[PM to Join] Sorry I set your cat on fire

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Oliver Callagan
Topics: 11
Race: Passive
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Sigil
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:43 am

40th Yaris 2719

All along the outskirts of Vienda a litter of tents, covered wagons and fire pits rotated with the seasons, sometimes hugging the city walls, sometimes further out. The Sep kuatanos never stayed in one place for long, but Olyver had an uncanny talent for finding them, when they didn’t get to him first. Hands stuffed in his pockets, he passed two, big, wolfish-looking dogs without collars on them that only wasted a passing glance on him. A Tyat in his twenties with twinkling eyes and patchy hair looked up from a game of cards and waved him over.

“I had a funny feelin’ I’d be seeing you today, Olly-boy,” said Djika.

He’d never liked that name, but good luck trying to make a wick change their ways.

“Is Brennan around?” Olyver asked.

Everybody who was anybody knew Brennan the Broker, though his real name was some guttural wick garbage that Olyver had given up trying to pronounce. One of Djika’s companions looked up from his cards with a cutting smile. His flowing hair draped over his skeletal frame like a blanket and he’d put his boots up on a big, heavy chest that also served as their table.

“Straight to business, eh?”

“You could join us Olly,” Djika grinned. “It’s easy, everyone gets seven cards to start-”

Olyver shook his head. “Maybe later.” That’s short for never. There wasn’t any game in existence he could win against Djika or any of the Sep kuatanos until he could convince one of them to teach him their sleight of hand. Would probably have to get one of them stupidly drunk to make them spill their secrets. Maybe later.

“Your loss then.” Djika groaned, put his cards under the log he’d been sitting on and beckoned for Olyver to follow. Within a minute they’d made it passed four dogs, several armed lookouts and into a large, round tent decorated by a madman. Yet whoever bought the junk Brennan collected had to be at least twice as mad, unless one happened to be looking for a shriveled head in a jar, some fermented lentils, a pearlescent broche and a variety of embalming fluids. The stacks of books and cages and chests reached so high that the tent’s interior was practically a maze.

“Your tallyboy s’here,” Djika called into the tent. Some grunting and shuffling later, Brennan emerged, dressed in hideous fur coat that smelled of smoke and deceased moths, fingering a heavy golden chain around his neck. He squinted at Olyver, curled one ring-laden wrinkled finger and said in that deep, full voice of his:

“You’re not bringing more spitch, are ye?”

That was Olyver's cue to unload. First thing he put on the counter (which was really just the least disorganised stack of books) was a pocket snuff box, fashioned from shell. Unfortunately it was marked with the initials H.M and empty, but otherwise in good condition. Second was a handkerchief, unmarked and finely made. Not the most valuable, but an easy sell at least. He put down a few more small items he’d fished out of unsuspecting pockets and purses until he arrived at his best: three rings, two silver, one gold and encrusted with a gemstone.

Brennan’s wrinkled features deepened as he fashioned a magnifying glass from his coat’s inner pocket. “Where’d you get these, boch?”

“Found ‘em.”

The wick scoffed. “Found ‘em.

“That’s what I said.”

“Like erse you found ‘em," Brennan countered. He only had eyes for the rings now, picking each up, holding them against the light and scanning them with his dusty magnifying glass.

“As if you care-”

“Some o’ these are hot, boch,” Brennan cut in. “Can’t imagine there’s many people called Camillia Humfrey what’s married- let’s see, in summer of ‘14?”

Olyver barely caught the golden ring as it was flicked back at him.

“I can get you three shills for the lot, and that’s generous.”

Brennan the Broker was many things, but generous wasn’t one of them.

“That’s basically theft! I might as well give it all away...”

Brennan snorted loudly. “That’s rich coming from you, you crafty little bastard, you can take the one shill or-”

One?”

“You borrowed some last time, remember? Begged me to, said you’d pay me back, so here we are, unless you got more?"

Borrowing from Brennan had to be at least as dumb as buying from him, but he'd needed the coin and had proved himself a reliable enough asset to keep his word. Not that he needed much persuading, Brennan the Broker wasn't just called the Broker because he could strike a good deal. Olyver chewed on his lips. He needed five shills for the rent alone, and at least two more for foodstuffs and medicine for old Anny. “Guess I’ll find someone else,” he sighed after a few seconds, then stepped forward to recollect his haul.

Brennan arched an eyebrow at him, but the rest of his face remained taut. When Olyver had pocketed the last of the rings, the elder wick turned around, indifferent to the boy's plight.

