[Closed] Expecting the Worst

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu May 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Aveline's Bookstore Deventry
Evening on the 14th of Bethas, 2720
H
e snorted. “I haven’t had a spur in m – in months,” he said, stumbling, the laughter in his voice petering out. His field didn’t shift, but something like a tickle of uncertainty went through the mona. The last he’d smoked had been in the Soots, with Nkemi, trying to remember how it’d felt to smoke four packs a day with shaky hands worn rough from factory work. Cerise hadn’t been a name in his book, then.

Was it only tekaa that called them spurs? Now he thought of it, he’d never heard a golly name them so, but he’d assumed. He should’ve said smoke, he told himself.

More than anything, he wondered that Cerise didn’t like the smell of smoke. He’d’ve guessed she herself smoked, given all the other shit she got up to in those letters that drove Diana to climbing the curtains like the miraan. He’d heard it was a popular thing, anyway, among golly bochi.

It’d been an unusual experience, to say the least – getting lost and rounding an ivy-clad corner behind Long Hall, only to find a couple of green first forms wheezing out their lungs and then scattering at the sight of him like they’d seen a ghost. Or a proper-looking dagka, which was objectively worse. He’d been in meetings half the day, so he’d sat on the steps awhile, wistful in the smell; it wasn’t just tobacco.

He’d expected her to move out of range; as he stopped, she stopped, all the way at the other end of the shelf. He thought to put Blossom back, but he’d’ve had to step back.

Interesting, she said first, and he frowned down at the book. Then, he lifted an eyebrow. “A prism,” he repeated. What the hell was a prism? She went on, and he nodded, sucking a tooth. He’d been about to protest – maybe he’d misjudged her gruesome monsters – when she turned the question back on him, he clicked his teeth audibly. He looked up, peering over the books, but all he could see was her shoulder and a bushel of curls.

“The poetry?” He shut Blossom, turning it over. The answer had drifted over casual-like, but the honesty had caught him like the edge of a riff to the throat. “They were the first thing I read – after,” he began, and then stopped; the knife prickled in his skin, for all he held the hilt now.

It’s easier, he could’ve said bitterly, than trying to follow paragraphs and paragraphs of a novel when you’re looking up every third word in a dictionary. Not hard ones, either; easy, simple words, ones you ought to know but have never seen the shape of on paper.

He stepped, very slowly, to the end of the shelf; he paid attention to the movements of her field. He never let it pass out of range, but he was never too close. “I suppose they’re a lens, too, to look at what’s real,” he went on, “though I’ve never thought about it. But it’s more like the writer is speaking to you. No – like you’re reading some of what’s in their mind, or in their soul.”

He didn’t much like it, phrased that way. He turned it over in his head, trying to think of a better way of putting it. He liked the rhythm of the words on his tongue, for one, but that sounded even sillier.

He got to the end of the shelf. If he went any further, he thought he’d turn the corner and see her; he could see glimpses of her between shelf and book. Instead, he turned and leaned back against it, crossing his arms. Out the window at one side, a blue streetlamp glowed through the pounding rain.

“You like monsters?” he asked quietly, looking up at the ceiling.

Tags:
Cerise Vauquelin
Topics: 8
Race: Galdor
: Emotions Like a Balled Fist
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Thu May 28, 2020 9:03 pm

Aveline's Bookstore, Deventry
Bethas 14, 2720 - Evening
There had been a time when Cerise Vauquelin did smoke. It hadn't even been that long ago; she had quit sometime at the beginning of the last year. She has smoked a lot more, even, in the year she spent with Jax and Merrity and Emiel and the rest of them. It was, she had to admit, a very pleasant habit. Even more pleasant when they were all together, sprawled out on the floor of the apartment Jax and Emiel shared, Merrity looking sourly at them from next to an open window. Alioe but she'd hated it--hated the smell, hated the smoke, hated that they all did it anyway. But she just sat next to the open window and sighed, and they'd all did their best to angle away from her.

She had quit when even the smell was too much to bear, when every time she lit one up she thought of them all and some piece of her felt crushed. Now she didn't like to be around it at all. But she hadn't heard the word "spur" in a long time, and it tripped her up. Too caught up in thoughts of Yaris heat and laughing voices and faces she'd never see again. All of it spread out through her in an instant, and she stumbled.

