[Closed] An Encounter in the Cloister

First Impressions!

Open for Play
The Six Kingdom's most prestigious university and the de facto cultural capital of Anaxas.

The Stacks | Ghost Town | Muffey

Melody
Topics: 6
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Saffron
Post Templates: Post Templates

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 am

17 of Intas, 2719
The Cloister, Brunnhold
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Note : This thread was written using a google document for collaboration. As such the players have only acted upon their own characters, irrespective of who authors a given post.

For posts by me, Melody is the default colour, Eirik's written like thus.

MMelody stopped at the entrance to the Cloister and looked about for a free space. There were not many students in the courtyard at this time, but many of the alcoves were occupied by small groups of students. There were even a few students working by themselves. It was a more public space than the Gyre, more social, and she couldn’t decide if it was a good thing or not. I wouldn’t know till I try it.. I hope this can be a good place to practice..

She noticed a small alcove a short distance away, which seemed to be occupied by only a lone student. That one may work, the space seems big enough for two students.. She walked to her chosen side of the alcove, placed her bag against the wall. The bag contained her primary grimoire, her static theory books and miscellaneous supplies, and some other material she’d use to practice static. She allowed her field to expand a little to politely caprise the other occupant’s even as she took out her supplies, and turned around.

Deep within the Church of the Moon, Eirik Maste allowed his field to branch forth. The Cloister, while secular in appearance, had the unmistakable sensation, an eternal spell woven along its walls. Within, there was a sense of safety, the mona laden with a calm that the fifth-form student could hardly ever attribute to himself. He took a breath as he passed by the few students within, allowing his attention to fixate on a space to call his own. In the air, the young galdor felt the different breeds of mona, though he abstained from shifting his attentions too much lest he lose his nerve and become distracted. Allowing his field to pull back towards himself, he then sought to clear his thoughts, his eyes falling shut as he allowed stray thought to fall by the wayside. I’m here for a reason, he reminded himself, his breath slow and heavy as he crossed his legs underneath him.

Oh! Melody couldn’t stop the soft exhalation as she had her first look at the seated Gioran student, the field’s touch simultaneously informing her of the high concentration of static in the other student’s field. She wasn’t sure she would have judged the age correctly, the lad was almost gaunt, but looking closer at his face, she thought she recognised him. He seemed to be one of those students who were duelling a few ten-days back… The boy’s concentration must have been total, to have not noticed her field yet, and she didn’t want to be rude and begin with her own exercises without a greeting of some sort. Yet distracting someone concentrating on monite wasn’t just rude, it was idiotic. Melody settled for slightly flexing her field in warning and began to draw her own spell circle as she waited for acknowledgement.

The slight shift in the movement of the mona around the Gioran alerted him to the presence long before he opened his eyes. Fields were difficult to ignore, but while the relationship the Gioran had with the mona was young and immature, he certainly understood the nature of patience. He took another breath as he raised his hands, sweeping his arms in a circular motion. Fingertips extended as he began to speak. His soft tones carrying the Monite and beseeching the particles in his vicinity to act on his behalf. Sparks formed directly in front of the young galdor, the syllables drawn out as if carried in song. The sparks appeared more readily until they formed into flame, carried by the air and fed with oxygen. At last he reached what he desired, and continued to feed the fire with the upkeep of his spell. Two minutes later, the flame persisted, suspended in mid-air until the boy willed for it to cease. He opened his eyes, surprised to find that the older student lingered before him. He didn’t recognize the other galdor, but it wasn’t so difficult for him to imagine that.

She looked several years his elder, but by the recognition he felt in her field, perhaps she knew him somehow? Curiosity bled into the young galdor’s presence, stretching forth in his flexed field before he drew back. Soft laughter escaped his lips as he leaned back, pushing his hands behind him and leaning his weight on his arms. “May I help you?” he asked, his words smooth, with little to yield from his tone but the curiosity he allowed to flow from his field. The galdor took the opportunity to look around him, sweeping his grimoire into his lap as pink irises combed the floor. His rucksack was directly beside him, the strap slung over his left knee and his coat set where his hands supported his weight.

