[Mature] Hardest of Hearts

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Rhys Valentin
Topics: 19
Race: Wick
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:28 am

Painted Ladies
afternoon on the 20th of Loshis, 2719
"No! That's not at all what I was gonna say—" The tall blond slurred with the kind of heated defiance he'd always been known for, dizzy with the dangerous cocktail of inebriation, frustration, and hurt that flared through every capillary and singed through every vein,

"—let me finish for fuckssake—"

There was no small trickle of irony in such a statement, unsure of whether that was his body commandeering the use of his tongue or whether that was his heart pouring the truth through his lips. He wavered on his feet, flushed face contorted into a scowl, too slow to react to his soiled uniform shirt as it was tossed at him, letting it slide to the floor where his trousers were still pooled at his ankles.

"—that's not what I meant. I didn't want—I tried to—shit." Rhys tried to soften his tone, but he was already speaking to the wall instead of Charity, having let her roughly rush past him without even reaching to stop her. Bleary blue eyes stared at wallpaper so carefully glued by his own hands just a few months ago, feeling the sting of tears while the tension that'd once been coiled so deliciously in his core clawed furiously up his spine to cause his jaw to clench. His ears rang, and when he bent to kick away his shirt and fumble to pull up his pants, the entire room spun.

Bile burned the back of his throat and saliva flooded his cheeks, one hand forced to once again press against the wall for support, practically crawling back up it to stand while his belt jangled, but he held it all in. He'd always held it all in, hadn't he? He'd kept it all to himself, mostly hidden from view, burying it all beneath his handsome surface and hatcher-may-care attitude. He leaned there for several moments, listening to his high, distraught, no less hurting galdor of a wife weep and shout, sobbing and yelling behind him.

Turning to where he'd left his drink, vertigo still in full force, shaking fingers snatched the glass and he downed it all, washing the gross whiskey sting he'd nearly vomited with more of the same. He turned to see Charity in the library, and he opened his mouth to say more, to attempt to explain himself—

Shut up, she shouted, and he blinked at her, suddenly afraid he'd just forgotten what came out of his mouth. N-no, he hadn't said anything.

Fuck, he was drunk.

He barely managed to set the glass down on the bar, knocking it over, dribbling the last drops and trailing his hand heavily along the waxed wood as he swam his way closer to his wife. The air was thick. His legs were wobbly. Everything felt so heavy, but most of all the liquid fire lump in his chest that used to be his heart, nearly burned away into some hard lump of coal,

"Thassssnot it. That's not at all how things happened back then—stop it! Jus'stop. I didn't know! No one told me! Not a single one'f those monsters y'called your friends ever let me know what happened—I jus'figured you were ignorin' me—that I'd made th'right choice to make things right. I jus'—you're not gonna listen. It doesn't fuckin' matter."

Rhys watched her with that book, but his vision was blurry and the room moved of its own accord. He leaned against the archway, wanting to melt down into the floor boards and disappear, the petite blonde's voice too loud, too angry. Irrational, he tried to tell himself, some lucid part of his wasted mind reminding him that she was hardly any more sober than he was. She kept going, kept talking, kept rambling on and on about Niccolette, about how he'd kissed someone else when all he wanted to—

—she kept reminding him of just how much he'd failed. Gods, he'd failed Charity. So much. He was still failing. He was never not going to.

He'd fucked up then. He'd fucked up for so long. He'd fucked up now. He'd keep fucking up. That was all he was good at—fucking things up. He knew it, even now, barely able to navigate one thought to the next. He'd always known it. Damen must've seen it first. Nicco saw it, too. Plenty of others had seen it, from his fellow officers to strangers on the street. His father'd known since his birth. His sister'd been told to stay away from him, right? Everyone knew. So did he.

Now, well, now his wife could see it, here through the magnifying lens of too much opium.

He couldn't escape being born a bastard, after all; he'd just spent so much of his life not knowing why or how much he was destined to fail.

