Studious Pursuits [Ath + Elisora]

Studying is never an actual date. Right?

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
Race: Galdor
: Magus in the Making
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Bethas 4th, 2718
"But, Professor, could you explain again? I don't understand—" The young man followed him out into the hallway after dismissal, his leather bag of books clutched to his green-uniformed chest and curious expression full of earnestness. His mocha, freckled skin and pale hair made his heritage obvious once he spoke, words thick with a Hessian accent, "When suspending the pull of gravity around an object in an attempt to levitate it, how is that different from a simple push spell, Professor Siordanti, sir?"

"Perhaps you're too focused on what isn't happening instead of thinking about what is, Ronav. A push spell is simply that," The tall red head made a shoving motion with his hand as he continued to take long strides down the hall, eager to escape his fifth form students and make his way to the library, even though what he could have really gone for was a nap in some abandoned corner of the teacher's lounge for fifteen minutes. He was exhausted. Thank the gods the welts from last night's duel had faded, his pale, freckled skin making any remnants much less noticeable, "a push. When you're forming the semantics of levitation, you're not requesting to act directly against gravity as an opponent, you're asking the mona to bend gravity entirely to your will, to ignore it as if it never existed in the first place. Just around your target. That's often why you simply must be clear in your conversation, else you run the risk of levitating unintended objects. Focus is key."

"Oh." The boy nodded, already as tall as the unusually tall Anaxi professor at just fifteen, making the older man feel strange when he was used to standing slightly above his peers, "I think I understand. Would you be available to spend some time on the Field to—"

"No." Nauleth answered quickly, too quickly, unconcerned about the sharpness to his tone until he saw Ronav blink at him, clearly resisting the urge to cringe. He sighed and ran fingers through his hair, adding with a tone of reluctant apology, "I mean, not today, I'm afraid. I have some research for my thesis that I need to spend time on, but if you'd like to get together tomorrow on the Field for some comparison experiments, I'd be happy to make time for you."

"Yes, please, Professor."

The tall red-head smiled, awkward and lopsided, suddenly flustered by the realization that he was more eager to meet Athrym in the library than he was to at all work on his thesis. Even if her promises had not at all been the innuendo they had felt like after too much to drink and the thrill of magic duelling, he didn't mind her company so far and he was just curious enough to learn more about the Giorian Ambassador for more than shallow personal reasons. His student didn't clocking need to know that, and neither did his housemates for that matter, Naul careful to contain his excitement,

"Alright, Ronav. Let's plan to meet tomorrow afternoon—around the 21st hour? That should give us some time before dinner to work out some of your questions."

"Thank you."

"Of course. Have a good afternoon." Nauleth wiggled his way out of conversation with all the pleasantries he could manage, slipping from their shared path in the main hallway to take a side door and cut outside into the sunshine, the rains of last night forgotten in the blustery brightness of spring. There was still a chill in the early Bethas air now that the afternoon was winding down, but it wasn't unpleasant. The junior professor adjusted his bag over his shoulder and tucked his hands into his trouser pockets, desperate not to appear too much in a hurry despite his brisk walk in the direction of the library, smiling wistfully to himself in his anticipation.

It was, he told himself, a purely intellectual curiosity.

Even if he found Athrym more than a little attractive, even if there had perhaps been the smallest hint of flirtation in their conversation on the way home the night before, a pleasant enough exchange of good nights once they'd reached her residence at Bluebell Manor, Naul was aware his chances of relationship success were relatively slim, considering he was now in his last year of post-graduate study and hadn't courted a single soul. Sure, Mateo enjoyed setting him up on dates and dragging him to taverns in attempts to snag his ginger friend a one night stand or two, but inevitably, he was outed as that Siordanti and quickly disengaged from further pursuit.

He wondered if he could live that down eventually or if it even mattered—his siblings would have to find some way to be successful in carrying on family affairs and Nauleth could simply disappear into experimentation and magical exploration unfettered and unconcerned. That was a little thrill, honestly, for the young professor was interested in the somewhat mythical, rigorous discovery of his true name, the promises of power very enticing to his insatiably hungry mind.

