, that he’d already missed him, that he’d…

“What are you looking for, Anatole? Ah!”

His heart tightened at the sight. “Please, ah, Jean, I’ve arranged –” He peered over a shoulder on the tips of his toes, then bobbed quicker round a group of student-aged arati lasses, their faces upturned to the rain. “It was good seeing you,” he tossed over his shoulder.

The shadows were thick underneath the tsug tree, but he stood at the edge in rich brown, coils of vivid purple over his shoulders. When he came to the edge of the crowd – when he came within sight of him, when he met his eye – he smiled.

“Ada’xa –”

“Piffle!” Jean’s bright, lively perceptive field was at the edge of his again; he blinked and half-turned, though it was too late. The assemblyman stopped short at the sight of Aremu, a vacant sort of smile dawning across his handsome face. “Ah,” he said, and came a little closer; and his smile faltered more. “Ah,” he said, “I, ah – ada’xa…”

“Ada’xa Aremu,” he said quietly, coming under the shade of the tsug tree; he could smell it even here, mingling with the wet stone and mud. He bowed very deeply.

Jean looked vaguely surprised for a moment, when he came in range of Aremu, but then he followed suit. “A-ada’xa,” he said, blinking his eyes and peering at Aremu from underneath his umbrella. “I, ah – I’m terribly sorry, Anatole, I didn’t realize I was – intruding on – business...?”

“Ah –” He shook himself. “Forgive me. Ada’xa Aremu, this is – Mr. Jean-Yves Quinault, a friend of mine. Jean, this is ada’xa Aremu Ediwo, my friend and business associate.”

“I, ah – oh, it’s very pleasant to meet you, ada’xa,” Jean said, a little uncertain. “I do hope I’m not intruding. I came across Anatole on the platform, you see, and – well – here I am.” He tried another winsome, dimpled smile.
Aremu Ediwo

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Walk of Tsed'tsa, Thul'Amat
Aremu waited in the drizzle of rain, all the noise of the walk bustling around him.

“... as long as it’s not Ared’ur!” Aremu heard the tinkling laugh, and the field that brushed past him at the edges was no surprise, its owner tall and slender, her midriff bare.

“I’ve tried to tell jara that it isn’t like it was in his day when just anyone could get in to Ire’dzosat,” the smaller girl walking beside her said, her arms full of books and her preparatory school uniform damp. “Was it a relief when the exam was over?”

There was a whoop of laughter from off to the side, and a scramble of boys; the ball rolled past the two girls, scattering water in its path, and they both pulled back and shrieked. The boy who ducked past them was smirking; his feet kicked up even more of the damp.

Aremu looked away, back towards the entrance to the plaza. There were a scattering of foreigners, more than there had been in his day; he had had a Hoxian classmate at Dzit’ereq, who had never been cruel but never sat near him either. He, Aremu thought grimly, had been the best of the foreigners.

Not for the first time he thought he should have refused. He could not regret coming to Thul Ka - the precious time with Tom alone was enough - but he found that as the exhibition crept closer, he liked the idea of it less and less. Find someone else, he wanted to say, to be your good imbala.

There were two students helping him in the demonstration, a third year and a fifth year. They had asked him what it was like, after; he had given them nothing, and he had seen the disappointment on their faces. He knew it cost him nothing to lie, and yet he had been unable to bear it, and the truth to him had seemed even harder.

He saw him, a gleam of red hair beneath a green umbrella, white cloth clothing and a darker green amel’iwe. Aremu shifted his weight; he saw the moment when Tom saw him, and the flicker of a smile on the other man’s face. Like a secret, Aremu thought, for him alone; something about it wrenched inside him.

He carved a liar’s smile onto his face, smooth and friendly, and if there was a hint of warmth in his eyes, he did his best to douse it.

“Sir,” Aremu began, and despite himself the smile caught at the corner of his lips, the mask nearly cracking across.

Piffle, he heard.

“Good afternoon, Incumbent,” Aremu bowed deeply as the other man - the other men - mixed into the shade of the tsug. A second field washed over him; a wide-eyed face beneath a dark umbrella peered at him, eyes widening the moment he was close enough to know. Aremu knew the distance, every inch of it; he knew it even without the brush of the other man’s field to guide him.

