[PM to Join] When You're Strange

Open for Play
Brunnhold's college town, located inside the university grounds.

Tom Cooke
Topics: 87
Race: Raen
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Notes & Tracker
Writer: Graf
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:14 am

The Plover’s Song The Stacks
In the Evening of the 67th of Roalis, 2719
Drinking in Brunnhold was just flooding different.

The Rose, oes, that was his home; he knew more watering holes there than he could count on both hands, the Dove and a hundred dives, knew how to slip in and blend ’til he was nobody and nothing. Theoretically, at least. Vienda wasn’t too much worse, in spite of all the clocking uncles and aunties. Dockers might give a face (and a field) like his funny looks, but if anybody recognized Incumbent Vauquelin slumming it, they kept their head shut.

The Stacks was a funny place. You’d asked Tom what a university town looked like three years ago, he’d’ve asked you what a fucking university was. Alive, he hadn’t spared Brunnhold a single thought, and if he’d tried to picture it, he’d’ve pictured a walled-off fortress populated by golly bochi with their noses in books, by dour magisters whispering secrets. He’d’ve been half-right: it was, after all, a walled-off fortress, full of galdori.

What he wouldn’t’ve pictured was places like the Brass Uncle, or the cascade of quaint pina taverns that catered to young gollies that wanted to sow their oats getting plastered for the maw they spent reluctantly being spoon-fed their letters. He knew better, now.

The first time he’d been to Brunnhold was during the political convention in Bethas, and he’d sampled a variety of upscale haunts, tagging along with other politicians and diplomats; that meant he knew what to avoid. Right now, in his foul mood, the last thing Tom needed was to be recognized by a gaggle of mung little aspiring-politician gollymancers, or some old friend of Anatole’s from his Brunnhold years. Right now, the last thing Tom needed was to be recognized at all.

The Plover’s Song’d seemed safe. It was a smoky, dark place, tucked away on the west end of the crescent, mostly frequented by humans and tekaa.

Nobody’d complained at the sight of a golly, ’specially not dressed plain and with a scattered porven like Tom’s. He’d been there for an hour or so already, nursing his first drink in weeks, soaking in the dull hum of the evening crowd and the incense of tobacco and liquor. He’d started to wind down, even, asking himself why he hadn’t come here sooner; his headache was laying off, and he was thinking tonight wouldn’t be too bad a night, after all.

He was thinking that, oes. He should’ve known better.

“I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about,” slurred Tom, taking another long drink of whisky, swirling it round in the glass. He squinted across at the old wick, gesturing limply with a thin hand. “I’ve never been here before in my life.”

“No, I swear. I seen you someplace – not here.”

“You saw my brother, maybe.”

“You got a fuckin’ twin?”

“Hey, now, Davey.” The bartender was a squat, stocky human, maybe a little younger than Anatole, a decade older than Tom; he leaned on the counter, scratching his jaw.

“Ne, ne, I ent startin’ nothin’. Jus’ curious, is all.”

Tom shot a sharp sideways glance at Davey. The wick perched two stools over, a tall, gangly kov that looked like he’d been cobbled together out of wire and sinew; he had long, dark hair, streaked with grey, he kept pulled back, and a lined face like a twisted old root, and a voice like a parrot’s screech.

Wasn’t endearing himself to Tom tonight. The kov ran a bony finger along his chin, tapped it with a fingertip. “Jus’, Circle clock it,” he said, raising the hook of that finger to point, “I know. I seen you givin’ a speech.”

Martin gave Davey a withering look. “If I didn’t know you were guttered before,” he muttered.

Tom didn’t say a damn thing. Only, his shoulders kept drawing up higher round his ears, and the sour twist of his lips was just getting more sour. He finished off his glass with one long draught, and when he set it back down on the counter, it was a little too hard; the bottom clattered. Tom’s hand – Anatole’s thin, elegant, toffin hand – was shaking as he slid it over, fingertips jittering on the rim.