Maybe, she thought, maybe he just thought that was what someone her age--the thought fizzled out, too foolish to finish. The word hung in her mind, adding to the list of things she simply didn't know how to deal with. Along with that snorting laugh, that she was starting to adjust to. Along with the light clairvoyant dasher of a field, still on the edge of her awareness.

Cerise flushed a little again, in a different way, when he repeated the word "prism" back to her. A sharp, pointy feeling came over her then. Like he was making fun of her, for being too romantic about what was just fiction after all. Not even popular fiction, not even fiction that they taught in school. Strange stories of monsters and far-away imagined countries, gods that were not the ones they knew. She wished again, desperately, she had not left Sish in her room. There was nothing to stop the hunch of her shoulders or the set of her jaw without the miraan around.

"The poetry," she affirmed. He started to answer and then stopped; she was not sorry she asked, for all that she thought it was too dear an answer. If it was an uncomfortable answer--good. He deserved it, for making her feel foolish for answering his question.

"Hmm." Some of what was in the writer's soul--she hadn't expected the answer. Maybe he hadn't been laughing at her, after all. Cerise was willing to at least pretend it was possible, for all that she knew it was more likely this was all some kind of joke. She could just see the top of his head on the other side of the shelf, red hair turning to grey. She frowned, trying to recall if it had seemed so before.

For a moment she thought he might turn the corner of the aisle, or that she would. Cerise braced herself, and she didn't quite know why. But he didn't come any closer, and neither did she. She could see him turn around, and she was both relieved and sad. Which didn't make any sense, so she was irritated too.

"I do," surprise clear in her voice again. "They're--" Cerise stopped, trying to think of a better word than "interesting". Every one she found sounded foolish; nobody had ever asked her this before, and she found she didn't have a ready explanation. Although he really hadn't asked why, had he?

"They're complicated. Terrible and--understandable, too. The good ones, anyway. Sometimes they're just horrible, but that's not as interesting. I mean there's all kinds, but--well, take Mircalla. Her love is destroying Daphne, right? But that's just her nature. She'll live forever, but she can't love anyone without hurting them, so in the end she's always alone And nobody ever bothers to--to try to find another way. They just decide--" Cerise broke off. Cleared her throat, ran a hand back through the riot of dark curls she hadn't even bothered to pin back today. She felt strangely exposed, even though all they were talking about was her taste in fiction.

"Did... Did Mama like--" The question stuck in her throat and died. She didn't know if she could handle it, if the answer was somewhere in the vast unknown of "a lot". Quietly she put the book in her hand back on the shelf, out of order, and rounded the corner. If she was embarrassed, she didn't let it show--her back was straight, her chin held high. A shield against mockery, if any were to come.
Tom Cooke

Fri May 29, 2020 1:30 pm

H
e couldn’t see her expression, and he found himself frightened to turn and look – frightened and tempted, as if he’d sneak a look over the tops of the books and get a glimpse of somebody else, somebody he hadn’t known was standing there. The casual air in her voice was gone; he couldn’t put his finger on what had replaced it.

Nor had he expected a serious response, for all he’d given one.

They just decide, Cerise said, and broke off. He found himself holding his breath. He’d stiffened against the shelf; chills washed through him, setting all the hairs at the back of his neck to prickling.

He hadn’t meant to read ahead, but old habits die hard. It was still hard to focus through paragraph after paragraph, and he’d been restless at the Golden Rose; he’d set to flipping through the pictures, like he always used to. He’d lingered on the second-to-last woodcut, traced with his fingertip a mountain path winding through a phasmonia and to a mausoleum – a gaggle of gentlemen in dark coats and hats tugged by the wind, etched out in slanting lines; the towhead lass in white, her hand on her heart. The last, he’d only given a glance: a withered corpse with a spread of dark hair, a thin hand over a beating heart.

Cerise cleared her throat. He bowed his head, looking down at his still-damp shoes against the shadowy carpet. He was grateful for the shelf. His eyes were burning; he saw a tear patter on the sleeve of his jacket, darkening the wool. He took a slow breath in and out, pushing down a sob.

