The Question (Elise)

Open for Play
Brunnhold's college town, located inside the university grounds.

Daalton Gilardioni
Topics: 5
Race: Galdor
: Better Than You
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Bard
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:34 pm

38 Ophus 2718

"I'm sorry I have been so distant lately," Daalton apologised, casting a shy glance sideways at Elisora. He had on a smart sweater, a charcoal grey, and tan pants. His coat, large and warm, was draped over her shoulders as they walked, blocking her from the cold. His arms swung lightly by his side, and she could tell from the twitching in his hands he wanted to hold one of hers. The smell of freshly baked bread permeated the air, and Daalton looked up to see the pale blue sign of the Half-Moon Bakery, a slight smile on his lips. It was the perfect place to pause.

"I have been so busy with work, and with writing Dr. Jalali that I have somehow managed to neglect the best thing I have going for me," he said, this time meeting her gaze full on. It seemed strange that the icy glare he usually had could be replaced by a look as tender and warm as the one he offered her, but it was there. Finally, he reached out and grabbed a pale hand, smiling lightly.

"Would you like a moon-cake? They smell so wonderful, and the freshly baked ones should be a relief on a day like today," he mused, leading her inside the warm shop. The woman behind the counter looked tired, but Daalton barely noticed. He only watched Elise, gently guiding her to the counter as he peered around for the source of the smell.

"Afternoon. What can I get for ya?" The woman asked pleasantly. As haggard and tired as she looked, she sounded worse. Daalton looked at her, directly, and smiled.

"Hello, young lady," he started. She looked surprised, since she was obviously older than he was, but smiled nonetheless. "I'd like a half-dozen moon-cakes, the fresher, the better, please."

Please. It wasn't usually in Daalton's wheelhouse to ask for things, let alone politely, but here, with Elise, he had to be polite. The woman looked behind her, then back to Daalton and then Elisora.

"Be about a few minutes onna fresh batch. Care ta wait?" She asked, to which Daalton nodded with a smile, somehow wolfish and meek simultaneously.

"Of course. I'm sure they are well worth the wait," he affirmed, turning back to Elise and leading her slightly away from the counter.

Looking at her, she was beautiful. She was intelligent, attractive, kind... How she wasn't yet married had baffled him. Perhaps it was him. He realized he wasn't easy to deal with, and certainly not for the amount of time she'd dealt with him, but... No, it couldn't be him. Perhaps she only had eyes for him. All the better.

"I think Dr. Jalali is going to ask me to help with her work. She is studying the passive mind, hoping to discover the truth behind the condition. Elise, this could be a breakthrough for science everywhere, and I believe she is going to ask me to participate." His eyes were shining, his interest evident. If he could convince Elise that the research was purely medical, she would be behind it. She might even... No, he couldn't get ahead of himself.

"This could be huge for me, for... us." His voice was soft as his eyes sparkled, and he smiled and squeezed her hand.

"But enough about me, my dear, I have not heard enough about how things have been going for you," he said, prompting her to share. Another smile lit his lips. His work had been consuming him, it was time for them to reacquaint with each other, even though they saw each other often. This was the day for the question.

Elisora Rivaen
Topics: 8
Race: Writer
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 am

38th of Ophus, 2718
It still felt like a dream.

Even with his heavy coat resting on her shoulder and his distinct scent wrapped around her, Elise could not quite believe that she had truly let Daalton finally slip into the role of a loving partner. For the past few seasons, the young woman kept bracing herself for the dream to break, for the nightmare to return – but it never did. Every time she disagreed with him, even with the smallest of arguments, she had waited for him to snap. Yet, after time passed, he had kept his word.

It seemed that he might actually be a changed man.

Clouds of doubt still flooded her mind, yet she could not stop the warm feeling spreading inside her chest when he slipped his fingers through hers as he led her to the bakery. His hand was warm and familiar and she took it without thinking. It was too good to be true, but Daalton’s soft gaze reminded her that this was real. Even his words sounded too sweet for it to be a reality.

Elise sighed in relief as warm air and the smell of bread embraced her in the modest establishment. A small breeze fluttered against the skirt of her dress as the door closed behind them. “That sounds lovely,” the young woman replied to the offer. Her stomach seemed to growl gently in response – she had skipped breakfast that day.

