Everyone Loves Awkward Dinners, Right?

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Athrym Bruthgrave
Topics: 13
Race: Galdor
: Welcome to Brunnhold. Now go home.
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Raksha
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:06 am

​​
25th Roalis, 2718
​​UPTOWN | DUSK
​​
The Gioran turned her head slightly, catching the approach of the Anaxi professor in her peripheral vision even as she felt his field pulse from across the room, frowning with a slant of her own field and looking back at the glass on the bartop. She didn’t so much as ignore him, as she didn’t acknowledge him, though as he brushed against her to sit down the pale foreigner didn't pull away. As Nauleth spoke, her frown deepened, lip pouting as she angrily forced back any urge to burst into tears. She was no weakling, she was the Ambassador of clocking Gior and she did not clocking cry.

“Your father is a sethearcruel in Gioran dythtedepetty in Gioran erse, just like mine. I should have known better. I really should have. YaldyetShit in Gioran.” The petite woman slipped into her own tongue, colorfully expressing how she felt at that moment with words rather than tears, tapping her finger on the shotglass to demand another one. As the keep came over to pour the faintly blue-glowing spirit, Athrym glanced at the red head, looking over his own sincere face as he searched her own. Steeling herself and shooting back the drink as Nauleth slumped back in his chair, the Gioran shuddered and pushed the glass away, leaning both arms on the wood and scowling at the drinks that lined the back wall.

“It’s ridiculous, really. I thought I’d been selected to come here because of my academic prowess, and you know I was actually in shock. I’m a half-breed, unpure, but I still got to represent my people in the great University of Brunnhold. So stoic and proud, my mother groomed me to be exactly what I needed to be, but it was all false. Lord Bruthgrave had his hand in the whole thing. I wasn’t chosen because I outshone or impressed anyone. I was chosen because I make a good bargaining chip.” Looking back at the freckled man, the blonde sighed and stood straighter.

“You of all people don’t need to apologise, Professor. I’m afraid you were clearly the other part of the chessboard, the King to my fathers Queen so to speak. We’ve both been tricked.” Turning to face him properly, her hands gestured passionately and her brow turned from a frown of anger to one of frustration.

“The worst thing is, Nauleth, I realised in that moment as you asked, that I’m stupidly in love wi—” She stopped herself short, cheeks turning a dark pink and eyes dropping to her hands as they fiddled before her, the bold daring foreigner suddenly shy as emotional truths feel from her lips.

“I’m in love with you. And…argh!” Throwing her hands over her face and sinking onto the chair beside her, the Gioran took a few slow breaths, lowering them again with red rimmed eyes shining with unwanted tears that so violently fought against her wishes.

“It was a beautiful, wonderful, breathtaking surprise. I didn’t think…I didn’t think you Anaxi ever did anything so bold and recklessly wonderful, and oh, my heart just about stopped.” She laughed, sighing heavily and rolling her eyes to the ceiling, lip trembling for a fraction of a moment as her field pulsed with frayed emotions.

“Love is such an illogical concept. It’s messy and painful and lovely and so unplanned. I don’t really know why anyone would want to feel like this, but I couldn’t imagine not feeling like this. I feel so stupid, because really, we are a smart coupling. I could have been logical and jumped to that conclusion first. Then, none of this would have mattered, his gloating wouldn’t have mattered. But it did. It does. Damn it, it does.” Turning back to the bar, she closed her eyes and pressed her forehead into her hands, elbows resting on the hard wood.

EyhadaSound of apathy in Gioran.” She sighed, turning her face to rest her cheek on her now laced fingers, looking at the taller man with a small smile.

“How you feel about me then, Professor? What was it, we compliment each other? It was a very nice proposal.” Tilting her head further to rest her chin on her knuckles, the pale blonde looked at him with an arched brow.

“You know, you didn’t really get to hear my answer before Hadrian stole the limelight. Did you…” Spinning on her chair to face the man again, legs crossed, the young woman smiled.

“Did you still want to hear it?” She asked with a slightly teasing tone, as though waiting for him to wave her off and let the moment pass.
​​
​​

​​

Tags:
Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
: Magus in the Making
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:14 pm

"Hadrian is all of those things, yes." Nauleth's ever-lopsided smile reminded her that he understood much more of Gioran than he often bothered to let on, the junior professor ignoring the barkeep because as much as he wanted something to drink, he also didn't. Watching Athrym instead, he studied her face with an uncomfortable mixture of concern and frustration. Frowning as the young galdor put down her own abilities, aware of the sort of disadvantages her gender had when it came to achievement over value, the redhead shrugged,

