[Open] What Now?

Alyssa takes a minute to talk to Aodh and Tobias, without her guard up.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Raksha
Site Admin
Topics: 65
Race: Storyteller
: Resistance is Futile. Order is life.
Character Sheet: My Office
Post Templates: Post Templates

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:00 pm

69 Roalis, 2720
THE DIVES | EVENING
This isn't what Alyssa had intended when she left the How. Hurt, angry, betrayed—the brunette hadn’t left to lead. She’d left because everything she stood for, everything she’d fought and bled for, had been belittled and turned to nothing but childrens tantrums. She'd left because damn it, if Jon wasn’t going to do something she would.
​​
​​She just didn’t intend to take a raft of people with her.
​​
​​When the assassin left, her departure had invited Firebrand and the kid. Tobias. If only because they were like her, they could see the writing on the wall. She’d never left to lead them though. Just to escape. To breathe and think. Gunner in Jon’s ear had been too much to watch, Stu and Ginny turning their backs on her. Even Emelia, her niece that she’d rescued that Jon had lied about.
​​
​​Everyone had turned on her. Turned on what they fought for.
​​
​​Others had seen her leave, reached out to her, shocked by her admittance that Gunner now lead them with fluffy ideas about public relations and…what? Soup kitchens with flyers?! Some had come with her then, others had come along later with word of mouth behind hands or in private places.
​​
​​And Alyssa welcomed them in, though she offered no leadership.
​​
​​The bunker in the Dives wasn't on any Resistance map, a small abandoned tanning factory, so destitute that it was a wonder how it stayed up. Boarded windows and doors, rats in the rafters and spiders in every nook and cranny. There was no entrance that could be used, that could be seen, and should anyone actually come inside the factory it would be nothing more than a stone slab floor, some broken empty crates and rusted factory machines, all caked with dust. It had a mezzanine, but the wooden stairs were rotted through, making the way up a roulette—would you make it or would you fall and break your neck? What would have been a storage room in the far right corner had been crushed by a large metal ventalation pipe that had fallen from the roof.
​​
​​And it was here, that the entrance to the bunker was hidden. It was easy when you understood how. Around the back, one of the windows looked boarded, but in actual fact swung open to reveal it was a fake door. Once inside, one would have to climb inside the tubing and crawl along till they got to a small hatch. Pop it open and climb down the clearly hand made ladder into the long forgotten basement storage of the factory.
​​
​​Inside here, it was just a big square room, two people high at least. It had been semi fashioned into blocks of ‘privacy’ using old crates and privacy screens, where a couple of people could sleep if they needed to. Alyssa had taken occupancy of the furthest corner space, her very small collection of clothes and belongings that belonged specifically to her taken from the How, enough to fit in a large duffle bag.
​​
​​In the centre of the room was a gathering space of sort, boxes and old casks making up seating. A large crate was being used as a table as needed, and to the far right was a small ops station. For planning in private if needed.
​​
​​It wasn't the How, but it was safe. And private. It wasn’t officially Resitance operated, in fact aside from those invited only one person had known about the place, that being Alyssa. If people were to pay attention they would notice signs of living here before they arrived. A small hearth built out of stones, a kettle pot, a cup and some bedding. A couple of crates that were locked shut, and some older papers from Kingsway Post.
​​
​​As it was, tonight, Alyssa sat huddled over her broken arm in a dark oversized jacket, sipping on a tin mug of what might be whisky, staring at the glowing coals of a small fire. Should Aodh or Tobias be nearby, she would offer a smile, and a place by the fire.
​​
​​ “Please, friends, take a seat. I would welcome your company and your thoughts.” If they would sit down with her, the dark haired assassin would sit quietly for a moment, before speaking up.
​​
​​ “I didn’t expect so many others to come…but I suppose, it shows that we’re all feeling the same way. Tell me, are you okay? I…I haven't really been in a good state of mind to actually ask.” The woman kept her voice low, but it wasn't flat and emotionless. For the first time, maybe in forever, Alyssa spoke without her mask.
​​
​​A mask though, that was not visible like the one that Gunner wore.
​​
​​ “I’d love to just talk, if that's ok?”
​​

Tags:
Tobias Murdock
Topics: 7
Race: Human
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Sigil

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:59 pm

69th Roalis 2720

It had been hard to hide his disappointment upon first seeing the new hideout. To call it run down would’ve been giving it far too much praise. Dust, spiders, mice and drafty windows were all things he could live with, but it was the totality of them all put together that had made him reluctant to move in at first.

