[Closed] A Window On Earth

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Aurelie Steerpike
Topics: 25
Race: Passive
: Deeply Awkward Mom Friend
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes & Thread Tracker
Writer: Cap O' Rushes
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:44 am

Dentis 13, 2719 - Morning | Sophronios' Office, Brunnhold
Bells and chimes. Her eyes were dry, she knew they were. They had to be, because if she cried from so simple a question... Well, she really didn't know what she would do, or how she would recover. She was just emotional, she told herself firmly. It was all the stress lately—the letter from Fionn, hearing about Uzoji, meeting Aremu. Those hadn't all been bad things, of course. She had been glad to meet Aremu, even if she thought she'd never hear from him again, and she'd been happy to hear from Fionn if not... Well. He thought of her, at least. She told herself that was worth something.

They must not have been dry enough, however. Yazad had put his gloves back on, and his body tensed in a way she thought was oddly familiar. It only got more so when he spoke, his expression shifting to concern, a hand hovering in the air. She'd worn that face often enough. It made her laugh, a soft, broken sort of sound.

She was being ridiculous, and making him worry over nothing. She shook her head, firmly, and she smiled, much less so. "N-no, it's not that. It's quite all right. I'm just, ah—it's a sensitive time." That wasn't true, and she wasn't quite sure he would know what she meant. Not if he lived with Mr. Logarchon and no one else. Still, if he did, it was as good an explanation as any for her odd behavior.

"A cafe," she said after a moment, her voice steady, "Or a bakery, perhaps. Something like that. That's what I would—make. If I could." She could not bring herself to take his hand, or to admit out loud that she wanted just what he'd said, too. The cafe was an absurd dream, too. But it didn't hurt her to grasp at it, and was more fun to talk about besides.

It was also true; she thought of the cafe often. It was a sort of daydream; she filled it with all sorts of things. The menu could get quite outlandish, if she let it. And the decor—she thought of that, too. Changing with the seasons. She would want it to be elegant, but simple. The sort of place one could bring—a family, she supposed. An indulgence, but a frequent enough one. In her fantasy, of course, Aurelie could flatter herself and her ability as much as she liked. Reality need not intrude.

Her tea was cold; she set it back down on the table. There were a few other thing on the tray still; she couldn't yet bring herself to have any of them. "But it's a silly little fantasy, I suppose. Even if I weren't—if it was... It wouldn't be safe," she said, and then frowned. She hadn't meant to say that. Ticks, she wasn't making a terribly good impression at all.

Tags:
Yazad
Topics: 4
Character Sheet: Yazad Character Sheet
Writer: Bahamutia

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:35 am

Sophronios’ Office
Dentis 13, 2719 - Morning
T he reason behind Aurelie’s cracked laugh was unknown to Yazad, and he found himself torn between being glad for it and feeling confused about it. His body remained taut with apprehension, but his furrowed eyebrows eased gradually, arching up in a display of bafflement instead. The situation brought back a day, many years ago, where Sophronios hissed irritably about the unpredictability of women throughout their carriage ride back from the Agathangelou Ballroom. The passive could neither confirm nor deny that claim, as it would require him to actually know a woman beyond simply her name.

His instinctive fretting abated considerably. Aurelie was smiling a little, shaking her head to his worries. This was good; better than tears and stricken expressions. Slowly, the man’s body lowered back to sit on the plush sofa, his hand retracting to lay on his lap. Perhaps, Yazad reasoned, she had more burdening her than she let on. How would he ever know the struggles and stress involved in kitchen work at Brunnhold? "Ah, that." Realization began to spread across Yazad’s face, the man nodding his head in sagely understanding. So it was that after all. "Pardon me, I do not always remember what day it is in the month. Here is hoping that your moon cycle will be quick to pass." The passive’s rose-colored lips split into a gentle, reassuring smile. He knew about the moon cycle, of course. Yazad remembers the time he -ever a curious child- asked his mother why she looked rather sickly every month. It had been about a year before his departure from the manor. Lulua Logarchon, beloved mother and playful woman, had told her child that the bodies of ladies often reacted to the cycle of the moon in the sky, but nothing more.