Frowning, giving Davey another warning glance, Martin poured him another. Tom took a drink almost immediately. Before he’d set the glass back down, Davey was talking again, and Tom squeezed his eyes shut, massaging his temple. “You don’t know me, kov,” he grated.

“Ne, ne,” repeated Davey, “you’re that politician, that, uh… huh.”

The wick snapped his bony fingers; the sound felt like a nail in Tom’s head, and he grit his teeth harder. He swirled his glass once, twice, took another drink, swirled it again, trying to ease his nerves. He could feel Davey’s eyes still on him. Stopclocker was lucky Tom wasn’t himself. He heaved a deep sigh.

Tags:
Genevieve De Silver
Topics: 11
Race: Galdor
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 am

Evening of the 67th of Roalis, 2719
It was her first day back in Burnnhold, she’d been in Gior, staying in a lodge in the mountains with friends, trying to avoid the worst of Roalis heat. However as the new term started in a couple of weeks and there was a lot of work she’d been putting of that she’d have to sort.

Genevive was annoyed, with the start of the new term she’d have to go back to spending more of her time in dresses and playing the well to do galdor lady. Every time it seemed to get harder. So tonight she had given Cadoc the night off and walked into the Stacks looking for a drink.
She’d dressed for the warm evening, grey pinstripe trousers, a shirt of white Hessean silk shirt with fine red embroidery on the cuffs and an emerald green double breasted linen waistcoat.

She had a new blend of cigars that Cadoc had gone to collect from her tobacconist Mr Braddock, they were good, rich and dark with a delightful hint of caramel. The buzz of the evening streets of the Stacks and the rich cigar smoke improved her mood, though she still wanted a drink. Her highly polished brown shoes bought her to The Plover’s Song, a place for wick and humans mostly, the drink was good she could often find game of Rooks and the food wasn’t bad.

She walked up to the bar, the other reason she drank her was it served an excellent pint of Neverbetter.

“Good evening my good man, a tankard of Neverbetter if you please.”

She propped a foot on the bar rail and looked around, ashing the cigar into an ashtray on the bar. Then she spotted the other galdor, there was something familiar about him.

The bartender put a frothing tankard of the pale ale down in front of Genevieve.

“There ya go.”

She smiled her thanks and paid before taking a deep draft of the ale and letting out a contented sigh, that was better. She glanced at the oddly familiar galdor again. She picked up on the lingering feeling of hostility, a rangy wick was sat on the other side of the familiar galdor, with a mean drunk look to him.

On a whim she said to the other galdor.

"My dear fellow, how long has it been, come we must catch up. there's a fine table free by the window."

It was a gamble, but Genevieve was in a gambling mood. She shot a look at the hatchet faced wick, then grinned at the galdor.

"There's a breeze and the air is fresher there."

Tom Cooke

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Tom felt the brush of a field, first, a proper golly field, and he couldn’t bring himself to look up. Didn’t feel ones like that often, he thought; his own porven was a jangling mess by contrast, but the few clairvoyant mona threaded through it now felt almost belike. Almost. What was like clairvoyant, but not? His head was getting sloppier with the drink, slow but sure, but he tried to focus on what his nerves – what his ley lines, more like – were telling him. Not clairvoyant. Quantitative.

Maybe it was that drew his attention, even before the kov spoke up to the bartender. He cast a quick, thoughtful glance over the golly, then turned his gaze back to his drink. The low light had flickered over hair like spider-silk, fashionably-kept, a pale, delicate face. His suit was a little too well-tailored for a place like this, but the colors were a pina much for some of the golly haunts. He was ashing a cigar with one delicate hand, and a pleasant smell clung to him: smoky and dark, with maybe a little caramel.

Tom wondered why he was in here, anyway; he wondered if he was a professor, one of them eccentric monic theorists. Whatever the fuck he was, the last thing Tom needed with that wick recognizing him was another golly plopping down beside.

