[Open] [Resistance] Where to head next

Resistance members, if interested. For the day, Gunner is trying to formulate the next steps and where to lead the Resistance, while trying to draw insight into what their predecessors would have done.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Gale
Topics: 42
Race: Human
: Artful Gunner
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Crosspatch
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:33 am

The How | All-day
46 Roalis 2720
It was not the turn of events Gale expected; a spattering of experiences and moments that quickly spun out of control. The dice, proverbial as they were, had been rolled and now they were left dealing with the results. The Smith never considered themself the ambitious sort, but that thought quickly sputtered and died the moment they took a hard look at themself in the mirror. They were ambitious; they just never realised it until right now with their careful study and invention of the Steel Horse, the plans for the Galdori sewers, and now upon the precarious point they balanced upon within the Resistance.

Jon Serro stepped down and passed the reigns to Gunner. For better, or worse, or for whatever grumblings Wisp was currently making - Gale now was in charge. Gunner may have held the appearance of competence, but Gale themself? Their thoughts were still turbulent, but beginning to settle. Someone had to step up, someone had to take control of the situation - and the others wanted nothing more than to drag war and hate onto the street. They could not afford to be rabid dogs, even if Wisp seemed to think otherwise.

A cool head was required. And perhaps a large dose of cunning and a little luck - something Gale was not sure they possessed, but then again they also never thought they held ambition. As Gunner, they sent out the orders needed to clear out the mess Alyssa made: Reach out to the families affected, tidy up the mess, slip in information to the press and print, and prepare for Galdori retaliation. It was a lot of moving parts against an unknown length of time, but it had to be done. Whether they would be fruitful only time would reveal the results.

While that was going on, Gunner was left to plan.

Deep in the How in some red-bricked dead-end tunnel with a single door in, the Gunsmith leaned over the table. A map of Vienda and its surrounding fields were spread out across the surface, illuminated by lantern light with tiny wooden tokens placed at the edges of the map. Their eyes were scanning, or more at least pretending to scan from beneath that metal mask. False confidence to appease any observers while the brain internalised the days that had passed.

The Prohibition was the current problem. They may have started the process of retaliation as Artful; but who knew Gunner and Artful were the same person? None, perhaps bar a select few with suspicion - but that did not concern them too much. Besides, there needed to be some kind of action beyond reaction, else the Wisp and her underlings would just make it worse.

The cold shape of Liberator hidden beneath their poncho, pressed against Gunner's armpit. Perhaps they should have just shot her and been done with it.

Gunner's gloved hands drummed against the table. It was too late now, they would just deal with her as necessary. Right now the Prohibition was a bigger problem. The eyes turned to the few stacks of paper at the edge of the table, before spreading them out across the map. A smattering of drafted paragraphs to slip between the broadsheets, quick notes of the current stock gathered and where it was hidden.

It was not enough; not with everything going on. They needed more. They needed to learn how to lead, and damned quickly too.

Shit.

Were they expecting too much too soon? Was this what it was like for Serro? Always wanting more but never having the means in doing so? Their eyes darted back across the map, contemplating where various sewer choke points were-

No. No. Yes. No?

-before their hand moved across the mask sockets.

Breathe. Slow down. Think.

Gunner inhaled, the breath collecting on the inside of their mask. It felt heavy against their features, slowly squeezing as they attempted to think against the sensation.

Need to... make sure medicine is in stock. Dried supplies safely stored...

They turned one of the sheets of paper over, quickly making notes with a pencil on the back.

Methods to purify water. Boil, filter... charcoal? Upgrade facilities and equipment.

The masked head tilted to one side.

Steel Horses

The eyes swept across the map, slower this time. It was all planning, all staying several steps ahead of everything.

Hand out points that can be held. Expect fallout. Defend. Work out what the likely points Galdori will strike at first. Warehouses perhaps? Lay traps.

Gunner lowered the pencil; was this what Jon did? Stay hidden away in some underground room and pass out orders while information came in? Planning what he could and could not do within the city and its confines? Or did he have advisors, people whispering in his ear?

That was something they were sorely lacking at present, they would need to do something about that sooner rather than later.

But it did not stop the thought of taking Vienda. That would be interesting in itself. Careful, measured warfare that snuck up on the Galdori and throttled them before they even knew it. No, that would take years. And straight-up blood in the street would make them nothing but terrorists. But they had already spent years getting to this point. Now it was the act of getting the wheels truly in motion.