But occasionally attractive distractions weren't so bad. He'd just had few in his lifetime thus far.

Very. Few.

Hence the flutter of excitement once he made his way up the stairs and passed under the red stone archway and went through the ornate double doors of the library, pausing in the foyer to take in the impressive structure. While the University Library was quite the sanctuary of scholarly and magical knowledge, it wasn't the only source in Brunnhold. The young Siordanti was aware it was, for the most part, the safer choice, and, besides, he'd been invited. It wasn't as though Athrym had any clocking clue about the Crypts—she'd hardly slept in her bed since her arrival in Anaxas.

Chuckling to himself, the reluctant professor set about attempting not to look too much like an idiot, wandering the stacks and looking for wherever the petite blonde Ambassador may have been waiting for his eventual arrival.
Welcome to Brunnhold, stop-clocker, now go home.
Last edited by Nauleth Siordanti on Tue May 01, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Athrym Bruthgrave
Topics: 13
: Welcome to Brunnhold. Now go home.
Writer: Raksha

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:50 am

Bethas 4th, 2718
Athrym stifled a yawn as she perused the bookshelf before her, pale well manicured fingers walking along the spines as she moved slowly through the stack, head tilted slightly so she could read the titles. The morning had come much too quickly after last nights exploits, and rather than being woken by the echoes of the priests in Qrieth’s cavernous carved Church of Imaan the Gioran had been ripped from sleep by the sound of students noisily making their way to school and motorised rickshaws brapping back and forth to take people to work or study.

Bathing and taking the time to finish a breakfast that didn’t consist of travelling cakes or dried meats, the galdor dressed in a long sleeved white blouse with black leather waist cinch and long flowing black silk skirts. Leaving her hair loose and touching her face with a little make up, Athrym collected her coin purse and her notebook before making her way to the front of the Bluebell Manor. A carriage awaited, and seated on top was an older passive gentleman with weary eyes. He sat up straighter when he saw her, collecting the reigns of his moa.

“Morning Miss Bruthgrave, where can I take you?” He asked politely, getting ready to jump down and open the door. Athrym offered him a brief smile, shaking her head.

“No thank you. I’ll walk today.” The passive looked at her with mouth stammering, lost on what to do. He had been instructed to take the Ambassador to and from her destinations. It was his task.

“M-Miss? Y-you...I mean...I’m supposed to take you...” The blonde looked at the man, her brow furrowing. In Gior, there was no human or passive servitude. She knew about it, her father was Anaxi after all, but it wasn’t the culture she grew up in. The galdori were self sufficient, relying on themselves. They didn’t expect the help of other races, and they didn’t mingle with them.

Clearly, this man needed to have purpose. To have direction from her.

“I will walk, but I need some errands run today. Here, take this coin, and go to town. I want some fruit, and be sure it’s fresh alright?” She came over, pressing the gold concord into his palm. The passive nodded, bowing a little, before getting on his carriage.

And so, with a brisk Bethas wind in her face, the Ambassador made her way into the University. Now it was daytime, she was able to truly appreciate the structures of the red brick complex. Whilst it wasn’t sunrise, it was still early enough that the sun held its orange tones, bouncing off the masonry with a ruddy glow. It reminded her of Professor Siordanti’s hair.

She stopped in her tracks, midway between the Ameter and Doxter residences. Where in the clocks did that come from?

Glancing around with a slightly pink touch to her cheeks, as though worried about who could hear her inner thoughts, Athrym lifted her chin and continued to the Grand Library.

As she entered, the blonde glanced at the clock above the young receptionist. It was only the 12th hour. It would still be a while before Nauleth Siordanti was due to meet her here. So, she browsed.

Taking a small armful of books to one of the study desks, she opened the first one; Innocent's Minds: Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

“...this suggests the use of magic causes extensive mental damage which leads to a perceived dependence on....tocks.” She rolled her eyes heavily, closing the leatherbound tome and moving to the next one. The Gioran read the name quietly out loud to herself.