When he cut across the wick, Tom glanced up again, this time meeting the kov’s eye.

At first, a look of irritation – a wince, more like – spasmed across his face; he couldn’t much help it, hearing how long has it been, but he caught the kov’s sharp look at the wick, and then that grin, and figured out what he meant fair quick. He felt a swell of relief, and then, unexpectedly, gratefulness. He offered the galdor a wry, bitter twist of a smile, but one that warmed his eyes.

“What a surprise,” he replied, taking his glass from the bar and sliding out of his seat. “I’d like that very much.” With one last bemused glance at the galdor, Tom started over toward the table he’d indicated.

Behind him, the wick’s lip curled; he turned back to his own tankard, sucking his tooth sourly. “Fuckin’ gollies,” he muttered under his breath, but he didn’t look in the mood to press the point.

Whatever his purpose had been, the galdor’d spoken true: the window was open, and a soft, fresh breeze carried the sounds and smells of the Stacks inside, wavering the candles, mingling with the bar’s musk. It was a fine Roalis night – almost chilly, if you compared it to the oppressive heat of the day, leastways. Tom thought he might’ve smelled a coming rain on the breeze.

As he sat down heavily in one of the creaking chairs, he looked at the pale galdor again, quirking a red eyebrow. “Now, who do I owe for that valiant act?” He took a drink, then swirled it in the bottom of the glass, tilting his head. “Unless we are acquainted – in which case, I’ll have to beg your pardon, because I haven’t got a damn clue who you are.”

He’d come here to be alone, oes, but – something about this kov’d caught his eye. Maybe the pale galdor had recognized Vauquelin, maybe he hadn’t, but Tom reckoned he’d already forfeit a night of anonymity. Besides, he genuinely appreciated being saved from that mess.
Genevieve De Silver

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:40 pm

67th of Roalis, 2719. Evening.
Genevive had gambled that the other galdor would be glad of the rescue and it looked like the gamble had paid off.

She ignored the snide words of the mean weasel face wick at the bar and sat down at the pleasant window table, relishing the breeze. She sat across from the man and grinned at his word and made an off hand gesture with his cigar.

“Why I only did what I would expect another to do for me, one gentleman to another.”

She toasted him with her tankard before taking a swig.

“As for the other, no sir you and I are not acquainted.”

Genevieve paused, tilted her head slightly regarding the man. She put the cigar back in her mouth and held up a finger.

“However, I am sure I know your countenance.”

Another pause and she smiled slightly, she leant forward and said in a mock conspiratorial tone.

“Are you a gambler? A patron of the prize ring perchance?”

With a chuckle she leant back again, she tapped her silver signet ring on tankard and put out her right hand.

"Where are my manners? I am Jean Cyrus De Silver, a pleasure to meet you.."

Tom Cooke

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:06 pm

Tom snorted softly, that raised eyebrow raising up higher. “Well, I wouldn't call myself a gentleman.” He took a long drink, this time, and he found that the pleasant burn of it and the whispering night air and the fragrance of the pale galdor’s cigar was settling his nerves. The whisky he'd already drunk, too, was settling in his belly, and he felt a familiar warmth. Wo chet, but it'd been weeks since he’d had a drop, and now he was wondering why in the hell he'd even tried to quit.

Maybe it was that he was feeling bolder, too, bold like his old self.

“I might be a man,” he added, more than a little coquettish, “but I'm hardly gentle.”

His lip twisted again, sourly, when the jent said he knew him. But then he was leaning forward, lowering his voice all secret-like, with a funny smile on that macha, strange, fine-featured face – and Tom’s eyes widened just a fraction. By the time the galdor had settled back, a subtle smile was starting to play out on Anatole’s face. The crow’s feet round his grey eyes darkened. He was clearly interested.

Prize fighting? In Brunnhold? Tom couldn’t imagine it – what, like the flooding Rose Arena? Where would you even have something like that, in the seat of golly poetry, where every rich toffin’s boch got sent to get an education? Like hell.

