[Open] The Fields We Know

Cafeteria shenanigans abound

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Cap O' Rushes
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Brunnhold Student Cafeteria
Vortas 28, 2720 - The Lunch Hour
Cerise's eyebrows went up, and stayed up, as Kuleda kept talking. And talking, and talking--Cerise was only half-listening to large portions of it, catching every few words. She gave the coughing young man a look out of the corner of her eye. It was still his fault this was happening to her, and he didn't seem to be in any immediate permanent danger. Cerise kept her hands to herself. Besides, there was the Hoxian, swooping in to do whatever apparently needed doing. Problem solved.

"Don't die," was her only comment to the younger student. Something about the smile on her face suggested that she didn't much care if he took her advice.

The response to her name from Kuleda was not, she had to admit, at all what she would have thought. There was too much chatter, both actual chatter from Kuleda and the noise of so many fields so close when she'd expected to sit alone, and it was making it hard for Cerise to get her bearings on the whole situation. Kuleda's eyes had widened, something visibly straining to connect in her mind, before she turned to Vks with the most inane expression of surprise. Not, Cerise thought with a frown, the surprise of one realizing that they had forgotten a former classmate.

Anything Cerise might have said about that was lost in another assault of words--this time about Sish, who had made herself briefly visible. "It is--" Cerise began, but gave up almost immediately. Something about the size of drakes, and Hesse, and then the red-haired girl's field turned almost cloyingly welcoming.

"Her name is Sish, Destroyer of Hours," Cerise began when Kuleda paused for breath, "And yes, I did." That Sish had been bred in Bastia and not Hesse seemed too dull a detail to bother with at this current juncture in time. It also only encouraged further conversation, which she didn't want either. What she wanted was for all of them to eat quietly and leave her--and Sish--alone so that Cerise could go back to her book.

Kuleda was friendly enough, even Cerise could admit that. Chattery, which was not her favorite quality in anyone, but she seemed genuinely friendly. The other one that seemed to only be here because she was, less so--she had not missed his touch to her arm. Circle preserve her, Hoxians had a reputation for being reserved--she deeply hoped that Vks was not an exception, and the pair of them proved to be the absolutely dreadful sort of people who felt the need to canoodle in public.

That friendliness did not stop Cerise from giving her a rather withering look as she adjusted her glasses and asked about her relation to Incumbent Vauquelin. Just how many Vauquelins did she really think were running about? Stranger still was the way Vks answered the question before she could, proclaiming the familial resemblance. It was there, true--Cerise had long since stopped attempting to deny it.

"How astute; yes, Incumbent Vauquelin is my father." A wave of renewed irritation went through her, the channels well-worn and familiar. As if she needed a reminder that the name and face both were inescapable threads that always came back to him in the end.

Her family tree was all terribly exciting, she was sure, but Cerise had no wish to discuss it. Or anything, and was about to say so when Vks spoke again. Cerise became all at once very, very still. She blinked once, and then again, slowly as if through a dream.

Her home. Over fall break.

Visiting her home, which she herself had not set foot in since her father's stroke. And these two, these complete strangers, had been there? With her father, who had not bothered to even so much as write a letter to her or her sister in all that time. How "unwell" was he? Well enough for work--and well enough for unorthodox company. Something cold and heavy settled in the bottom of her stomach and darkened the habitual sneer on her face until it was something more. Her field curled into a fist.

"Visiting," she repeated, her tone dangerously even. She looked first to welcoming, chattering Kuleda, and then to Vks who she got the distinct impression was not overly fond of her. Her father's wonderful influence or her reputation? Probably both. "And what, pray tell, were you doing in my house, with my father? A social call? Receiving guidance for a future career with the Vyrdag seems unlikely, looking like you do." The first sarcastic possibility was directed at Kuleda; the second firmly at Vks.

"And you," Cerise demanded, turning to look at Orthosophos, "I suppose you will tell me that you are--oh, I don't know, secretly engaged to be wed to my sister, hmm? And thus have also been in my house recently? After all, it seems everyone is welcome in the Vauquelin home who isn't a Vauquelin themselves."

