[Open] [Open - Resistance] Planning a Stink

Artful calls for a planning session on getting back at the Galdori for the Prohibition.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Gale
Topics: 42
Race: Human
: Artful Gunner
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Crosspatch
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:46 pm

Somewhere secret | Evening
45 Roalis 2720
Gale had one unopened bottle and a half an open bottle of whiskey. They had been staring at the pair of them sitting on the workbench in the forge for the last half an hour, brow knitted together in careful contemplation. The Prohibition had been ongoing for a few days now; the special Viendan Elite Corps were still ploughing their way through the lower races establishments meaning the common citizens still had time to scrabble about and find ways to stash their now illegal drink.

The smith frowned.

How many tin flower planters had they made over the last few days? 'Many' was the answer, each narrow and a few inches taller than a standard bottle. Whatever they decided to do with them was of little to no interest to Gale, and not knowing was the better option. Plausible deniability and all that. But people were already getting tense, unhappy with one of their few sources of enjoyment being taken from them.

Gale placed their hands on either side of the bottles. When the news came through they had considered using it as an opportunity to stop drinking, cleanse the body and purify the mind. The first few hours were fine, a small headache, a bit foggy on the thinking. A day later they were a curled up mess at the foot of their bed, cold sweats and shivering, their insides threatening to rip open while their head raged with such fury that they were certain decapitation was the only way out.

And then there was the thirst, hungering and demanding one thing from them.

Alcohol.

Somehow they managed to crawl their way from their bed to the bottle, suckled from the dry malt whiskey, and spend the rest of the day gathering their bearings while their body grew quiet to the pain and their stomach relaxed.

Not drinking was simply not an option.

Which lead them to the current present dilemma. There was one and a half - now minus one-shot - bottles of whiskey on their workbench. Already Gale was easing their thoughts with the gentle buzz, quietly swirling around the tiny shot glass filled with their chosen poison. They were not drunk, they could still think and focus on things - but the edge had been neatly taken off.

Two bottles, a Quart and a half between them - two pints and a half, or something like that. The exact amounts were not important right in this instance. The bigger question was how they were going to keep their addiction fed but also not get caught. Who knew how long the prohibition would go on? Was there even a way they could stretch it out for a potential forever? No, they needed to narrow it all down and think smaller, shorter-term - a few months perhaps. But how?

Gale drank the tot of whiskey, letting it burn down their gullet and settle in their stomach. Going sober was not an option, they needed to work and going through withdrawal was something they could not face. Not now.

The Galdor will pay for this. Somehow.

The thought was venomous; something that crept around the back of their skull and threatened to be drawn into violence. They placed the glass down, lips pulling as they let the momentary flare of anger go. It was not worth it. Not long after the alcohol brought something else, a slow trickling awareness slithering from the recesses of their mind and stilling their hands. They breathed, the side of their mouth pulling into a half-smile.

"Give 'em shit."

Deep beneath the city, somewhere in the twisted tunnels in the How, Artful had called a meeting. Within the sunken ruins of what may have once been a spire some centuries ago, the lanterns glowed, the murmurings of a rabble having gathered this evening. Apparently, there was a plan afoot, some scheme to get back at the Galdori. It would easy to brush them off as eager, yet as Artful made their presence known they pushed their way through the crowd and up to a broken column.

Artful felt awful, their tired eyes were bruised in their sockets and their skin felt sticky against the back of their neck - it was nerves they told themselves. They stopped short of it, stubbing out their cigarette and putting the straggly remains into their tin, letting out the last of the smoke from their lungs. There was a small nod, a sip from a large water canteen, the contents being a mix of one-sixth whiskey and five-sixths water. They decided that day drinking in smaller weaker quantities was how they would get through this, for now, to exist in a state of being constantly buzzed and in a state of mild intoxication.

Artful puffed their cheeks gave a nod and clambered up onto the column.

A couple of feet above the heads of others, Artful swallowed, their eyes darting between the onlookers. How the fuck did Jon Serro- no, any of the leaders do this? How did they look down upon the expectant faces and tell them what they wanted to hear?