And this macha fucking kov, wafting in on a cloud of dark, sweet cigar smoke, elegant as you like. Tom wasn’t sure how he felt about him, but that didn’t make him any less curious. That high, soft voice, too, and all that talk of manners and gentlemanliness, and that quantitative field, right up against prize fighting. And that signet ring: he noticed it in the flickering candlelight. More questions than answers. It was almost worth the interruption of his peace and quiet. Of all the encounters he’d expected to have at a natt bar in the Stacks, he couldn’t say he’d anticipated this one.

Jean Cyrus de Silver, as he'd introduced himself, extended one long-fingered hand. Tom took it without a moment’s hesitation, giving it a shake. For all Anatole’s delicacy, for all Tom’s shaky hands, he had a firm, strong handshake.

He grinned at Jean, a pina mant wickedly. “Well met, Mr. de Silver. You might call me a gambler, on occasion, but I'm visiting from out of town.” A slight pause, like he was thinking about something. “Thomas,” he said after a moment, “Wynngate – but I’m going to insist you call me Tom.”

Tom knew well that this Jean kov might have already recognized Incumbent Vauquelin; he seemed a clever enough man, and even if he hadn't, he was bound to eventually. At worst, Tom reckoned, he was playing with fire; at best, making a fool out of himself. Drunk and proud as he was, he didn’t know which was worse. Still, this odd, pale toffin, with his soft voice and his talk of gambling and prize rings, had his full attention, for better or worse.

Tom took another drink, draining his glass nearly to the dregs already. “What brings you to a place like this?”
Genevieve De Silver

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:42 pm

67th of Roalis, 2719, the evening.
Genevieve studied the other galdor, she raised an eyebrow at his words. Well he certainly looked like a gentleman, but as she knew all too well, looks could be deceiving. 'A man but not gentle' a loaded statement and no mistake, she wondered how to take and decided to grin.

She listened to him and took another drink from her tankard. A gambler from out of town, well she had been frequented prize rings all over Anaxas it seemed in her time. Still the man's face seemed familiar, but she decided not concern herself over much. He had a good firm handshake, something she had practiced at over the years.

"A pleasure to make your acquaint Tom. So a fellow gambler excellent, tell me what is your preferred distraction? For myself, well I'd wager on almost anything, if I was bored enough."

She laughed, it was true, then continued.

“I have made a fair bit of money at prize ring or at cards. As to why I am here, well one reason is this.”

She held up her tankard of Neverbetter and took another sip.

“There are very few places one can find a decent pint of Neverbetter in the Stacks. I’m from Gior originally you see, it reminds me of home. That and I can normally find a few likely fellows to play a hand of Rooks with.”

She drained the rest of her tankard then and smiled broadly.

“Speaking of, I find myself in need of another. What are you drinking?”

She stood one hand resting on the back of her chair, the other hooked in her waistcoat pocket.

Tom Cooke

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:22 am

The Jean kov returned his grin.

For a golly, he had a damn sturdy handshake. Looking at those pale, graceful hands – with that silver toffin signet ring glinting on one long finger, no less; curiouser and curiouser – Tom wouldn’t’ve thought he was the sort of kov for a handshake at all, much less a proper natt one. Tom knew there were galdori among the Seventen who favored a handshake, but most gollies, he reckoned, preferred to bow. It was a relief, in its way, that handshake. Familiar.

A relief, too, to hear his name on even a stranger’s tongue. A relief and a thrill, like the thrill of a wager. Drunk as he was, the fact that Jean was respecting him enough to call him by his name might’ve been sufficient by itself; but with this talk of Rooks, of getting a decent pint in the Stacks, of prize fights, this self-proclaimed gentleman had his undivided attention. This gentleman who’d wager, or so he’d said, on almost anything.

