Nasa'i Ubo

Once development submissions have been approved and put up in the Lore wiki, they can be archived here.
Maximus
Topics: 8
Race: Writer
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:39 pm

{{#invoke: Infobox Flora | default
| image = https://i.imgur.com/i4tdWn3.jpg
| habitat = Hulali's Handprints, Central Erg (Mugroba)
| type = Fungus
| hazard = Very powerful hallucinogenic properties
| rarity = Fungus - uncommon in Mugroba,
Desert Chaser - uncommon outside of Mugroba,
True Sight (bottled) - rare outside of Mugroba
Poison - very rare outside of Mugroba
}}

==Appearance==
Nasa'i Ubo, also known as True Sight, is a fungus that grows in clusters of 10 to 20 caps. The caps are very thin and reminiscent of little umbrellas. The ribbed caps are always brightly coloured but the exact colour varies depending on the stage of maturation. It can be light pink, bright red, deep purple, dark blue, black, grey or even white.

==Ecology==
Nasa'i Ubo is found growing in the Central Erg in Mugroba, which is considered the most inhospitable region of that kingdom. Primarily found in and around Hulali's Handprints, the fungus thrives in the presence of the moisture that the sacred lakes provide and whatever living matter it can find it feed it as it waxes. It does seem to require the desert air, doing best at the edge of oases closer to the arid sands than to the waters. It isn't clear whether it overwhelms something weak but alive and kills it as it grows or if it seeks the newly dead but the fungus can be found growing in the remains of animal or plant matter, occasionally even taking root in a person's corpse. It can be found growing anywhere that the conditions are right but if it grows somewhere once and is harvested, even if only in part, it does not mean that it will grow there again, making it a difficult fungus to find and harvest it. Some believe that the mona might also be a factor in where it grows but nothing has been proven.

As the fungus grows, it changes from a soft pink to bright red before darkening and transitioning to a deep purple then dark blue, at which point the edges curl upwards and inwards. It remains that way for half an hour before the cap changes to black. Once it turns black, the fungus begins to shrink and the colour leeches from it, the black altering to a grey and finally white, the fungus is waning, already in the process of shrivelling down to nothing. Once it turns white, it disappears within an hour. It might begin waxing again within a few hours or within a few weeks.

==Properties==
Nasa'i Ubo gains its name because of its hallucinogenic properties. The fungus is said to cause intense visions when properly prepared or a trippy high when ill-prepared or watered down. The fungus affects all the senses although it has the greatest impact on vision, closely followed by touch. As well as affecting the senses, Nasa'i Ubo also emotions leading to intense feelings and often extreme mood swings. It also has a tendency of enhancing paranoia (potentially a side effect of when the user becomes more alert) and can sometimes enhance a person's fears if they should encounter them. If harvested in its white stage and properly prepared, the fungus is also highly poisonous. When used as True Sight, death is also a risk.

==Uses==
Nasa'i Ubo has three main uses:

-True Sight: In its most powerful form, Nasa'i Ubo is used to induce intense visions and in large quantities or high concentrations can lead to out of body experiences. In order to achieve this, the fungal caps must be harvested and placed in strong alcohol during the half hour period when they are dark blue, the resultant blue-tinted liquid taking three days to distil effectively and the liquid is considered to be viable for up to 40 days although some argue less. It can also be eaten fresh although that is considered the most dangerous as it heightens the effects and can lead to seizures, heart failure, stroke, and death. Typically used by very dedicated fortune tellers, diviners and worshippers, Nasa'i Ubo is said to provide unique insight into the world around oneself, especially in regard to the mona. Some galdori seeking their True Name have utilised the fungus although its effectiveness for that purpose is still be researched. Additionally, it is said to give someone non-magical the closest understanding of the mona that they will ever attain.

-Desert Chaser: When the Nasa'i Ubo has gone black, the caps can be placed in strong liquor in order to produce a drug-laden drink. The purple caps can also be used but this is very uncommon and produces a much weaker effect. It's colour varies depending on the base alcohol used but it seems to have an oily film on the top, which it shimmer in rainbow colours. While not as strong as True Sight, the alcohol still has the power to induce hallucinations, considered an enjoyable side-effect that accompanies a high. Like its more potent cousin, the Desert Chaser also amplifies emotions and so those who take it in an ill-state of mind can find their negative emotions made more intense and the same is true of positive emotions. The fortified alcohol also has the potential to cause mood swings so that a good time can turn sour and vice versa. The drink's name is possibly a cheeky jab at its producers who typically run around the desert looking for the fungus, often said to be 'chasing' it or it could refer to those who originally had to 'chase' the high in the desert. These days, the alcohol can be found outside of Mugroba although typically in areas with high Mugrobi populations like Old Rose Harbor.

-Poison: To be used as a poison, the white caps of the Nasa'i Ubo are used before it has a chance to wane out of existence. These white caps must be boiled until they begin to fall apart and then carefully strained and mashed. The resultant mash is left to dry and harden in the sun before it is ground to powder. A teaspoon of the resultant substance is enough to induce hysteria followed by violent seizures in the victim as the brain swells. Death typically occurs within five to ten minutes although a skilled healer can potentially save the victim; even if saved, the victim is left with brain damage ranging from moderate to severe. The poison is usually sold in tiny vials and is known as White Madness or Blind Justice.

==Other Notes==
Within Mugroba, the fungus is a controlled substance. Those found around Hulali's Handprints are meant to be protected and monitored, the fungus harvested at the proper time to produce True Sight, which is kept for the most devoted of pilgrims. However, in truth, it is not well-regulated and given that it can show up pretty much anywhere with the right conditions within the Central Erg, it isn't possible to protect it properly. The fungus cannot be found outside of Mugroba when fresh or living as no one has found a way to preserve it or grow it outside of the Central Erg.

True Sight is a controlled substance and certain documentation is required to possess it legally although it also does well on the black market, often found among Mugroba's wick population. It is rare for it to make it outside of Mugroba.

Desert Chaser can be legal or illegal depending on whether the producer is properly licensed or not. The legitimately made Desert Chaser is typically regulated to be weak as the hallucinogens are watered down and is roughly the same price as spirits, sold in shots. The illegal kind is usually stronger than regulation and is also a black market drink. This black market version is typically what's available outside of Mugroba as it is smuggled out. A strong version is typically smuggled out of the country as a few bottles are easier to smuggle out than crates of them and is subsequently watered down to sell more. Outside of A heavily watered down version is often sold in Mugrobi smoking dens and bars in Old Rose. Outside of Mugroba, it is also sold at the same price as common spirits (vodka, rum, etc.) in shot form.

White Madness/Blind Justice is considered illegal throughout the kingdoms and given the skill involved to make it and the penalties for possessing it, the poison is prohibitively expensive.
Muse
Site Admin
Topics: 99
Race: Storyteller
Character Sheet: My Office
Plot Notes: My Manifesto
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Templates for Everyone

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:39 pm

Oooh. This is so cool!
 ! Message from: Muse
Approved.