Cerise was being somewhat unfair, and she knew it. It was just that she didn't care. The irritation at the unwelcome company and the needling about her face looking so much like her dear father's had bloomed into a cold fury. Sish, apparently dissatisfied with the current flow of food from Cerise to her waiting maw, chose this moment to clamber up her uniform and attempt to place herself on Cerise's shoulders so as to better make her displeasure known.

Tags:
Theodore Orthosophos
Topics: 3
Writer: theldor
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Vortas 28, 2719 - The Lunch Hour
Cafeteria
Wishing somebody not to die was a subtle way to bless him, specially when he was struggling to breathe. Even in the context of her motherly worry about her pet, it should have been easy for her to find less harsh words to express sympathy; on the other hand, it was not the first time Theodore had heard such cool words in this situation and he had ended thinking they had said them because they found them somehow funny. Not wanting to rush into conclusions, the young student opted for the last interpretation rather than dubbing her rude.

On the opposite side was the Destroyer of Ours, an ominous name that looked funny in such a cute creature... at a prudent distance. The incumbent's daughter seemed to love it as much as she loathed visits... or was she being protective with her father, too?

Orthosophos should have been expecting that, after having shot Lilanee and Ezre, Cerise would go for him; but the aggressive way she had accused him of being secretly engaged to be wed to her sister and, moreover, having visited her home without having been properly invited was a straightforward insult that made him stare at her with shrinking pupils and clenching fists. Even his mona reacted growing harder around her field...

"I greatly appreciate that you want me engaged with the kindest daughter of the incumbent", he replied, raising an eyebrow, "but I'm not currently looking for a romantic partner".

It was then that the echo of Cerise's words came to his mind: it seems everyone is welcome in the Vauquelin home who isn't a Vauquelin themselves.

And then he understood. She had not received the family love that she deserved, which obviously made her jealous of every person his father had paid attention to.

"Please excuse my manners", he apologized, sinking his eyes deep in the table, "I haven't got the right to judge you".

Lilanee Kuleda
Topics: 11
: Let's go on an adventure!!!
Writer: Raksha

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:42 pm

28th Vortas, 2719
CAFETERIA| LUNCHTIME
she is—what is the Estuan phrase? oh—a dead ringer, in my opinion.

The Hessean blinked.

They did not just—

Oh but they did.

She bit desperately into her sandwich, not at all aware of this relation. She had asked Tom about family, and all things too personal, there in the bathroom before they’d gotten lost in the grau. He’d said nothing about a daughte—oh. Oh, of course.

The Incumbents daughter.

Swallowing her bite, Lilanee nodded in agreement to Ezre’s commentary about how they knew the girls father, before being entirely distracted by the creature in the girls lap. She was aware of Theo, the food he inhaled successfully dislodged, not concerned though. If he’d been in danger there would have been blue lips and panic. Theoretically then it was technically maybe a bit late, but sometimes there was choking and there was ‘breathing food’.

“Destroyer of Hours?! That is unbelievably adorable, no doubt you spend a lot of time with her. Did you know tea-cup drakes are as smart, no let me rephrase, smarter than ostas and banderwolves? It’s just because they are technically a reptilian that people dismiss them as unthinking and uncaring.” Looking at Ezre, the russet brunette nodded again, before looking back at Cerise. She felt the irritation in her field, breezing over them with a sharpness that belayed more than just the annoyance that the Hessean knew often came from her inability to stop talking.

No this was more…personal.

"Visiting,"

Lilanee knew that tone of voice. That was the dangerous tone of voice, that in some circumstances, was accompanied by shrieking. She briefly wondered if the brunette girl would be that person.

“Yes well actually, the Incumbent was assisting with a study that we were completing for extra credit in History. He visited the school in Roalis to give us a guided tutelage, and it was such a fantastic experience that we continued our studies. Of course with Brunnholds permissions because it truly is just such an opportunity to work with such an important galdori.” The Hessean said, not entirely lying but bending the truth enough to be useful, not biting on the insult. She’d been insulted enough in her time by fellow students, and more recently by her companion beside her, that honestly the dig of the true Incumbent’s daughter was water off a whice’s back. There was however, a small mote of defiance at the dig to Ezre, a little flame that sizzled in her heart.

