[Memory] Unfamiliar Faces

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:11 am

Soot District The Dives
Early Evening on the 30th of Dentis, 2719
T
he cold hurt. It ached through his hands. He’d put on a pair of patchy gloves, and over that another pair with the fingers out — both made for a natt, rumpled and baggy; too big, bafflingly big, though they’d’ve been too small for the hands he used to have. Still he rubbed warmth into the joints with stiff, shaky thumbs.

The corner where Wilkes met Cross was crowded enough, on a market day, but the bustle was thinning out toward the evening. Not much sunlight trickled in overhead, where the old buildings leaned to put their heads together.

Tom’d got what he came for; the little paper bundle was tucked into one voluminous pocket of his coat. For now, he reckoned, that was good enough. His head ached, a dull throb from the base of his skull.

He took a pina few seconds to lean against the cool, damp brick outside the cobbler’s, to shiver into his coat and rest his head back and light a smoke. Nearby, a little dark-headed lad in a scuffed-up apron was shining an old tsat’s shoes. Tom studiously ignored him, but he caught the lad looking at him, once or twice, and out of the corner of his eye, he thought he looked nervous.

Well, let him stare.

He let his eyes flutter shut. It was dark, then, broken up by the darker dark of passersby, the drifting motes of floaters. He held his cigarette to his lips with trembling fingers, and breathed out more smoke into the foggy air; he thought of the factories belching out white smog against the dark sky.

It was better than Uptown, anyway, even though his whole body ached, unused to the labor he was putting it to. Anything was better than Uptown; he didn’t want to remember those first weeks.

He knew he got the occasional look, usually at the scraping brush of his porven field. He was used to it, by now, laoso to say. He’d pulled a dark wool hat over his head, but more than a few red curls escaped from underneath, shot through with silvery grey at the temples, and his jaw was dusted with coppery stubble. He was a good few heads shorter than most of the kov, and even the chip, who went this way; he hoped to the gods he passed for a tsat, but he reckoned he’d’ve been the golliest-looking wick ever came this way.

His coat swallowed him whole, patch-elbowed and threadbare, and between drags he huffed warmth into the turned-up collar in vain. He shifted his narrow shoulders in it, shivering, frowning deeply.

Because even with his eyes shut, he could feel it. Even with his hands covered up in gloves, he knew they weren’t his. Even with the early Vortas chill stinging his face half-numb, he could feel the bizarre landscape of it. He could feel the mona around him, as strange and grating to him as he was to them, scraping at his nerves in a way he couldn’t describe.

None of it was the kind of shit he was equipped to describe, and being honest, that was benny enough. Tom hoped he’d never have to describe it; he sure as flooding hell didn’t like thinking about it, and he was doing everything in his power to keep from thinking much at all.

He’d had some to drink, and it helped, but the headache wasn’t easing; the headache never eased, these days. Grimacing, without opening his eyes, he reached deep in one pocket for his flask. He found it quick enough, the dented metal chill through his thin gloves. But he didn’t take it; instead, his brows drew together, and his lip curled back from his teeth.

Something else was missing. He fumbled round in that pocket, and found only his flask; he fumbled round in the other and found his matchbox, a couple of ratty hair ties — now he did open his eyes, patting down his coat, reaching into the inside pocket and finding nothing but a handful of pennies.

No flooding wallet. No mistake, neither; wasn’t many places it could be. Blinking, he looked about him on the street. A carriage rattled by, through the mist, disappearing quick. Two nattles, laughing, one young and one old, one with a basket over her arm and one cradling her belly. A big kov, a docker by the looks of him, bustling by with a spring in his step. Tom’s eyes alighted on each, and jumped to the next, helpless.

The suspicious shoe-shiner. Tom jerked his head to look at the lad, and, for the first time, light grey eyes met dark. Tom’s eyes narrowed, and his thin lips twisted.

“Vrunta! Hey, hey!” he growled, just as the lad started moving.

