[Closed] Have your Cake (Abe)

Open for Play
Brunnhold's college town, located inside the university grounds.

Umberto Bassington-Smythe
Topics: 12
Race: Galdor
: Unstable Academic
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Runcible Spoon
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Fri May 08, 2020 11:25 pm

The Stacks -The Cafe Frobisher
Mid Morning on the seventeenth of Yaris

T
aking one thing with another, the spinach puffs were really very passable. A warm and flaky pastry, a fragrant filling, and served at very nearly the right temperature. Thankfully, the cordial host of the place had erred on the side of too hot, and the little triangular, horn-like creations were cooling merrily in the shadow of the tea pot. Other dishes were scattered about the table, the debris of a leisurely, indeed and on-going, brunch. An apricot bun, glossy with a fine and translucent glaze was being given a thoughtful nibble by his companion. It had been some time since either of them had spoken. A comfortable, almost easy quiet.

It would have to be broken sooner or later. There was business to attend to, but for now, it seemed right and proper to lounge on the comfortable patio. It would give him time to put his thoughts in order. Perhaps his cousin was doing the same. It would have been in character. She had always been the more reserved.

They had not seen each other in years. Letters of course had not been uncommon, but Abe was Anaxi to her core, and Brunnhold was her place. It suited her. She seemed to be at ease in this place, with its too-much ivy and red-stone lanes. Her profession was here, and, near as he could tell, it suited her as well and she suited this place. There was the lingering weariness all good physicians have, but it seemed natural and not destructive. It seemed a fine old companion. He was glad of that, both for his cousin and for her patients. An uncomfortable doctor was no use to anyone.

Doctor.

His mind snapped back to the matter at hand, the business of this morning. He was not here simply to share a civilized meal, he was here to discharge an obligation, and to ask a favor.

“Abe,” he said, giving one of the spinach puffs an experimental prodding with the end of one long and spidery finger. “Uncle Gian wanted me to tell you that he was able to secure the items you requested, though not without some cost. The times being what they are.” He gave a vague sort of gesture, waving at the air as though to dismiss some troublesome insect. It has the opposite effect, and one of the tedious waitstaff homed in on their table like a particularly unwelcome wasp.

“Sir,” inquired the wasp, “Is there anything else I can get for the pair of you.” Yes, thought Umberto, for you to go away. There is business afoot.

“No, I think I am fine. Although, I was about to tell my friend here that a rather fine poppyseed cake would be just the thing to close out this meal.” The Cafe Frobisher did not serve poppyseed cake. It never had. Today, at least, that would be a benefit.

“Oh I am so sorry sir, but we do not have such a thing. Perhaps a lemon cake? Very popular.”

“So I recall. And on another day, I think I should like a slice of lemon cake." He turned to Abe, trying to affect a bemused smile, "It really is a very fine lemon cake. But I have promised my friend here a slice of Bastian poppyseed cake. Brought all the way from Florne at great expense via my own hand. A family gift you understand.[/color]” He gave Abe a conspiratorial look. “Weren’t you just saying how much you were looking forward to that cake?”

Last edited by Umberto Bassington-Smythe on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:
Abeline Ixbridge
Topics: 4
Writer: rillani

Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:22 am

Despite it being her day off, Abeline's mind was at work. Yesterday, a patient had come to her with a bevvy of complaints. The list was quite long, and the symptoms common to many ailments. Sussing out a diagnosis--or multiple--was taking the whole of her cognitive function.

Even the tart flavor of apricot could barely insert itself into her awareness. She nibbled by rote. The faint crunching of the flaky pastry may as well have occured on a distant planet, and galaxies away, her stomach decided it was full. Automatic signals coursed across her nerves unheeded, directing her hand to put the bun down.

Thus, it came as a shock when Bertie suggested more food. Abeline blinked owlishly at him. "What cake?" She shook her head and waved the waiter off. No need to make him endure Bertie's nonsense. "I do not recall requesting a cake."

Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 am

T

here was, of course, no cake. It was the agreed-upon code-word. Agreed upon in at least two letters. What was more, it had been Abe who suggested it. Probably got the idea from one of her fanciful novels of adventure. Not the horrible three-volume things which prose so purple as to be at the very edge of mortal sight, but rather frothy, rolicking things. They all seemed to have protagonists with unlikely names, a surfeit of secret societies, and what seemed to be an obligatory chase sequence. He’d read a few of them, not really to his taste. Enigma tales and strange and eerie stories were more his taste.
If they had followed the structure of those tales, the ‘cake’ would have been left at a dead-drop by the duckpond, and the two of them would never meet at all. Communication would be by letter only, and at least one of them would slowly be going mad. Well, he at least had the latter part down.

“Abe,” he said, trying to maintain the light tone so as not to attract too much attention. “The cake was a special order, requested by your own good person. A very fine, very rich, very refined Bastian poppyseed cake, drizzled with brandy and amaretto.” The little phials of morphine, all packed in fine-spun wool and stowed away under the false bottom of one his trucks were in great demand. With the right buyer, he could have made quite a pretty penny. One of the family’s contacts out in Old Rose had wanted to buy the lot, but they’d already been spoken for. Abe had claimed them, needed them for perfectly legitimate medical purposes. Surgeries were painful, injuries could linger for months, and morphine properly administered could do her patients a world of good.

It wasn’t illegal. Well, not precisely. Doctors could acquire laudanum and lesser substances without difficulty. But the more potent, purerer forms? Those came with hefty import duties, bothersome regulations concerning purchase amounts, taxes, fees. Miles upon miles of paperwork. A busy physician did not need such hassles. Instead, she could rely on some family connections to deal with a few select, oh very select, apothecaries in Florne who owned the Galeazzi a host of favors. Morphine, proper, pure, and only slightly above cost.

“Your aunt Lucrezia specially acquired it for you. Surely you must recall having ordered the cake? It has been made all to your precise specifications.”

Abeline Ixbridge

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:38 am

Abeline squinted across the table. Her mind got stuck, like a thread on a nail, on the brandy and amaretto, unravelling any hope of her understanding. She absolutely had not ordered a brandy and amaretto cake, poppyseed or no. Her cousin was having her on. Or someone else had ordered this alleged cake. But no, that couldn't be. The journey would be too much.

"You are telling me my aunt got me a Bastian cake, in Bastia? How many days ago? It's got to be stale by now. And you came here by river. Stale and soggy. No, Bertie, I do not recall ordering a stale, soggy brandy and amaretto cake. It sounds atrocious. More tea?"

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 am

W

ell, that more or less proved it, Abe, in her usual fashion, had forgotten entirely what this meeting was about. She was, in point of fact, expecting a cake. And if there had been a cake? She would have been quite right about its condition. It would be stale, soggy, rather battered, and not fit for civilized consumption. Or uncivilized consumption. There were many uncivilized people in the world, but none of that would be that barbarous.

“Ah,” he said, accepting the tea, “but this is the special Bastian cake. The cake you specially ordered. I recall saying to my mother as she was preparing it for shipping to take especial care. As it was Abe’s cake. The cake made especially for Abe. The noble, extra refined, Bastian poppyseed cake for Abe. The cake Abe had so carefully requested. Abe’s cake.” He took care to emphasize the words, ‘extra refined’, ‘noble’, and ‘poppyseed’ in the hopes of forcing recollection through her thick glasses and directly into her brain. Failing that, she probably had some horrible surgical device that might affect the same general outcome.

“So, I ask you again. Would you care for a slice of your cake?”

Abeline Ixbridge

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:30 pm

As Bertie continued on his nonsense, Abe returned her thoughts to her patient. Regardless of the actual cause of the patient's many complaints, something could be done for the symptoms. For the aches and coughing, perhaps some laudanum. The price of which had been going up, and--

The noble, extra refined, Bastian poppyseed cake for Abe.

Abe extended a finger in recognition just as the waiter approached again. "Oh, that cake! Right. I did ask for a noble, extra-refined, Bastian poppyseed cake, didn't I? Well, I'll be happy to receive it. Thank you, Bertie." She turned to the waiter and said, "I'd like a lemon cake to go please."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stacks”

• Information