[M] Kenser Caught [Memory]

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Catriona Fraser
Topics: 8
Race: Human
Character Sheet: Catriona Fraser: The Smithy
Plot Notes: Cat's Plot Notes
Writer: GingerJSM
Writer Profile: Ginger's Writer Profile

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:27 pm

47th of Roalis, 2711
Children screamed their high pitch wails as they each chased a young boy of seven who screamed as loudly as the rest of them. The curly haired boy was fast and knew just how to zigzag to avoid his pursuers. No sooner had they begun chasing him than he was already at the designated safe tree, with a blue ribbon tied around it. He held tight to it, lest someone pull him off and say they caught him before he got there.

The rest of the children arrived, out of breath and laughing.

“He’s like a blur!”

“I didn’t even see ‘em, I was runnin’ I was but nae e’en a trace of ‘em!”

Catriona giggled at her other friends and siblings and hugged the little boy, “Naton, I don’t think you can be Kenser for a while, it’s just no sport if you’re already across the woods by the time we start running!”

The laughter continued for a few minutes but stopped abruptly at the sight of a well kept boy making his way into the woods. Hugh Feldwyn, the son of the Galdor man who owned several of the farms in Bad Aisling.

Catriona took charge quickly, “Can we help you, Sir? I was just playing with the little ones til dinner.”

Hugh was only just as tall as Catriona but at least three years older. “No no, I just...” He ran his hand through his hair. “I thought I’d come play too...I don’t get to do much on Summer break so...I could use some friends to hang out with.”

Catriona bristled at the thought. It was trouble. What if he got hurt? What if he hurt one of the little ones? But there wasn’t any way to tell him no and little Satina was already bounding up and grabbing his hand. “We can be your friends Mister! We’re playing Catch the Kenser! And it’s MY turn to be the Kenser, right Catriona? You SAID after Naton it was my turn!”

Catriona smiled politely at Hugh as he allowed himself to be pulled along by the five year old. He spoke teasingly, as if they were equals, “Yeah Catriona, come on!”

She shook her head and smiled. “Alright you guys! Satina is the Kenser! She has to make it to the red tree or she’s out! And the first one out has to go home and find out when dinner’s ready!”

The kids cheered. They knew it would be easy to catch Satina but they also knew how to let her have fun with the rest of them. As they all put their hands on the blue tree, Catriona was uncomfortably aware of how close the Galdor was standing behind her. Still she simply shifted her position and called out, “Kenser loose! 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Go!”

The kids were off. Catriona hung back for a bit, but took off as soon as she saw Hugh making a run for it. Didn’t he know to let a little kid get ahead? The rest of the kids would come just inches from catching her and conveniently lose their grip on her. Nobody actually wanted the five year old to be the one who had to walk home so she was going to make it to the red tree. Hugh looked like he was going to catch her but made eye contact with Catriona and dramatically ‘fell’ just as Satina reached the red ribboned tree. The kids cheered as the little girl jumped up and down. Hugh bounded up and lifted the girl onto his shoulders.

Satina was still celebrating as was Naton and the other younger kids but the mood had changed. The older kids, specifically Catriona 13 and Benny and Kristine, the eleven year old twins from the next farm over, were worried about her. Hugh was crossing boundaries that he definitely knew about and they could do nothing to stop him. Hugh noticed and carefully put Satina down. “Oh come on guys! I’ll tell you what. I’ll be Kenser next and I promise to be the best Kenser ever.”

Catriona gave Benny a look and tapped her fingers against her side three times. Time to pack it in. “Actually Benny, Kristine, and I have to get these kiddos home. We’re having a big get together at the farm though and you’re more than welcome to join us, Sir.”

Hugh leaned against the tree confidently. “How about Benny and Kristine take the kids and you and I walk for a bit.”

Benny gave his head a little shake but Catriona looked at all the kids who were already whining that it wasn’t even dark yet and why did they have to go home? “Sure. Let’s take a walk. I’ll catch up with you guys in a minute!”

Benny and Kristine gathered up the kids,
“Where’s your other shoe? No, stop we aren’t playing anymore! Satina put your hair ribbon back!” And as they walked away, Benny made eye contact with Catriona as he also tapped his temple three times, ‘Be careful.’

Last edited by Catriona Fraser on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tags:
Catriona Fraser

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:52 pm

47th of Roalis, 2711
As they walked, Hugh Feldwyn shoved his hand in his pockets and kicked a rock as though he were unsure of himself. Catriona watched him carefully, hugging herself as the air was becoming cooler. “We have to be home before sunset.”

Hugh nodded. “Doesn’t it feel nice to be able to get away from all the chaos?”

“Yeah, I mean, yes, Sir it does. I like the kids but the quiet is nice.”

“I like it when you call me Sir.”

Catriona’s brow furrowed. In truth she was hoping he’d say she didn’t have to do that. That they were friends and there was no need for formality. Six years ago they had played together as children. Before Cat knew the rules. Before she knew her place, they’d been friends.

“Did you have a reason for wanting to take a walk with me, Sir?” It occurred to Catriona that they were walking deeper into the woods. But they’d been sort of aimless. And it wasn’t like she hadn’t been here before. She knew these woods like the back of her hand.