"Is this... even right?"
Last edited by Gale on Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the last of us will disappear
Like shadows into the night
The broken ones, the fighting sons
Of ignorance

Tags:
Khy Marah
Topics: 6
Race: Galdor
: Wicked Witch of the East!
Writer: Raksha

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:16 pm

46 Roalis, 2020
THE HOW | TIME IS A CONSTRUCT OF SOCIETY
News of the Wisp’s departure from the How had spread through the ranks of the Resistance like a ripple in a lake, the circumstances behind it like the stone causing the ripple—it wasn’t visible but clearly it had been there. Those in Vienda had their rumours. A mission gone wrong, a death of a high ranking member. A fall out between The Bull and The Wisp. A mutinous take over by Gunner. The trauma of loosing Jon and leading the Resistance. On and on.
​​
​​So many rumours.
​​
​​None felt quite right.
​​
​​In Brunnhold, they’d heard the rumours too, from people who had left in the confusion. Either for the Brunnhold cell, or just in general. Apparently there was a divide, some stayed in the How and others had followed Alyssa Pierre to an unknown location. Those who stayed, had turned eyes to Gunner to lead them. The Bull had firmly called out his support for the masked member, as had Ginny. And others. Many others.
​​
​​Khy’Marah had heard it all, and had come into the How partially in curiosity, partially to understand the division. The Wisp, they said, was unhinged. She craved violence and destruction. She was as evil as the rumours about her said. A loose cannon. Gunner resprented a possible new direction for them, one of diplomatic strategy and considered public relations. A fresh face, so to speak.
​​
​​Khy’Marah had trained under Alyssa for eight years. She trusted the Wisp with her life. And yet…
​​
​​She aught to see both sides of the story.
​​
​​Leaving her bow in her small corner of the How, the red haired witch followed the familiar twists of the brick tunnels, hands in the pockets of her thin knitted grey cardigan, it's long ends swooshing around umber oiled leather leggings. The twisted dreadlocks interwoven in the braids and loose locks of her long hair brushed against her cheeks, red and cream beads rattling softly against the like colored beads on her russet linen top. As she walked, those others who could sense her field may have looked, frowning for a moment. There, a wick like anyone else, but her field felt…different. For a second, they could have sworn it was…
​​
​​Nevermind. Just a silly thought.
​​
​​She found it, the dead end room with a single door in. Pausing, Khy watched a moment, a figure stood over a table in the lamplight, focused on something that hunched the shoulders and drew the mind.
​​
​​For just a moment, the red head thought it was Serro.
​​
​​But of course it wasnt. As she entered the room, Khy caught the dull gleam of cold metal, moving casually to one of the crates in the side of the room and lifting herself up to sit on it, legs swinging a little and hands clasped between her knees. Her entry would be no secret sneaking by surprise.
​​
​​Is this…even right?
​​
​​ “Ent anythin’ right, but if ye speakin' about somethin’ specific…” If Gunner looked, she would offer a smile and a two fingered casual salute by way of hello.
​​
​​ “Khy'Marah. Or, Huntsman. Whichever ye prefer, oes? I heard there’s been a…review of leadership, and I’m interested in hearin’ what it all means. Ye chen?”
​​
Gale

Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:55 am

The How | All-day
46 Roalis 2720
Gunner's fingers tapped against the paper, a consistent drone of noise that dully echoed from the table. Beneath the mask their jaw had set, growing tight as eyes bored down at the map - perhaps silently hoping that some answer to all their problems would be solved in one fell swoop. Their chest felt heavy, even as their shoulders squared and they attempted to take a growing weight.

How long ago was it that Jon was first reported dead? Nearly a year ago now, and then the people spoke up to follow Alyssa. Back then Gale did not care; it would have just been another day with them silently continuing to lurk within the background. But after that?

It started as business as usual, but quickly changed into a year of back end deals and chasing rumours. Alyssa had become a bloodhound, unthinking as she chased prey recklessly to get what she wanted. The actual ideals of the resistance were unceremoniously thrown aside to- to-

What exactly? Get Jon, a half-dead man who was in no way suitable to lead to return to his post? A Wisp, who clearly had no forethought for others and lead people on a suicide mission? A little boy with hero worship? Angry men ready to throw fists?

It was Wisp who walked away in the end, Gunner was the one who offered actual instruction. They had stepped up and given direction, while the Wisp - wrapped up in her little internal struggles left them all in the dark. Though, in honesty, the resistance had been floating in the dark for some time now. Without true direction, without true purpose beyond win.

You cannot just win because you want it, you need to work for it. Together, as a team. Meaning we need to team up with all of the lower races.

Gunner released a sigh; the head tilted up, their skin shivering as the field passed over them. The mask, dull in the lantern light, glowed at the edges; the hood was pulled up around the rest of their head, the folds in the fabric masking the rest of the details - all the way down to the waxed wool poncho, stained with dirt, ash and smoke. For a long while, Gunner was quiet, searching the expression of this Huntsman.

