And Please Remember to Give Generously (Madeleine)

The vagaries of charity

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed
Topics: 28
Race: Galdor
: The one-man Deep State
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Runcible Spoon
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Templates

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:58 am

Vienda- In Stainthorpe Hall
The 13th of Hamis - 51 Minutes past the 13th Hour
"C
ivic census.” He pushes the first of the volumes toward the girl. Large, heavy, well-thumbed. Fingers walk the edge of the pages, feeling for the right spot. Ink stains on the nails and along the side of his index fingers. Like strange tattoos. Might well be tattoos at this stage, the ink driven under the skin by long years of writing. He can never seem to fully remove it. Even the manicurist at the bathhouse, he as gone once or twice, could only shake her head and leave it faded, but still present. The mark of the profession. The indelible mark of his own class. Lets the girl see this, then opens the book to show her the classes of all the rest.

“Vienda, at the beginning of the last Symvoul,” Tables of districts, population counts by race and origin, income distributions, household size: averages and standard deviations, and set down in fine narrow print. 2.56 million people, reduced, turned into a few characters on a few pages. Unsettling. Necessary. Magnificent. “According to counts, and projections from counts, there were 642,871 individuals within the City of Vienda who were living at or below subsistence level. And, here,” he indicates several more lines of class demographic figures, detailing the working poor and even the better-off lowers classes, “you can see another 893,129 persons who would benefit from some form of practical and financial assistance. Any program of poor relief would have to attempt to handle a large, and sadly growing, population of the desperate and the needy. I doubt very much that a few do-gooders going about asking for cast-offs is going to provide real and lasting material relief for so large a population.”

Stained fingers turn more pages, dozens, hundreds. Past class divisions and income levels, past tallies of laborers and lesser clerks, shopkeepers, artisans, small industrialists, and finally, to a table of of commercial establishments. “Here, miss, you have hundreds of tailors, clothiers, general merchants, second-hand shops, and so on. If your goal is to relieve the clothing deficit, I would suggest you look into these places. Perhaps a public program of bulk purchases as a discount from a number of suppliers, then centralized distribution of said clothing to the needy? Raising funds for such an undertaking would be no small matter. Likely taxes, on property, on income, perhaps on luxury clothing. That seems most apposite.” Will he be happy with such as tax? No. The price of cravats and fine waistcoats will raise to absurd levels. The rent on his rooms will rise. He is not sure he can afford that. No, these things do not matter, should not matter. He is one man, policy cannot be dictated by his own prejudices. There is too much of that already in the law. No good can come of it. A great deal of ill has come from such things. It is not sound. Taxes are the price of civilization.

Odd. The girl has been annoying. Bothersome. Unexpected. A delay. He would wish her away. He cannot do so, finds he does not want to. He speaks, shows the numbers, provides methods. It is an old habit, a familiar habit. He stops thinking of her as ‘the girl’. No point. No use. Rather think of her as an inquiry agent from some other department, needing assistance turning idiocy into useful policy.

“These,” he indicated the other volumes on the desk, “Contain previous poor relief laws. Most of them have failed. They could never have succeeded. I cannot say they were ever designed to succeed. Rather, they were designed to assuage the guilt of wealth and station. And if that is your charge and reason, to purge yourself of guilt by useless but seemingly kind gestures, then I cannot, will not help you.”

Tags:
Madeleine Gosselin
Topics: 9
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Late Morning, 13 Hamis, 2719
B.A. Shrikeweed's Office, Stainthorpe Hall
Madeleine looked up, wide-eyed, at Mr. Shrikeweed, when he pushed the first book towards her. She glanced back down at it; there was a big ink stain on his fingers, Madeleine noticed; she tried to look away, because she was sure she wasn’t supposed to stare, but it was hard. She thought she should tell him – what if he didn’t know? It would be terribly embarrassing to have a stain on your fingers and not know, and it might get all over his clothing or his coat or – but the words seemed to die somewhere in her throat, and only a faint squeak emerged.

