[Closed] Distance is Relative

In which the Clairvoyant search for Jonathan Emmett is made.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Ezre Vks
Topics: 22
Race: Galdor
: better with the dead
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:03 am

drowning again, vauquelin residence
the 17th of Vortas, 2719 | late evening
"No. You know my honest feelings better than that. I am not infallible. I misspeak, too, in my emotion." Ezre both attempted to interpret Lilanee's Deftung and correct it, grinding out the consonants for true, honest, sincere slower for emphasis, his fingers loosing their grip on the teapot while he attempted to pour, hands shaking again. Her broken use of his language would have been endearing had it not stung so much. Instead, it broke his concentration.

He'd ignored that look of well-practiced defiance on the raen's sharp, borrowed face, resisting the urge to rise to the challenge in favor of attempting to search for some measure of centering calmness in a familiar act of service. The obvious misunderstanding of his intentions stole any semblance of strength he'd managed to muster, and he found any solace he'd attempted to gather in what should have been the unifying gift of tea not only hollow, but exhausting, discouraging. He managed not to drop anything, not to spill more than a drip or two, but his body begged to give into the gravity of frustration and unhappiness in the Hessean's field, to wilt under Tom's glare, longed to melt into a puddle on the floor.

He made it to the couch instead, dark eyes flicking to his clothes while he shivered, loathing the effort. His tea was passed to him and he almost shoved it away—too hot, too heavy, too unappreciated. Instead, awkwardly, he held it, bringing the cup to his tattooed chest in hopes the radiant heat from it would chase the gooseflesh away and fill the suddenly very empty space between his ribs. He almost spilled the liquid, however, startling at the sound of Lilanee's hand against her palm.

I she said.

Not we.

While the swift flow of her words threatened to drown the divinopotent all over again, much as he had before in the bath, he let them wash over him anyway. He'd known the redhead long enough to understand that to find the one valuable bone you were looking for, you sometimes had to sift through a lot of dirt. So, too, was the Hessean's way of speaking: so many words poured out to sift through and find the one important meaning.

Her language was purposeful. Exclusive. Hurtful.

"Dru—"

"—wait—"

"—Lilanee, you cannot—"

His bleary attention was on the Hessean's face for a moment before he tilted his head toward Tom as if to answer him, including himself on something that he had not, at all, seemed invited to participate in,

"You will not go to Western Anaxas alone. Nor will you be going anywhere immediately. I took the time to prepare as carefully as possible for today, and so will we again for whatever is next."

A guide perhaps?

Ezre hissed, expression deepening into a scowl at the sensation of salt rubbed into a metaphorically open wound, especially when she stepped closer and dared to change the subject back to himself. Had he not shared his whole self? Had he not given enough? Did she not know the difference between words spoken without thinking and sincere feelings expressed after much consideration? He could hear his umah's voice now, chiding him for entrusting any part of his heart to a stranger, to a foreigner, to someone who did not know how that Hoxian heart worked at all, let alone a Hexxos.

He raised a trembling hand at all of the redhead's questions, desperate to breathe between them, desperate to put some space between her hurt and his bare self, feeling suddenly so very exposed on the sofa without his rhakor.

"I do not know what happened. None of that went at all as expected, but that is not my fault." The dark-haired mess of a Guide growled, delicate features twisted into genuine anger now, other hand barely keeping the untouched tea from spilling, "That is the nature of that mist—of the grau—it—it does something to magic. Was our spellwork amplified? Was it changed? I do not know! Have I been given time to process? Dru. Do I look capable of such a thing right now? Dru! I have hardly been given a moment to breathe, let alone think—I am not entirely sober—I have—"

He was speaking over her, voice wavering, growing in frustration until Lilanee spoke Alethia's name and he nearly dropped his teacup. Hot liquid spilled and he made a sharp noise of discomfort, sitting up with all the speed he could muster while tea traveled down inked lines and mountain-made muscle,

"No."

