[Closed] [Memory] A Life Expected

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Desiderio Morandi
Topics: 7
Race: Galdor
: The Steadfast Tin Inspector
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Template

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:32 pm

briarwood hall, vienda
afternoon on the 22nd of roalis, 2706
S he just stood there, looking at him. Desiderio reminded himself that he hated children, but he couldn’t quite muster up his frown; instead he just looked back at her, feeling faintly confused. She looked behind him – at where he had left his book, he was certain – and he felt the sinking anxiety that she might ask about it.

It was always that way in school. In Bastia, he had never had to hide his drawings away, or rather there had been no one to hide them from: Mother and the nurses and even Dr. Bentivegna had all loved and encouraged his sketching, with Mother even saying that he should consider studying the masters in Tiv someday.

Somewhere, it had changed. Mother spoke more and more of late of respectable occupations, which was ridiculous, because no Morandi had ever worked. She spoke of law almost as much as she spoke of marriage, as if the Morandi name must be swallowed up completely.

And worse were the other second forms at Brunnhold. It had the first time been Benoit, the little worm – oh, how he hated Benoit Bellecourt! Benoit had snatched the book out of his hands in the dining hall and had gone through all the pages right there in front of the second-form boys, laughing at the flowers and the birds, as if a boy weren’t allowed to draw flowers. Ever since, he had pretended to stop, and had been very careful where he took it out and where he stowed it away to.

But she didn’t ask that, or say anything, at first. She said, oh! her mouth making a little ‘o’, and he pursed his lips, wanting to say, Out with it.

His brows furrowed when she went on, trying to make sense of it.

Nurse shouldn’t have been sleeping; it was nurse’s job to take care of her, not her job to take care of nurse. She was a nurse. That was rather what she was there for, tired or not. But he didn’t say anything, because he thought that might upset her.

He was sad for a moment that Henrietta was only a stuffed hingle, because he had never been allowed a hingle – or an osta, or anything like that, and not for want of asking – either. But then Aurelie looked down and began biting her nails, and he felt sad for an entirely different reason. He caught the hint of big green eyes watching him through her coppery fringe.

He was fine alone, he told himself. He was fine alone most of the time; he had been alone all his life, so why should he not be fine alone?

And most of all, he didn’t care in the least that she looked – sad.

“No,” he said, then paused. “You should not go back,” he amended, “alone, at least. I think it must not… be safe.” At least until he was positively certain, he told himself, that she had broken no bones falling off of the chair. “And I should like to have help finding my way back, myself,” he added. In case he fainted, which was very important.

He paused again, shifting on his feet.

He swallowed. “I was only – well, I…” Slowly, he turned toward the table where his book was, swallowing dryly again. Coloring, she had said. “I was going to – to draw. Would you like to, to… stay and… watch?”

Tags:
Aurelie Steerpike
Topics: 25
Race: Passive
: Deeply Awkward Mom Friend
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:24 pm

Roalis 22, 2706 - Afternoon
Briarwood Hall, Vienda
Oh, she knew it. She shouldn't have said anything. Or lied; she knew she could have lied, but she had never gotten very good at it. Everyone could always tell somehow, no matter how hard she tried. Aurelie didn't like lying much anyway, so that was fine. Usually. Now she felt certain she ought to have said something else. Desiderio made a face at her when she started to talk. That was how she knew that, of course, he didn't want her there.

That made sense. She was younger and a girl, after all, and she had never really heard that older boys liked playing with young girls. Even if they weren't as much of a baby as they had been before. And she hadn't seen him all week, had she? Aurelie thought that was proof enough. She had just been a little hopeful that it was something else. There was never anyone around to play with, not even older boys who frowned a lot.

Aurelie looked up all the way and took her hand away from her mouth. It hung open for just a moment, shaped into a surprised 'o' when Desiderio kept speaking. Going back to the nursery by herself would have been perfectly safe; this was her house, after all. She knew where everything was and had done it probably a thousand times before. No, more than a thousand! Still, it was nice of him to be worried. He was nice, she decided, even if he didn't look very nice.

"I can help!" She could! She knew where his room was. At least she was fairly certain she did. She hadn't been over there, but she knew where it was supposed to be. Guests always stayed in the same part of Briarwood Hall, unless there were quite a lot of them. It was quite a long way from here, she thought solemnly; much further than the nursery. So she would absolutely have to help. "Uhm, l-later. If you want."

