[PM to Join] Words and Weaves

Aodh Elzo pays a call on Ava Weaver, to seek advice on how best to help Cat.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Aodh Elzo
Topics: 14
Race: Wick
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am

Early Afternoon, 21 Yaris, 2719

The warmth of the smile lit up Ava's face, and in that moment Aodh thought he had never seen anyone so beautiful. He pushed such thoughts aside, not the time, never the time for such.

Firebrand listened, nodded a grin of triumph pulled at his lean face. Yet again it seemed providence was on their side.

"Wo chet! But that's benny news, aye if you could arrange a meetin' I'll see if I can sign on with a crew. I'll be better placed t'handle the rest, though it'll take time maybe."

He nodded, mind working. Silk had said she would see what she could find and that was good enough for him, he trusted her explicitly. What else could he be doing as well as being on a cleaning crew? Thoughtfully he said aloud, as the thought formed.

"What's the one thing y'can always rely on jent to have?"

Other than an unearned sense of superiority and their damn noses in the air he thought to himself.

"Servents, an' I don't reckon the Greer's are any different. If'n we can learn where they drink or the like. That's another line o' questioning."

Firebrand's fingers tingle, he could feel the adrenaline building in him, the pure joy of doing something. Anything to strike back, not just for the Resistance but for someone, to right a wrong he had witnessed. Thinking of Cat then Aodh had another thought and said.

"I was wonderin' would you be able t' teach me t' read sign some?"

He gave a small embarrassed laugh then running a hand through his wild hair.

"Epaemo Miss Weaver, I know I'm askin' a lot. Mujo mujo ma, you've done so much already, I'm fair grateful."

It was true, without her, it'd be very likely he'd of got himself snatched up by the Seventen, or worse. Aodh could not express his gratitude , but it was write plain on his lean face and in his grey blue eyes.

Tags:
Ava Weaver
Topics: 11
Race: Human
Writer: moralhazard
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Plot Notes

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Woven Delights, the Painted Ladies
Ava smiled. Some time in the next few days, she thought, she would wake a little earlier than usual – dress, because it would not do to be seen outside in any other state, and make a little extra tea, and take a cup to Jerry as he made his rounds in the pre-dawn light. They would chat; his wife did heavy cleaning, and she had helped Ava with her own a few times, in exchange for a finer quality of linen than they could otherwise afford. It would be lovely to ask about her, and their two daughters, the younger of which was due to have her first child any time now.

And, eventually, Ava would mention that she knew a wick who sold brushes, sometimes, who was reliable, and looking for steadier employment in the city, and she would see how Jerry felt about such things. She would not ask; she could not be so crude, but she would guide the conversation, gently, steer it, and she was willing to bet that Jerry would offer to talk to Aodh, before she was finished.

She was willing to bet a good deal on such skills, Ava thought; they had long since served her well.

“Servants,” Silk smiled. “Of course. An excellent idea. If you’re on the street, perhaps you’ll have the chance to talk to some of the servants going in or out.” She doubted that Uptown had only one shift of street sweepers daily, but Aodh might be able to make a bit of conversation at almost any time, if someone went in or out for an errand, or wished to linger a few moments before starting the day, or came out looking to blow off steam. “These Greers can’t be easy to work for,” she said, and grinned.

Aodh changed the subject then, although not too far, and asked, almost sheepishly, if Ava might teach him some sign. Ava smiled again, although it wasn’t as warm as the one before; she had to be careful, she thought. Just a little.

“Oh, no, I’d – it’s a fair benny idea, Mr. Elzo,” Ava smiled at him. “I’d be glad to try. There’s – an alphabet to it, like any language. If you’ve the knack of that, Cat’ll be able to sign any words you don’t know. We could start with a few signs – hello, and goodbye, maybe, and the alphabet, if you like?” She glanced back at the open door, and rose smoothly, checking the main part of the shop. No customers, yet, but she doubted she’d have a long reprieve.

“I’ll show you what I can now,” Ava said, turning back with a smile. She sat again.

“Hello is simple,” Ava said. She lifted her hand to the height of her head, crossing her thumb in front of her palm, fingers extended, and gently waved her hand outwards. She waited for Aodh to try, and nodded. “Expression is very important too,” Ava said, smiling at him. “That is – think of…” She hesitated, thoughtful, “think of how you’d greet someone without words, with your expression. Try to do the same as you sign.”

Good-bye was simple too, a wave with the fingers folding down to the palm and opening again at chest high. Ava let Aodh get the hang of that as well, waiting as best as she could, and with those simple words done, began the more laborious process of finger-spelling, making the gestures graceful with her hands, and repeating the meaning of each sign more than once as she did. She did not touch Aodh, and more than once she had trouble articulating what, precisely, he was doing wrong, but she was at least able to show him, cleanly, what the signs should be, and to explain the corresponding letters and sounds.

They were perhaps ten letters in when the bell tinkled, signaling that the front door had opened. Ava rose. “Enough to practice on, I hope?” She smiled at Aodh. “You’re welcome to wait, Mr. Elzo, I’ll come back if I can,” carefully, Ava raised her voice, just a little. “I’m sure that purple waistcoat would be lovely,” she said as she stepped out of the back room, already smiling again at the potential customer entering.

Aodh Elzo
Topics: 14
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:43 pm

As Ava showed him the basics of sign Aodh watched her hands, his own moving a little behind. He'd always found doing helped him learn, he remembered the sign Cat had shown him for his own name and smiled. For a short time, everything else faded away, they were just two friends and Aodh's mind was quiet filled with nothing but a new skill to work on. His lean face looked younger somehow, less troubled and lined.

When the door jingled to herald a customer the world came crashing back like a wave. Aodh kept any sign of disappointment from his face, for it was unfair and unworthy, Ava had a business to run after all.

He stood gave a warm smile and nodded his thanks, his hands making the sign for it, haltingly. He raised his own voice then.

"Aye, mujo ma Miss Weaver, for takin' the time. I'll be back later in the week. Fotamos."

He bowed slightly, still smiling. He followed her out into the shop, just another happy customer. On the way out he nodded a cheerful greeting to the customer as he past.

Outside Aodh paused took out his tobacco pouch and papers, rolled himself a cigarette. He'd be back, hopefully Ava would have news of the street crew job, in the meantime he'd see what he could learn of the Greer's servants.

Firebrand grinned as he lit a match, regarded the bring flame briefly before touching it to the end of his cigarette. As he walked he sang softly.

"I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young fool lost their baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade…."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information