Ezre's tone was almost petulant, frayed field a flare of bright, glaring, scintillating mix of shifted colors, most of them angry and hurt. He resisted the urge to shout, mostly, "I would not have slipped under the water if you had not been distracted, if your attention had not been impatiently diverted by your mother who seemed to not even be invested in the life of someone that I can only assume that she once claimed to care about. Kuleda-vumein had no respect for what we were attempting because she has no respect for me! As if the mist and the distance were not dangerous enough, the mona weigh all intentions in the casting!"

The Hoxian's own attention was suddenly interrupted with Tom's hand waving as if to swat angrily at insects instead of children. His dark eyes widened for only a moment, but there was no flicker of fear in them, no betrayal of surprise. Perhaps there should have been, perhaps the Hexxos should have at least pretended to be shocked at the once-human's explosive honesty, but, Ezre wasn't high enough to feel as though every moment was a new discovery and he was still too high to be startled by actual new revelations that seemed to seep into the cracks of his mental shape for the raen, filling in the places he'd yet to see.

"Need I remind you, Cooke-vumash—" Ezre began with a whisper, for suddenly everything was too loud, the buzz of everyone else's overstretched fields too grating on his overstimulated senses. His ears rang with it all and his free hand reached up instinctually to wipe under his nose, "—that I am not only a Carrier of the Dead, but a student of the mortuary sciences. Do you know that many of our study cadavers come from prisons? From unwanted, unclaimed, unremembered bodies at funeral homes picked up from gutters, from streets, from rivers? Who gives them purpose? Who treats them with dignity? I do. How much detail would you like me to go into about my academic knowledge of drowning? I—I am very aware of what happened—of what happened to me—not everything was under my—our—control!"

He couldn't stand, but he'd sat up and regretted it because the room spun and his stomach churned. Tawny skin tingled where tea had been spilled. He was as angry now as he was hurt, as confused as he was defiant. Everyone else was standing anyway, and he couldn't bring himself to join them, too afraid they'd just knock him over with a look before saying another word.

"Magic is not predictable, Clairvoyance especially. I was very careful with my research and my preparation, and you all seem to assume this was whim and chance! We all understood, or so I thought, that anything about Western Anaxas was mysterious. Dangerous. Strange. But I knew you would be there. But I trusted you. I gave of myself because I knew I was not alone, because I knew I could place myself in your care. I see now that my understanding of a reasonable risk is—uh—unique among the three of us. "

With his last words, which were more of a groan than anything else, he'd willingly looked away from the raen to look to the Hessean again,

"Mistake or not, however, you have an answer to a question that I know has caused you suffering for a long time, Lilanee. There is more truth in what is left unspoken, of what is said between the words, but you focus on what was said in anger and hurt, on what was said without thought. Do you not know me at all? Have you only been talking and not listening this whole time of our more-than-friendship? Even when I shared my feelings? Last night, in the dark. Days before, in the clouds. Whenever I can."

Ezre managed to shakily put the dribbling teacup on the arm of the sofa, right there nestled among the blue stains he'd scratched into the fabric with his nails. He oozed downward, off the too soft, too comfortable cushions to his knees on the floor, sinking, curling, shivering, until he could lean the side of his cheek against the thing.

"You have seen more of me than anyone else, and now you doubt? Do you know who I took this risk for? Not for me. Not for accolades. Not for the curious triumph, though it was. Dru, vre'ia. It was for you."

He buried his face in the cushion for a moment, resisting the urge to shout into stuffing, desperate to quell the seething, writhing thoughts and feelings that bubbled and swirled in his chan-opened mind, that bled from every pore while he couldn't seem to bring his rhakor into focus. With a whine, he leaned it back to look up, up at the fancy ceiling of the once-Incumbent's fancy Anaxi house.

"I would have gladly traded one life—my own, which is mine to give as I see fit—to prove another's. At least my funeral would have been well-earned. Someone will have to see this corpse, and you do not understand the honor it would be if it was you. I care, you know, about the friends I keep. I love, too, though it is different in shape and form. Not like an Anaxi, but not less than in its difference, either. We are not the same, but that does not make me insincere—"

He'd left a smear of red on the upholstery.

