Unexpected duties [Stolley's Tavern] [Memory] [Open]

in which Cecelia meets some of Stolley's clientele

Open for Play
Brunnhold's college town, located inside the university grounds.

Cecelia Driscoll
Topics: 8
Race: Human
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot notes (Including thread history!)
Writer: Rachel/jadeowl
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 am

75 Yaris 2718
LATE MORNING
Cecelia smiled in return. "Not a problem at all. Really."

Her eyes brightened as Juniper took off his coat. "Oh, that's gorgeous. I bet you're opening a tailor shop," she grinned. "If that's an example of your work, you'll do fine here. A lot of the golly students like to dress fancy when they're off campus. I swear, I'm not sure who they're trying to outdo more -- each other or peacocks."

"Favorite colors? I can't say that I have a single favorite color. I'm partial to jewel tones, like Mugrobi people wear, to be honest. Aldwin got me a bit addicted," she laughed. "Sadly, vanity is one of my flaws and he used to say they set my skin off so well. He would surprise me with a new shirt or skirt when we could squeak out the money for one. We didn't have much, but he spoiled me rotten."

She paused in thought for a moment. "Do you do baby clothes? My daughter's growing like a weed and I can trade in her old clothes for you to use as scrap. It won't cover the full cost, but it'll be something."

She grinned at the teacup drake's antics. "She always this feisty?"

"Mmhm. That'd be the post office. Be warned, though. I haven't had reason to go there, but I've heard the lines are always ridiculous. Let me go get your meal," Cecelia said, heading back to the kitchen.

When she came back, she was holding back laughter. She had brought out a whole loaf of bread along with the bowl. "Sorry for not cutting it, but Stolley and Cook were, ah..." she paused a moment, letting out an embarrassed laugh. "Blocking the bread knives. Yes, that's what they were doing," she said, before bending down and leaning on the bar, giggling. After a couple minutes of giggling, she managed to collect herself. "Please tell me you have a knife? All I could grab was the butter tray and knife and the stew. I am not going back there for the bread knife. I'm going to have nightmares as it is."

"Oh wait!" Cecelia said after a moment, before hurrying over to the tray where the citrus fruit and other garnishes were kept. She had seen some of the regulars when she came in for her interview and she doubted that the majority of them even requested garnishes. But she had seen a golly or two that night and she assumed that Stolley kept the garnishes around in case one of them wanted something fancy. She snorted to herself and looked around the tavern. "Pretty sure that happens pretty bloody rarely," she thought to herself as she grabbed the knife that was kept there and washed it off in the bar sink. Luckily, she'd only had to use it once on this shift, so the sickly stream of water that came out of the bar tap was enough to clean it off. She wiped it off on what was, this early in the day, a clean bar towel.

She made her way back to Juniper and cut off a rather thick slice of bread, then handed him the butter tray and knife. The slice wasn't as clean as it would've been with the bread knife, but at least Juniper wouldn't have to gnaw a slice off. "That explains why Cook threatened to butcher me earlier if I came back again and why Cook doesn't have any assistant cooks come in until 18 o'clock," she said with another laugh.

Tags:
Juniper Feldspar
Topics: 10
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Foxing
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 am

STOLLEY'S TAVERN | LATE MORNING
75 YARIS 2718
Delight shone in his face as Cecelia guessed his profession.

"I am! And thank you, embroidery is.. important to me, it's all I have from my gitgka." The Tek is strange on his tongue, like he's been training himself out of it, but couldn't bear to let some words go. "It's how I learned how much I love creating beautiful things." He sighs wistfully. "And if I hadn't I'd never be able to afford to dress like this."

The wick's smile turns somewhat bashful, and he looks down at his drink, chin leaning on his left hand. "I wish the whole world were beautiful. There's so much ugliness, and I'm not talking about faces," he added quickly, glancing up at her. "When people are happy, they're always beautiful. Maybe it's silly..." and he clears his throat gently, "...but I just like making people happy, and helping them find beauty."

Suddenly, he realised what he was doing, and a flush of embarrassment prickled through him.

...she'll think you're a clocking moongazer, spilling all this nonsense to the first townie you meet...

In one quick movement, he downed the rest of the glass, and coughed, immediately regretting it as the lemon hit the back of his throat.

"But yes," and his tone became firmer, more businesslike, as his eyes watered. "I hope so, that's why I'm looking to set up shop here, Brunnhold is rather renowned for its dandies."

As she spoke of Aldwin, that wistful smile returned.

"He sounds like a fine man, with excellent taste. I wish..." and he trailed off, realising just what he had been about to say.