“Coruscate, Scintillating Dwarf Astral Bodies; An Examination of the Actuality and Substance of Constellatory Masses Performing their Various Outlying Circumscriptions in their Distinguished, Resplendent, Adamantine Occupation of the Heavens. Imaan save me from this pretentious drivel.” Athrym sighed, opening the cover to fan the pages through her fingers, before closing it again. Her lips pouted in frustration, and with a withering stare she looked across the room.

Fiction

Standing with a graceful sweep of her skirts, the Gioran moved to the stacks that contained books on utter trash. Nothing of substance or value, but it was better than the rags she’d just subjected herself to.

“Mistress of the Sea; The Exploits of the Pirate Queen Albanaya. Hrm.” Her delicate fingers paused on the book, drawing it from the shelf and taking it back to her desk. Turning the cover, she began to read.

Nauleth Siordanti

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Bethas 4th, 2718
Trailing fingers over spines and gilded letters, Nauleth meandered his way between stacks of books, the Grand Library still rather quiet while students made their way out from their classrooms for the afternoon. He eyed titles and authors, the back of his busy mind summarizing the contents of a few of the familiar ones and making up nonsensical stories about the contents of the books he did not. Study nooks and sitting areas with desks were evenly spaced throughout the well-designed, beautiful architecture of the library, and the tall red head found it easy to peruse the bodies that filled those spaces: green uniforms and hair in varying shades of his own.

Like the titles of books from the shelves, the young professor eagerly read their fields, their monic contents his to explore, some far more controlled and eloquent than others, some impressively powerful and others woefully weak. A handful of faces he knew for they were students of his, and at least one of the girls in the study group looked up and offered him the shiest of waves. The small gathering of young people broke out into giggles and Naul could only manage a flustered, awkward, confused half-smile, shaking his head and quickly walking away.

It felt like ages since he'd been a fifth form, and he'd tried for years to forget it all.

Some people, like Professor Hulle, lived to make sure he didn't, unfortunately, and so lingering memories remained.

He was reaching the end of his possibilities, the study nooks devoid of the petite blonde and her fleeting but pretty smile. The young Siordanti finally spotted her, however, alone in one of the quiet corners, surrounded by shelves of dusty tomes and one of the tall windows. Aware that magic was somewhat frowned upon the sacred space of the library, he couldn't entirely help himself, quietly signing instead of speaking a simple conversation, the Physical mona hearing his almost coy request to lift the book she was reading, an act of calculated rebellion against the reliable gravity that kept it otherwise in place. It was brief, but would be very obvious to the Giorian Ambassador, especially when followed by Nauleth's reserved laughter as he approached her table and pulled the book from beneath her hands with waggle of his fingers and a very unprofessional, playful wink, hoping none of his students were watching him so blatantly break the Library rules as well as cast a spell for pure entertainment's sake,

"Sometimes I can't help the parlor tricks. I just can't." His gold-rimmed eyes glanced at the title, catching the word Pirate as he closed the book he'd stolen with his hands, the mona in his field settling again with the cessation of his spell, mingling with hers in a less than formal sort of greeting, "Here for pleasure then, Athrym?"

His comment was truly meant for her work of fiction and nothing devious, but he smirked anyway, one side at a time, setting the book back on the desk and leaning against the chair instead of sitting right away. Unable to resist looking at the other titles of books piled on the desk, none of which seemed particularly interesting, he met her spring green gaze and found he had to hold himself in check lest he get distracted by the way the afternoon sun complimented with its brightness the pale brightness of her hair or the fine alabaster of her skin. These were all new distractions and he felt foolish for allowing them, chewing the inside of his cheek for a moment before he mustered up a half-taunting, half-serious question,

"Do you not have libraries in Gior? If you're here to do research, you've done a clocking poor job of it." Pausing, Nauleth shrugged his shoulders and set his worn leather satchel on the table, clearly the same bag he'd carried books in while a green-uniformed student himself,

"Sorry. It's been a long day. Let me try that again, shall I? Hello, Athrym. It's a pleasure to see you again, uh, so soon." A hint of color rose from beneath his freckled cheeks, the flustered professor aware that he was very horrible when it came to polite company, "Did you finally get some rest? What are we here in the library for today? I've got a couple of titles to pick up myself, so please don't let me forget. Clock it all, it won't matter—I probably will."
Athrym Bruthgrave

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:18 am

Bethas 4th, 2718

Albanaya breathed deeply, her buxom breasts heaving, golden eyes watching Fredericho as he ripped his shirt in twaine.