“It is said that rain brings good fortune,” Aremu answered, bowing deeply to the second man and rising up, his smile smooth and even. Both hands were behind his back, the left holding the right wrist out of sight, and the motion had edged him just backwards, just out of field range. “Well-met, Mr. Quinault.”

Bitter, bone deep disappointment was all he could taste; he could not even think how to ask Tom with his eyes what he wished him to do. Deference seemed to him easiest and best; he turned his gaze back to Tom, fixing Incumbent Vauquelin in his mind, and smiled his neutral smile. I didn’t imagine rain when we saw Thul’Amat together, he wanted to say, but it’s beautiful in it; all the plants soak up the moisture, and there’s a brightness to them that’s beautiful.

“I hope the weather does not inconvenience you, sir,” Aremu said, instead, lifting his gaze to the two umbrellas, and then looking back to Tom.

Tom Cooke

Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:57 am

W
ell met, Aremu said.

The end of sir had caught something at the edges of his mouth, he’d thought; there had been a spark in his eyes. Now it was a smooth, polite smile, shadows deep in the shade of the tsug, one he did his best not to study and search. He wondered if Aremu had seen him for a second – even just a second – or if he’d imagined it. He resisted the urge to reach up and run a hand over Anatole’s face, to feel out the contours of the pleasant smile he’d pressed onto it, to search for a hairline crack at the chin. He felt an awful ache.

There was nothing to it; he shook it off. He’d a whisper of an impression, of Aremu warm against him in the hotel room, of a quiet promise of what this was worth, but he couldn’t let his mind linger on it. Not here.

Jean was still there, his large dark eyes studying Aremu. That tiny frown was dimpling his cheeks again, but his face twitched into an uncertain smile when Aremu spoke of fortune. “Is that so? I say. Well, I – I suppose it has today, ada’xa Ediwo,” he offered cheerfully.

When he met Aremu’s eyes, his expression didn’t change. He watched them move up, flick from one umbrella to the other. He watched them move back down, catch his eye again.

His smile didn’t falter, though he tilted his umbrella to look up himself. The twisting branches were thick with whorls of glossy leaves; they were deep, vivid green, heavy and trembling with the mist. He took a deep breath again, inhaling the scent, and turned his polite smile back on Aremu. “Not at all, ada’xa,” he said, “I quite like walking in the rain.”

I know the rain brings good fortune, he ached to say, because it’s brought me the fortune of seeing you.

“The madman almost put his umbrella away on the walk over,” laughed Jean, shaking his head. “Or – er –” Jean broke off, looking at Aremu as if he’d just realized. When he glanced over, the younger galdor was smiling, but there was something watchful in his eyes; he couldn’t seem to decide whether he wanted to look at Aremu or away.

Aremu’s hands were still clasped behind his back. He thought of muscles tight along leather lines, and he felt a pang. His head was a whirl. This wasn’t – he felt a bitter twist of anger in his stomach, but he did well to keep it from his face and his field.

“Well, Jean,” he said brightly, starting to turn. “We’re on our way to Dzit’ereq; ada’xa Aremu has offered –”

Jean’s dark eyes widened slightly. “Why, I’ve yet to see Dzit’ereq; I have been simply dying to see the, ah – that newfangled, how do you call it – eyo’dzapo prototype, or what have you.” He ran a hand along his stubbled jaw, another uncertain smile springing to his face. He hesitated. “Oh, I – how rude of me. Ada’xa, Anatole is my dear cousin, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind… I’ve known him since I was a young man – he was a bit younger himself, then, wasn’t he?”

Jean laughed. He inclined his head, feeling a prickle at the back of his neck.

“But, ah, he’s been a great mentor to me, and, ah. What I mean to say is that any friend of his is a friend of mine,” Jean offered, looking again curiously at Aremu. “Perhaps… Would you mind, ada’xa, if I accompanied the two of you? As far as Dzit’ereq, I mean. Ah, piffle and Alioe bless, no further, I mean; I wouldn’t wish to intrude on any business.”

