I, Spy (Rayne)

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Drezda Ecks
Topics: 21
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Maximus
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Roalis 6, 2718
Drezda always enjoyed a return to Brunnhold although it was a pleasure equal to how she felt when she returned to Frecksat. Both were institutes of magical learning with social rules that she knew inside and out. There was an ease to being here, far fewer variables to contend with than in the world at large beyond its rather extensive walls. The wider world of Anaxas provided a more entertaining challenge and the politicking there was necessary if she wanted to have certain powers and a certain level of access. In Vienda, she was in close proximity to Brunnhold, which was her true source of interest.

She was paying a visit today to the Chair of Induction, Pleasis Meringue. She'd arrived at the university the previous day and had given him ample warning that she wanted to see him, arranging a meeting for today and giving her a chance to recover after her trip from the capital. It was good to have her full faculties for such a meeting and it was good to be fresh; she needed to look her best.

The diplomat had tied her hair back, inserting a number of pins that were both functional and decorative, holding her hair in a twisted knot at the nape of her neck. It was more in line with the style of her homeland, as was the style of her dress, tightly sheathing her in black silk, a white floral pattern up the side tracing the curves of her body. She'd accentuated some of those curves, adding a layer to her bosom with careful stuffing, fabric stretched tightly over it, cleavage nicely visible through the slit in the cloth. If she unfastened the clasp at her throat then the view would be significantly enhanced but she wasn't going to do that; the woman had standards, especially where men were concerned. It was something to be idly fondled, a casual suggestion that she might undo it.

The Hoxian minced carefully down the passages of the university, heading to the man's office with a small bag slung over her shoulder, which held something more tangible than the empty promises of her body.

When she arrived at her destination, she rapped sharply with her knuckles, a slight twist of her lips the closest she came to a grimace at the sting of her flesh. The man wouldn't open the door himself - that was a job for a passive - and so when it opened and she stepped through, she didn't even glance towards the person behind it, instead fixing her attention immediately on the stout man seated at the desk who had the look of someone who'd just been for a run; Drezda wondered how someone could look so breathless all the time. She smiled as she moved closer, the man standing as she raised her right hand and inclined her head in greeting, and he bowed deeply to her, a very Anaxi gesture.

"Good day, Mr Meringue. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me," the Hoxian said softly, earning a broad smile from the man as his gaze drifted down to her chest. It quickly flicked to the bag, a brief moment of curiosity about what goodies she might have brought him before his eyes went back to her the curvature of her breasts. Lecherous bastard! Still, the diplomat had known; she hadn't padded her chest on a whim.

"A pleasure to see you, Drezda, as always. I'm happy to be at your beck and call. And please, I've said it before, call me Pleasis," he responded jovially, gesturing for her to sit while he resumed his own seat. There was a slight tic in her cheek just below her eye, a nerve jumping as she maintained the smile while loathing him for his familiarity. It was a necessary evil but oh how she hated him calling him Drezda. She could put up with his lusty looks, long ago having developed the necessarily thick skin to allow such things to slide off her, but she didn't like this friendliness.

"Will you take tea? I ordered up the sort that you like."

Without waiting for a response, he gestured to the passive in the room, his attention diverted for a moment before he acted as if the girl wasn't present at all; passives were invisible until they were necessary. Meringue leaned forward, plonking elbows on the desk as he wheezed. If he was a bit taller then a considerable amount of the fat on his torso would likely spill onto the surface, Drezda noted with distaste, even as she continued to smile, slipping her bag off and placing it in her lap. She bowed her head, pretending to examine something inside it, leaning a little closer herself so that his view of her chest was improved. She heard the man pant and had to suppress the urge to pull a disgusted face. Pathetic!

"So what can I do for you today, Drezda? Checking up on our little sorcerers, eh?"

"Oh you make it sound as if I only ever come to see you on business, ... Pleasis," she purred, looking up at him through her lashes and laughing inwardly as his chest seemed to puff out. Even if she was attracted to men, did he really believe that he'd go out of her way to see his flabby, old erse as if it was a pleasure?