“That went well,” Djika muttered as he led the way out.

“Shut up,” Olyver grumbled. It’d taken almost a full house to get here, only for him to be waved away in mere minutes. Who else could he sell to? Pyke might take the 'chief, but not the rings, and any goldsmith was far more likely to call the authorities on him. But no sooner than he’d set a foot outside, a familiar voice called after him. “Olly my boy, what’s the rush?” It was Brennan. Still in his fur coat, his wide, unnatural smile making him seem twice as insane.

“Djika, get this boch something warm to drink. We’ll talk some more inside, eh?” The old crook swung a heavy arm around Olyver’s shoulder and pulled him back inside. “I’ve got just the way you could make up the difference to me…listen close.”

The bells tolled the 30th hour when he got up from behind a crumbling wall, trudged through some bushes, and shook the stiffness from his limbs like a dog shaking the rain from its furs. The lights in Woven Delights had dimmed hours ago, but he’d waited until he was certain every last curtain in the lonely street had been drawn. Brennan had only explained the essentials to him: he was to go around the shop and go through a backdoor that he insisted would be open. Within a minute he'd reached an alleyway that led to a solid wood door hanging askew in its hinges.

OK. I can do this. In and out.

He unhooked a dimmed lantern from his belt, opened it ever so slightly and held it out before him. The handle gave way without a sound, but the old hinges let out an agonising squeak when he opened the door and slipped inside. The room was dark as a crypt and smaller then he'd expected the shop to be. It didn't take long for him to discover he hadn't made it to the main shop area just yet, another door stood between him and it.

Please be open...

This one's hinges were better maintained. The door opened with a sigh and revealed a room lined with various kinds of fabrics. He didn't linger to take in the sight, though he couldn't deny it smelled nice. Homely, in a way.

He adjusted the blinder on the lantern some more, lighting the way as he tip-toed deeper into the shop. When he'd reached the center he rummaged with a small flask on the other side of his belt, pulled the cork loose with his teeth and spilled its contents on the wooden floor.

Brennan the Broker tolerated no competition. The Dives were his spot to sell cheap fabrics, and Ms. Weaver was a threat to that business. She had to make way.

Olyver crouched, the phosphorus flame hung dangerously low over a puddle of spirits. He wondered who owned the shop, and if they'd get out in time…

Something flashed by at the edge of his vision. Startled, he made a sudden turn on his heels and dragged the lantern through the flammable liquids. With a whoosh the floor was set alight, but so was the thing that had darted past. Screeching and hissing a cat fled from the column of fire and smoke, a blur of bright red and orange on its tail. The animal was quick, but Olyver was quicker. He caught the cat with both arms, tackled it to the ground and extinguished its smouldering tail with a flurry of violent pats. The panicked animal clawed at his arm, bit at his fingers and drew blood.

"Aah!"
Olyver was up again. The fire had grown, the cat taken refuge behind the counter and the exit… Smoke filled his view. Where was the door?
Last edited by Oliver Callagan on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:
Ava Weaver
Race: Human
Writer: moralhazard
Post Templates: Plot Notes

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 am

Late Night, 40 Yaris 2719
Woven Delights, The Painted Ladies
I
t had been a normal enough night. Ava had finished her bookkeeping, the careful tallies of coins in and out of the shop, and only once the work was done had she locked the ledger away in the heavy counter of her main office, set away her pen and ink, and carefully doused the lantern flame. Even during the long days of the dry season, her work needed more time than the sun allowed; she hoarded her lamp oil carefully, jealously, but she prized her chores above it.

Ava had shut, carefully, the door which led from the main room outside into the smaller back room. She had slipped behind the hanging curtains on the back wall, and made her careful way up the narrow staircase, to the room above. She had eaten earlier, and so all that remained was to undo the buttons on the back of her dress with her button hook, to carefully wash her face clean of the make up she wore during the day and gently massage a dab of lotion into her skin, to brush out her hair and wind it up into a long braid.

The small room was warm with the Yaris heat, even with the window propped open to let in a light breeze. There was no sign of the small gray cat, but Ava knew that he came and went according to his own designs. She made no demands on him, and knew to be glad for his presence when he did arrive, and not worry for him otherwise.

So it was that Ava climbed alone into bed. She rarely slept well, but tonight it was as if the heat forbade even the faintest approach of sleep. There was too much to think about; there had been for some time. She tossed and turned through it; she smoothed her cheek against the pillow, and did her best to pretend, to little avail, that all was well.

