A Little Moore Conversation (Muse)

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Niamh Madden
Topics: 9
Race: Galdor
: I'm a good girl...
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Maximus
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:46 am

Ophus 3, 2718 | Evening
Laboratory Beta, Brunnhold
”Well, you can afford to put off your responsibility. Besides which male biological responsibility is rather limited. A few seconds of responsibility is a bit different than half a year of- of-”

Niamh just didn’t seem to know how to keep her mouth shut. When she was awkward and embarrassed, doubting every word that came out of her mouth, it could be torturous for her but it was safer at least. When the eldest Madden lost her temper, it was amazing what managed to leap from her tongue unhindered. The young woman only stuttered when she was angry if her passion moved too fast for her lingual system to cope with.

In the heat of the moment, the rather flippant reference to male gratification slipped out without giving her any chance to vet it first and worst still, it didn’t even slow her down. It was just one more thing to add to the catalogue of sentiments that she really wished she hadn’t expressed. When it came to things she regretted saying though, they weren’t all nasty, scathing things said in the heat of the moment. The student regretted complimenting him, possibly more than anything else that she said, mainly because in the few moments that she took to bolster his self-worth, she inadvertently betrayed her own regard for him.

The eldest Madden did think that he was a brilliant man, lacking the recognition that he rightly deserved for his talents because he had chosen a less popular course. It was courageous for him to have done so although the man didn’t seem to realise it — it simply made sense to him that it was something that should be done. It only added to the girl’s admiration for him and in truth, she had enough of it to drown in. It was a wonder that she’d kept it to herself for this long without it bursting out and even now, it was just a small portion of what she thought about Harper Moore.

Circle have mercy, the young woman couldn’t deny that her infatuation for him was deep! The fact that she’d blurted out so many lovely things made her feel horribly self-conscious because surely if everything else had somehow avoided his notice, surely he’d realise how she felt now.

Then again, maybe he was forever distracted by her total inability to keep her foot out of her mouth. She hadn’t meant to suggest that he was gay, hadn’t meant to suggest that being a bachelor could only mean that he was- that he couldn’t be-

Rumours. It was all rumour, the sort of thing that she shouldn’t be repeating even if they were true. Gay, straight, in love with his research — a likely candidate — whatever his sexuality, it wasn’t her business. And worse, she knew what it was like to have such rumours floating around about one’s sexuality and the ones about her were grossly untrue. Of course, Oísin was a mean-spirited ersehole and his friends were only too willing to spread the information around, especially as some of them had shown interest — on the sly obviously because her brother also liked to point out how unattractive she was so they couldn’t be caught doing it — and rejection had made them sour. It didn’t matter how polite Niamh tried to be about it, there were some of her male peers who had had their pride wounded by her disinterest and maybe even some of them believed the rumours they spread. After all, if she wasn’t interested in them then she must be a lesbian, right?

While the student hadn’t given any indication that she was attracted to women, she’d probably provided more than enough evidence that she shunned the advances of men, which probably did not help her case. The same was probably true for the professor and she felt awful for making reference to such petty gossip.

Then the man let out a titter of laughter, a giggle and the redhead thought that she might drop dead from embarrassment. He was taking it far better than she would have imagined but the fact that he found it amusing and that he seemed to be laughing at her was almost too much to bear. However, as he began to speak, she realised that death wouldn’t be final enough for her because surely the humiliation of this would follow her into the next life. No, she needed to drop dead and have her soul ripped apart, her essence scattered and lost as the pieces of the Circle’s divine realm had been.

“N-N-No, I wasn’t a-a-asking! Good Lady!” she blurted, a hand coming up to screen her face. She hadn’t been asking, it hadn’t been some poorly veiled question, it- Oh Circle have mercy!

