Different Shades Of The Same Blue

Open for Play
Brunnhold's college town, located inside the university grounds.

Norwyn Siordanti
Topics: 2
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Writer: Fermin

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:57 pm

The Plaza | Vortas 8, 2718 | Midday
It was a bit cold for the galdor's liking. He preferred summer days that bathed him with light; washing over his dark red hair and lightening it into a more fiery hue, warming him even when a breeze swept across now and then. Vortas was not one of his favored seasons for this exact reason, but on the upside, he was close to graduation and had an excuse to wear his cold-weather outfits.

Today wasn't horribly cold, he admitted, but still the chill nipped at his exposed face and brought a slight redness to his sharp nose and high cheekbones. The student was dressed a bit light for the day, likely the reason for his irritation, but he simply couldn't wear anything else on his trip to the Plaza. He had to look like an image of galdori supremacy--whatever that looked like.

More than he cared for displaying superiority or wealth, he cared to look nice.

Not wanting to linger out in the cold any longer than he would have to, Norwyn left the university's campus on his green bicycle, making his way past groups of students and quickly out to the gates. The Plaza was alive with vendors, stands, and customers alike; a mix of races that he could only find naturally in the Stacks. There were human and passive servants throughout the university, sure, but certainly no wicks, and even the passage of humans was limited.

Sometimes it made him nervous to interact or even just be in the same area as the lower races, but he couldn't let that stop him from doing what he wanted to do. It was his only proper day off of school, seeing as his mandatory dinner was tomorrow, and he intended to spend it in the Stacks and ignore his studies for just a bit. The majority of his time was spent deep in his books after all, and though the amount of work he had taken on warranted this much time, he figured he should take a day for himself.

This was what brought him to the Plaza midday, dismounting from his bike and setting it to lean against the gates--if anyone intended to steal it, they would be clear in his sights.

Was that racist, to think that one of the humans or wicks would steal it? Surely it had to be... but Norwyn didn't have the mind for politics like his father, and he intended to leave matters to Hadrian.

For a few minutes, Norwyn wandered through the stands and stalls, dark brown gaze sweeping each vendor's inventory and finding little interest in most. He wasn't one for knick-knacks or decor, and though he knew he would find hunger clawing at his stomach soon, he would prefer to visit one of the taverns rather than grab a snack from the plaza. The tall, redheaded galdor kept his hands in his pockets and his field dampened, almost doetoeing around the various peoples passing by.

Where some galdori chose to display their power and thrust it upon everyone they could, Norwyn tended to do the opposite. It took a lot to anger the man, despite his eccentricities, and one would only find him flexing his red-shifted field in the most frustrating of times.

Or they could just insult his style--that would work just as quick.

A flash of light caught his attention; the reflection of the sun in silk fabrics drawing him nearer to the stands displaying fabrics and other supplies. This had been his true destination, as was clear in the delighted air about him as he approached the stall, hands reaching out to smooth his fingers down the closest silk.

"Oh, lovely," mumbled Norwyn to himself, letting go of the fabric and turning to look at everything else they were displaying. It was another galdor running the stand; an aging Mugrobi woman with a warm smile on her face that offered a nod of greeting to the student.

"Nice to see you again, darling. Is Anaxas still treating you well?"

"Of course. A bit cold for me, but it's worth it to see all you young-ones and your passions--did you sew those garments yourself, Mr. Siordanti?"

"Please Adana, just Norwyn, but yes I did. Is today's attire to your liking, dear?" the student smiled, always having found the woman a pleasure. She was soft in all things; soft-spoken, soft-bodied, soft-natured towards everyone without regards for their race or position.

"Your work is always to my liking, Norwyn."

It brought a small laugh from the younger galdor, his eyes turning back to continue looking through the materials on display.

Tags:
Juniper Feldspar
Topics: 10
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Foxing
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:51 am

The Plaza|Midday
8th VORTAS 2718
Juniper strode happily through the streets, covered basket on his arm and a spring in his step. Miranda was a familiar warm coiled lump in the inside breast pocket of his coat. He'd shut up shop for the afternoon, as he was on a mission to find the perfect trim for a new client's coat- nothing he had in stock would suit.

...maybe I can pick up fabric for a new waistcoat while I'm here...

He remembered the stall, it had caught his eye on his first exploratory visit to the plaza, bright silks displayed with a similar mind to the ones in his own shop- to draw the gaze and intrigue the customer.

...was it this avenue or the next... he wondered, stopping briefly to dart a quick glance down the intersection of stalls. The sudden cessation of movement caused his coat hem to swirl around his legs, flashes of shimmering purple shot turquoise dupion catching the midday sunlight and then settling back within the smooth expanse of fine dove grey wool.

In deference to the gentle chill in the air, the wick had a soft periwinkle scarf tossed around his throat, and as the breeze caught it he reached up a hand to tuck it in a little more securely, still looking around for his intended destination.

