[Closed] Unofficial Office Hours

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
Race: Galdor
: Magus in the Making
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:29 pm

19th of Yaris, 2719
WEST CAMPUS | AFTERNOON

]Image
"I t is good to see you back on campus, Mister Siordanti. I especially enjoyed your presentations during the Gala of Physics! Will you be returning to teaching classes in the new year? Perhaps a bit of League participation?" Castor Devlin strode with the kind of purpose that Nauleth had always envied, moving with a grace and poise, mona thick and expressive in the Magister's Perceptive-laden field. He wore a bit of weariness in his features, however, and the redheaded younger man knew the sensation of worry far too well after his time spent practically imprisoned in Gior.

"I didn't think I'd ever actually have to say it's good to be back, Magister Devlin."

Naul almost grunted, glancing away from the dark-haired older galdor to glare out the windows of the hall they walked together through, feeling the glitter of glorious sunlight on his freckled face. He carried a rather heavy box full of personal belongings—really, just books—and over his shoulder was slung his satchel full of, yees, more books. He could have requested assistance, of course, from any number of the gated passive population, but, for so many reasons, Naul was admittedly hesitant. Instead, he chose to endure the dry season heat and the sting of damaged nerves himself, though it certainly didn't show on his face,

"But it is definitely my hope to return to both research—on the rifts and leyfabric and also electromagnetism—as well as taking up a class or two. I have already been asked to judge or coach for Dueling League, yes, though I'll admit I miss participating—maybe I should. Anyway, I have been invited to discuss monic theory with your own research partner, Professor Moore—I'm not entirely sure why, but I have a guess or two—"

"—he and I were, as far as we know, the first to discover a rift here in Anaxas, so there is already some research for you to catch up on. Your personal experiences will be very valuable, I'm sure. However, if it's our passive research that makes you question Harper's theoretical knowledge, then that is something you two will have to work out in conversation." There was a hint of amusement in Castor's voice, an awareness. It was more than likely that the Magister already knew of Naul's decision to become legal guardian of a Gioran passive, and that realization caused the younger man to frown,

"N-no. I can't say that is much of an issue. Or maybe it is. I'm not sure. I'm quite conflicted on that subject, but I've seen a rift with my own eyes and been so achingly close to it in the Deep that, honestly, the issue of passivity in our current society is perhaps the least of my concerns."

Ah, and then the other man laughed. It was knowing and strangely bitter, the Magister's dark eyes twinkling with a mischief Nauleth didn't understand. Clapping him gently on the back, Castor hummed his words, grinning like a hatcher in a way that was too disturbing for the redhead who'd faced the mythical beasts before and lived—barely.

"Oh, Mister Siordanti, I'm sure your experiences have opened your mind wider than that."

"Well—uh—" The younger galdor blinked, pausing there in the hall, heat crawling up the back of his neck toward his face. His mind wandered back into the Deep, past the gilded, bejeweled skulls of passive children and their empty eye sockets watching his intrepid party on their way toward their doom in the depths. He wasn't sure if Castor was trying to coax him into making a connection he couldn't see, wasn't sure if passives and the monic disturbances were somehow related, but he didn't have the presence of mind in this moment to steer his thoughts completely onto that course, "—perhaps. It's become rather complicated and difficult to articulate."

"All the more reason to discuss things with Moore and myself. I'm sure you will separate your research from your classroom teachings with proper prudence, Mister Siordanti."

"Yes. That much I'm sure of." Nauleth nodded, adjusting the satchel of books he was returning to his little narrow closet of an office over his shoulder with a shrug, feeling the dull ache settle into damaged nerves and ligaments of his left side, "There are things galdori students are not prepared or yet ready to deal with. Not to say I am—or was—ready, either, but here we are."

The Magister smirked in agreement, far too aware of where he was in the situation, in the status of Anaxi people, and in magical awareness. The Perceptive professor's well-developed field flexed and filled the space between the two men with its impressive weight, and Castor paused, tilting his head toward a hallway that led toward another wing of the Hall,

"Indeed, here we are. And now, much too soon, unfortunately, I must be off this way toward the Headmistress' office. May Alioe bless you getting settled back here on Campus, and I look forward to working on some research together."

"Thank you, Magister Devlin. That feeling is mutual." Naul mustered a smile, though somewhere in his narrow, freckled chest, he was sure he felt his heart grow heavy like lead, dragged down into his stomach by that irrefutable force called gravity that he'd bent so many times with magic. He watched the other man walk away, feeling keenly the ebb of the powerful sorcerer's field as it faded from his senses, only to see Castor turn one last time with an almost boyish grin on his well-aged face,

"Oh, and congratulations on your recent nuptials, Mister Siordanti. I hope your marriage is far more successful than mine."

Sunlight danced over his back, seeping through his clothes in the Yaris heat and it felt so clocking good he couldn't even care that he was already soaked. He blinked at the admission from the Magister, finding it hard to say thank you and give his condolences at the same time, "Well, I suppose you have an opportunity to impart some wisdom so I can learn from your mistakes."