"—I do not share your fear of dying, even if—contrary to what you seem to see of me—"

It was better to stare at it there on the sofa, the dark-haired Guide's face scrunched from an indignant scowl to unfiltered hurt, squinting at fabric while tears stung his eyes. His jaw clenched and he hitched a breath that felt too precious to waste on such a totally unfiltered, expression of emotion

"—it would be sad for me, too. I am certainly not ready, but I was not—still am not—may never be—afraid of death."

Tags:
Lilanee Kuleda
Topics: 11
: Let's go on an adventure!!!
Writer: Raksha

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:55 am

17th Vortas, 2719
KULEDA BATHROOM| LATE EVENING
D​​eftung again between them, the Hoxian’s much clearer and guiding than her own. Lilanee knew her own meaning had been tainted by hurt and emotion, she spoke too cruelly in her turn of phrase. It hurt, and she was a teenager. She didn’t have the aloofness of her Anaxi elders.

She was also, as much as she hated to admit, her mothers daughter.

The Hessean looked at Tom, her fist still in her hand and brow drawn. She would make this alone, if that is what it would take. No one else should have to be burdened by her selfish needs, and there was little indication at this point in time that Ezre would want anything to do with her ever again after this experience. They admonished her, talked of preparation and waiting but by Vita’s radiance how long could her father wait?! She inhaled, prepared to make those points, only to exhale and nod sharply at the older raen’s exclamation.

Amazing was not the right word for the fear they’d both felt together, for the Hexxos in their midst.

As he stood from his chair, Lilanee couldn’t help but agree, couldn’t help but let his passionate concerns shape the words that were building again. Where Tom left off, she picked up, emotional and vulnerable in the shared concern. Ezre bit back, speaking over her, competing with her for the explanation of the events that had occurred. Xi didn’t know, of course they didn’t, but worry gave her words an edge they didn’t need. Between the three of them was a barrier of understanding, perhaps a cultural blocker. Ezre didn’t seem to see the tremendous concern they had for them, or the shared fear they had experienced. And they too, didn’t grasp the way Ezre couldn’t see that, how they were angry at the lack of trust in their own abilities.

It was all too much, too soon. They all needed rest, and time to process. And yet, they continued to speak. She threw Alethia’s name into the fire, loathe to raise it but adamant it was the truth.

"No."

Ezre’s sharp word was loud in the space between them, the cxil’s tea scalding where it spilt on inked skin. Lilanee took a half step, reaching, stopping when the Hexxos continued. Her brow drew further, and her hand tucked in under her arm. Tight lipped, she held her tongue as the dark haired student openly berated her mother with truths and assumptions. They berated the human-now-galdor about the knowledge of drowning, in her mind immaturity out loud. Of course xi knew about the intricacies of the anatomy and what happens when people drowned, but xi hadn’t watched it. Hadn’t lived it. Or at least, hadn’t ever told her that.

Too clinical. Tom’s words in the bathroom before the main event echoed in her mind, reminding her once again of the stark differences between their cultures.

Maybe Alethia was right, maybe she’d let her heart cloud her mind.

The Hessean ran her hands over her face, shoulders slumping slightly in defeat. She didn’t want to argue anymore, and felt every small dig that the Hoxian not-so-subtlety inserted like a hot poker in her chest. Of course she listened, of course she was happy, but nothing was simple anymore. Seasons ago, the concerns about anothers life in such emotional regard would have been preposterous. She’d said that love was a terrible thing, a distraction and a danger. Emotions were naught but the clouding of logic and sanity. How could so many things hurt when they said them, but not when others did.

She needed space.

“I know for whom this risk was for Ezre. That is not confused nor is it in question.” The russet brunette sighed behind her hands, pushing her palms into her eyes and scrunching up her nose to stem the strange stinging that crying brought to her sinuses. When before love had she ever cried? Crying achieved nothing, and now it seemed she had cried too many times this Vortas.

"I would have gladly traded one life—my own, which is mine to give as I see fit—to prove another's.”