It was a relief to know that Aurelie’s sensitivity was not about her feeling hurt by his question, but this puts him -again- in the unpleasant position of not knowing what to do about it.

"A cafe!" Yazad’s exclamation was as amazed as it was soft. The subject of moon cycles and feminine woes was hardly relevant anymore when there was talk about cafes and bakeries to be had. It made sense for someone who enjoyed baking but was made to work at a public kitchen to want her own space, her own corner of free creation. He was fortunate enough to have a kitchen all to himself, but even that still did not compare to an establishment that is fully decorated and made with customers in mind.

It was nice; to fly on the wings of waking fantasies to places beyond reality, where impossibilities did not exist and everything was readily possible. A cafe, a bakery. That did sound beautiful. Dreamlike, even. "Oh, goodness. I would be delighted to visit it. Ah, and the uniform. I can see you shining in light yellow, or perhaps pale lavender if you are going after a general motif that is more chic than cozy. You have such vibrant hair and eyes, so you would want to wear something with less brightness to it so as to not overwhelm your natural features." The way Yazad spoke, passionately listing possible colors to dress the woman up in, one would think that Aurelie’s dreamt-up cafe was a reality waiting to happen. Yes, he could see her -in his mind’s eye- looking rather adorable in either.

"Hm? Why ever not? I was not aware that the business of cafes and bakeries was that dangerous." His head tilted slightly, curiously. Besides them, on the table, the contents of the trey were largely forgotten by the man whose mind was busy thinking up colors and outfits that would flatter the woman before him.

Aurelie Steerpike

Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Aurelie’s eyebrows rose; that wasn’t quite what she had expected him to say. It’s not the same day of the month for everyone, she very nearly said with what would have been amusement in her voice. That was entirely inappropriate information to share; Aurelie wasn’t even sure what her face had done when Yazad mentioned “moon cycles” and wished for it to pass quickly.

”Ah, t-thank you?” That it was a lie made her feel guilty, but it was a better explanation than the truth. She would bear it; it was easy enough. A little thing. In the grand scheme of everything, it was hardly anything at all. The slide into a different answer and a more valuable topic was easier.

Yazad sounded so amazed when she confessed to her dream of a little cafe. Aurelie blushed; it was a silly dream, after all. She knew that! No part of her thought it was anything that could ever be real. It was just a nice way to fill her mind when she had nothing else to fill it with. Comforting, no matter how absurd it was. It must seem even sillier to someone who didn’t have to share a kitchen with the staff of an entire university.

She almost apologized for having brought it up when Yazad launched into speculation about uniforms. She hadn’t thought about that, really; Aurelie had put many idle hours into thinking of the cafe itself, the menu and the table decor, that sort of thing. The one thing she had barely considered at all was herself in it. And he was so passionate, too! Aurelie didn’t know quite what to do with it. She had never really considered the colors that would flatter her. There wasn’t much to flatter, she thought sourly, and more importantly it was something of a wasted effort. There was only one color she would ever wear, and she was wearing it now.

No, it was best not to think too far down that path. She felt silly for bringing it up at all, and apologized at last. That earned her another question, and Yazad in turn another confused pause. Aurelie blinked, then frowned in confusion. Yazad’s head tilted. She knew she looked just as confused. Surely he knew…?