“The Symvoul won’t be in Anaxas much longer, so I doubt your father could give much guidance on a viable career in politics. Unless he had experience in Mugroba perhaps.” The russet brunette said delightfully, taking another bite of food and adjusting her glasses. Her eyes widened at the girls words to Theo.

“Oh a sister too?! How delightful. I had honestly no idea the Incumbent had children but then I may not have taken the time to observe any personal discussions of that level with him. I am sure Theodore doesn’t know your sister, nor has he entered the premises, lest this is one of the most bizarre coincidences to occur at a lunch table. Oh there you are! What a pretty girl!” Lilanee waffled, immediately drawn to the golden grump on Cerise’s shoulder. She felt the tension in the fields around the table, Theo’s frustration not at all unwarranted. The Vauquelin was very rude in the Anaxi scheme of things.

What was the original Incumbent like, if his daughter was so upset over visits to the home surely she would have grown up in? Perhaps the Incumbent was like her own mother, perhaps their relationship was strained. The Hessean felt a pang in her chest, not of sorrow for her mother, but over the lack there of. Maybe she empathized with Cerise if that was the case. Her polite smile faltered a moment, threatening to be dragged into the thoughts that simmered in her mind constantly. This all felt so hollow, why were they even here, in Brunnhold? Why must she wait whilst her father was in danger, hurt in Western Anaxas?

No, there were good reasons.

Inhaling deeply, she smiled again and ate more lunch.

Last edited by Lilanee Kuleda on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ezre Vks
Topics: 22
: better with the dead
Writer: Muse

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:10 pm

brunnhold's caffeteria
Lunch Time on the 28th of Vortas, 2719
It wasn't merely because the young Guide was a Hoxian that he had so little interest in politics, but it was often goaded as an excuse, everyone in Anaxas quite aware of the centuries his homeland had refused to participate in the Symvoulio until they'd finally chosen to return this cycle, which was waning anyway, soon to be passed over to Mugroba (turned into better hands, in his opinion). There was something about Cerise's tone that informed Ezre that she was more than just a little tired of the association, probably tired of everyone assuming she wanted to stand in the shadow of her father. Her once-father. Of the man she still thought was her father, even if he wasn't.

It was a strange inbetween that the Hexxos sat in, fully aware of the truth but not in a permissive position to share all he knew. Much like the weight of a corpse, of a body without the light of life inside, the burden of knowing was often heavy and awkward to handle, inflexible and cold.

It was obvious, also, that the dark-haired young woman and her miraan had never noticed they'd shared a few classes before, that his comfort with her name wasn't just because of his familiarity with the not-Incumbent she believed to still be Anatole. Just as obvious was her lack of surface concern over her reputation, although Ezre wondered if she wore her sharp edges like some kind of Anaxi imitation of rhakor, pushing others away instead of inviting balance and peace, the pointed ends outward in hopes of burying more expressive things inside where no one could see.

The Hoxian opened his mouth to answer her, to talk of politics instead of Clairvoyance, to bring up his class paper instead of talk about how he'd been dragged away—so very far away, all things considered—but Lilanee was already talking. The airy particles of mona in his field drew inward, dampened, and his otherwise comfortably deadpan expression on his delicate, tattooed face almost faltered into a frown. Almost.

Fantastic experience.

He set his fork down, inked fingers curling against the table.

Personal discussions.

His jaw clenched.

"I first met your father in Bethas here at Brunnhold. We have been in contact ever since over what you may go ahead and call anecdotal but strangely similar interests." If his dark gaze slithered sideways in the Hessean's direction with some hint of discomfort, it was swift and hopefully imperceptible before he looked back to Cerise,

"I have no aspirations for a political career nor do I find I have any goals to participate in the Anaxi concept of marriage." Heartfelt commitment was one thing in a relationship, but legally-binding contractual nonsense was another. He watched the miraan scramble up the young woman's uniform and imagined he could empathize with its impatience at this moment, if only because he was quite sure that was all he could feel in the unspoken weight of Lilanee's field pressed as it was against his own.

