[Closed] Gran's the Word

Gale visits Agatha, which soon turns into a meeting of Artful visiting Granny.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Gale
Topics: 42
Race: Human
: Artful Gunner
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Crosspatch
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:34 pm

The Painted Ladies| Early Evening
37 ROALIS 2720
For someone who was normally organised in the matters of time, Gale was instead running late. A delivery failed to arrive on time, meaning the smith was unable to begin putting away their materials; which pushed back the time to begin work, which then by extension meant a collection of their other plans were roughly shoved aside. By the time the evening bell rang, Gale was scrambling onto the Steel Horse; dishevelled, covered in the sweat and grime of the forge with their shirt collar sticking out at an angle.

On any other occasion, it would have been a pleasant evening in the city. The breeze was nice from the back of the Steel Horse this Roalis; wind in their hair, eyes protected by goggles while wheels passed through puddles. Their toolbox rattled upon the back of the machine, lashed in place on a welded on the parcel shelf, the comforting clicking of the fire pistons as they wound their way through the soot district. They still jostled, but the early days where the machine shook their bones has considerably eased off with further practice and experimentation. There was a small spray of water, Gale's shins soaked within the wave - but the Smith paid it little mind. It was a cool respite against the sweat that clung to them.

Drink, they needed a drink - and the inside of their water flask was running on empty.

Curse this Probation.

Slowing down, the brakes squeaking as they stopped outside a familiar home. They were late, the streaks of colour chasing their way across the blue sky, the few lanterns in the process of being lit. They chained the Steel Horse to a lamppost, pausing to take a swig from their flask only to find it empty.

"Fuck." Gale grimaced.

Claiming their toolbox, they strode up to the front door before giving it an awkward knock. It was awkward; half a rap of knuckles, with the other half being a louder, heavier knock, and finishing with a much more timid tap of noise. They stood on the spot for a moment, finger tugging at the collar of their shirt. The skin was slightly flushed beneath, and a horrible tacky taste clung to the inside of their mouth. It had been a long few days, balancing three different personalities that all required attention and trying to maintain some semblance of order. The days had become long, with the nights becoming even longer. There were moments where they were trapped, staring up at the ceiling in contemplation over what they had done, and how damned stupid it was for them to step up.

But someone had to do it, and if it was Wisp then what would she drag them all into?

Tapping the breast pocket of their waistcoat they remembered their cigarette case - an alternative respite that would have to do. Outside on the doorstep, they lit one up, the off-caramel scent of the tobacco lingering on their breath. Some mixed blend; they took a deep drag as they waited outside for a moment longer, and knocked another awkward knock.

"Aggie, it's Gale. Are you home?"

Their eyes swept around the door; maybe something had happened? Maybe the old woman had fallen over and was stuck? Hit her head on the way down-

Bullshit. That woman is terrifying and far too stubborn to go out that way.

Gale flicked the ash at the end of their cigarette. Maybe it was because they were late, perhaps she had gone out for the afternoon and Gale had missed her? It was possible, and the Smith did say she would be around in the afternoon-

It is, technically, still afternoon.

Shush.

Where was the spare key again?
When the last of us will disappear
Like shadows into the night
The broken ones, the fighting sons
Of ignorance

Tags:
Agatha Maplethorne
Topics: 7
Plot Notes: Plot Notes, including thread history
Writer: Rachel/jadeowl

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:52 am

37 Roalis 2720
Early Evening

IIn the near-year since since Serro had decided to try to take the Resistance public, Aggie had shifted her focus completely to the handful of blocks full of people she considered her kin to one degree or the other. Aggie embraced on the give and take of community aid even more tightly than before. The loss of the few tallies that Resistance members had occasionally given to her to help take care of the community made it harder, but everyone just assumed that the old woman had fallen on hard times. Brent ignored Aggie’s wishes and tried to pick up more hours at the factory, but the competition for hours was always tough.

Even though it was a struggle, Aggie made it work.

Aggie wasn’t surprised when she heard about Serro’s death, but she was definitely relieved. She felt the man was mad with power and too eager for violence. But with him gone, she felt it was safe to rejoin the Resistance, so Granny made an appearance or two. But Aggie had gotten frailer and frailer over the winter and rarely ventured out of her house.

But when she heard about the mysterious Gunner exploring new weapons, she just had to venture out, her bent frame covered in faded black clothes as she leaned onto her cane heavier than ever. Aggie – No, Granny in this very moment – made her way into the sewers and found herself in awe of the fabulous new weapons. The tests went well and Granny headed back home, her belief in the Resistance renewed.