Finished with her circle Melody seated herself on the floor, easily falling into the cross legged stance she favoured for concerted practice or meditation. She sat facing the boy, for on closer observation he did seem younger than her, and began with some basic breathing exercises. She always felt that it aided her focus and since it worked for her, who was to say nay even if it was a bit unorthodox. She saw the slow bloom of a flame held mid air in front of the boy and the controlled way the boy put it out. This wasn’t a fumbling attempt by any means. Melody took from the supplies heaped nearby a small brick of lightly blue tinted glass, and had just drawn breath when the boy opened his eyes.

”Hello,” Melody didn’t exactly smile but her expression was open, ”Would it be okay for me to practice here? She cocked her head slightly before going on, ”I’m working on my Static exercises as well.. “

“The space isn’t mine to give out, is it?” he asked in turn. The elder student surprised Eirik. There was no smile on her face, but her tone led him to believe her friendlier than some of the other students he’d had the misfortune of crossing paths with. He allowed his field to caprise hers. Pink irises shifted as the younger sorcerer sought the other’s gaze. The Gioran chuckled softly. Always, he was tense, for the environment was often hostile. In this moment, however, the teenager was at ease. Beseeching the mona to act on his suggestion always brought that ease into further light, and he allowed himself to delve deeper. The particles around Melody were rife with Static as well, though a cursory understanding had him suspecting that she had other magic at her disposal as well. He could feel the electric twang of Static, so utterly familiar and welcome.

He chuckled, lifting his eyebrows in surprise as he asked her, “Are you always asking students to work in similar spaces with them? There’s plenty of space here and yet... “ he trailed off, humming in thought before he completed his inquiry,

“You chose this one. Of course, I don’t mind! It’s a pleasure to work with those with similar academic interests. A pleasure I’m too often without, I’m afraid.”

Melody was expecting the Gioran would either simply nod, granting permission, or be brusque and tell her, politely or not, to go elsewhere. She hadn’t expected the length of the response, though it wasn't as if she was upset with that. As a new student, every conversation with a fellow student was an input, helping her to get a better idea of the pulse of Brunnhold as she thought of it as. She waited till the student finished, then offered with a small smile and a nod ”I’m Melody, 9th year, transfer student.” she took a quick glance at the rest of the cloister, her smile turning slightly rueful as it met the younger student’s eyes again. ”It’s always better to be polite, especially when you are unsure of the expected behaviour norms...

The boy had raised a good point, why had she subconsciously chosen to work in an alcove where someone already was working rather than in a totally unoccupied one? ”I think, “ looking down to gather her thoughts for a second, she again glanced up. ”A single student is apt to be overcrowded if a group of students join in, assuming this place gets more crowded a little later in the evening as more classes are let off.. Two students, are less likely to be crowded out while still having more than enough space to work independently."

She gave a quick self mocking grin then admitted in a lower voice, ”Also, when you are trying something with mona that you are not dead sure you can do almost by rote, it’s better to have someone nearby who can spot you, even if subconsciously.”
Last edited by Melody on Thu May 16, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Eirik Maste
Topics: 8
Character Sheet: CS
Plot Notes: Grumpy Scribbles
Writer: Mythic
Post Templates: Codes

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:39 am

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Note : This thread was written using a google document for collaboration. As such the players have only acted upon their own characters, irrespective of who authors a given post.

Erik is the default black, Melody's written like thus.
Eirik was quite pleased with her answer. An introduction, not asked for but welcome, was the proper form. Civility between students was an expectation and yet Eirik Maste was seldom the recipient of such expected behavior. It was a refreshing thing, particularly from a ‘transfer student’. A 9th year? he mused, his mind drifting to Ezre and Lilanee, other 9th form students who used the terminology as such. The boy didn’t speak, allowing her to answer in full without interruption. She trailed off more than once, and her assessment of the crowd that might form brought another chuckle from the younger student. “It’s true. The Lawn is usually used for classes… and no one in their right mind would go there with the weather as it is,” he mused when at last she finished. He’d address her thoughts one at a time, doing nothing to comment on the fragmented speech and how she jumped from topic to topic. Eirik was, in truth, glad to have someone to talk to at all.