What made it worse was that he kept talking and providing her with information. She ought to have been scandalised by his admittance, especially about experience because she was a girl alone and their relationship was a professional one and certainly not meant to dip into these matters. On one hand, there should be no reason why this couldn’t be discussed in an intellectual fashion, why sex and sexuality should be treated with squeamishness but on the other hand, this wasn’t a conversation that she could handle and surely, any decent woman would find it inappropriate.

You’re hardly decent given the lengths to which you went to come here and gain his attention, she pointed, the thought hardly incorrect as she had certainly come here with some sort of intent. Furthermore, she couldn’t be said to be entirely unhappy with the direction of the conversation because it confirmed that he was interested in women, which made her heart flutter excitedly, hope glowing more brightly in it. It meant that she was in with a chance. Maybe. Perhaps. She was being a daft, overly emotional schoolgirl and she was better than this but Niamh was interested in him and he was physically interested in women and she was one!

If you count as a real woman physically! her mind spat snidely, something suspiciously Oísin-like mixed in with the voice of her own self-doubt. She had to resist the urge not to look down at herself and take stock of all the physical departments in which she was lacking. If her face hadn’t been set to permanent blush, the colour might have drained away.

“Of course it shouldn’t! I mean, I-I-I’m not bothered e-e-either way. Same-sex a-a-attraction isn’t something that sh-should make anyone feel uncomfortable! Fionn is- And I’ve no issue- I wasn’t even a-a-asking, Professor, honestly!” the redhead garbled, hands twisting before her now, fingers tangling excitedly with one another.

“I wasn’t trying to- I just- Rumours are n-n-nasty things and I w-w-was trying to be sympathetic—empathetic—because everyone knows I’m a lesbian. N-N-No, not lesbian, I- No one knows b-because I’m not a- Everyone knows I’ve no interest in men, n-not that anyone has seen. I-I-I-”

Any hope of coherency was impossible if she just allowed her tongue to keep running but if she stopped it to take a breath and calm herself then that gave him a chance to process her words before she could clear up the confusion she’d created. He’d get entirely the wrong idea!

The young woman shut up with a whining groan, a hand finding her burning face before sliding up into her hair, dragging it into disarray. The gesture was so like that of Fionn’s but in her case, the chaos created was greater. Strands shifted and tangled every which way and some ended up in front of her face, the suffering Madden having a wild impulse to just throw all of it in front of her so she’d never have to risk meeting Harper Moore’s eye again.

Instead, she set about combing it into some sort of order again with her fingers, the self-conscious gesture maybe easing things for her a little because it gave her something else to focus on.

“Plenty of people think that I’m a lesbian because I-I’ve been cold towards young men who have- And my brother likes to say that I’m n-n-not very attractive so I must be- Not that that has any bearing on… on anything,” the Living Conversationalist explained frantically.

Gosh, this was going to be a birthday that Harper Moore recalled rather vividly — for all the wrong reasons.

“I just… empathise but of course, it doesn’t- It would be nice if we could be friends. O-Outside the lab,” she finished lamely.
Last edited by Niamh Madden on Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Muse
Site Admin
Topics: 99
Race: Storyteller
Character Sheet: My Office
Plot Notes: My Manifesto
Post Templates: Templates for Everyone

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

3rd of Ophus, 2718
Laboratory Beta | Evening
"A few seconds—?" It took Professor Moore a moment to follow, a flush of color rising to his stubbled cheeks despite the smile that slowly creased it's way into his expression almost simultaneously. He laughed, looking down, looking away, chewing the inside of his cheek while he processed the implications and filtered his own amused, flustered response. He didn't want to assume the young woman was merely implying coitus, but also, well, he didn't want to assume her knowledge on the subject either. It was suddenly far more strange than he'd expected, there with his cake on his birthday speaking of marital expectations for women in the Kingdom,

"—I—well—listen, I'm not sure where you've received your information, but I'd like to assure you that not every male galdor in Anaxas has decided his responsibility ends when their appetites are satisfied. N-not that I have any statistics to back that up at the moment, but I could—" He pointed with his fork and a grin, ignoring how deeply Miss Madden—still a damn student!—had made him blush to carry out such inappropriate humor, "—begads, surely I could. Getting the funding for that would be tricky, however."

