[Closed] Freefall

Things finally come to a head, and with the help of Kaelum and Illustrious Peak, Naul and Ath escape Gior, fleeing back to Anaxas. In doing so, they also take Naul's notes and the book that was dragged up from the first expedition. Lomenark will be furious.

Open for Play
Gior's galdori temple city and also most populated. Home of the ruling Gioran family as well as the center of Gioran education with both the Temple and the University in the same location.

Athrym Bruthgrave
Topics: 13
Race: Galdor
: Welcome to Brunnhold. Now go home.
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Raksha
Post Templates: Post Templates

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:24 am

Hamis 38th, 2719
VERIT-LIE| AFTERNOON
Athrym took comfort in the warm of his arms, for a moment at least, unsure of what in fact to expect at all when they entered Verit-Lie. She’d honestly never even seen a Gioran human, kept so far from them in the confines of Qrieth. Were they albinos too, or did Imaan mark their impurities plainly? Did they speak the common tongue, or did they bleat like mountain goats?

"Are you asking me to play at diplomacy? Gods, I'm just not the man for that, but alright."

The pale woman let her gaze drift to the Da Huane siblings and made a sound in the back of her throat.

“Somehow I believe you might be our only choice at the moment, Most Esteemed Siordanti.” She said quietly, the title bitter and ashy on her tongue where once it seemed so powerful. As they dismounted, the blonde helped her fiance, frown creasing her brow when he pushed aside her comments. His cheeks were hollow, his eyes sunken and dark circles under them, proclaiming his sheer exhaustion. There would be rest, Imaan damn it, whether he wanted it or not. She would cast something should the need arise, just to be sure of it.

They entered the township, Nauleth wearing his glasses that somehow made him seem so much more respectable then before. As though he hadn’t just taken a flying leap off the mountain on a gliding mammal to escape the clutches of the Matriarch of Gior. Humans glared with open shock, fear and anger, baffled by their appearance. Athrym walked closer to the Anaxi, careful to keep her rising panic away from her field. It was like strolling into a den of kluiws—waiting for the attack that would inevitably come.

There was no way they would get out of here alive should the animals wish to take them down.

Her eyes darted to the one that approached them, drawing her icy aura closer in preparation. So this was how it would end? After hatchers and mythic beasts and vengeful Guardians, they would be killed by creatures with farming tools. It spoke to them, specifically to Nauleth, and her heart pounded in her chest. It was shocking to hear Gioran so odd yet so familiar from it’s lips, and she couldn’t help but glance at Kaelum. It appeared he and Leyenak were of the same thought, though it was hard to tell behind the cloth it seemed the passive’s eyebrows had shot up. They did however, keep their tongues, all staying precisely where they were as the Anaxas gentleman took the lead. Kaelum towered over them all, threatening even if he didn’t mean to be, and the human’s eyed him with a definite wariness.

As Nauleth waved papers at the dirty blonde man, he didn’t make a move to take any of them, watching the red head carefully whilst he spoke in the dialect of the Anaxas kingdom. He narrowed his eyes, turning his head slightly as though trying to listen better, grasping the hoe tightly when the man moved to shove his papers back in his pocket. Athrym listened to his glorious speech with one eye on the man before them, the other on the gathering around them, a little more than impressed by his very formal lie. A politicians son, if ever one existed.

He finished, smiling briefly and waiting expectantly to see what the humans would do, and for a moment the Gioran was absolutely positive they were about to find out just how sharp those tools were. Kaelum’s field brushed against her own, as though silently suggesting she ready herself for the fight, and she took a deep breath, summer gaze counting the people around them. Too many, far too many for singular battle spells. Maybe she could cast an area spell? There were advanced spells that were dangerous, so very dangerous, but would it matter by that point? Her pulse raced in her ears, and she began to gather her field when suddenly a sharp womans voice rang out from beyond the hoe-wielding man, speaking in the same curious Gioran dialect.

“Derrick! Put away your weapons! How do you expect to break down the walls when you bolster them so?” A woman strode into their midst, older than any of the group, with flowing white hair and soft curves. Her pale face was marked with crows feet, and her eyes were a gentle violet. She walked with a slight limp, leaning on a short walking stick, her clothing loose and flowing. If she didn’t lean so heavily on the walking stick, she would be as tall as Nauleth at least. As the older woman reached the man, she placed a hand on the farming utensil and lowered it gently.

“Don’t be the beast they suspect you to be.” She said softly, before turning to Nauleth and bowing slightly, one hand on her chest.

“Be welcome here, galdori. I apologize for my kinsmen, they are not often faced with so many of you at once. It was…disarming.” The older woman spoke in Estuan, heavily with a Gioran accent. Moving carefully closer, she glanced at the trio behind him with a raised eyebrow.