“Understandable. I don’t necessarily agree, seeing as,” he pointed, looking to the proctor who hovered from alcove to alcove, making sure that the students in practice didn’t blow themselves up. “There’s always someone here. However, if you’re new… then you might not have noticed?” The younger galdor allowed his voice to suffuse with a chiding tone, his lips curved into a true smile as he decided to introduce himself at last. “I’m Eirik, Melody. Fifth form. It’s very nice to meet you.” The younger student allowed his field to draw back at last, quite sure that he’d extended too far for far too long. Instead, he allowed his eyes to act as his medium for taking in information. Pink irises lowered to find her hands closed around a solid brick of bluish glass. He took a second look before he switched his gaze to meet Melody’s. “What’s that?” he asked, pointing to the brick of glass before he shifted. The boy’s arms began to ache from the posture, and he sat upright instead.

Fifth Form! That was some good casting and control for a 5th year.. Melody was impressed but she wouldn’t want to draw attention to that and perhaps embarrass the lad. He must have been made much of by his teachers for that skill already.. ”Ah.. I hadn’t noticed the proctor.” Melody agreed easily enough, privately a little taken aback at the chiding tone but it wasn’t something to get offended over. ”Likewise!” she agreed with another nod at Eirik..

At Eirik’s question, she looked down and smiled, ”It’s to help me practice my phase shift exercises.. “ She looked up again, noticing that Eirik didn’t seem to mind a longer explanation. ”It’s basically tinted glass, to make it easier to see, but the main thing is it’s been specially made for practice and doesn’t take forever to melt, and it’s fairly malleable too. I like to use it for practicing with phase shift spells...” She trailed off, her voice having a slightly questioning lilt by the end. From the ignition spell example she had seen, she thought the boy must be roughly at her level, and the exercise she wanted to do was basically for practicing accuracy and speed of casting.

For phase shifting? The answer was satisfactory, but Eirik had never thought to bring an object with him for that purpose. The Gioran often practiced on his own, with his instruction with Professor Dublin Phore rather short-lived. Less than a fortnight into the form, the galdor’s class schedule needed shifting, his own fault for being overzealous in the time he was informed that he’d be taking his focus early. He formed a smile before he began a low chant in Monite. The Static mona around Eirik’s palms pulled the moisture from the air. He closed his eyes, intermingling small breaths with the chant as the particles gathered together. Liquid materialized from the air itself, forming a ball in mid-air before he gestured to the tiny orb.

“I’ve always used ambient moisture…” he mused. However, perhaps her method was better. At the very least, it conserved effort. He considered the matter as he then beseeched the mona to interact with the globe of water. The molecules slowed, freezing together into a globe of ice that fell into his hands. He chuckled aloud and tossed the ice ball into the air before he caught it in his palm. “What does liquid glass look like?” he wondered aloud.

Melody

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:45 am

17 of Intas, 2719
The Cloister, Brunnhold

Melody watched the globule of water coalesce with an evaluatory air, it was deftly done too, as was the freezing of it. The monite conversation was endlessly powerful, various phrases describing the precise actions that the mona were requested to perform. Melody couldn’t help the answering chuckle at Eirik’s clearly evident joy in a cast performed well and at his question she answered with a broad gesture indicating him to watch.

A deep breath to centre her and to reach for the mona that swirled around her. Warmth and security flooded through the link, and her field subtly warmed in response. She began with the monite clause defining the glass brick, and added the physical clause that allowed the glass to defy gravity and slowly rise and hover mid-air halfway between the two students. The upkeep clause allowed her to neatly finish the casting while allowing the glass brick to remain suspended. The ‘hover’ component was one of those useful spells that every galdori student learned, irrespective of their focus.

The next step involved changing the glass to its liquid form. Phase shift was something that required patience, over and above the usual concentration. She closed her eyes, briefly reviewed the monite spell construction in her mind, and let the long string of complicated monite spill forth in a low voice. She could feel the hum of the static mona in her bones as the spell began to take effect. Almost imperceptibly at first, but more noticeably with every second, the brick lost its shape. She breathed in the slight smell of char on the air and opened her eyes to see the orb of liquid glass hanging a few feet away.