Clocking MUNG, they don't do that here. You're not in a kint, you want the gollies to think...to know...

"But I've never understood why vanity is considered a flaw," he continued, hoping the astute woman hadn't noticed. "Or pride, for that matter. It all depends on what the person does with it."

His eyebrows rose at her request. "Baby clothes? I can certainly try, my cousins were walking by the time my daobeta started begging me for pretty things for them, but the principle's the same. And trading in her old things will cut down the fabric I have to use new. "

She spoke of his girl, and he laughed, fondly.

"Miranda?" and he looked down at her, smiling. "When she wants to be. you were right earlier when you likened her to a cat. When she's not sleeping, which she does an inordinate amount of, she's getting into mischief. She's smart, that's the trouble."

When Cecelia went out to fetch his lunch, he sighed, dropping his head into his hands.

You have to be more careful. Don't ruin this.

He thought about his parents, how much they'd sacrificed to save up the capital for this venture, and his gitgka, the smile on her face the first time he'd proudly shown her a lopsided flower, the stitches uneven and crooked. She'd stitched that patch into the corner of the tablecloth she gave him on his last birthday, the rest of it covered in magical creatures and exotic birds. It must have taken her months.

"To remind you how far you've come, nanabo. When you're away among urbo jent."

He'd cried, unashamedly, and clung to her as if when he let go, she would be gone.

---

He looked up as Cecelia returned, and the more she spoke, the more uncomfortable he became.

"I, uh...that's..."

His face flushed and he grabbed for his glass again, remembering belatedly that it was empty.
Cecelia Driscoll

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:44 pm

75 Yaris 2718
LATE MORNING
Cecelia smiled at Juniper's "moongazing", a true smile and not mocking in any way. It was refreshing to see someone so open and... child-like. Seeing someone who still could see the beauty in the world and wanted to bring more of it into the world to make it a better place reminded her of who she had been before her life had fallen apart.

"When did I lose that sense of wonder?" she asked herself.

But she knew. She knew. The first part of it had been buried with Aldwin and the rest? The rest had been buried with her stillborn son.

She gave a sad, soft smile at his comment about Aldwin. "He was. And I think he'd like you."

"Well, I'm a mere human," she said at his comments about vanity and pride, her mouth twisting a bit at the bitter taste the words "mere human" left in her mouth. It wasn't that she wanted to overthrow the gollies. She would be fine with them staying in power if they would just treat everyone who wasn't a golly with respect. She hadn't interacted with a lot of gollies, but the ones who treated her as if she were no better than a dog were one of the few things that made her angry. A dog couldn't cook a delicious meal. A dog couldn't embroider clothes the way that Juniper did.

She pulled herself back to the conversation. "A lot of gollies see vain or prideful humans and think that we're trying to reach above our stations," she shrugged. "But I try not to care what they think. I know the truth. I'm not trying to reach above my station. I'm smart enough to know that I don't want to be in a position of power and the responsibility that comes with it. I just want to live a quiet life and make enough money that I don't have to be afraid that a sick day is going to land me homeless. All I'm doing is trying to make my station worth living at," she shook her head. "Gollies are incapable of understanding that."

"Oi, a smart cat. That's gotta be fun," she chuckled before heading off to the kitchen.

Cecelia poured both of them a drink, the same as she had given Juniper before. "I think that's an image we both need to try to forget," she said, tipping her cup to him before taking a long draw. One drink wasn't going to be a problem, since Juniper was the only person in the bar. Anyways, it's not like Stolley was going to be back before she finished her drink, as long as she didn't take her sweet time savoring it. She cut off a slice of bread and buttered it, nibbling on it as she pondered their upcoming quest for a shop for Juniper.

"So, what type of shop are you looking for? Something that's brand new looking, or something that's a bit run down that you can put your special touch on? If you're looking for some place to touch up, you might be able to get a discount on rent. But I know a lot of people don't have time to do that sort of thing. If you want to have a lot of physical examples of your clothing designs, it might be best to get a ready-to-go shop, even if it costs a bit more."

Juniper Feldspar

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 am

Stolley's tavern| Morning
75th YARIS 2718
Juniper took the offered drink, clinked it delicately against Cecelia's own glass, and took a mouthful, which let let sit on his tongue for a moment, savouring it before swallowing. He sighed, then shook his head, chuckling,

“Thank you. You're sure I won't get you into trouble?” he asked, nodding at her glass.

...I landed on my feet coming in here... he thought, smiling at her with what felt like hope. Everything was becoming much less overwhelming, though ...that's the alcohol, surely...