There were a dozen things he could’ve said. I like it, he thought, when the monsters are simple. It’s easier that way. A dry drawl, maybe a laugh – it seemed cruel. He’d opened the door himself; he couldn’t shut it so quickly.

What other way? The thought of Kzecka – now, here – set his head to spinning. He tried to count the seconds of his inhale, of his exhale, and felt the fluttery jerk of a hitch anyway. There’s your other way. It’s just a book, he told himself. It’s just a flooding book and a boch who doesn’t know.

Mama. Cerise’s field shifted against his. He heard her step round the corner, saw her wild dark hair in the corner of his eye. Her voice had broken, but now her sharp chin was high and her shoulders were squared.

He wasn’t prepared. There was no time to come up with an answer – there was no answer to come up with. He looked up at her, blinking away a few tears, dumbfounded. He opened his mouth; for a moment, nothing came out. The clairvoyant mona were heavy around him, and the shade of blue wasn’t quite sadness and wasn’t quite shame.

“I don’t know,” was all he could say.

“Bertram,” came a raspy voice, “is that you I hear?”

A wince spasmed across his face. It should’ve been funny; he’d thought it’d give her a laugh, at least. He couldn’t bring himself to drag his eyes away from Cerise’s.

He cleared his throat, palming away the last of his tears, and half-turned. “Evening, Miss Berjeau,” he called. His voice was more even than he’d expected. “We’ll be out in a moment. I’ve brought my daughter, this time.” He searched Cerise’s eyes. I’m sorry, he mouthed, and then his lips twisted, bitter. He looked down.

“Lady’s grace, but that must be her cloak,” called the voice. “Take your time and browse; I’ll go put on tea.”

There was a shuffling from somewhere in the direction of the counter, and then a creak as of stairs. “I like them,” he muttered. “The complicated ones.” He took a deep breath, running his hand through his hair. He was still holding The Blossom in the Snow like a mung.
Cerise Vauquelin

Fri May 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Bethas 10, 2720 - Evening
Asking about Mama had been foolish. What had she expected to happen? That it would turn out last week she had been paranoid after all, and that "a lot" didn't include Mama? Maybe she was just a little hopeful, because he had talked about being her age. Cerise couldn't imagine remembering that and not her mother. He could forget his daughters, he could forget so many things, but she couldn't imagine he'd forget her.

They didn't talk about her, much. Cerise didn't ask, and her father didn't volunteer. For most of her life, Cerise was happier that way. Content to keep her mother as a soft well-worn memory of a voice and a face that faded a little more every year. But since the decline of her father's health, since she had been first furious and then worried and then furious again, caged up and not allowed to come home, she had begun to worry that eventually it would disappear entirely. They weren't close to her mother's family--Cerise couldn't quite recall when she'd last seen them. So even if she wanted to know, there was nobody else to ask.

And now it felt like there was nobody at all. Mama would blur and fade and then she would be gone, like a beloved story you heard as a child and can't remember the title of.

For a brief moment she regretted asking for his sake, too. Cerise didn't think she'd much seen him cry. Not since she was very small. Perhaps fathers simply didn't cry. She had no basis for comparison, really. But what she felt in his strange clairvoyant field was a weight that wasn't sadness, and she didn't know what it was. She looked down at him and a flare of resentment went through her, bright and hot. How dare it not be sadness. How dare you forget, when I can't remember for you. Her eyes hurt, but they were dry.

The raspy voice from somewhere within the store broke the spell that had stolen over her. Cerise blinked, and the resentment was gone. She looked down at her father, and he just looked smaller and older than she remembered. Her head hurt; just one more thing to add to the list of reasons why it was stupid of her to want anything from him at all. Cerise should be used to being disappointed by Anatole Vauquelin by now.

He brought his hand up to his face and she felt she should have looked away, oddly ashamed to see him do it. Her shoulders remained square and rigid and her jaw stayed set. Until he said "my daughter" without stumbling like he had at the park, and formed but gave no voice to an apology. He looked down, and her shoulders followed. Cerise drew a shuddering breath. She had not, she reminded herself, expected anything. And if she had, that was her own fault.