Her eyes shone, every time a spell went well, it made her appreciate the mona anew. With a further gesture and another stream of monite the orb slowly separated into two equal sized balls. It was slightly easier after that to refreeze the glass to its original solid phase and finally the two glass balls floated gently down to the ground.

”There you go!” She gestured at the ball nearer to Eirik, ”It’s a lot of fun to combine phase shift with physical forces, glass deforms like clay but you need to sync it well with the phase shift aspect.” She gestured towards the balls and smiled at Eirik ”This is supposed to help us improve our control... If you like you are welcome to practice with one of these.” and she gave a smile clearly meant to encourage Eirik to take advantage of the well-meant offer.

Talent could only carry a sorcerer so far. While the Gioran demonstrated exemplary receptivity to the mona and a knack for the casting of Static spells, there were means and methods that only time could grant to a practitioner. Immature in his relationship with the mona, Eirik Maste was taken by surprise when he listened to the complicated sequence that Melody uttered in Monite. She applied pressure to shift the phases rather than truly melting the glass, moulding it into a liquid that he was quite certain would still burn his skin if ever tried to touch in mid-air.

Magic called to the young galdor in a way that nothing else could. History, biology… they bored him terribly, and he certainly didn’t give his all in the subjects. However, Monite and the theories of the mona itself… those aroused his attention and kept his thoughts busy throughout the day and well into the night. Sleeplessness was common in the Gioran’s history, and certainly, the indulgence in the arcane didn’t make the matter easier, but he relegated such thoughts and conventions to the void as he listened to Melody’s long, carefully measured sequences in Monite. Then, the galdor looked to his rucksack, pulling it closer to him and retrieving his grimoire. A sharp memory had him uttering the spell under his breath, and he quickly wrote down the lengthy sequence, compiling it after hearing it only once. He finished writing as the elder student finished speaking to the mona. When she spoke to him, he grasped at the small globe and allowed the material to coast along his fingertips before he pursed his lips in thought.

“I’ve done all sorts of study on my own, but Professor Phore pawned me off to Professor Sonfield before I could sit through some of the more intricate lessons with Static conversation. It’s my first form in these classes, you know,” he told her, as if excusing his ignorance with the short passage of time. The mona was fickle by its nature, but Eirik Maste found himself delving deeper and farther than he supposed his instructors anticipated. Challenges are clearly more important than preparation, he thought, letting the smile wilt from his features before compiling his countenance into utter concentration. Eirik Maste looked down at his opened grimoire, the freshly inked page melding with his understanding of Monite. And so, the boy made his adjustments. He inquired to the mona, asking it to lift the globule of glass into the air.

Rather than utilizing pressure as she did, he allowed the familiar heat to blister within the glass. The orb glowed with the uptick in temperature, slowly losing its integrity. The solid form wilted, flattening as he uttered his edited sequences of Monite before lifting the molten glass into the air. He willed the molten glass to bend, forming one long ‘rope’ of liquid before ‘tying’ the ends together. Then, he willed the molten particles to slow. Bit by bit, the glass grew rigid with the change and a solid loop of glass fell into Eirik’s hand. Still warm from the drastic shift in temperature, Eirik spun the glass form with his wrist, holding it up for Melody to scrutinize.

Looking deeper into the glass, however, Eirik noticed the inconsistencies. The beauty of the glass orb was lost, the taxed particles marred with poor crystallization and fragile to the touch, far moreso than the already fragile material was bound to. The glass splintered with the motions, embedding itself into the young galdor’s wrist. A wince of pain followed by his trembling wrist bit back at him, and he immediately sought to clamp down on the limb before reason took the prevailing head. Blood flowed along the limb and stained the fabric of his sleeve, the shiver coursing along his arm. Despite the pain, he laughed, watching the ruby liquid with intrigue in his pink gaze.

“There’s no trial without error, I suppose?” he thought aloud before he added,

“Maybe I should go to the infirmary, though?”