"I can't speak for your parents, obviously, but mine are clocking clueless. They don't know me. Not anymore, if they ever did. Gods, I'm not the boy I was, but neither am I the man they hoped I'd be. I'm sure of that much, but I can't clocking bother with pleasing them, not when I want so much more out of my life than their little petty political motions for their own selfish satisfactions. When I'm Magister, Incumbency will hardly be anything I care about. Don't let yours make less of you for underestimating your wonderful mind or enviable magical talent." There was no hint of condescending flattery in his tone, Naul genuine in his honest assessment of her person. Perhaps he was biased now, it was undeniable, but he was quite aware of her casting prowess and her intelligence after working alongside each other in practice and in study for almost half the year,

"I'm not giving Hadrian the game. It doesn't matter what arrangements were made behind our backs because I—" She kept talking, even as he leaned against the bar and made to lean forward, wanting to place a hand on hers and assure her one more time that he'd meant what he'd said and that it didn't matter what the arranged intentions were because his intentions were far more important.

Instead, however, he hesitated when she spoke up again, the well-dressed young professor caught awkwardly in the space between them when he realized she was sharing her feelings here and now, feelings he'd thought to share in private but was far too afraid to do so, feelings he was sure were reciprocated but would never have expected to hear out loud from a Gioran in the same way as his own culture might have expressed.

But she did.

He smiled, reaching for her hands as if to pry them from hiding her face, his field coming back into focus with a humbled warmth instead of staying so frayed and angry. His expression was stupid, awed, and so very flustered by the blush that heated his freckled cheeks,

"We Anaxi don't do anything reckless and bold, huh? Athrym, do you even know me?" He laughed, taunting her as if to bury his sudden rush of emotion, hands sliding from hers to come back to rest on his knees, curling his fingers into the dark fabric of his trousers, hiding his nervousness,

"I never had intentions to marry, to be honest." Nauleth revealed more feelings with that quiet admission than he ever could by using the proper words for love, "I want to pursue magical excellence, hone my power, I—but you—and I just—" The redhead blushed further, awkwardly stammering over finding the right words. This was nothing like writing a spell or crafting a prodigium, speaking of matters of the heart were off the cuff and so very strange that for a moment, he was tongue-tied and quiet. He huffed, looking down at his feet before he let his sea glass-colored gaze travel back up her lovely dress to her face, aware that there was the barkeep and the handful of other galdori in the bar area of the restaurant to be the audience to their emotional admissions.

Not that anyone was paying the couple any mind in their youthful flirtations.

"—in your company, I have reconsidered such a position and I have realized how comfortably advantageous it is to love and be loved. Smart coupling? Of-clocking-course it is, but Good Lady, this is something I don't care to be logical about. I don't think loving you is at all logical. Then again, most of my better experiments aren't either." He grinned broadly, one side before the other, blinking heavily as if the weight of his admission had made him tired when in fact he felt as invigorated and alive as he did on the Lawn. Anger at his parents who were curiously glancing at them through the windows from the patio, who were eagerly awaiting their return, dissipated with a slow exhale,

"Yes. I want to hear it, even if I'd bet my inheritance I could answer it for you—" Naul laughed, tilting his head toward the barkeep while he raised a hand and placed two fingers gently on Athrym's lips as if to keep her from speaking, "—but not here. We are leaving."

The man behind the bar looked at him with a wariness he deserved in his wild moment, and Naul pointed toward a bottle of expensive, well-aged Hessean cordial, the rich color brimming with all the wild berries of the rocky Kingdom, "Hadrian Siordanti will be paying for that. He's right outside. And the lady's drinks. Thank you." The younger Siordanti's grin was crooked but wicked, and he grinned when the bottle was handed to him with a few words of confused, concerned thanks, too nervous to question the young redhead's insistent decision about who was footing the bill for his exorbitant choice.

Sliding his fingers from the Gioran Ambassador's lips to take her hand, his smirk was so very devious, "Tell me when we get to Kingsway Court. Let's have a clocking better dinner than this clocking mess. A real date. Quick before they see us going."

With that, the junior professor tucked the bottle against the fine brocade of his vest and tugged the petite blonde from her seat, eager to lead them back out into the rain and as far away from the dinner and the ridiculous bill he'd just left for his father in retaliation,

"Have you had dsoh? I know this great place. It'll be quiet this house, too." Nauleth offered his arm, unconcerned that they had no umbrella, field mingling with hers in a warm excitement while they fled through the wet streets of Vienda with an expectant impatience to put as much distance as possible between himself and his family, between their stupid arrangements and his very sincere plans. If she wanted to blurt her answer before they arrived, he didn't actually care, full of a bravado and determination that only opposition could summon so hotly beneath his freckled skin.
Welcome to Brunnhold, stop-clocker, now go home.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:06 am

