[Closed] No Alarms, No Surprises (Solo)

Aurelie Steerpike turns 21

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Aurelie Steerpike
Topics: 25
Race: Passive
: Deeply Awkward Mom Friend
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O' Rushes
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:08 pm

Loshis 15, 2720 - Morning | Brunnhold University
On the morning of her twenty-first birthday, Aurelie woke and it was the same as any other day. The same as every day previous, really, for the last eleven years. Earlier, perhaps, than usual. But that too wasn’t that strange; Aurelie often woke before dawn, knowing that there was work waiting for her in the kitchens that needed doing before anyone else could begin on their own.

Her feet touched the floor, cold still, and she shivered in the thinness of her nightgown. As always, she paused, waiting to see if her roommates would stir. They never did. Aurelie rose and crossed the room. There was a basin with a mirror above it, small and blurred, with tepid water she would refill. A small thing she did for all three of them, and always had. There was a gas lamp on the wall nearby, which she turned on.

In the flickering yellow light, Aurelie examined her dim reflection. Twenty-one. Rough hands came to touch a freckled cheek. Less full, she thought, then they had been. She had, perhaps, lost some weight. It was hard to tell. Nothing fit her to begin with, not really. Aurelie frowned, watching the pull of muscles. Then she smiled, and she couldn’t hold it for long. Bared her teeth, running her tongue over the top set. Straight, but not remarkably so. Lucky in her genetics, at least in this. An unremarkable nose, freckles that had paled over the winter but never left, a pointed chin. All features familiar and average. After a moment more, she turned away, unsure of what she had been looking for.

Later, Ana had promised to visit. To spend time with Aurelie, because it was her birthday. That was something she turned over, around and around, inside of her head. Aurelie would never have asked; after all these years, spending her birthday alone was almost a ritual. She couldn’t remember the last time she had spent it otherwise. Even before she knew what she was, Ana had been in school and her parents… Her hand came to touch the locket at her throat.

That was later; now, there was work. Always, there was work. Some she cherished and much she did not, but all of it kept her busy. Aurelie let it fill her muscles and her mind. Twenty-one. Eleven years; longer here, now, than outside. Certainly more of it that she could remember. Something caught in her heart and it twisted.

She shouldn’t have put that in her letter to Aremu; she regretted it the moment she had handed the envelope over. No, before--the moment she had set it to paper. To rewrite the whole thing, to begin again, felt dishonest. Aurelie remembered the way her friend had spoken of lying and she couldn’t bear to do it. But the anxiety remained, and it gnawed at her.

Still, she smiled. She laughed when one of the scullery girls told a joke, though it wasn’t funny--she just knew how it felt to joke and have nobody laugh. The girl was only twelve, though tall for her age. Taller than Aurelie, which was not much of an accomplishment. Aurelie looked at her bright, eager face, still so soft with childhood, and something in her ached.

She had finished cooking for the lunch service when Ana came. For a moment all activity in the kitchen halted, a strange kind of quiet settling over the normally-loud room. All eyes were fixed there at the fine figure in the doorway. Her sister, her Ana, beautiful and resplendent. She issued a brisk command to an older woman, easily ten years or more her sister’s senior, and the woman obeyed her without a second thought. That ached, too. Aurelie moved to her sister’s side before the other passive had reached her, knowing what Ana wanted.

”Ana! I was just finishing the lunch service, I--oof!” Aurelie found herself swept up in a hug, shocking in its ferocity. Ana smelled of candied violets; Aurelie had always loved candied violets. Aurelie closed her eyes and thought of a place that had been home and never would be again. Of ornamental ponds and ivy. Echoing empty halls, filled mostly with the soft sounds of servants and the quiet footsteps of one little girl. The picture was dim and distant. It grew more so every year. One day, she knew, it would leave her forever. And then there would be only Brunnhold.

