[Closed] Crashing Down on You and Me

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Aremu Ediwo
Topics: 24
Race: Passive
: A pirate full of corpses
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: moralhazard
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Morning, 9 Dentis, 2719
Brunnhold Campus
Aremu’s eyebrows lifted, slowly, surprise plain on his face at Aurelie’s invitation. He hadn’t expected it; it touched him more than he thought he could say.

It was one thing, even speaking true, to express a wish to see another person again; it was easy enough to wish such a thing, even to mean it. This, to him, seemed more real, more concrete, and he found himself flattered by it.

Aremu thought he could make out what lay beneath the hesitation, the careful tracing and retracing of words. I am lonely, he heard; your presence would make me less so. He did not take it as anything about himself, precisely, other than that he had been willing to come here, to speak with her. But that was enough; he felt it, warm and gentle, in his chest. He did not need more. It had not been easy to come, to speak with her; he thought it was an act of which he could be proud.

“I will come,” Aremu promised, quietly. “I should be glad to,” he lied, gently, because he did not wish to trouble her.

He could have escaped the lie of it. He would be glad to speak to her; that was true enough. Perhaps that was how she would take it; it was an easy way to avoid lying, to speak strictly truth, and let the listener be blamed for filling in gaps where they should not be filled. Aremu wondered if he would have done it, had he prized truth so; he knew how to speak it.

But he knew, in himself, it was a lie. He could not be glad to come. The thought of spending another day on the campus, of crossing the bridge over the water outside and walking through the red brick buildings, the trees all around and the wall looming behind, filled him with a terror he could not name. It coiled deep inside him, and seethed and writhed. It whispered of ties that bound, of shackles and chains; it whispered, in truth, of pale blue uniforms.

It had been easy enough, with Aurelie’s bright face in front of him, to lie with the hope of reassuring her; it was easy enough to promise true. He would not be more of a liar than he had to, Aremu told himself. He knew, already, with an ache that was cold all through his veins, that he would come.

And yet - at her question he grinned; he grinned without thinking, without needing to think. She did not fool him, not even for a moment; he understood what the question meant. He would accept, Aremu thought, whatever it was she wished to offer; he was grateful even for the intent that lay beneath asking.

“No,” Aremu said, and his grin widened, and stretched to fill his eyes, and all the once dark and shadowed places of his face. “I eat everything,” he said, and if his tone had edged into sheepish, it was amused too, and friendly, and even warm.

Aremu bowed, gently; he was well-practiced at the maneuver, a graceful one with both arms, and his hand and wrist tucked away behind his back as he rose. He did not mean to keep her; he did not wish for trouble to find either of them. “It was very good to meet you, Aurelie,” he chose the name that lay on her heart; he hoped she would understand. He hoped, too, that she would call him Aremu in return. “I shall see you tomorrow.”

Tags:
Aurelie Steerpike
Topics: 25
Race: Passive
: Deeply Awkward Mom Friend
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O' Rushes
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:15 pm

She wasn't so completely ridiculous as to believe that Aremu would actually be glad to come back to Brunnhold campus again, just to make idle conversation with her. But he'd agreed to do it and she was glad. Worth it then, to ask, even though she'd felt so terribly selfish. Even though it was selfish, no matter how she felt. Hopefully it would be worth it for Aremu to, at least a little, since he'd agreed to come and talk with her again.

Aurelie was glad again that she'd asked about food, because he grinned then and she found herself smiling back. There--that was good. She had been on the right track after all. "Everything" gave her a lot to work with, and immediately a part of her mind set to work on deciding what that "everything" would be. Something easy, or that she had already started, and could carry... Something she was proud of making. She bit her lip and smiled while she thought about it, shy but pleased. She did have one skill, after all. Might as well use it.

"Good," she said and didn't elaborate. It was probably obvious--nobody ever really asked that question for any other purpose. Still. She liked to pretend there was some mystery involved. Better to not say anything, too, in case things didn't work out and it was just conversation she could offer after all.

Aurelie had gotten so wrapped up in thinking about what she would make for tomorrow that she had forgotten she had said she had to leave. Hastily she bowed back. Her manners left her at the strangest times, she thought.

"It--It was good meeting you, too, s--" Aurelie caught herself and stopped. He'd used her name. She wanted to be friends. Real friends, friends who... who used each other's names. Properly. "A-Aremu. I'll... I'll see you tomorrow then."

She bowed again, then waved as she scuttled off. She felt a little rude, leaving him behind, but she couldn't help it. It wasn't like she could walk him out, after all. Matron Rosalis would be waiting, and she would have to explain--well. She could just say she had wanted to practice her stitching and gotten caught up in it; that was true often enough that she thought even she could manage the lie without stumbling too much. And after work, she could think about what to make for tomorrow. Something sweet, something that can be taken away if it isn't all finished in one sitting, something...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information