He didn't flinch. He didn't dodge the book that connected roughly with his shoulder in a flutter of pages. He grunted and ran a hand over his face, down his throat, over his chest to his arm, rubbing it. He inhaled a shaky breath and nodded,

"You're right."

So quiet, Rhys groaned the words, staring at the wild, beautiful creature he'd turned to law enforcement in some misguided attempt to honor, only to realize everything he'd ever done for Charity had just been one injustice after another.

"You're fuckin' right, an' I'm sorry."

He sputtered, all spit and tears, ugly in his drunken epiphany and waving his hand toward the ceiling in a helpless gesture, "Th'one time I followed th'rules was my biggest misssstake—I did wha'that bastard told me 'cause I loved you, 'cause I didn't wanna fuck up. An' then I spent a long damn time tryin' to pretend I didn't regret it, tryin' to forget you so I wouldn't have to live a life seein' what I did wrong every mornin' 'cause I didn't have you—Pfffffttt. Like Nicco was th'only woman, Charity. Like I didn't try an' burn away all my feelin's for you for nearly a decade with whoever took a second glance at m'uniform."

His voice grew lower in volume, deeper in tone while the not-galdor dredged deep, fingernails scraping the bottom of the sludgy, dark barrel of his soul. There'd been no one he wanted more his whole life, but he'd been told she wasn't for him. He'd believed those words, all those years ago, and thought, foolishly, that he'd been making the choice that was best—not for him, but for her.

"It's not'bout Nicco, dammit! It's not'bout anyone! Never has been! It's always been 'bout you—an' I already know I fucked up. I already know! Alright?! Is that what you want to hear? I ruined everythin'—every day now, I get to see! Look at you! Why can't I talk t'you? You want to know? I'll fuckin' tell you—what's there to say when you'd rather crawl back t'opiates than to me?! We've both made promises, an' we've both not kept a word—"

Sliding from the wall and taking a step back instead of forward into the library, Rhys shook his head again, unable to clear it, feeling like his entire lanky self was full of molten lead instead of too much alcohol and regret. Unsteady, he shrugged even though the motion made his entire body roll with the motion. Looking down at the book on the floor for a long moment, trying to gather some part of himself for long enough to make the right words, the words he'd wanted to say since walking in the door—the words he wanted to say while wrapped in his wife's arms, all sweaty and wasted, all tangled in that euphoric afterglow with skin against skin,

"—what if I'd died last Achtus, there in m'own blood an' piss? What if I'd left you alone for good, finally? What if I left you t'your fuckin' father, to those erseholes who want t'use you, who want to—godsdamnit!—what if that was me? I saw Nicco's face an' I thought, well, fuck. Maybe it would've been better. How could it be worse?"

With that, he sat on the floor—crumpled, really. Nauseated, he hid his face in his hands, desperate not to hurl, tasting bile again,

"Fuck you. Fuck all 'f this. Jus'—fuck."

Tags:
Charity Valentin
Topics: 23
Race: Galdor
: The voices aren't real, right?
Writer: Raksha

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:24 am

10th Yaris, 2719
PAINTED LADIES | EARLY EVENING

“They…they didn’t tell you?” Charity said between shuddering hitches of her breath, brow drawn and face mottled with mauve patches. Her heart felt heavy in her chest, a slow dawning breaking over the woman. Of course, Diaxio and Benjamin, they’d lied. Her father had lied. Again, they’d lied to her. Every single thing in her whole life was a lie, where was there ever any truth? Had it all died with her mother? Disappeared with her brother?

It shouldn’t have hurt, it shouldn’t have even come as a surprise, but somehow the realization that once again the Hoxian and her father had carefully crafted the isolation and distance from the Valentin felt like a fresh wound all over again. She gripped the edge of the shelving door, pressing a hand to her chest as though it was impossible to catch her breath, weeping with deep gasping breaths.

“Of course.” The blonde whispered, inhaling and lifting her head to stare at the book on the floor, regretting the way it had fallen. Regretting the physicality of her anger. Was this Damen’s legacy, his handiwork in her subconscious? Gods, was she a monster like him in the end?