Mister Devlin laughed again, shaking his head, and turned again, leaving Nauleth alone in the crossing of halls. The thrill of the Gala of Physics had faded, but he'd had several requests for more meetings and suggestions for patents on his work with alternating currents. Setting his office back up again in order to arrange for meetings on Campus instead of at his home full of Giorans seemed like the most expedient first step.

Not that he felt as though he had anything to be ashamed of, especially not any of his choices made in the escape from Gior and his companions, even Leyenak. Naul almost would have admitted to getting used to the feeling of dread that clung to him like some kind of after effect of overcasting or runoff from a series of too many League duels.

Turning away, the eldest Siordanti knew the steps to his old closet of an office by heart, the path ingrained into his muscle memory much like his bike route from his home in the Stacks. Not expecting many students to even know he'd returned to Brunnhold yet, nor really expecting any visitors at all in the heat of the dry season on campus, he made his way to his office nestled between the other professors of Physical conversation on one side and the Physics department on the other, setting his box down with a growl and thunk.

Leaning against the wall, he wiped the sweat from the side of his face with the back of his hand before fumbling in his vest pocket for his keys, quite sure he'd locked his door all those godsbedamned months ago.
Welcome to Brunnhold. Now go home.

Tags:
Norellie Siordanti
Topics: 2
Writer: Amethyst

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm

19th of Yaris, 2719
West Campus | Afternoon
The afternoon sun flooded through the window of Norellie’s dorm room, creating a warm glow around everything it touched. Norellie sat at her desk, fixated on the pages of the leather-bound book in front of her. She was studying the Gioran language for one of her classes.

She read each Gioran word in a whispered tone. She followed each word with her index finger. Once she felt somewhat comfortable, she closed the book. The young Galdor picked up a small mirror, usually used when she did her makeup and held it up to her face. A deep breath escaped her lips as she readied herself to speak with a believable Gioran accent.

She smiled as she began speaking in Gioran. “Hello! My name is, Norellie Siordanti.”

Norellie opened up the book and checked to see if she had said the correct words. To her disappointment, she hadn’t. Instead, she said “Hello! My sexy is, Norellie Siordanti.”

Again, Norellie closed the book and tried to speak another phrase in Gioran. What she wanted to say was. “It is nice to meet you, thank you for welcoming me” but after checking back to her book, what she had actually said in Gioran was, “Nice to meet you. I am a beautiful boat.”

Aggravation took over Norellie’s emotions. She was frustrated with herself. All she could think about was if she had actually said that to someone. What if she said that to someone important. How embarrassed she would be.

It was difficult for the Galdor to practicing speaking a language she barely knew by herself. She needed to actively speak it with another person to effectively learn it. Norellie tried to think of anyone she might have known that could help her during this time. Her friends were all probably studying as well or in a class.

Only one person came to mind causing her to let out a deep sigh. She knew her brother, Naul, had known the language and would possibly be able to help her. The problem was, they had not spoken for quite some time.

“Well…what ever it takes to succeed,” she said to herself.

Norellie stood up from her seat. She stuffed the textbook neatly into the bookbag she used to carry around her belongings. She slung the back over her shoulder, smoothed out her dress, and made her way out of her dormitory.

In her time as a student of the university, she had been to her brother’s office only a couple of times, but still somewhat remembered where it was located. She made her way towards where she thought it was, using landmarks to jog her memory and lead her in the right direction. All of her classes had always just focused on her political ambitions and her conversations, so there was rarely ever a need for her to come to this section of the university. After only a few misturns, her eyes caught sight of a bright orange-haired man.

“Here goes nothing,” Norellie thought to herself as she approached Naul, with her hands clasped behind her back. “Uhm...Hey, Naully. I...uhm… I needed your help with something.”

If he turned around, he would find Norellie tucking her hair behind her ear and looking at the ground. In this moment, Norellie could feel the awkwardness that filled the space between them and although she was afraid to admit it, she missed talking to her brother but was afraid to disobey their father’s command - “No communication with Nauleth”.

Nauleth Siordanti

Wed May 13, 2020 4:24 pm

19th of Yaris, 2719
WEST CAMPUS | AFTERNOON

Nauleth had not been consulted, warned, or otherwise directly told about the distance Hadrian demanded of his siblings from himself after his backlash had almost left him paralyzed, after his backlash had left the sting of shame in its wake. It had been a shock: waking up to a world where his family dynamics had changed.

Had changed without him.

The eldest Siordanti still couldn't say which had been a more difficult recovery—the physical or the social—but he could say, now, finally, that he'd overcome the challenges. Whether or not he'd come out of them all on top was a matter of opinion, but he'd come out of them like he'd come out of the Deep beneath Qrieth, Gior—twice!—alive. Like the scars that stood out sharply beneath all of his layers of well-tailored clothing on freckled skin, there were parts of his previous life as the Siordanti favored son he'd not forgotten. One of those things was most definitely not the matured voice of his sister, nor was it at all the no-longer doe-toed field of someone who might as well have been a stranger even though they were family.