​​
​​
25th Roalis, 2718
​​UPTOWN | DUSK
​​
”My parents don’t know me, I don’t think they ever did. Father is an old useless Anaxi expat—no offence—and mother is more interested in making sure I do everything she couldn’t because of my father. But, that is kind of you say.” She said with a small smile, unable to quite shake her mood with his lovely words. As her frustrations bled out in her verbal admissions of things perhaps better suited for a more private setting, her cheeks flushed with self consciousness, eyes darting to avoid the star struck look on his face as he took her hands.
​​
​​ “Yes well. I suppose I just…you hadn’t…” The Gioran stumbled through her words, blush sweeping across her throat to disappear behind the sheer blue silks of her sari. Her own summer eyes looked away as she laughed with him, suddenly awkward as they danced through confessions at the bar of some nice Viendan restaurant. Luckily, no one was really interested in the ridiculousness of two young galdori. Legs crossed, smiling at the freckled professor, the blonde rested her elbow on the wooden top.
​​
​​I don’t think loving you is at all logical.
​​
​​Athrym giggled, laying a hand over her eyes as though unable to look at him at that moment, delightfulily flustered by the simple admission. There was no warning or fanfare, just a simply stated fact. Lowering her hand to her lap, the Ambassador shrugged.
​​
​​ “I had no intentions to marry either, Professor Siordanti. In fact, as far as I have ever been concerned I would never marry. It made my mother bitter, unhappy and angry, why would I ever want that?” Her voice lilted slightly, teasing him gently, a warm smile on her dimpled cheeks. She took a breath to answer him, silenced quickly as Naul pressed his fingers to her lips, green eyes flicking to the barkeep as the Siordanti ordered something rather expensive and rather lovely looking. Taking his hand with a giggle, Athrym scooped up her skirts and glanced back at the restaurant as they escaped into the rain. Moving to take his arm, the petite blonde leant closer with a surprised laugh.
​​
​​ “Nauleth Siordanti, deuee ethseed eyou wonderful man in Gioran! You can’t just—!” She exclaimed with a laugh, the rain causing her platinum locks to curl slightly and her silken sari to cling around her legs. It reminded her of home, and the Professors cheeky departure from his parents mid dinner was everything spontaneous and bold his country seemed to be afraid of.
​​
​​ “Dsoh? No, what the clock is dsoh? Naul!“ Grinning, she took a few quick steps to be slightly ahead of him, gripping the taller man’s vest to turn him to face her as the sky grumbled threateningly. The pale creature laughed again, looking up and searching his face for a moment, a sort of shocked delight on her face.
​​
​​ “You just stood up Incumbant Siordanti. We just stood up your parents. I bet my father hears about this. He’ll be furious.” Her giggle was wicked, as the thought of her father’s face turning red as he stammered his way through a stern lecture flashed in her mind. Lifting on tiptoe to press her wet lips against his, the Gioran kissed the Anaxi as the rain came down with a sudden vengeance. Bursting into another peel of laughter, Athrym ignored the deluge dripping down their hair and drenching their clothing, tasting the cool rain on his mouth as she let her field merge with his.
​​
​​He’d waited long enough for his answer.
​​
​​ ”Yes!” She yelled against the sound of the roar of the rain against the cobblestoned street, unsure if he could even hear her answer over it all.
​​
​​

​​
Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
: Magus in the Making
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:34 pm

"Ijust have never made good personal choices before, and I'd much rather be pursuing magical excellence than emotional entanglements. I suppose that was foolishness on my part." Nauleth confessed awkwardly, aware of the blonde Ambassador's equally awkward family relationships. He grinned at her as they slipped away into the rain, quite confident his parents would see them leaving from their seats under the covered awning of the outdoor portico of the restaurant, quite confident he didn't give a kenser's erse if they did.

"Hoxian noodles. Is Gior so sheltered?" The tall redhead teased her, sea glass-colored eyes widening when she curled unexpected fingers into his vest and tugged him to a stop, forcing him to face her, "And you tell me Anaxas is an ignorant Kingdom—" The young professor swallowed the rest of his commentary, meeting the pale creature's verdant gaze, lopsided smile faltering not at her assessment of the situation—of course his parents would be as equally furious as her own, but if their union was arranged, who cared?—but at her quick movement to kiss him in the street, in very public view.

He hummed, whatever objections he had to the display of flagrant affection melting away with the refreshingly cool wash of far too much rain, and Naul's hands moved scandalously to her waste to cling to drenched fabric and hold the shorter, lovely creature against him even as his heart raced in his chest like some electron set free from its atomic binding, wild and free.

Surely, this was not some desperate submission to the warm allure of new emotions that he had no idea how to deal with. Surely, his infatuation with the Gioran Ambassador was just as intellectual and magical in nature as it was physical and full of feelings. Naul felt his mind wander for a moment into the theoretical, traveling through the variations of outcomes he'd already determined weeks ago, alone, in his office when he considered carefully his relationship with Athrym Bruthgrave. He'd perhaps agonized far more thoughtfully than most galdori ever bothered, desperate to set aside the way their bodies felt together in order to attempt to think forward and determine how such a legal and social union could both propel their magical studies as well as support their academic foundations.