“We don’t often get visits from Gioran galdori, so you must understand their concern. I am Jolette, the magister of this township.” Looking back at Nauleth, she gestured back the way she’d come from, to a quaint cottage on a small rise beyond the village centre.

“Perhaps you and your company would care to accompany me to my home, whilst we work through your request, Mister…?” Athrym kept her eyes on the woman, as she moved closer to the Anaxi, unsure how to handle anything that was happening around them. Jolette looked at Leyenak then, offering the youngster a warm maternal smile.

“Your girl there looks as though she needs a short rest at the least. A snowstorm can be quite the event for such a small thing.” Barely waiting for a reply, she turned and began to walk towards the cottage, glancing back to gesture at the group.

“Come, come! You are safe here, galdori.” Begrudgingly, the humans began to disperse, though their eyes followed them as they walked.

Tags:
Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
: Magus in the Making
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 am

38th of Hamis, 2719
QRIETH | MIDDAY

All Nauleth really wanted to do in this moment was curl up near something that resembled a hearth and sob himself to sleep, preferably with the petite blonde who admonished him so sternly as close to his person as possible. As it was, suspicious humans cast their doubtful glances at the weary group of unusual travelers, at the fugitives, and the redheaded physicist wasn't entirely sure which of them was more scared than the other, especially considering just how practically at the humans' mercy the three galdor and their passive companion appeared to be. He refused to believe this was the proverbial end of their journey, however, unwilling to be overwhelmed by sheer numbers of non-magical strangers after surviving hatchers and rifts and Gioran politics.

But, thankfully, if Naul had very little else to cling to at this moment, he still had a few wits left. Waving his papers and putting on his best Viendan Vyrdag-ready imitation, he did his best to bluff and bluster, to distract and overwhelm the frightened human with his hoe threatening himself and his companions. In all truth, the galdori weren't quite yet outnumbered in his opinion, but that was only because the Anaxi knew of Kaelum's talents just as well, if not better, than he knew Athrym's. Belike to the youngest of Lomenak's sons in focus and magical pursuits, where Naul often hesitated, the Gioran hardly ever blinked an eye.

Then again, laying a swath of humanity to waste would surely not get them on an airship and would surely leave behind too obvious a trail to be followed. Besides, it simply wasn't necessary. Contrary to his companions' beliefs, Naul was quite aware that humans weren't insects to be crushed underfoot, though he was also aware of the depths of his ignorance to their actual culture and thought processes. These ones seemed to feel the same about galdorkind—

Some voice rose up from the back of the crowd, sharp and authoritative. The redhead's field sigiled and his body tensed, digging fingernails into the palm of his free hand as his gold-rimmed gaze searched for the face that belonged to the woman shouting. Parting the crowd was an old woman, tall had she not been bent by age and a need for support. She chided her people, boldly ordering them to put down their agricultural artillery.

Naul did not relax, not entirely, even if his facial expression softened just a little, one side before the other. The elder introduced herself with the title of Magister, and the word never sounded so foreign before to the academic redhead. He blinked, confused for a moment surrounded by humanity and hearing such a word. It took him a moment to understand that was her position within the township.

"I am glad for your arrival, Magister Jolette. I suspect, however, that you don't get much visitation from many galdori at all—Verit-Lie isn't marked as an Anaxi tourist destination of choice last time I checked." He offered a hint of humor, shoulders sagging even while he kept the rest of himself in check: still alert, still paranoid. Her violet gaze swept over Kaelum and Leyenak and Athrym, though it didn't linger with recognition.

"I did not realize there was much to work through—are our needs not simple enough?" Nauleth did not entirely feel like continuing to be charming, a knot of worry twisting tightly in his gut as he wondered just how long it would take to be pursued off the mountains of Qrieth into this very valley, aeyoph or not.

"Still, I'm sure we could all appreciate a brief respite after so long spent discovering how lost we'd become." He glanced first to Athrym, then to Kaelum, though he wasn't asking permission so much as informing them, with his expression, that it would be in their best interests to play along and look for signs of betrayal. Would these humans—who already distrusted them—be willing to encounter more galdori simply to turn them in if they knew they were wanted, if they knew how they were hunted already?

"We all thank you for your hospitality." It was the tall, blond Huane who spoke, forcing the words through a filter of uncomfortable humility. It was a very difficult thing to say, Kaelum struggling to keep the disgust from his face. He might have even bobbed a little, in some semblance of a bow, with the epitome of politeness etched into every motion even if it was obvious by his tone of voice the stooping to this level of pretend equality caused him what might have been physical discomfort to do so.