“Happy birthday, Birdie,” Ana’s voice whispered in her ear, sweet and fierce. Aurelie’s breath caught in her chest. But no, it was just the strength of her sister’s grip. Ana released her and Aurelie found a gentle smile easily enough. She looked at Ana’s beautiful face, she felt her diamond-bright field, and that ached too. Aurelie didn’t quite know why. Soft fingers touched her hair and cheek in a brief and gentle caress. There were, Aurelie thought, signs of strain around Ana’s golden eyes that had not been there before.

They moved from the kitchen, Aurelie doing her best to wipe her hands and removing her pinafore. She couldn’t help but feel a small and grubby thing next to her sister, under the weight of all that Perceptive brightness. Even though she knew, now, that she was not empty--but the quiet of what surrounded her was drowned out, and Aurelie with it. And maybe that’s what she wanted, after all. To be lost. To know her sister’s love, and to be swept clean by it.

Tags:
caporushes
Topics: 9
Race: Writer
: Three Cats in a Trenchcoat
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:46 pm

15th of Loshis, 2720 - Midday
Brunnhold University
Ana sat in the study in her rented Muffey house, surrounded by paperwork, and for the first time she started to consider that this task might be beyond her. She tried and she threatened and she bribed and still the way was not clear to her. When she looked at the calendar on the wall, she realized her parents had been dead a year.

A year, and she had nothing to show for it. Not even a plan. Certainly not her sister, her Birdie, her Aurelie, safely ensconced at Briarwood Hall.

A weaker woman might have cried. Ana couldn't remember the last time she had shed tears she meant, except for twice: the first time she had left Aurelie behind, eleven years ago, and the second time just last Hamis. Crocodile tears, performances, shows for other people; those she had cried in plenty, over the years. But real tears, real sorrow and frustration? No. Steerpike women didn't cry. They were of sterner stuff than this.

Her study was filled with papers, and Ana with determination. She would persevere. She would triumph. Her family would be whole again, like it had always been meant to be. It had to be. Or what was all this for?

No matter, and no more of this. Today was special, and Ana had no time to waste. Her sister's twenty-first birthday, the first she would get to celebrate with her since... Since before, even, her gating. Ana had never been allowed to come home just for one baby sister's birthday in the middle of the school year. They had, of course, celebrated on the ten after--but it just wasn't the same.

So much lost time; Ana would make up for every moment.

Ana swept herself into her carriage, bound for that red fortress and all those blue uniforms within. Just one little slip of a girl. She brought no one else with her, not even her maid. Though she had no such intentions, as the carriage rattled forward, Ana drifted into sleep. Her dreams were disjointed and strange; in them she thought she heard the sound of weeping, and she didn't know whose it was. It might, she thought, have been her own. Sometimes, it was a little girl; sometimes her parents, for all the days after that one winter.

"We're here miss," Ana jolted awake at the soft voice of the coachman. A good man, Grimsley. She smiled at him and he smiled back, holding out his hand to assist her descent. She slipped her neat, gloved hand into his large human one exited the carriage. The rest of the way she would walk; he could take her no further than this.

Once, she might have wandered lost and looking for where Aurelie might be found. No longer--she moved unerringly, on steps measured and exact. The mist of rain clung to her hair and the silk of her dress, a vivid gold to match her eyes. Aurelie, Ana thought, should wear the dress that they had bought together--not now, but soon. Soon. She brushed by crowds of green-uniformed children; everywhere, out of the corners of her eyes, she saw them. Shadows in blue. But only one mattered. Ana found it, the kitchen she knew her sister worked in. When she arrived, the lunch service was just ending; the whole place was a hive of activity.

"I am looking for Aurelie," Ana said, stopping the first passive she saw--a woman older than herself, with dark hair going to grey and blue eyes. She looked, Ana thought uncomfortably, rather like an old school friend. A relation, perhaps. Or coincidence. "Please fetch her for me."