You’re a D’Arthe. Don’t fool yourself otherwise.

"You're right."

It was so quiet, almost inaudible, but the twisted young woman heard it. She let her eyes drift upwards, red rimmed and dilated.

“No Rhys I’m n—”

"You're fuckin' right, an' I'm sorry."

Charity shook her head, lip trembling as she stood there, clinging to the shelf door as though it was keeping her upright, afraid of becoming her fathers daughter. Rhys continued to talk, slurred and drunk and not at all holding back his thoughts. She didn’t want to hear about his conquests, his distractions, the various women he’d taken to fill the void. It only cut deeper, only made it harder to move on from the damage that Damen had done.

“I don’t want to—you didn’t—it wasn’t you please Rhys don’t—” The pianist sobbed, achingly wishing she could take back everything she’d just launched at the man. It wasn’t his fault, it wasn’t. There was nothing he could have done then, Good Lady they were just children. Damen was far more powerful, far more connected. It wasn’t safe then, by the Ten it wasn’t safe now!

what's there to say when you'd rather crawl back t'opiates than to me?! We've both made promises, an' we've both not kept a word—"

Charity made a sound in her throat, a broken noise, letting go of the door to make her way towards the man. She slowed, not quite reaching him, pausing at the armchairs to shake her head.

“It’s not like that. It’s not like that at all. I don’t know how…I’ve…it’s…” How could she tell him the truth, when even now the laudanum pulsated in her veins and danced through her mind. How would the truth be any better than the opiates? At least they were a substance, a tangible thing she could cling to as some modicum of an excuse.

The broken Seventen spoke again, and a thrill of remembered fear and anguish rolled up her spine, forcing Charity to move towards the man again even as his taller form crumpled to the hardwood floor.

“Don’t say that! Don’t ever say that!” She cried, stumbling to her knees and shuffling towards the defeated drunk. She knelt beside him, reaching to wrap her arms around his shoulders, leaning her head against the roguish mop of strawberry blonde hair with a woeful sound.

“It wouldn’t have been better. Don’t say that. How could it possibly be better. How could—” Loosing herself to the weeping momentarily, Charity stopped trying to make words, hugging the crumpled wick tightly as she cried heavily. Eyes closed against the tears, the pale creature took her time before finding her words again.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. You deserve better. You deserve so much better than me. I shouldn’t have dragged you into this mess, back then, in Bethas. You should have just walked away, I should have pushed you away but I didn’t and I’m so so sorry.” Mumbling against his shoulder, Charity sniffed, and hugged him tighter.

“There’s something wrong with me Rhys. I’m hearing things, I’ve been hearing them for ages. I didn’t tell you, I didn’t want to tell you. I was scared you’d leave if you knew I’ve gone moony. I don’t want you to leave me.” Lifting her head, the young woman drew back slightly, brushing stray hair from the wicks forehead with a forlorn laugh.

“Sometimes I can make him be quiet, sometimes. If I have enough tonic. But not always. It’s so exhausting, I hear him all the time. Screaming at me, laughing at me. I’m scared Rhys. I’m scared because…because I can feel this…” She frowned, gripping a fist against her chest firmly and shaking her head.

“…this rage. This red hot anger inside, every time I hear his voice. And I want to…” Wiping her face to clear the tears from her cheeks, sniffling thickly, Charity smirked and reached for the book she’d hurled so violently at her husband.

“I’ve got a plan Rhys. To fix it all. To fix everything. There are books here, with spells I’ve never heard of before. Fantastic, powerful, wonderful spells. I’ve been reading them. And learning them.” Shaking the book for emphasis, she lowered it, looking over the inebriated features of her illegal partner with violet eyes full of unshed tears and a glimmer of vengeful passion.

“I love you, more than anything I can put into words. I’ll show you, I’ll show you how much. Then, we can be safe, and happy. And I won’t hear him anymore, and I won’t need the tonic.” She nodded, as though it was the most reasonable thing to say in the world, smiling shakily and brushing a lock of hair behind his ear.