The sound of the voice — too deep, too… old — not me, everything in him screamed, not me, somebody else — sent a jolt through him, so he froze, like a startled deer. By the time he recovered himself, he could see the lad slipping round a corner. “Godsfuckindamnfloodit,” he muttered, “shitshit—” He tossed down the cigarette, ground it out with the heel of his boot, and set off after him, stiff on his aching hip.

His heart hammering in his ears, he managed to keep up with the lad halfway down an alleyway, though he’d nearly slipped in some laoso slush twice, and the shoe-shiner was rabbit-fast. But he lunged and grabbed him by the shoulder, bony thin fingers digging in through his gloves.

“You,” he snapped.
Last edited by Tom Cooke on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Oliver Callagan
Topics: 11
Race: Passive
Writer: Sigil

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:33 pm

-

Olyver sat on a three-legged stool by the side of the road, a collection of dirty rags slung over his shoulder, some brushes and shoe-shine collected in a dented bucket between his legs, and a small sign at his side listed prices. A fort for a quick scrub, a hat for a wax, a tally for a larger size boot and twice that for the deluxe treatment. Nobody ever took the deluxe treatment, not even gollies whose pockets exploded with coin. At best they graced him with a disdainful look and moved on. Humans weren’t so picky, but they made up for it with greed. Not a day went by without one trying to negotiate a better price, or preaching their dissatisfaction when he refused to meet their demands.

In that regard, Elay was a breath of fresh air. The human boy came up to his side with a gap-toothed grin on his face and held up four fingers.

Four?” Olyver mouthed in disbelief.

“Uh-huh,” breathed Elay. The boy combed his fingers through his dirty blonde hair and squinted at the stream of unsuspecting passersby. “You?”

“Just the one,” sighed Olyver. He reached into the inner coat of his pocket and grazed the small, scuffed wallet with his fingertips as if to make sure it was still really there.

“One isn’t bad,” said Elay, flashing a smile. Perhaps that was how he’d managed to swipe so many people in one day, he could melt old widower's hearts by just looking at them.

“Are they heavy?”

Elay bobbed his bony shoulders. "The usual, some forts, couple tallies…" The boy's voice trailed off, his features tensing like a cat about to jump a bird. Olyver followed his gaze to a shabby looking man across the street in oversized clothes, his face hidden behind a puff of smoke, but his features distinctly galdori.

Elay's lips settled into a frown. "What's he doing here?"

"Don't know, but I wouldn't-"

Elay had already strutted halfway across the street, hands stuffed into his pockets, when a man put his boot down on the log placed before Olyver and obscured his vision.

"I'm in a hurry boch, so make it quick," said the wick. He'd barely grown a stubble yet and his ill-fitting top hat sprouted dark, messy strands of hair. Olyver wouldn't be surprised if the wick kept a stolen ham under his hat, but kept his opinion to himself.

"Pay's upfront," said Olyver.

He expertly caught the coin tossed at him and safely tucked it away with the others. He fished a broad, stiff horse-hair brush from his bucket of tools and set to scrubbing the dirt caked to the leather boots off.

"D'you know where the nearest tavern is? I could do with something with a kick to it in this floodin' cold."

Olyver cocked his head to the left, down the street. "Blake's cheapest, but there's usually fighting. Peterson's the same way, just a block further, but he's half mad and won't shut up if you let him talk."

The wick nodded and exchanged his right for for his left, permitting Olyver a glimpse of the strange galdor across the street.

He nearly dropped the brush from his hands. Amid the sea of pompous faces Olyver had been introduced to by his proud parents, Anatole Vauquelin's countenance had burned itself into his memory. He'd always thought the man looked a bit like a rat, and he looked twice that part now, draped in dishevelled clothes yet still managing a cold, disdainful look.

"You ain't scrubbing," said the wick.

Olyver mumbled a quick apology and kept his head down. If Anatole was here, his father could be close, and if his father found him…

The wick switched boots again for polishing. It was definitely Anatole across the street. But where was Elay? He prayed to whoever was listening that the boy hadn't stolen from Anatole Vauquelin, or drawn any unwanted attention to himself.

Too late.