Public speaking was never their strong point, sober or not. Their nostrils flared, fists squeezing tightly as they tried to find their internal steel. Cold, metal, constant, unmoving - they focused on a tiny point in the middle, trying their best not to focus on anyone in particular. Artful let the tense breath loose, their hands relaxing and raising up to their chest.

Speak.

"My Brothers and Sisters." Artful spoke not just with voice but also with their hands, clear-toned as they did their best to minimise their accent. "Thank you for coming."

They smirked.

"Normally this would be when our glorious leader would say something about us being crushed underfoot and how we would rise up." Their teeth peaked from between their lips, a clenched fist raised in emphasis. They released it and continued to speak. "But I am no glorious leader. I am you, the one and the many. The thorn in the side of those supposed Galdori Elite."

The crowd gave a jeer at the mentioning of the Elite, and Gale raised a hand in silence.

"We all know the stories, on how we are bent and buckled underfoot. On how they take away what we have earned without the slightest provocation just because in their eyes we will never be enough. They think we are nothing but dirt, nay, worse than dirt and they would have us believe it. And some of us do. They think we are incapable of anything without him, think of us as nothing but whipped dogs. They think we are helpless, nothing but weak without Jon Serro." Artful inhaled, their jaw tensing as they looked upon the cadets.

They were breathing a little hard, aware of the slight ringing in their head. Was it always this warm? Or was this what the sensation of eyes upon them felt like? They bit their lip, their voice lowering.

"But we are not helpless. We are so much more than just one man. Together we can do so much, achieve so much - we can prove that nothing is certain."

Their chest was hurting, straining as they looked to those eyes that stared back as if waiting for some cue. Artful looked across their faces, slowly speaking as their teeth bared and their voice turned to a snarl.

"So I say if they believe us to be nothing but shit, let's show them what it's really like to be knee-deep in it."

The plan, they had to get on with the plan - they waved away the quiet murmurings the questionings of if this meant Gale was to riot.

"I am no Jon Serro. To me you are cadets, but you are so much more than just soldiers of the resistance. You are workers, crafters, medicine makers, runners and warriors of freedom." Their throat croaked. "We are so much more than just hatred. We are smart, we are cunning and so I propose we give them a taste of what the soot district is really like."

Artful gave a wicked grin, eyes bright as they threw their arms wide.

"Let's block up their Uptown sewers and let them wade in their own shit."
When the last of us will disappear
Like shadows into the night
The broken ones, the fighting sons
Of ignorance

Tags:
Aodh Elzo
Topics: 14
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:13 am

45 ROALIS, EVENING. 2720

Aodh was tired, he had been running massages and contraband between cells and hidden drinking dens since the Prohibition on the 'lower orders' was announced.

He was tired and he was angry. He hardly slept, here and there he'd grab a couple of hours sleep and a mouth of food. Rage and spite driving him on.

He wanted a way to fight this new injunction, this fresh injustice against the poor and downtrodden. It was while he was running messages that Aodh had heard of this meeting of the Resistance.

Firebrand sat near the back of the crowd of cadets, it was good to be amongst comrades, it felt good to be planning a response.

He watched Artful as they spoke, and saw the tiredness that mirrored the tiredness that he felt.

However most of all he listened to their words and as he did a hungry wolf grin spread across his face.

When Artful finished Firebrand came to his feet, his wiry frame taught with pent up energy, like a tightly wound spring.

"That's bloody genius! Oh but clockin' damn me, aye we'll drown um in their own filth!"

Firebrand's eyes shone with an intense light as his gaze moved over the faces of those around him. Many that he knew well and some he knew by sight, he looked back to Artful. He knew them, he knew they knew their business and that they were a genius when it came to machines and mechanisms.

"I'm with you Artful! Whatever you need. I reckon you've got the how and likely the where. For what it's worth, I did a job of work on'a Sewer gang a few years back an' there's folk I can call on who know the tunnels."

There were nods amongst the crowd and the mad savage grin passed from Artful to Firebrand, it spread like a flame in dry kindling all around the gathered Resistance fighters.

