This Beautiful Complexity

A strange sort of tutelage.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Monica's Apartment Uptown Vienda
Early Evening on the 34th of Ophus, 2718
He’d done his best not to acknowledge it. He’d realized when the cup was maybe halfway back down to the table; he felt, suddenly – clocking ridiculously – like he was sitting with a startled deer. He could see her in the corner of his eye, with her hands in her lap, now. And he didn’t notice the quiet withdrawal of her field ’til he felt it lap against his again, strong and settled as ever. He still didn’t look at her, not even as she took a sip of tea, ’cause he didn’t think she’d want him to acknowledge it, but he didn’t know half what to do.

The moment passed quick as it ever had before, with her forgiving him in her gentle, formal, respectful way. Quick enough, they was talking about poetry again, and he was looking over the notebook she’d reached him like he hadn’t noticed nothing. But this time, it left a bad taste in his mouth; this time, he couldn’t quite shake it.

It was because he was fresh to this face, maybe, that he couldn’t handle it with as much grace as he might’ve a long time ago. It was just too strange; there was just too much happening, and he was cast adrift on it. He registered his question’d caught her off guard, and he looked up at her appreciatively when she started to answer it. But because of that bad taste in his mouth, lingering bitter like apah, or the dregs of a Low Tide hangover – every time she said sir, his face twitched. Unconsciously, he pouted, just a little, and it might’ve been discomfort or disapproval or even hurt.

Quick enough, though, oes, he found he could focus on what she was saying. What else could he do? A look of surprise crossed his face, first; he raised his brows.

“I’ve never – heard that,” he said. He thought a moment, tapping his fingertip idly against the edge of the page. “Knowledge, conquest, and – glorification of the gods, isn’t it? I’ll wager you can justify a lot, with those last two. But I never understood – if I had a quarrel with somebody, I’d use the fists the gods gave me before I’d ask the mona.”

Tom cleared his throat, suddenly, blinking. It’d just spilled out of him, brought on by his surprise at what she’d said; it’d been careless, and sloppy, and genuine, and Tom felt a thrill of fear. Clearing his throat again awkwardly, he put his glasses back on and looked back down at the notebook.

Careful with the old pages, curling at their edges, he turned one over. His lip twitched, and it was like hell not to smile. An osta rippled up the side of the page, its furry little body picked out in childish – but surprisingly detailed – pen-strokes. Better than he’d’ve drawn it, leastways. With her sitting beside him, he didn’t know much how to respond, other than to skim over it and try to pay attention to the writing. He might’ve tried a little joke, ’cause it really was nanabo – but he kept remembering how she’d sat fair still with her hands in her lap, drawing her field in close.

After a moment of skimming the Estuan on the page, he took a drink of tea, and found it wasn’t too hot anymore. The bitterness of it eased his nerves; he set the cup back down as soft as he could, though it was hard, with his stiff, shaky hand, and it clattered a little against the wood anyway.

Your mind, he thought. The only thing you have to yourself. He felt an ache in his chest, and he didn’t know if it was for himself or – though he couldn’t understand it – for her.

“I know some Seventen use the perceptive conversation to, ah, interrogate. Seems useful,” he admitted, frowning, “but I wouldn’t…” He seemed to struggle with words for a moment; then, rubbing his eyes, he looked up at the inspector again. His look was oddly intent. “If you want to see – actually see, in a bowl of water, or a glass – you have to make a connection between your mind and somebody else’s. I know that much. Somebody who’s willing.”

He glanced back down, frown deepening. “What’s it like? Reaching out with your mind.”

Tags:
Monica Delacore
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: mind is willing, soul remains
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:56 am

OPHUS 34, 2718
MONICA'S APARTMENT ⋆ EARLY EVENING
Though the constable took notice of the Incumbent's facial twitches - tiny and half-invisible though they were - she didn't say anything of the matter. It didn't occur to her for even a brief moment that anything she said could have been the cause; the man was aging, and he was of a different breed in the first place. Monica couldn't say that she had ever understood the political types all that well. The majority were too uptight and manipulative for her liking, and although this strange galdor in front of her was clearly not the man he used to be, she wasn't all too sure of what kind of man he was now, either. Any given thing could be bothering him, and she wasn't certain that she cared enough to find out.

Her answers clearly surprised the older galdor, and she considered for a moment if it had been the wrong move to provide him with honesty - they barely knew each other, after all, and it was out of place for her to state her opinions at this stage. He didn't seem all that offended, however, going on to tap his fingers against the journal's pages and voice his agreement.

"Yes," she began with a curt nod, "the mona can and will respond to those requests, but I believe it is unwise. If you expect the mona to go against others for your sake, then you can't be surprised when it also goes against you."

Vauquelin seemed uncomfortable, clearing his throat more than once and reaching for his glasses again, as if he expected for her to suddenly disagree, or - or perhaps for her to find the notion strange, or suspicious, she couldn't quite tell. It would have been quite the sight, Anatole Vauquelin throwing his fists at someone, but she could respect the notion of it far more than that of the Incumbent slinging spells at his opponent. It was the far more galdori thing to do, traditionally, but that didn't mean it was right.

Her eyes were drawn, similarly, to the next page's little inhabitant - an osta she'd seen during her first year in Brunnhold, smuggled into the student dorms by an older girl. It hadn't been allowed residence for long, in fact the creature had been sent back home only hours after its arrival, but she had found herself envious of the animal's beautiful coat. It was more embarrassing, now, to look back at the old sketches of a schoolgirl, but the constable said nothing of the image, or of the ones that came after.

Visions of whice flying high above the trees, a particularly chubby hingle trying to eat away at the corner of the page - they must've been drawn during mealtimes, she figured, having never been one to sit with many of her fellow students while she ate. Others were hastily sketched out, clearly illustrated in the moments between taking notes, when the lectures died down and she was left with fragments of free time.

As Anatole brought up the matter of perceptive magic again, Monica pulled her gaze from the journal, meeting the older man's eyes without issue. Of course, she had to agree, yet again - the thought of interrogating someone via the use of perceptive magic wasn't a pleasant one to her, even if she had no real issue with more physical methods of interrogation. It almost felt like it would take all the fun and intrigue out of the situation; if one could just tap into their mind and eek out what they wished, the information hadn't been earned.

At the question, the blonde took a silent breath, eyes flicking to rest upon her mug as she considered it. What did it feel like. It wasn't the easiest thing to answer - it just felt natural, to her, and she couldn't remember a time where it hadn't. Still, Monica felt inclined to provide a good answer for the Incumbent's sake.

"I'm not sure that I've ever put words to it before, sir," admitted the constable, drawing her hands together again, "but it feels like... asking a question, at the core. Asking for permission from the mona, and then asking to be shown whatever it is you're trying to see, or hear, or find. I wish that I could give you a better response, sir, but it only feels natural, to me. It feels the same as asking you where you're from, or what your name is, but asking the mona to clarify instead."

Some viewed it as a more clinical process, others still saw it as something spiritual - and she did, too, but more than anything, it just felt like anything else. Clairvoyance came to her like tying shoelaces, even if other conversations never had.

"Is any of that making any sense to you, Anatole?" she inquired then, nodding toward the journal's open face, "you're welcome to take it with you when you leave, as well, if you'd like to study in more detail. I also have journals from my more advanced years, that we can work on once you've relearned all the basics, and a few grimoires that might be useful. But, I have a question, sir -"

Monica straightened up in her seat again, head tilted slightly to the side as she observed the Incumbent. "Your field. Of course, it's particularly rough due to your incident, but do you feel that you have any measure of control over it?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information