That was before he’d been shown the secret entrance. The hidden room was all the things the building was not: clean, dry, and mostly empty. The only part he dislked was having to crawl through the tubing. It reminded him of crawling under the heavy, hissing machines at the shoe factory. He’d had the distinct disadvantage of being small and flexible and so, under the threat of being so thoroughly trashed that he might as well throw himself in the machine, he’d been made to crawl through the maze of cogs, pistons many times.

Fortunately, the tube separating the decaying factory from the hidden room was short and fairly sizable. Besides, he wasn't at risk of having his limbs crushed when he made a mistake, which took off some of the pressure. Nevertheless, he breathed a sigh of relief each time he made it through.

Even though his ‘room’ was little more than a few bedrolls with a stack of crates for a wall, it had quickly become home. Over time he had accumulated some trinkets to decorate the space; an old coat hanger for his coat, smoothed river stones he’d collected, an old broken pocket watch and most precious of all, a collection of beat-up books and old newspapers that he’d read ten times over. He’d taken the liberty to cut out one of the headlines and put it above his bed. It read: “TERRORISTS VANDALIZE THE CITY” and underneath the bold font was a picture of a pamphlet he’d personally put up in Rotherwick many seasons ago. There were two more bedrooms beside his own that were sometimes occupied by other members of the resistance, but for the most part he had the space to himself.

---

It was well into the evening by the time Tobias clambered down the rickety hand-made ladder and joined the Wisp near the fire. No one particularly minded when he came and went, in stark contrast to every time he’d showed up uninvited at the Book and Bell and got interrogated by Ginny.

“Never better,” he answered the Wisp’s question while he scooted closer to her. "I sleep like an ox. You?" When she'd answered he revealed a wax-paper package he’d carried under his arm. “I brought something". He’d brought things back before, things he claimed to have found that day, often food, drink or snuff boxes and other pocket valuables. So long as no one felt the need to ask how he magically conjured up these items with surprising frequency, he didn’t bother to tell.

Wasting no time he whipped out his pocket knife and cut the package open. Inside was a large chunk of dry, crumbling cheese, a string of sausages, a crunchy bread baked that morning and a knob of salted butter. With a wide grin plastered on his face he left the group for a moment to fetch a skillet, letting them wonder at how he’d obtained the meal.

When he returned with the pan he put in the butter first and set it on the fire. Taking out the sausages, he passed the bread and cheese on to Firebrand. “I’m starving, could you divide that?” Truthfully, he was almost always hungry, but no matter how much food he shoved into his mouth, he simply didn’t grow tall-wise or broad-wise.

With a hiss the sausages hit the bubbling fat and a mouth-watering scent filled the air. “Lamb sausage, believe it or not,” he grinned. “I traded it for one of these.”

He opened his coat and pulled out a dusty bottle of smoked whisky and handed it over to the Wisp. “I went upstairs the other day, found a couple of these in a drawer. Apparently they’re quite valuable, especially now with those moony VEC arselings going around.” He stirred the sausages in the skillet, making sure they got an even sear on them before he continued. “Got me thinking, if we could make something like that, or just gin, we could earn a lot of money, and then we could build proper walls, maybe even a workshop and food storage, weapons…” his voice trailed off while his eyes darted across the room. It would take effort and time, but it was possible, possible to build a stronghold from which they’d hurt the gollies back.

He took the skillet off the heat and fished out one of the sausages with a bit of bread and offered it to the Wisp, then held out the pan to Firebrand so he could take one out too. “So, what do you think? We could either make it ourselves or, better yet, get it back from the gollies and sell it. Should hurt them a lot of we manage to pull it off....”
Aodh Elzo
Topics: 14
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:44 pm

69th Roalis 2720

Aodh had followed Alyssa into the ruined factory and down into the bunker, as he walked his sharp eyes took in the surroundings, making mental notes of exits and the like.