There was silence in the aisle, broken only by the rain. The creak of stairs told her Miss Berjeau had gone back up. Cerise blinked, then blinked again. The pressure on the back of her eyes didn't ease, but it felt more bearable all the same.

"Bertram?" she asked with a raise of an eyebrow. Her voice was steady enough to her own ears. There was only a slight roughness to it to give her away. "Did you also change your name since I saw you last? You really should write more." She resisted the urge to cross arms.

If there was anything else to say on the matter of monsters, she didn't know what it was. Cerise tilted her head slightly to see the title of the book her father still held. Her eyebrows raised again, and she looked up at him with a smile she hadn't expected.

"Are you branching out in your literary tastes, Father?" She couldn't think that he liked romances in particular. She didn't think he liked Mugrobi poetry, either, so she supposed anything was possible.
Tom Cooke

Fri May 29, 2020 11:49 pm

H
e caught the raise of her eyebrow in the corner of his eye. He shut his eyes and bowed his head, and he found a smile playing out across his face, in spite of everything. His breath felt tender, but he’d a good hold on it now; there was no hitching, and no shudder as he drew in a deep one, looking up from the carpet at his feet.

When he met Cerise’s pale grey eyes, both his brows were raised, something approaching a wry expression on his face. If you ignored the red-rimmed, scratchy eyes.

“I’ll be sure to keep you posted,” he said casual-like, shrugging his shoulders. He couldn’t quite help it; he broke out into a soft, fraying laugh, and swallowed another tight lump in his throat.

Her voice was rough, but it was even. He’d felt something go through the mona in her field when he’d said it, when he’d met her where she’d rounded the corner, but he couldn’t’ve named it.

He’d never much liked ramscotts. He’d only half got used to Anatole’s leylines, the way the mona tugged and scratched at one, those shifts that had more the soul of a color than the sight; but he spent most of his time among perceptivists – clairvoyantists, more and more, with the turning – quantitatives, with the occasional dasher thrown in. Cerise’s field was heavy and strong, and stepping into it for the first time had almost felt like taking a blow.

He’d thought it anger, at first, but it hadn’t been red-shift; it hadn’t had the coppery tang of blood, or even the sour, withering green of bitterness. It had been a deeper shade, a richer one, and he’d felt it in his bones.

Cerise tilted her head, a few tangly curls shifting over her shoulder. He’d braced himself for it, but when it came, he still laughed; she was smiling at him. It hit him in a wave, and he pushed down the prickling in his eyes once again. He grinned wryly down at the book. “Shit,” he muttered without thinking, then shrugged again. “I can branch out if I want to, Cerise. These are trying times. A man needs something to keep him going.”

His smile lingered, even though he felt suddenly sad. He raised his brows at her, then started back toward where he’d taken it off the shelf. He squinted, skimming the spines for the space he’d left, a furrow of a frown on his face.

“No, I didn’t – I don’t much like getting called incumbent wherever I go,” he said, once he’d found it and slid it back into place. He sighed, turning. “I thought you’d have a good laugh over it. Though I’d prefer it if you didn’t tell her, I can’t exactly stop you.” He raised his brows again.

There was more soft creaking from upstairs. He never wandered far from her caprise, but he began to move toward the end of the shelf, where the rainy light from the window blurred into the soft warm light of the oil lamps. He looked back, and he thought –

But there was nothing to say, he supposed. She’d asked, and he’d answered. He thought of saying something, of spinning more excuses – the thought soured him. Here’s why your father doesn’t remember a thing about your mother, lass; don’t worry, because he doesn’t remember you, either.

Instead, he smiled again, thinking of the way she’d raised an eyebrow and said Bertram, and then smiled at the romance novel. “What,” he said, “don’t you think it suits me?” He didn’t specify which.
Cerise Vauquelin

Sat May 30, 2020 1:03 am

Whatever had hold of her now, she pushed it down and resolved to ignore it. She wasn't afraid, she told herself, there was just no practical action to take here. At least he'd laughed, even if the laughter was a little unraveled at the edges.