“Your body is like de Goddess Alioe come to life, with your shapely child bearing hips and large....eyes.” He growled with a thick manly accent, the sea wind whipping his long black hair around his darkly tanned squared jaw. The mugrobi pirate smuggler King was the embodiment of all that was man, and his bright blue eyes feasted on her.

“Take me here, Fredericho! Take me by the—

Athrym jumped as the indecently not academic book lifted from the table, her summer eyes wide and cheeks brightly coloured. As the Professor laughed as he approached, she glanced at him, grabbing for the book with a panicked sound in her throat.

“What? I...no! That’s n-not—“ As Nauleth placed the book back on the table, she stacked it under the others, hiding her horrified embarrassment under a narrowed gaze at his rather abysmal greeting.

“Well if your clocking library wasn’t so underwhelming, maybe I’d have more to be researching.” Athrym snapped, her lips drawing into a frustrated pout as she glared up at the tall red-head. He was, almost infuriatingly so, still just as handsome during the day as he had been the evening before.

And almost as clocking insulting.

Field sizzling angrily, she opened her mouth to give the Anaxi a piece of her mind, cut short by his sudden apology. The man seemed almost flustered, the freckles on his cheeks disappearing in a wash of color that was almost enduring. The Gioran found her anger slipping away like water between her fingers, field softing around her.

“Good to see you too, Professor Siordanti. Yes, I suppose I did. Although it is dreadfully noisy here in the mornings. How can you stand it? Those mechanical steam contraptions that bleep up and down the street are positively ghastly. Give me a good moa any day.” Steepling her fingers, elbows on the table, Athrym fixed the man with a serious look.

“Aside from familiarising myself with the Anaxi culture, I was actually looking for more substantial works on the Living monic pathways, but everything here I’ve already read or is just—“ Making an exasperated noise, she lifted the Coruscate, Scintillating Dwarf....Book.

“I mean honestly. What is this supposed to be? The title is almost longer than the content. Your books lack....substance. Tangible theoretical literature that can be put into theory.” Setting the book down the ambassador echoed her mothers thoughts on her education.

“I’ve turned twenty one this year, it’s only another ten—maybe twenty—before I’m expected to know my True Name. I need to apply myself, and find a way to connect with the mona on a deeper level.” Pouting again, her temper simmered again, feeling the pressure of someone else’s expectations weighing on her shoulders. Raising an eyebrow at the taller man, the blonde shrugged.

“I also promised to show the pleasant side of what Living conversation can truly do. Given I am yet to memorise the University Map, it seemed logical to have you meet me here.” Her pout turned slowly into a wide almost devilish smile, as though challenging Nauleth to another duel, before taking a sharp breath and frowning with false afterthought.

“Unless you’ve changed your mind that is. I’m sure these students would much rather take your time, if appearances are anything to go on.” Athrym tilted her chin at a group of young ladies in their green school uniforms, whispering and paying far more attention to what the Junior Professor was doing then any studies they had. With a sudden ruffle of high pitched whispers and giggling, the girls collected their books and fled to the other side of the library, stealing glances behind as they went.

The blonde Ambassador stifled a smirk. It wasn’t that long ago she was a student, and whilst the stoic Gioran would never be seen dead giggling like a brainless lug, she remembered having crushes on the older boys. Her tastes were more about brains then looks, but to be fair to the girls, Professor Siordanti was rather easy on the eyes.

“Seem’s you have a following, Professor.”

Elisora Rivaen
Topics: 8
Race: Writer

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:52 am

Bethas 4th, 2718
Elise was quite disappointed when she walked peered into the class only to see that the Physical Magic class was already over, its students’ packing up their notes and chatting lightly with one another as they left the room. Not to mention that its professor was nowhere in sight. She certainly did not get all the way to the university for nothing.

Fortunately, it only took questioning three students to find out that the junior professor was heading to the library.