Another turn and he spotted it, the bright colours glinting like a jewel amongst the duller wares on sale.

Usually he ordered direct from a merchant in Old Rose Harbour, but this was a rush order, and to be quite honest it was a treat to look through new prints and buttons and to choose in the open air.

As he stepped up to the stall he could see that the proprietor was chatting to a young redhead.

...as if you're so mature, he can't be that far from your age...

He found himself watching the man- the galdor, field pulled tight but unmistakeable- sidelong as he flicked through a box of trims wound on card, and smiling at his enthusiasm. Then a realisation hit him, and he froze briefly, cheeks redenning.

...is that how I look...it's clocking adorable...

Green manicured nails caught his eye and he found himself wondering for the second time in a month if it was a look he should try.

Then the stallholder's attention flicked to him and he smiled at her, reaching into the basket to bring out a swatch of cherry-red wool, felted soft and thick for a winter coat.

"Good morning, ma'am, I'm after something to trim this with. The lady likes florals and I have nothing to suit. Perhaps something in a warm brown or deep green? Nothing too flashy."

She smiled warmly, taking the swatch from him and holding it up to the light.

"Good to see you again, lad. Was a scornight ago, wasn't it? How's your shop doing?"
/style2]
Norwyn Siordanti
Topics: 2
Race: Galdor
Writer: Fermin

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:42 pm

The Plaza | Vortas 8, 2718 | Midday
The stall was only quiet for a moment before another voice spoke up, unfamiliar this time, catching Norwyn's attention even if he didn't glance over to look just yet. He was far too invested in the shimmering Mugrobi silk in front of him; dyed with gold-dust and an excellent complement to the dark green nails that smoothed over the fabric. It was his preference over, say, Hoxian silks--he found the entire kingdom to be far too stark and stiff for his taste, and the fabrics just the same.

He could feel the small weight of a field from the unknown man--no, a glamour was more like it--and it finally brought him to turn his head, observing as the older man handed over a swatch of fabric to Adana. The man had to be a wick with that small of a field, though Norwyn had never truthfully interacted with wicks or witches beyond perhaps passing them on the streets down here. His childhood certainly hadn't been spent fraternizing with the lower races, and in his ten years studying in Brunnhold he definitely hadn't had the chance to befriend one.

This wick didn't seem horrible--he had always heard about how savage they were--and it made him wonder if his preconceived notions, for a moment, were wrong.

Beyond the matter of his race, however, Adana made mention of his shop. A tailoring shop, he presumed? Now that was something he couldn't just ignore.

"Might I suggest the latter?" the galdor interjected, "I do think a deep green would look perfect against the cherry-red of that wool."

Norwyn stepped away from the golden silks he had been fawning over, approaching the wick with a curious expression. He was so well-presented; how could he be a wick if a wick was truly savage and unmannered?

"My apologies for eavesdropping, dear, but you have a shop? If your coat is any indication of your usual work, I must say I would love to drop in for a look sometime."

Really the galdor was a bit more excited than he should've been, speaking with a wick, but it wasn't every day that he ran into someone with a shared interest. Besides, the more he observed, the more he thought that his fellow galdori had to be misunderstanding something, or that this man was a perfect exception for his kind.

"I'm a tailor myself, though I admit it's more of a hobby, what with the busy school life I lead for now."

Juniper Feldspar
Topics: 10
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Foxing
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:20 pm

The Plaza|Midday
8th VORTAS 2718
Juniper ducked his head and smiled a little bashfully. "You remembered? It's doing well. I've been open a month now. Word spread astonishingly fast, I was worried I'd have no custom for a month or so... But I was lucky."

He looked up as the galdor stepped closer, recognising the light in the younger man's eyes and smiled at his interjection.

"Green, you say?"

Adana nodded in agreement.

"Aye, t'will be a beautiful complement and I do believe I have just the thing..."

As the old Mugrobi rummaged through boxes, Juniper chuckled, shaking his head.

"I should stop second guessing myself, the green was my first thought too. And no apologies necessary," the wick added, "we are in the Plaza after all, if you don't want the whole world to hear what you say you'd best hold your tongue. I'm Juniper," he added, holding out a hand. "Juniper Feldspar, and you are most welcome to drop by any time. Look for the silver miraan, a couple of streets down from the Post Office. I..." and he broke off as his gaze flicked past the man to the shimmering golden silk that the galdor had been caressing.

He made an involuntary noise in his throat.

...oh that is stunning...

His left hand moved up absentmindedly to cup the back of his neck as he blinked, right hand still extended to shake the other's. Another moment and he realised what he was doing and coughed awkwardly.

...moony clocking erse, get a grip, you're still after customers...

"Sorry, that fabric is gorgeous. You're a student, you say? Can't be long until you graduate, surely?"

...gosh, he really is cute...

"What are you studying?"

At that moment, Adana gave a cry of triumph, holding up a card of wound trim in a deep, forest green.

"Here we are, lad, how's that?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stacks”

• Information