It was perhaps only natural to drift from such a jab at gratification and familial attachment toward the Professor's sexuality, he supposed, and yet he wouldn't have ever guessed such a question would have at all sprung up at this moment. Harper did his best, he really did, to navigate it all. It wasn't as though students didn't have their theories, their fantasies, really, and it wasn't as though his faculty peers didn't make their comments. It wasn't as though everyone and their second cousin had attempted to set him up on a proper date, either.

"It isn't an issue of—"

"—it wouldn't matter if you—or I, really—"

He blinked, reaching one hand up to wipe a bit of laughter from the corner of his eyes, but his expression of any unexpected entertainment faltered while Niamh stumbled over words he probably didn't need to hear, pouring her own truth into a situation she hadn't intended to set alight in the first place. The monic theorist inhaled slowly and exhaled slower still, hazel eyes taking in the twisting of hands and hair, the hurt in the redhead's tone and in her face.

"—ahem."

He resettled himself carefully, "Miss Madden, I don't think you meant to seek compliments, so don't take this as a superficial sort of mandatorily assumed response. You're a lovely young woman and your brother or brothers or family or whoever says such things are clocking moony. If passive research has taught me nothing else, it's that we are so quick to insult and put down that which we don't properly understand. Clearly, even as a galdor, that same phenomenon applies. I am sorry."

Harper Moore's voice was even and honest, and he looked down again toward his hands as if he worried he'd overstepped some professional boundary completely. He swallowed and didn't look up again until Niamh quietly added how it would be nice if they could be friends outside of the lab, outside of academia, outside of expectations. He smiled, and it was almost mischievous,

"It would be nice, though if you worry over rumors now—can you even picture for a moment the wild imagination of both of our sets of peers? Perhaps for now, just because it is a little more isolated, we can be friends here in Laboratory Beta as well as professional colleagues. I won't write it in any reports, of course."
Niamh Madden
Topics: 9
Race: Galdor
: I'm a good girl...
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Maximus
Post Templates: Post Templates

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Ophus 3, 2718 | Evening
Laboratory Beta, Brunnhold
Niamh was too caught up in her passionate rhetoric to see that her flippant remark about male performance hadn’t offended or even shocked but had amused. Yes, Harper was blushing but he got some enjoyment out of it all the same. The fact that his humour persisted as he got into the topic of statistics, the professor providing some serious response even while he indulged in a bit of humour, which he presumably thought could be shared. While the man was filtering his own responses through his amusement, his words and expressions also went through a filter in the student’s brain before she registered them — dimly — and stored them in her memory. In hindsight, she wouldn’t recall that the man had taken it well or gained any entertainment from it, just that he had argued against her words and had given every indication that he thought her views childish and naive. She viewed it as one of the most awful things she’d ever said — cruel and childish and ignorant — and so she saw and heard things as she expected.

It was amazing what a mind could do when it catastrophised. Frankly, the deep set embarrassment and humiliation that soon followed burned away much of the reasonable part of her mind, leaving her unable to remember anything truly logical or sensible in the hereafter. Honestly, if she was ever able to recall anything about this day outside of accidentally declaring herself to be a lesbian then it would be a miracle, and probably one aided by a lot of painful introspection.

While she’d managed to miss the mirth before, the eldest Madden managed to find it in his gaze while she made her wholly inaccurate confession, could feel it thrumming merrily in the mona surrounding him. In a horribly eternal moment, the young woman was aware of every inch of her own foolishness and acutely aware that she wanted to blink out of existence. Frankly, if she could have self-immolated then she would have readily done so.