Their eyes locked, anger in one pair and fear in the other's. Olyver dropped his tools and jumped up. The wick exclaimed something that he didn't understand, didn't care for. All that mattered was getting away. His hurried steps sent loud echoes cascading down the streets. Some folk parted in time to let him through, others stumbled or hit the ground as he bumped past, feet slipping on the cobbles. A voice called after him, a dog tied to a lantern before Blake's barked and snapped at his ankle but missed. The voice sounded again. Anatole's voice, closer this time.

The wind stabbed at his throat, set his lungs on fire as threw himself into a dingy alley, hoping to hell that he'd shaken the galdor off. Still he didn't stop, didn't look back. He knew the dives like the inside of his pockets and if he could get up the ladder at the side of the warehouse. If only-

Tripping over his own feet he reached out, touched the cold rung, pulled up and-

-was yanked back, rendered weightless for a moment as his feet hit air instead of stone. His back bumped into something hard, something cold, something angry that stabbed its fingers into his shoulders. "Let me go!"

He slammed his elbow into the man's gut, stomped at his feet, writhed and pulled, and fought, but lost every inch he won within a moment's notice. Even when he'd nearly shrugged off his overcoat and left the man with only a fistful of fabric, the rat was on to him until he ceased all his efforts abruptly and spun around, scorching the man with dark little eyes. "Did my father send you? If you think I'm going to come with you-"

A clenched little fist shot up toward Anatole's cheek.
Last edited by Oliver Callagan on Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Cooke

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Soot District The Dives
F
loodin’ hell!”

He yanked his coat away, but he heard cloth tear, and he felt the snapping jaws graze his calf. “Shit,” he snarled, fumbling at the torn, damp fabric of his trousers. The dog barked, a lance through his skull, but he didn’t have time to look back. A chain rattled. He staggered; he limped on, jostling a woman out of his way, ducking underneath a tall natt kov and getting a meaty elbow in the shoulder.

Still moving, wrangling his way through, ducking and dodging, he skimmed the crowd with his eyes. It would’ve been easier if he could’ve seen over — he cursed under his breath again, laoso bitter. There was no point thinking of that.

The streets were slick, and Tom could put one foot in front of the other on a good day; the pina rat was skittering, just a glimpse of a battered overcoat, now just beyond his fingertips, now darting round the hem of a dress or the bulky shape of a docker. Tom’d been born to streets like these, but he wasn’t the man he used to be. He tried to throw his weight, but there wasn’t much to throw.

The boch went sideways, slid like a shadow into a narrow alleyway. Tom thought he’d lost him, but he saw the hem of his coat slip round the dingy brick; and in cutting the corner, he got just close enough. One hand darted out —

Tom gagged, the breath knocked out of him. Only then did he feel a sharp pain in his belly. He gagged, then wheezed, and his hand flinched and nearly let go.

My fucking money, he thought, my thrice-flooded money! He snorted a breath through his nose and grit his teeth. He held onto his fistful of grubby fabric. He wasn’t himself anymore, but this little laoso wasn’t big enough to throw his weight round, neither. He writhed and wriggled, and Tom felt the sharp edge of an elbow here, a knee there; the lad was trying to wriggle out of his coat. Tom held on anyway, finding the shape of one skinny arm to wrangle back.

Somewhere under the roar of his headache, he wondered why the hell he was doing this for a godsdamn wallet. How much’d been in the battered thing, anyway? He’d have bruises a-plenty by the time this was over; he could feel the pulled muscles, the ache up through his hip. Would’ve been easy to shake down a little flooder like this, once, but now he was out of breath and hurting in everything he had. Was like holding onto a moony banderwolf.

The lad whirled. Even then, Tom couldn’t make himself let go. He forced himself to focus on the beady, glittering little eyes, sharp enough to draw sap. His face knotted with confusion.

Did my father send you?

What the fuck?

Tom didn’t have time to figure it out, ‘cause then there was a bony fist in his face. He felt it crack across his jaw, stinging numb. “Fuck!” He spluttered blood, fumbling; he grabbed out with his free hand and found a skinny wrist, whipcord-fast. He managed to hold onto it, but only just.