"Trying times indeed." It wasn't what he said so much as the way he said it. The way he said her name then made something clench in her heart. It took her some time to place why; the last time he'd addressed her so directly had been last week, and he'd formed it like it was a foreign word from a book he'd not yet read. It didn't sound quite right now, but it didn't sound like the name of a stranger either. Again she blinked, and again she put the thought away.

She couldn't think that being named incumbent at all turns had bothered him before. At least, not that she'd ever seen. But if she'd learned anything this last week, it was that she didn't think she knew her father very well at all. Not now, certainly, and perhaps not before. It was hard to remember. A year was a long time, when you'd not yet lived twenty of them.

Cerise put a finger to her chin and hummed in thought. The upsetting part was that she did understand. Sometimes--more than sometimes--she didn't want to be Miss Vauquelin, the Incumbent's Daughter either. Not in the least because it felt like a mask she put on that had been made for a different face, and cracked under the pressure of being forced to adapt to the angles of her own. She couldn't begrudge him the desire, even if she didn't quite understand where it came from for him.

"I am sworn to secrecy," came her lofty promise, followed by a sharp grin and a tilt of her face. She looked down that pointed nose they both shared and the feeling in her eyes didn't match the jab of her mouth. "But you owe me. I haven't decided what yet. I'll tell you when I think of something." There wasn't a lot he could give her in two days, she thought but didn't say, and even less that she actually wanted. Not that he hadn't already failed to in nineteen years.

There was creaking from upstairs. Cerise looked up at the ceiling, and wondered what kind of person it was who called her father "Bertram". The man himself was shuffling along the aisle with his romance novel, putting away and then continuing to walk into the gentle light of the store. Still in range, always in range of this mingling of fields she thought had gone on too long to be called a caprise and was too shallow to be called much else. At this point she wasn't sure she could pull away if she wanted to; it had become a challenge.

"Bertram is a terrible name. Reminds me of some thick-spectacled bookworm who never sees the light of day. So no, it suits just fine." Cerise tried to keep from smiling, but it wormed out from the joke and onto her face anyway. She reserved judgement on the romance novel; it was not one she had read, after all.

The creaking had stopped, and she looked up to the ceiling briefly. "Should we go upstairs, or do we stay down here? I have--" she hesitated again, swallowed. "I want to give you Mircalla, before I forget." Or you do; that seems more likely.
Tom Cooke

Sat May 30, 2020 4:45 pm

H
He paused, his fingertips lingering on The Blossom’s spine. “I owe you,” he agreed, turning to her with his face a politician’s solemn frown. She looked down her pointed nose at him, and he looked up his own at her, and for a few moments, they peered at each others’ pale grey eyes. “I shall be waiting,” he added, with a crooked grin he couldn’t suppress, “until such time as you decide what I owe you.”

He eased back, thinking. It wasn’t a golly thing, far as he knew, or a tekaa thing, or a natt thing anywhere except Anaxas. He thought to tell her about it, but paused; he wasn’t sure how Anatole would know such a thing, and the thought of her knowing – the thought of laying that weight between them, even joking – gave him pause. He thought he already had, then shook off the feeling. It was just a joke.

A man had a swinherd’s debt when he didn’t know what he owed.

The story went that a swinherd from Hullwen had got himself indebted to Gill Bleddyn, the kov from all the old tales; Bleddyn was a man, but he’d a token from the Circle and could commit such mischief and wickedness to curl your toes, and couldn’t be killed. That was neither here nor there. The swinherd, after he’d got drunk and lost all of his pigs to Gill at the card table, had nothing left to pay, and Gill benevolently offered to let him go, on the condition that he could take his time deciding what the swinherd owed him.

He couldn’t remember the whole of it, but the poor lad ended by being fed to his own herd. The moral of the story was, he’d always reckoned, if you’ve got to have debts at all – and all humans are in debt, by the nature of Anaxas – you should make sure the terms are straight and clear, and make sure you’re keeping track of them.

Those in the service of Hawke knew well enough the weight of a swinherd’s debt. Story aside, the term had taken on what was almost a spiritual connotation; the debtor and the owed were tied together, and even if the owed didn’t want to claim the debt, the Evers might bottleneck them both into it.