Desiderio paused. Aurelie wondered if he was feeling all right. He looked uncomfortable. She didn't know, exactly, what kind of sick he was—just that she couldn't get it, so it was all right for her to be here. Asking those sorts of things was rude. Aurelie knew that, too; Mother had told her that almost straight away. He turned back to the book, and Aurelie did too.

Drawing! Aurelie's eyes got very wide. Aurelie was no good at drawing. She liked coloring, but she wasn't any good at drawing the pictures herself. Nurse said that it was all right, to not be very good at something, but Eufemia had laughed at her drawings last summer when Ana wasn't there. She hadn't really wanted to try again since. She was probably especially bad at it.

"Can I? Really?" That was much better than coloring in the nursery alone, or even telling stories to Henrietta. Henrietta was a very good listener, but Aurelie had never gotten to watch anyone else draw before. "I w-won't be a bother, uhm, I promise. I can be very quiet."
Desiderio Morandi

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:24 pm

briarwood hall, vienda
He thought he should have been more annoyed, but he really did need help getting back to the guest rooms, and he supposed that… Well, there was something endearing about it. He couldn’t have said what it was. She was the first one here in Vienda who seemed remotely concerned with where he was or what he was doing.

He almost smiled, though he didn’t, in the end. It startled him a little then to see her eyes go so wide and round, her face lighting up as if someone had shone a lamp on it. Desiderio blinked, for once the furrow of his brow relaxing, his face blandly surprised. “Really,” he echoed.

He supposed little girls were rather easier to impress than he had imagined. Or at least, this one was.

It was only that he was older, he told himself as he turned and went to get the book; he was supposed to, he told himself, make sure she was happy. It was an obligation, just like homework and marriage. If he upset her now, sending her back to the nursery, she would remember that all her life; he felt sure of it. That was no way to go into a marriage. Besides, she had said it would be all right, but he knew how most children were. Quiet and mannerly one moment, and absolute terrors the next. If he was a little lonely himself, it wasn’t that in the least; or that she seemed so terribly excited simply to stay in the room with him, or interested in what he was doing. It wasn’t that in the least.

Quiet, then. That would do very well. She seemed very pleased to watch, and he would scarcely even notice she was there; it would be just as if he were alone. He frowned a little, thinking about it that way. He could not have said why.

He went over to the heavy mahogany desk on one wall, which had two chairs still by it. Without looking back, he gestured to Aurelie.

He looked down at the slim calfskin book in his hands, tied shut with a leather string. The back of his neck prickled suddenly.

She was too young to laugh, he told himself. Girls only started laughing at you when they turned nine or ten, at the least. Some little girls were very mean, but they were mean in that idiotic sort of way that all mean children are; the meanness only started hurting when they got to nine or ten.

He still hesitated a few moments, hearing her come up very quietly behind him. He drew the string loose and opened up the book with a crackle.

The ribbon was in yesterday’s sketches. He had found a strange sort of sculpture in what a maid had called the Ipomoea Corridor, whatever that meant, where the wallpaper had been all vines and purplish white flowers. He had drawn some of those at the edges, but the page was covered in the sculpture, which he had sat drawing from various angles for hours: it might have been a swan, only it had the strangest curling fringe of feathers on its head, and a terribly downcast look on its face, Desiderio had thought.

Glancing up sheepishly at Aurelie, he almost didn’t. But then he turned the book so she could see, staring fixedly down at the charcoal, feeling his cheeks beginning to burn rather horribly.

He started to turn the page, then stopped. Only a little birdsong twittered in through the crack in the window.

Quiet. Yes.

“What do you – what do you think?” he asked suddenly. “Of them. I mean.” As if it mattered. He glanced up, even more sheepish, then glanced back down at the page.

Aurelie Steerpike

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Briarwood Hall, Vienda
Now Desiderio wasn't frowning, not at her or anything else. In fact, he looked as if he hadn't thought she would say yes at all. Aurelie didn't understand that; if he didn't think so, why had he asked? She couldn't draw anything, not a single thing; it was a wonderful thing to be able to do. Even just watching seemed like lots of fun. Didn't everyone think so?