He did the same once he was in the bunker, as well as taking in the bits of furniture and other features, he gave a slight nod of approval as he sat down next to the fire and took his short clay pipe from a waistcoat pocket and packed the bowl with rough tobacco and lit it with a twig from the fire.

When Alyssa finally spoke he regarded the assassin and returned the smile, then turned his eyes to the young lad as he set about cooking and shared his thoughts.

Aodh scratched at his chin beard and looked thoughtful.

"Well, we've Artful's sewer plan tomorrow. A damn fine idea that. Make the laseo jent wade in their own shit for a time." He chuckled then as blue grey smoke curled from his hawk like nose.

"As for your idea Egg, it's smart, can't fight a war without ging."

When the lad holds out the pan holding the sausages he takes the folding knife from another pocket of his waistcoat and in one movement opens it and spears one.

"Mujo ma Egg."After taking the pipe from his mouth he takes a bite from the sprared sausage and chews thoughtfully.

"Now as fer my plan, I'm close wit a crew of likely tsat' who I used to run wit' I reckon I can't get um to join the cause. After that, we start hittin' back."

Aodh glances over to Alyssa, his face serious.

"I mean, if you're in favour chief?" After all it's clear to the rangey wick that Wisp was in charge of this band.

Finishing the rest of the sausage and cleaning the blade of his knife on the leg of his trousers before closing it and returning it to the pocket. This done he leans towards the small fire, as he looks over it at Alyssa and Tobias the flames reflection dances in his eyes, his voice is a low rasp.

"We need to hurt the jent here, hurt um, and keep hurtin'. Make this city an' example as what's in store for the rest of um."

After a moment he leans away from the fire and put his pipe back between his teeth and puffs it back to life

Raksha
Site Admin
Topics: 65
Race: Storyteller
: Resistance is Futile. Order is life.
Character Sheet: My Office
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:47 am

69 Roalis, 2720
THE DIVES | EVENING
Alyssa nodded back at Aodh, appreciating his presence even if he was quiet for the most part. To Tobias’ answer, she chuckled softly, looking at the young boy.

“Like an ox? That’s brilliant, just clocking brilliant.” Sipping her drink, the brunette’s half smile faded a little and she stared into the mug, not quite answering her own feelings in the moment, instead offering a small shrug

“Me? Oh well I…I’m still figuring that out.” Her blue eyes lifted as Tobias moved, watching the youngest freedom fighter pull a package from his small frame, not questioning the how or why of it. Since their depature from the How, Alyssa had discovered that the boy was far more resourceful than anyone had ever given him credit for. Small, and invisible in the eyes of the adult folk, Tobias seemed to be a rather skilled smuggler.

It was a fairly transposable skill to have, the Wisp considered. One to consider, for the future.

As the package was opened, the assassin laughed, and looked at Aodh with a small shake of her head when Tobias’ escaped to find a skillet.

“And to think, this kid was just hiding away in the How, barely a blip on anyones radar. A true gem in the coals.” As the boy returned and passed the bread and cheese to Aodh to divide, Alyssa sat up a bit taller and relaxed, genuinely at ease among new friends.

I traded it for one of these.

Looking down at the dusty bottle—honestly where did the kid keep all this, he was barely more than a beanpole!—the Wisp took it and looked it over with a considerate frown.

“You found this, in the upstairs lot?” She said with an impressed tone, running a thumb over the label to remove more of the dust from it, listening to Tobias’ suggestion with the same frown. Her gaze swung to Aodh as he spoke up, not nodding in agreement just yet. She placed the bottle down carefully, taking the food from the boy and carefully taking a bite.

It was embarassing enough to say she almost rolled her eyes with delight. Gods, it had been so song since she’d had a good link like this.

Chewing thoughtfully, the brunette listened to Firebrand, her mind mulling over the ideas presented by her associates. Tobias, thinking of resources and operations, fresh eyes and a youthful vision of the future. Aodh, building their connections and their strength, the voice of the people. She swallowed, licking lamb grease from her thumb and sucking on her teeth.