”N-no, not… The cafe isn’t the dangerous part, it would be… Well, I suppose I don’t know if I…” Aurelie’s voice faded to a hesitant nothingness. ”I don’t know, ah, what I’m, er. C-capable of, so to speak.” Maybe Yazad did know his own diablerie, and it was harmless. Aurelie didn’t, and couldn’t be so confident. She couldn’t forget last year, not even for a moment. As if she hadn’t known already, as if she hadn’t been afraid enough of herself, of what she could— No, it wasn’t the cafe that was the danger, even if it were real. It was her in it.
Yazad

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:58 am

Sophronios’ Office
T he cafe was not Yazad’s own fantastical, impossible dream--but he still found himself invested in the idea. Oh, the potential of it all. What kind of decor would Aurelie go for, he wondered. Something cozy and earthy? Or maybe an interior design that emphasizes bold patterns and rich colors? She could have a menu with seasonal dishes, a specialty item to set her apart from the other cafes, a little bit of music to add to the mood. In his mind, the cafe was already standing there, at a posh location, bearing an elegant sign and a name that was uniquely Aurelie’s.

His fantasies were short-lived, as the woman’s voice came in to pluck him out of the imaginary cafe with an explanation of her earlier comment. "Capable of?" What was this self-doubt all of a sudden? It took the passive a few seconds to register the other meaning of what she had said. What she is capable of, what they, as passives, are capable of. "Ah, you mean the--" The what? Yazad paused thoughtfully for a moment. What can he even call that besides the excuse to justify their exclusion from society? He understood the risk, he really did, but what were the odds of such a risk -a probability- to actually manifest into a reality? Judging by the fact that he had lived for almost two decades without any magical outbursts, and had witnessed no such dangers in a building that is seemingly full of passives--

"Have you ever seen it happen?" Yazad asked, intrigued. The curiosity displayed on his face was not unlike that of a child asking to be told an entertaining tale. Aurelie lives with many others that are like her, and like him. "I have never felt so strongly against someone enough to wish them harm, it is difficult to imagine that this kind of...capabilities...is easily induced." This might not even be how it works, but he assumed that there has to be a reason for a passive to go from magic-less to a magical threat.

It occurred to Yazad then that he was, unlike Aurelie, quite selfish. He had lived with Sophronios for years, knowing what his kind is like, never once considering that he might be a source of potential harm to the man.

Aurelie Steerpike

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:44 pm

It was when Yazad's expression shifted from confusion to curiosity that Aurelie realized she had never had this conversation with—well, she'd talked around it before. Just the other day, in fact, she thought with a strange lurch of her heart. And other times, with other people; it was not, it had to be admitted, a favorite topic among most of her peers. Not one of those circular, careful conversations had ever been quite like this: open curiosity, in a quiet office she shouldn't be in, with a cooling teacup nearby.

"Ah," was all she could manage at first.

Had she ever seen it happen?

No, she could have said. Not mine. I don't know what is I will do, if that time ever comes. It could be nothing—there were so many that were nothing. But it could be something. No, she could have said—I wasn't there that day. But we all heard. We all knew, eventually. She could have seen it, easily. Had she not been elsewhere— Just a little change in the timing, the rhythm of her day, and she would have. She didn't need to have borne witness herself. She knew enough.

Aurelie's fingers balled up in faded blue of her skirt, bunching the fabric up tight. Her shoulders were straight—unmoving, erect. What tension had eased from her spine returned, though her face was as neutral as she could make it. He didn't know, she reminded herself; he wasn't from here. Like her, and unlike. Aurelie shook her head, a little frown creeping in and spoiling the neutrality of her features.

"No," she said carefully. "Not—directly. But there was... Last winter, a... I didn't know him, of course, not really, but..." Lady give her grace, she just didn't know how to discuss this. Not with Yazad, not with anyone outside of her small world. The kitchen staff—oh there'd been plenty of talk, then. It hadn't, she realized even been a year yet. Almost. Coming up on it in a few months' time. Aurelie looked to the clock on the wall, watching the seconds tick. Around and around. Measuring out the hours and days.

"It was fatal," she said at last, quiet. "For—a student, and for..." Aurelie shrugged, and then slid her eyes back away from the clock.