He tried to speak and just spat out more sap. He licked his split lip and tasted blood. That’d sure as hell bruise, but he didn’t think his jaw’d broke. “Godsdamn it, would you stop,” he breathed, working his jaw and wincing, “for one floodin’ second?”

His vision was bleary with tears. He blinked them away, his eyes burning, and squinted at the angry little face. He’d bit his tongue, and it was starting to swell. His words came out slushy.

“I don’t know who the fuck’s your da,” he snapped. “I break my back an’ risk losin’ my fingers all floodin’ week in the Soots, an’ it ain’t t’ lose all my ging t’ you, you little shit. Where is it? Where’s my fuckin’ money?”
Last edited by Tom Cooke on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Callagan

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:49 pm

-

His victory lasted for all of two seconds. Then came the numb, swollen feeling on his knuckles soon followed by the astonishing sound of a voice breaking, snapping, rising and falling and frothing. It was like hearing a cat bark or a mouse purr, so predisposed was Anatole's voice to snide remarks that Olyver had never conceived of it sounding positively furious. He ceased his efforts then, not by a sense of youthful obedience or, good heavens, a sense of obligation toward an older, wiser man, but merely because his mind couldn't equate what he was seeing with what he was hearing.

That shock of red on the man's head, laced with gray; that sharp, upturned nose, those downturned lips locked in grim, deep grooves carved on the sides of his chin, there could be no mistake that this man was Anatole Vauquelin. Olyver knew the face regrettably well, the harsh encouragement he'd received from it still resounded in his mind. I should hope you study well and become a great man like your father, you're blessed to have him as your rolemodel. The remark had aged about as well as the man who'd once uttered it in-between blowing a pungent breath in his face. Now there was something equally foul on his breath, heavy and dizzying, the smell of Blake's around the thirtieth bell, when every ingrate that had managed to secure a drink was now pissing it away in the alley behind the cheap tavern. It smelled like quick money to him. Drunks made easy targets.

Was that the explanation? Had the once upstanding citizen Anatole Vauquelin burned all his money on expensive bourbons, champagnes, wines, specialty ales and gutter oil? From the slur in his speech it was easy to think so, except nothing about Anatole had remotely hinted at being a raging alcoholic, not that Olyver could remember anyway, and he'd come to know the type fairly well. Something was certainly amiss, the one twitching eye was the stuff of nightmares, but it wasn't drunkenness, or not just drunkenness at the very least.

His wrist grew limp in the man's cold, bony hand. "What do you mean you don't know him? Of course you know him, you've worked with him, you're still working with for all I know!" The heat had dissipated from his voice, replaced by cold, shunning, disbelief. "I don't have your money, I wish I had, I'd have bought myself a nice home with it instead of wasting it on booze and whatever you call this…" He grabbed a fistful of the man's threadbare clothes, nearly ripping a new hole into the already damaged fabric. "You're going to let me go and no one will ever know that you were skipping around the dives like a slum bum, and you don't say a word to my father, and we'll swear it both on Alioe and never ever mention it again."

He might have been less bold if he hadn't felt the weakness in Anatole's arms. He'd feared the man once, but that was years ago, when he'd been a pale, fleeting thing, barely strong enough to press a key on the saloon piano. Now the bureaucrat had only a few inches on him, and it was no longer a given that the older man would win if it came to blows.
Tom Cooke

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:55 pm

Soot District The Dives
W
orked with him?” Tom’s face was a knot of pain and confusion. The boch was staring fire, just about fit to burn holes in him. Tom was staring, too, but the anger was fading off his face — replaced by something a mant manna more like fear. His lip twisted. He spat blood, then, and used his free hand to wipe his bloody lip off on his sleeve. He started, “I don’t know what you’re…”

But it was low, a half-hearted slur, and the boch’s voice went right over it, sharp and tsuter. “Hey,” snapped Tom as the little laoso got a fistful of his shirt, nearly tearing the threadbare fabric with his grubby fingers.

