[Solo] Out of Hell and Into the Unknown

A refugee introduced to a new city. Survival his only thought.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Emery Thatcher
Topics: 2
Race: Human
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Zachary.
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:53 pm

"Did you lose anyone important?" Why a question like that would ever be necessary was way beyond Emery's comprehension. Though he paused for a tremendous amount of time, he replied nonetheless. "Yes, I did." The Ensign did not give him a proper response, but Emery felt apology in his gaze before he turned back to face the road. The carriage back began to show the beauty of the Vienda Bridge, yet its sheen offered no comfort to the young man whose eyes hanged so heavy. Its white glare felt as if it was mocking his misfortune, a reminder of how little he always had. He turned to face the walls of the carriage for its wear and blandness felt more of a home to him than any grandeur ever would.

He was happy to be alive, or as happy as he could be. More so he felt a bittersweet thankfulness that he hadn't met such an unruly end. It was dampened by the fact that his mother had, however. There were others in the carriage with him but none of them said a word to each other all knowing what they collectively experienced. He didn't feel comfortable, but he could no longer contain it. He cried. Wailed. Such a heavy sob that he felt the air of the ride grow awkward. He continued to the moment that they stopped at the gates. As he looked up from his tear stained hands he was met by the soft face of an older human woman. Her eyes offered kindness and acceptance. "I'm... I'm so sorry." The words seemed to fall out of Emery's quivering lips lifelessly. She shook her head at him and reached to hold his hand in an attempt to calm him. The words between the Seventen and the guards fell deaf on Emery's ears. All he heard was ringing, not even his own thoughts.

It wasn't long before they reached Kingsway Market. He was unsure if this was the best place for him to begin his new journey, but after all that had transpired there wasn't much that could break him more. He needed work. He needed to break out of his shell. As he watched the carriage leave he turned to look onward into the crowded masses of the market. He had left death in the past to be put into a nightmare all new. With a heavy sigh he proceeded forward. Forward was all he had left.
Last edited by Emery Thatcher on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Emery Thatcher

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm

The rain was light yet it still felt an omen of disdain. Another mockery.

No, that wasn't it.

That was what he'd instinctively learned to believe in his time alive. That this life was laughing at him. He has a lot of his own mind he needed to forget in order to survive in this new world he was so abruptly planted into. Emery found himself frozen in the middle of this bustling market; invisible to those around him. He still hadn't grasped his situation entirely. His emotions had calmed, yet he couldn't bring himself to take another step. The voices carried on the wind to his ears and filled him with such an overwhelming doubt. Why can't I be the same? The shattered man looked onto the crowd of shoppers and hagglers with such amazement. Where that feeling came from was nothing positive. Having spent so much time as a recluse this change in social proportions was borderline traumatic. One hand on his pack, the other clenched in... Fear? Was fear the right explanation. It couldn't be, fear was far too broad.

This was anxiety. The tightness and immobility clung to him. Emery himself could not put a name to it, but he knew this feeling. Whenever he'd venture into larger crowds or uncomfortable circumstances this would always return. Perhaps a whole lifetime of seclusion has led to this development. Talking mainly to two people his whole existence has left him ill prepared for what laid beyond Dorhaven. The choice was no longer his to make, however. He swallowed, almost choking on his own saliva has he haphazardly walked further into this world of disillusion.

"What are you doing, you're going to get trampled if you don't keep to a side, y'know" Emery froze again. It wasn't hard to tell that these words were directed at him. He turned slowly to meet the eyes of a woman about his age sizing him up. As their gaze locked, her brows raised. "Oh. I see." She beckoned him with two fingers to follow her down a beaten path. She didn't look harmful, but his trust was fleeting. He remained motionless again. Her head never turned but she spoke again... "Can you work?