A thought had been hovering in her mind for a couple of days now. The heart and its electrical system had always been a tricky and delicate thing to handle even for the most talented of healers. The system was what allowed the heart to beat and keep its rhythm. In healthy hearts, at least. Diseased hearts was another matter entirely. Its electrical activity can go out of control, barring the heart from pumping appropriately – which means blood flow throughout the body would be hindered. They’ll need to correct the electrical pattern in order for the heart to work as it should again.

While Living magic can stop the unruly current by shutting down the cells, it carried a big risk for the cells might not heal into what it was before. But she knew there must be a solution to that.

Then, it crossed her mind that perhaps they could manipulate the electrical currents themselves. And while Elise took pride in her ability to manipulate the living, electricity was definitely out of her area of expertise. So, the young galdor took it upon herself to seek out a Physical mage in an effort to figure out if they were capable of sending out controlled amounts of electricity through a delicate tissue.

Her ideas were still a mess of jumbled thoughts that mostly only made sense to her. Which was why she preferred to seek out a junior professor rather than one of her own teachers and one Professor Siordanti was recommended to her. She would try the library and return tomorrow should she failed to find him.

Even with just her first step into the library, Elise was greeted by the familiar scent of ancient tomes and old wood. She couldn’t how many hours she had spent in this place during her school years. It was both a place to learn and an escape for her. Towering bookshelves stood before her, but Elise had never felt anything but awe when she gazed upon them. She remembered making a bet with Erikarn, regarding who would be able to finish all the books in the library first.

Looking for a single man in this place would take way too long. But it seems like Vita was on her side today, a young man heard her asking of the professor’s whereabouts to a librarian and helpfully pointed the place where he had last seen the man.

After a few minutes of peering between shelves and snaking between the shelves, the young woman finally spotted a shock of red hair. The man was surprisingly young, probably only a handful of years older than her and he was chatting with a pretty, blonde-haired woman. As much as it might not be polite to just cut into their conversation, Elise’s mind was filled with too much curiosity to put that into consideration and simply strode right up to them.

The white blouse and deep blue skirt she was wearing should be enough hint that Elise wasn’t one of his students. She was quite sure that she got the right man, but there was nothing wrong with being sure. After clearing her throat, the young woman took one step closer to the desk. “Apologies for interrupting, but I am looking for Professor Siordanti. His students told me I could find him here.” As an afterthought she added, “My name is Elisora Rivaen, healer from Grand Mercy Hospital, I was hoping that we would be able to discuss on some matters regarding Physical and Living magic.”
Last edited by Elisora Rivaen on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nauleth Siordanti

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 am

Bethas 4th, 2718
"Underwhelming? Tocks—Brunnhold is the most advanced University in the Kingdoms and you're calling our clocking library under-clocking-whelming? Please. You clearly just didn't bother to smile at the Scryer. It's her job to help you, you know." Nauleth was ruffled by her slight, unsure as to whether she was teasing him or just that unskilled at using a library properly. Fingers fidgeted with the button at his collar and he scowled at the blonde, her blush from whatever was on the pages of the book he took from her and her pout making it very difficult to be too angry at her ignorance.

Sighing, he leaned his palms on the desk and shook his head at her complaints about the noise. The Stacks weren't quiet, but the junior professor had chosen to live at the far end of town on purpose, "Once I could get off campus, I did. You get used to the noise, you really do, but I'll admit I live about as far from it all as I can. I even have a garden." His lopsided smile bordered on the devious, perhaps because she insisted on calling him professor and it was ridiculously endearing from her mouth. He refused to correct her, either. His gold-rimmed eyes glanced from her face to the book she pointed at, an astrological wonder of a compendium not meant for the feint of heart when it came to enduring unnecessary science.

"There's a few alternative places to find research materials, Athrym." The tall red head's grin was conspiratory and his voice dropped, resisting the temptation to lean closer lest he become distracted in her pale-skinned vicinity, "If you fancy learning more of Brunnhold's topography, I could take you to the Crypts—in addition to a few decomposing historical points of interest, there are some private libraries I ... may have access to as faculty."