Once, she drifted off; once she heard a dead man’s voice whispering in her ear, and woke in a shuddering, panicked sweat. Ava sighed, then, checked about herself once more for the gray cat, and rose, pulling her light silk dressing gown on over her cotton nightgown. Her hair was a tangled mess about her head, and she undid what remained of her braid, and set about brushing it once more, with careful, even strokes, alone with her reflection at her vanity. Ava set her brush down, carefully, and studied herself in the polished glass. She frowned, softly, and opened her mouth as if to speak -

There was a distant yell - not a hushed voice from the street below drifting in cleanly through the window, the sort Ava knew well, but a sharp muffled cry from below.

Ava set the brush down. She hesitated, only a moment, and then she was running. She went barefoot down the stairs, clinging to the railing. She smelled the smoke the moment she was down below; Ava opened one of the secret cupboards against the wall, and snatched out a pitcher of water.

Flames cast flickering red-bright lights; the smoke was glowing through it, trickling faint dark tendrils into the back room. Ava went through it, and took in the scene wide-eyed; a lantern lay sideways on the floor, flames were pooled in an unnatural puddle, and there was a small boy scrabbling desperately towards the door.

Ava snatched a thick heavy wool from the nearby shelves, and dumped the pitcher of water over it, and set the empty container on her counter. She unwound a length of wet fabric with even, steady hands, snuck up on the flames, and draped the blanket over it. The heat licked at her face and hands, scorched her toes and the soles of her feet, but Ava never hesitated. The wet wool dropped heavily onto the fire; it hissed wetly, and more thick smoke poured out into the room.

The fabrics nearest the puddle were stained with it already; a stand of delicate pale orange silk was crisped with the heat, dark lines rippling through it. Most of the rest seemed to have escaped the flames; none of the racks of fabrics had caught fire. There was no light in the room now, nothing but the faintest pale yellow of streetlights pouring in through a crack in the curtains at her picture window, and seeping in through the door’s edge, illuminating the small boy.

Ava was breathing hard, her chest rising and falling. She steadied herself, smoothly and evenly; panic was never helpful, and fear would not help her now. Adrenaline was pulsing in her veins, and she mastered it, and made her body her own once more.

Ava lifted her gaze slowly to the small boy crouching at her locked door. Her lips pursed, softly, then smoothed out. She wore a simple white cotton nightgown, a pale green silk robe draped over it, the hem scorched by the heat. Her hair was loose, curling and loose over her shoulders, scattered ringlets texturing it. There was nothing on her face; there was no fear, no anger, only a smooth mask. She might have been looking at him on the street; they might have been anywhere.

“Young man,” Ava said firmly, her voice even and calm, “you owe me, at the very least, an explanation.” Her arms crossed slowly over her chest, black-lacquered fingernails tapping softly against smooth silk.

Oliver Callagan

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm

40th Yaris 2719

He owed her more than that. Far more. A woolen blanket, a startled cat, damaged floorboards, singed silks, and that didn't even take into account the fright he must've given her. She was taller than him, even without shoes to lend her an extra half inch, taller and far calmer. With smoke billowing around her she seemed every bit a ghost, the pale white of her nightgown in stark contrast to her dark hair. He didn't answer her, went for the door instead, yanked the handle, threw his shoulder against the wood. The door budged, but didn't give.

He dashed to the side, hand tracing the dark walls for a bump, eyes searching for a slit of light, a way out. There was only darkness and smoke, burning in his eyes, clogging up his throat, turning his run into a clumsy stumble until his back found a wall, or perhaps the counter, he couldn't tell in the dark. She wasn't galdori, was she? He cursed himself. He should've checked before. Not he imagined he'd get away with trying to set the woman's shop on fire, unless...

Unless...

He straightened his back, cleared his throat of smoke and stammered into the dark. "I'm- I'm over here..."

All he could make out through his bleary eyes was a vague shape which might be one of the racks, or a mannequin of sorts, or perhaps the woman. "T-there was an accident," he continued. That part wasn't hard to sell. "I followed your cat, s-see, and he -she? led me inside, but attacked me and then I fell and-" Would she believe him? It seemed unlikely, but it was the only way he could think of getting out of the shop alive. She'd only have to believe him for a little bit, enough to lower her guard, enough for her to light the room properly so he could see which way he'd come and plan his escape.

"-and I'm sorry your cat caught fire, b-but I rescued it!" Was the cat her's even? He dearly hoped it was. Anything that made him look more of a hero and less of a villain was very welcome indeed.