Madeleine’s eyes opened a little wider when the book opened. It was a book about Vienda! Civic census, Madeleine thought. Of course; she knew what the census was. It made sense that they would put it in a book. The numbers were large – very large. They were the sort of numbers in science, not the sort of numbers one applied to people, Madeleine thought.

“One and a half million people,” Madeleine whispered, softly. “And a little more.” She looked up at Mr. Shrikeweed, and nodded, slowly, at his pronouncement about cast-offs, her shoulders slumping slightly. “I don’t… I don’t think I can get that many coats,” Madeleine said, a little sadly.

He kept turning the pages, then, and Madeleine looked back down, not understanding. She followed his fingers over the pages, and he stopped on a list of business names. Madeleine frowned, a little, trying to make sense of the suggestion. Raise money by taxing clothing, and then… buy the clothing from these tailors and second-hand shops, and redistribute them.

Madeleine didn’t think it made sense. Of course you could tax clothing, fancy clothing – make it even more expensive – and use the money for that. But the point was that lots of people had dresses they weren’t even using – dresses or coats like the one Mr. Shrikeweed had sitting on his clothestand – and it wouldn’t even hurt them to give them up. It wasn’t like one of the humans would wear them at a fancy ball or something and one would be embarrassed; and, anyway, the fabric from some fancy dresses could be used to make several dresses for humans.

Madeleine didn’t think people liked taxes. She tried to think of how she would tell Angelique that the price of her dresses would increase, and she almost cringed.

“But…” Madeleine tried, very softly, and then stopped, because Mr. Shrikeweed had kept going. He touched the other books, big, thick, heavy books, and Madeleine looked down at them, and then back up at him, and frowned.

“Why would someone do something if they don’t want it to succeed?” Madeleine asked, curiously. “Why would – so many people do things if they don’t want them to succeed?” She reached out to touch the other volumes, and then pulled her hand back, as if they might sting her, and looked earnestly back at Mr. Shrikeweed, wide-eyed once more. "Do you think... we should feel guilty?" She frowned again, brow knitting over her small, worried face, staring intently at the civil servant.

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:09 am

Vienda - In Stainthorpe Hall
The 13th of Hamis - 3 Minutes past the 14th Hour
H
e looks at the girl’s face, watches as she screws up her features in cogitation. He knows the expression, has felt it in his own features: she is weighing this and that, considering the angles. Perhaps she is formulating a plan? Preparing a counter proposal. He would like to hear it, even if it is unworkable it would indicate something is going on behind those over-damp eyes.

Guilty. She wants to know if they should feel guilty. He sighs. Irrelevant. The qualia of guilt is meaningless. The effect, the behavior, however, is plain to see. Charity is not for the recipient. It is for the giver. Some way to delude themselves into thinking their actions matter, that they matter. A common delusion. A dangerous one. If giving provides purpose and meaning, then there must always be someone to give to. Wipe out some form of privation, and another will be invented to take its place.

“Young lady, people engage in all manner of folly on a daily basis. I do, as do you, and everyone else that has ever lived. Why? I have no idea. But we are all susceptible to it. Fools one and all. And as to guilt, I cannot claim to have some private window into the psyche where I can infallibly read motives, but I can read papers, laws, and I can hear speeches and be bothered in my office by well-meaning young persons in green.” He smiles his most bureaucratic smile. Humorless, dry, unsettling. “And what I make of it all is this: a great deal of virtuous-seeming activity with very little practical result.” Often the result it worse. No one thinks these things through. Studies could be done, pilot programs of various kinds begun, statistics analysed, plans revised. These things do not satisfy, do not provide the ennobling effect that is desired. That should be irrelevant. Nobility is meaningless, all the more so when it accomplishes nothing. “People want to be seen to be doing what they think is good. It elevates them, earns them the praise of the public, the accolades of their friends, and allows them to sleep well at night in their own snug beds.”

