[Closed] Marginalia [Coraline]

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed
Topics: 28
Race: Galdor
: The one-man Deep State
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Runcible Spoon
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Templates

Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:26 am

Vienda, Smike's End - 177C Lesser Larch Street
The 12th of Loshis through the morning of the 13th of Loshis
S
eventeen steps. He counts them from habit rather than from need. His needs are fewer here, his desires diminished. He can hear noises from the tea house below, the rattle of cups, the hiss of kettles, the muffled voices. Can he make out their words? Yes, should he wish it. He does not wish it. His mind is already too full of words. They press and jostle about, they scream and are silent. The need to be released, to be set down safely in ink and sealed in wax. At the last step, the voices diminish to a dull and formless muttering. There are sounds,of course, the rattle of carriages on the brick streets, the occasional cries of merchants and tradesmen, the cawing of the crows and magpies, the more distant sounds of the bells on the wharfs. He chose the place partly for its sounds, the sounds of Vienda concentrated and directed. On a good day, when the wind was right and he could almost imagine he could hear the whole city from the old chair in the bay window. It would be a comfort to sit there and listen to the city, to his city, but not tonight.

He has other, more pressing business.

At the outer door he pauses, fishes in the pocket of his waistcoat for the first key. Brass-bright and polished by long use. He fits it to the lock, turns the key, listens for the first click, high and bell-like. He forces the key in deeper, turns it against the custom of locks. There is another click, lower, deeper. The door opens and he slips inside.

The vestibule is small, the floor is bare hard wood that rings at the sound of shoe soles and boot heels. Another reason he chose the place. The alcove along the inner wall had been less of a selling point, though he has come to value it. Even when he lights the lamp, the alcove clings to its shadows. And then the shadows move. “Your home late, Mr Shrike.”

The voice is high and strangely breathy, it slides up and down the scale as though perpetually breaking. A stifled and untuned yodel. Shrikeweed has never understood how the boy can pass the locks of the outer door, how he slips in so silently. At first it startled him, frightened him. Now he expects it, and expects that reedy, wheedling voice.

“Good evening Sneed. I’m surprised to see you here at this hour. Thought there might be shops you’d be burgling, late night pockets that need burgling.” He is tolerably sure that the first time Sneed made it past the outer door he had intended to burgle the place. The inner door had held, and the boy had remained in the vestibule. Shrikeweed had found him there, two years ago, perhaps three. The boy had fallen asleep in the alcove. Later, he had claimed it as his preferred lodging.

Bailey Sneed, street urchin, thief, burglar, had been an odd choice for a watchman, but after a few months it had seemed the most natural thing in the world. The boy is still a burglar, of that Shrikeweed is tolerably certain, but he burgles elsewhere. Burglars, he has discovered, make strangely good neighbors. They make even better errand boys.

“No fear sir, I’m in for the night. No point in going out, not when I’m managed a decent bottle of Twemlough and a tolerable leek and mushroom pie.” Sneed holds out a waxed paper bag, still faintly steaming. “I got two, if you want one.”

Shrikeweed smiles, declines the pie. “You’ll earn your second pie, and perhaps a bonus, in the small hours. I’ll have letters for you to send. Confidential letters.”

“Any more of those contemptuous memos? Only I think they’re beginning to grow wary of me round the back of Chancery. ‘Fraid I might steal something.” The boy smirks, but there is truth in what he says. A ragged youth, and a tsat at that, would raise some hackles. It used to raise his. No longer. Sneed was simply part of his existence now. As commonplace as his books, his desk, or his orchids.

Contemporaneous, Sneed. And no, letters. To be taken to the post office in Hargreave Street.” Halfway across Smike’s End, down toward the river. Down toward the wharfs and the airship towers. Delivery time will be shorter. He will need the response as soon as practicable.

“Right you are Mr Shrike. Hargreave Street it is.” The boy sits up in the alcove, his skinny legs folded underneath him. The shadows seem less deep now, the boy more expectant. “It’s a fair way, Mr Shrike. I don’t suppose I can get an advance on my commission?”