Gioran, Tom thought. Well, hell, that explained his looks – and that accent, strange as it was. Macha, Tom thought, fair macha. As Jean stood up, Tom threw back the last of his whisky, quirking an eyebrow. “As a matter of fact, Mr. de Silver,” he replied, “it’s Gioran whisky. I’m going to have another, myself; next round’s on me, eh? It’s the least I can do.”

With a grunt of effort, he pushed himself up out of his seat. There was a soft, tinkling hiss of glass against wood as he took his tumbler. If he was a pina mant unsteady on his feet as he moved with Jean to the bar, he made up for it (as best he could) with a confidence that filled every inch of his short, spare frame. He stalked, toe-to-heel, deliberate in even the clumsiest of his motions. If he hadn’t been the delicate, aging galdor he was, he might’ve had the look of a fighter.

The wick was still sat at his stool, but he looked too guttered, now, to cause much trouble. After he ordered again, Tom turned back to Jean, raising his brows.

He paused, sucking at a tooth, studying Jean’s face for a moment. He could still feel the galdor’s quantitative field brushing his own rebellious, scattered tangle; he couldn’t help but wonder what sort of questions a gambler like Jean de Silver asked the mona. He wondered how much of a stickler this kov was for the noble uses.

Despite his itching curiosity, he wouldn’t ask Jean a damn thing about whatever’d brought him here from Gior, whatever he did – if anything – when he wasn’t smoking expensive spurs and betting on fistfights in the Stacks. They weren’t questions he wanted to answer for himself, he thought as he took his glass, so he’d afford Jean the same courtesy.

Instead, he took a drink; the bitter twist of apah root seemed to fortify him. “I’m from the Rose, if that answers your question. Wagering’s less distraction and more a way of life.” A faint, wry curl of a smile. Playing with fire, he thought again. “I’ll never say no to a hand of Rooks,” he added, “or a good fight.”
Genevieve De Silver

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 pm

67th of Roalis. 2719. Evening
Following the galdor to the bar Genevieve studied how he moved, something niggled at her mind. She dismissed it, this Tom was certainly an interesting fellow. She cast a glance at the hatchet face wick, he seemed too interested in finding the bottom of his glass to be of much bother.

She accepted fresh pint of ale and toasted Tom before taking a sip.
One of her pale eyebrows rose in mild surprise.

"From Old Rose Harbour? Fascinating, a most interesting city. I visited last year on business, had the good fortune to watch a few fights at the Arena. Quite the spectacle! However I hardly need to tell you that."

She grinned, remembering the nigh, the rush of it, seeing that big brute of a man turn his opponent to so much bloody offal.
At Tom's next words she regarded him again, in a new light.
A brawler, this old gentleman? She wasn't sure, but then who better than her knew how deceiving appearances could be. Though, he did move like a fighter, now she thought of it.

"Well Tom, I'm afraid I'm not much when I comes to fighting. Now as for a Rooks, I believe I can accommodate you."

She scanned the bar and then grinned when she saw what she was looking for.

"In fact, there's a fellow shuffling a deck of cards looking in need of company."

She pointed and sure enough a human dressed in faded finery was sat at a table towards the back of the bar shuffling a deck of playing cards.

Genevieve grinned to Tom, the pointing hand moved and became a slight bow and she said with a grin.

After you Tom".

Tom Cooke

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Didn’t surprise him that this toffin’d been to the Arena – at this point, he reckoned nothing about the kov’d surprise him. But he couldn’t help a spike of anger, spurred on by the whisky, maybe, a little tingle up through his bones; something of that anger twitched across his face, though he hid it behind another drink. Drank long and deep.

An interesting city, he’d said; quite the spectacle. ’Course it’d be fascinating to you, Tom thought. Some dandy from Gior, gentleman gambler, with his fine, indectal quantitative field. Taking himself round the fighting rings, the prize fights where natt like Tom broke their bodies and their minds and their souls on the cliffs of Hawke’s godsdamn machine. All for the sake of birds, or so they could feed their families, like that Tristaan kov he’d known, or ’cause they didn’t know any other way. All so some pale macha golly could get off on the spilt sap and busted bones, he thought.