Melody listened as Eirik explained about his class situation and felt a bubble of apprehension bloom in her stomach. The unformed feeling that she had miscalculated grew stronger as he looked at his grimoire and she had a sudden suspicion that he had noted down her exercise verbatim. An impressive feat to be sure, but she wasn’t sure how she felt about it yet. Even though the spells were public, the specific combinations and flavours were very much a matter of personal style. Possibly, it was the very blatancy of the action that surprised and discomfited her. But there was no time to dwell on that or any other feeling for things were moving all too quickly..

He isn’t used to working with glass.. Melody’s dismay grew, he even said he’s used to working with ambient moisture. At least he had sense enough to stick to heat manipulation which he must know well.. Yet she could hardly interrupt now, all she could do was to mentally revise various clauses that might be useful if the glass shattered from uneven heating or cooling..

Yet almost miraculously, Eirik managed to finish his exercise to the end, ending with a torus like glass shape in his hand. Melody let out a breath in relief, and then the boy spun the already stressed glass, which shattered within the next few seconds. Before Melody could use the shielding spells, the boy’s wrist was already flecked by cuts. Melody began cursing in her mind even as she rushed to Eirik’s side, though not a single syllable escaped her tightly pressed lips.

The time for politeness was clearly past, and she took hold of the injured hand, and carefully extended it away from the boy’s body in an effort to judge the damage. Absently she heard him saying something about trials and infirmary but her attention was too busy cataloguing the worst of the injuries to pay much attention.

As soon as Eirik stopped for a breath she began ”It’s not too bad, don’t worry. You need to hold still though.” There was a subtle authority in the very calmness of her tone. It’s a good thing he’s already sitting down It was also a good thing the injury was simple enough to tackle by someone without living conversation as their focus.

A few seconds thought allowed her to recall the appropriate clauses and the mona almost eagerly eased out the glass shards embedded in the boy’s parchment white skin. Touching the wrist made working with the living matter a lot easier for Melody, and thankfully it was a simple matter of entreating the mona to repair the damage caused by the glass, the anaesthetic part of it aimed at reducing some of the pain involved. The last cut to close was the one in the vein but nevertheless it was all done before the proctor made his rounds to their section of the alcoves. It was a good thing that living conversation worked better on another person than it did on yourself. If the glass had hit her, she couldn’t have done much.. Or if a particle had impacted into the eyes.. She shuddered minutely.

”There. That should hold you.” Melody relinquished her hold and scooted back a few steps, initiating another spell to collect all the minute shards of glass into one heap, simultaneously melting that into a single blob. Focusing on what needed to be done was good because it helped her control the desire to really lay into this utterly irresponsible example of a student. Well at least the glass cleanup was basic enough, she had shattered glass herself a fair number of times in the beginning. With that thought her ire began to cool somewhat and she finally looked at Eirik again.

”Well it could have been worse. Your wrist will still be tender, and if it feels off, you should still visit the infirmary.” And she made herself stop right there. She was hardly blameless, she had blithely handed something to a younger student without even checking if they were familiar with it. She may be a decent researcher material as per her various professors, but she clearly wasn’t good teacher material. Yet Eirik did need someone to explain the utterly serious need to be careful with his experiments… She kept looking at Eirik torn between being the responsible senior and the irritated one. The whole incident had shaken Melody a bit more than she had expected, and it showed in the quickly shifting emotions of her eyes.
Eirik Maste

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:56 am

17th of Intas, 2719
To Eirik Maste, Conversation was the beauty of the sorcerer’s practice. The mona was no tool, to be willed into action at the whims of a sorcerer. No, it was asked and Conversation formed from the mannerism and nature of the sorcerer. Those who disrespected the mona might not have their work come to fruition at all. Those that turned their relationship with it sour and cold found their magic ineffective. The sentience around them was an amoral, but intelligent thing, and it was every bit of pleasure for the young sorcerer to lift the tilt of his voice, to bring out the placating and gentle notes of his soft tunes to the placating of the particles. The mona was an ally to the young sorcerer, and he knew that many in his older classes couldn’t quite say the same. Pride welled within him as he completed his spell, to find it successful but lacking in the finer qualities of description that came with experience. Even when Eirik Maste saw the gashes in his wrist, he didn’t panic or blame the mona for his mistakes.