He'd managed to get his key in the lock. It was just as shoddy and sticky as it'd been almost a year ago, and he frowned as he turned it just so, left side turning downward after the right, and that frowned deepened at the unexpected brush of a monic signature and that first breath someone takes when speaking.

He'd not even started teaching again and someone was—

—oh.

"Norellie?" The door sighed open and the physical sorcerer turned, fingers slipping from the handle. Gold-rimmed, blue-green eyes took in a face that was both the same as he remembered and yet so much older. Sure, they'd perhaps seen each other in passing: in the Cafeteria, on campus, but also, they'd hardly seen each other at all in eight years.

As per Hadrian's orders. Of course.

"Hello. Help? Mine?" Naul caught his breath and managed a smile, lopsided and awkward and confused. His left hand reached up, tugging at his cravat, the silver band he wore on his ring finger undeniably present, "Did something happen at home? Come in."

His thoughts immediately turned toward Vienda, and though he'd just recently returned from laying low beneath the shadow of the Siordanti estate with Gioran fugitives, enough time had passed that something could have occurred in his absence. Surely, one of his family would let him know if it did,

"I, uh—clocking hell, it's been a long time, Ellie."

Some things never changed.

Norellie Siordanti
Topics: 2
Writer: Amethyst

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:04 pm

🙞 West Hall / Brunnhold
on the 19th of Yaris, 2719, during the afternnon.
The awkwardness between them was excruciating. For so long Norellie had done her best to remain obedient to her father’s wishes and to neglect her eldest brother. Not talking to him. Just cut him off completely. Of course, if she had control over her family, he would never have been exiled at all. She loved her siblings too much to do that, but she chose to follow the side of her father, instead of doing the right thing. Now she stood before him, not in an attempt to right things, but to ask for a favor.

What kind of a person does that?

She stood up straight, looking into her brother’s eyes. A smile spread across her face as he said her name. A geat amount of happiness came from hearing his voice again. So much time had passed by, so many years, and Nualleth was just so much different than how Norellie had thought she remembered him; her minorly conceited, ambitious brother, who sometimes did stupid things now had a more calmed, awkward persona to him.

Norellie’s expression changed quickly as she reassured him nothing major was wrong (other than her overwhelming frustration over this class, and the fact that “Oh, no, no! Nothing is wrong at home…” Her eyes glanced at his hands as it fiddled with the cravat around his neck and she spotted the silver ring around his finger. Had he… married someone? Did she already know about this and just forget with the time, or was she just never told about the event? She looked back up and followed her brother into his office and let her bright, brown eyes wander around the small room, noticing the papers, and books around.

She turned to look at him with an apologetic expression on her face. “Yes… it’s been too long. And I’m sorry for that. You have no idea how many times I have wanted to just forget about Father’s wishes, and to just pull you back home myself.” A sigh exasperated from her lips as she looked down at the floor. Her long red hair falling down and masking her face. “I really am sorry, Naully.”
🙝
Nauleth Siordanti

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:11 pm

19th of Yaris, 2719
WEST CAMPUS | AFTERNOON

He reached for the door handle again. Once. Twice. He missed the first time but attempted to pass it off as nothing, hardly paying attention because Naul was, instead, staring at Norellie. When did she grow up? Why didn't he get to see it?

His lips formed a thin line in his relief, nodding when she'd said nothing was wrong at home because his breath got lodged somewhere between his cravat and the back of his throat and he sort of just hovered there, one foot in the hall, the other on the threshold of his disorganized little office that used to be a closet not so long ago.

"Well, Hadrian is used to getting what he wants, I suppose, and it's never been easy to argue otherwise. I just, uh, sort of took things as they were and moved on. I figured everyone else did, too—no hard feelings where you're not allowed to have feelings, right?" The tall professor snorted, though sarcasm was easy to detect on the edges of his baritone voice. He shrugged, practically falling over himself to not reminisce to much, to not dwell on things that might've caused his sister to decide she didn't want to be here after all.

What was she clocking here for anyway?

"There's—I don't know if there's anything to be repentant for after all this time. I could've reached out, really, and I chose not to. I should apologize, too. Come in, I guess, and tell me what you're here for—"

He paused, following the motion of her eyes from his hand with that keen observation of a man who spent far too much time out on the Field of Practical Application and on the sidelines of Dueling League courts.

Oh.

Godsdamnit. Did she know? Did anyone know? She'd probably not even heard of Athrym Bruthgrave unless mother or father had said something personally.

Now he was blushing, slipping into his office to set all of his things on his desk in the most flustered of fashions.

"—surely you're not just here to say you're sorry."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information