"W-what?" His reply lifeless.
"I asked if you could work. You look able enough. If so I can offer you at least more than you have now. You don't look in a place t'turn somethin' of that sort down." Though the words were somewhat biting, her tone spoke volumes of her desire to help. After all, it wasn't like Emery had a better option in mind.
Emery Thatcher

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:23 am

What confidence... The thought was all he could muster as Emery followed this mystery woman through the market. She couldn't be a day older than he was. She was quite a bit taller however, and her nature polarized his. She didn't seem to be phased by the passing of hundreds of people anywhere near the degree Emery felt. While unsure that he could trust her that choice was not his to make. If this did turn out to be fruitful he'd be very glad to have someone like this to follow.

"Don't fall behind, wouldn't wanna lose ya in the crowd y'hear?" Her head cocked back to look at him with a smile. It was feint but it reeked of compassion. In return Emery offered a simple nod followed by an increase in footstep speed. This stranger seemed to know the layout of this area like the back of her hand. She weaved in and out so seamlessly but their destination was far from being determined. How large was this market? It felt unbelievable how much his eyes had already scoured, but still there was more to come. Adjustment from his hermit life would prove a tremendous challenge. Luck seemed to have played in Emery's favor with his current guide; still his mind wouldn't shake the possibility of being led directly into ruin. This was nothing directed towards her of course. This was just the defense he had created for all those who weren't his mother or father. His stunted growth left him well aware of his hindrances.

"Here!" Her voice echoed loudly as her body pirouetted in a flashy manner. Her arms thrust out childishly and they pointed towards a small tucked away building in the middle of the chaos. It's sign read Mother of Middero. Emery cracked a nervous smile when he saw the shop. He looked timidly at the woman; "Thank you... What is this place?"

"Let's get you out of the rain first. You're hardly dressed to be in these conditions and I can only imagine how tired you are, refugee." Her words were kind but his smile faded. Deep down he knew that SHE knew that was his position in life. Hearing it out loud was a different sentiment entirely. She beckoned him with one hand to the entrance, and he followed promptly.

"Gisha! I'm home! Oh, I brought someone with me!" Her voice was directed upstairs.

"Ah Amalia, I'm glad you're safe. I'll be right down." A voice offered a retort. From the staircase, which was in horrid condition, an older Wick woman presented herself with a smile and a wave to Emery.

"Hello dearest, my name is Gisha. I own this floral boutique. And you are?"
"Thatcher... Emery Thatcher. Your shop is lovely." Her and Amalia offered quiet smiles in return. She finished her walk down the staircase and went to sit on a stool behind the counter. The shop smelled of wonder to the young refugee. Familiar scents that he had spent time working with in his previous life. The shop itself was a bit homely. Renovations seemed behind but it had a cute charm to it. It was small, extremely so actually, but for the first time since his arrival in Vienda...

Emery felt actual comfort.
"I shan't ask about your horrific journey, but I do know where you come from. Word travels fast in a place like this. I'm sure this is all very abrupt." Gisha leaned a bit forward towards the counter to look intently at her new guest.

"It's settled. You are more than welcome to stay with us. But in such a case I will require your assistance. I will keep you fed of course, and paid if you can provide results. Amalia, be a darling and fix Emery a place to rest in the back."

"On it! Welcome home friend." With a toothy smile the woman sped to the back of the shop, which as Emery continued to look, proved to be dynamically bigger than the rest of the shop. Amalia did refer to this as home, perhaps there was more than meets the eye about this boutique. Those thoughts were quickly drowned out by an overwhelming feeling of relief. His luck could not have been brighter in this moment. Tears welled in his eyes as he stared back into Gisha's.

"I cannot thank you enough for your hospitality. I wasn't expecting such wondrous treatment upon my arrival. I will do anything you ask of me." His words clearly filled the old woman with joy.

A new city. A new home. Here, Emery could be a new person.
Emery Thatcher

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:15 am

As the days passed, Emery grew more and more comfortable in his new found hospice. Alongside that, it seemed to be happening at a much greater rate than even he could have predicted. Gisha and Amalia offered him such warm tidings it was hard to feel scared about everything. Gisha showed him the beginning steps of haggling, as those who would come to purchase her flora would tend to try and talk her down. The older Wick woman was no push over, however. She consistently flew into fits if she was not shown respect and Amalia was quick to jump to her side. The conversations always seemed a tad trivial to Emery but this was their livelihood. He just kept his head down and let them bargain since he was barely a novice at that front.