Everything is a learning experience, he reasoned as he took some considerations to the spell he’d recited and made adjustments to. Then, before he could rise and leave Melody for the infirmary, she took hold of his arm. The anesthetic component of her spell set to task, and the numbness travelled along his wrist until he could feel the pain of it no longer. The boy took a breath as the shards were pulled from his exposed flesh. Then, little by little, the wounds began to shut, leaving thick red lines along his skin to match the countless others that laced the back of his hands. It was clear that the child wasn’t new to pain, and he seemed amused rather than alarmed. The boy looked to Melody with gratitude marked on his normally somber expression. He looked to the shattered glass, some of it bloodied some of it not, and he shrugged his shoulders in acceptance of what had transpired.

The boy hummed in thought before he shifted his expression to the blob she’d formed after treating him. The glass was harmless now, and the student in front of him had an excellent opportunity to work with elements at a practical level. Was there truly such a reason to suffer for it? Eirik allowed his shoulders to relax, and he took a staggered breath before he at last answered her,

“As far as I’m concerned… that went brilliantly. The crystallization of the glass was shoddy, but that was my negligence more so than anything else! Making micro-adjustments to spells and their composition is the very reason for having a grimoire in the first place, isn’t it? A bit of pain never hurt anyone forever. And, speaking plainly, it’s not the worst I’ve had to deal with,” he adds, the somberness finally allowed to seep into his words. The boy immediately looked away from Melody, towards the glass orb that he pulled back towards him with a simple, playful syllable in Monite.

Melody hummed in response to Eirik’s summation of his efforts and the situation. No Hoxian student would have been so voluble at any time, but the boy was honest enough to admit to at least negligence on his part. Yet something about the boy’s.. unconcern about getting injured, made her uneasy. “... speaking plainly, it’s not the worst I’ve had to deal with...”. That didn’t sound like something that should be ignored, but was it permissible to draw attention to it for her? She and Eirik were essentially strangers, and if this had been Frecksat, she would never have even considered interfering since it would immediately have branded her as one of the ‘uncivilized’ foreigners. Yet this was Brunnhold...

Eirik traversed his digits along the surface and peered into the glass orb. If he looked very closely, he could see the red mottled deep within the transparent space, and a curve caught onto his features.

“These indulgences can get a bit dangerous. Scolding oneself over each and every mistake isn’t going to make a better sorcerer out of anyone.”

Melody pushed a tendril of hair behind her ears and looked at the blob consideringly, even as she caprised Eirik’s field with more detail. She wanted to reach out to the boy, she got the feeling it would be the right thing to do, but she was the sort who rarely acted without at least trying to get as much information about the situation beforehand as possible.. To add to that, she wasn’t really used to reaching out first.. Eirik’s field was fairly calm beneath the ever present snap and static of static, the feel of emotions too mild to be much noticeable by the girl. Mentally shrugging, Melody decided to take the plunge.

Scolding oneself isn’t.” She scooted back a little farther, and rearranged herself to be more comfortable. ”Practicing and being comfortable with variations in casting would make almost anyone better though. She paused to give Eirik a chance to reply.

Confusion set into the boy’s field as he listened to Melody’s answer. Was she scolding him? Melody’s tone was difficult to ascertain, and her words seemed in conflict with what she meant to say. Obviously, he mused, raising a hand to brush along his own jawline as thought muddled the boy’s expression.

“That’s… what I’m doing?” he answered her at last, unsure of how to proceed.

Melody nodded. Eirik’s confusion was very evident, perhaps it was time for her to be less concerned with being polite and only *hinting* at her concerns. ”Look Eirik,” She leaned slightly forward and met the younger student’s eyes directly, trying her best to convey sincerity and concern. ”You impressed me today. Not many can hear a long exercise for the first time, figure out its components, modify them and even think about replicating the whole bit. You clearly have the talent, and you’ve developed a good relationship with the mona. Yet..” Melody paused for a second, ”I get the feeling that you do not hold getting injured in the course of practice to be a big thing… This is.. troubling...“

She shook her head in negation and continued, ”I’m not saying sorcerers can afford to be wimps when it comes to developing their expertise, but someone who doesn’t learn caution soon enough, is someone who is more likely to experience backlash. They are someone who are likely to hurt someone else worse than they ever meant to..” Melody’s eyes darkened with remembered shadows, ”Regrets are a difficult thing to live with…”

A vigorous shake of the head and an attempt at a bright smile dispelled that train of thought and she continued, “Besides, you are too bright to let such an obvious gap remain in your casting.. The glass could have shattered differently you know, it could have scored me, or a splinter could have hit either of us in the eye.. You understand?”