How long has it been since he has slept well? Weeks? Months? It could be any amount of time. It feels like years. He has no idea when last he woke feeling rested. The times did not allow for anything but a fitful and uncomfortable sleep. His own private sacrifice, his offering that he might keep his position in the world. It seems a heavy price. It was not enough. Never enough. Chaos in the streets, social order disrupted. Intolerable. Unavoidable. No amount of lost sleep or cast off coats could secure order and stability. The real price is too high. Too uncomfortable. So it is ignored, covered over with the too-thin sheets of charity, of morality, of the appearance of virtue.

“You do not agree with my proposal. I can see that well enough in your face.” He focuses again on the girl, trying to see if she reacts. She will react. He hopes it will not be with tears. “That is well and good. But I ask you this, what would you do instead? How would you solve the problem, now you have the numbers? And remember, do not mistake activity for progress.”

Madeleine Gosselin

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:14 am

Be bothered by well-meaning young people in green. Madeleine stared at Shrikeweed, eyes widening steadily. He had smiled as he said it. Was he making fun of her? Madeleine felt very small, and she felt tears burning at the back of her eyes. She blinked, and tried, feebly, to rub them away, her breath catching in her chest.

But he had answered her question. Not only had he answered it, but he had said a lot of very interesting things. He wouldn’t do that and make fun of her, Madeleine decided. Maybe it had been a joke, but not a joke at her? Just a joke in front of her. Madeleine couldn’t tell; he had smiled, but it hadn’t seemed to her like a happy smile. Then again, it hadn’t seemed to her like a mean smile either.

Shrikeweed told her she didn’t agree with him. Madeleine’s head jerked up and she stared at him; she thought to protest, to shake her head and promise his idea was really very good, she could never have thought of such a thing -

He went on, and said it was good. Madeleine stared at him, frowning now, confused. He... wanted to hear her ideas? She looked down at the book, and tentatively reached down to touch it. Carefully, Madeleine turned back - back - back, flipping page by page until she found the population count totals once more.

“It’s just -“ Madeleine began, falteringly, looking at the columns where all the people were totaled up, wide-eyed.

“There are a lot of ladies in the society to clothe the lower races, Mr. Shrikeweed,” Madeleine said, looking up at the galdor behind the desk. She hesitated, shifting a little. “And - maybe I’m not very good at it,” tears pricked at the corner of her eyes, and Madeleine swallowed hard and continued, “but many of them do get a lot in donations, especially clothing.”

“But...” Madeleine frowned a little now. “I understand what you mean. Even if we had a hundred more ladies, I don’t think it would be enough. It’s only... well, I don’t think any of them would be very happy if they had to pay more for their dresses. And I think it’s even more true for people who donate. Do you see?” Madeleine looked up at him, worried, wide-eyed.

“It’s only - it’s like you said, sir. People want to be,” Madeleine faltered; she couldn’t remember the exact phrasing. She tried again, anyway, trembling, expecting that at any moment he would cut her off and tell her she was a fool. “People want to be known for charitable works but nobody wants to be known for - for paying more in taxes.”

“It’s like -“ Madeleine frowned. “Like in confisalto, if I‘m spinning one way and my partner is spinning another we can’t spin together? I mean so isn’t it better if the policy spins with... with people?”

Madeleine shifted, and swallowed hard. “But just having the society won’t get enough clothing. I see that, Mr. Shrikeweed, I do! Only what if - what if the government could sanction it?” Madeleine looked down at the books. “There are - I guess it says two hundred thousand galdori living in the city. So if... if everyone gave eight pieces of clothing a year, wouldn’t it be enough? And if they gave three and a half at least it would help the humans who need it most. And anyway - from one dress for a party - I think sometimes you could make more than one dress for a human? I mean, it’s not like they need a ballgown.”

“And then you would need tailors to make over the clothing,” Madeleine said, frowning. “But to pay them you would need money so - maybe they could get to keep a part of the fabric?” Her face brightened, and she looked up at Shrikeweed. “Because if - if there were just enough people going and asking - and if it was sanctioned, properly, and maybe the government was - was encouraging everyone to donate - like if the incumbents donated, and it was in the news - wouldn’t people want to be seen doing good like them?”