He picked up caring for the place quite quickly on the other hand. He found a great amount of joy in watering the plants hanging around Mother. Solace could even be found in sweeping or dusting. It carried a faint tranquility about it. It was also a piece of the home he left behind he was able to carry with him. He was very quick to lose himself in his hobbies and tasks, as it kept his mind busy and hands ever learning. Gisha would often come and watch him intently; never dropping that curious and bright smile she always seemed to carry with her. She seemed pleased with her decision to let him stay.

"Emery, dear. Would you mind lending me a hand?" His eyes turned to see Gisha handling far too many pots as she should. With a short snicker he hesitated not to steal as many as he could from her grasp.

"Please don't push yourself, Gisha, I'd hate to see you hurt."
"You're too sweet a boy, Emery. It isn't good for your health." They shared a hearty laugh at the sentiment. He walked away to place the pots behind and above the counter.

"I'll be leaving." Gisha spoke. "I am off to purchase food fixings, Emery please tidy up. Amalia please run the counter. I shouldn't be long." The pair nodded and waved to the shop owner as she departed. In an instant, Amalia turned her gaze to Emery. It was cold.

"She's right, you know. About your soft demeanor."
"W-what do you mean?" Emery was dazed by the statement. Amalia shifted her body to face him entirely. Arms crossed.

"This isn't your pleasant village by the woods any longer. Even that proved itself to be unsafe. You are a witness to that. I can't bite my tongue about it any longer. You are going to have to let go, move on, and grow up." Emery's face went pale.
"You may find people as kind as us again. You may find people even kinder. I can also promise you that you will find much much uglier personalities. People who will use your situation against you and try to use you for misdeeds and crime. You may even find people who want you dead for being a witness, but really, I can't say." Emery began to tremble.
"I'm saying this for your own benefit. It will only help you to be prepared and aware. Especially because you will need to venture from this place at some point. Don't take this as a threat or cruelty, it's the exact opposite. Life out here is harsh, especially to humans. We are not treated well all the time. I know you've been here but a couple days; it is still important that you mentally ready yourself for the worst. Because if you think you've seen it, I promise you, you have no clue." Their eyes remained locked and Emery stayed silent. Deep down, he knew she was right to an extent. What she said stung. He still listened. Her tone and her gaze had no indication of fallacy.
Emery Thatcher

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Time felt almost at a standstill for the young refugee. In less than a week he had gone from his home to this new hospice of which he was becoming more familiar, but his duties were so similar to that of his old life. He found himself as he watered and cleaned relentlessly binding this store and his old home into a single image. As if almost nothing but the faces had changed. He had still found no reason to depart from Mother of Middero but expected that time would come soon. That thought spawned almost entirely from Amalia's words.

I promise you, you have no clue. Her sentence in reference to the hardships he'd seen haunted him to a great degree. His mental instability offered him even less sanctuary from the confusion. What could she have seen or what could she know to make a massacre seem minuscule? Amalia intrigued Emery in a sort of 'respect out of fear' kind of way. Her tenacity and fiery spirit was not something he had spent much time around. He envied that. How he wished to have half the confidence she had. He felt it possible to learn a great deal from her though and with their time spent together under the same roof he knew the possibility drew ever nearer.

Conversation was faint today between the three. Gisha was dealing with orders and customers non stop and Amalia was tangled in preparation of bouquets and even some floral adornments. Emery was keeping to the plants as usual, lost in his head while he watched and watered them. His only break from their presence was to clean. As usual... In the midst of their hard work, another customer walked in. A Galdori man who dressed quite sharply. He approached the counter and removed his hat with a toothy grin.

"Gisha my old friend, I hope all has treated you well." Gisha did not seem ecstatic. Amalia herself put her work aside to face the man. Gisha stood from her stool and cleared her throat.

"Yesvonne Airileth. You look terrible." She spoke with no emotion. Her insult was honest. The Galdori man let out a hearty laugh which also seemed to be no joke. The tension in the petite shop tightened, something was gravely amiss. The man smiled sadistically at the old Wick woman, his intent was quite clear at this moment.