“We’ll see Sneed. For now, have your pies. But give me the Twemlough. I cannot have a drink running my errands.” The boy sighs, and hands over the bottle. Shrikeweed looks at it. It is a rather good one. Another to add to the liquor cabinet. Another bottle that will gather rather less dust than he should like. He nods to Bailey. The boy nods back, then folds back into the gloom of the alcove. It is deeper now. Too deep. It is always too deep when the boy is there. A shake of the head, and Shrikeweed unlocks the inner door and slips inside.

Home. Orchid-smelling and paper-dense. He lights the lamps, both oil and phosphor. They light the small and comfortable room. Bookcases just so, the overstuffed chair in the bay window, the desk, the confidential safe. Everything is as it should be. Untouched. A smile, an exhalation, and he doffs his hat and coat, undoes his neck cloth and kicks off his shoes. Slippers replace them, a declaration he will be in for the night. The bottle of Twemlough is still in his hand. It was now the hour for a drink.

The brandy poured and warming over a candle flame, he sits at his desk, readies his papers, his pens, his private seal and the wine-dark wax he favors. He takes a sip. The flavors blossom in his mouth, pear and old oak. It is good. He will thank Baily later. He may even share a glass with the boy. In the vestibule. He has never allowed the boy beyond the inner door. There are limits to his magnanimity, to his toleration.

His head is full of words. He cannot sort them out. He must sort them out. But he is but one man. So many threads require many minds. Or a mind that can contain multitudes. Yes. He will write to the professor. He owes her a reply in any event. It can do no harm to ask her assistance.

He takes up his pen, dips into the night-black ink, and writes.

Professor Rush,

In response to your letter of the 14th ultimo, no, I have seen very little chance to speak to your husband at any significant length. His movements are known to me, and I have a full, if tedious, accounting of his official business. The last time we were able to speak at anything like a civilized duration, was in the bar at Crookshank’s. This was still a fairly banal exchange of pleasantries, though he did invite me to dine with him at some future unspecified date. I declined the invitation, stating that I would be unspecifically busy. I think we were both relieved at that. I understand that social intecourse is useful, even desirable, but in our specific cases, I cannot think the event would have been beneficial. Please, do tell your husband to locate some friends that would be more congenial to his society. Two gentlemen making polite noises over the soup course, or commenting is desultory tones about the quality of this season’s turbot does not a pleasant evening make.

In future, I may try and avoid Cookshank’s. It is out of my usual price range in any event.

As to the other matters, yes, I have been able to prepare a digest of current political news, relevant social corollaries, market fluctuations (for which I am indebted to Mr Levesque for sorting out. Finance is a murky business) and available polling data. My observations and notes are, as always, contained in the margin. These are the product of refinements I made to my quantitative analysis model at your suggestion. The magic is more efficient, and the side-effect less extreme, so I am thankful for your input. I have included the incantations themselves along with several explanatory notes, and would be very much obliged to you if you would look them over and point out where I am at fault.

An hour passes. Then another. Words upon words pile up upon the letter. Vote tallies, projections of likely outcomes, counterfactuals. He scribes his own incantations, his own calculations. They are incomplete, less well formed than they should be. His scholarship lags, he is relying too much on old methods, on old ways of thought. That is a risk he cannot afford. No here. Not now. Whatever mess the Incumbent, his Incumbent, has gotten himself into, it will take more than hack-work magic and too much coffee to untangle. He needs staff. He cannot acquire the staff he needs, cannot trust the staff he might get. He will have to do it alone. Can he trust himself? Unclear. He can only hope.

Any advice you can give, any new publications you can point me toward, would be greatly appreciated. My work has become rather more than I can handle with the current state of my sorcery. You will ask for details. I can give none. I only hope that our long collaboration is enough to induce you to assist me.