“I’m sorry I thought ill of you, husband. It was unreasonable, and wrong. Forgive me, please?” The pianist said softly, lowering her hand as she sat down beside him properly, leaning on her arm whilst resting the book in her lap. Earnestness played across her features, filtering through the opiates and the half-explanations, desperately wanting to go back a few moments in time to when things were all just a heated mess of hands and skin.

Rhys Valentin

Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Painted Ladies
Maybe he should've just hurled there in the middle of the room, on the floor, on the damn expensive carpet. Maybe that was just what he needed, head spinning, guts twisted into so many knots he couldn't imagine his insides being anything but a mess, thoughts so scattered and slurred that surely none of them mattered anymore. It wasn't like Charity was even listening—she was too fucking high and he was too fucking guttered, anyway.

"N'one told me a fuckin' thing—I'm sure it was on purpose, lookin' back." He growled, irrationally made angrier by her surprise instead of finding any comfort in her ignorance. Rhys didn't look at her, staring at the floor as it tilted and spun in his blurred vision, churning his stomach, anger spilling from his lips.

Did he have any heart left? He'd bled and sweat himself dry, talking to Nicco, and then he'd replaced it all with whiskey and stupid, wasted tears.

Chroveshit, all of it.

Exhausting, too. He felt trapped between the maw of some beast and a dark alley in the Dives—no way out, anymore, and in over his head. No choice left but to be swallowed and try to cut and claw his way out. That's how it felt, anyway. Maybe he would just let himself be digested instead. Gods only knew.

Face hidden behind sweaty, trembling hands, he hissed at the brush of her frayed field so close, hunching almost defensively when she bothered to join him on the floor, when her arms reached to circle around his crumpled, defeated form,

"Don't—"

Don't pretend you mean it. Don't patronize me with false apologies. Don't ramble on with more promises no one's going to even hold onto tomorrow.

"—y'don't fuckin' know what you're saying. I don't deserve better—I fucked up, Charity. It's my fault. Should've checked in on you sooner. Should've told Damnen to fuck off all those years ago. I let this shit happen—not—not you—if I'd not—"

He really didn't want any hugs. He was gross. He felt so disgusting—not just on the outside from all that Yaris heat, but on the inside, deep and unreachable. Nauseated, he only tasted the whiskey-laden vomit that taunted the back of his throat, but further down, invisible, failure was all that burned, stinking like garbage, beneath the knit back together bones of his ribs. Charity kept talking, through him, over him, and he just let her, falling quiet, trying not to sob lest he heave instead.

"—waait—what?" The lanky not-galdor managed to gurgle, somewhere in the middle of his petite blonde wife rambling about voices and feeling moony. He inhaled roughly when she squeezed him tighter, only to belch, tensing as though he was going to shove her away. He snatched for her arms with intoxicated swiftness when she pulled away, steadying himself, grounding himself against the way being so inebriated made his vertigo worse instead of better, trying to find her face in the blur of his vision, trying to keep his grip gentle, "Hearing voices? Him—him who? You're hearing some man's voice? N-not just some man. You hear Damen's voice? An' you haven't told me—for fuck's sake—"

Rhys groaned, shaking his head and immediately regretting it, teary, flushed face twisting into some angry sort of scowl, confusion tugging at all the edges of it, feeling like he was the moony one, really,

"Sssttoop." He managed to beg somewhere between her words about a plan and spells and gods only knew what else, "Stop! Th'fuck does magic have to do with trauma, with bein' an addict? Y'can't come to the mona for shit in the state of mind you live in—let alone for some kinda family revenge."