Wick. Outside Vienda. Different cell. But here. Why? Knowledge? Eyes and ears for Wisp? Is this where I am now heading? Paranoia is now to be my bedfellow while the clearly better in every way Wisp will gather all the strength she desires and-

Straightening, the gloved hands moved into the middle neutral position briefly clasping together. The monotone voice slipped out from between the grill in the mask, low, cold, and lacking any depth of emotion - Gale forced themself to speak like that, a controlled balm against the turbulent thoughts that rolled internally.

"No, I suppose nothing is right. How does one prepare for a storm when they do not know when or where the lightning will strike?"

Gunner kept the table between them, their fingers growing taunt as they leaned against the table surface. The head tilted down, sweeping once more across the city map, the notes, the information - there was no further insight to be gleaned right now.

"I will stick to Huntsman. You may call me Gunner." The gunsmith's eyes traced the streets, the names, passing over the tiny bumps and markers left on the surface of the paper.

"I take it the rumours were not enough? All blood and bone and hissing and spitting. How we pulled at each other's hair and duelled across rooftops for all the city to see?" There was another sigh, deeper this time as it whistled from behind the grill in the mask. "Sadly, the whispers make it sound much more dramatic than it actually is. Someone needed to step up and lead. So, for better or for worse, I did."

No, there was hissing and spitting - but it was far from an organised coup. This was a mess Wisp brought upon herself, and soon whoever else joined her. They would all be dragged down to the depths eventually, but Gunner? They would find a way to go beyond just treading water.

"What answers do you seek? What prey do you stalk?" The mask turned and looked back up at them. "What it all means? Right now, it means preparing. Rebuilding trust. Rebuilding who we the resistance are and what we stand for. It means... More than just words. It means action. But..."

Gunner's voice grew quiet then, withdrawing into themself.

I don't know how to lead. I don't know what that means. Where are we going, what is our goal? What can I do to satisfy the masses?

It was more slowly they spoke.

"There is an irony here, that the one who asks for strategy, that asks to take a deep breath and consider the consequences of actions, who does not want to go blindly into every fight with fire and hate... is the one who manufactures death."

"What do you want to know, really?"
Of ignorance
Khy Marah

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:54 am

46 Roalis, 2020
The red haired witch tilted her head in acknowledgement of the name, knowing it by reputation more so than by familiarity. So this was the infamous masked member of the Resistance, seemingly around longer than most of the new folk, but again rumours ran aplenty in such an organisation. Khy would hold her own thoughts on this Gunner, not be swayed by the thoughts of others.
​​
​​ “Oes, tis true. Best to prepare for the expectation of a strike rather than the happenstance of it.” She said quietly, leaning back on her hands with a small smirk.
​​
​​ “Ye forgot the raging storm that swirled around ye both as ye stood dagger to gun with the elements as angry as ye both.” Watching as the new leader of the Freedom Fighters turned to face her, Khy took in the ferocity of the mask. It was a spectres face, intimidating and frightening, reminding her of stories from her tribe. Behind it, someone spoke with rational thought though, not diving headfirst into battle but preparing for it none the less.
​​
​​ “Me, brunno? I want to know what I can do. Ent always been a fan of the old natta that ran the place before, and whilst I've worked under the Wisp—I’ll tell ye so ye don’t need to check—I ent really sure I’m for this…chaotic warfare.” The witch sniffed, rubbing her nose and shrugging.
​​
​​ “I come from the Blackhand oes? Accordin’ to most, we exist in the shadows, stalk in the undegrowth. Other tribes say we’re the reason tekka get so much grief. Maybe it’s me own sense of pride, or wantin’ to show folks Blackhands ent all painted with the same brush, ye chen?” Leaning her elbows on her thighs, Khy sucked on her teeth.
​​
​​ “Look, Gunner. I ent for playin’ games, and I ent for watchin’ this all fall apart. Whether I liked the kov or not, we’ve been flounderin’ ever since Serro was killed. I see someone with a plan, or an idea anyway, and I’m here for it. No vodundun, ye chen?” She nodded, as though it affirmed her words, wanting to be sure her intentions were clear. It would be pointless to hide her connection to Alyssa Pierre, but she wanted to be upfront with this Gunner. Alyssa was cold, and always too quick to violence. Khy’Marah had been ready to do anything once upon a time, but seeing the fall out from Dorhaven even now, the witch knew there was a finesse needed. A finesse that the Wisp didn’t have the head for ever since the death of her leader.
​​
Gale

Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:14 am

The How | All-day
46 Roalis 2720
It was an admittance of association. Wisp, at present, she was a small concern, but the back of Gunner's neck twitched, a niggling itch that informed them that the Assassin would manifest herself as a bigger problem in due time. They would have to keep an eye on her, less the cold steel knife of Alyssa Pierre would slide itself effortlessly into their ribs. Beyond those turbulent thoughts, Gunner let the words pass through them, a necessary bluntness that the deep recesses of Gale could respond to. It was a clear question, but one that had no easy or straightforward answer.