He took a cautious step forward, showed his hands and tried his hardest to imitate her uncanny calm. "I'm sorry if I frightened you, Ms..." That part wasn't even a lie.
Ava Weaver

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:49 pm

T
he boy threw himself frantically against the door, turning the locked handle as if it might open for him from inside. He dashed to the side, crouching against the walls, although there was nothing to find against them but shelf after shelf of fabrics, soft silks and light cotton and heavy wool. It was dark in the shop, but Ava knew the dark contours of her own shelves well, after more than two years, and it wasn’t hard for her to keep track of a small boy, even squinting through the gloom.

Ava watched, quietly. She’d stepped back, and rested a hand on her counter. She was not quite between the boy and the door into the back room; just because he was small didn’t mean he wasn’t dangerous. He was stammering, though; even if the story had been plausible – how could the gray cat possible have gotten into the shop? why would the little boy have followed it into a dark building? how could a fire have started in the middle of her clean floor, with no cloth spilled beneath it? – the trembling in his voice would have given him away. It might have been guilt; Ava could almost have thought so. But she knew something about lies.

The only change came when he said the cat had caught fire. Ava inhaled, sharply, and glanced around, her eyes wide. She took a deep breath, and settled herself again, looking back at the small figure. There was nothing she could do, she told herself, her heart aching in her chest. There was nothing she could do.

The little boy was shifting forward, grubby palms just visible in the pale light from outside. Ava didn’t believe him, not a word; but she knew something about what people could do when cornered, when desperate, and she didn’t know what good it would do to call him on his lies. She would try, Ava thought, a slightly different approach. Liar or not, he was a desperate, frightened boy.

“Oh dear,” Ava said, softly. Her face softened; it wasn’t hard to summon up concern in her eyes or voice; she certainly felt enough of it for the cat. It wasn’t hard to swallow the furious anger burning in her chest; it wasn’t hard at all. “I’m just glad the damage wasn’t too bad. It must have been terribly frightening for you.”

Ava shifted forward, slowly, as well; she reached behind her for the lantern, and eased it forward on the desk. “I’m just going to put some light on,” she said, gently, soothingly.

Carefully, Ava reached behind herself, and opened one of the drawers; she struck a light, and eased her lantern on. A soft pool of light glinted yellow across the desk, over the floor, illuminating her soft, dark eyes, wide and worried, and the graceful lines of her hands.

“Are you hurt?” Ava asked, softly, looking at the young boy. The light didn’t stretch far enough to make out more than the blur of his outlines, the faintest trace of a pinched, worried little face, but it would let him see the open door behind her, the way he must have come in, with the front door still locked. That, Ava thought, bore some consideration; she would need to have someone in to make the side door more secure. These thoughts did not show on her face either; there was only soft concern in the gentle crinkling of her eyes and the worried set of her lips.

Oliver Callagan

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:12 pm

40th Yaris 2719

To his amazement, the woman seemed to fall for his story. Light flooded the room and revealed not some ghostly specter but a woman of flesh and blood with soft, gentle features and a warm voice. He blinked against the light, then slowly lowered his hands until they dropped at his sides. Did she really believe him? Either she was the kindest woman he'd ever met, or she was setting some kind of trap for him. Yet he couldn't see what kind of trap one could make out of offering bandages and ointments.

"A- a little," he stammered. His eyes darted to the backdoor. He could try to bolt past her, reach the door and escape, or he could bide his time and wait for her back to be turned on him before he took the chance.

He stepped forward into the light and showed his right hand, where the cat had scratched and the fire had licked at his skin. It looked worse than it felt, though he figured it might hurt more once he'd made his way out of the shop and slunk back into the darkness. Until that time, he needed to find a way to distract her for the few beats he needed to make it toward the door.

He took another step forward, wiped the distress from his face the best he could and said with the utmost sincerity he could muster: "I'm sorry for the mess... you're not angry with me, are you Miss?"

A blur of motion saw the cat jump up onto the counter top and eyeing him suspiciously. Stupid animal! If that furball hadn't been around he would've finished the job without a hitch... He motioned toward the small pet with his chin. "Does it have a name?"
Ava Weaver

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:41 pm

T
he light gleamed in the whites of the boy’s wide eyes; they darted from side to side, and Ava thought she saw him looking at the back door. He came forward, slowly. He had delicate features, dark hair; he was smaller than Ava might have guessed from his voice, and it was hard to tell his age. All the same, he looked genuinely frightened. His hand was bloody and swelling lightly beneath; burnt, likely, Ava thought. She didn’t look down at the smoldering mess he’d made of her floor.