Naul smiled, flashing a coy sort of grin to tease the poor creature as well as to thank him, before turning,

"Mister, uh, Mister—hmm—Ayleward. Mateo Ayleward." The not-entirely-clever Siordanti stole the name of one of his closest Brunnhold friends with the most natural of smiles, and he paused to give everyone else an opportunity to give their fictional introductions, hoping they were all smart enough to catch onto his decision for false names, "I fear we've lost quite a bit of time already, but you are correct about the snowstorm. It is quite dangerous in the mountains."

Safety was not a word the ginger professor was willing to put any trust in, and he did his best to hide his apprehension from his wind-burned, snow-stung face.

He feared sitting almost as much as he feared humans with farm-made weaponry at this point. He knew resting would only let his exhaustion seep in deeper, would only weaken his ability to stay alert. Everything hurt—every joint and muscle ached from all the cold and casting and climbing—and what didn't hurt tingled and stung, nerve damage irritated by runoff and frayed by so much activity. Warily, he watched as many of their audience began to back away, appeased by the trust of their elder, put at peace by Magister Jolette.

Naul reached for Athrym's hand without much hesitation, leaning a bit toward the petite blonde for support as he began to follow the old woman.
This isn't Brunnhold anymore, ersehat, and you're not going home.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:20 am

Hamis 38th, 2719
VERIT-LIE| AFTERNOON
Jolette chuckled softly at Nauleth’s not-so-patient commentary, choosing not to answer the man as she made her slow hobbling way back to the cottage, leaning heavily on the walking stick in her hand.

“Ayleward. A true Anaxi name if ever I have heard one.” The older woman said with a soft tone of amusement, as though there was some delightful secret they were all sharing between themselves. As they crested the pathway that led to her cottage, the group of galdori would see it was a wooden structure, thatched with tied twigs and bark, with rounded glass paned windows and a quaint white wooden fence. Bright, vibrant lavender and hyssop grew under the window sills, and a couple of domesticated grouse scratched at the ground. A white osta appeared at the left window, large pink eyes watching with intelligent curiosity.

Reaching the doorway, Jolette pushed it open and turned slightly, waiting with a gesture for the galdori to enter first. Her violet gaze flicked to the clasped hand of the Gioran and the Anaxi, but she said nothing. The Da Huane children entered first, their movements shrouded in caution and Kaelum’s field pressing against the edges of the very room. As Athrym and Nauleth entered, the magister would close the door firmly and turn to smile at the group.

“Please, take a seat. I’ll arrange tea, so we can sort out this airship business.” She said politely, gesturing to a collection of seats at a small round wooden table set in what Athrym could only guess was a dining room. The blonde looked at Nauleth, hesitating for a moment before she took a cautious seat.

“Magister Jolette, whilst we appreciate the gesture, we are assuredly pressed for time. Our friend here,” She gestured to Leyenak. [color=#xxx] “Danika, does not do well in the Gioran climate.”[/color] Jolette moved into the kitchen, smiling her curious smile as she carefully put down the stick and pottered around.

“I assure you, Miss, that you and your friends have time for tea. The airship will be coming over Ivenlath presently. It will be at least a third of a house before it is here. I am sorry to hear that she doesn’t cope well with the climate.” Pausing to turn on the stove and place a pot over the heat, Jolette turned to stand in the doorway.

“I haven’t met many priests that do, in honesty.” The older woman said softly, keeping her violet iris’ firmly on Athrym’s green ones, clearly speaking without words. The petite galdor didn’t look away, not until Jolette turned back to her now boiling water. Exhaling softly, Athrym glanced at Naul again with a crease in her brow. From the other side of the table, Leyenak’s eyes were wide under the cloth. Was it that obvious that she was a Child Priest? True, there hadn’t really been time to chance, the girl still wore her robes of stature and her skin still glistened in the light from the quartz dust.

But, did the humans really know the ways of Imaan?

“You would be surprised how many of them I used to see in Omn Lie when I lived there, stumbling their way down through the tall grass and across the salt caves. Usually they are mad with hunger and exhaustion, barely twenty years and naught a skill to save their fragile lives. You’d be surprised at how many of them take to the kindness of humans if its offered. Of course, there isn’t always the offer. I saw plenty of them die because of it. It’s very sad.” Leyenak flushed pink, sitting straight backed in the chair beside her brother, keeping her mouth firmly closed and hands laced together. Athrym didn’t know how to even begin to address the situation, looking again at the Anaxi for guidance.

“I do not…believe…that uh…” Her field drew closer with panic, hands pressed against the top of her thighs to keep them steady. She couldn’t think straight, right when it mattered most. Kaelum was frowning, his field heavy with concern, unwilling to turn and look at the woman who had reappeared in the door way with a pot of tea and five cups on a wooden tray. Jolette moved towards the table, placing the tray down and smiling at the group.