Should you require any additional incentive that is in my power to grant. I will gladly do so.

I remain, professor, your most humble and obedient servant,

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed.

His brandy has gone cold, its fragrance diminished. Still, he takes another sip and leans back in his chair. The letter is not his best work. It will have to do.

Hand on the doorknob, he turns it, clockwise, anticlockwise, and clockwise again. On silent hinges it opens. Bailey is still crouched in his alcove. The boy is not asleep. He is too quiet, too still.

“Sneed. Run this as fast as you can.” He hands the boy a handful of coins, not bothering to count. “Get yourself a pie on the way back. You will have earned it.”

Last edited by Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed on Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Mythic
Topics: 3
Race: Writer
Writer: Mythic

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:52 am

14th of Loshis, 2719
Aplume of black smoke passed out and away from the lungs of Professor Coraline Rush. It was early morning on the 14th day of Loshis, and the professor took to rising well before the time her first class met in order to prepare herself for the outpouring of younger students. Invariably, it was her third and fourth-form students, the beginning level of beginning levels of Quantitative instruction, that came to her in the morn. It was fortunate for everyone involved that Coraline was a morning person, but the ingestion of unsweetened, black coffee and several puffs from a delicate wooden pipe she'd been given to by her daughter... it was simply divine. The smoke wafted from her lungs in an assigned smoking area, far away from the students but within sight of her own office. Just down the way, it was tradition for Coraline to wait outside for her daily mail, and without fail, the courier arrived with her various correspondence, updates from the university itself, and once per week, her pay.

Today was not such a day, as the courier was not equipped with his baton, nor was he walking with an enhanced sense of alarm and purpose. Instead, the young man greeted her by name, then placed a short stack of letters into her hand before leaving the professor to her time. Approximately two hours before classes were due to begin, and an hour and a half before she was due to leave the bench and enter her office for her daily preparations, she tended to her ritualistic reading of her correspondence. The first were trivial updates from the office of the Head of Staff, praising Coraline for her continued and exemplary service to the students. Then, there was a short update from her husband, included within was a trinket -- a small key that she was supposed to find a counter to before the week's end. It was these little games that kept their distant marriage alive and well.

By the end of the month, she'd see Alcastor again.

However, the third and final letter was something of interest. The name on the envelope was very familiar, a very avid student of hers that she remained in constant communication with. Coraline, before opening the letter, took a sip of her coffee before setting the cup on the ground. She re-ignited her pipe tobacco, taking two long draws from the curved wooden pipe before it too was set, but within reach of her hand. She'd take at least one more draw as she read the contents, a hint of amusement cast upon her features at the thought of her husband continuing his patronage of Crookshank's. It was a habit of his, long-established and he'd taken her more than once to a night on the town ending there before their twin children were born. At times, Coraline lamented the passage of time, the thought of the decades moving and separating her and Alcastor.

Ever present was the steep love they shared, but time made fools of everyone and everything, and the fact that Lucian's mental condition never improved bridged a divide that Coraline saw, but couldn't do very much to face. Both of them had cancelled scheduled meetings, trips to Vienda or the Stacks to stay with their daughter for a weekend lost to the musings of time. As the letter moved away from Alcastor and towards the indulgences in magical practice, Coraline allowed herself to let the thoughts drift away altogether. It was better not to think too deeply on Alcastor or Lucian. Instead, she thought of her daughter and the fierce pride she felt for the younger redhead before she ventured on in the letter. Another puff from her pipe before she returned to her coffee, placing the first back into her purse and letting her digits curl about the second.

It was quite useful, having a political correspondent, for the news from Vienda was sluggish at best, and with the paper being filled more and more with the senseless propaganda from the more so-called progressive erseholes whose worthless political opinions proliferated like rabbits... it was quite the pleasant change to have an opinion from a man whose viewpoints were not so different from her own. Call it bias, or call it being dismissive, it was a pleasure to read the margins of Shrikeweed's letter and ascertain for herself what the proper information was and how to digest it effectively. And for that, she was grateful.