Even the wick knew that, raised galdor, living the delicate balance of Seventen professional and so many lies. He'd received psychological training as an Inspector, and while it'd been limited, gender- and racially-biased, and hardly enough to really handle the beautiful mess of a problem in front of him, it had given him something—and something was more than nothing, "Charity. Shit. Y'can't replace one with another—the voice? It'ssss no'real. It's damage—it's hurt—it's jus' all that hurt turnin' into somethin' y'can hear. Y'can't replace opium with magic—both're deadly, godsdamnit. You've never needed anything—any 'f that—"

Anger sharpened the edge of his tone, slicing through all the alcohol in his veins, and genuine concern fluttered in his chest. She wanted to share something, and he wasn't having it, hardly concerned about a bunch of dusty books when his wife, his only anchor left in this chaos, was laying more problems than solutions at his feet, unsteady as he was already.

Rhys wanted to fall over, to curl up on the rug and sob, maybe to finally throw up, mouth full of spit. He just sort of rocked a little, closing his blue eyes because they were heavy with a new wave of tears,

"—and all I've ever needed is you. I hate that I can see that clearly now. I hate feelin' like it's too fuckin' late for us. Is it? I don't want—"

He waved a hand, slowly lowering himself all the way to the floor into a lanky, curled up ball of sad. It made the world spin less, but he sobbed a little, blearily staring at pale skin he'd wanted to touch and taste and press too close to, resisting the urge to shove Charity farther away instead,

"—there's nothin' to be sorry for—I jus'—I don't want you to show me anything. I don't think there can be any safe for us anymore. And happy? Fuck. Everything's so broken. We gotta fix this shit—"

Rhys flapped a hand again for emphasis, back and forth between them before he covered his face with it, unwilling to look at his wife, unwilling to look at anything,

"—we gotta do somethin' about our mess before we can, I don't know, uh, get out of this dark, tangled stuff we're stuck in—dealing with your ersehole father an' whatever else he's hiding behind. I can't keep pretendin' things are right an' good when they're not."

Charity Valentin

Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:05 pm

10th Yaris, 2719

Charity’s eyes widened as the wick grasped her arms, nodding woodenly as Rhys all but yelled at her, his breath rancid with whiskey.

“How could I tell you Rhys? How could I possibly tell you I’ve been hearing my fathers voice all this time? Indecently nattering and yelling and berating me, all the time, over and over….what would you have done?” She gasped a sob, clutching the book to her chest as he released her.

“Magic has everything to do with it. I can—” He wasn’t listening though, drunk and frustrated and so upset with it all. So over it all.

A writhing twisting sense of concern turned over in her stomach.

“It’s not like that. I’m not replacing…anything I just…you…can’t you understand Rhys? I want to fix this. I want to fix us. I just need to…if I can…” None of her words seemed to be enough, to make enough sense. Couldn’t he see that if she could learn these spells, if she could confront her father, then the voices would stop? They wouldn’t have to be so afraid anymore?

Couldn’t he see that?

She watched her husband all but melt to the floor, curled up sobbing his woes. Over her, because of her. The writhing concern in her stomach twisted again, and guilt swept through her field in a shimmering wave as she put the book aside. The blonde galdor wanted to reach for him, but she stayed her hand, looking down at it resting lightly in the folds of her indigo dress. All of this, this mess, was her.

It was her. It had always been her. And now, the love of her life was telling her as such. They weren’t okay, it wasn’t okay, and honestly she was the problem. He could just leave, one day, just walk out of that front door and never come back. Plenty of women would want to pick up the broken pieces, and she would be left behind in this cold empty home with nothing to show for it all. A wasted life.

But he wouldn’t. Because try as he had, the wick had been unable to find love. The galdor had been unable to find freedom. Tied to each other by something larger then themselves. Fate? Love? Even the aura’s that encompassed them, a field and a glamour, seemed to be entwined together. Sometimes it didn’t feel like they were separate at all, just one bundle of being in two bodies.

Eventually though, even that might not be enough. Eventually though, he would stop trying. He would stop coming back.

And you’d be all alone.

Wiping her cheeks, shifting on the hardwood floor of their home in the Dives, Charity lay down in front of the broken Seventen. She tucked a hand under her cheek, the other resting on her wrist, looking into the crystalline gaze so bleary with alcohol and grief. Her violet gaze swept across his features, pupils dilated heavily with the opiates in her veins. The petite creature didn’t reach for the man before her, simply looking at him, tearful but not crying.