They toyed with one of the wood tokens, rolling it between thumb and forefinger as they weighed the words. All the pieces on the map, each a small telling that even Gunner barely understood themselves. What were they reaching for? What needed to be done?

"All war is chaos." Gunner spoke coolly. "It is blood. Bile. Decay. Moments all snuffed out in an instance. But... that does not mean I shy from it. It requires the correct time and a place. Else it just becomes a grind of attrition."

The introspection lingered, hand turning as they studied the token in the palm of their hand. One tiny piece is easily thought of as insignificant on its own. But as part of a greater whole?

"Oes, I have heard of the Blackhand. I am curious to see the results on how you paint yourself."

Gunner tolerated Serro at best; he held charisma and charm that they themselves lacked. In return, Serro often gave them space - they were one of the few gunsmiths of the resistance, it was best to not earn their scorn.

Plan. A plan is needed. That was the question.

The thoughts swirled for a moment, rippling inside their skull as a wave. It was quickly they were brought into focus, a sharp moment of clarity. They did not need to have a goal right now, but it did not mean they could not prepare.

"Then you noticed too. Good." They flipped the token into the air, before snatching out to catch it.

"The Resistance will approach the situation from two sides, cutting like a sword with two edges." They squeezed the wood against their palm. "On one side we must return our attention to why, what and who we are resisting for. The people, of course, but knowing the why will ground us. To listen to their needs, ensure they get the help they need and gather our resources we can take the time necessary to prepare for the next step. A strong foundation from which to build from. To do that, I need ears and eyes on the ground. By doing so it sharpens our focus on what they need, it keeps us connected to our roots."

"Medicine, food, care, control of the newspapers to slip information about the resistance goals between the pages. The common folk would be comforted to know we Freedom Fighters will be there, ready to support them."

The hand lowered and pressed the token firmly against the map.

"But, this is double-edged. We ourselves internally must improve ourselves, I need to improve myself, become better. Most of our equipment is lacking, we must innovate and improve - not just for the one." Gunner pulled from beneath the folds of their poncho then their firearm Liberator, the cylindrical chamber gently clicking as it rotated into position. It was an ugly piece, but its function was still clear. "For the many. And for that, I need creatives, smiths, forgers."

You need Artful.

It was a piece of irony that tickled against Gunner's senses. No, they needed all three aspects of themselves marching in unison - a clever balance between aspects that kept the wheels of the resistance moving. But they knew they were just one person, and they would need many more hands to aid them in this workload.

They placed the weapon down on the table before them.

"We cannot stop there. We must train and improve the spine to be able to endure whatever comes next, to continue regardless if a leader falls-"

If you fall.

"-We cannot allow ourselves to become complacent. And then..." The head tilted to a different part of the map, towards Uptown where most of the Galdori resided in the city. "Then we must pick our battles. Find the points the Galdor balance upon and eliminate them. In destroying the foundations they stand upon the more susceptible they will be to..." behind the mask, Gunner's lips twisted. "Whatever is decided upon at the time. I have yet to think that far ahead."

"Networking, understanding, establishing a better flow for information to traverse but still remain secret. Be quick to mobilise and get ourselves into a position to be not just one by three steps ahead of the Galdori. People like yourself, perhaps, would be suited to at least give suggestions on how to do this?"
Of ignorance
Khy Marah

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 am

46 Roalis, 2020
As Gunner spoke, Khy nodded, her brow drawing in concentration and her hand tucking against her lip to toy with rough skin distractedly.

“About the people, for the people, oes makes sense. Good for morale too, ye chen? People need that after everythin'.” As they continued, the witch rubbed the back of her neck and sucked on her teeth.

“Well I mean, I personally can teach folks how to fletch an arrow and string a bow, but I ent—oh. Ah. That sort of equipment.” The red head grimaced at the gun, aware of its uses and its effectiveness. In the right hands it was a tool like any other. In the hands of inexperienced folks just trying to survive…it could be dangerous.

But this was progress. This was a plan Jon never tried before.