Hugh nodded, “Yeah. Yeah I did. I like you Catriona.”

Catriona looked at him confusedly, “What do you mean?”

“I mean we played together before, but today you acted like I was some sort of monster.”

“Things change. My Father bade me not to play with you, said it was improper. You’re a Galdor. You’re...above me.”

High stopped and pulled her closely to him. “But you like me, right?”

Catriona did not pull away, although she could have. She’d been working on the forge for years now. She should have pulled away. “I...I would like for us to be friends.”

“Then come with me. I can talk to my Father and you can be with me all the time and we could be together.”

Catriona did pull away this time, but as she slowly backed up into a tree, Hugh Feldwyn was coming for her.

Catriona stood terrified, her back against the tree as the Galdor boy pressed his lips against hers.

“I don’t- I can’t...”

“You can’t...what?”

Catriona searched his eyes as his hands made their way downward. Her eyes grew cold as she made eye contact with him and rose up against him. “I can’t, Sir. Now please leave me alone and let me go home. And then I won’t tell Mr. Feldwyn what happened.”

Last edited by Catriona Fraser on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catriona Fraser

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:13 pm

47th of Roalis, 2711
Catriona flew through the woods, having lost most of her sense of direction. She was screaming for help, the blood of the Galdor still on her hands. It had been a minor wound, where he’d forcibly grabbed the knife from her. She could hear him running behind her, just out of reach from him. And then she didn’t hear footsteps at all, then he landed on her, having gone into a jump tackle.

“You’re gonna regret making me bleed bitch!”

She was every bit as tall as he was and had the muscle. But he had magic. How much had he learned in six years at Brunnhold? Enough to cause her immense pain, apparently.

It felt like a heart attack. As she clutched her chest, struggling to breath, he was ripping her dress apart. Catriona retreated into her mind, trying desperately to pretend it wasn’t happening. This couldn’t be happening to her.

Her cries were quiet now, as he stood up and began pulling his clothes back on. She curled up in the leaves beneath her dirt covered body, still begging him as if he could undo it. As if he could take it back. He sighed staring at her. Catriona could feel him sit next to her and push her hair back tenderly but her eyes remained closed. “There’s more I need to do to make you mine, Catriona. But it’s going to hurt and I don’t think I’d like you awake for it.”

By the time she heard the monite again, she was already losing consciousness.

Catriona Fraser

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:41 pm

47th of Roalis, 2711
Catriona woke to the sound of the crackling fire and the most intense pain inside her mouth. She was gurgling blood and screaming in agony. Her hands were stretched behind her by a rope surrounding a tree. Hugh calmly shoved a hot dagger into her mouth, cauterizing her wound. Everything was a blur. The glowing iron, hot against her bared flesh. And then he was throwing things into the fire, her dress, her shoes, even the bonnet she’d worn. Then he was slicing a dagger unceremoniously through her long hair, cutting at the base of her neck, and that too went into the fire. “There my little Kenser. No pride here, let me look at you.”

She tugged at the ropes holding her to the tree and cried as she tried to make some sort of sound. That’s when she saw the hooded figure approaching behind Hugh. “Strange rituals, you Galdori have. And they call us uncivilized.”

Hugh turned around and opened his mouth to cast just before the Wick tackled him and swung his lantern at Hugh’s head. It should have knocked him out. Their silhouettes wrestling against the light of the fire, Cat could only watch and pray that the Wick would win. As the two fought, a second hooded figure jumped in to help them while a third was already making their way towards Catriona.

The Wick’s face was illuminated only by the lantern she held and for some reason, Catriona found her terrifying. She tried to scream as she came closer but the Wick covered her mouth long enough to calm her down.

“I’m going to cut the ropes. Please be quiet.” Catriona nodded but couldn’t help whimpering in pain. As soon as her hands were free they went to her mouth. The damage was excruciating and she choked on her sobs. As she watched the three fighters, dark shapes dancing around one another, casting and punching she figured she knew who would win. And as soon as one Wick went down, the woman wrapped Catriona in robes and took off while Hugh was still distracted. As she ran toward the farm she stopped just at the edge of the woods. Catriona grabbed at her cloak. Maybe she could go with them, hide away in her shame and suffering. The woman got down on her knees next to her. “No no, dear we can fix most of this. I can’t...I can’t grow back what he took but...give me some time.”

As she laid in the dirt, the Wick covered Catriona’s mouth with her hands and she could feel herself healing. The swelling went down, the pain subsided, if only a little, and she could feel that she’d only lost half her tongue. “Your father, Joseph, is a friend to us. He has done more for us than you can possibly know. I met you when you were a babe. Held you in my arms. I’m so sorry this was your fate.” Catriona couldn’t help sobbing again. For some reason the Wick could not explain, she wrapped her arms around her. She held her for a few minutes and then snuffed her lantern, picked her up in her arms and began carrying her out of the woods.

The workers and Joseph could be heard calling her name. Not excited to explain herself, the Wick laid her down on the edge of the woods, put her finger to her lips and fled back into the trees to help her friends. Catriona stood and was immediately noticed by a worker watching the woods. Cries went up “We found her! We’ve got her! Dear Vita, Joseph come quick!” Se collapsed in exhaustion yet again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information