Ezre inhaled slowly, pausing while he sifted through all of the words that washed ashore in his mind, making choices that were far more difficult than he expected them to be in such uncomfortable company. He knew what he had to keep to himself, and yet—

"If it is because of your father that you are not welcome in your own house," The dark-haired other student met the grey gaze across from him, unafraid of the nick of a blade considering the scars on his palms from his own experiments, "might I suggest getting in touch? You may find yourself surprised."

Was this more cruel? Or less?

Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 pm

Brunnhold Student Cafeteria
Had she not been so irritated, Cerise might have smiled at Kuleda when she complimented Sish's intelligence, as well as her name. Properly, that is; she did manage at least a brief flickering of adoring pleasure around the edges of her frown. Cerise hadn't had Sish with her very long, but she was already very fond of the golden creature that was at the moment attempting to eat her uniform sleeve.

But then she learned they had been in her home, and what warmth had been there in her eyes cooled. Visiting the school in Roalis, had he been? Well, wasn't that sweet. Shaping the next generation of young minds, what a responsible and noble ambition. All praise the honorable Incumbent Vauquelin, to show such generosity with his expertise and guidance.

"No," she said, stabbing at her lunch with more violence than the carrot really warranted, "I suppose that's true enough." Her voice remained even, her fury held tightly in check. It coiled in her, tighter and tighter.

But it wasn't even Roalis, it had been Bethas. Cerise tried to remember when last she had heard from him, when last she and Eleanor had been home. She couldn't, the winding of her anger clouding her thoughts. Strangely similar interests--in what? Clocking Hessean opera? She didn't know, and she didn't care. Something passed between the two ninth year students that she couldn't quite make sense of. That, too, she didn't care about beyond it serving to aggravate her further.

The one who had sat first, Orthosophos, at least had some spine. Cerise would allow that much. She had insulted him, she had insulted all of them really, deliberately and with no particular finesse. Cerise couldn't have said what it was that made her lash out at him, as well. Because his sitting there had, somehow, drawn the other two over? Yes, she thought that might be it. How dare he--how dare any of them.

"So you have met my sister Eleanor then. Bizarre coincidence indeed then. Wonderful. Just," Cerise stabbed at her carrot again, "clocking," stab "--wonderful." The carrot, perhaps the most innocent of all in this little scene, was reduced to small, mushy pieces. She knew, of course, that Orthosophos had been trying to insult her. He retracted it, and she silently retracted her positive estimation of his spine.

Sish, at least, was undeterred by her poor mood. The miraan clambered up the front of her uniform, a flurry of noise and flaps of her golden feathered wings, to take her customary place on Cerise's shoulder. For a moment the dark-haired girl's attention was diverted from the leaden fury that twisted through her blood. She didn't smile this time, not even in her eyes, at either Sish or Kuleda. Instead, she leveled the knife-edge of her eyes at Vks, casually deciding to tell her about her own relationship with her father, apparently.

"Might I suggest learning to mind your own business? Or is it your right, do you think, to intrude in my life as well as my home?" Snow would not have melted in her mouth. Even Sish's excited chattering noises had stopped. The miraan settled, bright eyes fixed on Kuleda, with her claws sinking into Cerise's upper arm and her tail wound around her neck. She let her displeasure sweep, molten metal, through the gravity of her field.
Theodore Orthosophos
Topics: 3
Writer: theldor
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:21 pm

Cafeteria
Theodore opened his mouth unsure what to reply. He would have gladly continued Lilanee's conversation about the intelligence of tea-cup drakes compared to the one of ostas and banderwolves - surely there were interesting scientific studies behind that -, but the situation was to uneasy for him to dare to speak. He just nodded when she said she guessed he had never met her sister or been in the premises, which was true.

In other circumstances, he might have tried to deviate the conversation to another less-harmful topic, but right at that moment he did not find a way out; perhaps because he had just met all of them and did not know anybody deeply enough to do it.

So he hid himself in the sandwich he was eating, biting it to the full capacity of his mouth and sinking his eyes in his food while he munched with both cheeks inflated like balloons about to explode.

All in all, though, he could not help flinching when Ezre suggested Cerise to keep more in touch with her father. Her reply, sharp and grim, made Theodore stop chewing.

Afraid of the possibility that the daughter of the incumbent might bypass the formalities of dueling, the young student dragged his chair several inches back...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information