[Memory] Spreading the Good Word

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Jobe Linger
Topics: 8
Race: Human
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Good Guy
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Undisclosed basement •Central Anaxas/Vienda
on the 21th of Loshis, 2716 • noontime... maybe?
Shit.

The strange woman and her compatriots led him along, their hands jostling and pushing and pulling. He wearing a blindfold, with no idea where he was being led. He may as well have been their prisoner. Formalities and circumstances aside, who’s to say he wasn’t?

Spreading those pamphlets sounded like a good way to get rid of people. His once sometimes-boss seemed to think so, emphatic about his reasons for letting Jobe do the deed. What could go wrong?. Job did have to concede on a few points. Discrediting people was more economically viable than killing them. No cleanup, no messy investigations, no family members looking for vengeance. Let the Seventen do the eliminating, and take the heat. And for a time it seemed very unlikely that complications would arise.

So much for that idea.

The Resistance was just a collection of whispers and folk tales to Jobe before this ill-fated trip that took him blind-folded to the great wherever. just a folk myth that gave otherwise good people stupid ideas. On the surface, on grounds of pure pragmatism, had he a say in what went on in other peoples’ heads, he would’ve put the very idea of the Resistance down like the lame dog of ideas that it was.

This vestigial hope kept the least of their kind going, holding them back. Giving comfort to accused rapers and murderers, fugitives. It seemed like a perfect snake pit for corruption and unaccountability to take hold. They were just another gang to Jobe’s reckoning. The difference, and it was a key one, was that where a criminal would tell you upfront that you could give him money or he would club you, the Resistance took good will, bodies and treasure, and thanked you with promises of a unspecified brighter future someday for your children. At least that was the pitch made to honest folk. Whatever they told the killers and rapers they took in, well that could be quite another. Jobe wasn’t so starry-eyed that he’d imagine the same hopes and motivations moved all men. He’d seen enough of conflict and what passed for war to know different. Some people just wanted to loot, butcher, and harm for fun. There was no underlying motivation or ethos besides.

Jobe could hear the motions of a crowd, coming from outside but unmistakable. So he knew he was in a city. Doors slid open, he was pushed along, and then shut behind him. Wherever their safehouse was, they were no less convoluted in their navigation than the worst puzzle box. At times he doubted that even his captors knew where they were leading him.

Nevertheless, he let them lead him along without a fight. They had taken him for one of their own, spreading pamphlets several days hence in Old Rose Harbor.

It was, in truth, a simple misunderstanding.

Not unlike that which preceded every other nameless body thrown into the gutter.

A misunderstanding.

Presently, they stopped. There was still that distant sound of people milling about a street. It might’ve been day or night for all Jobe knew. Until they took off the hood, and the lantern light nearby almost blinded him. No windows. Just four corners of stone and wooden frames, a table, a few chairs, and people to sit in them.

The man at the far side, he could’ve been anyone. The cobbler from Tanner’s Row, or the fisher living out of some shanty around the Wharf. He didn’t smell much better than either possibility.

”Sit.” he said, simply, gesturing to the stool opposite him at the table.

Jobe was pushed into the stool, and for a while they merely stared at each other.
Last edited by Jobe Linger on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Jobe Linger

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Unknown Basement/Safehouse • Central Anaxas/Vienda
on the 21st of Loshis, 2716 • during Noon
It didn't take much to push an older man down into his seat. Two hands and a minimal amount of force, his old wounded knee buckled, and he sat. He couldn't make out the man behind him but kept his eyes on the one in front.

"I don't know you." Linger muttered, unblinking at this cobbler, this feckless scrap of mange. He kept his tongue between his teeth, though, as he looked at the man and waited for him to make his intentions clear.

"Good, keep it that way." He answered.

"Aright," Linger rose to his feet out of the chair, and was promptly pushed down before he could take a step in either direction.

"For ease's sake, call me Leathertongue when we're together."

Darkness furrowed on Jobe's brow as he considered the sugar-sucking dandy in front of him. He took in the measure of the man, his hands spoke to some work, but no scars on his face. No significant wounds that stood out. As much as his military experience had burned him in the end, Private Linger still held to that old pride of the Aerocorps, of having served as a defender of feckless cads like this Leathertongue. What made it worse was that he'd never received his due. And he wasn't likely to, the longer the years got.

The fact that people like this Shoeleather or whatever his name was, could pull him off the street, dust him off like a toy soldier, and then prop him up in a shitty little chair, it stank. He didn't want to be beholden to a civilian. He missed the military on a particular level. The world back home had moved on without him, by all accounts. And now he found out that the resistance was more than just a myth or agitators doling out chamberpot rags.

"Leathertongue. Why did your lady drag me 'ere?"

Leather tongue stared at Linger for a few moments, then reached into his overall pocket for a little piece of paper. Linger recognized it shortly after as one of the pamphlets that he'd been foisting on folk. Jobe's mouth twisted at the sight of the seal on the paper, a familiar mark of one of the more dodgy shops in Old Rose, one that had fallen on hard times and failed to pay its ransom to the Brothers.