He shook his head, picking up the bread and dipping it in the stew before taking a bite.

It was... not bad, he found, pleasantly surprised, and actually rather good...

For a minute he could concentrate on nothing but the food...clearly this morning took more of a toll than I thought...but then he blinked, realising that Cecelia had asked him a question.

“I'm not afraid of hard work to get it up and running, and if I can get a cheaper rent for something good underneath its wear, I'll happily take it. I've budgeted for a month of setup,” he explained, “and I'm that precious about my workspace that I won't be fully happy without making it my own in any case!”

He gave a crooked smile, clearly a little self-conscious about his perfectionist nature, then carried on, breaking off occasionally to take a spoonful of stew or a bite of bread.

“Natural light in the space for my workroom and shop floor would be ideal... though I know I'm unlikely to find that in the Stacks. I can make do with oil lamps...and mona-enhanced lighting if need be. I have capital for furnishings and repairwork set aside...and I have a sign already.”

He paused, smiling at the thought, and, setting down his spoon, reached into his neat waistcoat pocket, the one without a watch chain hanging from it, and pulled out a piece of well-folded paper.

The edges of the folds were fuzzy and soft, as if it had been in there for a long time, and he unfolded it carefully, spreading it out on the bar top like some precious document.

Upon the paper was an extremely well-executed technical drawing of a hanging shop sign. Upon it, in pleasing but legible script, was emblazoned “Feldspar Tailoring- Bespoke apparel”, and the symbols of a scrolling tape measure, a thimble, and a needle and thread arranged in a pleasing design reminiscent of a coat of arms. Above this, in place of the heraldic animal crest, was a beautiful rendition of a female miraan, her wings spread.

“My cousin Regis is a woodworker,” he explained, “When he heard I was setting out on this enterprise, he surprised me with this. The real thing is beautiful, oiled beechwood, picked out in silver. I've kept this on me for a year to remind myself what I'm working towards.”

Last edited by Juniper Feldspar on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cecelia Driscoll

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 am

75 Yaris 2718
TIME
Cecelia listened to Juniper, a smile on her face. "Sounds like you've planned this out for a while. That's good. Less likely for things to go tits up," she said as she took the paper he offered her. "I bet landlords like people who've clearly planned ahead and want to fix their place up. If I were a landlord, I'd think you'd be a good business investment."

Her mouth made a little O as she examined the drawing for the sign. "Wow. That's gorgeous, even on paper. It'll definitely stick out around here. I'm sure you noticed that the sign outside here is just a piece of scrap wood with faded paint on it," she said, handing the paper back to Juniper. "Show that to a landlord and they might even be willing to rent you a place on one of the main streets. Even on those streets, there are some run down places. Sadly, not everyone takes pride in the place they're renting," she said with a shake of her head. She didn't understand people who didn't treat their housing with respect. Just because you didn't own it didn't mean that you should trash it.

Cecelia looked up as two men walked into the building. "Hello! Go ahead and take a seat wherever you want and I'll be right with you," she called out.

"Enjoy the rest of your meal, Juniper," she said before hurrying off to help the new customers.
Juniper Feldspar

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm

75 YARIS 2718
The Tsat beamed with pride as Cecelia admired the rendition of his shop sign. It meant so much to him, every time he looked at it he felt a rush of gratitude to his family, all his kin coming together to support him and his dream. He knew full well he was going to need that love to fall back on in these streets, to keep him going.

"...they might even be willing to rent you a place on one of the main streets."

His eyes lit up as he took the paper from her, folding it carefully along the well-worn crease lines before slipping it back into his waistcoat pocket.

"You really think so? I've tried so hard to plan everything out, all the details. I've my writ, everything. This is the last big hurdle."

As the door opened and two men walked in, Juniper shifted slightly in his seat to block their line of sight to the miraan on the bartop, who had settled down by now, having defeated three slices of cucumber. She was curled up against his forearm, purring almost imperceptibly, a high rippling sound that warmed his heart.

Cecelia left to serve the other patrons, and Juniper gave her a warm smile and nodded, raising his glass to her as she came out from behind the bar.

"It's been a pleasure, I'll come and find you again when you finish."

He ate his meal in as leisurely a fashion as the cooling stew allowed, wiping up the last remnants from the bowl with the heel of the bread, finished his drink as he stood up, and donned his coat with a swirl, holding the pocket open for the now-dozy miraan to creep into.

As he left, he found Cecelia again briefly, touching her lightly on the shoulder as she bent to take an order.

"Eighteen o'Clock. I'll be waiting outside."