To distract herself from the hunger, she decided to look around. Students and teachers alike were making themselves comfortable, mulling over which bread to pick and sipping their hot coffee. As her eyes scanned the room, she spotted William, one of the few students who had approached her to study more about medicine and anatomy. They were all Daalton’s students and went through the extra effort to avoid his wrath. When he realized she saw him watching her, he blushed and quickly looked away.

“Passives?” she asked, clearly surprised at the revelation. “I would never have imagined you, of all people, would be interested in studying them.” Years had passed, yet her recollection of that day in the cadaver room had barely faded. It was the first time she realized that what Daalton might more than she could handle. Still, seeing his excitement tugged a smile from her lips. “I haven’t seen you this excited for anything before.”

“But enough about me, my dear, I have not heard enough about how things have been going for you.”

Her dark eyes flicked to meet his before skittering away to eye the beautifully decorated pastries set behind the glass counter. She had spent days wondering how she would tell him about the decision she had made just a while back. It wasn’t like she could put it off forever. Even when she knew he probably would not like it. “Actually… I was thinking about returning to Vienda.” Her voice was slightly hurried, but now that the heaviest words had got out, the young woman had the strength to meet Daalton’s blue gaze once more. “I miss my work there, the hospital, the operating theatre, the chaos of the emergency department.”

“With you being busy, it just feels like I have nothing to do around here.” While she had done her own experiments involving the nervous system, Elise had recently found out that she didn’t quite have the patience of a researcher. To repeat the same process over and over and over again… Things had been going slow for her. She had even gone as far as offering her services to the infirmary, but dealing with students faking ridiculous illnesses to avoid class was grating on her nerves.

She turned her body to truly face him, taking in the striking professor. “My parents had been nagging me too ever since I told them that we are together again,” she added as she watched the old baker pulling out pans of fluffy cake out of the oven. “They wanted to see you, apparently.” It was putting it mildly. They had been devastated when they heard about her relationship with Daalton ending and now that they were back… Elise wouldn’t be surprised if her mother decided to throw a party for that reason alone.

After a brief moment of silence, she decided to ask. “What do you think?”
Daalton Gilardioni

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:35 pm

38 Ophus 2718

If the moment before, his face shone with excitement, this moment it did not. The shadow of an emotion Elisora had never seen passed over his face, clouding the light in his eyes. Was it pain? Sadness? It was hard to place; Daalton did not often show these emotions. He grew quiet, his mouth closed, as he examined her face.

He could see it, the desire to be helping people. Brunnhold was his home, but not hers. She had a life elsewhere, and she had not expected to remain in Brunnhold with Daalton when she first came back. She hadn't intended to stay at all, and Daalton knew that her heart laid in Vienda. Her family, her work... All of it was there. The only thing here was Daalton, and even he had been barely present. He couldn't fault her.

He swallowed hard, the laryngeal prominence in his throat displacing and stretching the skin. His cold blue eyes studied her face a bit long, before he took in a small breath of air.

"I am sure they have opportunities for me in Vienda, right?" He gauged her reaction. He had just tacitly agreed to accompany her home, to uproot his life and make it hers. "Jobs are easier to come by than what we have."

He smiled softly. His heart was pounding, and he'd be surprised if Elise couldn't hear it. His pale hand squeezed hers gently, and suddenly, he was aware of those around him. Some were his students, gawking at the two of them. Seeing a professor about was akin to watching a dog walk on its hind legs, and Daalton pretended not to notice them. Let them stare.

"I have been doing some think--" The baker came back around with a package wrapped in waxy paper and tied with twine. She smiled and held it out to Daalton, who exchanged the money with her with an appreciative nod. "Thank you," he said, turning back to Elise.

"We should go find a sunny spot to enjoy these while they are still warm," he suggested, the corners of his lips pulling upward. The cakes smelled wonderful, and Daalton wanted to ask over the soft pastries. As they exited the shop, Daalton turned and waved politely to the baker, and the two emerged into the cool, sunny day.

"I know just the place," he said, a wide grin spreading across his face. He all but pulled her along, hurrying to the spot. He knew that he left her on a cliffhanger, and he wanted to ask her. As they arrived in the small open area, Daalton smiled. He took his jacket from Elise's shoulders and set it on the ground, wrapping a thin arm around her shoulders and holding her close to keep her warm.