The words on the tip of his tongue had evaporated. If he said them now, he thought – it would look damned suspicious. And he, he thought bitterly, had already been spoken for.
Aremu Ediwo

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Pathways to Dzit'ereq, Thul'Amat
My dear cousin, Jean said, smiling. I’ve known him since I was young.

A prickle of something – uneasy – ran through Aremu. He couldn’t place whether it was the truth or a lie. You’ve known Anatole, he wanted to say; but this – but this…

Had it been a lie, when Aremu bowed and said good afternoon to the Incumbent? He didn’t know; he didn’t know. It doesn’t feel like my name, Tom had said once, last Dentis. Politicians travel, he had said more recently; I and he. Incumbent – perhaps, Aremu thought, that was not a lie. Was it a title of the body or the man? Tom had inherited it, with those thin freckled hands dusted with pale red hair, with those large gray eyes, with the sharp face and the lines which echoed the mouth and around the eyes.

And the name?

Aremu was out of range, still, of the two fields, Tom’s sage-soft clairvoyant and Jean’s more slippery perceptive field, stronger but not so strong.

He felt the sinking in his heart when Jean’s eyes widened, when he smiled, one hand rubbing over his stubbled jaw. A great mentor, Jean said; Aremu felt the same prickle, as if the patterns between his smooth carved mask were shifting, unseen to him. Would you mind, ada’xa…?

Aremu bowed, deeply, knowing he had no choice. This time, when he rose, his right wrist was securely tucked into his pocket once more. “As it is acceptable to the Incumbent, so it is to me,” he said, smiling.

Just lie, Aremu told himself. What are you playing at, you fool? You know what you are; you know what you lack. Tom’s gray eyes were on him, an even thin smile on his sharp-featured face. Walking the narrow line of truth, knowing what he did, was risky; it was a risk for himself and Tom both, and he knew better. He had no honor to stake on half-truths, no reason to hew the line of honesty; he knew, achingly, painfully, that he could not even know honesty when it was before him, when he tried to taste it on his tongue. And yet he had tried, all the same.

There was a murmur of conversation, an uncertain smile and a laugh of 'piffle.'

“This way, please,” Aremu said; he didn’t quite bow again, but he made a polite suggestion of it with his shoulders and head and the drape of his amel’iwe, shifting to walk just ahead of the two Anaxi with his left side just barely to them. The rain was a light mist, dusting his head and dotting the fabric of his clothing.

Off to the side, the boys who’d been playing glanced over at the two Anaxi, then dove back into their game, unperturbed. Two approaching imbali eased off to the side, curious gazes flicking more over Aremu than Tom or Jean.

“Are you a professor at Dzit’ereq, ada’xa?” Jean asked from behind him.

“Only a graduate, Mr. Quinault,” Aremu said with a polite smile. There are no imbala professors at Dzit’ereq, he might have said, but – past the taut ache of this man’s presence, past the sharpness of his hurt at leading him through the arch at the end of the walk and onto the edge of campus, he found himself at least – at least! – relieved that the question had not been worse.

The breeze whisked the rain over them; a few heavier droplets splashed against Aremu’s clothing, and then lightened, again, now barely even a damp misting.

The first courtyard beyond the arch was busy; students were sprawled out on the benches beneath the trees, heedless of the damp and the rain. Books were closed, at least, and girls and boys crouched on roots chatted in low, soft, laughing voices, which echoed beneath the stream of the rain. Students went past them in all direction, arati mostly and a sprinkling of imbali, some heading deeper into campus and others back out of it, crossing through all the paths of Thul’Amat in a dizzying array.

Aremu adjusted his wrist against his pocket, and turned himself towards the familiar path to Dzit’ereq, the one he had walked almost daily for five years; he felt like a stranger to it now.

Tom Cooke

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:38 pm

I
t wasn’t that he’d expected Aremu to lie, though he’d known there’d been few options. The sadness crept through him now at Aremu's careful words. He’d stood and met his eye, because he wouldn’t look away, at least. I’m here, he wanted to say, it’s me, it’s – whatever happens, he wanted to say, it’s us; this is nothing. It was three men standing under the branches of a tsug tree, all three of them smiling, and it hurt like it was everything.