(Of course, if Gunner was who Aggie thought they were, there would have been no other outcome. Beckett, bless his long-gone heart, had taught his child well. And the person that child had become had more than a solid head on their shoulders.)

Aggie spent the following weeks reviving the atrophied tendrils of her information network. A few of her contacts were skittish, but the ones that knew her longest just smirked and said they’d known she’d be back. Rumors of Serro’s death turned into rumors of his rescue and the passing of the torch to Gunner.

As a result, Aggie was not surprised when she heard a familiar, infrequently heard knock on her door. She put another kettle of water on for tea and then made her way to the door, her cane thumping heavily as she walked across her house on slow, cautious feet. “Coming, coming,” she yelled, though some would say it was more of a croak than a yell.

She opened the door and gave the person she found on the other side a proud smile. It was beyond rude to ask if the individual she had helped raise was truly the new head of the Resistance, but her gut said that she was looking at the new leader of the group Aggie, her beloved Edgar, Gale’s father, and others had helped build decades ago.

Beckett would be so proud.

“Come in, child,” Aggie said cheerfully. “It’s been a while. What can I help you with?”
Gale

Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:29 am

37 ROALIS 2720
The smith took a long drag of their cigarette, the taste permeating their tongue as it snaked its way down their throat. It rested within their lungs, held for a moment as they tried to find some inner focus.

Calm your racing thoughts. Focus the heat, the fire.

The smoke was exhaled from their nose, their eyes resting on a nearby street lamp. There was a small palpitation in their chest, the ears twitching when they heard the half croaked voice of Aggie shuffling her way to the front door. Everything was fine, everything would be fine - they just needed to find the correct balance between work, work, life and sleeping.

When the door did open, Gale inhaled the smoke and promptly began coughing. Spitting aside the cigarette, they stamped it out with their boot, their hand smacking against their chest. They said nothing, glancing around Aggie's shape-

Old. Getting old. She always was old. Cane is too long.

-before picking up the cigarette butt. Quietly, still not making eye contact, the smith placed the stamped out into a tin with other dead cigarettes.

"Dunnae try and eat the smokes. Not a good taste.." They muttered, awkwardly smoothing out the creases in their shirt. There was a smear of coal across their cheek and a general look of untidiness about their form. With a sniff, the eyes moved back down to the cane, the brow furrowing deeply.

No, she didn't have a cane before. Did she? No...? And why is she smiling? She is far too happy-

Gale's lips twisted.

-she is scheming something. Maybe. Perhaps.

"I'm not a child." The Smith shuffled inside, hands stuffed into their pockets as they avoided touching anything. Their cheeks puffed, they knew where they were going - they had been here enough times over the years to know to head to the kitchen area. They ducked beneath the archway - a habit they picked up from their father when he used to visit - but their real attention did not move from the cane. Leaning against one of the counters, the smith did their best to stay out Aggie's way.

"Dunnae need help. Just here to uh-"

Kettle boil, belly begins to rumble. Paint patch by the stove peeling small, stained with steam-

"-Well uh... you know. I'm makin' stuff and well, got busy and, I..." They wobbled their shoulders, tilting slightly to one side. "Make sure you're still kickin'., or see if you're still doing the kicking. And-"

Counter, slightly off level. Worn wood, aged by time.

"You doing good? I mean, all things considering all the other things going on- You had a kid stayin' here, right? Or am I gettin' confused?"

Aggie had a lot of temporary residents over the years, it was hard to keep up with the comings and goings.

Gale rubbed at their ear. They frowned again, this time swallowing a yawn that was threatening to grow in their throat. There was a smell too, one they could not quite place - something foreign. Enough so that it was dragging some of their senses one way against their will. They were tired, they just needed to slow down and think rationally-

Their tongue moved before they had a chance to stop themselves, words blurting out and falling haphazardly in the space between them.

"Why do you have a cane? You didn't have a cane before. I dunnae like it, it's too long for you."
Of ignorance
Agatha Maplethorne
Topics: 7
Plot Notes: Plot Notes, including thread history
Writer: Rachel/jadeowl

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:38 pm

37 Roalis 2720
Early Evening

Aggie frowned slightly as Gale tried to eat their cigarette. "Still a disgusting habit, but I suppose I should be glad it's not spit," she said as she turned to move back into the house.

She snorted at Gale's protests. "I changed your nappies, so you're always going to be a child to me. But trust me when I say I don't think you're not an incompetent arse of an adult." Her words had an underlying meaning, as though she didn't feel fully comfortable clearly saying what she meant.