“I want to be that person you knew in Brunnhold. That girl who snuck into your dorm to study Perceptive 101, who hated the theory so much, but knew that you’d be right there to tell her the answer. I want to be that person who would watch you across the cafeteria, sneaking glances, knowing that you were probably looking too. Afraid of who might catch us. I want to be the person that you deserve Rhys. Not this…not this husk of a being.” Swallowing the fiery rage that burned within her, the part of Damen that seemed frighteningly to exist when she never wanted it to, Charity wet her lips with her tongue as she grasped at hazy thoughts.

“What if we didn’t worry about Damen, or Diaxio. Or anything else. What if…what if we made a promise. Right now.” Taking her hand from her wrist, the galdor held up her hand, all fingers bar her pinky finger curled under.

“An oath. Bound by everything we have ever said, or done. Unbreakable. A promise, to put aside everything else for now, and focus only on us. On this.” The spellcaster nodded slightly, as though emphasizing her point.

“I will discard every mote of laudanum in this house, every single drop of it. I will close my mind to the madness, and if I hear him there, in my mind, I will tell you. I will seek comfort and silence in your arms, not in the false kindness of opiates. I don’t care about my father, or whatever threats exist beyond these walls, because the only threat I fear now love, is loosing you.” She swallowed thickly again, a lump in her throat and her voice breaking over a whisper.

“Rhys, I want nothing else more, in the entire Circle, than to be happy. With you. To fill our home with laughter, and maybe one day, a family. You say we’re not safe, I know. I know that. But if we can focus on us, fix this darkness, then together we can be stronger.” Wiping her cheeks now wet with tears, Charity sniffed and held her pinky up again, wedding ring catching the low light of the afternoon sun through the curtains.

“I, Charity Ann Valentin, promise you I will be better. I will work harder. I will be the wife you should have had, and I will not let the shadow of my father loom over us like some ghoul of death.” She bit her lower lip briefly, before speaking again quietly.

“If you can promise not to leave me. Not yet. Please.”

Rhys Valentin

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:51 am

Painted Ladies
"It'd be better 'cause I wouldn't have 't fuckin' deal with any 'f this." Gurgled the tall blond, unable to roll away despite his instinctual desire to do so when Charity sank to the floor and reached for him. He didn't want her arms around him, not anymore. He'd wanted to come home and—

"I want this mess. I've wanted this mess since third form. I haven't wanted anything else." Rhys moaned while the petite woman sobbed, the motion of her body against his while she gasped and cried making him more nauseated than he already was. So fucking guttered—he shouldn't have downed that glass—he shouldn't have—his hands moved clumsily, desperate to still her, stomach churning, self-loathing like lava in his guts,

"Stop. We're both—sto—what?"

He was too wasted for this. Too drunk. Tilting his head a little, bleary eyes opened reluctantly and while he couldn't see her face while she wrapped her arms tighter around him—too tight, but he didn't fucking care if he suffocated here, against her body and in her embrace. It would be the death he'd wanted when he first came home, right?

Something wrong with her? He knew that, he wanted to say. Something wrong with them both—

Voices.

He groaned, swallowing bile again, holding back vomit.

"Charity, I—"

As an Inspector of the Investigative Division, psychological training had been part of his regular routine. In Numbrey, even though he'd not been particularly sure of his focus at first, he'd taken several classes in order to prepare himself for investigation and dealing with various levels of society. As a Perceptive student, even in Brunnhold, learning the inner workings of the mind were part of his class schedule, and despite being aware of his own personal issues long before he knew of the truth of his birthright, he'd actually been a decent student.

The risks he chose to take with himself were his own vice—adrenaline his drug of choice because he needed the release and not merely because he didn't know any better. He was considered relatable as an Inspector, having one of the more robust networks of informants and one of the best records of relating with contacts and captures compared to almost everyone else on the Investigative force. As a Patrol Sergeant? Some things hadn't changed, and yet his ability to trust had been so damaged, so marred, that he struggled to make the connections he once had.