As Coraline looked through the spell-craft that was embossed on the margins, she noticed the effort put within them, but there was always difficulty in writing spell-craft, an art that Coraline Rush, with her forty years of indulgence in the craft of Quantitative conversation, dared not venture in too deeply. Magic was a dangerous thing, and while Coraline could empathize with Shrikeweed's haste and felt pity for the man's lack of colleagues and fellows with which to embolden his spell-craft and secular work both, she'd have to course-correct before the next headline was that an overworked and quite possibly under-paid political underling had killed himself through stress working and shoddy spell-work. Coraline pulled herself off from the bench, letting one final draw from her pipe after re-igniting it settle within her lungs as she left the coffee cup on the floor for one of the passive degenerates to clean up.

When Coraline reached her desk, she immediately took out a red pen and began making her corrections to the work he inlaid in the margins. She crossed out lines that she felt unnecessary, for entreating the mona was as much a craft as it was art. Being concise was the same as being formal, and though most Quantitative conversations with the mona were long and arduous, confusing the mona with nonsense would only serve in aggravating both caster and the sentient particles. Once she was satisfied that she'd made her proper corrections, Coraline found a fresh sheet and a black pen, then began her to address the galdor politician with her own correspondence.

Mr. Shrikeweed,

Enclosed with this reply is your original letter, with corrections made to the Monite in the margins as per usual. It is my sincere appreciation that you continue to update me on the political climate within Vienda and of course, the overall disposition of my husband. It is my hope that you can catch his eye, for as qualified as Incumbent Vauquelin was, it is my understanding that he's seen in the present as an eccentric and a victim of a terrible accident. It'd be my great pleasure to introduce him to you properly upon a subsequent visit to Vienda, if you are so inclined. It's my regret that his fine tastes are prohibitively expensive for you to branch a proper connection, but my husband is very much set in his ways.

In any case, I am quite pleased that previous corrections on your Quantitative pursuits have been successful! I am also glad that you continue to consult me before you continue to push your understanding deeper. It would be my prerogative to ask that when and if you publish any spells relating to this experimentation of yours that you will credit me in the spell. It'd go a very long way for my tenure to see multiple spells published in my name. As always, my dear, the flaws in your incantations are encircled and my suggested changes are inscribed in red ink where it can be fitted. In the future, if you'd like me to provide a separate sheet for such corrections, I am pleased to, but I am answering this correspondence in haste before the courier leaves the building and classes begin.

Enclosed at the base of this letter are a list of references that you can most likely find in the local library in Vienda. They offer guidance in spellwriting, but more importantly, they can help shore up the gaps in knowledge that come with a life led primarily in political pursuit. It is of no fault of your own, Mr. Shrikeweed, that one's understanding slides over time, and it is my sincere hope for you to broaden your perspective with additional resources.

It is a pleasure to correspond with you, as always,

Professor Coraline Rush -- Quantitative studies.

Coraline sealed both letters in an envelope before moving to deposit it in the nearby mailbox. With any luck, the courier would check it before going along with his day. If not, then Basil Shrikweed could wait the extra day before going along with his experimentation.
Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed
Topics: 28
Race: Galdor
: The one-man Deep State
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Runcible Spoon
Post Templates: Templates

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:21 am

Vienda, Smike's End - 177C Lesser Larch Street
The 17th of Loshis, 2719, an hour before midnight
O
nly a single lamp lit, the light is red, warm, faint. Shrikeweed lays upon the floor, spread out, still and silent upon the carpet. For an hour or more he has not moved. For an hour or more he has made no sound save from the passing of his breath. In, and out, and in again. The crimson gloom comforts him. His eyes can take no more light. No more, or the pain in his head will grow, grow until it consumes him and he will be useless, even to himself. The cool dimness of his sitting room is a balm to him. It does not take the pain away. It prevents its growing.