She hoped the boy did, a little, though she didn’t hope for much. Kids rarely did, especially males his age.

This is troubling…

As Eirik Maste listened to the elder student voice her concerns, the feelings within were a maelstrom he didn’t quite understand. If he picked them out, one by one, he’d find some measure of gratitude, gentle reminders to consider his own (and others’) safety along with the expression of Melody’s astonishment at his level of proficiency relative to his age. Over and over, Professor Phore had told Eirik he was gifted. Over and over, his other instructors had told him the same. But, being told of one’s talents by the adults that presided over them… didn’t quite hold the weight it did when a contemporary did it. Particularly, a girl several years older.

The pride held itself within Eirik’s field as he weighed the repercussions of her words, his arms risen to cross over his shoulders. The wrist that’d split open from his earlier efforts was red and aching, the innards still fresh from the injuries. However, he held the pain at an arm’s length as he answered the elder sorcerer in full,

“Injuring myself is just a step in the process. Being safe is important, sure, but are you insinuating that I’d put my fellows in harm’s way?” Offense threw itself about in Eirik’s mind, being complimented and belittled in the same breath had him defensive as to what other double-edged praised she might be capable of. In his field, the wax was obvious, his feelings running hot as he shifted back, lifting his body before pushing off to create some distance between himself and Melody.

“I… I’ve hurt people with magic before. But, it’s only after they’ve done it to me. The mona… the way it works, I’ve got the tools needed to do what I want with it. I… I won’t hurt people who don’t deserve it,” he affirmed, speaking more to himself than he was to her. Melody’s advice was a blade of doubt, one he insisted shouldn’t be an issue for him.

But is it?

Melody

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:03 am

17 of Intas, 2719
The Cloister, Brunnhold

The first statement out of Eirik’s mouth convinced Melody that this was going to be one of those times. The.. child wasn’t willing to listen. She thought of mentally giving up there and then, after all it wasn’t any of her business. She could just make sure to not practice near him if his lack of safety consciousness kept bothering her.. But unfortunately, she felt a smidgeon of responsibility. Some folks learn better through example.. She reasoned to herself, perhaps in an attempt to justify the burst of impetuousness Eirik’s defensive denial had endangered.

So even as she kept listening to Eirik, she reached back and unscrewed her water bottle, keeping it nearby; she needed an easily available water source. Melody preferred to work with existing materials whenever possible. If she had to draw out moisture, it added an easily avoidable expenditure of energy, unless the drawing out itself was the bit she wanted to practice. Once Eirik finished she nodded at him affably enough, ”Sure kid. If you say so.”

She looked away, pretending she was done with the conversation, and chanted a string of monite at a low volume asking the physical mona’s help in moving the water in the bottle up in to the air. This wasn’t a frivolous use of magic, this may not be conquest, but learning and teaching was something the circle gods allowed. Vespe, the Lady of Wisdom would approve, Melody felt.

The water in the bottle obligingly streamed up, then split into three distinct blobs. The ensuing entreaty to the static mona was also successful and the water slowly froze. The casting had been fairly quick though clear and unhurried and Melody hadn’t skimped on the parts that entreated and cajoled the mona into cooperating with her cast. As the blobs started moving lazily around the two of them, she looked back at Eirik over a shoulder, ”Save us! Then a single sharp phrase of monite shredded the frozen water and splinters of ice, small and big, filled the air in an icy explosion.

Sure, kid. If you say so.