"I don't think it's like that," she went on, because she couldn't stop herself. Her hands couldn't seem to relax, no matter how much she willed them to. Tick tick tick. Had it been frightening? Had it been sudden, or slow? Aurelie blinked. "It isn't your will that... that moves through you. As I understand it, and I can't pretend that I... It just happens," she finished lamely, embarrassed to have begun at all.
Yazad

Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 am

Sophronios’ Office
I t could be simply Yazad’s imagination; an illusion that he convinced himself of, but the passive could swear that he was getting familiar with how Aurelie is. During the span of their time in Sophronios’ office, the woman had smiled awkwardly, laughed brightly, froze in fear, and wept for no understandable reason. Many emotions coming and going, many faces cycling through different expressions. It was as much a fascinating notion as the subject at hand, which seemed to make Aurelie wear yet another expression--or the lack thereof.

Yazad found it less concerning when Aurelie was openly crying.

His moments of respectful waiting were spent taking in the nuances of Aurelie’s body. Yazad tended to do that often when presented with the rare happening of having a person around for more than a few moments. It was rather impudent to stare at a lady--he knew that. But Yazad was not staring, no. He was observing. Pale green eyes trailed down from the set-jawed face to the tense posture, all the way down to the hands gripping at the fabric of the other’s uniform as though she was holding on to a lifeline. All very telling signs despite Aurelie’s momentary silence.

And then, she began to talk again. The vague words, not quite connected in flow but certainly understandable enough, nearly seemed heavier in weight than anything else Aurelie had said so far. "Ah." What was he to say about it other than that? Last winter, she had said. A memory not very fresh but far from being forgotten yet, if her reaction was anything to go by. Someone, unknown to him but whom Aurelie had known to some degree, had...done what, exactly? Seeing how she was all too careful with her answer, Yazad stopped himself from wanting to ask for the details. Just when he thought that this is all that he would be told, his guest spoke again.

It was fatal.

The passive who did not even realize that he was slightly leaning forward in anticipation slowly sat up straight, hand covering his partially open mouth. It was one thing to hear “Don’t go off in my shop, yea?” uttered jokingly by old grocer Alberto back in Florne, and another to be told that someone had caused themselves and another to lose their lives. A student, young and still aspiring to have a future, too. The knotting of his brows came with tens of other questions springing up to life inside his head. Questions that he knew he could not -and should not- ask Aurelie. How did that happen? What was the cause of it? In a place full of passives of all ages, backgrounds, and personalities...why this one? "I am terribly sorry, Aurelie." Yazad found himself muttering, half thinking that the woman would have another bout of tears thanks to his curiosity.

He could hear her talking again, making a comment about what he had said. Aurelie’s words were clear enough, he could hear them just fine. But they were not fully processed, for his mind was flying elsewhere. Yazad’s eyes, instinctively, moved to look at the empty chair behind the desk, where Sophronios would be sitting had he been less occupied with peas. A foreign feeling; heavy and unpleasant, planted its seed at the pit of his stomach. Was this doubt, or was it apprehension? It might be a bit of both.

"Never had I thought that I would be this worried about the good master’s life in my presence..." Yazad’s even tone had dropped down a notch, his eyes still lingering on the empty space in which said master could have been. He never considered himself anything but a mere man whose life had simply aligned this way. Things like this did not happen to him--they cannot possibly happen. They were the stuff of cautionary tales and exaggerated gossip, not anything that would ever be a part of his peaceful, mundane existence.

"If there was truly no potential for magic in passives, then why do such accidents happen? If anything, this makes me want to know how these things occur. If one understood the reasons, prevention -in theory- would be easy. But I suppose if such a way existed, then it would have been put to use already." More than talking to the one next to him, Yazad was thinking out loud before catching himself. "Oh, goodness. Listen to me ramble about theories. Pardon me. Being with the master for so long must have rubbed off on me." The raven-haired man remembered to look at his guest and put his smile back on in an attempt to dismiss the grim air that came with such a subject, pushing his budding concern and impossible theories to the back of his mind for now. He was not a man of science, not even close. If there was anyone who is going to do something about the way passives functioned, it certainly would not be him.