He twisted the wire of his spine upright, smoothed the felt of his face; he let none of it show, as ever. The Incumbent inclined his head and smiled when Aremu led the way, and the strings that jaunted him along were so deftly-handled, he hardly knew if they were his.

He caught the eye of a couple of approaching imbali, though they were looking at Aremu. He swallowed tightly – painfully – when Jean finished asking his question; he drew in a deep breath through Aremu’s words. He drove the ache out of himself by the time he looked over at the other man. He could see a quarter of his face, walking beside and a little behind him; he was smiling still, too. Moisture like dew glittered in his soft short hair and along the folds of his amel’iwe, sparking off the purple.

The perceptive mona mingling with his field were perky and curious. Jean was looking about him at the deep greenery, ducking and poking his head half out from underneath the umbrella to see; all their faces were misted with rain, and it was only a soft hiss against the umbrellas.

“I see,” murmured Jean, a small frown pouting his lips. He seemed to hesitate, his dark eyes flicking over Aremu’s back. They moved down once, to the soft bulge of his pocket. There was a single small line between his dark brows. He glanced away quickly, toward him, then – he had never stopped smiling – and then back to the set of Aremu’s shoulders underneath his amel’iwe, still looking puzzled.

They took a path he didn’t recognize, off the opposite direction from the path to Ire’dzosat. He’d walked that path just yesterday, into the greenery of Ur’dzuxas; remembering it felt strange, just now.

I thought, he’d wanted to say, I thought we could go find a quiet place in Idisúfi afterward, one of the study rooms you can reserve. Visiting officials and alumni are both privileged, right now. Or –

His satchel was hanging at his hip, a little heavier than it’d been yesterday. He’d gone to Penlu early for it; it hadn’t been the vendor in Windward, but he’d picked the brightest, heaviest one ada’xa Dzarus had had to offer, smiling at the thought. He felt like a damned fool.

Jean-Yves was walking between them. The path narrowed between two low walls, and they slid in single-file to move around an arata coming in the opposite direction – an old, bespectacled man in crisp white with a fizz of a static field, who lifted an eyebrow at Aremu. Jean fumbled with his umbrella at first before muttering, “I’ll be gormed,” and closing it up; he closed his gratefully, tucking it under his arm and tilting his head up to feel the last droplets of mist on his face.

They passed into a wider courtyard. Over one wall, covered and glassed in on a large pedestal, was a piece of machinery he couldn’t’ve placed. The plaque caught the light as they passed, in Mugrobi and Estuan: The fruit of of Dzit’ereq and Ared’ur’s Úsowu, the traction engine was…

Is it different, this kind of engineering? he wanted to ask, his heart aching in his chest. He almost did; he weighed it, and weighed it again. I saw those books on your shelf in the library, he wanted to say. What are you working on…

“Are you, ah – are you an engineer, then, ada’xa?” They spread back out onto the wider path, and Jean-Yves smiled pleasantly at Aremu. “I’ve never met – I mean, ah – my apologies.” He cleared his throat. “I’ve never met a Dzit’ereq graduate,” he went on. “I’ve heard there’s truly fascinating stuff coming out of Dzit’ereq right now.”
Aremu Ediwo

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:14 pm

The First Courtyard, Dzit'ereq
There were many ways to Dzit’ereq; there were many ways, it was said, through all of Thul’Amat. Without thinking Aremu took the one which he knew best, which – when he had thought of this day – he had thought of taking with Tom, where the path narrowed between two low sandstone walls, with greenery stacked up on either side, where, for a moment, all the rest of Thul’Amat faded away, and there was only the path and the trees which lined it.

He could say none of it, with the three of them walking single-file along the path, around the puddles with lined the sandstone walkway.

“This is the first courtyard of Dzit’ereq,” Aremu said with a polite half-bow as they came out of the walkway, stretching out his left hand. There was the traction engine on the lefthand side, and a scattering of other projects on the right; his favorite, Aremu thought with a glance, always, had been the fragment of the first gasbag built by Dzit’ereq engineers, part of an experimental airship called the Edú’tsúrus, and a prototype piece of its engine.

Aremu smiled politely at Jean. “By training, yes,” Aremu said, with an inclining of his head. “Much of my work has been as an airship engineer for a private semi-rigid. These days I am more involved with kofi and its production at the Ibutatu Plantation in the Muluku Islands; Incumbent Vauquelin has been a great supporter of our endeavors.”