"Elisora, I have been thinking. Our history is... Well, it is not something I am proud of. But I have grown, and I have been trying to show you that. If you want to move back to Vienda, I want to go with you. I want to be with you. Elise..."

Pause. Let the suspense build.

"I want to marry you. I have not shown you how happy you make me, but I want to. For the rest of my life, under the eyes of Alioe and the Circle," he said, the words rushing from his mouth. He was excited, flustered... Nervous. She'd never seen him nervous, he was always in control. But here, it seemed as if he might not be.

"Whatever that takes."

He was resolute in his words, staring into her eyes. Without looking, he slipped the knot on the pastries and offered her one. "You do not have to answer now, if you would like some time to consider it," he said, somewhat piteously. He watched her cautiously.

Elisora Rivaen

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:36 am

38th of Ophus, 2718
Elise blinked in surprise as the young professor took it all in a stride. “You will? You’ll come to Vienda with me?” She had expected some displeasure, arguments coming from him. Perhaps even efforts to convince her to stay. But there was none of that. He would follow her, just like that. What the young woman had in mind was that they still could visit each other and send correspondences while they were apart. It never crossed her mind that Daalton would just… drop everything in order to accompany her to Vienda. “But your work…”

“Jobs are easier to come by than what we have.” Daalton always knew the right words to say and Elise blushed at his easy declaration. She didn’t know what it was that came over him that day, but it was certainly quite unusual.

“You’ve been very cheerful today,” Elise couldn’t help noting as she followed his lead and left the bakery. This man in front of her had almost made her forget about the boy who in the end had terrified her. He’s kind and sweet and generous – and a part of her still couldn’t quite accept it. She squeezed his hand once in curiosity. “What is it that you’ve been thinking about?”

Unfortunately, it seemed like the man was determined to make her wait before explaining what he was on about. That made her all the more eager to hurry along and settle down once the professor laid down his coat on the ground.

As Daalton wrapped an arm around her, Elise leaned into him without thinking and rested her head on his shoulder. Surprisingly, it felt good being with him. And it was terrifyingly easy. He already knew her and she knew him, each other’s habits, likes and dislikes. After spending the last few years alone, it felt like getting back a missing part of her. Not that she had told Daalton any of this… And then he started talking about being with her, She knew she wanted the same thing right now, that he was–

“I want to marry you.” Those words made her straighten and look upon his face. In a split of a second, Elise realized she was not hearing things. The way he was looking at her… He was being serious.

Her entire world froze and she barely even heard the rest of his words. Her breath hitched, her eyes widened and Daalton would be able to see the flush spreading across her cheeks before she looked away. She was suddenly breathless, her chest tight and her heart pounding as her mind tried to get over the shock.

This… There had been no indication of this. It hadn’t even been a year since they got back together. They never talked about marriage or anything like it. Never had it ever crossed her mind that Daalton would propose to her now. This was supposed to be nothing other than a normal date. She had missed him and she had been thrilled when he finally told her that he could take a break from his work.

“Why? Why now?” she asked softly as she took the cake in her hands, looking down at it as the delicious smell permeated the air. Most galdori their age usually pursued their careers and education first. Marriage was the last thing on Elise’s mind and she thought Daalton would be the same way. “You have some many things going on for you, your students, your research… Do you really want to put all of them off to make a family with me?”

Years ago, Elise had always been sure that she would marry him one day. Daalton had been everything she could have hoped for. Handsome, smart, charming. Her parents adored him and he showered her with everything she could ever want. There was no doubt in her mind that she would spend the rest of her life by his side. Elise’s younger self had daydreamed about their wedding, the house they would live in, the children that they would hold. That slowly changed when she knew him better, when his darker side started to slip through until she couldn’t take it anymore. Now… she had given him another chance but she had expected things to go at a leisurely pace.