Shrugging almost dismissively, he couldn't help but smirk at her admission of age, the petite blonde a couple of years behind him but under no less pressure to perform—if not more, from the sounds of things. Somewhat ignorant of Gioran culture despite his upbringing in a politically active home, Naul simply assumed she suffered from being an only child under the needful requirements of an ambitious household. He knew the feeling, only he had competition. He opened his mouth to admit he was also eager to continue to repair and grow his relationship with the mona in the ardent desire to find his True name, but she was challenging him again and his field bristled,

"The more pleasant side? I doubt we can find that here in public, Athrym, but if you—I what?" Her verdant green eyes had slipped past him, over his narrow shoulders to some other study alcove tucked in the glorious stacks of meticulously maintained tomes, and he heard the giggles. Again, color rose to drown out the freckles on his aquiline features and he bit his lip, narrowing his eyes at her accusation without daring to look over his shoulder at the girls he could only assume were fifth form students of his.

Oh gods.

"I wouldn't call it a following—"

His name was on someone else's lips and Nauleth startled, briefly expecting it to be one of the more outspoken of said students taking the risk of coming over to ask him for an appointment during his office hours. Thank Alioe the voice was a little more mature, however, and as he turned, one hand still leaning on the desk while the other returned to finding a button to fuss with somewhere on his coat, he offered Elisora the briefest of smiles. While the delay of the left side of his face in mirroring his right truly was only milliseconds, it was noticeable enough to those who were looking, and already self-conscious under Athrym's coy observations and her attractive presence, it took the junior professor a moment longer than was polite to finally exhale a flustered greeting,

"That's me, yes. Professor Siordanti. Uh. Look, I'm not interested in any more studies after my backlash. It's been eight years, and if Professor Hulle put you up to it after last night, I'm not—wait. Physical magic? What is it you're inquiring of me, Miss Rivaen? Oh, tocks, my manners." Nauleth scolded himself quietly in the end, standing straight and waving his hand in a formal gesture toward the petite blonde sitting at the desk,

"This is Gioran Ambassador Athrym Bruthgrave. She's also quite accomplished in Living magic, so if you're from the Hospital, it's only polite of me to arrange your acquaintance, but, while we were in the middle of studious pursuits," The young Siordanti's tone bordered on the coy, as if he was expressing some inside joke that amused himself, "please let me know why you're interested in me? Care to walk? I believe we were on our way toward the Church."

Athrym Bruthgrave

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:14 am

Bethas 4th, 2718
His field bristled as he defended the library, sizzling as it mingled with her own, being only a table across from each other. Touchy, she thought to herself, wondering if she’d be as aggressive defending Qrieth. The Gioran narrowed her eyes at his heated insults, choosing to hold her tongue for the sake of peace. The man just could not seem to help himself, and her temper was too easily stirred.

Deep breaths!

“A garden Professor? Well, I would never have picked you for a green thumb. You can’t really crush plants into growing.” She said quietly, curiosity peaked by the lopsided smile that most certainly did not align with the topic of gardening. Perhaps he’d caught a glimpse of the words in her fiction text? The blonde glanced away, looking at the books rather than his devious grin.

Alternative places? The Crypts? Private libraries?

Her summer gaze widened slightly with a clear eager interest, eyes shifting back to students as the conversation continued. Even though his field belayed annoyance at her words, Athrym couldn’t help but smile at his obvious discomfort. The taller Anaxi clearly had something to say on the matter, when a voice interrupted them. The ambassador glanced up at the auburn haired woman that approached them, introducing herself as Elisora Rivaen, a healer from the hospital in the city itself. Interested in the matters of Physical and Living magic? Athrym stood, smoothing her skirts as Professor Siordanti gave Elisora what seemed to be a trademark not-so-polite greeting. She reached out a hand to shake the healers firmly as Nauleth composed himself enough to make an introduction on her own behalf.

Tocks he was incorrigible.

“Miss Rivaen, a pleasure to meet a fellow Living enthusiast. I imagine in your line of work it would be a standard conversation study. I considered stepping into a career in healing post my graduation in Qrieth, however the Da Hune felt it more suitable to send me as an ambassador to this...place.” The distain in her voice was mild, and her eyes flicked to Nauleth for a moment as she said it, hands clasping before her.