Being treated like a child by the professors was one thing, and certainly something Eirik Maste despised. But being treated like a child and essentially brushed off by a fellow student was much more irritating. Regardless of Melody’s affable tone, she seemed flippant in her dismissal of his admissions, causing the tempers that always threatened to inflame the young Eirik to pile higher and higher. Fingers clenched into fists as he began to shuffle, as if to rise to his feet. However, then Melody raised her water bottle, unscrewing it and immediately a low chant began to pool from her lips. Static mona began to coalesce at her behest, the particles within the water bottle shifting until the water defied gravity.

Melody disguised her spellwork by lowering the volume, but the swell of her field as she entreated the mona to follow her indications was obvious. The movement of the mona incited the movement of the liquid, and he felt the shift of Static mona as the particles slowed and their temperature lowered until orbs of ice formed outside of the water bottle. Then, the older student entreated the orbs to burst, and while she readied her warning ahead of time, him he was already prepared for the ensuing chaos. As the ice began to rupture, Eirik was already beginning his utterances in Monite. The Gioran’s spellcraft was quick, and he went with what he knew in his effort to preserve his efforts. Melody was proving herself capricious, preaching one thing then following it up with contradiction, and the Maste child noticed the shift in the mona in turn.

He felt the ice wither into liquid, raining down on the Maste in a pleasant breeze of mist. On the other hand, the shift wasn’t so stark on the ice that fell upon Melody. Her explosion turned to hail, freckles of ice fallen down upon her. When it was determined that he was safe from harm, he quickly rose to his feet.

“What the clock was that about?!”

Melody calmly brushed away the ice from her arms and the front of her uniform, grateful that she didn’t need to bleed to prove anything, to herself or the kid. She remained seated and looked up at the tall gioran, and unexpectedly, unreasoningly, felt a smile bloom on her face. ”That was a small demonstration.” Calmly she stood up and bowed lightly to the younger student. ”I apologise for choosing a mildly risky one, though ice ought to be safe enough for students at our level. Yet consider that throughout this, “ Melody waved around, her voice having lost much of its earlier passion, though not all the warmth.

”You knew roughly what was coming, you were asked to save the both of us, and yet..” Mutely and dismissively she gestured at the melting ice pebbles that lay around her feet. ”There was not even a twentieth of this much warning when the glass shattered.”

She paused for a deep breath. ”It’s up to you to actually learn caution or not, I just wanted to show you that there can be many things that happen out of the sorcerer’s control, but I may have been too presumptuous.” She nodded at Eirik again, cooly waiting to see whether her explanation would have any effect. In either case she was done, at peace in her own mind. No disquietude about an unfulfilled responsibility disturbed her and this surety of purpose would likely not be difficult to glean from her field. The other student’s field though felt streaked with feelings of outrage and perhaps lingering confusion…
Eirik Maste

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:05 am

17th of Intas, 2719
The gall on this one!

Eirik Maste was livid, as Melody proved herself to be a hypocrite in his eyes. She lectured him on the bad habits of putting oneself into danger, then proceeded to do the exact same thing! He shook his head. The emotion was rife within his aura, the utter surprise of it all. In all of his time in Brunnhold, he’d had passives watching over him, then professors guided him as he turned of age for schooling. But never had another galdori child ever chided him in this way. Rather than shout out his discontent, however, the irony of it all had the boy throw himself out in laughter. Pink irises were shelved from sight as the laughter stopped him from leaving her entirely.

”Thanks, mom, he answered at last. However, deep within his field, if Melody continued to caprise, there seemed a sense of comfort. The snark rose up within him, shielding him from the sudden warmth he felt in his chest.And certainly, Melody couldn’t be made privy to how she was wedging conflict into his mind. His laughter was gone, and he pointedly looked away from the elder student before he made his way out of the alcove the two claimed for their own.

Heard your lesson loud and clear. Now that I’ve got sooo much to think about… I’ll be headed home.” The younger galdor’s bed in Doxeter was very close by, but he knew his night wasn’t over quite yet. Eirik Maste dealt with his stress the same way he dealt with his physical frailties… by thinking about something else. He left the Cloister in a huff, curious to see if the cold left the Lawn with no one to bother him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brunnhold”

• Information