Once More, This Time With Electricity!

Time for some proper magic

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Athrym Bruthgrave
Topics: 13
Race: Galdor
: Welcome to Brunnhold. Now go home.
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Raksha
Post Templates: Post Templates

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 am

Loshis 1st, 2718
Field of Practical Application | Mid-Afternoon
Loshis.

Cold, wet and gloomy.

And entirely not outside weather.

Yet, Athrym found herself strolling to the University Lawns with a smile on her face, tilting her face skyward so the fat raindrops washed over her pale skin and wicked into the rich black neck of her fitted dress. Her damp platinum locks curled slightly in the wet weather, and her skirt was slightly muddied, but the blonde Ambassador didn’t care.

She was meeting the professor for her first proper lesson.

Her smile broadened into a private grin, lips painted with a rich red hue and cheeks pink with fond memories of their previous time together, unable to stop the warmth that hummed in her field. Their explorations had been far less studious in nature, far less professional...

But far more deviously exciting.

Lifting her vibrant green gaze from the ground before her, to the rain hazed and pockmarked lawn before her, the Gioran looked for the familiar red haired Anaxi with chin high and a casually aloof expression. They had agreed, when all was said and done, that they would meet with on the first of Loshis to begin their lessons in Physical conversation. All entirely off the cuff and casual as it were.

Truth be told, Athrym hadn’t stopped thinking about Nauleth ever since.

She’d of course, played her most professional and respectable part of Ambassador during their catch ups in school hours, but the evenings were wildly filled with all the imaginings they could muster. It wasn’t just enjoyable, not on a physical level, but on a personal level. The blonde had been so driven to fulfil her mother’s expectations as a student, that she’d never made a friend to joke and laugh with, to share things no one else knew like her secret newly developed fascination with Rex Manblade and Destiny Darling.

What would mother say?

It was distracting, in both good and bad ways. The blonde wasn’t sure what she could call the way her stomach turned in knots when she saw Nauleth Siordanti, but it wasn’t fear or anxiety. It was...distracting.

“Not today. Today is an utterly focused day of practical application and dedicated study.” The pale woman muttered under her breath, dragging her delicately manicured fingertips through her hair to pull it back into a high ponytail as she waited for the man.

Electricity and Light. That’s what he’d mentioned they would be working on. Similar to what she’d seen in the classroom, they would be working on similar spells, the blonde gioran intent on building not only her physical monic relationship but also her prowess in the conversation itself.

“Five more minutes, Professor Siordanti, before I begin to loose my patience.” Athrym said softly, pushing cold rain water out of her face and restraining the urge to use magic to keep it at bay. There’d been enough questionable ‘noble’ use in the past few days that the Ambassador worried a simple barrier spell may backfire. Of course, there had been an umbrella in her housing, but then she was Gioran, and they embraced the rain.

Even the cold Anaxi kind.

“Clock this.” She said with a pout, now quite suitably soaked and no less alone. A few students and faculty staff passed her by with curious looks all of which she ignored, before turning on her heel in preparation of searching out the taller man, her temper mildly stirring in her field.

Tags:
Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
: Magus in the Making
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:06 pm

1st of Loshis, 2718
He was so clocking late.

This was not abnormal for the professor when classes were in session, of course, for his fifth form students often attempted to remain in his classroom and bog him down with questions, picking his clocking brain or whining about their last quiz results. Even on the nines and tens, Nauleth usually found himself on the Lawn or in the garden or buried under books in the Library planning curriculum or pursuing his post-graduate thesis, slowly but surely crafting spells of his own in order to pursue the esteemed title of Magister.

But, this was Loshis.

And it was clocking raining.

Not only that, but it was the Feast of Saint Grumble, which meant that for a whole week, there were no classes whatsoever, galdori expected to be home with their families or celebrating with elaborate dinners and gift exchange parties for the entire ten days. While the young Siordanti had admittedly been distracted over the past several days with a particular petite blonde and their rather mutual interests in each other, he had no idea if the Kingdom of Gior celebrated Saint Grumble (or if any other Kingdom did, for that matter), but he had the inkling of an impression that it was only a strange Anaxi holiday.