Her voice tore him away from such thoughts, and he laughed again. This time, it wasn’t fraying or uncertain; it was genuine and deep, and he snorted and then sighed. “My spectacles aren’t that thick,” he shot back, “yet.”

The rain pattered the windows; there was more creaking upstairs, and a sound like cooing and jingling. There was a funny smile wriggling its way onto her face, as if against her will, and he found himself pushing down a grin.

It wasn’t that the sadness and discomfort had gone from the mingling mona; there were still prickles of blue-shift, prickles of strange red-shift, fluttering through. But the guilt was no longer sinking through him: it’d settled at the bottom of his stomach like a ball of lead.

“We should head upstairs,” he agreed, then paused. He watched the muscles in Cerise’s throat flicker. He glanced down, then back up. “Before we do,” he said more quietly, “please do. Thank you.”

The word Mama still hung in the air like the runoff from a spell. He took a step closer; his caprise flickered, reached a little deeper. The guilt sat quiet and heavy.
Cerise Vauquelin

Sat May 30, 2020 10:02 pm

There it was again, that strange laughter. Cerise thought she was starting to adjust to it, but it took her by surprise. No containing her smile then, no matter how much effort she put into the act. "Whatever you say, Bertram." But she laughed too, a jagged little chuckle. Not the fullness of her laughter on the street from before, but real. It was strange, but not unpleasant.

Cerise grasped at the bag at her side, bringing it around in front of her. The book was inside, feeling heavier than it had when she had put it there before leaving her room. Just a book, that's all it was. Small and leather-bound, with a ribbon bookmark sewn into the binding that had seen better days made of black silk. Cerise rustled through the bag and pulled out the waxed paper package. It had been wrapped with care but little skill, and there was haphazard pieces of tape across the whole of it.

He hadn't asked where she got it from, or when. Mama's, she had said in her letter. He'd said nothing about that either. Cerise clutched the book in her hand and forced herself to look without flinching at the idea that he hadn't asked because he neither remembered nor seemed, even, to care. What that guilt was for that she could feel when her father deepened their caprise... She didn't know that it was for this. For forgetting Mama entirely? The idea was heavy in her stomach. Maybe that was why she felt like she was handing Mama's book to a stranger.

The book was held out in the space between them. She didn't let go when he took it from her, not right away. She held there and she looked into her father's face. Searching features that were both familiar and strange. Cerise frowned, a reflex.

"I'm-- Just so you know, I'm only giving this to you because... because I trust you'll give it back to me." Her mouth twisted but she wouldn't look away, not now. They were bright. "I mean it. I... If you lose this, I'll never-- I know I said this about E-Emiel, too, that I wouldn't... But..." Her fingers tightened on the package. Her breath shuddered. Cerise drew her brows together and tightened her jaw.

"If I don't get this back intact, I will make you wish you really were Bertram." There was steel in her voice, betrayed only slightly by the wobble in her mouth. At last she let it go. "And don't forget to tell me what you think of it," she mumbled, quieter.
Last edited by Cerise Vauquelin on Sun May 31, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Cooke

Sun May 31, 2020 12:39 am

C
erise didn’t let go.

He wasn’t sure if being called Bertram hurt more or less than Father; maybe it was the irony of it, sharp enough to cut. They were both lies. Now, Cerise wasn’t smiling anymore, and she still held one side of the package with Mircalla in it. He held on, frowning slightly, though he didn’t pull.

He’d the sense she was studying his face. He’d the sense, again – creeping up and down his spine – she knew, somehow, or knew without knowing, or knew in some strange way that counted. The prickling at the back of his neck had become an itch; he wanted suddenly to yank it out of her hand, or else to let go and let her have it. He wanted the moment, and her scrutiny, to be over.

He knew better than that. She’d been watching him, sharp-eyed, all evening; her caprise pressed up against his, pushing back against the soft clairvoyant mona, told him as much.

He listened, and he didn’t let go. She stumbled over the name, Emiel, and it took a moment for him to parse; his eyes widened slightly. He studied her face, now: her lips a pale twist, a single dark line between her dark brows.

