Shadows Of Love

Alouette and Jeanette Savatier celebrate their birthdays with family.

Dorhaven is a town situated near Wrathwine Wood, almost entirely human in population with beautiful scenery.
Fermin
Topics: 6
Race: Writer

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Savatier Manor
Achtus 3, 2718 ● Evening
An excellent night it would be, Alouette was sure, in the comfort of so many visiting relatives as well as the more permanent figures in her and her sister's lives. It was the celebration of their ninth years of life, after all, of course it would have to be an excellent night with such an important occasion!

Jeanette wasn't quite as enthused as her twin; brushing her own hair as she sat at her little, wooden vanity, as if she didn't have the ability to call for a servant to do it for her. She had always been the more introverted of the two, quiet and reserved even if she held the same love for life as Alouette; she preferred her head turned downwards to her books rather than the sky. Alouette had never understood her sister's calm disposition; they were here to have fun and enjoy themselves, weren't they? A year from today and they'd be taking their initiation tests, and once they started their schooling they'd have little time to spend playing and frolicking in the fields. Alouette was determined to make the best of her time.

She sat atop their shared bed, large enough to be comfortably occupied by three grown men, debating which dress she wished to wear as she watched her sister prepare at the vanity. The twins had a rather extensive wardrobe, even for galdori, and oftentimes Alouette stumbled upon hoards of dresses in the massive walk-in closet that she'd never laid eyes on before. Thankfully their mother had pilfered through said closet earlier and had picked out a few dresses for her daughters to choose from, so she didn't have to deal with potentially being buried beneath a suffocating pile of dresses in the closet.

"Jen, what do you think? The blue or the pink?"

"The pink, of course," answered Jeanette without turning to look at the dresses in question. Her eyes were focused firmly on the mirror, little hands carefully fixing her blonde hair into two braids.

Nodding in agreement, Alouette pushed herself off of the bed, grabbing the pink dress and calling through the closed wooden door for the twins' personal servant, "Maisie! Come help me get ready!"
text

It was strange to be home again. Donatien visited with every chance he was provided, the thought of staying in Brunnhold over the breaks was one that had never even crossed his mind, but it still took a while to adjust to being at home again. It was almost bittersweet--he loved his university and loved the friends he had made of fellow students and professors alike, but nothing compared to being home with his family; nothing quite fixed the pain of leaving them again after every break's end, nothing brought him comfort like the familiar walls of the manor in Dorhaven.

"It'll all be yours, someday," the deep voice of his father dragged Donatien from his thoughts, the student turning around where he stood in the main living room. A fire danced behind him in the stone hearth, crackling and comforting in the sound, warming the room and making him feel truly at home once more. Donatien offered a smile to his father, hands in his pockets and eyes looking to the floor as if the teen was trying to appear humble.

"And I'll make you proud when it is," he gave as he approached the older galdor, pulling his hands from his pockets in order to reach out and wrap his father in a hug, "it's great to see you again, father."

"You too, Donatien," agreed Lionel, returning his son's smile as they dropped the embrace, "your mother will be delighted to know you've arrived. I'll send Noel to fetch her, but first--how are you, my son? It's been too long."

"I've been well. Really well, actually. Things at school are going great, and I think I'm really starting to... fit in, you know? I have friends, for once, and it's nice."

"Of course. I'd expect nothing less; you're a smart young man with a bright future ahead, your peers are bound to notice. Noel!" called the man, turning away from his son to watch as the young galdori servant descended the stairs at his request, "fetch Fleur for me, would you? Tell her Donatien's arrived."
text

"Shhh," cooed Fleur, "all's well, my son, no tears."

Perhaps she should've handed off her baby son to one of the elderly female servants to handle--it was what all of her friends would do, what they had done with their children, but Fleur had never been one to take the easy way out. Although she and her husband had countless galdori servants in their employ, the mere thought of tossing off her child to one of them sickened her. She hadn't devoted her life to these children just for someone else to raise them; she would be the present mother in all of their lives that she had never been given.