It had taken him a quarter of an hour too long to wrap his small gift of specialty sweets from the Stacks and a few fruits from Mugroba in wax paper with a little ribbon, tucked under his coat as he walked briskly through the rain without an umbrella. He was also burdened with his satchel, full of a collection of things related to his plans for experimentation on the Field of Practical Application with Athrym. It was too wet for a typical ProdigiumSee the Constructs section here. Also, click the little icon or the word Prodigum, and this note will stay static so you can click the link. Amazing!, and so he'd had to improvise. Squashing his way through the scarred and wild Lawn, Nauleth was grinning long before the disheveled, impatient Gioran came into view through the misty, not quite heavy rain.

He'd thought of the lovely blonde every spare moment, and his freckled chest was warm with enticing memories of their bodies together, the heated thoughts an effective barrier against the chill of the rain. He waved at a student or two he knew, but then he saw Athrym and his wave was far more enthusiastic,

"Good afternoon, Miss Bruthgrave. I'm sorry I'm a tick late. I, uh, got a little distracted and lost track of time trying to decide what to bring with me for our casting today." The young Siordanti grinned lopsidedly at her, aware that he'd kept her waiting, field mingling with hers in a more than simply casual greeting before he reached for her. He felt the irritation in her field, but curled fingers into the wet fabric of her dress anyway, uncaring if everyone else on the clocking Lawn saw him kiss her, gently and as chaste as possible in public despite his ardent desire to do otherwise,

"Happy Feast of Saint Grumble. I have something for you before we get started, and, maybe a question. Uh. First, though, here—" The young professor laughed awkwardly, pulling from his coat the small package wrapped in wax paper and ribbon, "You don't have to open it now. Do you celebrate Grumble's feast in Gior, lover?"

Nauleth all but purred the word, teasing her with its sound as well as reminding them both of their recent entertainments, a bit of color flushing his cheeks. He'd wait for her to investigate her gift, watching her with his gold-rimmed gaze even as he shifted his satchel over his shoulder and began to rummage through its contents,

"I'll sing you the dirge later, or, honestly, you'll be able to hear it eventually on the streets. There'll be some carolers tonight on campus, I bet. Probably a play on the steps of Church of the Moon in a few days, even in the clocking rain. Oh ... so, listen, uh, you don't have any plans this week, do you?" The junior professor rambled while he began removing things from his satchel—waxed string and a few metal rods in order to set up the Prodigium in the rain.

"I was thinking of going home to Vienda for a few days for the Feast—and, uh, I know this is kind of clocking forward—but I haven't been home in about eight years—er—would you like to come with me? We could go to the theatre and—tocks, maybe I'm a little too excited about you. I'm sorry. I just—" Naul was blushing, staring down at the glass sphere in his hand and turning it over against his palms with his freckled fingers, "—it's clocking boring to be alone over the Feast holiday. You can say no, of course, and I'd totally understand. Maybe you have ... Ambassador things to do after all, right?"
Welcome to Brunnhold, stop-clocker, now go home.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:01 am

Loshis 1st, 2718
Athrym spun at the sound of her name, looking through the misty rain and keeping her annoyed pout in place, quite prepared to give him a solid piece of her mind. A little distracted? Was their agreed practice that much of a burden for him? His grin tugged at the corners of her own mouth, impish and frustratingly handsome—no! She was cross at him! Her field simmered, and she opened her mouth to let the professor know how clocking angry she was, only to be caught off guard as the anaxi pulled her close and kissed her. It wasn’t long enough, a chaste peck, but it was enough to throw her focus. Instead of letting fly with a tirade of snappy insults, the ambassador simply grinned like a smitten fifth form.

“It’s fine, really. You’re not that late, and the weather is bursting with luck for our session so it’s just fine. I…oh?” The blonde drew her brow together in confusion, looking down at the package that Nauleth drew from his coat. Her summer gaze flicked up to watch his lips as the reckless galdor purred his final word, her cheeks turning pink with fond memories and the sheer gioran boldness in his tone. Quite frankly, she was momentarily speechless, mouth dry and heart stammering.