Aurelie Steerpike

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:35 pm

He should know; Aurelie thought it was important that he did, for reasons she didn't quite understand. When she looked away from the clock on the wall, ticking out sacred measurement, Yazad had put one gloved hand to his mouth. He should know—and yet she was sorry, too, that she felt it was so. He wasn't looking at her any more than she had been looking at him when she spoke. Aurelie followed the line of his sight, green after green, to the empty chair behind the desk. Ah.

His voice had dropped, just a little, but enough. Aurelie frowned, then blinked it away. How? she bit her tongue on asking. How could you not have worried? She hadn't even—she had told Ana no, and refused to leave this strange half-life in which she found herself, because of such a fear. It wasn't always in the front of her mind, but it was always there, on the edges of her thoughts. More and more, since last winter. Will it be me, next? What is it that will happen? Is it nothing or something?

Nothing or something; something or nothing. Around and around the idea chased itself in some corner of her heart, untouched and untouchable. Yazad, she realized slowly, didn't know what would happen any more than she did for herself. She was sorry for that too, feeling like she had taken something from him and given him her own fears in its place. There was no taking it back; words spoken could not be unsaid. Time simply—continued on, relentlessly.

Heavy as she felt, Aurelie couldn't help but smile as Yazad went on. Talking in that way people had where it was clear that the words weren't meant for the ears of those they were with—thoughts given shape, nothing more. Perhaps it was just the subject matter, but Aurelie was reminded distinctly of Fionn. The thought ached in some familiar way. Her left hand found the bracelet on her right, and she twisted the tied ends of it in her fingers.

"I don't mind," she reassured him when Yazad looked at her again at last and apologized. Her smile was warm again, and real. "I know someone else who—is not dissimilar. Ah, but if... Hmm."

She hesitated. Would it mean anything him, to know that they weren't—empty? Aurelie couldn't tell. Like and unlike. Nothing and something. The least she could do, she thought slowly, was tell him about Professor Moore. Perhaps he could be involved, or... Well, he was likely a good deal more helpful than she could be. And his motives, she thought with a guilty twist, would be more pure than her own. She knew, or thought she knew, that she also only wanted to ease her—her sense of guilt, of having done wrong by Yazad in bringing this up at all.

"There is, ah—a professor, here, at Brunnhold who is... is researching the subject. I'm afraid I— Well, I suppose one could say I've helped, but that's rather dubiously... Professor Moore," she said at last, hopeful. "I'm sure he—er, well I'm not sure, I don't know the professor at all, not really, but, ah..." They let me be there, she didn't say; you would surely be more welcome than I, and more useful to boot.

"I don't understand it well at all," she added quickly, in case he thought she might be a useful source of answers. "O-only that, they—er, that is Professor Moore and his assistant, she— We're not empty," she spat out, part in desperation. "There's a—n-not a field, I can't quite remember what... But there's something there and... Ah, I'm sorry. They're probably... You could, er, ask. There. If you're... interested." She broke off and looked down, face and ears rapidly coming to match the red of her hair. Bells and chimes, she should really learn to keep her mouth shut.
Yazad

Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:03 am

Sophronios’ Office
D espite the swift return of his polite and cordial smile, Yazad’s heart felt a little heavier than it did just a moment ago. Aurelie had not told him something that he did not already know, really. They were labeled ‘dangerous’ for a reason that was, generally, common knowledge. This, in itself, was nothing new. But hearing an account of spontaneous magic and life casualties from a person he knows had an entirely different effect. It made the threat feel more ‘real’, more present in his life than he was comfortable with.

Yazad would not willingly endanger anyone, but this -Aurelie had said- is not like that. What if his will was meaningless, and the thing within him cared not for it? Was he truly capable of lethal damage such as the one his companion spoke of? He certainly did not want to find out, and if a time came for him to find out, then he prays to Hurte that he takes only his own life and no one else’s. The mere thought of Yazad living beyond his killing of someone he cared for was enough to make the passive’s stomach churn.