She finally turned to look at him, her dark eyes locked onto his blue ones. It didn’t really matter to her what his explanation was. All that mattered was one thing. He spoke about showing her how happy she made him, but she needed more than that. “Do you care for me, Daalton?” Her voice was firm, demanding the truth for him. Perhaps she was fooling herself, but a part of her believed she knew him better than anyone else in this world – and even then he was still so unpredictable. “Do you love me?”
Daalton Gilardioni

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:22 am

38 Ophus 2718

Daalton had expected the resistance, had expected Elise to question him. He paused for a moment, staring into her eyes, and there was no hint of malice in them. Gone was the typical cynical gaze, replaced by something that resembled a harmless kitten mixed with a wounded deer. Daalton's throat clenched, his heart raced... This was the moment, the moment he was expecting.

It had to be perfect.

The Gilardioni never broke her gaze, instead letting her question him. He remained quiet, letting her express her feelings, knowing that she would question him. Daalton's facial expression didn't change. He just looked into her eyes, the sincerity in them staggering for the junior professor. Did he love her? That was a strange question, because he knew what her actual question was, what was buried beneath those specific words.

Are you capable of loving another?

He knew that the question bounced around her head, but he let her finish. He let her express. That was important; it was the key. When she finished, Daalton took her hand in his, soft but strong in his grip, and he gazed. Gods, did he gaze.

"I have spent years focusing on myself, on my work, on my research. I told myself that happiness was derived success, as many of our race do. I have been conditioned to succeed, but they never tell you that success is not always measured in accomplishment. There is more to life than working hard, than giving yourself to your studies and work and your family. There comes a time when you must do what you know is the right thing for you. For me, that is you, Elise. From the moment I laid eyes on you, I knew you would be my wife one day. If I had to become another man, I would. If I had to give up everything to which I hold claim, I would. From now on, my family is you and whatever beautiful children we will have together. That is what I want."

He paused, the frozen wastes of his irises glistening in the light.

"I do not claim to know what love is. I do not know that I have ever loved someone enough to understand it, but I think that this is the feeling about which authors pen novels. I do not scare easily, but you saying no frightens me. You ask if I love you, and I can only respond with this..."

Another pause, pregnant.

"With everything that I know," he finished, letting the words hang in the air. "In all truth, I have wanted to ask you for months now, but I never knew if it would be the right time. Your return to Brunnhold shocked me. I was not sure I would ever see you again, but when you came back... I knew that I had to marry you."

His voice cracked. The timing was perfect. Tears rimmed the bottoms of his eyes as he stared at her, and a shiver ran through his body. The wind was chilly, and without his overcoat, he was cold. He ran both hands over Elise's arms, both to warm his hands and Elise.

"If you want to return to Vienda, I will find work there. If you want to settle down in Mugroba, or Hox, or Gior, I am yours to take with you. All you need is to say yes, and I will forever do my duty to make you happy."

He had been anticipating the moment, but he surprised himself. Something stirred within him. Still, though, he retained his composure, the tears in his eyes chilling him further from the wind.

Elisora Rivaen

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:26 am

38th of Ophus, 2718
Every single word tore at the walls she had carefully built around her heart.

Elise had sworn to herself that she would be careful, that even with this second chance she had given Daalton, she would be vigilant. And she had been, as best as she could. Yet, the young professor never had given her any reason to question his intention.

She looked down at his hands that were holding her, noticing how cold his skin was. His was the only touch she knew, the only intimacy she had ever received. Daalton… Despite everything that happened, he had been by her side longer than anyone had been. It was nearly impossible to imagine herself being with someone else, to spend the rest of her life with someone else.

His words… Perhaps he had changed. Perhaps he did love her, in his own way.

A small whisper slipped through the cracks, reminding her of that day he had insulted her, humiliated. Then to their first reunion, how cold his eyes had been as he gazed upon her, him questioning her feelings. That their first relationship had been perfect at the beginning too.

But… he hadn’t been that way for months, seasons. Ever since she had given him another chance, he had been nothing but understanding – as best as he could at least. Elise still noticed the occasional times his annoyance would flare when she disagreed with him, but he kept himself in check, willing himself to hear her out. And his emotions, it was more than what he had ever given her before – given anyone before. Daalton had always been tricky to read and closed off. He was not one to show emotions but today it felt like he bared himself to her. The crack in his voice, the tears in his eyes… It looked real to her. It was real. It had to be real.