“Yes, Professor, I believe we were. Although I fail to see how the house of the dead would be better than the Grand Library of Brunnhold.” The pale woman glanced around, before shooting the man another wry smile.

“Then again, maybe I can.” Turning back to the healer, Athrym waved a hand in invitation, her summer eyes dancing with amusement.

“Care to accompany us, Miss Rivaen? Perhaps it’s wiser to have another with you when a strange man invites you to wander around a crypt, yes?”

Elisora Rivaen
Topics: 8
Race: Writer

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:08 am

Bethas 4th, 2718
At the mention of a backlash and Professor Hulle, Elise had to stop her eyes from widening in realization. The name Siordanti had been bugging her since she first heard it. It only dawned on her that the man before her must be Nauleth Siordanti. His name came up quite a lot while she taken under the wings of Professor Hulle and Daalton. While the young woman haven’t really witnessed many backlashes back then, she had always been curious why her mentors seemed quite taken by the case.

She couldn’t recall whether or not Daalton had ever told her outright, but Elise had always had an inkling that her former beau had been involved in the duel somehow. No one had come forward with any information, so the entire school was left to speculate – including her.

It probably wasn’t entirely wise to mention that, so Elise simply turned her attention to the fact that the man was at least willing to hear her out. “I’ve been toying with an idea in my head about a solution to help treat heart diseases and since it involves electricity, I figured it isn’t a terrible idea to consult with a Physical mage such as yourself.”

“A Gioran ambassador and Living mage? It is certainly an honor to meet you, Miss Bruthgrave,” the redhead replied with a firm shake of the other woman’s hands. It was rather reassuring that the blonde-haired woman seemed more welcoming to her presence. “I have to say I do have a soft spot for Gior – for it was the land which my mother had come from. It must be quite nice to be able to travel. As much as I love my work as a healer, it unfortunately tied me down on this land.”

Elise laughed lightly at the woman’s comment. “That is certainly a wise course of action and I wouldn’t mind a trip down the crypts. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been there.”
Last edited by Elisora Rivaen on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nauleth Siordanti

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Bethas 4th, 2718
"I was told once that taking care of plants would be, well, therapeutic or at least relaxing in some way, especially during my recovery. I'd never profess to being good at it, but it's something to do in fair weather when not staring at mid-term papers. It's also a little satisfying on occasion." He shrugged, looking out the window for a few ticks with such an admission. When one didn't keep or couldn't manage a lot of friends, it wasn't so bad to have a hobby. Biking and gardening kept the young Siordanti out of too much trouble, though dueling and drinking were far more entertaining when he had the time to spare. Life as an adult was a strange adjustment after university and post-graduate studies, and only a few of his peers seemed to offer survival tips on their whim.

Nauleth didn't apologize for his defensiveness once Miss Rivaen interrupted, choosing instead to listen to the red-headed woman who looked at least somewhat familiar. Perhaps they'd crossed paths in their studies, but to be fair, the reluctant professor didn't always commit to memory the names of acquaintances unless they somehow managed to catch his attention. Elisora's proposal was interesting enough in this moment—treating a body ailment with the aid of both Living and Physical magic,

"Electricity, Miss Rivaen? Well. That seems like an out of the box proposal, which I tend to be somewhat willing to make time for if given the opportunity. Did the Chairs already weigh in on your ideas? Or are you looking for me to collaborate direction with before you bring up the subject for approval?" The taller galdor was cautious only because of his experience with Professors like Hulle, their history a strange and uncomfortable one. While he'd have to be convinced to show up at the hospital or an infirmary of any kind without just cause, Naul was at least willing to hear the young woman out.

The ladies exchanged introductions, and the young Siordanti found it interesting that the two shared half-Gioran origins and yet looked completely different,

"The Crypts are more than just a reverent depository of accomplished, educated or otherwise important dead bodies here in Brunnhold. Memorabilia, often in the form of entire collections of literary works and grimoires not suitable for every day public access can be found there. Also, well, sometimes ghosts, but that's a minor issue between the three of us ... surely." The professor was laughing deviously, arching his more functional eyebrow in mischievousness before re-shouldering his satchel, glancing again at the young woman who he was now quite sure he'd seen before. On the Lawn? In class? Somewhere. Her name escaped him, however, even if he'd probably heard it before, too.