What sorts of things did he draw? Aurelie almost asked, but she remembered she had promised to be quiet. She would see, anyway. The book of stories from Father had a lot of wonderful pictures in it. And her favorite bedtime story from Nurse, the one about the rabbit. They hardly even needed to look at the book anymore, she had heard it so many times, but Aurelie liked to look at the pictures while Nurse told her the story.

Aurelie didn't hesitate; she scrambled up into the second chair right away, sitting as properly as she could. He'd said it was all right, but she couldn't help but think if she took too long he would change his mind and not want to play with her after all. This wasn't really playing, she supposed, but it was fun anyway.

The book was tied shut with a string. Just like she promised, she was very quiet while he opened it. She couldn't stop herself from leaning in to look, though. It was a thin book, but nice—much nicer than her coloring pages, which she also thought made sense. This was a proper book for real drawing, not for her to do her coloring in.

It was hard to see with the pages all turned away from her like that. Aurelie tilted her head to try to see it better, which sort of helped. She could see the edges best, and that looked like—oh! She knew that pattern. It was the wallpaper in Ipomoea Corridor. Aurelie liked that wallpaper, covered in morning glories. The real thing grew outside along one of the walls. Aurelie wanted to tell Desiderio about it—about how the flowers went to sleep at night and woke up in the morning, ask him if they had those in Bastia too or if they were only in Anaxas—but she had promised she would be quiet, and she kept her promises. She bit her lip.

Besides, he probably didn't care about the flowers. Not the real ones. Boys didn't like flowers, did they? Except the gardeners, they probably liked flowers. Aurelie hoped they did, or how else could they take good care of them? Desiderio wasn't a gardener, but he was an artist, and she thought they must like flowers too. There were an awful lot of paintings of them, after all. Being an artist must be more important than being a boy, then.

It was hard, being so quiet. Aurelie didn't think it would be. There wasn't usually anyone to talk to except Henrietta and Nurse, not until Ana came home. Sometimes she talked to Cook, too, she supposed. That was a secret, though, from Mother and Father and even Ana. So she hadn't much practice with talking, and thought being quiet would be easy. Well, she was doing it, at least. She could even hear birds outside, just barely through the crack in the window. Maybe she could smell the summer air outside—there was an awful lot of dust in here, though, so she couldn't be sure.

So the question was a surprise, just as much as letting her stay. Aurelie looked up, but Desiderio looked down before she could answer. "Did you really draw that?" she blurted out, eyes wide. "T-that's in the hallway! I know that one." she pointed one small finger at it, being careful not to touch the page.

"I-it's very good," she continued, sincere as could be and a little breathless. "How did you draw that? Are you going to be an a-artist then, when you grow up?" Aurelie didn't know what she wanted to be when she grew up. She supposed it didn't really matter. She was already a Steerpike, and then she'd go to school, and then she'd be married. So probably just that. She didn't really know what you did, when you were married, except that Mother and Father were. Being a Mother, she guessed; beyond that, she hadn't really given it much thought.

That was different though. She wasn't good at anything. Not like Desiderio and his drawings. That was something special.
Desiderio Morandi

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:38 am

briarwood hall, vienda
In the corner of his eye, he could see her wide green eyes and a little of her face. If she was smiling, it didn’t seem like a mean smile. He tried not to look, still. One short, freckled finger entered his line of sight, followed by a small stubby hand. He didn’t have to tell her not to touch the charcoal; she stopped well short of it.

Which didn’t matter, he supposed, since it was only a sketch, and the opposite page had smudged it up well enough to begin with. He wasn’t sure why he’d shown her, after all. The itchy feeling of having made a horrible mistake was getting worse and worse by the minute.

It was an absolutely terrible sketch, and worse because her eyes were on it and her finger was pointing at it. He had not shown anybody his drawing since Brunnhold, not even Mother; he would have liked to say he had gotten better at it since then, but it was more likely that he had only gotten worse. He could even now see little messy prints where he had smudged up the poor bird’s face on accident, and where he had botched the feathers of the left wing, a little hidden by its misshapen breast.

He felt quite certain that his face was very red. If she wasn’t laughing at him now, she would laugh at him when she grew up. Oh, he knew it.

He cleared his throat again. Of course he had drawn it. But she went on, and he smiled a very stupid smile, as if his lips could not help twitching up into it. She had recognized it! He had drawn it well enough for her to recognize it.