He breathes out again, a low long hissing sound. The only sound in the room. The only sound his ears can endure. Every muscle he has tightened, held taut. A long and low and mild agony. It saps the pain from his head. Transforms it. Then, one by one, from his toes to the top of his head, he releases his sinews from their delicious agony. He loosens his field along with them.

Distant voices now, a chorus of his thoughts, and thoughts that are not quite his own. The smell of beeswax, of old wood, of paper, and of ink. He is surrounded by the sounds of smells at every moment of his waking, and in the dark, when he can sleep, they shape his dreams. He is never without them. They are he and he is them. The mona of his field are an extension of his thought, he is an extension of theirs. They are the archives of his mind, the shapes and forms, the files and the cabinets. He is the curator, the librarian. The curator is the servant of the curated. The curated yield to the curator.
Another breath and he opens a file, draws out a letter. The words are within his memory, within the memory of his field. He sees them now, clear as any ink upon paper. A simple magic. Foundational. The professor’s words are clearer. They are clearer for her adjustments to his magic. For this, we will thank her. There are other matters for which he cannot give thanks.

Arising now, the words of the letter still swimming before his eyes, he proceeds on unsteady feet to his desk. A breath. A second. A third. He returns to his more mundane modes of thought. The archives of his mind, the whispers of the voices within his field muted. He will need to be Shrikeweed alone. He is never truly alone. He will need to be as alone as he can manage.

He takes up his pen. In the dim light, the page is unclear, muted. It does not matter. He can feel the paper in his hands, sense the flow of ink from the pen. He does not need to eyes to write. The shape, the memory, of light is enough.

Professor Rush,

I thank you for your corrections and critiques to my workings. It has proven most beneficial. As it always does. My thoughts are somewhat more clarified, and the ease of thought improved. And yet I find myself still requiring vast quantities of coffee and coca tea to maintain the mental state necessary to optimize the calculating power of my magic, of my field. This is likely another failing of mine. A ritual that must be performed. Still, my calculations and predictions are greatly improved. For that I thank you.

As to the matter of publishing, I have no objection to giving you all the credit you deserve. Should I publish. And that is very much in doubt. So much of this practice is ideo-sorcerous, dependent upon my own predilections and thought-forms that I am unsure any publication would be useful to the larger quantitative community.

All perfectly true, and still it is a lie. He will not publish. Cannot publish. The methods are his own. He is not sure any other might attempt them. No, that is too much vanity. He is not sure he can describe them. He is not sure he wants any other to have the key to the patterns of his own thought. Better to keep it hidden, unknown. A man must have his secrets after all.

As to the matter of the Incumbent: the Service has assigned me to the man and I am loath to cross my superiors in that manner. However, should I be of occasional use to you husband, in a purely unofficial capacity, my services are available. Still, I am bound to my principal and matters of custom and propriety factor in no small part in shaping and constraining my actions.

All true, and yet it is another twisting of the truth. He cannot leave the Incumbent. He does not wish to leave him. He man is a puzzle, or rather, the two men, ‘I’ and ‘He, are a puzzle. He will not drop it now. An impossibility.

Still, there is no harm in cultivating another ally. Or at least a source. Mr Rush is sadly set in his political ways. Rigid and conservative for form’s sake rather than for purpose. Yes, a source. More valuable than gold and seven times as dear.

All that said, I would very much appreciate any consul your esteemed husband might provide. I am still new in my current posting and find that I am more adrift that I should perhaps like. If he might stretch himself to leaving the comfort and opulence of Crookshank’s and joining me for a civilized drink as The Pendulum Club, or a coffee at The Elephant, I would be very much obliged. I can dine at Crookshank’s on my father’s tally, but not my own. The trials of a civil servant.

And should you find yourself in the capitol, I should be more than happy to provide you with intelligence regarding the better but more obscure dining establishments and lodging houses. After all, what are congenial contacts for?

Yours,

Basil Ambrose Shrikeweed

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information