Help me, damn it, Aremu thought; he turned and smiled politely at Tom, none of what he felt flickering up to his eyes. He felt as if he were walking along the edge of the ocean, his feet slick on the sand, feeling each step with his toes and not knowing until he brought his weight down whether the sand would open up – whether at the next, the sea would drop sharply off, and he’d drop deep into the water.

“I thought perhaps you would enjoy seeing the plaques, Incumbent, sir,” Aremu said, politely, inclining his head. “This is one of the first traction engines developed by Dzit’ereq.” He gestured towards the nearby plaque. “On the other side of the courtyard, there are pieces from other historical undertakings, including the Edú’tsúrus airship, built in the early 2600s. There are, as well, pieces of the cableways and of the city’s pipeworks available here.”

“The eyo’dzapo prototype, sir,” Aremu said, turning to Jean with a slight incline of his head, “is the third courtyard, which is an interior one, so that it can be uncovered.”

I always liked the history of Edú’tsúrus, Aremu wanted to say. Uzoji and I would come and look at it, as boys, before Preparatory school and after. It ended it fire and flames; it crashed over the desert. That’s why the engine is a prototype, and there’s a burnt edge to the gasbag. Perhaps he would have, if not for Jean.

We always knew, he knew he wouldn’t have said, the risks. Even just flying an airship has them, even one which is not experimental; everyone learns it. Enough hours in the air, and there are risks. A good mechanic – a good engineer – can –

Aremu led the two of them over towards the other side. He lingered a moment at Edú’tsúrus, a gleam of the dark reflection of his face against the glass; he remembered when he had stood on his tiptoes to peer into it, both of them giggling and staring up excitedly. He remembered, too, standing before the case years later, hands clenched into fists inside his pockets, alone.

Now, he was smiling; when he’d turned to face them, he shifted his arms, carefully, so his right wrist and left hand were behind his back. His left hand closed around his right wrist, and he turned to look at Tom, once more, holding his gaze for a moment, then to Jean, then back up to the gasbag.

Tom Cooke

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 am

The First Courtyard Dzit'ereq
O
h, splendid, just splendid! I didn’t know you had an interest in kofi, Anatole.” Jean-Yves’ voice and his field were singing-bright as they wandered along the plaques; he wondered if the assemblyman ever let it slip, whatever it was he wore.

“It’s, ah –” He’d set aside the whole day, just so he could give Aremu all he had; he was disappointed – bitterly – to find himself already tired. “Actually, our correspondence started,” he said carefully, “after I spent some time in the isles on political business; I had the privilege of trying Ibutatu kofi, and observing ada’xa Aremu’s innovation.”

“I don’t believe I’ve had it,” said Jean-Yves.

“We can certainly arrange to procure…”

They passed the second traction engine, the rain only a fine mist that shivered in the leaves, now. He saw it from afar, though he didn’t guess what it was until they came to it.

He saw Aremu’s reflection first in the glass, slim and dark, even his amel’iwe drained of color against the grey. He was looking up at the heart and lungs of Edú’tsúrus.

In the glass, ada’xa Aremu was smiling, friendly and helpful and polite. Incumbent Vauquelin’s phantom joined him, and then the blurry shape of Jean-Yves Quinault behind. He stepped up closer to the glass when Aremu eased away, looking past the thin, polite smile that was still carved into his face, looking up at what was left of the old airship.

He looked at the engine’s remains a long moment. The thought of another engine flashed through his mind, spinning, shedding heat madly and panting like a beast. He drew in a deep breath. One little crease worked its way into his smile like a spanner, then smoothed out; he stepped closer to the glass, getting lost in the tangles of metal, the pistons and rods and strange wheels.

Does it make sense to you, even this one, when you look at it? he wanted to ask. Did you study it? What would you say of it, to me?

His eyes wandered back up to the gas bag, tracing one of the dark creases where the leather was badly-burnt. Did it last long, the prototype? he wanted to ask. What became of it? He breathed in, half-expecting to smell grease and heat; it was only the smell of wet sandstone and greenery.

“Ah, me,” said Jean-Yves.