Well, he did not believe that it was very good. But it was good enough to recognize, and it felt very nice to have her say that, even though she was very small. “I, ah,” he began, swallowing. “Th-Thank you. Aurelie.”

He looked up at her, meeting her eyes. She was sitting very neatly and properly.

All of the sudden he was speaking, again as if he could not help it. “I draw things over and over again,” he said, “and I look at them a great deal before I draw them. Flowers like these, they are very hard, but I love to look at them and draw them. I try to find the shape of it, or what shapes it has inside of it, put together to make the whole.” He had never said them before, but the words were familiar. He found a lump unexpectedly in his throat. “That is what Mr. Alessandri said to do. In – in Caroult.”

Not for the first time, a wave of what must have been homesickness welled up in him. He was fiddling with the edge of the page, nearly dog-earing it, and he smoothed it out. He felt that he was smiling and frowning all at once.

He looked down, then looked back over at her. “I would like to be an artist, yes,” he said very quietly. “But you must not tell anyone that. Mother does not want me to be an artist, but I have – I have – you will see.”

He felt sure he should not have told her that. She would get older, and she would be ashamed.

“Would that be all right?” he asked anyway, the shaky smile still on his face. “Being married to an artist?”

Aurelie Steerpike

Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Briarwood Hall, Vienda
Her answer was probably very annoying. He had only asked her what she thought of the drawing, not that she should ask him anything in return. Oh, but she did want to know. She didn't know what being an artist was like, not really, but it did seem very special.

She looked from the drawing to Desiderio, still sitting as neatly as she could. Good posture was important for a lady, Mother always said so. Mother and Ana both had very good posture. Desiderio didn't, but she didn't know that it was so important for boys as it was for ladies. He had been frowning when she had looked at the drawing. He was smiling now. Smiling! Aurelie smiled too, bigger than she had before.

Smiling was much better than frowning. And she had asked her question, and it must not have been terrible after all. They could be friends, if he was smiling. Aurelie hadn't really had a friend before, but as they were to be married, they probably should be friends. Oh, that was terribly exciting, too! Marriage seemed so very far away, but they could be friends right now.

Aurelie knew she ought to have said "you're welcome", when he thanked her, because that was polite. But Desiderio started talking again, talking quite a lot, and she didn't want to interrupt. That was much worse than not saying "you're welcome", in terms of rudeness. And she did want to hear him talk about drawing the flowers. Aurelie's eyes fixed on the flowers, listening.

She didn't really understand what that meant, finding shapes and putting them together. That was why she wasn't an artist. Or maybe it was because she wasn't that she didn't understand—either way, she liked hearing Desiderio talk about drawing flowers. Even if he seemed a little sad at the end of it.

Well, that made sense. Aurelie had lived in Briarwood Hall all her life. She couldn't imagine moving so far away that she could never come home again, not like Desiderio had done. Aurelie felt a little sad, too, because they would have to live in Anaxas even after they grew up and were married. Anaxas was wonderful, though, and so was Briarwood Hall. She would just have to make sure he knew that, and then this could be home, too. Yes, that would make it better.

So he did want to be an artist! He said it so quietly Aurelie almost didn't hear. At first she didn't know why, but then he went on. Aurelie nodded, very solemnly. She wouldn't tell, not ever. Friends didn't tell each other's secrets; Aurelie hadn't had one before, but she knew that much. Why wouldn't Mrs. Morandi want him to be an artist? Aurelie didn't understand that, but she did understand about Mothers.

"I won't tell," Aurelie promised, very serious, even though she was still smiling. She considered the question a moment, and then nodded. "Yes, I think so. M-more than all right!" She didn't know much about artists, but it did sound like a wonderful thing to be. So being married to one seemed like it ought to be wonderful, too.

"W-what are you going to draw now?" There were no flowers or statues or anything like that in the room. Artists drew all kinds of things, but Aurelie wasn't sure what sorts of things were good to draw in this room. Lots of books, of course, and pens and the sorts of things that went on desks. A lamp, too. She did like the lamp, it was very pretty. Big and heavy, with dragonflies all over it. There were a lot of lamps like this one in the house, and this wasn't her favorite, but it was still very nice, even when it wasn't on. Maybe he would draw the lamp. Or maybe Desiderio didn't like lamps. She wasn't quite sure.
Desiderio Morandi

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:45 pm

briarwood hall, vienda
It was not so difficult now, perhaps. It had been; his heart had thundered up through him when he had opened his book, and it had been difficult to look her in the eye. It would be yet more difficult, he knew, when she was older, but it wasn’t now.