"Admittedly, I am here on business. Not official business, you understand. It's just an... informal check. I like to know how my own people's children are doing, of course, and I'm always eager to expand the horizons of those Anaxi children with talent. You know how important I think it is for them to see more of the world before they graduate and while Frecksat may seem humble in comparison to here... well, I think we provide valuable perspectives for them. Very valuable later in life," Drezda explained, reiterating old points; this path was a well-worn one at this point.

"You understand the value of the exotic, don't you, Pleasis?" she murmured, reaching a hand up to the back of her neck as if checking a pin there. She allowed her fingertips to dance delicately back around her pale throat, finding the clasp above her cleavage and fiddling with it in an absentminded manner.

Tags:
Rayne
Topics: 4
Race: Passive
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 am

That morning Ray went to receive her orders for the day and found out that it wouldn’t be the usual. Instead of running things between people, or sorting books at the library, she was scheduled to assist a Mr. Meringue. The idea of spending any extended amount of time around a Golly repulsed her. Whenever this happened, however rare the occasion, she would always end up spending the day on edge and stiff as a board. Constantly needing to keep her attitude and manners in check. The longer she was around them, the more irritated she became. Forced to bite her tongue until it practically bled. Some times it did. But in the end, without much of a choice, she agreed. It was pointless to argue. She only hoped Meringue was in a good mood.

Entering the building where she knew her assignment resided, she opened the door, approached Meringue and curtsied, making herself known but not saying anything. It was better if she stayed silent and knew that he’d prefer she stay that way. The heavy man said somethings, but all she heard were the orders for the day. A guest who liked a specific tea. The thought that this Golly only requested a Passive assistant to serve tea was irritating, but she willed her features to remain indifferent and set to work.

As the scheduled time grew near, Ray went to stand next to the door. Hand’s clasped in front of her, she kept silent and pretended she was a statue. All protocol, all practiced, all boring. Time passed slowly, but as long as she was quiet, Meringue wouldn’t have a reason to pay her any attention.

When a knock broke the relative silence, Ray let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding. Finally. Ready to get the initial entrance over with, she opened the door without hesitation. Remaining out of sight, she didn’t care to know who the guest was. They didn’t matter to her. She just needed to play her role. Once the guest was inside and sitting down, she closed the door quietly and returned to a table off to the side of the room. It stood against a wall, behind a privacy screen. The tea was nearly done. She’d, selfishly, prepared it exactly as the matrons had taught her years ago.

By the time Meringue mentioned tea, Ray was by their side with a full tray. Dressed in the usual attire of a gated Passive, but unlike her well-groomed uniform, her hair was wild and untamed. Without a word she placed a cup in front of each of them. Then a bowl of sugar and plate of sliced lemons at one end of the desk. He hadn’t specifically said that he wanted tea, but not bringing him one might have warranted a scolding. Even if he didn’t want one, the thought of wasting a good cup of tea probably wasn’t of any consequence to him. With tea served, she presented a chilled bottle of cream. Wordlessly asking if ether of them would like some with the wave of a hand.
Drezda Ecks

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:01 pm

Roalis 6. 2718
Paying attention to the lecher was important but the diplomat also couldn't look at him constantly. His lust was disgusting to her, nothing about him appealing to her. He was entirely the wrong sex for one; she could deal with men but her attraction lay with women, the more controllable, the better. There was little else going for him: he wasn't aesthetically pleasing; she found his manner irritating or off-putting; and even his smell was unpleasant to her. Thus, when the passive finally came into her field of vision, laying cups before them and trying to remain as unobtrusive as possible, Drezda found herself keeping an eye on her, subtly weighing her up. She was certainly better to look at than than the fat slob across the desk from her who was practically salivating over her exotic figure. The girl beside her was young and slim, the uniform she wore speaking of order but her hair revealing a wildness to her appearance, possibly a rebellious streak. One didn't want a rebellious streak in a passive but the Hoxian wasn't interested in her servitude; she enjoyed the look.

The fact that anyone could allow themselves to be ordered around was beyond her. Passives seemed like broken creatures and she'd long been curious about what they did to them to ensure such things; she didn't pity them but she was interested in the methods that had been used to achieve such an obedient workforce. The foreign sorcerer wished that she could break people like that.

"Tea, lovely. So kind of you to ensure I'd have just what I liked," she complimented the man, a brief glance at the young woman beside her, who was a break from the eyesore across from her. "Now, what was I saying?" she asked, letting her fingers linger on her chest as she "thought" about what they'd been talking about as if she actually could have forgotten.

