[PM to Join] A New Suit

Jean pays a visit to Feldspar Tailoring, in need of a new suit for the new season.

Open for Play
Brunnhold's college town, located inside the university grounds.

Genevieve De Silver
Topics: 11
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:42 pm

19th of Yaris 2719, early afternoon
It was sixteen o’clock and the streets of the Stacks were busy, it was a fine day and Jean De Silver had a smile on his lean handsome face as he walked. He was glad it was finally nines, another week done and now he was free.
He had less and less patience for frocks and feminine manners, and yet he needed a solution.

Jean had decided to treat himself to a new suit, and a number of his friends had recommended a shop in the Stacks Feldspar Tailoring- Bespoke apparel.

He had asked her manservant Cadoc what he knew of the place and he had said.

“Aye, it’s a fine place sir. Ran by a young Tsat gent called Juniper Felspar, he’s good at his trade by all accounts.”

That had been enough for Jean, today he wore a bottle green frock coat over grey pinstriped trousers, a high collared waistcoat of burgundy silk a white shirt and black cravat. A silver watch chain glinted against the rich burgundy of the waistcoat, matched by the silver buttons on the frock coat and the silver and emerald signet ring on his left hand. His short hair was lightly oiled and swept back. He was glad he had gotten directions from Cadoc, the small shop was tucked away down an alley so would have walked right past otherwise.

The sign that hung outside made her smile, it was beautifully made and that to him, spoke well of the shop’s proprietor.

Jean entered the old but very well kept shop, a broad smile across his face, as his eyes adjusted to the light he said.

“Good afternoon, I’m looking for Mr Felspar.”

Tags:
Juniper Feldspar
Topics: 10
Race: Wick
Writer: Foxing

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Feldspar Tailoring
☙ 19th of Yaris, 2719; Mid-Afternoon ❧
The doorbell tinkled and Juniper looked up from the buttonholes he was stitching, practised greeting already rising to his lips.

“Then you are in precisely the right place!”

It had been a good morning, productive. The addition of the sewing machine that he had managed to find in Vienda had increased his output immensely, the beautiful black iron and brass contraption taking pride of place by the window in the workroom. Of course there were still customers who preferred their garments to be hand-stitched, but it did mean the turnaround on commissions was usually faster now, and he was honestly enraptured by the sleek machinery and the thrill of feeling so modern.

As always, Miranda curled up behind him on her cushion, back to full health after the...incident, and the tailor's coffee steamed on the counter. Occasionally the wick wondered if he drank too much of it, but then it wasn't like it was alcohol…

He'd given up on the beard for the moment, it was just too much work to keep it perfect and he honestly didn't have the energy for it. He was still immaculate however, today's shirt embroidered with scrolling blackwork and his waistcoat of lavender velvet, embossed with flowers. Shirt sleeves were neatly buttoned at the wrist today, and his coal cravat fastened with a silver pin in the shape of a lily, a gift from his mother that he'd recently decided to stop saving for special occasions.

Cobalt eyes widened just a little at the elegant galdor sweeping into the shop. They took in the pale hair and skin, the fine features, the tall slender stature and the impeccable dress sense.

...oh...good lady…ne another one...

Though he supposed it had been a month or so since a new customer had made an...impression… on the young tailor. Perhaps he was due an embarrassment...

“Juniper Feldspar, at your service. How can I help, sir?” he asked cordially, slipping down from the high stool he occupied behind the counter, tucking his needle into the fabric and gently folding the waistcoat to lay it on the shelf beneath the countertop.

...don't you ever stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome...

Genevieve De Silver

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Mid-Afternoon, 19th of Yaris, 2719.
When Jean spotted handsome exquisitely attired tsat his smile widened. 'Now if this wasn't as fine an endorsement for a tailor as one could wish for' he thought to himself. Jean steeped to the counter and extended a slender hand in greeting, still smiling.

"Mr Feldspar it is a pleasure to meet you, I am Jean Cyrus De Silver and I have heard excellent things about your work."

He wondered for a moment if talk of his inflated reputation had reached this tailor and decided that was likely no bad thing. His eyes took in the cravat pin and lit up.

"My that is a fine piece, most fine true a fine example of the silversmiths craft."

Jean coughed a little embarrassed and transferred his gaze to Juniper's eyes.

"Sorry Mr Feldspar, I have a weakness for good craftsmanship and beautiful things."

He smiled and chuckled softly.

"Though please do not mistake me for a magpie, I like to think I am a man of good taste. Which of course brings me to my purposes in coming here."

He tapped on the counter with his signet ring for embassies still smiling.

"I am here for I find myself in need of a new suit, and I would like you to make me one."

He hooked a thumb in a waistcoat pocket, he was suddenly unsure what to do with his hands. His recent revelations had bought certain things to the fore, which previously been ignored.

"Yes, as I was saying. I wish for you to make me a suit. I am happy to follow your guidance regarding cut, colours and materials. You are the expert after all. I am happy to cover what ever costs, and pay you for your time of course. You are a skilled craftsman after all."

Jean cast his eyes over Juniper's attire again, an artist if what the man was wearing was his own work. However he didn't say as much, he was suddenly worried about coming on strong.

"But yes, money is not a concern. After all what better way to spend it than on fine clothes? For clothes maketh the man do they not."

He allowed himself a laugh and his green eyes gained a mischievous sparkle, oh but how true that was in Jean's own case.

Juniper Feldspar
Topics: 10
Race: Wick
Writer: Foxing

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:03 am

Feldspar Tailoring
☙ 19th of Yaris, 2719; Mid-Afternoon ❧
The tailor’s freckled face flushed at the endorsement- he had been here a year, thereabouts, yet was still oddly surprised when clients thought well enough of his work to recommend him to others.