He raised a hand as if to tip a hat, gave her a slight bow, and strode out of the tavern with a spring in his step.

-------------------------

Eighteen o'Clock found him back outside Stolley's, with a Post Office receipt in his pocket and a contented hum escaping his lips as he leaned against the wall close to the door, one ankle crossed over the other, daydreaming about what he would do with his very own shop once he had found it.
Cecelia Driscoll

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:12 pm

75 Yaris 2718
AFTERNOON
The rest of Cecelia's shift flew by as the lunch rush came in. She was very relieved when it hit 18 o'clock. She hadn't done a lot of waitressing, preferring to stay in the kitchen, so the rush hour nearly overwhelmed her. But her pocket was definitely a bit heavier, which made the shift worth it. Stolley's clientele was far from rich, but the forts left in tips still added up.

She made her way back to the kitchen and washed her hands and face, transferring her tips from the apron pocket to a pocket in her skirt before taking off her apron putting it on the rack by the back door. "I'm off!" she yelled to Cook, though she pointedly refused to meet the woman's eyes, knowing that she'd end up giggling in embarrassment from what she caught earlier. Casey walked in to begin her shift. "It's busy out there. Melinda's got here about 10 minutes ago and is already busting erse," she warned the girl. Before leaving for the day, she stopped for a few seconds to check her head scarf in the beaten metal "mirror" by the back door that was usually used to make sure that aprons were straight and the waitresses weren't too dirty. Stolley's didn't have much of a dress code for employees, but a waitress that was covered in mud wasn't going to encourage people to buy food and drink, so he at least required that the waitresses spend a few moments getting "presentable" before starting their shift.

She hurried out once her head scarf was back in place, finding Juniper waiting around front and smiled brightly. "Find the post office okay?" she asked. She didn't wait for his answer as she started leading him down the road. She knew that it was in their best interests to get to the shops that were for rent sooner rather than later, since property was at such a premium in the Stacks. "You want to aim for the Circle and go to the shop on Main first, or did you want to go to one of the more modest shops first? I mean, not that opening a shop is like playing stickball," she said, giving him a grin that brought out her dimples. "But I'm sure you know what I mean," she laughed.
Juniper Feldspar

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am

75 YARIS 2718
He nodded. The Post Office had been easy enough to find- the building he'd seen before had been the riht place after all, and the queues had been actually rather moderate.

"I did, thank you,” Juniper replied brightly, offering Cecelia his arm as he matched her swift pace.

It took a weight off his mind being led by someone who clearly knew their way around, the anxious energy that had all but overwhelmed the wick but a few short hours before transformed into a sense of purpose and camraderie.

She was sweet, this enthusiastic woman, and kind, and he found himself hoping that he would see a lot more of her. It would be so much less overwhelming when he set up to have one friendly face, a kind ear.

He laughed with her, feeling rejuvenated.

“Mmmm...Honestly? With you by my side I feel I could take on anything. To Main street!” the tailor declared with a flourish of his hand, a little feather-crested head popping out of his shirt collar with a trill, intrigued by the noise. He looked down as she nudged against his jaw, rubbing her scales along the neatly-trimmed bristle of his close beard.

“We're going shop-hunting, darling.” A fond hand raised to caress the little creature. “I'll need your help, so keep your eyes open.”

He realised what he was saying and flushed a little, clearing his throat as he addressed his human companion once more.

“So tell me, Cecelia, how long have you spent in Brunnhold? Did you grow up here?”
Cecelia Driscoll

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:32 am

75 Yaris 2718: Afternoon
The Stacks
"To Main Street!" Cecelia brightly laughed as she took Juniper's arm and started leading him through alleys and side streets to avoid the crowd. She was in too good of a mood to waste it on elbowing people out of the way. She grinned at his comments to the teacup drake. "She seems like she'd be smart enough to know if something's off."

She gave him a half-smile at his question about how long she had been in Brunnhold. "Oh, no. I was born and raised in Vienda. Would've probably died there too, but..." she paused, trying to figure out how to explain why she moved here. When she spoke, her words came fast and it was clear she was trying to put a shine over an unpleasant topic. "Well, sometimes, life happens and you need to get away to save your sanity," she explained quickly, with a half-shrug. "Life happened to me a couple years ago. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to Vienda. It was home for nearly all my life, but I like it here. I'm not sure it's home yet, but I like it here."