At least, Yazad eased up slightly as he thought, Aurelie was smiling again now. Traces of heaviness still lingered in the air, but that too will soon be forgotten, or so he hoped. "Someone else?" Yazad echoed, puzzled. It was only when the woman went on that he understood what she meant. Of course. There seems to be a professor for everything -even plums and peas- so why not this subject? Serious as the matter of discussion was, Yazad could not help but chuckle briefly at the passing thought of another mad scholar storming their servant’s room at ungodly hours while rambling theories about passives.

Professor Moore

Yazad committed the name to memory, storing it at the back of his mind for now along with the intention to ask Sophronios about him. It was one thing to arrange for secretive teatime at Sophronios’ office, and another to go seeking another Brunnhold professor whom he knew nothing about. "You have helped? I do hope that such help did not involve anything...scarring." He did mean it in both possible interpretations, but mostly the more literal one. Hurte knows what methods these scientists use to research their subjects of interest.

Aurelie’s words were slightly difficult to process when Yazad himself did not know the first thing about Professor Moore, his assistant, or the context of what they did to look into the subject. But there was something in the other’s words--a sort of desperate eagerness to prove something, to believe something. Yazad opted to listen and not interrupt the flow of Aurelie’s awkward words, but he could not help how he uttered a spontaneous ‘Hm’ when she mentioned them not being empty. Well, of course, they were not. Something is either there or it is not. A teapot either has tea in it or it does not. A passive either has inexplicably suppressed magic that can uncontrollably manifest itself in them or they do not have any magic at all.

"Something? That is not a field? This is the first that I have heard of this." Yazad commented, eyebrows lifting at a surprised arch before he realized how foolish that statement was. Where would he even hear such a thing from? Clearly, Aurelie knew about it from her association with the professor whom she mentioned earlier. Intrigue gripped at him even more now, and Yazad found himself leaning slightly forward, a hand resting on the sofa to support the shift of his body. Not a field, she said, but something else was there. Something that this Professor Moore could possibly tell him more about. "What are you sorry for, Aurelie? Without you, I would not even have known about any of this. I truly am very interested, if it means learning more about this--about us." Yazad’s smile was nothing less than genuinely grateful and determined.

"I have heard of such disastrous happenings before in my life. Nothing that I could confirm as true or false, mind you. But every time, I had thoughts of doubt and disbelief. Thoughts such as ‘This has to be exaggerated for the sake of dramatics’ or ‘It cannot possibly happen to me’." The man sat back straight again, his gloved fingers lacing on his lap. "It is not easy to accept that such risks exist--not when all that I have known is a simple and peaceful life. If I manage to talk to Professor Moore, I might be able to know enough about not ruining anyone’s life with my ignorance." Or his inability to take a chance of learning when he is presented with one.

Aurelie Steerpike

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:04 pm

WBells and chimes, but she did seem eager to go on about something she didn't understand at all. Like a child, wanting to show off some newly-gained trick to a patient audience of parents and siblings. She might have winced at her own behavior, if she weren't so determined to steer the subject somewhere better than passing along her own anxieties.

"W-well, 'helped' is perhaps a bit... I don't know that I've been particularly... But not scarring, no." Aside from, it seemed, loosening her foolish tongue to wag on about things it shouldn't. That could hardly be blamed on the professor and his research; Aurelie was afraid it was just her nature.

Clearly, she couldn't leave well enough alone—no, that would have been too wise and simple a proposition. Yazad looked confused, and not particularly surprised or interested, as she twisted her tongue up awkwardly to try to explain. Fionn had chastised his sister, all that time ago—there was another dull ache as she thought on it, but it didn't linger—for her poor explanations. Well, she thought, he'd not listened to her talk. Niamh had done quite well, especially by comparison.