She let her hand drop, turning her attention to her tea, making it the way she preferred: the barest twist of lemon offsetting the tea's natural bitterness with a note of slightly sweet sour. She stirred the cup, manoeuvring her spoon with the greatest delicacy so that it whispered against the porcelain; Meringue lacked such refinement, the sound of a spoon violently hitting and scraping the cup an unpleasant one. Still, her smile stuck.

"Ah yes, I was talking about students and Frecksat, wasn't I? A great number of Hoxian students leave my homeland to settle here, to study and work. I'm guilty of it myself as you know - I attended Brunnhold for the latter half of my education. It really is terrible that the only people to walk our institution's halls are those without the money or the talent to go elsewhere and passives, passives. No decent magical institution should have its halls run by passives. I understand that they can be just that - passive - but still to only have them within our walls..."

She reached out a hand to grab at the passive's wrist, to encircle it what would be a surprisingly strong grip if the redhead didn't pull away.

"I understand that they have their uses but... a passive just isn't the same as a true galdor. They're simply... a lack. It would be lovely to have gollymancers in our halls in good numbers. Brunnhold can't have all of them after all. Surely, it would be better to allow diversity to spread, yes? Not everyone is suited to Anaxas and Brunnhold but what if they never have the chance to try anything different?" she pointed out. "You understand that I'm offering a good service to students here and to my homeland. Sharing is good for everyone, wouldn't you agree?"

The young woman got down to business, discussing those students that were doing the best in the University right now. While Meringue talked, she allowed her gaze to wonder, allowing a brief, critical look to cross her face as she gazed at the passive's features. From time to time, she found ways to slip in different phrases - negative things about passives, humans, the racial mixing that rarely took place in her homeland - to see if she could prompt a reaction from the young woman, giving her something to do that alleviated her boredom as she went through stupid actions that fed into Meringue's desire to look at her. At least he was eating out of her hand, even if it was a dull encounter.

Drezda watched the girl, wondering how much she actually listened to and how many of these types of conversation she was present at and what she could tell her. A passive was an excellent spy, an excellent source of information, she realised. She wondered just how much spying this little one did.
Rayne

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:56 am

Ray had managed to keep herself looking uninterested, or ignorant of the things Gollys spoke about. Pretended that politics were far above her, but in truth she listened and simply kept her opinions to herself. Most of the time, if the conversation turned to something she held a strong opinion about, she would simply dismiss herself in an effort to maintain a cool head and the invisibility she felt around most Golly. In most cases it was easy. But on a day like today, where she’d been assigned and expected to stay in one place, she felt herself become a little unhinged with each venomous word. As they spilled out like vomit, Ray let her head fall forward a little, willing her hair forward with the motion. Such a small motion allowed some cover to her face. Hide what, otherwise, would have told the two how she felt. Behind the curtain of red her lips were pressed flat and she bit at the inside of her lips. Then she felt her skin burn where the female Golly dared to touch her.

Frozen where she stood, holding her breath, Ray needed to escape before she did something she’d regret. She wouldn’t dare try and pull away from the woman, lest she be accused of being rude or insolent, but maybe there was another way out. She knew, first hand, how much these people loved to manipulate those around them. Often times she, or another Passive, would be caught in the crossfire. Through watching those Passives and the Galdor at their worst, Ray had learn a little about manipulation too. Learned how she could manipulate her way out of some situations. She was still perfecting it, but it was worth practicing. Even if it backfired.

Rays eyes went from the obese man, then to the stick of a woman, noting the humorous contrast but waving the thought away. In the end, her eyes settled on the pitcher of cream she still held and an idea came to mind. Her lips twitched into a smile momentarily, catching a chuckle in her throat. If Meringue were mad enough, or better yet, embarrassed enough, maybe he’d send her away. Sure she’d be punished for it in the end, but hopefully she’d be free of the contemptible woman and the lecherous man at least.