The woman nodded, confused. For a moment Ana wondered if she even truly understood. Then she wound her way through the kitchen. Ana lifted her eyes and she saw her sister, small and pale, moving unerringly towards her even before the woman had completed her task. Her heart eased. When Aurelie approached, she couldn't seem to stop herself from pulling her sister close and tight, clasping the dear girl to her breast. Aurelie smelled of flour and soap and charcoal. Her sister, hear heart, her home. Soon, soon, soon.

When they left the kitchen, Ana began to speak. And, too, she reached out and folded her sister in the glitter warmth of her field. No caprise to return, of course, but she thought--she might be comforted by it, all the same. Like she was a small child, before she had even an eddle about her. The Perceptive mona in her field brushed against her sister and Ana felt at peace.

They wound through the red halls and out across the grounds, speaking of nothing and everything. They were going, of course, to the guest room Ana had reserved for just this moment. Somewhere private and safe, where they could speak. Once or twice, Aurelie asked a strange question--about foreign flowers, about what it was like in Florne. Ana put these questions gently out of her sister's mind; it would do her no good, Ana felt, to answer them. Better not to answer, if doing so could hurt her.

Ana pushed open the door to the little room, and let her sister inside. Aurelie had removed her pinafore, as she had all those months ago. Ana sat on the bed, and gestured to her sister to sit beside her. One again she clasped her sister's hands, small and calloused. But warm, always warm. And dear to her, too. Ana squeezed them in her own soft, white hands with their well-kept nails. She smiled.

"Twenty-one," she murmured, smoothing down her hair. "And only yesterday, it seems, you were a small child, clinging to me and weeping when I went back to school." Her eyes were bright; Ana was surprised to find herself blinking back tears. Aurelie leaned into her shoulder, quiet. The look on her face was thoughtful, far away. Then, without warning, it collapsed into tears.

"Birdie!" Ana's heart wrenched. "Whatever is the matter, dearest?" Aurelie shook her head, sniffing and scrubbing at her eyes.

"Oh, Ana... I-- you-- I've been here so long, and I--" She dissolved, then, into incoherent weeping. For some time Ana soothed her, waiting for the girl to control herself, to continue.

"Tell me, darling--let me help you." But Aurelie shook her bright-haired head. As if this were a problem Ana couldn't solve--as if, Ana thought, such a thing existed.

"I'm so afraid," she sobbed, coming to collapse in the gold silk of Ana's dress. Her tears would ruin them; Ana didn't mind. "Don't you see? One day, everything outside will be gone--And I--And you... there will be nothing b-but this and... I want to go home," she wailed, desperate. Ana's heart lurched, and then it settled.

She didn't care, anymore, what was legal. For paper trails, for inheritance laws, for custody documents. All Ana cared about, all she had ever cared about, was this--the thin shoulders of her sister, thinner than they had been before, heaving with the force of her crying.

"We are leaving," she said with firmness. "Right now."
Aurelie Steerpike
Topics: 25
Race: Passive
: Deeply Awkward Mom Friend
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O' Rushes

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Loshis 15, 2720 - Midday | Brunnhold University

Dear Aremu,
"What are you saying...? We--I can't leave." Aurelie's tears had stuttered to a halt. There was nothing left to wring them out of her. Driven from her eyes and mind by a fearful pounding of her heart. She sat up, and drew back. Ana's face, her beautiful face, blazed with a kind of madness she had seen and didn't recognize there before.

"I don't care," Ana declared, coming to her feet but clasping, still, Aurelie's hands. "I have been patient, Birdie, trying to do things the right way. The right way hasn't worked. Who will stop us?" Determination. Unwavering, iron will. Her field shuddered with it. Aurelie swallowed. She withdrew her hands.

They hadn't had this conversation, she thought as if from far outside herself, in a long time. It had to come again, someday. Why not today? Aurelie shook her head; it pounded. The sight of Ana standing before her blurred and twisted. The tears found her again after all.