While he didn't think he'd looked her way too often to appear more than just casually curious, to accidentally look too interested in her on a more attraction-based assumption (Elisora was rather pretty, if he had to be honest, though she wasn't pretty enough to distract him from the Gioran Ambassador as much as it appeared), he let his gold-rimmed eyes drift past Athrym to her books for one last moment before pausing awkwardly for a moment, the man between two women, unsure of how to be both gentlemanly and polite to both of them at the same time while pretending not at all to favor Athrym despite how much he wanted to, especially in front of Elisora, he hovered uselessly for a tick too many,

"Right, so." The tall red head cleared his throat and offered an arm with all the mustered bravado he could find hiding in his narrow chest to the petite blond, waving his other hand toward the way out of the library without much flair, "Would you mind explaining more to me about your project as we walk, Elisora—and tell me why your name feels so familiar. When did you graduate?"

If the Gioran Ambassador took his arm when he asked for her company without words—well, even if she didn't—he'd lead the three of them from the Grand Library and toward the Church of the Moon. He held the door for the two women as expected, the Bethas sun dancing off of red brick and buds waiting to bloom and grass happy to grow in the warming weather. The singing of the Everine could be heard all across Brunnhold to some degree, especially on clear days like this one, and so it was easy to know which direction to lead them.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Bethas 4th, 2718
The Ambassador raised her eyebrows in genuine surprise, looking the woman over more closely. She hadn’t picked up any of the albinism of her mother’s heritage, but once Elisora mentioned being of Gioran decent, Athrym began to notice the subtle signs. The structure of her nose, and the strength in her jaw. A shame that she’d taken on so much of her clearly Anaxi father’s genetics.

“Gior is undoubtedly the finest Kingdom in Vita, you should absolutely visit. It’s nothing like Anaxas, very much a self sustained environment. We rely on no other races to survive, and our lines are pure. Oh and Qrieth is quite a sight to behold when dusk falls and they light up the lanterns.” At the mention of travel, the blonde snorted and rolled her eyes, most unladylike.

“Trust me Miss Rivaen, once you’ve spent weeks in a moa drawn carriage, you’ll never ever ever want to travel again.” Turning back to Nauleth, she cautiously took his arm when offered, her cheeks just a touch pinker than usual. It was all so gentlemanly and formal, and not unnoticed that he offered his arm to her. Narrowing her eyes at the man’s description of the crypts, Athrym scoffed.

“Ghosts, Professor? Surely that’s a fairytail to scare students away from such important historical works. The dead have their places.” Taking a breath, she waved her free hand dismissively.

“Anyhow, if it is true, my experiences on the matter is that they aren’t there to harm us. Merely recordings trapped in the mona causing illusions for the living.” She said with a shrug, covering any possible nerves about the undead with stern bravado. As they exited the Grand Library, Athrym smiled again at Elisora from across Nauleth.

“Here, agreed. I’d love to understand this project of yours too. Whilst I am in Brunnhold for more of a political point of view, my academic’s is what got me here. Wouldn’t the electrical currents burn out the cellular connections in the heart? Or is that what you’re looking to use Living conversation for? I could assume that using an isolation spell, and interweaving something to encourage animation of the tissue, you might be able to stimulate certain cells, or muscular structures? Have you considered how to channel the currents? Magic or technology?” The Gioran swept her gaze across the campus before them, surprised by how beautiful it had suddenly become, sunlight bouncing off the brickwork and gleaming through the gardens whilst the Everine sang their chorus.

“My, you were quite right Professor Siordanti. The place does look quite different during the day.” She said, offering a begrudging compliment to the place she had thus far decided was nothing like the brochures suggested.

She wouldn’t of course go as far as admitting it was beautiful. That was crossing a line.

“Shame it’s so lacklustre in the evening.”

There it was. Couldn’t just let the compliment sit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information