He turned; his hands clasped together, settling neatly into the small of his back. “Fascinating, isn’t it?” It wasn’t what he meant to say; it wasn’t what he wanted to. He breathed through the clench in his stomach and kept smiling. “I should like to take my time here, but Jean, I wouldn’t wish to keep you from the eyo’dzapo prototype.”

“No, no! Not in the least!” Jean’s little dimpled smile was back on his face, and a spark of light in his eyes. “Ah, me, ah – how terribly romantic. A…” He looked at Aremu. “Ship’s engineer for a – a private aeroship, you say? Oh, you must have quite the stories to tell, for such a young man.”

Jean froze. He was looking at Aremu, another slight frown on his face, as if he were puzzling through something.

“Jean, I’m certain –“

“Oh, don’t trouble yourself, cousin. But it must have been quite difficult, too, mustn’t it? Why, that sort of work, a man of your,” Jean swallowed, hesitating. “Of your dedication. I mean to say, you must have Dzit’ereq’s great respect. At least, I have heard of the progress in…”

He felt his fingers curling in, white-knuckled. He breathed in and out, and he didn’t let his face slip.

Jean paused. “My daughter, Alexandre – she’s in her sixth year at Brunnhold – she’s quite fascinated with aero-ships, you see. She’s spoken non-stop of Dzit’ereq since the beginning of the Cycle. It’s been somewhat of an uphill battle; even we tried to talk her out of…” He shook his head, turning to look back up at it. “Is it, ah, is it quite dangerous?” he asked quietly.
Aremu Ediwo

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:01 pm

The First Courtyard, Dzit'ereq
Aremu’s gaze held evenly on Jean’s face; no smile quirked at the edges of his lips. Of my dedication, he thought to say, evenly. Of course, sir. Yes, that is, naturally, what you meant: that it must be quite difficult for a student of Dzit’ereq to work on airships, but fascinating.

The thin liar’s smile on Aremu’s face held. Yes, he wanted to say, suddenly. Yes, it was hard. No, no airship yard in Thul Ka wanted to hire me. I searched in every moment of spare time I had for the month before graduation; I went to a dozen shipyards. The arati and duri who ran them smiled, and thanked me for me time, and believed not a word that I spoke.

It was easier after graduation. I spent two days in line at the office to get my certificate, and I carried it with me every where I went, and held it out before I said a word: Aremu Ediwo, graduate of Dzit’ereq. Perhaps they still did not believe; can a liar not steal, or make a lie of his name?

I brought testimonials, written and signed by the galdori instructors who chose to vouch for me. I begged for a chance, sir, to show what I could do on any engine, any project, any problem, for free, in the days after graduation when I ate one meal a day, because I did not know how long the little coin I had saved from my student days would stretch.

When I had a captain who trusted me – his heart clenched at the memory of it – there were duri who refused our ship for my presence. Oh yes, sir, very fascinating; Uzoji never broked such talk, but it was there beneath the surface – even my best friend, sir, I can never know if –

This was all of it in the shadows of his mind, stirring in the corners of it, tickling the back of his tongue and tingling along the line of his jaw. It was the carvings beneath the mask, shifting unseen under the surface, smooth wood lined over them. Once it began to crumble, Aremu thought, there was little hope for all the rest.

Jean went on. Aremu’s eyes widened, a hair; he shifted. He followed Jean’s gaze up to the airship, looking again at the burnt edge of the gas bag. He thought of it, suddenly, of men searching in the desert for any hint of the ship. Three arati, the plaque read, died in the fiery crash which put an end to Dzit’ereq’s first attempt, but not its dreams of –

“It is, sir,” Aremu said, quietly. His hands shifted; he clasped them in front of himself, his left hand loose around his right wrist, the neat prosthetic brushed with damp rain. The straps and all of the halter disappeared beneath the long brown fabric, invisible; the wood was caved to look like his hand, to the shape of it, almost an exact match in color, but it gleamed, stiff and still, and the rain almost glittered against the surface.