"I've let you be for some time now, but I am going to require payment from you sooner than we had agreed upon. Seeing as to how well you've been doing these passed few days, I expect it to be no issue."

"How dare you, you treacherous stop-clocker." Amalia's voice rang loudly through the small building. Another laugh from the man.

"Hate me all you want, you have no business insulting me. I could have your head served on my dinner table, plowfoot. Don't you dare forget that." His smile never fading and his voice sharp and cruel. The sound of crashing glass followed by thunderous footsteps came from behind the argument. As the three bickerers looked back, they saw a shattered pot and a wide eyed, livid Emery staring at the man.

"I do not know of your plans or deals, but I do know that the folks in this building have shown me hospitality and nothing more. If you threaten harm against either one of them again... I will string you by your entrails and drink every drop of blood you cough up. As fear enters your eyes I will fill mine with celebration and glee. Watch your tongue before it marks your grave, you coward of a man."

All was silent. The Galdori man could not believe his ears, nor could the women Emery shared a home with. In an instant, that violent glare was gone from him. As if he had been quietly possessed by something inside of him. Frantic, Emery withdrew in terror and hid himself from view. All that followed was louder arguing and the sound of the front door slamming.

He heard Gisha sigh heavily. "Emery, dear. Could you please come out here?"
Emery Thatcher

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 pm

The three stood around the counter in awkward silence. Emery's eyes would not leave the floor. He himself could not explain his horrible outburst and therefore had no idea what he was going to say to either Gisha or Amalia. Gisha was calm but visibly concerned, Amalia seemed furious. Emery's hands trembled in a frequency reminiscent of a tremor. The creases in his hands seemed to shake like the plates of the colliding. His sweat as hot as magma. This prevented a return to mental ease, especially knowing questions were impending.

Gisha's finger tapped the counter rhythmically. It was maddening to the young refugee. He wanted nothing more than for this situation to end; just so he knew. Would he have to find a new home? Did he truly just squander his greatest fortune, his greatest luck? The anticipation was punishment enough.

"Emery..." Gisha's voice was stern but soothing in its own right. This was genuine concern she was showing. "In your own words please explain to us what brought you to that action. We've yet to see any upheaval from you and it came all at once; in full force." Their eyes lead towards the dead eyed Emery. The stillness of sound weighed on him as if the whole city had been placed on his back. He took a deep breath and looked to the ceiling.

"I don't have any idea, unfortunately."

Amalia's eyes flared up. "Of all the cheap clocki-" She was cut off by Gisha's hand extended to impede any movement.

Emery looked down at them, tears welling. "It's the truth. I offer an apology but I know that that carries no rectification. This is not the first time I've had such a snap in my personality..." A tear fell. "I know not what causes it, but it happened only once before following a threat to my family... All I can surmise is that it comes from something along those lines. That cruel man's violent sentiment towards Amalia pushed me over the boundary, it seems..."

Gisha and Amalia were fully attentive to this brief explanation. They couldn't have expected much. Gisha let a heavy sigh go.

"Your desire to defend, if that truly is the case, is appreciated. However, it has put us in quite the bind. Yesvonne is a rich, powerful, and unforgiving Galdori. Having words said to him such as those by a human has made our time nigh run out in terms of paying him to keep this place running."

So that was it. Yesvonne owned this place. And profit was the only thing keeping them here.

"The task I have to ask of you, Emery, is daunting. But I need you to help us make this payment. It will not be easy and..." Her eyes grew apologetic.

"You may have to do things that you believe yourself to be incapable of. Unlawful things." Emery couldn't believe what he had just heard. Did she just tell him to commit a crime?

"You owe us." Amalia cut in. "This is something I have had to myself in order to preserve this place. We barely know you, and you have put us in an extremely tight spot. Our conversation is done." Gisha nodded with this. They both returned to their work, leaving Emery to think alone. How quickly his life seemed to consistently turn a page. Hardly a week had passed.

The loss of his home and family. New acquaintances turned task givers. Now, he needed to figure out how to survive with nothing, and on top of that...

He needed to start being brave.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information