His cheeks still felt embarrassingly hot, and he was not altogether certain what he was doing, but he was smiling. Horribly absurd. And more absurd, he was turning the pages back in his book, even though he never liked his drawings a day or more after he drew them. Something about her big, bright, rapt eyes and the very straight way she held herself, and the way she looked so pleased that he had shared it at all. Not laughing, not making fun of his drawings; not critiquing them or judging them on how well he had managed, either, not like Mr. Alessandri in Caroult. Simply – happy to be there.

Desiderio did not think that anyone had ever been happy simply to be there.

Promises like that, he knew, were seldom ever kept. Especially considering she barely knew him at all. He had no doubt that this would fade, and that when she was not much older than this she would feel the same as Mother and, no doubt, the other Steerpikes, and everyone else who had ever laughed at him. But he smiled regardless. Maybe he could pretend, even though he had known better than to share this with anyone, ever.

“Hmm,” he said, furrowing his dark brows. “I do not know.” He shifted, looking out across the small library.

There were a great many books. There was a vase of flowers on one desk, across the room, and what looked to be a pen-case; nobody had used it in a long time. On this desk – he looked at it for a long moment – there was a shaded phosphor lamp that took a challenging sort of shape, with glossy dragonflies that caught the light from the window pleasingly.

He thought first to pick something less challenging. He hesitated again. He did not want to botch a drawing in front of her; what a first impression that would have been. He had never actually drawn in front of anyone before.

But she seemed so excited, and… “Perhaps you can help me,” he said, standing up from his seat and opening his sketchbook on the desk to a fresh blank page. “It is called a still life, when you set a group of objects together around one another and then draw them. Like books, or pens, or paper-weights, or even cloth, which is very challenging.”

He looked at the lamp, then at a shiny sort of paper-weight on a nearby desk. He went and got it, then set it at the foot of the lamp.

“Like so,” he said matter-of-factly, smiling. “Can you help me find more things to set around the lamp? And then I will draw them, and you can watch.”

She had seemed so very eager to help open the window, even if it had ended with her falling and nearly breaking any number of bones, which would have been terrible and entirely his fault. He had never been eager to help anybody with anything, but she seemed to him a strange sort of child, and it was nice to have someone so eager to help.

Aurelie Steerpike

Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Briarwood Hall, Vienda
There were so many sketches in the book. Aurelie was very glad that Desiderio flipped to the other, different pages. He didn't ask her what she thought of all of them, but she felt they were all very wonderful, and she was happy to look at them. Happy also to be told something that ought to be kept a secret; she wasn't told many secrets. Even if she wasn't the only one who got to see all of the drawings, and she didn't think that she was, she did feel just the littlest bit like it was special.

Even if it stopped being special, she thought, that would be all right. She didn't know if you could be an artist and only ever have one person see your art, after all. So she didn't really want to be special, because that meant Desiderio would be sad. It wouldn't be nice of her at all to make her first friend sad.

Desiderio didn't know what he was going to draw, either. That was fair. Aurelie hadn't known what she was going to do here when she came in, either. She did hope he wouldn't change his mind about the drawing, though. She really did want to see it. She waited while he looked out across the library and then at the desk again. She waited and sat as still as she could, which was hard because she wanted to know.

Oh! Oh but she could actually help? That was even better than just watching. Desiderio stood up and set his book on the desk, turning to a blank page. So he hadn't changed his mind, and she could help. "A still life," she repeated, trying to remember.

"All right!" Aurelie agreed, eager and bright. What would she get? There were pens on the desk already, so she didn't think he wanted one of those. She would have to look, and pick the very best thing. She came to stand, too, much more carefully than she had before when she had opened the window. Desiderio went and got a paperweight from another desk, then set it by the lamp.