"I'm not very good at—well, much of anything, but, ah, explaining this is..." There was a self-depreciating edge to her smile and the dismissive shrug of her shoulders. What she was and was not good at was likely becoming rapidly clear. No need to go on and make a fuss about it. Yazad smiled at her more warmly again, and a little of her tension eased. At least it hadn't been entirely dull. Whether he sought out the research or not, at least it hadn't been entirely without value.

Something a little distant and sad was still in her face when he carried on. She had never had such faith; she wondered how one came by it. And what was it faith in? In himself, that he could stop such a thing from happening? Or in the kindness of life, that it would never put him in the position to find out one way or the other? She had never been much of an optimist. An apology rose to her lips and died there unspoken; she couldn't take it back, and to apologize with no hope of repair or remediation felt insulting.

"It can be—difficult, I mean. Er, I imagine it is. I don't mean to presume... Oh, chimes. This is hardly teatime conversation, is it? I'm afraid I make a very poor guest." Aurelie looked a little mournfully to the pot in its cozy.

She ought to go; he likely wanted her to by now. One would be forgiven for thinking Aurelie had been raised with no manners at all, the way she had carried on about such unpleasant subjects. That she hadn't made it even worse; she should know better. No matter how out-of-practice she was.
Yazad

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:31 am

Sophronios’ Office
N ot scarring, Aurelie said. Well, that was at least something to not worry about. It could be a mere verbal sort of help, in which case he was certain that he would be all for. "Perhaps it might not have felt like much to you, but you have contributed and that is what matters. You would do well to give yourself some credit." Yazad smilingly lifted a gloved hand to wag an extended index finger left and right in dismissal of Aurelie’s doubtful words. What had happened to this woman to make her always seem as if she is unsure about whether or not she should be talking at all? Or perhaps it is simply the way she functioned. Linguistic difficulties were a thing, but it did not appear to be quite that, considering her enthusiasm at different topics.

Ah.

"Oh, no, no, no." This time, Yazad shook his head slowly, his tone calm and tinged with patience. "Far be it from me to call a lady a liar, but I can list a few things that I think you do quite good at. Do be nicer to yourself, Aurelie." The man crossed his legs again, fingers lacing together as he rested his hands on his knees. For the stiffly straight posture he held his back at, Yazad looked nothing if not at ease. It genuinely amused him, perhaps just as much as the mention of ‘not-empty’ passives--just why Aurelie had such an unfavorable view of herself."Had it not been for you, I would never have known about this very important and equally interesting matter. I do intend to pursue this after a discussion with the good master, naturally." If Aurelie did not look to be entirely uncomfortable with the topic, he would have asked for more of her assistance and information.

Either way, the woman had given him something to think about -with more seriousness than he did before-, and a way to try and learn more about it. The implications of such a claim were clear enough--passives would not be seen as magically incapable if a respectable scientist from an institution such as Brunnhold said otherwise. It would be a breakthrough, and a blessing to the passive collective as a whole, but...he was selfish -or perhaps dull- enough to only care about getting the affirmation that such a thing can be controlled.

Goodness, she really was most unkind to herself in a way that simply baffled him. "I say that neither you nor I are used to being a guest or a host, so this is quite alright. I do favor spending time with the rare company rather than drinking tea." Although he hoped, that did not come across as him not appreciating the tea that Aurelie had made. It had surely gone cold by now, and the refreshments that he had sampled largely forgotten. "I do hope that you can forgive my lack of hosting grace, and I will not hold it against you should you find the company unexciting. I simply find this interesting as it offers me a chance to learn more about your life. Me, I have only lived one kind of life and it is certainly not--this."

A soft chuckle followed. There was nothing but suppressed mirth to be seen in Yazad’s eyes and the curving smile his face wore. "Making jam with friends, mingling with other passives, participating in university research. It all sounds rather exciting." And a taste of excitement was not something that he is averse to as long as he is able to return to his peaceful, mundane life after.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information