“I uh…Grumble? I’m. Not. No.” She took the package and cleared her throat with a laugh.

“We don’t have any such celebration, for any such Saint. Why do you have a Saint of Grumbling? Is this a tradition, an Anaxi thing I assume?” The pale ambassador looked over the package, dragging the loose ribbon gently between a finger and thumb with a smile.

“Was I meant to bring something too? Are there protocols I should be aware of?” Athrym asked logically, curiously interested in the bizarre celebration name and confused by the gift. Tugging on the end of the ribbon, she looked down at the contents with a sudden gasp of delight, picking up something sweet and soft and chocolatey to bite it in half with a sound of pleasure.

“Nauleth, you really shouldn’t have. If I’d known I would have brought something too.” Her delighted grin turned positively wicked as she chewed politely on the bite.

“I’ll just have to make up for it later.” She said softly, chuckling and offering the red haired professor a wicked wink. Listening to him continue about the strange holiday, her brows raised one at a time, shaking her head slowly when he asked about her plans for the week.

I was thinking of going home….Would you like to come with me?

Athrym balked against the sweet in her mouth as she inhaled too rapidly, not entirely choking but having to clear her throat and cough. Her green eyes were wide, watching the professor with pulse racing in her ears. After an awkward moment of silence, her smile returned, accompanied by a warmth glowing on her cheeks.

“I would love to see Vienda, and your home, lover. She said through a ridiculous grin, dimples forming in her red cheeks as she slipped the other half of the uneaten sweet between his own lips and slipped close to steal another quick kiss from the galdor.

“You can give the guided tour and all that.” Beaming at him, she quickly rewrapped the gifts and moved to place them where they wouldn’t get destroyed by the rain, straightening and looking over his collection of metal rods and glass spheres.

“What in the clocks are these for, and how can I help?” She asked with a laugh, ready to proceed with whatever they had in plan.

Nauleth Siordanti

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm

1st of Loshis, 2718
Nauleth grinned at catching her off guard, shaking his head when she took the package from his hands, thankful that the rain hid the nervousness that may have otherwise been felt from his warm palms, "No, you don't have to get me anything in return. It's clearly just an Anaxi celebration, then, and I'll take you to the play so you may learn all about it through visual aids and song, I promise."

He chuckled, sea-glass gaze drifting downward to watch her with expectant eagerness as she began to unwrap his gift, chuckling at her delight as well as her promises, "I'm sure I could think of something to unwrap later." He replied in equally wicked riposte, blushing and faltering when she returned his term of endearment back at him along with her acceptance of his invitation,

"I—uh—I should probably preface my invitation with the note that I haven't spoken to any of my family in those same eight years I haven't been home. After my brailing, they—my father and my mother both, as well as my two younger siblings—stopped talking to me, so—oh. Mmm." Her sharing of the sweet forced him into momentary silence while the brush of her lips stole his thoughts. He chewed and grinned with a smitten sort of stupidity, blinking at the petite blonde in the misty, clinging rain,

"Yes. Well. Vienda's very different than Brunnhold, Ambassador. It's only right that a proper native such as myself give you the tour." Nauleth finally managed to speak up, distracting himself with all of the equipment he'd brought along for their experiments, thankful that she chose to shift the conversation back toward their reason for meeting out on the Lawn in the first place, lest he be tempted to lose himself in her rather attractive presence instead, lest he be forced to linger on the silence of his family since his injury.

The string and a handful of small metal rods he offered to Athrym once she'd set her package down, "These are to build a Prodigium between us as well as to define an area in which to work in. Do you work within something similar as students in Gior? Or do you have other methods?"

The professor part of the tall Anaxi took over and he was happy to direct her on how to place the metal rods in a circle, roughly mimicking the marks on the face of a clock. Thirty small rods to define a circle about thirty yards in diameter, giving them plenty of room to experiment in. Once the rods were placed, he'd show her how to weave the waxed string from rod to rod, moving around the circle two or three times to make a solid line,

"We can cast together to create the Prodigium, sharing thoughts as well as creating a protective barrier for everyone else outside the circle ... you know, since we're dealing with clocking electricity today." Naul grinned tauntingly, not entirely answering her question about what they'd be experimenting with other than that. He may have stumbled slightly over the words sharing and thoughts, a little color rising to his freckled cheeks at the implications, but it was brief and he was far too engaged with the task at hand to get terribly distracted.