Maybe he would draw the lamp, too. Aurelie did like the lamp very much, so she hoped he would. That seemed very nice. Aurelie walked around the library, slowly looking at each thing. It was important that she looked at everything, or she might miss something that would have been the best thing for the still life. Aurelie didn't know much about still lifes, of course, so she hoped she would know the best thing when she saw it anyway.

Mostly, there were a lot of books and dust. A few things were too big for her to carry, and she didn't think would fit near the lamp anyway—there was a globe on the shelves, in between the books. The book ends were nice, too, but she couldn't take those off of the shelves at all. They were small enough, but then all of the books would fall and make a terrible noise. They would surely get in trouble then.

"There are lots of things to draw in the nursery," Aurelie said while she looked. "L-like, uhm, Henrietta, and my blocks, and Roary. Oh, Roary is, uhm, well he's a lion. Not a real lion, like Henrietta isn't a real hingle. A stuffed one. He has a suit just like Father's. And my dolls, and—oh! Some little tin soldiers. There's a story in my book about them, tin soldiers. Just one, really. I-it's a very nice story." She'd know just what to pick, if they were in the nursery!

Not like here in the library, where there were lots of things but none of them seemed like the right thing. She walked carefully around the whole room; she was starting to think she couldn't help, after all. Maybe it was because she wasn't very good at art that she didn't know. Aurelie turned back to the desk, feeling more than a little sad. Then she stopped, and her face lit up again. "Oh!"

She walked back over much more quickly than she had been walking around the room. Not running—you weren't allowed to run in the house, so she didn't. But she walked as fast as she could without running. When she got to the desk, she reached up and carefully undid the ribbon in her hair. Nurse had let her pick out her ribbon; this was a bright yellow, her favorite color. Aurelie always picked this ribbon, when she got to pick. Her hair would be messy now, and she thought Nurse would be cross with her. But it was for Art, and to help her very first friend—that was much more important than the ribbon. Nurse would understand, if Aurelie told her like that.

"Will this do?" She held the ribbon out hopefully, wide satin shining in the summer light from outside the window.
Desiderio Morandi

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:22 pm

briarwood hall, vienda
He wanted to smile more, which was very stupid. Everything about this, frankly, was stupid. He thought he must have been terribly desperate for company, if the esteem of a little girl was enough to bring him this much cheer. Or maybe the heat and the lack of air – for it was really quite stuffy in here, still, a testament to their rather pathetic efforts at the window – was making him silly in the head. More likely that.

But he did not see that it could hurt to make the acquaintance of his future – quite distantly future – bride, although that was even more difficult to imagine, with her chirping even now about the nursery.

Mother had explained to him that it would have to be after they were both finished with Brunnhold, on account of Bastian law. The contract she had signed with the Steerpikes was only valid under Anaxi law. He had thought a great deal about what it might be like if he fled to Bastia. He was too ill to get so far on his own; he would need help, and he had thought about whom he might recruit to his cause. That had, of course, been when he was younger, for he knew that such thoughts were very foolish now, and that he had an obligation to Mother to do what he could for the family now.

But he remembered thinking about it now, and he felt – bad. He stood by the desk and watched her across the room, glossy yellow ribbon bobbing. Now that she was talking, she was talking a great deal.

Roary! It might have been cute, if that had been the sort of thing a boy would think.

He wondered what it would have been like to have a younger sibling, but he supposed it would have been a terrible burden on them, with his illness and all. After him, they could hardly have conscienced another. It was better that way, because he hadn’t had to be alone, after all, and he didn’t mind it, anyway.

“I have never drawn a lion,” he said, pouting a little. “I have only drawn things that I can see. Mr. Alessandri said to draw what was in front of me.” That wasn’t entirely true. He had drawn lions, bears, drakes, and all sorts of things when he had been a very little boy, but they hadn’t been very good at all. Now, he knew better. “I suppose that I might like to draw Roary, some time,” he added, more softly.

He raised both dark eyebrows. “A tin soldier?”

Desiderio did not very much like soldiers. Mother had told him that his grand uncle Anastasio Morandi had been very important in the Gend’arame Bund di Bastia, but he knew very little else about it and wanted to know less. It seemed terribly brutal. Sometimes he had nightmares about finding himself in the midst of some great and terrible battle, and all the things he might break or all the places where swords or crossbow bolts might pierce him, because he knew that soldiers no longer wore thick plate armor like they did in the illustrations of his books.