“I would not—” Lilanee murmured under her breath, listening to Ezre continue to devalue their life in her mind. The Hoxian saw things from another lens, another place. The cycle and raen and ghosts and all these things she could not just accept.

”…I was not—still am not—may never be—afraid of death."

“I am!” The words wrenched from her throat, echoing in the Incumbents home, broken with tears and grievances. Lilanee inhaled in a sob, dragging her hands from her eyes and balling them by her sides. She fixed the puddled Hoxian with a periwinkle stare.

“I am afraid of death, Ezre. And I would not trade your life for another, because that is not what people do. I would be left alone to grieve for you, even if I found my father. It would be forever a burden on my heart because my happiness would come at your death and I am not glad for that. You…I…why…” The teenager hitched a breath, dragging the back of her hand over her cheek and looking at Tom’s feet with a short nod.

“I apologize, for my outburst. I must excuse myself. Might I suggest we call it a night, and reconvene in the morning?” Covering her blotchy, tearful, messy features with her hand, Lilanee didn’t wait for permission to leave. Her booted feet heralded her departure, escaping into the depths of the unfamiliar house to find a quiet place to weep her grievances into the throw provided till guided by one of Tom’s staff to somewhere she could retire for the evening.

Perhaps morning would be clearer for them all.

Last edited by Lilanee Kuleda on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Post Templates: Post Templates

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:39 pm

The Vauquelin Parlor Uptown
Evening on the 17th of Vortas, 2719
I
would not have slipped under the water if you had not –

Tom’s eyes widened; he resisted the urge to look at Lil, though he could feel her field against his, strained taut. His eyes wandered down; then, at Ezre’s next words, they darted up sharply. When the Hexx had finished, he stood with his mouth half-open, silent. It snapped shut with a click of teeth; he blinked.

It felt as if the water had been put on to boil soon as Ezre’d begun speaking, and now something inside him was building such pressure as to crack the pot. He couldn’t’ve said what he felt; his head was cloudy with pain. If he had room to chew through all of the implications – not just for him, but for the lass, too, who stood with her hand in her fist beside him – it was steadily dwindling, filling up with steam.

“Unwanted.” It wouldn’t do any good, he knew, but he couldn’t help it. He bit off the word as he repeated it; it dripped acid. “Unclaimed, unremembered.”

Do you know how you sound? That’s how you sound, he wanted to say. He wanted to hurl the teapot he’d left on the end table behind. Who gives them purpose? His heart hammered.

Condescending little shit, he wanted to say.

It was on the tip of his tongue, but the sound beside him tore him out of it. Lil had her head in her hands; he saw her shoulders shudder, tell-tale, and a little sigh slipped between her fingers. He swallowed tightly, glancing from her to the Hexx, lolling waterlogged off his sofa, hair still tangled wet and shot through with nicum-blue dye.

All for you, Ezre kept saying, over and over, by implication if not in so many words – and now, in so many words. Stop, he wanted to say, for the love of the gods, just stop talking. Just shut the hell up. Don’t you see what you’re doing to her?

And then, when Lilanee spoke up again – he could hear it in the stammers, in the pauses; he could hear it every time Ezre cut across her. Don’t, he wanted to say to her. He’s high as a flooding kite; nothing you say will matter, now. Take it from somebody who knows, he thought bitterly.

It was a going-in-circles. Who’d die for whom. You’re nineteen, he wanted to say; you’re barely bochi. And now Ezre was spilling out intimacies he felt sure weren’t meant for his ears, and he was helpless to stand and listen to the lovers quarrel.

Outside, he could hear the occasional whisper by the door. Let them eavesdrop, he thought. Wasn’t like this house wasn’t moony anymore anyway.

Eyes bleary-tired, he looked down at his stained toffin’s clothes, at his hands with the wedding-band still glinting uselessly on one, then up at the mantle where Naulas spread his antlers. He could still feel the etheric tang in his field; he could still feel the distant rush of it through his veins, through his leylines, the echo of power. What the hell was he turning into?

The grau, Ezre had explained, like this was something he’d’ve ever known about before. Dangerous, strange.