Not to say that it wasn't difficult. Even a strong Hessean such as Fleur found difficulties in the raising and care of her children, but her patience had only grown over the years. Each of them had graced her with a new gift: Donatien taught her hope, and the joys that could be found in the pursuit and upkeep of it. Alouette taught her the playful, dreamy whims of a child, the aspirations and imaginations she had neglected in her own childhood. Jeanette taught her quiet responsibility; that maturity could be found even in the youngest of faces and that they weren't to be ignored. Antonin, his cries barely a whimper now as she rocked him gently in her arms, taught her the meaning of love. Not the passionate, fiery kind that she had once held for her husband, but the ocean of undying devotion that she imagined a believer might have in the gods, though she knew hers to be more extreme. It was only with Antonin's birth that she started to develop this same love for her other children; his light showing her the mistakes she'd made in early motherhood.

Antonin was everything. He was the world, he was the sun, he was the moons and the stars and all the space in between. If the gods were real, she imagined this was what it felt like to believe.

Delicate fingers gently brushed the little patch of hair from Antonin's forehead, the baby's eyes closed now that he had been lulled so quickly to sleep. Fleur smiled at the sight, whispering to the child words she knew he wouldn't understand, "Uncle Netheneale and Aunt Anatala are here," she explained, "they can't wait to meet you."

"Madame Savatier?" she heard from beyond the closed door, and Fleur couldn't help but sigh now that her son had awoken and his whimpering had resumed, "Mister Savatier sent for you, madame, your eldest has arrived home."

"I'll be right down."
text

"Uncle Neth! Uncle Neth, brother's home!" called Alouette from outside of the guest room door, the child adorned in an expensive pink gown but clearly not ready for the evening just yet. Her hair was halfway done but one side was a wavy mess; evidence of the child's quick escape from her servant's preparations in favor of fetching her uncle and seeing her brother. Jeanette, as well, had taken off from their room, slipping through the halls to go find Anatala and tell her to come down and greet Donatien as well as meet their baby brother for the first time.

Their mother was quite protective of Antonin; she hadn't allowed anyone to meet her youngest until now.

Reaching out, Alouette knocked against the door again, "moma said you can meet baby Toni too!"
word count: 1411

Netheneale Rami-Savatier
Topics: 4
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Post Templates: Post Templates
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: TheNetiquette27 (Nick)

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Savatier Manor
Achtus 3, 2718 ● Evening
Netheneale had been writing a letter to a colleague of his in Mugroba when he heard the knock on his door. The plague was an interesting topic to the galdor, and he was tempted to visit his friend and see how the animals in the region had been reacting to the strange sickness. The Mugrobi galdor had found Neth in a chance meeting at the Hessean university, and they had bonded over a shared interest in parasitology.

"Yes, what is it?" he hadn't yet learned how to discern the twins on voice alone, and decided it would be best to see which girl it was before guessing their name. The girl had knocked again, and Neth jogged across the room, ignoring his pets as he opened the door. Pink dress, loud voice... Alouette?

"Hello, Alouette! Fleur said what?" Neth had already asked before to see his youngest nephew and had only gotten a quick refusal from the boy's mother. She had never been this protective with a child, and the fact that he had been given permission was a surprise. Neth and Fleur had never been enemies, but you would call them acquaintances before friends.

Neth stepped out of his room, closing the door behind him as he looked down the hall. He had been at the manor for three days already, but he still found himself lost in the halls, "how about we go and pay your brother a visit then?
word count: 275
Fermin
Topics: 6
Race: Writer

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Savatier Manor
Achtus 3, 2718 ● Evening
Alouette was always quick to smile; her expression switching quickly into one of excitement as her uncle opened the door and agreed to come with her. She was excited already to see her siblings; Donatien hadn't been home in a while and Antonin was never allowed out of their parents' room without Fleur's careful supervision. She and her sister had always been more often tossed off to a servant, but she supposed two active little girls were a bit much for one woman to handle.