Handing her a couple of the small glass spheres, Athrym would be able to notice that within them was a small filament, similar to the rare electric lights that could be found on campus and in the finer places of Vienda proper. There were eight spheres in total, and the young Siordanti had them carefully wrapped in his satchel. Clearly they were expensive and a personal treasure for the red-headed professor,

"So, I've been conducting a few experiments with controlling voltage and testing the distance that electricity can travel between objects depending on various conditions. It should be acceptably educational for you, a bit of practice with the Monite verbiage for shifting Physical mona's activity and all that. And I could always use another brain with these things, lest I end up repeating experiments I've already attempted."

Naul shrugged at the Gioran ambassador, holding up a sphere to squint at the petite blonde through its clear distorting form. Tucking the spheres away, he waved a hand at the circle they'd created to invite her to cast with him, the Prodigium a simple series of Perceptive and Quantitative spells that would allow them to share thoughts as well as a Physical barrier that the tall Anaxi clearly knew better how to form, though he used a few hand signs in order to direct Athrym on how to speak in tandem Monite with him.

The air would thicken in a dome-like shape around them in a half-sphere shape the same size as their circle, visible only because the rain seemed to slow as it hit the barrier, dribbling a little over the invisible surface before it fell in even slower motion toward the ground at their feet. It wasn't exactly a respite from the weather so much as a magical change in it. Their thoughts mingling again was immediately distracting for Nauleth, and he didn't bother to hide his stray desires nor his lopsided grin before bringing himself back into a more studious focus,

Questions before I begin to outline today's plan? He all but hummed in their mind space, offering her two of the spheres.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:34 am

Loshis 1st, 2718
Athrym shook her head with a dimpled blush at his suggestive words, watching with delight as he grinned back at her, clearly loosing himself in a tangent of rambling that indicated nervousness about home. The sweet was a welcome break in his words, and the kiss even more delightful distraction.

“Well they better be clocking prepared to talk to you when you bring home the Ambassador of Gior. Wouldn’t want to offend foreign dignitaries and all that.” She said with a brush of her thumb on his cheek and a wink, before watching him move to his trinkets with a chuckle.

“I hear Vienda is quite pretty at night, with the lanterns and such in the…er…some market. I don’t know. Father told me once or twice. Can’t be that pretty though since he rarely returns.” The summer eyed gioran teased, her grin ridiculously wide. Following the taller red head around as he set up, Athrym nodded, taking the rod in her hand and turning it over slowly.

“Yes, but not like this. We use the Stones of Imaan for our Prodigium. Carved from the debris of Qrieth in its construction, each stone as a singular monite inscription, a whole library of stones sit for us to experiment with. It’s imperative to treat them with respect and care, as they are as old as the mountain that Qrieth itself occupies. My tutors advised their age and history makes them extremely powerful, but I personally didn’t see a particularly overwhelming effect.” Moving as Nauleth directed her, the platinum haired dignitary helped him set up the metal rods, picking up on the positions like the marks on a clock. Taking the waxed string, they worked quickly to build the circle.

“Shared thoughts, Professor? Are you sure you’re ready for that again?” Athrym couldn’t resist, biting the tip of her tongue with a mischievous grin, before taking one of the spheres. She held it up to what little light there was in the stormy sky, examining the filament inside with a curiosity that burned in her nature.

“So we’ll be conducting electricity between these spheres?” She asked with genuine interest, handing her own back to him with a giggle as he looked at her through the centre, his eye larger than it really was. They watched each other across the circle, and drawing her field closer, Athrym listened first and watched his hands, before adding her voice to his. The air around them swelled and thickened, like a dome encasing the circle above and around them. The gioran couldn’t help but glance with curiosity at the water dropless rolling off the nothingness above them like. It was always fascinating to see the mona at work, manipulating the order of things to make the impossible possible.