That anger surprised him; it wasn’t one he’d’ve had in life, he thought, and it wasn’t something he thought he’d feel. It wasn’t fair to Jean de Silver, not with what he knew. He sucked at a tooth, gazing at the gentleman gambler a moment longer.

“It’s a hell of a thing to see,” was all he said. Then he took another drink, and his posture seemed to loosen up, and there was just more of the same good humor in the quirk of his brow and his crow’s feet.

Both his brows shot up, then. Rooks in flooding Brunnhold. Well, if that didn’t make this run of laoso days worth it, Tom didn’t know what in Alioe’s name did. With a grin and a languid shrug, almost cat-like, he replied, “I did say I’d never say no to a hand, didn’t I? But I’ll warn you, I didn’t say I was much good at it, Mr. de Silver.

With a laugh and a secretive little smile – just a twitch of his lip, really – he turned his attention on the kov Jean’d indicated, across the smoky room, shuffling a deck of dog-eared cards. Strange, he thought, how the kov dressed. That piqued his interest more than anything; for a human, he looked like he'd been well-off, once.

What he hadn’t told Jean, of course, was that the last time he’d played Rooks with a bunch of natt, not quite a month ago, it’d ended in a bloody mess. Wasn’t any need, he thought, warm and bold with the drink; what’d happen would happen. And this was Brunnhold, and it was just one tired-looking old natt, and he didn’t reckon there’d be any harm in it.

Besides, there was some kind of thrill to this, wasn’t there? Or some kind of justice, maybe – that was more accurate. It surprised him, that thought. The Gioran, looking at him with interest in those pale eyes, like he’d surprised him. Anatole, drunk off his erse, playing Rooks with a rake and a natt in Brunnhold. Something about that pleased Tom.

At Jean’s polite, After you, Tom, at his bow, he gave a mock bow himself, then headed over, weaving his way among the tables 'til he'd reached the man. “Far’ye, kov?” he addressed the human, giving another bow, this one less mocking. The Rose’d broadened his accent, but his manner was respectful, if bold and jovial. “Mind if a couple of toffin gollies join you for a hand?”
Genevieve De Silver

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:43 pm

67th of Roalis, 2719. Evening
Genevieve thought she caught something cross Tom's face, anger maybe? She wondered if it had been something she had said, she was about to apologise when Tom started towards the man with the cards.

When Tom spoke she almost snorted Neverbetter from her nose 'toffin gollies'. Now here was a galdor with a manner even stranger than hers, she looked at him grinning as she put the cigar back between her teeth. She turned her eyes to the slightly surprised man sat, frozen mid shuffle.

"Well sir, you heard the man. After all I imagine a round of Rooks would be better than another of solitaire?"

The man nodded slightly and said.

"Aye true enough, sit yourselves down gents I'm Jackson Robart. I'd be glad of the company, been a slow evenin."

Genevieve stuck out a hand smiling in greeting.

"A pleasure to meet you Jackson, I'm Jean and this gentleman is Tom."

They shook hands, and then Genevieve sat down and she rolled up her sleeves the pale skin of her forearms seemed to glow in the candle light.

"I say Jackson, would you mind awfully if I shuffled the cards. It's been a while and I'm rather curious if I still have the knack."

Jackson shrugged and handed her the worn deck. She smiled her thanks, the cards were warm in her hands, the mona around her vibrated but she dismissed it. No need to use magics in a friendly game after all. The cards moved between her hands with a practised ease, she had spent time practicing, Jean was that kind of man after all. As she split the deck and riffle shuffled them she said.

"So Jackson, what brings you here this fine evening?"

As she waited for his reply she dealt out a hand, she shot Tom a look and grinned, a light dancing in her eye.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stacks”

• Information