Charity was talking through broken breaths and it was all he could do to follow along, the ground beneath him tilting and his head spinning,

"Issa—It's a—fuck—issa rather normal response to trauma—projecting. You're jus'—stuff has jus'—It's too much. It's all too fuckin' much." He slurred, unable to explain anything in a detached, clinical matter right now. Rolling a little, he clumsily attempted to reach for her hands in order to hold them against his flushed, bare chest, "You're no'crazy. Seems perfectly right t'me that you're fuckin' pissed. I jus'—there's a better way to—I wish—"

He wished a lot of things. The tall blond wished she'd channel her anger away from drugs and toward his body, even now he'd much rather feel her rage in slick friction than hear it in tears. He'd make the voices quiet—he knew how.

Tangling his fingers with hers, he sighed, the sloppy exhale flapping scarred lips loudly,

"—there's better ways t' deal with all the hurt, lover. You've—it's all been so hard, but you're not crazy. I don't think so, anyway. I think that Damen—he's jus'—a monster an' it's haunting, y'know? You don't think I'm not fuckin' terrified'f shadows, too? I don't hear things, but—I have an outlet. I have—work."

If he'd been a bit less exemplary with his physical responses to known violent criminals since returning to his post in Intas, well, could anyone really blame him? He'd tried to keep his hands cleaner, but, well, it was hard.

Everything was so hard.

"Magic—wha—? No. Godsdamnit. You can't—" Rhys blubbered a bit, self-conscious of himself now that he was so self-aware of his heritage. His relationship to the mona was illegal, an anathema, a deep and precious thing he'd overstepped the bounds of the moment he stepped foot onto Brunnhold's campus, albeit unknowingly. Still, they listened. Still, he lived and cast and yet he knew it was wrong to attempt to cast when out of your own clocking head,

"Y'can't be doin' magic like—like this, darling." He struggled, forgetting he'd laced their hands together, forgetting the weight on his chest was him holding her captive against his bare skin. In the end, he waggled an elbow and gurgled, "Th'mona. Won't like it. Too dangerous. Y'need t'work on your—on—"

Tugging a hand free, he poked a finger where her heart beat, two fingers, pressed there for a moment before dragging upward slowly to come to rest at her temple, implying both of those places: her heart and her mind, her sobriety and her sanity, needed some kind of balance before any relationship with the mona could be reliable.

She was the galdor, she should know this shit anyway. He shouldn't know a thing—who was he to tell her how to do better, being the half-bred bastard he was?

"Y'shouldn't be castin' like this. I don't think we'll ever be safe, an'—listen, doin' all this shit? Whatever 't is you're drinkin' 'r takin'? Isssssnot ... it's not helping with th' voice. I want to help you. I don't know how, I—"

She shifted and he sort of lolled onto his back, spreading out, staring at the watermarked ceiling of their sitting room even though his vision was blurry, both because it was failing and because he was so fucking guttered. He closed his eyes when she begged him for forgiveness, some rough gurgle of laughter bubbling in his chest, escaping his lips,

"There's nothing to—uh—apologize for. I mean, I'm sorry, too. I didn't mean—it wasn't like I was gonna—I jus'—can we take our clothes back off now an' deal with th' rest 'f this later? I'm hardly thinkin' straight an'—"

Rhys' grin was stupid. Stupid and tired, but gods, he loved this woman. They were both such a mess—how could he place any blame? How could she forgive him? What did it matter?

Part of him was terrified of what it'd be like if they were safe, if they were sober and happy, if they weren't angry or afraid. Would she love him as he was? Would he even matter—if things were different? Or was this the best they had—right now? Right here? Right on this edge of too much?