Turning a little to watch the woman from behind her hair, Ray poured the pitcher of cream directly onto the table, closer to the woman than Meringue. On cue, as soon as the cream hit the table and started to pool, Ray let a loud gasp escape her throat then started apologizing profusely. She squirmed where she stood, but refused to pull herself free of the Gollys hand. The pool of cream was stretching toward the edge of the desk, threatening to spill over onto the floor or her lap. Ray wondered if the woman would be stubborn, or concede. If only so she could fetch a rag and clean the mess up.
Drezda Ecks

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Roalis 6, 2718
Drezda's attention was divided, not straight down the middle - the man held more of her concentration than the passive - but she still had more than a eye on Rayne. Thus, when the girl poured the cream, she could see that it was no accident. Meringue certainly thought it was, evidently not having been paying enough attention, taking the mess and her frantic apology as proof that it was an accident. If she hadn't been watching, she could easily have assumed the same because after all, why would she think that a passive would do something like that on purpose. Except that she had, the Hoxian had witnessed it. She hadn't spilled the cream; there'd be nothing near enough to her when she poured it and it had been done with a surprisingly steady hand. She hadn't been able to see the girl's face up to this point, her hair blocking it - purposely? - but she was making the appropriate noises. Drezda didn't think she was in the least bit sorry.

Instead of releasing her with the expectation that she'd scuttled off to get something to clean up, the diplomat's grip tightened. She bent her thumb inwards, allowing her to jab a nail sharply into the soft flesh and filling with a certain giddiness as she anticipated a delicious gasp of pain. The girl had done it on purpose, which meant that something had triggered her rebellious act. It wasn't clear if it was the diplomat's touch or words, or perhaps even a combination of the two, but she was going to be made stay where she was for now - unless she wanted to wrench herself out of Drezda's grasp, which was likely to lead to a slice from her carefully filed and manicured nails.

Meringue was upset, his voice gruff as he berated the girl but he made no move to do anything about the cream. Maintaining her grip on Rayne, she gathered her field, which was always so heavily-laden with Perceptive mona. However, this time, she called on her lesser focus, Living Conversation, calling the mona to respond to her will. Did it not want to see this creature put in her place? Yes, cream was no danger to her but it was the principle of the thing and the cream was a threat; it undermined her authority, was an act of rebellion and one that needed to be put down - hard.

The mona stirred, gesturing with her free hand, palm down and then scrunched into a fist to mimic what she wanted. The cream froze in place, the proteins within it thickening and tightening. An off-white residue was all that remained on the desk, the substance now more like cream cheese, a slightly moist look to it.

"Look at me, girl!" she ordered, her voice holding no expectation of meeting resistance. She gave her a slight tug, emphasising the necessity for compliance, dark eyes seeking the passives. I know what you did, her gaze seemed to say. "That wasn't very bright of you." If Rayne had made no attempt to pull free then the diplomat would release her now with a slight shove.

"I'm so sorry, Drezda. She almost soiled your dress! I'll make sure that she's suitably disciplined; they really ought to train them better," the man across from her puffed out, seeming to have swelled with indignation, his face a deep pink.

"No, no sense in that, Mist- Pleasis. You can't use discipline to remedy thickheadedness. Stupidity can't be beaten out of anyone. Perhaps she can be taught like a dog; if she makes a mess, she can have her face pressed into it. Better reinforcement perhaps that actions have consequences."

Something of her true colours had appeared, Meringue staring at her with surprise on his face, blinking stupidly at her. She smiled brightly, banishing negative emotions from her field, certain that her threats would have reached home. She knew what the girl had done and she should know that she was walking a very fine line. And Drezda was being merciful.

"Not that I'm saying we should do it, Pleasis, simply an idle suggestion, a wanton musing. No, I'm sure she can clean up the mess that she's made although I'm afraid I might have made it a bit difficult. It wasn't my intention to sully your desk, but she should get it off with enough scrubbing," she commented sweetly, suddenly seeming easygoing again. The man's demeanour relaxed.

"Now where were we before we were so rudely interrupted? Ah yes, the promising students. I assume you have a list? So I know who to approach, who might benefit most from a potential scholarship, who might blossom if given a change of scene, that sort of thing. Obviously, anyone with a proficiency for Static Conversation will benefit immensely but there are opportunities for all," she pointed out, offering a realistic pitch. He nodded, moving to check his files before he paused.