Madeleine offered Shrikeweed a tiny, breathless smile, excited and terrified all at once, and waited, trembling a little, to see what he would say.

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:09 am

The 13th of Hamis -11 Minutes past the 14th Hour
T
he girl is right. This pains him. Not about the girl, but rather about the facts she states. It pains to have it so plainly stated that the appearance of good works is of such great moment. The good should not be an action, should have no codifiable agent. It should emerge from sound policy, civic virtue, and good governance. And no one should receive the slightest credit for it. Credit, notoriety, prestige. All are right and proper to the sphere of public life, but no one should be lauded for doing civilized things inefficiently.

Efficiently. A thought, just a sliver of an idea. It is not perfect, but then no idea is. Still it has merit. It has scope. The pieces are all before him on the table, scattered about, and in the naive but well-intentioned words of the girl. She is irritating. She is good at being irritating. It spurs along thought, pushes ideas in strange ways. One feels the compelling need to give the girl something useful, something she can be happy with so that she will go away. A curious virtue. It is a virtue worth cultivating

“Miss Gosselin,” he says, trying to keep his tone controlled, trying to keep his face placid and bland. It is a mask, a fiction. But then so much of living is a fiction. What is one more civil untruth? “You say you already have a number of donations, that they perhaps pile up. A significant surplus of good, just sitting about is of no use to anyone.” Least of all these grand ladies who are probably tormenting their personal maids about the lack of space for new season gowns. Is that a thing grand ladies do? Likely. It has never much concerned him. His own mother is no great seasonal clothes horse. She’s had the same few sun hats for ages, simple, practical, efficient.

“So, with the matter of collection largely something handled by your current infrastructure,” He turns back to the census, peruses the figures district by district. The map forms in his mind as he reads the names. Thripping Bite, Flyash, Sadlery Hill,Painted Ladies . . . North of the river, the less salubrious parts of the city. “Perhaps you should turn your attentions to distribution. And on a smaller scale. Select a district well supplied with both clothiers and warehouses, Sadlery Hill perhaps, and use the influence of your organization enlist the aid of the tailors and clothiers to mend and remake the clothing, for a decent wage of course. Then stockpile the reworked clothing in centrally located warehouses for disbursement. You may even be able to acquire a local grant to cover some of the costs. Call it a pilot program. Local government dearly loves a pilot program.”

Charity still sits ill with him. The implications. Still, it is not only local government that loves a pilot program. This way, at least, his discomfort, and of course the very real issues of poverty, can be assuaged all at once. There is nothing quite like the prospect of administrative productivity in the offing to set the world to rights.

“There is only one way to eat an elephant Miss Goselin. One bite at a time”

Madeleine Gosselin

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:50 am

Madeleine watched Mr. Shrikeweed, wide-eyed, and waited. She was quiet, at first, and then she shifted a little, and then she held still again, and straightened her back and squared her shoulders and waited. He had asked, she thought. He had wanted her idea. Her excited smile had dimmed a little in the face of his silence, and it dimmed further when he said her name, solemn and serious.

Madeleine nodded vigorously when Mr. Shrikeweed said a surplus was no good, attentively. “Distribution,” Madeleine repeated, obediently. A warehouse in Sadlery hill? She paid attention, careful, and nodded. “A pilot program,” Madeleine said, reverentially. She smiled at Shrikeweed again, a brilliant smile.

“I think that is a very good idea, Mr. Shrikeweed,” Madeleine said, breathless. “I’ll tell the other ladies about - about Sadlery hill, and the warehouse, and the tailors, and the distribution, and the pilot program. I mean, that we should call it a pilot program. I will tell them you suggested it! I know they will be very grateful.”

The little galdor beamed at him, from across the desk. Madeleine hesitated, looking down, then back up at the red-haired man. “Thank you,” Madeleine said, solemnly.