"—jus' like this fuckin' house, Charity, I wanna fix things. I don't know what magic's gotta do with it, but I need you—" His mind and heart genuinely meant he longed for her sober and he longed for her happy and sane, even while he rolled on the floor so intoxicated he wasn't sure he could stand at the moment, even though his body screamed heatedly that he wanted all of the petite pianist in plenty of other ways—too drunk to separate the differences in desire between the emotional, the intellectual, and the physical.

"—all of you."
Charity Valentin

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:03 am

10th Yaris, 2719

Drunk, confused, tired and angry, the wick took her hands in his and tugged them to his chest, ignoring her childish pinky promise as he tried to reason with her. Tried to explain away her insanity with logic that neither of them could follow at this moment. Charity tucked closer, laying on her side captured in too warm hands whilst Rhys rationalized her response to the trauma that had chased them for so long now—her for so long now.

She didn’t want to accept being angry. Her father was angry, all the clocking time, and all it wrought was pain and heartache. There was a fire in her, a warped and twisted thing that was too much like him for her to bare. The blonde frowned, her stomach churning.

Gods, she could never be like Damen.

“Perhaps I should…perhaps I need something to do. Something to focus on instead of these monsters hiding in the shadows. Something like…I don’t know. I could work too. Make friends…I just…I can’t.” The galdor tsked, shaking her head a little.

“Not like this no, but…I’ve heard that Hoxian’s cast in a state of inebriation. Not that I’m saying I should just that…there’s realms of monic conversation we’ve maybe not explored. These books…if you…” She dropped it, aware it wasn’t the time to start that conversation again, not with the Seventen slurring his way though a jumble of words something between a whine and a groan. He drew a hand away, nestled there face to face on the hardwood floor, touching two fingers to her chest where her heart thumped its steady beat before dragging up to her temple.

“I know that.” Charity said almost petulantly, not for a moment thinking that she knew better than the wick. It didn’t matter what he was, to the blonde, the man before her was the same Valentin she’d known since they were children. The mona had always responded to him, always allowed his casting, without repercussions. Her field wove so seamlessly with his glamour that sometimes it was impossible to tell where they separated, belike in so many ways. There was no way she could think less of his opinion, when the mona itself didn’t question it.

“Drinking.” The woman said quickly, almost too sharply, before nodding a little.

“Not taking, love. Just drinking. The tonic. Too much tonic.” She admitted, feeling filthy and wretched admitting it so plainly. Having to clarify that no, she was not back out there when he was away searching for Kings Crop. Rhys rolled on his back, and Charity tucked her hands back under her cheek as she lay on her side watching him, unable to help the soft snort of half laughter at his slurred request.

“Dear, you can barely sit up let alone coordinate undoing fastenings and…well…I’m not sure you’re able to…uh…perform in this state.” The violet eyed galdor smiled warmly, a small spark of mischief in her gaze behind the laudanum and the psychological impacts of her trauma.

It was only now that the blonde realized the voice was quiet for the moment. Her heart skipped a beat with relief, and guilt. How had she not noticed before? How had she fallen so far into the dark to think that she had to fix this on her own? Maybe talking about it was a start, a first step. Acknowledging it instead of trying to force it down.

I need you—all of you.

Charity looked at the profile of his features, a nose broken and reset, a lip busted and healed, scars of his time with her so far. His hair, a slight strawberry blonde, mussed and damp from sweat and the rebellious piercings that he had so terribly flaunted in Brunnhold catching the low light of the sun begging to enter through the curtains of the library. Dressed in his uniform pants, and little more, Numbrey shaped frame wirey but strong for a so-called galdor. A wick, though more galdor than most she knew.

She loved him. She loved him, and she needed to show him. Needed to be more for him.

Shifting a little closer, one leg lazily tangling in the sprawl of his own, the pianist tilted her head to kiss the high curve of his cheekbone still laying on her side and facing the Seventen.

“You have all of me, Rhys.” The young woman said quietly, reaching out one hand to rest on his bare chest, wedding ring silvery against the tan of his skin. If he were to turn to face her, the fallen woman would hold his gaze with her own, wanting so much for the broken creature to see that she meant it. By the Pantheon she meant it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information