His rather quantitative distraction was brief, however, for the enticing press of the petite blonde's lips and the warm, alluring wash of her field mingling with his brought Nauleth into a different kind of focus, one that almost had him dropping the expensive bottle of wine as they stood so close together in the rain.

"Yes? What? Oh. Oh—" The young professor smiled, one side before the other, flushed cheeks and breath ragged: her answer to his proposal was yes. His heart took over where his mind was incapable and he laughed with the Gioran, taking her hands in his, "—well, good. Yes. Good Lady, it makes me far happier than I imagined for you to agree that this is a good idea."

Just because he could, Naul kissed her again, there in the rain in the middle of the street, before attempting to once again act casual and civilized despite their very ridiculous escape and affections, still grinning, hardly able to hear himself speak for the sound of his pulse ringing in his ears. Leading her away from the restaurant and through the wet streets toward the market, he offered a bit of caution,

"Not to get ahead of ourselves, mind you, but I would be even more honored if we carefully considered leaving our families entirely out of the ceremony. Unless you feel some obligation to at all pay them respect in the matter? We have time—for their tempers to cool and our ideas to percolate—so don't at all think I'm rushing to plan anything—"

The tall redhead didn't want to sound afraid of the actual commitment he'd just proposed and had accepted, but he would have been lying had he said a bit of terror didn't tickle its way up his spine now that he'd spoken such truthful desires out loud. He had no interest in making a mistake in his choices, let alone in causing more harm than good with his company. Athrym was, however, irresistible, and he was well aware of just how smitten he'd become of her challenging intelligence and fiery determined existence. Gods, he did love her, and that was, in itself, an amazing thing to grasp in his too-busy, too-analytical mind,

"—I'm not—I—well—I'm certainly not in a hurry to make anything official unless you find it necessary. I enjoy your company regardless, I'll have you know."
Welcome to Brunnhold, stop-clocker, now go home.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 pm

​​
25th Roalis, 2718
​​UPTOWN | DUSK
​​
The blonde laughed at the look on her Anaxi lovers face, her fiance’s face, her amused excitement muffled by his mouth as the taller red head stole a kiss in the rain. Lacing hands in his, the Gioran followed the man as they moved through the street, sure the deluge was a good omen, a sign of great things to come.

“You know I hear that Bastia is a great place to visit. As a young engaged couple. Who could possibly expect anyone to return suddenly married from there? Certainly not parents.” The pale creature said mischievously, looking at Naul with dimples on full display.

“An obligation? Eternal Childs Grace, no. I owe them no such thing. There are rituals as a Gioran and faithful follower of Imaan that I must observe, but including ones parents in a wedding ceremony is not one of them.” She said with an arched brow, more concerned about the culture of her people than the feelings of her parents. There would need to be a prayer, with Imaan’s own Enlightened Ones, to bless the union. Perhaps she could find an Everine who could perform the prayer? Then again, if they weren’t in a rush, they could wait till after Gior to have the ceremony. It would give her a chance to brush up on her Ba Brieth. There was definitely a wedlock version of the dance, she hadn’t ever bothered to learn it as frankly, she hadn’t intended on getting married.

Athrym Bruthgrave, you are going to get married.

Leaning into the man, the shorter blonde sighed, resting her head on his shoulder and wrapping both arms around his own.

“I’m not in a rush, Professor. There’s plenty of time, and no blessings to be sought given our parents did that themselves. We can think about when and where and how later.” Drenched, her wrap clinging to her skin and platinum locks dripping, Athrym nodded sagely.

“You enjoy my company, Mister Siordanti? I certainly hope so, because you are going to be spending a bit of time in it.” The heavy rain had eased off a little, still heavy but not torrential, allowing the couple a reprieve from the saturation. Tsking, the blonde looked down at their clothing.

“Gior is supposed to be the rainy country, but I’ve been soaked in Anaxas more than I have at home. Perhaps I brought the weather with me.” Smirking, the younger woman leaned in closer, standing on her toes to reach his ear.

“Perhaps we should abscond to your humble lodgings to…dry off? We could celebrate with your father’s most gracious gift that you procured?” Drawing back, the Ambassador tilted her head in query, brow arching again and curious smile on her face.

"Unless these Hoxian noodles are a better option..." She said with a shrug and a wave of one hand, as though it was all much of a muchness.

What would Carmel say? Surely she knew, but was she seething? Was she preparing a lecture of monumental proportions? Frankly, the young Bruthgrave didn’t care. She should be logical, and rational, and possibly when she spoke to her mother she would be.

But for now, she was in love.
​​
​​

​​
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information