Ava managed a soft, friendly smile when the boy asked if she was angry. “No, not angry,” Ava promised, and she knew well how sincere she looked. “Do you think you might help me clean it up? I have a salve that will help with your hand first, if you like.” In the light, she could see the edges of blistering; she suspected it would look worse with the blood cleaned up, even if the scratches weren’t much.

There was motion out of the corner of her eye. It took everything Ava had not to cry out in relief. The little gray cat was perched on the counter top, ears back, fur bristling as he looked at the little boy. Ava heard him hiss, softly. He’d moved smoothly, she thought, evenly; she turned slightly to look at him, as carefully as she could, without quite taking her eyes from the boy in front of her. Her gaze flickered over smooth gray fur; only his tail was scorched, at the tip. It lashed, furiously, side to side, and Ava managed a soft, relieved exhale. She knew the cat took on his own battles; she knew, too, that it was foolish and naive to think hers might never touch him. All the same, Ava thought, she would be very sorry, if he came to too great harm from hers.

She did not reach for the cat; his bright yellow eyes were fixed on the boy, and there was a low, grumbling mutter in his throat, somewhere shy of a growl. She knew better than to try to pet him in such a state; she could, Ava thought wryly, understand quite well how he felt.

“He doesn’t,” Ava said with a smile, turning back to the boy. She felt some of the fury in her chest recede; she would deal with the floor, with the ruined wool and scorched silk. She would find better locks for her door, and try to figure out who might have told that the side door even existed. “But I do. My name’s Ava Weaver. What’s yours?”

Ava stepped back, carefully, taking the lantern with her, through the door into the small back room. She beckoned the boy after her; if he followed, by the time he made it through, Ava would have a small carry bag in her hand. The fabric draped over the wall behind her was shimmering, faintly, as if in a breeze from the door.

“You're welcome to sit,” Ava offered gracefully, the hand with the bag gesturing elegantly towards the two fabric-covered couches. She stepped sideways, and shut the door that led to the alley with a gentle nudge of her elbow, and stepped away from it as it clicked quietly closed.

Oliver Callagan

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:07 pm

40th Yaris 2719

A flicker of surprise crossed his face. People usually named their pets. Then his eyes were on Ava again, searching her face for a hint of insincerity that never showed. “I’m Olyver, just Olyver,” he muttered as he edged forward, weary of both the cat and its owner.

Any chance of escape was snuffed out the moment Ava shut the backdoor. Olyver hadn’t paid much mind to his surroundings until Ava halted and gestured for him to sit, to which he obliged by sitting down on the very edge of one of two couches.

Strange. He hadn’t woken up that morning thinking he’d find himself in a dimly lit room of some second-rate shop smelling of cotton and beeswax, least of all in the dead of night. There was a tea-table too and heavy curtains covered the rear wall. He vaguely wondered what might be hidden behind them until a sting in his hand pulled his attention away.

He rotated his hand in the half dark, grimacing at the dreadful dark lines that’d been inked onto his hand, thinking himself half a war hero until another light was turned on. There was only a patch of red skin between his thumb and his index finger and a scratch marks running just past his wrist, cutting a long but shallow line into his skin. Stung a great deal though, no matter how pathetic it must've looked. He was reminded of long bygone days in Florne, stubbing his toe or bruising his knee and crying for Anny's help. Funny that, he couldn't remember ever having called for his mother. She was too busy anyway...

He pressed his hand to his mouth, sucked up the blood and traced Ava’s every move with his eyes, waiting for a moment of inattention so he could jump up, leave, and lick his wounds elsewhere. “I’m fine.” He pulled his hand from his lips and wiped it dry on his coat. A quiet hiss escaped him as frayed wool caught on the slick wound like sand burrs. His face flushed red for a moment as he struggled to stop any other unseemly noises from escaping him, but only partly succeeded. “I- I’m fine really,” he muttered, as if saying it again would make it true. “I think I should go home now, I-”

His jaw snapped shut there and he prayed Ava hadn’t heard. Any mention of home would undoubtedly lead to questions that would be difficult to answer. His eyes flicked to the door again. It wasn’t locked, was it? If only he could get Ava to leave him alone, even if just for a moment.