"I'll just go to the main office. I won't be more than a moment, dear," he commented, drifting to her side of the desk and laying a hand on her shoulder. He fondled it lightly, his field encroaching on her own with such shocking closeness that she wondered if he was going to try to merge. The Hoxian kept her field neutral, resisting the urge to shrink it and make it rigid. His hand and field lingered for a moment before he stepped away, exiting the office and closing the door softly behind him. She listened to his retreating footsteps for a moment before she allowed her true emotions to show, a flicker of disgust as she rolled the shoulder he'd touched, wishing she could scrub it clean of the feeling of contact with him.

The Hoxian stood, arms loosely crossed with one hand supporting the elbow of her other arm.

"I know exactly what you did. He wasn't paying enough attention but I was. What got to you girl, eh? What bulb burst in your little passive brain that made you do something very, very stupid? I'm the wrong person to have done it around in some ways but maybe I'm the best one too," she mused, eyes slightly narrowed, her expression thoughtful, calculating. "You clearly aren't suited to this - too spirited - and it's likely to get you into a lot of trouble one of these days. With some training, you could have prospects though. You might have some raw talent for subterfuge. I might be able to help you with that."

Her smile had a slightly predatory look to it, the lips stretched a little too wide, too much teeth on show and that glitter in her dark eyes... If she refused what was a perceived offer of aid then it might not go well for her but Rayne wouldn't be able to tell for sure.
Rayne

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:25 am

Ray watched in surprise as the cream curdled before her eyes. It wasn’t every day that she saw Mona at work, and she didn’t really want to see it ether. It reminded her of everything she’d lost and everything she’d never attain. The legacy that was lost in her. She managed to keep those thoughts at bay most of the time, but it was moments like this that all those feelings of disappointment and betrayal returned. It never took long for anger to replace those feeling though, and faithful as ever, it did. Rays hands turned to tight fists and burning eyes narrowed. Heart pounded and chest heaved.

When her ruse didn’t work, she stopped squirming. It was obvious that she still needed more practice. Ray knew she still had a lot to learn when it came to manipulation, but didn’t think she’d be called out so easily. She wondered if maybe it wasn’t her lack of practice, but rather, the expertise and keen sense of the woman. Failing in her efforts, she’d only made the woman angry. Evident in the vicious words that spewed from her lips and the pain of something pressing into her wrist. A nail? More like a claw. In Drezdas angry explosion, Meringue seemed nervous. It wasn’t unheard of for Golly to punish Passives for disobeying or simply out of anger, but Ray thought that Drezdas words were a little excessive.

Ray noticed Drezda catch and correct herself in front of Maringue. Her quick words seemed to have worked, but she could tell that he was still on edge when he, so uncharacteristically, offered to go and fetch the papers himself. Normally Galdor were more than willing to have the Passive fetch whatever they needed. When she watched him stand and hobble out of the building she felt her insides squirm. She didn’t want to be stuck here, alone, with such a volatile woman. It was hard to blame him though. It seemed he was eager to be free of Drezda too. She wanted to follow him badly, but only managed to mumble a few words.
“Sir, let me get that for you.” The words struggled to make it past her dry mouth and lips. He was already gone, and she was left alone.

When Ray’d had enough, she looked Drezda in the eyes yanked her arm away, letting the dagger of a nail rip through her skin and leave a crimson line in it’s wake. The sharp pain fueled the anger that had been building and threatened to loose her tongue and yell at the woman, but she held it in. Grinding her teeth instead. She’d been serving at Brunnhold long enough to know when words would make the situation worse. Holding her arm out to her side, she let blood flow in rivulets across her wrist and drip freely onto the floor. She didn’t want to get any on her uniform. Blood stained easily. She braced herself for the woman to start yelling again about the mess she was making with her own blood, but when Drezda started talking, it took Ray by surprise. She seemed less angry. More devious. What was she scheming?

Ray listened to the woman, a curious tilt to her head, but she wouldn't speak right away. Unaware of what would evoke her anger again, she wondered what sort of answer Drezda wanted. Considering her words, Ray noticed the subtle hint of an offer and wondered what sort of reply she expected. She had learned, in the short span of her visit so far, that she had a temper, but Ray wondered just how short it was. Deciding to test it, she walked away from the Golly. Back to the table she’d prepared tea on earlier. Behind a privacy screen. Once out of sight, she took one of the neatly folded clothes and draped it over her sliced forearm. Now was a good time to get herself some tea. Pouring herself a cup, she squeezed a lemon wedge into it and added a little sugar. With the opulence that all Gollys seemed to bathe in, she doubted Meringue would notice if a cups worth of tea went missing. Glancing to one side, she wondered if Drezda would tell Meringue, or if she’d earn herself another bloody wrist for such an offense as drinking a cup of tea.