“Smiths, we got. Those types of smiths, well I’d wager we'll need someone t’ teach em, oes? Ent my speciality, 'fraid.” Slipping off the box Khy’Marah came closer to follow the movement on the map, arms crossed.

“Information, quickly. Well…” She narrowed her eyes.

“What about gettin’ information directly from the source, brunno?” Lifting a finger, the witch tapped uptown.

“How many house passives d’ye think are in Uptown? In homes of politicians and in businesses doing the tasks no golly would dare do? Ye ever seen a passive around gollies in their own space? Practically invisible. Listening to every secret conversation whilst dustin’ the fancy crystal.” Looking over the map, Khy trailed her finger through Uptown into the Dives.

“A web, oes? Of those passive folk, listenin’ and feedin’ information back to th’ butcher or the baker on their errands. The delivery boys takin’ orders from the trades folk bringin’ it back into the ears of those in the Know. Ye chen?” She shrugged.

“Only problem with it, is ye gotta get th’ passives on board. Those magicless jents are tricky t’ get hold of. Lest they’ve got permission to leave their kints—er homes. But tis possible!” Her gaze drifted back to the mask.

“An’ all th’ while, no one even looks twice at them, coz th’ gollies think them t’ be these dangerous crippled creatures that ent worth th’ air they breathe. Tis an idea, at least? If we got a way to get to them.”
​​
Gale

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:00 am

The How | All-day
46 Roalis 2720
Gunner did not say anything, but their fingers did not idle. They pushed the tiny wooden tokens around the map, quietly stacking them together into a spiralling staircase of wood. There was no doubt they were listening though, the head turned and occasionally buoyed as if weighing up every word that was being said and measuring its worth.

At least there was an agreement on one thing; everything they were doing was for the people, to better their lives one way or another - be it through underhand and careful politicking, or through the preparation of war.

"Firearms are poor for hunting. And each has a skill they can teach another." Gunner spoke flatly, though behind the mask the corner of their lip pulled. "But, yes. This and other equipment. Or training, people have a right to protect and defend themselves and others. Or gain the ability to learn..." A low hum reverberated around the inside of the mask. "I only know so many other smiths, and even fewer are eager; but if you know of others that can be trusted and are willing to learn, then I will teach them my methods of construction."

Trusted was deliberately emphasised: it was not just so Gunner's various creation secrets remained out of the hands of non-resistance members, but also out of the hands of Wisp and those who flocked to her. It was inevitable with enough time this information would reach the outsiders eventually, yet delaying it for as long as possible would be the best possible course of action at present. The Resistance was on shaky enough ground as it was.

"Though... I should also improve my portfolio."

It was a statement to themselves more than anything. Liberator was a curious and unusual piece of engineering that stepped beyond the traditional black powder pistols; but that did not mean they should limit themselves with that. The experiments would have to wait for another day, Huntsman was still speaking and supplying them with a different perspective.

The Wick would not see the frown forming beneath the mask; but the fingers stopped stacking the wooden tokens and lingered over the other ones.

The passives were something Gunner had barely considered but with it now pointed out it made so much more sense. They nudged a few tokens over Uptown, where most of the passives would no doubt be kept, the finger circling the likely routes they would cover. Of course, the other problem would be convincing the Resistance that this would be a good idea - many still saw passives as Galdori, each given a starting privilege that the lesser races were forbidden to.

"A web of passives. Oes." They took up liberator, sliding it back beneath the folds of their poncho. "But, how does one get them on side? They may be all but slaves in name... but most are comfortable; they do not need to worry about food, or a roof, or clothes, and that can lead to a level of complacent and acceptance. Those ones would need an incentive, persuasion or bribery to pass information back. I... would avoid threats. They have a tendency to be counterproductive in my experience."

"The more vulnerable and abused would be more open to offers from the Resistance, I think. Get them into a better position, ensure loyalty and reap the benefits; but they would need to be found first, and Galdori do like to keep things covered up."

The fingers were drumming again, an uneven beat that was trying to find a rhythm; their was a brief flicker back to that night where they dealt with the Gentlemen. Who were those women there? Passives? It was something at least worth investigating.

"I don't know where to begin here. Beyond send people to get in their way when they are allowed out - but the issue there is knowing when to strike and where would be the correct place to put our energies into. Sneaking into homes is far from an option, but... finding a way into said homes through honest business may be a way to feel out potential... Spiders."

Gunner sighed.

"In principle, I'm not against it. But it will require some long and hard consideration to get it right."

It was then they glanced up to Huntsman, their eyes dark against the hollow eye sockets of their mask. It was more bluntly they spoke, though the voice still held that monotone edge.

"What have I missed? What else do I need to consider?"

I can't do this alone.
Of ignorance
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information