Glancing at Nauleth, Athrym bit her full lower lip with unabashed delight, her thoughts intermingled with the taller red heads in far more intimate ways than a days practice on the Lawn really required. Raising her brow slightly, the Ambassador countered the desires of the Professor with her own salacious imagery, boldly letting her mind explore what their bodies had not. Quite suddenly, she opened her mouth in an ‘O’ of false shock and shook her head.

Only one, Professor Siortanti. Is that really the proper way to think about a lady? She smirked, moving closer to take the two spheres and holding them in her hands almost gingerly. They were beautiful, even if just designed as a tool for casting. Oh, the wonders of galdori, would they never cease? For a brief moment, the pale creature contemplated their origin, not entirely convinced that anything so delicate could come from Anaxas. The country seemed heavy handed and complex. Perhaps Hox, or Hesse. Or even Bastia. A sudden thought captured the blonde, causing her to look back at Nauleth again.

Alright, two questions. Why electricity? I mean, I have my preference in living magic, I would rather garden than operate because plants scream a lot less. But why electricity for you? A personal interest, sir? Or just a random series of tests? Athrym frowned with curiosity, tilting her head as though to emphasise her words.

Nauleth Siordanti

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:52 pm

1st of Loshis, 2718
"I can't guarantee they'll at all be prepared to see me, but trust me, my father is Incumbent Hadrian Siordanti, and he'll be more than esteemed to see the likes of the Gioran Ambassador on his doorstep. Even if they only invite you in, at least I'll be able to say I clocking tried after all this time." Nauleth sniggered, but it was with a hint of bitterness. Her verdant gaze was comforting, at least, and he smiled at her summary of Vienda. It was a lovely city and one he had fond memories of, both from his childhood, and his lifetime thus far spent visiting. Just because he and his family didn't speak didn't mean he avoided the capital entirely.

"Stones?" His hands on the glass spheres paused and he arched a ginger brow—the right one, of course, was the only one that moved in such a way—curiously turning over her words. An eager sort of smile passed over his features, feeling as though Athrym was describing sacred objects, artifacts, beautiful religious treasures. The thought of these stones as the debris of magic in use made the young professor so excited he almost dropped one of the spheres, "Oh, Good Lady, I do hope I can get to see a few of those. Can I convince you to take me to Gior on a visit?"

Nauleth's grin was stupid, a bit of color threatening to drown out his freckles, and her tease about shared thoughts only served to deepen his blush, "Yes, I'm more than willing for more of—oh, you meant sharing thoughts, didn't you? I think we'll be alright. Mostly. So long as we don't reminisce too much ... or ... plan ahead." The tall red head's expression became wicked, teasing the petite blonde back in equal measure, certainly not opposed to more of what they'd already shared together.

Clearing his throat and glancing back down at the sphere in his hands, he nodded, "Yes. There are different types of electric current, and different variables have some interesting effects on the flow. Since it's all relatively new and unexplored, I've spent a bit of time with some colleagues in order to find ways of bringing light and power to all of Anaxas, if not the Six Kingdoms. I've even considered a second post-graduate degree in Physics in order to explore these aspects Physical Conversation more effectively." The young Siordanti rambled for a few moments with his more typical academic enthusiasm, smiling distractedly, a very specific kind of gleam in his gold-rimmed gaze. Blinking in the rain, he looked back to Athrym with a hint of chagrin,

"Sorry. I ... I have channeled so clocking much of my youthful aggression into intellectual curiosity. I tend to get carried away." Arranging the spheres in the circle they'd made, their casting of the Prodigium did what it was supposed to, though their mingled thoughts couldn't help but be distracted. Gods, the things the Gioran Ambassador brought to mind were so clocking tempting, Nauleth couldn't help but let his eyes flutter shut for a moment. She was an amazing creature, and one he wasn't sure he at all deserved the company of. Perhaps she saw something in him he did not, for all the Anaxi really saw in the mirror was his failure and self-doubt, after all, one side at a time. She shouldn't have been wasting her time with an experimental academic like himself when she could have had any politician's ear she so desired.

I don't have to be proper with you, do I? I hope not.