She changed the subject since they were coming up on the first shop. "The first shop's been through a couple businesses since I got here. Last owner left the details on the outside trim painted in some... interesting colors. I think it was a haberdashery. It managed to last about about half a year, which was pretty impressive, since the hats were... unique. I saw a golly leaving with this atrocious fuschia tricorne with navy blue details along the rim and a moa feather as long as my forearm that was dyed pea green sticking out of the top. And not even one of the fluffy ones! It was a tail feather," she laughed. "I'm not sure how the hat maker managed to make the colors clash so badly, but it was Gods-awful. Us humans and wicks may be the 'lower races'," she said, lip curling down at the phrase for a second, "But we would never pay as much as the owner was charging for something that horrifying."

"I think the key to success here is making sure you can cater to everyone, even the poorest of the poor," Cecelia continued, giving Juniper a side-glance and a smile as they turned on to Main Street. "I doubt that would be a problem with you. But some golly owners refuse to 'lower themselves' to selling to humans and wicks," she rolled her eyes at that thought. "And then they wonder why their shop goes tits up within a year. But when you're rich, I suppose you can sometimes afford to have business after business fail," she said, a bit of bitterness touching her voice. It was clear that she thought that the amount of wealth the gollies wasted was disgusting. "The gollies might hate rubbing elbows with the rest of us, but if your wares are good enough, they'll ignore it. I imagine you'll be quite fine," she finished cheerfully.

They came up upon the empty storefront. It was clear that the owner had at least paid someone to keep the place looking presentable, even if it was empty. The windows were clean, though the glass was scratched in places. The wood around the window panes was painted a pastel pink, while the door frame was painted a deep burnt orange. Luckily, the door itself was simply stained.

There wasn't any dust inside though, from what Cecelia could see, the shop was clearly an older one. The floor was worn in spots and the one shelf near the window needed a good sanding to remove the chipped paint. It was clear that the previous owner's hats were an indication of his general tastes, as the paint was an eye-burning yellow. Even though the other shelves were hard to see through the mosaic window, the equally bright colors they were painted at least kept them from fading into the floor.

"Well, it could definitely use some work," she said, as a bit of the laugh that she was desperately trying to suppress sneaking out. After a moment, she gave up and started giggling. "I could understand trying to stick out with the colors on the outside, but why would anyone paint the inside of their store that way? And how shoddy was the paint job for it to chip in less than a year? No wonder rumor is that this place has been empty for 4 months."
Juniper Feldspar

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 am

Feldspar Tailoring
☙ 2nd of Dentis, 2718; Mid-afternoon ❧
Streaks of dark varnish marring the freckled skin of his forearms, and one noticeable one across his nose, Juniper squinted at the panelled wall before him, brush in hand, trying to see if he had even coverage over the newly-sanded wood. A happy gurgling chuckle made him turn his head, distracted, and he smiled.

Cecelia was helping him get the place ship shape and Old Rose-fashion, and she'd had no-one to leave her toddler with for the day. The tailor had no problem with this, he was used to children- his cousins had enough- and Galiya was a sweet girl.

Together, the two adults had devised a makeshift playpen from packing crates to keep the girl from getting into mischief, with a couple of blankets and a cushion or two, and some building blocks to keep her busy. Now, however, the blocks lay abandoned because something far more interesting was perched on the lip of one of the opened crates, swishing her long silver tail through woodshavings and chirruping at the child, crested head cocked with interest.

Chubby fingers grasped at air in the direction of the pretty miraan.

“You lose another feather and it’s on you, sweetling,” chided the tailor fondly, laying down his brush and scrubbing his hands on the rough fabric of the old work trousers he was wearing.

Cecelia was engaged in buffing up the brass metalwork of the gas lamps affixed to the walls of the old shop, and the little wick sneaked in a hug from behind while she was distracted, pressing a swift kiss to her cheek.

“Coffee? I’m going to pop upstairs and make a pot.”

She nodded, still concentrating on a tricky spot in the metalwork, and he trotted on up to the handy little apartment above the shop.
He couldn’t even begin to imagine how much work that first hideous shop would have taken him. Them. Even if the woodwork had been sound under that vile paint, which it had turned out it was not- the place had been riddled with dry rot and woodworm.

This place though? It was sweet, with so much character, and plenty of room, even if it was tucked away in a little winding street. There was a skylight into the back room, taking advantage of as much daylight as you could possibly get in the stacks, perfect for his work. Regis had promised to visit in the next couple of days and build him a worktable and all the shelving he needed in there.

Honestly though, much as this place would be perfect once they had finished, the discovery he was most grateful for on that day back in Yaris was Cecelia herself. He’d not thought for a moment that on his first day in the city he’d meet someone who would turn out to be such a devoted friend.

...I’m going to like it here…

☙❧
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stacks”

• Information