Perhaps it was just a matter of patience. She really didn't seem that upset, but concerned rather, the kind of motherly concern that Anny welcomed him home with almost every day. In a way he felt sorry for her, sorry that he would have to leave her with the mess he'd made without ever knowing the truth. Not that he imagined she'd be here much longer. If Brennan the Broker wanted someone out of his way, it was only ever a matter of time.
Ava Weaver

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:12 pm

T
he young boy licked up the blood from his hand like a cat. Ava didn’t smile, but it was a close thing. He wiped it dry on his coat, and let out a little noise like a whimper of pain. He was fidgeting, antsy on the edge of the couch; every part of him was straining. If he had been a cat, Ava thought, she would not have thought to pet him; she would not have thought to treat his wounds. She would have left him in quiet peace, to slink off or curl up somewhere he thought himself unseen. Perhaps she still should. Ava suspected that if she turned and left the room just a few moments, Olyver would vanish, leaving nothing behind but a little wrinkle on the fabric of her couches, and an enormous, burnt mess in the room outside.

Would vanish, Ava thought, home.

Ava had long since learned to feel more than one thing at once; there was fury, burning still in her chest, though tempered with relief that the gray cat was not too badly harmed, that the fire had not done more than a little damage, that she, herself, was not in the least harmed. A little boy with a home, she thought. So, Olyver had not been looking for a place to spend the night – not that she had ever thought it terribly likely, in truth.

“I won’t keep you here,” Ava said, gently. She set the bag down on the table, and knelt in front of Olyver. She opened it, taking out a small bar of soap, and a clean square of cloth, a length of bandage, and a little pot with a tightly sealed lit. She poured a little water onto the cloth, and dabbed the soap against it. “Ready?” She asked Olyver, looking up at him with a little smile. Her hand settled gently against his, holding it very lightly; the other washed the long cat scratch with soap and water, gentle. She wiped the blood from it, watching for a moment, but no more welled up; only a superficial scratch, after all.

The burn, Ava thought, was more reason to be concerned. The skin was red and inflamed, painful looking, although it was only a small square of skin. “Do you like honey?” Ava asked Olyver. She set the cloth down, and opened the little pot she’d fetched out, dark nails glinting softly in the light. “Here,” She used a small stick to take a little dab of honey out, and offered it to the boy with a little smile. If he accepted, Ava would take a clean stick and another dab, and gently brush that over the burn, then wrap a small length of cloth around the boy’s hand and tie it in place.

Ava eased back, then. She packed her things back up, and rose from kneeling in a smooth, easy motion. She did not mention anything about home, or the way Olyver had frozen, taut and afraid, after the work. She did not ask anything else about the accident, or demand a last name, or say anything else. Instead, Ava put her things back in the little bag, and deliberately turned away, carrying it to the far wall, disappearing behind one of the curtains.

She listened – she was not such a fool as that – but she thought it was the sounds of escape she would hear. She had done her best, Ava thought. Only time would tell.

Oliver Callagan

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 pm

40th Yaris 2719

Cursed or not, the gods seemed to favour him that night. He took the stick of honey in silence, sucked up the sweet, sticky substance and tried not to flinch as she bandaged him up. If the flames had reached a little higher, if Ava would've rolled up his sleeve a little further, she would have found the dark mark halfway up his upper arm. In a way it was the only heirloom he had, the passive mark given to him all those years ago. Some of the outlining was shaky, because he'd fought tooth and nail against it, unlike now.

Now he was dead quiet, except for the ragged breaths and the occasional, uneasy shifting of his weight on the couch. What could he say? That he was sorry? That he'd been told to set a stranger's shop on fire and that he'd been stupid enough to accept? Or should he tell her how much he'd been promised in return? The thought made him sick to his stomach, he could've killed this nice woman and her cat, all for a pinna manna coin.

She vanished the way she'd come, like a ghost, leaving him in silence. Olyver slipped off the couch as silently as he could manage, took a step toward the door, then hesitated. There was no reason to stay, no reason to linger. What if she'd gone to fetch a rope to tie him up, or what if she'd wake her husband?

He reached into his pocket, rummaged through the bits and bobs he kept there until his fingers found the familiar shape of a coin. It was only a fort, which wouldn't even begin to cover the damage he'd inflicted, but it was more than nothing. Holding his breath, he slunk back to the couch, left the coin where he'd been seated and hoped against hope that it would the woman some comfort somehow.

A blink of an eye later he'd turned on his heel, made it outside and vanished into the dark of night. Brennan would not be pleased.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information