He smiled shyly, forcing the thoughts to be coy in order to bury the sudden wave of self-consciousness that threatened to drown him. Handing over the spheres, feeling the hints of her questions as they bubbled to the surface of their connection, They're Hoxian. The glass arts in Hox are unrivaled in known Vita, after all. As for why? Well—

He rolled his narrow shoulders into a dismissive shrug before holding one of the spheres up in his hand between them, gathering the Physical mona that had come to huddle within the shelter of the prodigium as well as what already gave such gravity to his field, speaking his Monite with an air of careful interest. There was a flicker of fascination to his intonation, like a child's first spell, for Nauleth was in a constant state of seeking to improve his approach to the mysterious sentience that gave him the power to defy the laws the universe otherwise seemed to stay together with.

His spell excited electrons, charging the metal filaments inside the glass sphere and causing a light to glow, faintly at first and then brighter still as his words built upon themselves and his concentration deepened. Once the sphere was glowing brightly, he smiled, spell fading on his lips while he answered the petite blonde in thought,

Personal interest, yes. Just as fire was power for our earliest ancestors, so I believe that electricity will be a revival in our troubled times. I agree with you that we galdori in Anaxas have become too reliant on the labor of the lower races, but with light and power provided by electricity, we won't need them for much, if anything, at all. He grinned, taunting her with her own political opinions simply because he wasn't an idiot. He was a politician's son, and an intelligent one at that, just disinterested in the gritty details when he could be experimenting with cerebral concepts.

There are rules. Laws. There are principles. Not all of them are understood. The connection between electricity and light, between our ley lines and the use of magic. I want to understand what they are. I want to find the boundaries ... and break them.

He let the light fade from the filament in his hand with the ending of his spell, choosing to speak out loud,

"These bulbs are similar to the ones used around campus, only they're all self-contained and meant to be powered magically, obviously. There's a filament inside that lights up when turning electric energy into light energy. Light and electricity have a connection, and my physicist friends claim that light is actually a form of energy. So, I guess I'm just a glutton for intellectual punishment, chasing theories and pushing boundaries."

He laughed again, rolling his sea glass-colored eyes before waving a hand dismissively, a nervousness flooding their connected minds that revealed just how much self-doubt the young Siordanti lived his life buried under. He clearly felt unworthy to pursue anything obvious, finding the experimental nature of electricity both thrilling and side-lined enough that he had complete freedom to pursue his ideas without interruption, "Anyway, we're going to experiment with how electricity travels through the air. I can't promise you won't get a little shock or two—I'm not the safest of students."

Nauleth's grin was deviously honest, flashing Athrym his lopsided expression before he moved to arrange the spheres at certain distances in a straight line, creating an equator through the prodigium circle they'd created, "Electricity travels through the air, but it's not always visible to our eyes or our senses. Lightning is electricity, but it's basically runaway power. What we will do is slowly experiment with voltage strength until all of the filaments are alight. Casting in chorus will allow me to weave in some Quantitative for measurement, if you don't mind."
Athrym Bruthgrave

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Loshis 1st, 2718
The Ambassador looked the man up and down, as though making a calculated assessment of him, one carefully perfected brow arching to meet his own and full lips pursing in thought.

“Yaris then, Professor Siordanti. If you can gain support to leave your classes for a season, we will visit Gior in the dry. I must visit regardless, lest mother take it upon herself to come to Anaxas and check on me. Though this time I must insist we take an airship, I don’t think I could take another trip by carriage.” She said it all very matter of factly, as though it were not a spur of the moment decision. Truth be told, she had already formally invited the man to her home, so to set a date was merely the next step.

“I will need Roalis to procure your permissions to enter Qrieth anyway, so that works well.” As they settled into the magically contained area, their minds laced together through the perceptive touch, Athrym couldn’t help the dimpled wicked smile that touched her cheeks as Nauleth sorted through her thoughts.

I’ll make a Gioran of you yet at this rate. She thought with amusement, not entirely familiar with the Hoxian galdori as she should like to be. An elegant and poised people, Athrym had considered a trip to the country in her youth, however this had been quickly stomped out by her mothers overbearing expectations.