Elise was also not the naïve teenage girl that she was all those years ago. She wasn’t head over heels over Daalton anymore, but she cared for him – more than she thought was wise. She knew what she was getting into, better than anyone else could. What being with him would be like. And despite everything that happened, being with him brought on warmth that nobody else could. She loved him, even after all these years.

That’s… that’s enough reason to say yes, right?

Slowly, the young woman nodded and smiled up at him. It still felt like a dream, like this wasn’t really happening. Her mind seemed to have a difficult time wrapping herself around his words, so her illogical heart decided to take the reins. Without thinking, Elise reached out and rested her hand above his heart. “Then yes.” As soon as the words slipped through her lips, the weight on her shoulder seemed to have lifted and the worries faded away. Just like that. Perhaps it was the rush of adrenaline pumped through her body by her pounding heart. Whatever it was, it painted her cheeks pink and brightened her eyes. “I will marry you, Daalton Gilardioni.”
Daalton Gilardioni

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm

38 Ophus 2718

Nothing.

Nothing in the world could have made him happier than hearing her say yes. The smile broke out across his face, wide and bright, and he pulled her in with a tight hug. Upon release, he kissed her forehead, still smiling widely. He was apparently speechless, just staring into her eyes. As cold as he was, he felt warm, his face flushed. He couldn't stop smiling.

"You have no idea how happy that makes me. I have an idea I would like to run by you, if that is agreeable," Daalton said, hesitating slightly. His smile faltered for a moment, but he picked it right back up.

"I think that we should get married in Vienda. I know that our life is here right now, but I think that your parents would very much enjoy being a part of the planning and ceremony, and I would like to include them. My parents are... Unable to help, and I know it would mean more to your family than my own."

He smiled again, this time squeezing her hands. He knew that her parents loved him, perhaps more than Elise did, and that including them would mean quite a bit to them. He paused and waited before continuing on, giving her a chance to reply.

"I have already asked if it would be fine if I took a vacation, though the offer to move back to Vienda is still on the table if that is what you think would be right for you... For us and our family moving forward. As it stands, though, I have some time free if you would care to go home and tell your parents in person."

He also knew that her family was important to her, and Daalton wanted her to be happy. She was going to be his wife, and that meant quite a bit to the man. He wanted her to have everything she wanted, he wanted her to be happy. When others saw them in public, he wanted them to be envious of the life she lived, and he knew he could give that to her.

In truth, he had been planning for her to say yes. Of course she could have said no, but Daalton had banked on the idea that she would accept. He offered her a moon cake, smiling still, as he broke off a piece for her and a piece for himself. He did not bring champagne, as that would have been an obvious giveaway, but this would suffice.

"To us." He tapped his piece against hers and took a bite, chewing slowly and savouring the flavour. He felt like this was the right time, the right place... And she said yes. Most amazingly, though...

He felt.

Elisora Rivaen

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:09 am

38th of Ophus, 2718
The sight of his smile banished any last bit of her lingering doubts. She had never seen him like this. Blood rushed to her face as he planted a gentle kiss on the top of her head. She looked up to meet his blue eyes as she listened, remembering how the cold had melted from his eyes.

Elise laughed lightly as she leaned against him once he finished. “I see you’ve planned ahead… But yes, definitely. My mother would disown me if we told her through a letter.” She could already see it, her mother trying to turn this into a massive event. The older woman never missed the slightest excuse to make a party and marriage was perhaps the best excuse of them all. “She will want the wedding to happen very soon,” she pointed, half a joke and half a warning.

A wedding… Even the mention of it made her heart race. Daalton as her husband. All because she had impulsively decided to attend his class to see how he was doing since their split. He hardly seemed like the same person. Something that she never thought was possible – he seemed too arrogant to do anything like change, after all. But here they were, holding each other and Elise could easily say that she couldn’t remember the last time she felt so happy.

Her eyes then slid away to look at their surroundings, the students and teachers populating the space around them. Brunnhold hadn’t given her the best memories and she was never that fond of it to begin with. She wanted to see more, more of everything. “I certainly don’t imagine myself living in the Stacks for the rest of my life, but that’s probably a discussion for another day.”

Pale fingers took the cake that was offered to her. “To us,” she echoed before finally tasting the sweet moon cake.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stacks”

• Information