“You’re right,” he muttered finally, passing a hand over his brow. “You’re right. I don’t understand a reasonable risk. I don’t understand anything, and I hope I never do.” He shivered, winced, then –

Lil had turned to him and was apologizing, professional-like, the throw still wrapped round her shoulders.

“Don’t,” he said softly, “apologize,” after her retreating back. He let her go, half-raising a hand.

Boemo, she needed to be alone. If nobody’d found her by later that night, he thought, he’d tell Mrs. Wheelwright to bring her – he didn’t know what. At least bring her up to one of the guest rooms on the second floor, though he suspected one of those great, soft beds would be nothing but a cold comfort.

Ezre had sunk to the floor now, his head resting against the cushioned side of the couch. Tom sucked at a tooth, running a hand through the mess of his hair. “All right,” he breathed. “She’s right about one thing. And so are you. You need to sleep this off, and we’re in no condition to – to do anything right now.”

He couldn’t keep the anger out of his voice, no matter how he tried. Unwanted, unclaimed, unremembered. Alone in the parlor with him, he couldn’t push away the thought of Ezre’s inked hands on his corpse, tracing familiar scars, a dull blank look on his old face, shut-eyed and unbreathing. Listing out the cause of death in his calm, accented voice, face rhakor-clean.

“I’ll ring for someone to help you upstairs,” he said tightly. It was Anatole’s voice he heard, deep voice enunciating perfectly, not a trace of his old accent. “And to check on you occasionally. At first, at least. I am…” He paused, licking his lips; he couldn’t look over his shoulder. “I am retiring to the study. Send for me if you need me.”

He rang the servants’ bell before he said anything else. There was a polite pause, and then the door opened rightaway; he gave directions to Margaret, then Morris and Douglas. There was something easy about it, like treading water, like muscle memory. Yes, sir; of course, sir. Shall I run baths, sir?

His face was numb as he left, climbing the stairs past the foyer. His head ached. Once, he caught sight of his shadow stretching out over the steps and jumped, afraid; he hurried up, and up, and up, keeping his head up, not looking at the hand on the banister, not looking at anything but the shadows gathering in the ceiling of Anatole Vauquelin’s house.
Ezre Vks
Topics: 22
: better with the dead
Writer: Muse

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:03 am

one bad trip
the 17th of Vortas, 2719 | late evening
What had been left behind there in that ornate tub, down the drain? What had been left smeared on that fancy tile, over upholstery between here and the Kuleda's household? Ezre was not in the state of mind to know consciously, but some part of his peeled away, wide-open, rhakor-robbed self was at least aware of just how bare and exposed he was in every possible sense of the word. He had little grasp on a filter—the Hoxian was no longer the solid, reliable black rock silhouette of Vroh Guar but instead had simply become the molten, thick lava that poured from inside its heart and consumed everything in its path without mercy. The grand spine of the world had been made in this way—liquid fire made solid by time.

All he felt in this moment was the fire.

Ezre could not expect Anaxi to understand—they were bubbling over all the time, a constant stream, glowing and steaming, stretching and reaching. In this moment, it wasn't as though he understood himself, either: annoyed by his own lack of self-control and at the same time overwhelmed by it. Travel-weary and magically exhausted, even if he'd not been ridiculously high, he'd hardly have been able to entirely maintain that well-honed, calm exterior expected of his people.

This was a lesson he knew: how to find the quiet of the slumbering volcano. The secret, of course, lay in the acknowledgement that no Hoxian actually denied the magma that roiled heatedly within every living, sentient heart. It was one thing to be just an ordinary mountain, however, but quite another to hold in check the hot blood of Vita deep inside.

The young Guide met Tom's shocked glare without a hint of intimidation, without even a flicker of apology. His tattooed chest rose with a shaky inhale, and his dark eyes studied the expression on the raen's face with all the studiousness of someone who was completely unaware they'd not remember enough of the details in the morning. He'd admitted to murder, more or less, and the once-human had a way with sharp objects that had been previously established. What did he think happened? Someone had to deal with the bodies, though Ezre was quite convinced places like the Harbor hardly had a standard of care, let alone an inkling of respect.