The blonde watched with interest as the red haired man’s field ebbed with Physical mona, drawing close as he spoke the words to coax the sentient life form into action, green eyes focusing on the orb as it slowly lit up in his hand. It was both fascinating and beautiful to watch, and somewhere within Athrym desired to have that same knowledge and power even if she did not care for the Physical conversation of her people. Her gaze drifted back to his face with a tilt of her head and a smirk.

So you see electricity to be the path to salvation for Anaxas? A way forward from this dependency on the cattle of humanity? I imagine such progressive thoughts are not entirely welcome amongst the Headmistresses flock. The young Ambassador hinted at the common rumours that Ophelia was a sympathiser, her respect for the woman marred by the mere thought. As the bulb faded, Athrym took a moment to gather her field, preparing herself to cast in chorus with the taller Anaxi.

“Lighting? Like the very same that breaks the stormy skies to sunder Vita? That, my dear Professor, is far more than a little shock.” The Gioran said with a laugh, shifting to stand at the other end of the line he had created, skirts sweeping around her legs as she walked. She held her hand out, as though testing to feel this electricity in the air he spoke of, before curling her fingers under and drawing her hand back to her side.

“Quantative is not at all within my areas of study, so I must warn you that I will need some guidance.” As they faced each other, the pale dignitary gestured at the spheres again.

“If this is energy, would it not be feasible to use this to generate heat? There are places in Gior that even the brightest flame cannot burn lest the very air be pulled from the surface. Only our most experienced magisters can go there, skilled in years of training to breathe the stale and thin atmosphere below, enduring the chill of the mountain and the darkness that dwells there. But even then, there are places even they cannot go anymore. If energy can generate heat and light, then one need only create the air to breathe. There are histories down there, long since lost to the depths. We could retrieve them.” Her face expressed something akin to a revelation and wonderment, summer gaze looking at Nauleth again with a grin.

“Let’s cast then, Mister Siordanti, and see what we can create.”

Nauleth Siordanti

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 pm

1st of Loshis, 2718
"I don't have a clocking clue how Ophelia will consider such a last-minute request, but if I can find a substitute, I may be able to swing an intellectual exchange. Is there a Physical Conversation professor that you could get me in touch with so that perhaps we could work out some ideas over the Roalis break? If nothing else, I can request a sabbatical, but I can't guarantee Headmistress Servalis would grant such a thing until the end of the school year." Nauleth couldn't help but feel the heat of his blush and the warmth of excitement crawl through his veins, her story of precious stones and magical artifacts sending a bit of a thrill down his freckled spine.

Once they'd settled into their prodigium and the junior professor began to explain more than just his plan for their morning but also his reasons for experimenting in the first place. The tall redhead smiled at Athrym's questions. Choosing to answer out loud, he shrugged his narrow shoulders, "I see electricity as a way to revolutionize the Six Kingdoms, but also as a way to revive the Kingdom of Anaxas. We've wasted so much clocking time mired in stupid politics and dwelling on the lower races. We're galdori for fuck's sake."

He groaned, the vehemence in his field and his tone of voice revealing the passionate depths of his ideas, but his lopsided expression softened and he let his sea-glass gaze wander over the placement of the spheres while he added quietly, "No one else really knows of my reasons ... but you do now. I haven't finished writing my dissertation, and my post-graduate review isn't for another year—"

Nauleth smirked, aware that he was rambling, standing their with their fields gathered. The young Siordanti's was rather heavy with Physical mona, almost as if it had a gravity all its own while they stood under the prodigium.

"—generate heat? Somehow, yes. Electricity can replace steam power so long as some of my physicist friends find sustainable, non-magical ways of generating it. There are probably ways of harnessing electricity that aren't in my mental capacity to consider at this juncture in my studies, but I'm sure there are some solutions that could be considered with proper planning and the right galdori minds." Was he implicating himself in that suggestion? Of course he was. Waving a hand about Quantitative Conversation as if to indicate he had that part of their experimentation under control, Naul finally paused their conversation long enough to still his thoughts and refocus on their connection.