He had begun to wonder if perhaps this was too great a task for such a small girl. But of the sudden, she brightened; she came back over rather quickly – though not quickly enough to trip and hurt herself, and he was paying close attention – although she had taken nothing from any shelf or table. He had thought she might pick out one of the other paperweights, or perhaps a pen case.

Instead, she raised her little hands and began to undo the ribbon in her hair. His mouth came open slightly. When she held it out to him, it was a moment before he moved.

“Yes,” he said, blinking, surprised. “Thank you.” He took it from her, smiling hesitantly again. “This is very nice – I mean to say – ah – this will be a very good challenge, Aurelie.”

He turned back, pausing a moment more before he arranged the ribbon with the paperweight and the lamp. He let it drape down from the shade, gleaming glossy yellow. He stood back, frowned, then shifted it over slightly, then shifted it again until he was satisfied. Then he sat back down, smoothing the page and taking out his charcoals.

Nobody had ever watched him draw. It had been easier to think about than it was now to do. He swallowed what felt like a small pebble lodged in his throat. It was terribly stuffy. He thought he imagined an echo of Benoit Bellecourt’s laughter.

“You said that there was a story?” he asked, not looking over. “About a – a soldier?” A tin soldier, he remembered. Yes, war was a terribly ghastly business; he wondered what a little girl was doing with tin soldiers.

Aurelie Steerpike

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:30 am

Briarwood Hall, Vienda
Roary would make an excellent model, Aurelie thought. Much nicer in many ways than a real lion, which was likely to eat you if you tried to draw it. Roary would never eat anyone, because Roary was a gentleman. You could tell he was one in his smart suit with the satin bow tie.

Desiderio said he wanted to draw Roary, she was almost certain of it. Oh, that would be even more fun! She liked playing in the library, but it was dusty and there wasn't much to play with. Aurelie didn't know that many of her toys would be much fun for a boy, but she thought they were at least good for drawing. Not today—they were already playing here in the library, after all. He wouldn't want to spend all day with her. But another day, later on...

He did seem surprised by the tin soldiers. Aurelie wondered as she trotted over if they were a strange thing for her to have. She didn't know anything about real soldiers at all. She knew she had met a General, once, but he was rather old—they were done with wars now, which was good. They certainly weren't very nice. He had been a scary old man, mostly, although she could hardly remember. The tin soldiers were better, she thought; she only had wanted them because of the story, after all.

Waiting with her hands outstretched had been terrible; Aurelie had been very, very certain he wouldn't take the ribbon and it had been a silly suggestion. Then Nurse would be mad at her for undoing her hair and it wouldn't have even been for any reason! Aurelie knew she would be sadder if he was upset or, worse, laughed at her for suggesting it. The relief and joy washed through her both equally when he took the ribbon from her, in the end. She smiled back, bright and pleased.

"Oh good! I thought—w-well I hoped, anyway... Uhm, g-good." She could feel her face get warm, which always happened when she stumbled over her words enough. Aurelie shut her mouth, then walked back to her chair. She didn't sit in it, not yet, but stood a little bit away and watched as Desiderio arranged all of the items together. A still life, she reminded herself as she looked at it. It just looked like a pile of things to her, but that was why she wasn't an artist.

She only sat down when he had, her posture just as neat as before. She couldn't quite see, though, so she climbed down out of her chair again and pushed it closer than it had been. The arms were just shy of touching. The pushing made a terrible noise, but it was easier than pulling it towards the window had been. Satisfied, she sat again.

"Yes! In the book Father gave me. About a tin solider—he had only one leg, you see, because they didn't have enough tin at the factory to finish him, although Mother said they'd never sell a toy that was... was... d-defective." Aurelie sounded the word out carefully; she had very little chance to use it. "Uhm, he is in love with a paper confisalto dancer, and there's a mean jack-in-the-box, and..." Aurelie looked over, feeling a wave of shyness. He wasn't looking at her, but she supposed he wouldn't be if he were drawing.

"D-do you know the story? ...W-would you like to, uhm, hear it? I c-could tell it to you. If you want. Oh, but I don't want to distract you..." Aurelie frowned, torn between wanting to tell the story—it really was very good, after all, and so terribly romantic—and not wanting to upset her friend with all her talking. She had, after all, promised to be quiet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information