Aremu looked at Jean; he inclined his head, lightly. This is truth, he wanted to say; he knew he could not. Take it or leave it, sir, he wished to say; Aremu exhaled again, and shook his head lightly. “No one could have stopped me, sir,” he said, after a moment, a wry smile quirking at the edge of his lips. “The larger rigid airships are safer, sir; passenger ships have an excellent safety record these days. Pilots and engineers of such work hard, and may have many stories of their own, but the danger is not greater than that of illness or a carriage crash.”

He found the rest of the words had drifted away; he had lost the burning anger of them. That was always the way, Aremu thought, slowly; he could never hold it. He had never understood those who could. I am a liar, he wanted to say, sometimes; how can I be angry that a man thinks me so?

Tom Cooke

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:17 pm

The First Courtyard Dzit'ereq
H
is eyes went down when Jean’s did, and he looked. He looked – proper – for the first time since the mangroves, he looked and saw.

The expression on his own face didn’t change; in the corner of his eye, he saw Jean’s eyes widen. He’d seen the confusion in his face when Aremu’d spoken of airships and then kofi. He thought Jean’d guessed, by the time he’d stumbled out with his question, but he supposed, now, he hadn’t. Aremu had a way with it. If you hadn’t known him before, maybe – how he had stood, how he had held his hands – maybe it would’ve taken you a very long time indeed.

The wood was smooth and dark, almost the same color as Aremu’s skin. It was well-kept; there were no nicks in it, not like the faint pale scars and scuffs on his other hand, or like the hand that’d – been.

He hadn’t thought of it much, the hand. He’d thought more to miss the wrist and the arm and all its familiar contours and scars; that he could see, and couldn’t touch, couldn’t kiss as he’d once done. He hadn’t thought of the hand, with the nick over the middle joint of the ring finger, with the burn scar that’d been more recent last he’d seen it.

He thought of it now, looking at the hand that was: with Aremu’s fingers curled about the wrist, between the wood and the hem of his sleeve, it looked almost like it grew from his arm. He imagined stroking a stray droplet from the knuckles, until the wood was warm with the touch; he tried to push the imagining out of his head.

The smell of mud was almost like the smell of bedraggled mangrove roots. With the Edu’tsurus’ remains behind, he expected to find himself wondering what had happened. Instead, he wanted to ask about the hand; he wanted to ask who’d sat looking at the left hand long enough to carve the right. He wanted to know, aching, how it had felt to have it made, if he had come to it alone.

He looked up at Aremu’s eyes. He was looking at Jean, and it was as if something underneath the skin of his smile had shifted.

Jean was frowning, but there were no dimples in his cheeks. “That,” he said in the same quiet voice, “is precisely what my Alexandre has told me, I am terribly afraid.” He looked up at Aremu. “Less persuasively than you, ada’xa Ediwo. I believe she has been more vocal to the no one shall stop her point, and has been somewhat more reliant on slammed doors to aid her argument.”

Jean’s frown cracked. He wasn’t smiling, but he looked back down at the plaque.

He was standing still by the glass; he couldn’t peel his own thin smile away from his face. He was starting to think if he had, there’d just be another one underneath it.

Jean cleared his throat into a fist. “Thank you, ada’xa Ediwo,” he said firmly, blinking his large dark eyes. “Perhaps I shall – ah, oh, piffle. I mean to say, I shall look for Dzit’ereq at the exhibition, and I…”

There was a pause; Jean cleared his throat again, glancing from Aremu to him.

“I-In any case. The third courtyard, you say? I believe I can find my way. I am terribly grateful, sir. It was quite a pleasure to see you, Anatole; and I shall look forward to sampling this Ibutatu kofi.” He raised his dark brows, smiling. “Er – sana, er – ma’ralio, as you say it.” With a cursory bow and a motion of his umbrella, he trotted off down the path. There was a whoosh and snap of his umbrella opening, after a moment.

The rain picked up, pattering against the canvas. He felt it tapping at his shoulders, finding his hair and the folds of his amel’iwe.

He couldn’t know what was on his face; despite the sparseness of the courtyard, it felt no different than it had before Jean left. I’m sorry, he wanted to say. He looked at Aremu, then took a deep breath and looked up again through the glass, past the two ghosts.

“It’s the night hawk, isn’t it?” he asked quietly. “Edú’tsúrus.”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Thul'Amat”

• Information