Sometime, something’d reversed. Now, it wasn’t Tom with a fistful of some pickpocket kid’s coat, shaking him ‘til his wallet came out; now, the kid wasn’t even trying to get away. He wasn’t sure he was sold on the idea he hadn’t taken his money, but there was more to this than a stolen wallet. His eyes went even wider when the boch spoke again. He was trying to flooding bargain.

There was anger in Tom’s face, now, oes, but fear, too: plain-writ and loud in the pinched lines, the whites of his eyes, the lips pressed thin and parchment-white. It was the tense, paranoid look of a scared dog that’s about to snap. His eyes flicked over the lad’s face, flicked over the lad, rapid, trying to make sense of what he saw. He didn’t say anything for a long few moments.

My father, he said. Who the fuck would his father be? He was a scrawny lad, oes, but he wasn’t a galdor, and he hadn’t said his father’d worked for him; an incumbent didn’t work with some natt. Tom blinked. It had to be a mistake.

His hand tightened round his wrist, even though he wasn’t struggling anymore. “I don’t know what you think you know about me,” he started, then paused.

Ne, not a mistake. He started to put it together in his head. The little opportunist’d seen a skinny, golly-looking redhead slumming it; he’d thought him a benny mark, pocketed his wallet thinking it’d have a fair manna more ging in it than it did. Now he’d caught him, he was playing the second round. It might’ve even worked, if Tom’d been a golly slumming it, and a flooding mung besides.

That didn’t change the danger of it. After his run-in with that hatcher of an auntie, he wasn’t taking any chances. Had the kov been following him? Did he know where he was hiding out? How the hell much did he know? How long of a game was he in this for? Tom looked him up and down again, weighing his chances.

Tom’s split lip curled back from bloodied teeth. “Listen, you little shit, you got some godsdamn nerve,” he growled, “but I ain’t fuckin’ round, you hear me?” His voice was low; he inclined his head and looked the lad in the eye, one to the other. He didn’t blink, save the twitch and flutter of his left eyelid. “You got a tsuter sharp head on you, but I was a lad in Sharkswell. This ain’t a floodin’ game today. You rat to the green, you’re goin’ to find out fair quick what kind of man I am, an’ who I call brunno. Ye chen?”
Last edited by Tom Cooke on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Callagan

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 pm

-

There was blood now. Thick and syrupy like resin, only shaded red and mingling with foamy spittle, dripping from the corner of Anatole’s mouth before it was sucked up and spat to the side. Somehow he’d never imagined someone like Anatole capable of bleeding, much less spitting, much less wiping his mouth-

Olyver turned his head away from the man’s foul breath. Whatever he thought he knew about Anatole was being destroyed before his very eyes. The man was no longer a toffin, or perhaps he’d never been one, Olyver couldn’t tell, he’d only met him two times before and seen him in passing a few more times than that. He screwed up his face, trying to make sense of it all.

Was the man even called Anatole? Perhaps he was dealing with Anatole’s outcast twin, or an imposter of some kind, yet the resemblance was too uncanny for either of those to be the case. But why did Anatole seem equally frightened and confused? Had his eye always twitched like that?

Olyver’s eyes flicked over to his right. A dead end. Left then?. That would be plain stupid. People had seen him go by the first time, might think to intervene if he returned the way he’d come. His eyes rolled skyward, that was his only way out. Few would be daft enough to go up a corroded ladder only to enter a narrow, slippery gutter with a steeply slanted roof to one side and a gaping abyss to the other, but the alternative was worse.

Olyver hissed between his teeth when Anatole squeezed his wrist. “Let go of me!”

If only he could wrench himself free, duck low to the ground, shoot between the man’s legs. But Anatole’s grip was iron-clad, and his threats made the pale hairs in his neck stand on end. “I know who you are,” he breathed, his voice laced with concern, “you’re Anatole Vauquelin, you’ve been at my house! I- I won’t tell anyone!” he was quick to add.