He sighed, aware that such tangents got him excited and that his mind was often too busy for his own good. The junior professor closed his eyes for a moment, reaching into the somewhat damp pocket of his vest and removed a small notebook and a pencil. Tucking the pencil behind his ear, he opened his sea glass-colored eyes again and offered Athrym a smile before he began to cast, allowing her time to listen to his careful, curious Monite before she needed to join him.

He sought out the tiniest of particles with his spell, though he didn't entirely understand them. Not yet. He'd heard theories from his physicist friends in the Science department but still needed to do more studying on his own. Asking the mona to begin to excite the small particles that became part of an electric current, to fill the air with their charged presence, he essentially requested the mona become a the source of electricity without steam or coal or a motor.

Centering the effects upon himself as the point of origin so he could easily make necessary calculations, he began to weave in his Quantitative requests for information about what was happening while he quietly began to alter the voltage between where he was standing and where Athrym stood, inviting her to cast with him for better control. As the pair of them spoke Monite, Nauleth was slowly attempting to begin lighting the spheres one at a time to judge distance. It would be faint in the beginning, almost imperceptible when the first sphere glowed after he found the right wording for their shared spell, and then he would begin experimenting with voltage to light up the rest between them, one at a time, taking notes as he needed to, until all of the spheres glowed brightly.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:49 pm

Loshis 1st, 2718
The Gioran thought, recalling names and faces of the practising Physical teachers in Qrieth, imagining the best fit for her Anaxi companion.

“You could engage Maester Makeae? He is one of the teachers at the Temple, which is where we do our magical studies. That is probably your best place to start. Remember, Professor, Gior is not Anaxas. Our university is for academia and life studies, our temple is for magic. There is a more scientific Physical department in the university, the study more of the why of magic, rather than the application of it. But that, or yes, speak to Ophelia. I’m sure she would encourage it, knowing that the Da Huane’s have expressed interest. It would be most strategically strengthening to have an Anaxi in Qrieth, given we do not just let anyone in. Surely the Headmistress would be aware of that.” She hummed with strong agreement at his comments regarding reliance on the lower races. If anything at all could be taken away from this trip to Anaxas, it was the over dependency the galdori here had on humans and to a lesser extent, wicks. Why they didn’t just exile the whole stinking lot was beyond her. Too soft, to mollycoddled by their own wants and needs. The whole country needed to learn the meaning of ‘self sustaining.’

“Replacing steam? I can hardly see how, given that is a physical tangible state of existence. E-lec-tricity, as you say it, is not physical. It is…light and….things. Things I cannot bottle or hold to release at a later date.” She said with a scoff, though part of her wasn’t really sure she was correct. They’d become distracted, she could feel the Perceptive connection wavering, and with a nod and a smile, she refocused to concentrate whilst Naul began an unfamiliar incantation.

As the Gioran Ambassador began to join his chanting, her mouth taking its time around the unfamiliar joining of monite, she couldn’t help but wonder how much better this might work if Echo Casting could be performed. Unfortunately, save for the auditorium and the Church with its horrific crypts, Athrym wasn’t aware of any decent place to utilise the technique. Qrieth itself was one giant echo chamber, and yes whilst they had a specific place to practice the finer details of the casting, you could in theory do it almost anywhere with reverberation.

Her mind had wandered for a moment, but it snapped back as the first of the sphere’s lit up, followed carefully by the others. Green eyes widening, the woman looked on with fascination, realising that — well actually yes, you could bottle electricity by this standard. Would it stay there, or would it fade? She wanted to reach out and touch it, resisting the urge by pressing her hands to her skirt.

Fascinating. And this is your spellwork, correct? This is not an existing line I could pull from any old grimore? Truly incredible. Well done, sir. The blonde said silently, her wonder frankly exposed in her thoughts and the caprice of her field. Still talking, still casting, she moved closer to one of the spheres and reached out her hand to hover above it. The small hairs on the back of her arm raised, responding to the charge in the air.

Could this be the answer to the Gioran questions lost so far in the Deep? As they worked, and Naul captured his data, the petite creature lost herself in the endless possibilities of what this could mean for her people.

What would they find, if they could get down there, and would it be worth the effort?

Would it help her find her true name? That was the end goal of all galdori ultimately.

Wasn’t it?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information