That name though… the tsat had heard it before, though it took him a moment to recall where. Not having a great wealth of friends in the town (truth be told, Cecelia was the entirety of his social circle, and she rarely had time to go out of an evening with Galiya to care for), the tailor had taken to spending the occasional night at the Singing Badger. The comfortable, cheery wick-owned tavern was a pleasant change from the four walls of his little flat, and the entertainment was invariably excellent- Jeoffrey had a good eye for performers- and always welcomed a truly appreciative audience. And if the place reminded him of Xavier, that wasn’t something the tailor would admit...at least out loud…

The raucous older students who frequented the place had, however, discovered a new game when they realised just how easy it was to make the tailor blush, and had taken to loudly discussing whatever scandalous gossip was making the rounds in an effort to see who could make the wick turn cherry red first. One evening it concerned one of their teachers, a Professor DeSilver, whom it seemed had a brother who… well…

Remembering what he had overheard that evening brought even more colour to his cheeks, and he coughed self-consciously- but the galdor was complimenting his cravat pin, which was sufficiently confusing to break his train of thought.

“I uh… thank you.” Fingertips absentmindedly traced the flower’s curves, smiling nervously as that sharp green gaze met his own. ‘Good craftsmanship and beautiful things’... that may as well be my motto.”

Maybe Mr DeSilver wasn’t Gioran… he certainly looked it, but Juniper knew enough from conversations with his favourite musician that wicks were not only an anomaly in Gior, given the separation of the races, but outright shunned as the abominable product of unthinkable unions.

...ne time to wonder now...businesslike, an for the love of Alioe d’ne fawn over the man, ne matter how macha he is…

DeSilver continued, explaining what he was after, and Juniper nodded eagerly, blue eyes bright. Creative freedom, no expense spared?

“I can certainly help you there, sir. Though we will need to talk some to make sure that what I come up with is to your liking. I can… get a little carried away if parameters aren’t set.”

He gestured, a little self-consciously, to the half of the shop that served as a fitting room, separated from the main shop by a violet velvet curtain currently tied back with a tasselled cord. The majority of it was taken up with a triptych of tall mirrors, set opposite two chairs upholstered in plush lavender either side of a little round table. In the back right corner, between the bookshelf set behind the table and the polished walnut sideboard that ran along the back wall, stood a dress form bearing an intricately beaded gown, the phases of the moon picked out in shimmering glass and silver and mother-of-pearl, on a black, translucent tulle that hung like a column from the weight of the beading encrusting the hem. A matching cape hung in folds from the shoulders, fastened with a silver chain dripping with celestial pendants.

The little wick looked almost embarrassed, and, well, he was- he still considered it a foolish endeavour, so many hours of work on a piece that would probably never be worn, would forever stand there as a testament to something he just couldn’t let go. However, the gown did at least serve as a display piece, showcasing his talents.

“...for clothes maketh the man, do they not?”

Those mischievous green eyes looked him up and down before catching his own gaze, and Juniper found himself once again very aware of the lack of control he could exert over his glamour. Doetoed as it was, it probably still revealed far more about his state of mind than he would wish...

“I have… have always thought so..” murmured the wick, distractedly. He reached for his coffee, taking a long sip to bolster himself, and his hand barely wobbled at all when he set the pretty teal glazed mug back down on its little quilted coaster.

“So,”the wick continued, deliberately businesslike, “If you have time for such a consultation today, would you like something to drink while we discuss your needs? I can offer coffee, wine, or I have various teas.”

Pulling out his portfolio from the shelf under the counter, the small tailor moved out from behind it, caressing his pet as he passed her and dropping a soft kiss on her angular head when she stretched out her long silver neck, feathered crest fluffing in pleasure.

“I can close the shop while we talk if you prefer to remain undisturbed.”

Should his client agree, he would take the few steps over to the window, setting out the sign that read ‘CLOSED for a fitting’ before stretching on his toes to shoot the top bolt of the door, smart leatherbound portfolio tucked under his other arm.

...don't you ever stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome...

Genevieve De Silver

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Mid-afternoon, 19th of Yaris. 2719
Jean smiled as Juniper spoke, though he felt bad as it looked like his words had flustered the attractive tailor, he wondered if he should apologise or would that just make matters worse? It was clear he needed more practise.

"Of course parameters are important. Let me see, well I have always favoured frock coats, normally single breasted. In regards to colours I usually go for the darker richer end of things.”

He indicated the suit he was currently wearing with a smile.

"However, perhaps I should try something different. New, more suitable for the changing season, as we draw towards the colder end of the year.”

As he walked over towards the mirrors he took off his frock coat, when Jean spotted the dress he stopped mouth slightly open in awe.

"Oh now that is truely beautiful, this is your work”

He stepped closer to get a better look, the coat over his arm. Now this was a dress he would have worn, but alas it was too extravagant for public face of Genevieve De Silver.

"Mr Feldspar, you are indeed very skilled this is truely excellent.”

Jean looked over to Juniper smiling clearly impressed, he carried on towards the sofas and mirrors. He hung the coat on a hook and took in his reflection, he’d not seem himself from this many angles before. He turned back towards Juniper and thought, while wine would be delightful he was aware it was still relatively early.

"Coffee would be delightful thank you Mr Feldspar, black two sugers please.”
Jean took in the shop again, it really was very nice, he was surprised he hadn’t been aware of this hidden gem.

Jean nodded, yes closing the shop did certainly make sense.

"If you don’t mind closing the shop, I would not want to put you out on my account.”

He smiled and sat down, crossing one leg over the other. He watched the small tailor move around, this Juniper Feldspar was indeed certainly a most intriguing tailor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stacks”

• Information