He would’ve never guessed that the great Anatole Vauquelin was from Sharkswell. Didn’t know much about the place other than all the bad people he’d ever met were from there. He searched his memories for any clues that the Anatole he’d met before was a bloodthirsty brute who could cuss like a sailor, but drew a blank. “I don’t have your wallet, honest, I just-” he averted his gaze, sucked in a deep breath and sighed. “You came chargin’ at me and I don’t want to be locked up or sent to Br-” his jaw snapped shut and he cursed inwardly. He might just as well let Anatole drag him to the Seventen if he was going to make slips like that!

“...Briggs,” he recovered breathlessly, “where they sent Jonny Briggs, the madhouse down King’s.” Something started to burn behind his eyes. He tried to blink it away, tried to keep his gaze steady, didn’t explain why anyone would think to send him to the madhouse, just nodded and prayed that he would wake up with a jolt, in his own bed in his own room without a sore fist or burning legs. “I- I can get your wallet back,” he squeaked when the man still refused to let him go.
Tom Cooke

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Soot District The Dives
A
t the name Anatole Vauquelin, Tom’s lip curled back over his bloodied teeth, a twitching spasm of a snarl – half anger, half terror. He spat another tangle of slurred curses, but the words just kept pouring out of the boch’s mouth, and there was nothing he could do to put them back or send them away.

Here, he wanted to say, here! Here, of all flooding places! He barely had the room in his head to think why Incumbent fucking Vauquelin’d be in some natt’s house; he couldn’t come up with the words to ask how some urchin would recognize an Uptown councilman’s face, anyway. What, had he shined his shoes once? Was his da some servant in the old golly’s house? It didn’t fit together; none of it made a lick of sense.

There was so much to unravel here, and he couldn’t get his shaky fingers round a single thread of whatever yarn this toft was giving him.

But more words poured, inexorable, into the space between them, and the twist of anger and fear slid slowly off his face. He didn’t know this new face well enough to know what had replaced it; he knew only that he felt slack, like somebody’d pricked him with a needle and let all the air out of him.

He kept his hand clamped round the boch’s wrist ’cause he didn’t know what else to do, just then. He was frozen, searching the boch’s face with wide eyes.

“Briggs,” he repeated into the sudden quiet. “Right.” You’re a flooding scrap, he didn’t say.

With his free hand, he scratched his jaw, looking down and away. That was fear – proper fear – on the lad’s face, he realized; he didn’t know why he hadn’t seen it earlier. He didn’t know why he hadn’t put two and two together. But there were scrawny human bochi enough, and you never knew, not really.

He felt a sudden burst of fear, and his eyes darted again to the lad’s face. He’d just tackled a flooding scrap in an alleyway. Couldn’t they blow up, if you got ’em riled?

The word the little scrap hadn’t said – Brunnhold – echoed through his head, and he frowned, his brow furrowing. “Listen, lad,” he rasped, his voice softer. “You ain’t goin’ nowhere like that, hey? Hey? If I got anythin’ to do with it. I ain’t a floodin’ dobber.”

His grip loosened on the lad’s wrist; not much, but enough those bony fingers of Anatole’s weren’t digging in like a house hingle trap anymore. He blinked a few times, watching the boch’s face, then frowned.

“I don’t want to end up at Lady Alto, neither, you understand?” His voice was even lower, just a scratch in his throat. He cursed himself; he heard the uneven, hoarse, pleading note. He knew he was afraid, too.

He glanced over his shoulder briefly, at the mouth of the alleyway, the evening crowd turned shadows flitting through the smog. He remembered the way the scrap’d looked up and about, like he was weighing his options, figuring which escape route was best.

“Forget the wallet.” Tom shook his head. He tried a smile, but he didn’t think it was too convincing. “You know somethin’ about me, about –” With his free hand he gestured shakily at his face, at himself. “I’ll let you go – I don’t want no trouble – but maybe we can help each other, lad.”
Oliver Callagan

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:08 pm

-

If Anatole had really been Anatole, he might've known that the word listen often had the opposite effect on the youngest Callagan, even before he'd been made to live on the streets. Oliver couldn't stop the words pouring out of his mouth, couldn't help saying a half-hearted apology, couldn't help a breathless plea, couldn't help the snarky remark that he couldn't go anywhere because Anatole was holding him. It wasn't until Anatole intervened with a 'hey!' that Oliver snapped out of it. A heat rose to his cheeks. He was making things worse, wasn't he? Why did he always make things worse, why couldn't he just have shut up?