Cries "Aye drowned um!" And "Let um clean up their own shit for a change!"
Rang around the hidden chamber, as the cries died down the gathering looked to Artful, shadowed faces ready and egar to strike back.

Sednai
Topics: 10
: "Cypress"
Writer: Quix

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:55 pm

??? | 45 Roalis 2720

She had been holding her breath since the Prohibition order went up. She was fine, she supposed, without the alcohol- she wasn't a heavy drinker, but it had already saved her a few coins she might've spent at the Stag on a tired weeknight. It irked her, though, that the galdori would work the way they had- setting up Prohibition with barely a moment to decriminalize yourself to some urgent new law. What would be a crime tomorrow?

She had watched them as she worked, a lone human day-maid bouncing between golie homes. All throughout the day, they made grand shows of it- Sednai had been in and out of the cellar of every home she visited, grabbing chocolate liquor for the evening's dessert, or a nice red cider for dinner's marinade, or even the celebratory, expensive wine saved for special occasions. As she scurried home in the early evening, the Uptown bars were bursting- more people and voices and music than she had ever seen on a non-holiday. A few jabs came her away, as they often did, and she quickened her pace and reminded herself to stray to the opposite edge of any streets lined with their bars as the galdori came spilling out of them.

Back home, in the Painted Ladies, the now quiet neighborhood she often dreamed of now chilled her. She knew the Seventen would be out looking for anyone coping with their dingy life how they had been just days before. She knew the pigs she visited during the day would continue to hold it over her head. She felt like a child who had just been told not to do something she had not even intended to do; now she had to have a drink.

Cypress slipped into the Resistance crowd just as the blonde began to speak. She had not met them, she was sure- at least, not like this. She was almost glad to be late- she couldn't imagine much fun would come from an alcohol-lacking pre-meeting and a bunch of frustrated day-drinkers.

The woman listened closely, intrigued by the smoothly formed words of the speaker. They were not Jon Serro, sure, but, as they laid out a plan forgoing violence, Cypress, a critic and follower more than a leader or planner, quite liked to listen. She thought lightly of the galdori who had taunted her earlier that day and thought of how helpless they'd be at cleaning their own shoes. Well, she could afford a few days off work while they cleaned themselves up, right?

The blonde introduced their plan, and, excitedly, a spindly, rubicund wick (another she didn’t recognize- she had been gone from the Resistance awhile, hadn’t she?) sprang up and, boiling over with giddy energy, shouted support for the blonde. The shouts spread and echoed, though Cypress stayed quiet, thinking it over for herself.

I’ve some questions,” she raised her voice when the shouts died down, pushing herself away from the back wall. She stepped forward, enveloping herself in the middle of the crowd.

There’s bunches of us servants that work up there, an’ I can’t imagine we wanna get caught up in the… the shitstorm, as it is. They’ll make us clean it up, y’know. ‘Course, we shan’t all leave our stations- be mighty suspicious, and most of us can’t hardly afford it,” she found herself rambling and cleared her throat.

What I’m trynna say is that there’re people that ain’t down here and don’t have any way to know that spend most of their time and reputation with the gollies. What are we ‘spected to do? Up and leave our work? Or just count our cleanup as a sacrifice for a while?” she paused a moment, before nodding at the crowd that watched her.

I’m all for it- I just, I don’t want to be stuck in it or blamed for it. Otherwise,” she raised her shoulders slightly, looking to the blonde before her, “let me know how me and the other domestics can help.

BURNED, NOT BURIED.
Gale
Topics: 42
: Artful Gunner
Writer: Crosspatch
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:54 am

Somewhere secret | Evening
45 Roalis 2720
The cries were loud, a reverberation of noise that bounced around the chamber walls as an echo that turned back on itself. Faces of the angered and disenchanted, the downtrodden and the despairing. It was heady for Artful as they stood upon the broken column, the low lights a little bright in their vision and squeezing against their head. Their nails dug into their palms, they could feel the tension across their tendons steadily growing tighter, their neck growing stiff as all the attention passed through them. They did their best to not look at the faces, but they could also not look away; not while the cheers changed to laughter at the man's-

Fire something? Brand?