"I can't come with you--Ana, please. I can't--I don't want to have this conversation again. Please understand. Please." Aurelie blinked and she begged; would her sister hear? She couldn't see her, couldn't see the shifting of her face. Her beautiful face, their mother's face, their grandmother's face. A Steerpike face; Ana always had been the better daughter.

I'm sorry.

"...Why won't you listen to me? You never listen to me, I don't understand why--"

"--willful and obstinate, a Steerpike for sure, but Birdie--"

"Don't talk to me that way, you're always doing that, always acting like you know--"

"Because I do know, more than you do--"

You said that if I needed help, I could write to you.

Fragments of an argument, pieces of a conversation. She was angry, so angry. It burned her up and hollowed her out. Eleven years of it--no, twenty-one. A lifetime of anger, stoppered up and shoved down and moved out of the way. Move on, move on, move on. It doesn't matter, Aurelie. Don't be ridiculous, Aurelie. Do as you are told, Aurelie. Be a good girl, Aurelie.

Everyone knows better than you, Aurelie.

She was tired. She was afraid. She split and she fractured, a thread unraveled.

Ana's chest heaved, and Aurelie's too. How long had they been shouting? She had lost track of everything she had said. Truth or lie, it all blurred together. She ached and she ached and she ached. Ana drew herself upright, straight-backed, collected at once. The vision of some iron goddess, betrayed only by her hair knocked askew. Remote and cold, the face of the moon.

I think I need it now.

"It's that boy, isn't it. Fionn, wasn't it? What has he told you?" She had seen this face in a dream, Aurelie realized. The phosphor light gleamed in her sister's eyes. Aurelie felt her heart drop. Her pulse slowed. How?

She hadn't been careful enough.

Couldn't she trust her own sister?

"No," Aurelie sobbed, shook her head. It was true, and it was a lie too. They were twisted up together, and Aurelie couldn't find which was which. Ana's jaw tightened. She crossed the few steps that had opened up between them--when? how? who had put them--and she grabbed Aurelie's thin wrist.

The bracelet. It had been that after all.

Stupid Aurelie. Foolish, selfish girl. See what you've done.

"What lie has he poisoned you with, that you won't come with me?" Aurelie swallowed. The grip on her hand tightened.

"Nothing. He hasn't said anything to me. This isn't about that, Ana, it's--"

"Did he claim to love you?" Her voice was a blow; Aurelie grit her teeth. She'd been dealt them before, hadn't she? They all had.

That was the problem.

"That's not it, why won't you--? I just... I can't... What you want to give me isn't what I want!" Now it was Ana who looked like she had been struck. The hand at her wrist didn't loosen, but Ana went pale and still.

There it was. The truth of it. She wanted something beyond this walls, for the first time--and Ana couldn't give it to her. Because what Aurelie wanted, more than anything else, more than her sister's love, more than anyone's love? She wanted to make her own choices. She wanted to know what she wanted, to see and to know and to become. And Ana couldn't give that to her. Nobody could give that to her. That had been decided long, long ago.

"Do not lie to me!"

And in her voice, in her grip, Aurelie felt the stirring of the mona as her sister began to cast. On her. Against her.

To do what?

Ana stopped, choked herself off before the spell had finished, loosened her grip. Dizziness, then, sickness. Aurelie didn't stop, she didn't wait. That thin wrist pulled out of Ana's manicured grip. Aurelie pitched herself towards the door. She cast no look over her shoulder. Brail or backlash or--she didn't know. She didn't care. Aurelie ran and she ran and she ran, through servant's corridors and back paths. Until her legs gave out from under her, somewhere in some secluded area of the lawn. She was sick. She cried. When there was nothing left inside of her, she wiped her face and she stood, numb.

Aurelie was, she realized, afraid of her sister.

Aurelie couldn't leave with her. And still, she couldn't stay. Her hands bunched in the fabric of her skirt. She had, she thought, one option. Maybe it wouldn't help at all. But it was all she could think of to try.

Your friend,
Aurelie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information