Not that Ezre was at all respectful, felt like being respectful, or even felt respected in this moment. He'd not felt respected since he arrived in Anaxas' shining, proud capital, since he showed his tattooed face to Lilanee's mother. He'd agreed to come, to stop a funeral, and this was all still some kind of unnecessary wake for two people who were still very much alive.

I am right here, thrummed his pulse.

I am afraid of death, Lilanee admitted, her sobbing spattering like rain on still-cooling magma as as if to turn it into stone.

He heard the hiss of it, the steam of it tickling his senses. There was no clarity to it, however, and her tears didn't bring him into any more focus than Tom's anger. She could not understand. She did not. Maybe she would never—that would be a burden he'd have to weigh the cost of bearing. And even now, in that borrowed body, neither did the raen the dark-haired student had made the childish mistake of befriending, of expecting the same familiar frame of Hexxos reference that he was—had been—couldn't help still being so homesick for.

If Lilanee dismissed his entire culture of life-giving and life-honoring, Tom Cooke utterly defied his entire frame of reference when it came to raen. The reality of the young Hexxos' isolated, sheltered existence had been unraveling for years, just a thread here, a thread there, pulled free, trailing bright colors; and while his umah had warned him—assured him? it was so difficult to tell what she'd intended, sending him far from home!—that his boundaries would be widened, she'd not told him for what purpose! No one had told him what it would feel like or what it was supposed to look like in the end. This felt like someone had grabbed the torn fabric of his perspective in both hands and pulled in opposite directions.

Ezre felt the tearing keenly, but not keenly enough to keep the pain of it to himself, "I should never have expected either of you to understand, anyway. That was my mistake, not yours." Ezre found some moment to murmur, bitter like the aftertaste of chan and nicium, sour like lingering bile in the back of his throat.

All it has done is caused suffering, and that is my fault, too, he could have added to soften the blow of such an admission, to pull back the force of such an open-palmed strike. But he did not. He refused, unable and unwilling to be gentle in this moment, crushed by an ego he would never have otherwise willingly given such unveiled free rein to.

His jaw clenched, drifting a little under the weight of too many strung out fields, under the swift-hungry flow of so many consuming feelings. He blinked, aware of the Hessean's words but confused when she'd disappeared between the space of his eyes closing and opening (maybe they were closed for longer than he thought), and he looked back to the sharp-voiced older not-galdor, wanting to object to needing any more help than navigation—this house was a cavernous mystery as far as he was concerned, save for those stairs and the study.

"I do not need—" The Hoxian found his feet slowly, shakily relying on the soft stability of the sofa. Incumbent Vauquelin's servants were already wary of who and what he was. He didn't want their assistance, didn't need it.

He was surely capable of caring for himself, weak-kneed, tired, and shaking.

What as another tub at this point?

His too-hot heart fluttered at the thought, fear just as real and untamed as everything else he'd felt this evening,

"—fine. Thank you."

Ezre frowned at Tom's back, at the vacant space where he still expected to see Lilanee, at the household staff. Left to drown in the company of strangers instead of the companionship of friends, this was Anaxi gratitude at its finest. He scowled up the stairs, struggling and tired, molten anger slowly hardening into dark stone. He balked at the steamy waters of the bath kindly run for him in hopes of washing away the stains of the evening, forced this time to navigate his own amplified, wasted terror alone.

Vroh Guar knew the power it held within its strong, dark cliff faces, but in humility, held itself calm and quiet, a stoic silhouette. He felt more like shattered volcanic glass than strong, reliable igneous rock—scattered into tiny Bash's tears or stretched thin like Bash's hair. One could, at least, melt glass down again and reform it. Ezre could hope all that had been broken could be remade, but doubted his inked hands were at all strong enough to do so.

By the time he collapsed in the bed he was given, delirious and exhausted, drained and frayed, the young Guide was unsure if he'd ever be able to separate what had been real from what had been imagined about the evening, let alone if he'd remember what mattered once he was clear-headed and conscious again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information