Nodding to herself in determination, she turned and approached the woman again. “I believe I understand what you’re suggesting, but would you be so kind as to be a bit more direct? I’m but a lowly Passive after all." There was a little bit of a sarcastic tone to her words. "Correct me if I’m wrong, but are you offering me your services? Offering to train me away from this school?” The wound on her arm stung, and the red had soaked all the way through, but she did her best to ignore it.
Drezda Ecks

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Roalis 6, 2718
The passive had tried to make an escape in Meringue's place, desperate to throw herself into whatever task she could that would allow her to get away from Drezda. The Hoxian was faintly amused, wondering just how much fear she'd inspired in the child that she seemed to have this animal need to bolt. Hadn't she tried to get away even before the diplomat had, quite literally, gotten her claws on her?

As Rayne looked her straight in the eye before ripping her arm loose, Drezda realised that she wasn't frightened but rather spirited. Yes, she really had spotted a valuable type. Her behaviour at the moment was bordering on quite dangerous insubordination, but if she could be coaxed the right way then that fire could be used to her advantage. She tried to see things from the passive's point of view, tried to view this situation through her eyes. The Hoxian wasn't incapable of empathy, one needed it to wield Perceptive Conversation in her opinion. Empathy was emotional understanding, whereas sympathy suggested you gave a damn; empathy and caring didn't have to go together.

What was the girl's purpose here? Not in Brunnhold, obviously, because that one spoke for itself, but here, in this office today. It was Drezda's visit that had brought her but Meringue's order. The man had engaged her on a whim so he'd have someone to make tea. As passive services went, it was quite menial. The woman had her own passive servants of course but she tended to actually give them things to do. She wondered if Rayne resented being called here to do something so pointless. Quite probably.

Now the gated passive was left with a slice down her forearm, blood dribbling down the pale skin, the crimson fluid marking Drezda's manicured nail. She hadn't asked to have the reject golly's fluids on her. Still, she said nothing about it, speaking on other matters although her eyes kept coming back to the slice, the pain she'd caused that left so obvious a mark. It was fascinating really, she'd hardly flinched and then she just stood there letting her own blood coalesce into a puddle on the floor. If Meringue came back into their midst and saw this, it would be... unfortunate but something that could be explained away. Whether he'd believe the excuses she gave was another matter though; she'd seen his fright. An error. She would have to try harder.

When the servant walked away, the diplomat stared at the red puddle on the wooden floor. It was bright now but in time, it would dry and darken. She didn't think the mona would appreciate if she simply gave it a little shove to send it down through the cracks of the boards, soaking into the wood like an odd varnish. No, there was no nobility behind such a usage. The girl would have to clean it up. However, she was certain the mona would permit her to seal that gash on Rayne's arm, healing away the harm that the girl had caused to herself; after all, she'd decided to yank herself free and get cut rather than waiting until she was released.

When Rayne came back with a cup of tea, Drezda was first puzzled - for she still had her tea - and then amused when she realised that the passive had gotten it for herself. She was audacious, she'd give her that, perhaps trying to test the Hoxian as much as the Hoxian was trying to judge her worth. Yes, she seemed like someone willing to turn on her masters; she'd have to be careful that the girl didn't choose to turn on her too.

"Lowly indeed," the diplomat murmured, snorting softly through her nose as she rolled her eyes. "If you have more than simple merit then yes, I'll consider tutoring you. Away from the school. It depends on what you can do. Training you is one thing, having you in my employ... well, I'm choosy about my servants - necessarily so. Discretion is essential but it also goes both ways," she murmured, gazing pointedly at the cup that Rayne held. She could keep the passive's secrets... if she would keep her own.