-words and his offer to help. The resistance thrived on focus, on a direction and purpose - without it they were nothing more than hollow attempts that achieved no real victory. They raised their hand for silence as the woman spoke, squinting in the light as Artful recognised them briefly, their hands moving in sign as the question was posed - almost as if trying to translate it all in their own head. Artful took a moment to collect their thoughts and inhaled deeply.

"There will be collateral damage in this act, no matter how or what we do. That is the consequence of any action we take as the Resistance, as fighters of freedom." They let the hot breath pass through their lips, aware of the small mumble of discontent that passed through the crowd. "But, if the powers of the world let me have my way, is to minimise the effect it has on people such as yourself."

Artful's hands moved as they continued to speak in sign, each word slowly measured and thought through.

"I won't ask all of ye to walk out on mass of your jobs when it happens. It's not my place to." Artful frowned. "But if you need assistance leavin' 'em, or a way to tied yourself over, then I'll assist where I can-" There was a few other calls out there, a mumble of agreement and offers to do the same. Artful continued. "-Nae want to leave you in some shitty situation."

It was true, least for Artful. The resistance was stronger when they helped each other, when they all lifted the load together and bore the brunt of it. And Artful already knew how easy it was to be crushed when standing alone. They wiped their sticking hand against their trouser leg, pushing aside the imagined blood that stained it.

The smith took a moment to clear their throat.

"As for the plan itself? I would aim to have it detonate shall we say..." They weighed the numbers up in their head. "Around closing time. When the Galdori are deep in their drinks in the heat of the summer, lured in a false sense of security from in their den of intoxicants, or safe in their homes in bed none the wiser. And people like yourself..." Artful gestured to the woman. "Well, more of you should be not at your station. Do correct me at any point ye think I'm wrong."

Artful shook out their hands, moving their attention back to the group as a whole.

"There will be plenty of ways many of ye can help, probably more than I can think of. Gonna need hands like mine to make the blocks. We're gonna need people out there mappin' and checkin' where we can put 'em. Work out how we can hurt the system and clog it up good." Gale raised a hand, uncurling their fingers as they listed off what needed to be done. "Then, when it's time we're gonna need muscle to install the blocks. People like you, Firebrand." They nodded towards the Wick. "Though I'm going to step in myself to get it done. Ain't gonna let you wade through my idea alone."

"For people up top? When the blocks are in the slow game begins. Got to get stuff down the gutters, but got to keep them up top distracted. Got to make 'em think there's nothing wrong and to not look beneath 'em until it's too late."
Artful let out a smirk then. "Maybe keep 'em lubricated with all their precious drink."

"Then, when the moment is right... Boom!" They clapped their hands together in emphasis.

Drink, they needed a drink. Their eyes darted down to their flask before they dragged their attention away from it. The sooner they could get off the column, the better - they were not meant for this charismatic charm Serro could carry with ease, and they were certain Beckett would be laughing if he was still alive.

"So, what ye all say? Are you with me, brothers and sisters?"

Let me off this damn stage.
When the last of us will disappear
Like shadows into the night
The broken ones, the fighting sons
Of ignorance
Aodh Elzo
Topics: 14
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:23 am

45th of Roalis, 2720. Evening

Firebrand listened to the woman speak, she was right of course. His cheek twitched slightly in annoyance at himself, he had not considered the fallout for innocents.

His gaze switched back to Artful and he found himself nodding with what they said, it made a lot of sense.

Firebrand's eye's moved over the crowd, picking out and locking gazes with those he knew from the sewer gangs. I that brief contact the light of excitement and understanding jumped between them.

At Artful's last words Firebrand was amongst the first to shout.

Aye! I'm with ya."

The cry was joined and echoed so that reverberated around the cavern like thunder across a storm wracked sky.

Then as the echoes died Firebrand shouted, his body filled with manic energy.

Right! You 'eard um! Get yourselves organised, we're stronger together!"

With that he shot a grin at and a nod of thanks and appreciation at Artful before he moved into the milling mob.

They had a plan, a plan of revenge, the Galdori had sown the seeds, and soon they were going to reap a whirlwind of shit!

Last edited by Aodh Elzo on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information