There was a pause; Madeleine frowned, tentatively, and her hands shifted, brushing against the folds of her skirt, then settling. She wasn’t precisely sure why one would want to eat an elephant. She supposed it was a metaphor, but it wasn’t one she had ever heard before. What were you supposed to eat, then? Was the elephant the metaphor? Or the eating? Or both? It had sounded very proper when Mr. Shrikeweed said it, and very official. She would say it too, Madeleine decided. There was only one way to eat an elephant. One bite at a time. One could only eat an elephant one bite at a time? Madeleine thought that sounded even nicer; she hoped it was still correct.

“I should go, I think,” Madeleine said, hesitant. “I know you must be very busy,” she smiled tentatively at Shrikeweed again, a little anxious, as if at the reminder he would throw her out. But he had been very nice to her; Madeleine felt very much better than she had before. She ran her fingers through her braid, and only managed to pull half of the strands looser, so it fell in a thick, dark red cloud about her head. She brushed at her skirt, and managed to dislodge a clump of mud onto his floor.

Madeleine shifted a little more. She didn’t want to go, but she had made a promise. She wouldn’t come back empty handed, no matter what; Mr. Shrikeweed had seen to that. She had something even better than a spare coat; she had an idea. Madeleine was sure everyone would love it.

Madeleine bowed, deeply and carefully. “Thank you again, Mr. Shrikeweed,” Madeleine said, happily. “I will come and tell you how it goes,” she promised, faithfully.

With another tentative smile, Madeleine turned to leave Mr. Shrikeweed’s office, her step considerably lighter. She would try another office, Madeleine promised herself. She took a deep breath, and straightened up, and charged onwards. She could do it; she would do it. She would get more coats and pledges, and she would take them back with Mr. Shrikeweed’s wonderful idea, and everyone would smile at her. Madeleine could hardly wait.

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 am

The 13th of Hamis -14 Minutes past the 14th Hour
H
e needs no credit. Wants none. Embarrassment? No, that is entirely the wrong emotion. Embarrassment is a soft, warm feeling; like being smothered in a warming pan. This is nothing like that. And sound political council is never an embarrassment. The subject is of no matter. Something else then. The feeling is persistent, ancient, arising naturally. It’s shape, its feel are nothing like embarrassment. Cold thoughts and hard, dark, jagged, like a knife of obsidian; beautiful, deadly, and alone. Vanity? Yes, after a fashion.

Vanity is a poison, something to be drawn out and purged. The girl wants to thank him, to mention him to her fellows. It is not sound to attract unwanted attention. He recalls something that Levesque taught him very early in his career. An axiom of the civil service: Whisper your way to success. He thanks the ghost of the old man. It is not the first time and will not be the last.

“Miss Gosselin, I require no expansive thanks. It is part of my function to provide counsel and to tease out ideas. I am just one more gear in the great clock of governance, and one does not thank a gear for performing its function.” He inclines his head toward the girl, trying to maintain the bland professional friendliness that has never quite sat right with him. This is why he could not stay at the law. He could never quite warm to clients. “I would, however, be most interested in the progress of your endeavors, should you manage to put forth your pilot program. Keep notes Miss Gosselin, and minutes of meetings. Note who makes useful suggestions, and who does not. Keep track of successes and obstacles. Note what works and what goes awry. And things will go awry. They always do. It is no true failing. Failure is to continue on with a flawed course of action out of bloody-minded stubbornness.”

Another smile slowly forms upon his face, sly but amused. “And do pass your notes along to me. I may have some additional pointers I can give.” And there will be names. Names of influential busybodies along with observations. Inside information. To what end? Unknown. One can never have too much information. There are always returns on such investments.

The girl gets up to go, still looking a little confused and lost, but with a different mood than before. Confusion that might lead to asking questions, and a kind of lost that tends to result in checking the proverbial map. That alone is a virtue, a utility. She is likely to ruffle some feathers. Good. Feathers need ruffling from time to time. Gets the dust out.

“One last thing before you go.” He gets up, crosses over to the coat rack and takes down the torn article of clothing, hands it to her. “Take the coat if you still want it. I seem to have gotten all I need out of it.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information