"I'm a politician. Information is currency and it's more valuable than money, more valuable than sex," the Hoxian pointed out, hand raising to touch the catch at her throat at the last. "Nothing is free but information is easier for someone in your position to come by than money. If you can pass on information to me, if you can find something truly valuable, then you can guarantee I'll get you out of this place. I have strings I can pull. You want something, I want something and if I don't have to... woo certain men to get it then I don't see the problem," Drezda added with a shrug, before she wagged a finger at the girl.

"And don't think that that information is useful for you to pass on to anyone because... who will people believe? The Hoxian diplomat with a disdain for passives or the lowly passive known to have a rebellious streak?"

The woman sounded confident, even though the last part was a guess. It was admittedly an educated one based on what she'd seen, and speaking as if she was in the know was to her advantage.

"Now, come here so we can stop you dripping everywhere, shall we?"She gestured for the girl to approach. "Hold out your arm, please, and try not to move," she ordered briskly, gathering her field in a manner that even the passive was likely to pick up given her range; apparently, they could sense shifts in the mona even if they were bereft of the ability to utilise it. It sigiled, the air warming a little as the young woman frowned, words of Monite springing to her lips and spilling out with great reverence, the twisting turns of phrase navigated with great care and elegance. The Living mona still had a familiar feeling after having been used so recently, pushing the Perceptive out a little, almost smug to have a higher place today.

The first spell was a coagulation one, enough to still the blood as it thickened it in place. If Rayne didn't shift out of the way then when that spell was finished, she would move onto a spell that would stitch the flesh together, her intent enough to glue the edges together to leave a bright pink line although as it worked, it was likely to hurt, aching flesh being pulled and then itching at it knitted.

When she finally released the mona, it would be with a sigh and a slight grimace, pinching the bridge of her nose as she squeezed her eyes tightly shut for a moment. She was glad that there was some distance between here and the main office and that the records would take time to gather. Drezda wouldn't be surprised if the man was even avoiding her for a little bit, hoping that the flash of viciousness he'd seen would be gone.

"Well? What do you think of my offer, passive? Well, I can't call you 'passive' but you have me at a disadvantage there; you know my name but I don't know yours."
Last edited by Drezda Ecks on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rayne

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 am

Quietly enjoying her warm cup of tea, Ray looked relaxed enough. No sign that she was worried about the Golly sharing her little secret with Meringue. On the inside, however, she was a little surprised that the woman didn’t take it away from her like she was some child trying to enjoy a snack before dinner. The lack of response put her a little more at ease. Leaning back against the desk and crossing one ankle over another, she listened as the woman brought some very interesting things to light.

Ray wasn’t sure she agreed with the Gollys comparison of information and sex, but understood enough about the power each held. What interested her the most, however, was the idea of leaving Brunnhold. That was a hope that most Passives eventually gave up on or spent their days fuming about. She hadn’t given up on the idea yet but, over the years, had kept herself busy and distracted from thinking about it too much. She knew she was a gated Passive, but never planned on staying one forever. She’d always planned on escaping eventually. Ether on her own, or with the help of another. So while Drezda spoke about the chance of leaving Brunnhold, Rays gaze fell to the cup she held. Considering things, she moved it until the liquid turned in a slow circle.

Searching for the words, she knew she needed to be careful, but she was tired of being careful. Tired of formalities and doing what was expected of her. When Drezda paused, Ray decided to speak up. Eyes still searching her tea, the words came quietly. As if she thought somebody could have been listening in.
“It’s no secret that most Passive aren’t happy here. Forced to hold our tongues. Bend over backwards for people we don’t even like. And for what? Scraps from your table and a pat on the back.” Holding her cup still, she waited until the tea became still and she could see herself reflected back. Searching the watery image, her brows furrowed and her lips pressed flat, the corners turning down a little. “I’ve got different plans for myself. There is so much outside of this school I want to see. I don’t plan on staying here forever.” Thinking about such things put a stone in her throat. It was the only thing that held back the deeper emotions she felt. Fighting them, she tossed her head back and downed the rest of her tea. Slamming the empty cup on the desk next to her. The cloth that had been draped over her arm slid off and landed partly in the slowly drying blood.