Reaching out and grabbing onto her uncle's hand, Alouette tugged him along, starting to walk rather quickly through the hall and towards the staircase.

"I'm excited! I haven't seen Toni in days, and I haven't seen Dona in like... longer!" offered the girl as she led Netheneale down the stairs, shining black shoes tapping against each step; the unworn, stiff material making a clicking noise as she went, "I bet he's real tall now. Oh look!" shouted Alouette as they reached the bottom, pointing with her free hand towards the gathering of the house's residents near the living room entrance.

All of her family members had collected around Donatien and Lionel, catching up with each other and carrying on while their servants passed by and continued to ready the house for the night's party. Donatien, in all his confidence, was a smiling example of Brunnhold's finest and truly an image of one at home in his skin and his life. He didn't appear to mind all the attention; answering his family's questions and asking his own in return, happy to be at home and among the people he loved.

Lionel had never been one for the spotlight, but he was handling the gathering of relatives fine enough; he had vanished a bit next to his oldest son and he was perfectly content with that. Fleur was the same; though the woman was visibly uncomfortable with the eyes on her youngest and the curious hands trying to grab and hold her baby. It was clear that, despite her decision to allow her visiting relatives to meet her son, she was regretting it deeply.

Jeanette had successfully dragged Anatala from one of the other guest rooms, and the girl clung to her mother's dress while her aunt stood beside, smiling as she looked upon Antonin. Antatala's daughter Lyse had also made an appearance, visiting Anaxas for the very first time in her life. Lyse had lived in Bastia for a decade, and even visits home to her native Hesse were infrequent; the woman was always more likely to stay in Florne and await her husband's return.

Lyse was a mirrored image of Anatala, light brown hair pulled up into an elegant bun and pinned with sparkling barrettes from Florne, muted-green dress asymmetrical and quite in fashion in Sielan at the moment; high-collared and expensive. Her mother had worn a gown from Mestigia instead, preferring the fashion of her homeland, the garment stark-white with golden threading along every edge; brunette hair braided and pulled into a bun as well.

Fleur was the odd woman out, her dress conformed to every curve and clung to her legs unlike the big, puffy skirts of Lyse and Anatala. A dark green suited her well; her blue eyes and platinum-blonde hair giving the illusion of the lands, the oceans, and the sun. The mother of all things, she was; the giver of life in the center of her relatives but an image of stuffy discomfort.

She had dressed her little son in light purple hues, pale button-up beneath a darker vest, royal trousers finishing up his outfit. His little feet were bare, something Anatala took advantage of as she poked at Antonin's tiny toes and smiled at the baby's every giggle.

She only looked away when she heard footsteps descending the stairs, dragging light blue eyes away from the child and instead to fall upon her niece and half-brother.

"Netheneale!" called Anatala, a wide smile accompanying her as she left Fleur's side to approach the two at the stairs, "and not-so-little Alouette! My, you're growing into quite the beautiful woman, aren't you?"

Leaning down, Anatala gave her niece a hug, afterwards letting her run off to greet the rest of her family and turning her own gaze to her half-brother. As she had done with Alouette, the woman extended her arms, wrapping Netheneale in a warm embrace.

"I've missed you dearly, brother. I wanted to arrive sooner but my, the carriages in Anaxas are ghastly."

"Let the man breathe Anatala, would you?" called Lionel in good humor, smiling slightly for perhaps the first time in ages.