He wasn't sure if he quite believed anything Anatole said, but the way he talked gave him a little hope at least. It seemed the man had secrets too, the state he was in being the most obvious. A prim and proper councilman reduced to a bum in ill-fitting, tattered clothes? Oliver vaguely wondered what his father would think of it all. Would he discard his business associate as easily as he'd discarded his own flesh and blood? His mother would enjoy the scandal of it all, that much was for sure and certain.

But Anatole had more surprises up his frayed sleeves. What kind of mung didn't want his money back? And what did he mean about helping each other?

Oliver opened and closed his mouth a few times, but he was stunned into silence. All of him seemed to slacken as he leaned back against the damp warehouse wall. "Who are you?" he asked breathlessly. And then, "I don't think I can help with much of anything... "

His eyes flicked to the side again, and he knew how what it must've looked like to Anatole. "I won't run," said Oliver, his voice low and flat, "but this is a bad place." Surely in the minds of the galdori, every corner of the Soot district was a bad place, but they couldn't tell the bad from the dangerous, and this place was firmly in the latter category.
Last edited by Oliver Callagan on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tom Cooke

Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Soot District The Dives
I
don’t –”

Tom’s breath was coming hoarse, too. His grip’d slackened on the scrap’s wrist; he was barely holding on, now, and if he’d wanted to wrestle away and make a run for it, Tom couldn’t’ve stopped him.

He’d watched the kid screw his face up like he had more to say, and he’d watched, with every word that’d come out of his mouth, as everything drained away. Everything but shock. It was written in the slack face, in the mouth that kept opening and shutting. And – after a long pause, full of the distant burble of the busy street, the drip-drip of water somewhere in the dank alleyway – the breathless question.

Careful-like, more than a little distrustful, Tom let go of his wrist. He swallowed sorely, studying the scrap through narrowed eyes. “I don’t know how to explain it, lad,” he said after another moment. “I am him an’ I ain’t him – jus’ – I don’t know.”

His chest ached. All of him ached, and the Vortas chill stung his cheeks, and now his head’d caught up to him, he felt all of it. He’d never get used to it, this hummingbird-fluttering heart, and it was banging on his ribcage fit to fly out. He ran shaky fingers through his tangled, unfamiliar curls, swallowing bile. He tried to force himself to breathe evenly.

Through the rushing in his ears, he could hear the lad talking. He nodded, raising a thin hand, trying to think. “Fuckin’ laoso place,” he agreed, looking back up at him.

Being honest, Tom should’ve noticed it before; it wasn’t that he sounded Uptown, exactly – leastways, not like Tolly’s ilk – but he didn’t sound Dives, neither. It was more, Tom thought, the lack of an accent. It was the evenness of his vowels, how he didn’t leave off consonants. He pronounced every word so you could understand it, nothing more or less, and Tom couldn’t think if he’d heard a single word of Tek out of his mouth.

But whatever he was, scrap or natt, wherever he’d come from originally, the lad had been on the streets long enough to look the part. Tom’d been a lad on the streets himself, albeit different streets; still, he knew a meal wasn’t easy to come by.

Nodding again, he reached into his pocket, and – muttered a curse between his teeth.

He fished out a few grubby coins. “Listen, I feel like shit,” he said, raising an eyebrow, “on account of the whole shakin’ down a boch that ain’t got my wallet after all rubbish. I got a few forts an’ a couple tallies, an’ I reckon that’s enough for us to split some hingle fry at Brennan’s stall.”

He paused, sucking at a tooth. “You don’t got to do nothin’,” he added. “I ain’t a dobber, whatever else I am. You make a break for it right now, I ain’t tellin’ a soul I saw you here, an’ I ain’t goin’ after you. Long as you ain’t tellin’ nobody you saw me.”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information