Meeting Drezdas gaze again, she spoke with some passion. “What sort of information do you want?” It faded just as fast as it had come though. Taking a deep breath, she willed herself to calm. “Normally I’m not stuck by some snooty Gollys side, serving tea. I’m usually running packages and papers between people. Some of it rather sensitive. If there’s something specific you want, tell me. I’ll do what I can to get it. If only to be rid of this place.” Near the end her words grew quiet again, and then she stuck her arm out tentatively. Turning away, she really didn’t want to watch whatever the mona was going to do. As the skin stitched itself back together, Ray clenched her jaw. Determination and anger unavailable to help numb the pain. Through strained worlds, she gave her name. “You can call me Lyra.”
Drezda Ecks

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Roalis 6, 2718
Drezda had to keep her wits about her with this one. Even though she was a passive, she wasn't just a passive; she wasn't unimportant. She needed to treat her with the same care as she would a politician. Admittedly, the girl couldn't turn around and burn her like a politician could - she didn't have the power - but the Hoxian also couldn't afford to upset her either. The indentured servant held certain privileges, namely invisibility, and it was something that she intended to take full advantage of - once she could entrap her, of course.

"A pat on the back if you're lucky," she interjected smoothly. "I'm sure that you're lucky to receive acknowledgement for what you do, never mind praise."

It was a seed, designed to take root and blossom into further dissatisfaction. She was already miserable here - what gated passive wasn't? - but she just had to remind her how awful it could be, the injustices, the unnecessary cruelties, the dehumanisation.

"Bending over backwards for people you don't like... I'm afraid that's most of life. Having choice in the matter does ease matters though," she explained with a soft laugh, humourless. Some people managed to reach positions where they didn't have to bend over backwards or otherwise for anyone. In fact, they were the ones who had everyone bending to their will, doing everything to please. The real key to success though was appearing to bend over backwards for someone else while actually being quite self-serving. Still, she wouldn't say no to having the sort of power that ensured that she never had to do anything for another person ever again. Not that she'd ever done anything selfless in her life.

The slam of the cup was uncalled for, the diplomat displeased with the rebellious display. She shot a hard glare in the girl's direction, lips pressed together firmly before she exhaled softly through her nose and calm settled itself on her features once more. Her concentration had to be kept on her magic as she wove things back together but once it was done, she had the chance to consider how best to approach things.

"Well, Lyra, given that Meringue could be back at any moment, I'd advise cleaning up your blood from the floor." Drezda informed her, an edge to her voice that seemed to imply that it was actually an order in spite of her wording. "As for information... well, I have a particular goal that you might enjoy helping me with. I want to take away Brunnhold's power, its prestige. If it burned to the ground, all the better, but speaking realistically, I don't want it viewed as a prestigious institution anymore. If I could find out something sufficiently scandalous about it, find something that would send its reputation plummeting then I could disseminate such information. However, that's a tricky one. At the moment, I'm settling for poaching students where I can, lecturers too if I can get them."

She sipped at her tea daintily, considering her next words with care. "Those who are unhappy here, who don't like Brunnhold on a personal level, those who can be said to be going places, I want all I can on those. That sort of information. Beyond that, well, if it sounds like it could be-"

Drezda broke off abruptly as the door opened, Meringue finally making his re-entry, a bundle of official looking files in hand. His face was flushed, the man mopping at his brow with a handkerchief as he puffed his way into the room.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Drezda. I had to fish out a number of files and some of them have been shuffled around - reorganising while the students are away, you understand - but I have the information you requested right here," he explained jovially although there was a nervous twitch at the corner of his mouth as if his mouth was ready to twist downwards. He paused, staring at Rayne.

"What's the passive doing?" he asked sharply, staring at her.

"Oh, she's just cleaning up some things, nothing to worry about. She made another spill and then she pulled herself out of my grasp, so frantic to clean it and well..." The diplomat, raised her hand, nails pointing upwards. "My nails aren't good to tug against. I've healed her though and she's dealing with the mess now. Poor dear, she's very stressed. I'm sure she isn't accustomed to working with someone in your position. It must be quite frightening to work with someone so powerful when you're just a passive," she murmured, complimenting him and, if Rayne was in range, reaching out to pat her condescendingly.

The man puffed up a little. While he still seemed a little nervous, he also seemed less uneasy around the Hoxian. He settled himself down at his desk, shuffling through papers and coughing while Drezda took more delicate sips from her cup.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information