Likely that was the reason for the seal.

"You were handing these out. Care to read it out for me if you can? You can read, right?"

Linger leaned forward, his eyes drawing down from the man's face to the letter he'd placed on the table. "Fucked if I kin't, Leatherbrain. Course I kin read..."

So saying, he picked up the short leaflet and began reading the text. It had some information about a riot planned for at the shop that bore its seal. Another ruse to spark the interest of the Seventen no doubt, or else drive a man to panic once 'concerned' citizens brought it to his attention, prompting him to fuck the hell off.

"What, a riot?" Linger looked up from the letter at the cobbler. "Know anything about that, rebel?"

Leathertongue rolled his eyes, "No, I was hoping you could inform me since you bore the letter."

"I didn't read 'em, just carrying out orders." He muttered and leaned back in his seat, tossing the letter toward Leathertongue.

"Hmmph." Leathertongue shrugged, and walked to the corner of the room, inspecting the wall as if it was the most exciting thing in all the world at that moment. Linger ground his teeth. He hated the theatrics that was so enjoyed by mummers like this swell.

"Way I see it, you have a couple of choices..." Leathertongue started, leaning his back against the far corner of the wall. "Join or die."
Jobe Linger

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:29 am

"Well, dyin' ain't much of choice." Incredulity was on his face as he said it. "Dyin' ain't on my itinerary."

Leathertongue looked at Jobe with a curious expression. "That's too bad. We expect you to lay your life down for your people if you join us. The fastest way to leave us, whether on good terms or bad, is in a pine box."

Jobe ground his teeth, tapping the table with his fingers as he leaned into it, considering his options. He didn't think with the pushy bastard behind him he could get away, not for a moment. Nor could he overpower them with anything useable as a weapon stripped off of him.

Leathertongue was the next to speak, "We did a pretty thorough check on you before bringing you in here. Ex-soldier never received compensation for eighteen years of service. Your war record is good, and your skills could be a credit to us."

Leathertongue placed his hands on the table, and leaned over Jobe, "But do you have the heart for it? With all you've been through, I wouldn't put it past you that you've finished your days of fighting."

Jobe chewed his tongue, glancing over toward the side, away from Leathertongue's ugly mug. From one army to another, everyone just wanted a warm body to throw for their political gain. It didn't matter what they said it was about. It was just the same old shit. Stir up the plebs and scrape for power. The Resistance was just a dead-end, a coffin factory for young people who otherwise could find gainful and meaningful work. What did it matter if their people weren't free? Were the Gallywags even free? Were the pirates plying the skies and seas free?

"We know you have a daughter." Leather tongue said, dropping the two-ton dynamite on the ex-soldier's reluctance. Well, that changed things.

"Oh?" He tried feigning ignorance, but his emotion betrayed him as they showed on his face. "When did I manage to get that done?"

A smirk crossed Leathertongue's face. He shook his head at Jobe. "Don't you want a brighter future for her? For her future children? And their children?"

Jobe shrugged, giving up the act swiftly when it appeared his attempt had fallen on keen ears. "Are yer gonner take no fer an answer? Or just gabber me till I die of old age?"

Leathertongue laughed, "Believe me, there're more efficient ways of disposing of you. If I thought for a moment you weren't Resistance material; I'd have just let the Seventen or the Bad Brothers have your hide. You're a man without friends, at the moment. Why not let us be the friend you need?"

Jobe chewed on his tongue a bit more and thought it over. He was right. There with every season and year that passed, he had fewer favors he could call in. Half his war buddies were in the service still, and most of the others were rotting in a box somewhere. He couldn't go back to the military with his injury plaguing him. The Bad Brothers, or at least a few of their number, had it out for him. The Seventen had him fingered for a pamphleteer or a pickpocket.

It was a matter of survival if he said no, it was just a matter of time before they smoked him out. He needed friends, or he'd die.

"Fine, I'll join. But yer gotter promise me. Stay away from my daughter, and don't let 'er join."

"Wouldn't dream of it." Leatherface confided. And Jobe heard the part that he didn't say. She was pretty much their collateral against him, should he think about betraying or turning coat on them.

Once all was said and done, the man slid a pistol over toward Jobe. It was a reasonably high caliber weapon. Jobe inspected it and whistled appreciatively. "Never seen one of these." He turned the shiny pistol over in his hand. It was a single-shot old flintlock, but the caliber was good enough probably to take off a limb if aimed well.

"Be sure nobody else sees it either. And hope you only need to use it on your terms."

Jobe nodded and tucked it away in his jacket. With another glance toward Leathertongue, he asked, "When do I start?

Leathertongue looked up at the brawn behind Jobe and nodded toward him. Soon enough, they were left on their own and gave Jobe his first instructions on the basic methods of the Freedom Fighters.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information