"Just comin' to say hi, eh? I'm still kicking, obviously," the elderly lady chuckled as she leaned her cane against the kitchen counter and poured a cup of tea. "Brent's still here, though he's working again," she said disapprovingly. "Things have been tight. I don't like him working so much, but the family funds have dried up, so..." her voice trailed off as she hobbled to the table and sat down. Even for the short distance from the counter to the table required careful use of her cane.

"Sit down, will you?" Aggie waved at the chair on the other side of the table. "It's been a while. How's that, uh... 'Steel horse', you were calling it? How's that going? Clearly, you haven't busted your head yet. I'm glad to see that," she said with an impish, teasing grin.

Aggie blinked at Gale's blunt question about the cane. "Well, aren't you a rude bag of beans!" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with hurt. "Well, if you must know, I fell this past winter and damn near broke my hip. Brent insisted on it. You would know this if you had clocking visited once in a while," she said accusingly. She and Gale had always had a strange relationship, the older lady seeing Gale as the replacement for a child she never had, while Gale saw her as nothing more than a family friend. Aggie tried to keep it from bothering her, but she couldn't pretend it didn't sting at times.

"I ain't seen you in an age and, unfortunately, a body doesn't stop aging just because you want it to. You shouldn't be so clocking surprised that I need a bit o'help around."
Gale

Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:19 am

37 ROALIS 2720
Gale did not say anything; they folded their arms, tucking their idle hands under their armpits, their shoulders rolling inwards. They focused on the floor's woodgrain, the darker lines highlighting where the knots and eyes formed against the planks - a single point of focus while they mentally fought against whatever that smell was. There was a small twitch in response to the old woman shuffling about, ears catching the groan of wood joints changing under pressure. The smith was listening, internally processing the words being spoken.

"I know enough about incompetent adults. Cannae get out a wet bag if their life depended on it."

Just like the resistance really, without a plan or someone giving the orders for a direction to follow they were all fumbling blindly without making any progress. But that would change soon enough, as Gunner they would give the resistance focus and with it they would emerge from somewhere better than whatever path Jon Serro and Alyssa Pierre wanted to drag them down. They had to, else how were they ever to rise beyond being the snubbed lower races?

"Right now, I prefer standin'." It was spoken flatly as if it was a simple fact. "And the Steel Horse is outside. Runs well enough. Needs a few fine-tune tweaks. Just... finalising notes for patenting now. Official stuff. Make the Gollies squirm with the knowledge that a human achieved this without their prized education. They chose to skip the technical parts on this occasion." They paused, frowning as they did some quick calculations in their head. "I think it could reach Brunnhold in a day. Maybe. With enough kerosene."

It was a sting Gale felt from Agatha's accusation; which it was. It prickled, following the nerves along the inside of their skull and tugging firmly. With it Gale's voice changed, a forced nasally noise rattling in their throat - a half mockery of Agatha's own accent.

"Oh how nice of you to join us at last. Why don't you do activities with us? Why aren't you a psychic, Gale? Why must you have a life, Gale? Why must you prefer the company of yourself, Gale? How very dare." Gale's eyes rolled beneath their brow focusing onto Agatha's cup, the rolling lilt returning to their tongue. "If ye keep shouting, I'll leave."

Sighing the Smith rubbed their chin with their thumb. They quenched their thoughts, letting the brief spark of heat die out. Reasoning, they had to use it.

"More bluntly thought. If you don't communicate and burden it all yourself without sharing, then how is anyone supposed to help? And don't say by havin' the person ask first because how's a person to know if they're not there and got their head busy with their own things." The smith leaned back against the counter. "Brent knows because he's here. But I'm not. And I've got to work and my own problems too for the same reasons as everyone else. The grind demands our weight in salt."

The Gentleman. Gun against his head. The quick flash bang of the muzzle, and with it he was dead.

Gale lowered their gaze to the ground; it seemed whenever Gale spoke to Agatha the woman wanted something Gale could not give. Whatever that was, the smith found it difficult to pin down with the feeling that her words held a double meaning that they could not quite grasp. The smith shook the thought aside.

"Turn unto thy community, ask and they shall answer. Support and they shall support ye in return. For we are all one, and together we are whole."

Vitanism. Your faith is showing.

Gale drew in a deep breath, eyes half-closed as they let recent news catch up to them.

"The cane is too long for you though." They cleared their throat. "Anyway... Uh... Henderson is coming to Vienda. You know, after all this drama goin' on, it's no surprise it caught his attention... what a mess."
Of ignorance
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information