“All right,” he said, only when she was finished, only when she’d let go. He took it in both his hands, running them over the spine underneath the crackling paper. He nodded, glancing down, then back up at her face. “I won’t. And I promise I’ll be in touch,” he added, and paused. Upstairs, there was a muffled whistling.

Not a galdor’s name, he thought.

It wasn’t just that it was hard to picture, this lass yaching – getting yached by – who? It was the way she’d let it slip round him, like another test, like Mama – he felt oddly helpless, in this forest of names – and he felt as if he was letting her down again, and again, and again.

This time, there was nothing he could say; whatever the expression on his face was, he didn’t think it was anything like the expression Anatole’d have had. Should he have looked disapproving? He didn’t think he could, as good as he was at acting. It wasn’t, he thought, an unpleasant shiver threatening him, as if he didn’t have any experience with tekaa.

There was a creaking on the stairs, and the soft thump of feet. A woman emerged into the lamplight, with soft white hair pulled back into a bun and a round, faintly lined face. “There you are,” she said brightly. For all the rasp of her voice, she carried herself spryly; her caprise, when it came, was soft and perceptive, almost dasher.

“And –” Her eyes widened at Cerise behind her spectacles. “Aveline Berjeau, at your service,” she said, bowing deeply. “My goodness, Bertram, what a field. A talented young lady.”

He tucked Mircalla under his arm. “This is my daughter,” he said, unsettled by the ease with which it slipped his tongue. He nearly added Cerise, but then turned to her and raised an eyebrow. He reckoned he’d offer her the same courtesy she’d offered him, though he had a funny feeling she’d choose no name but hers. He wasn’t sure if that was enviable.
Cerise Vauquelin

Sun May 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Her father's eyes had widened when she'd stumbled over Emiel's name. Cerise thought and couldn't recall if she'd said it much in front of him. They had not, precisely, had conversations about the subject. At first it had been a secret, and then it had been an argument. Then it had been over. Never had it been much of a conversation; she now found she had no idea if her father had even known what his name was. The widening had been slight, and it sent a little ripple of annoyance through her anyway.

If he had ever known and had forgotten, she would make him remember. She couldn't make him remember Mama, because she had no memories to give. But she could make him remember her anger, and what she had lost. Whatever it was they were doing now, she would never let him forget that.

All right. Cerise had looked a moment longer, trying to find evidence of a lie or a trick there. As if she could see one there so easily; he had been a politician half her life, and who knew what else before that. For all that she was a liar's daughter, he'd still been at it longer than she had been trying to pick underneath them. It might just be that she would have to trust that the promise was real.

And if it wasn't, she would make him regret lying to her.

His face was strange. Cerise stood there in the aisle trying to figure out what his expression meant, same as she had tried to find the lie on it just a moment before. The blue light from outside filtered in through the rain, and soft yellow oil light filled in the rest. Cerise would have thought to find disapproval or anger, for the threat or the mention of Emiel or both together. He just looked a little bewildered and lost. Almost, Cerise wanted to take pity on him. Father is unwell. She resisted the temptation. If he was well enough for the nest of vipers he was a part of, he could handle some discomfort from his first born child. He owed her that.

Cerise tried to arrange her expression into something more normal when she heard someone--likely Miss Berjeau, she couldn't think of who else--coming down the stairs. She had almost managed when the woman did appear. Her caprise was so soft and polite, Cerise didn't know what to make of it. Too much of this game of chicken she'd been playing all evening with her father and his own rather dasher field.

A smile twitched on her face. Cerise wouldn't say that she was an egotistical person, if you asked, but there was nothing not to like about a stranger reacting so to her field. She was, after all, rather proud of it, and of the hard work that had gotten it to be what it was. The smile broke for true when her father turned to her with a raised eyebrow.

Should she come up with a new name, be someone else? "Cerise, Ms. Berjeau. Lovely to meet you. And thank you." In the end, the lie seemed too hard to maintain. Cerise had tried being other people, off and on. Maybe if she were better at it, her life would have been easier. In the end she was, and always would be, no more or less than herself: Cerise Vauquelin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information