“Making brew, it’s a tricky business. Need stills, safe ones. Vats for fermenting. Filtration. The wrong set up can blow us sky high, literally. And folks to run them. And resources. Wheat, or potatoes, for the most part. And water. Once we got that, we’ll need to think about ventilation. This place is pretty well for that in the most part. Might need some adjustments. Storage, work areas, sleeping areas.” Wiping the corner of her mouth with the back of her hand, Alyssa nodded slightly at Aodh.

“Crew need to be brought in, trusted, guided. And kept in line. Need somewhere to rest, weapons, food, drink. Need to be taught and armed. Need to do more than just fight. Gotta be part of something bigger, gotta be everyones’ effort, not just one man. Or woman. Or boy.” She took some of the cheese, nibbling at it before taking another bite of the sausage and bread. Humming, Alyssa put the food down in her lap and dusted her hands of crumbs as she finished her mouthful.

“I’m no one’s chief, not again.” The assassin said quietly, her brow creased with a small reflection of the anger and hurt she held in her chest for the moment, though she wasn’t quite ready to face it. Her brow softened as she looked between the two of them.

“The Resistance is supposed to be about removing the oppression of those in power, about creating equality. Let’s make sure we’re practicing what we preach.” Alyssa looked at Aodh.

“Firebrand, you should be that guide for those who come to us to help the cause. A…Captain of sorts? Bring them onboard, watch over them, vouch for them. Build a crew, a people’s army.” Turning her gaze to Tobias, the brunette gestured at the meal and the drink.

“Egg, all of this requires a skill that not many people have. There’s kids, like you, out there. Waiting for someone to extend a hand and offer them a way out, a chance to change their future. I have faith, that you could be that someone. You could teach them how to squirrel resources, and give some direction on how to be invisible in plain sight. I can teach you as well, how to move in shadows. How to protect yourselves. With help, would you be our quartermaster? The one who looks after our supplies and our provisions, and how we improve them?” Smiling, the assassin glanced around the space and it’s meagre gathering of people quitely keeping to themselves, unsure of their place in the world at the moment.

“I don’t want to lead anyone, but you’re both right. We’re here for a reason, and these people need guidance. But, if we’re going to have leadership in this cell, it’s going to be together or not at all. Yeah?” She looked back at them both, waiting for their responses.
​​
Aodh Elzo
Topics: 14
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:01 am

69 Roalis, 2720
THE DIVES | EVENING

'I'm no one's chief' The Wisp’s words resonated in Firebrand's mind and he nodded solemnly. She was right, this wasn't about individuals, or who was in charge, this was about the people. 

"Aye, you're right. Then I'm right honoured to call you comrade."

He looked at Egg and nodded.

"That goes for you too Egg, we're comrades and more than that. The Resistance is my tribe now, an' we're doin' this a for chance that them that come after us might be free."

He took a long drag on his pipe and twin plums of blue grey smoke rose from his nostrils and curled around his next words.

"We all have our part, ye chen? And we can all learn from each other. That counts for everyone else we bring in."

Firebrand stood then, his shadow cast behind him by the small fire, was huge and black on the cracked wall behind him.

"If we get bogged down in worrying who's in charge and who has the power then notin' will get done, nothin'll change. Hells we'd be no better than a poxy parliament of jent toffs."

He shook his head, sharp featured face twisted in a sneer of disgust at the thought. Then he turned his sharp grey eyes to The Wisp, a look of solemn pride on his face.

"But you want someone to inspire folks, point um in the right direction. Be a guide rather than a leader, then I'd be right proud to do it. Comrade."

The light from the fire was reflected in Firebrand's eyes as he smiled at The Wisp and then at Egg. 

There were only a few of them now, but that would change, he could feel it. He had plans, plans that would shake this city.

Firebrand sat back down then gestured at Egg with the broken stem of his clay pipe, a grin on his face.

"So Egg, you fancy comin'a recruiting wit' me, comrade?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information