Despite how many words had slipped out, the Living Conversationalist now found her tongue seized, unable to utter a sound as she gazed on the professor with round, hazel eyes. There was a mix of fear and wonder in her stare, an anxious expectation as she awaited to see what he had to say after her pronouncement — corrected though it had been. Frankly, she didn’t know what to expect but she suspected that it would be awkward and carry some attempt at kindness.

The compliment that came out of him brought a glow of warmth to her features, the roundness in her gaze diminishing as she looked down demurely, a slight smile curving her lips as heat rose in her skin.

Lovely!

Did he say that because he considered her attractive or did he mean to imply that her personality was-

No, he mustn’t be talking about her personality, not when it wasn’t pertinent to the current conversation so maybe he really did- Was Harper really saying that she was lovely?

It was hardly the time but she couldn’t suppress the helpless little flutter in her belly or the excited thump of her heart that juddered her ribs. The youth couldn’t help but feel flattered at his words, flattered and overjoyed, giddy emotions mixing chaotically with adrenaline in her system. Oh it was a good thing that she hadn’t had too much cake or it might have been rather unhappy in her stomach right now. Too much excitement.

The excitement only grew, mingling further with nerves as he continued to speak, the talk of friendship and rumours driving her heart up into her throat. Outside of the lab, they couldn’t be seen to be too familiar because they would certainly cause a stir. It wouldn’t be the first thing that a faculty-student relationship had occurred and caused a scandal so it wasn’t unprecedented, of course people could reasonably assume-

“I-I-I understand. It would be inappropriate. Not that it actually would be, j-j-just seem that way,” she pointed out somewhat unnecessarily, ducking her head so that the red locks shifted and partially obscured her face. “Obviously, men and women can have perfectly normal friendships and professional relationships without- without- I swear, sexual relations doesn’t have to come into everything!” she blurted, tossing her head so that her face was cleared.

Now look! She’d managed to talk about sex without any euphemistic language and she hadn’t had to hide her face somewhere never to be seen again!

She chanced a look — an attempt at one at least — in the monic theorist’s eye as if to prove her own boldness. She was scarlet of course, and not too long ago she’d inadvertently implied that he was obviously gay and that she herself was most definitely a lesbian but now here she was able to refer to sexual intercourse rather baldly and she hadn’t gone on fire or anything! Mind you, spontaneous combustion did still feel like a distinct possibility.

“I… I would like to be friends with you though, Prof- Harper. Even if it’s only here when we’re a-alo- away from the eyes of gossiping busybodies. I suppose I’ve made something of a start although… it was honestly just meant to be cake and-and-and it was meant to be nice without any-any strenuous- It’s hardly been idle chitchat. It… it hasn’t been work though,” the young woman admitted shyly, her smile guarded and careful before growing brighter.

“I suppose I managed to take your mind off that for a little while. You need a break every now and again, you know. If I… If I may be so bold in saying so. And it’s a special occasion at that. If you can’t relax a little on your birthday then when can you?”

This was the perfect time for the redhead to leave, especially as she hadn’t said anything desperately embarrassing for a minute at least and she wasn’t sure that she could maintain that record if she remained. Besides, she’d hardly contributed a relaxing environment with her spirit of debate and her mortifying remarks. At least if she left now, the man could enjoy his cake—and there’d always be more to indulge in at a later time— and she could get out away while her cheeks were actually managing to cool.

Brushing off her skirt, the youth tried to compose herself somewhat so she seemed like the adult she was supposed to be—in terms of age anyway.

“Do try to enjoy your birthday somewhat, Harper. It comes but one day a year and your work will be here for all the rest of them,” Niamh pointed our sagely (she hoped), opening the door to facilitate her exit. It was all she intended to say beyond goodbye but her mind had other ideas, some small niggle that made her mouth open to allow more words to leave than a simple parting platitude.

“I really… I really don’t do this for the credit, Professor. I believe in you,” she admitted, feeling her blush renewed.

“Goodbye, Harper. And many happy returns.”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information