"Oh yes, you've plenty of people to greet. Have you seen dear Antonin? He looks so much like L--" cutting herself off at the last moment, Anatala regained her composure only a moment after, "--Lionel. Come, you have to see him, he's a delight--and Donatien! He's such a handsome young man! And quite taken with Living and Physical conversation, I hear. Following in your footsteps, brother."
word count: 903
Netheneale Rami-Savatier
Topics: 4
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Post Templates: Post Templates
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: TheNetiquette27 (Nick)

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Savatier Manor
Achtus 3, 2718 ● Evening
Netheneale chuckled as his young niece enthusiastically took his hand, constantly tugging on his arm in an attempt to quicken his slow and easy gait. The spirit in his young nieces and nephews had always been able to warm his heart, and Neth quickly found himself smiling from the contagious excitement and joy emanating off of young Alouette. The uncle looked left and right, admiring the beauty of the manor.

One day I'll have a fine home and children of my own to raise and play with, one day. Neth tried to imagine that day but found himself lost in his mind, unable to piece together the home he would have or the family he would come back to. Some things were far too complicated for one lone man to make in their head, and this seemed to be one of those things for the aging galdor. Before he could dwell on it for longer, however, Alouette tugged at his arm again and mercifully pulled her uncle out of his thoughts and instead to the staircase in front of them. A frown had formed on Neth's face, but he quickly turned it into a smile, not wanting to ruin the mood for his dear niece. "I am as well, Alouette! I hadn't expected to get to see Donatien and young Antonin today!"

The galdor was pleasantly surprised but still curious at what had made Fleur finally decide to let the family see the newest addition to the Savatier name, "oh, yes! Every time we see him again during one of his breaks it's like looking at a different person!" As the two reached the bottom of the stairs Neth found himself filled with joy to see all of the family gathered together, and the galdor's smile became genuine as his half-sister, Anatala, called out his name. Alouette released her uncle's hand, getting a hug from Anatala before running off to the rest of the family. Netheneale welcomed the warm embrace of his half-sister and gave her one of his own in return.

"I've missed you as well, Sister. I was starting to worry that you wouldn't be able to make it," the galdor laughed at Anatala's explanation for not being able to make it, he had seen the Shalok more times than he had experienced a good carriage ride in Anaxas, "Hah! You were lucky to only be a few days late, Sister. I'm starting to think flying an untamed drake would be a better choice of travel!"

Lionel's voice called out in a joking tone, and Neth was happy to see his half-brother with a slight smile on his face. Lionel had seemed withdrawn since he had arrived, and it was good to see he was enjoying the gathering so far. Anatala had been describing Antonin when she suddenly cut herself off. A look of surprise came over Neth's face, worried that Fleur or Lionel had heard her, but they seemed to have been too busy with the rest of the family to hear.

"Ah yes, I'll have to go over there and see him, I'm still surprised Fleur brought him out here. Oh is he now?" Neth was, once again, pleasantly surprised as he heard that Donatien had taken an interest in two fields he also found himself quite taken with, "Maybe this is my chance to better connect with him, he's turning into quite the young man."

Netheneale nodded his head at Anatala as he walked towards Lionel and the rest of the family bunched around him. He knew he and his sister would have more time to talk as the night went on, and opted to greet Donatien and Antonin before he missed his chance, "hello Donatien, I hear you have found yourself interested in physical and living conversation, maybe I could aid you in your studies and practice? Both are fine choices, and if there is any way that I can help you out, I'd be delighted to get to know you better."

The galdor smiled as he looked down at his nephew, happy to have some way to try and get closer to the boy. Netheneale then looked over at the young Antonin, scanning the baby's face to see just how right his half-sister had been. Anatala wasn't wrong, he looks very much like Laurentius. As the uncle stared at young Antonin he felt a feeling of sadness and longing came over him once more as the thought of having a family of his own returned. I'm running out of time, aren't I?

Shaking the thoughts out of his head, Neth looked over to his half-brother Lionel and his wife. Smiling, the galdor addressed both of them, "what a fine addition to the family, I'm delighted to see both Donatien and your youngest down here. How are you two?"
word count: 862
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Dorhaven”

• Information