“It is okay. You are safe here, galdori. Whatever the reason you have come down from the mountain, Verit-Lie is not going to try and unravel. I only say this because, whilst the airship will probably have more Hesse or Anaxi than Giorans, you might want to get the child different clothing. I have some things from my daughter, and a wash basin in the bathroom. She may change whilst you drink.” Kaelum blinked, his mouth slightly ajar, unable to process what was going on. This thing, this animal was offering clothing from its offspring, like it was people. He was disgusted, and began to inhale to dismiss the offer. No sister of his would wear the byproduct of the beasts.

“That is kind of you, Magister Jolette.” Athrym interjected, not quite able to bring herself to bow to the female, but at least cutting off the Huane before he soured the moment. She stood, moving around the table to take Leyenak by the hand.

“Come Danika, I will help you.” Confused, and weary, the girls left the men with the Magister. Jolette placed cups before Naul and Kaelum, and herself, before pouring the deep brown liquid into the small containers. Her violet gaze looked at them each in turn, settling on Nauleth as she eased herself down with a sigh.

“Mister Ayleward, I don’t want to know how terrible that snow storm was to send three galdori and a passive fleeing from the mountain, that is your business and your business alone. However,” She paused, picking up the tea and taking a careful sip, before the cup down and considering her next words.

“I would ask that in return for our silence, should it be required, you agree to a favor. Not now, not today, but a time in the future when it is needed most.” There it was. The bribe. Nothing was for free, especially for galdori stepping into human land to ask for passage on their airship.

Jolette sipped her tea again, and waited for his reply.

Nauleth Siordanti
Topics: 22
: Magus in the Making
Writer: Muse
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:20 pm

38th of Hamis, 2719
VERIT-LIE | MIDDAY

The eldest Siordanti was already on the edge of himself, already exhausted and afraid. He knew it was a risk to trust this human, regardless of her position of leadership, and as much as he wanted to convince his Gioran companions that humans weren't necessarily dangerous beasts, he wasn't sure that it wasn't actually true.

Kaelum's caution was tangible in his field when they entered the elderly woman's home, the so-called Magister inviting them to sit and pause when none of them wanted to do so. Athrym spoke up and Nauleth almost shook his head, afraid of giving too much of themselves away—

Gold-rimmed eyes snapped back to Jolette at her pointed comment, at her obvious understanding, and it was his turn to flex his frayed field, straightening his posture in the chair that he'd reluctantly chosen to sit in. Gods, how he wanted to just sit, but now—now!—there was no safety here. Of course the passives sent on their pilgrimages would end up here if they survived the treacherous climb down the mountain, if they didn't fall to their deaths or starve or get picked off by the local wildlife as a snack. Of course the unfortunate Priests and Priestesses sent away out of convenience instead of any actual spiritual conviction would discover humanity thrived in the shadows of their mountain homes, and of course their world would be turned upside down.

Naul knew that feeling.

He felt it again, stomach churning, and the urge to set an entire village on fire was a curiously strong one in the back of his mind.

Jolette confirmed his own racing thoughts and the redheaded Anaxi grit his teeth, looking to Kaelum in caution, body tensing, before he looked back to Athrym, shocked that such obvious conclusions were such a revelation to her.

Now wasn't the time, however, and before he could come up with even the most ridiculous of replies to everything, the human had appeared with tea. Tea he didn't want.

"Clothing is the least of our concerns, but we are grateful for your observations." The son of a politician, the professor's shoulders sagged in defiance of his stiff posture, Naul deciding there was no point in attempting to pretend when Jolette had clearly formed her own theories about the strange group of travelers and their need for haste. He cast a sidelong glance to Athrym, one of hesitance, but she stood and moved to work on a better disguise, to help the passive child (for that's what Leyenak was! a child, even if she was a magicless one who'd be in a powder blue uniform in Brunnhold already) hide her religious designation.

He looked back to Jolette slowly, gaze lingering on the petite Gioran he'd almost lost on the mountain, chest aching, but he didn't explain. He didn't offer details to the human about anything, but instead he made the uncomfortable choice not to hide behind falsehoods, either once she asked for a favor.

"—in return for your silence?"

He echoed, incredulous, hoarse voice breaking over the last word and freckled, wind-burned face drawing into a taut frown, "Who are you going to tell that we've been here? Who comes down from the mountains to mingle with your kind on purpose when we are here by accident? What, exactly, do you theorize you have that is of value between the four of us and yourself and your village that is worth risking all their lives?"

Naul curled his burning fingers into the thick, snow-soaked trousers he wore. They'd slowly thawed since leaving the mountain, and now everything that had been too cold felt like it was on fire. His blue-green eyes were hard and his tone was bitter, begrudgingly aware of how trapped they all were—fugitives from the Da Huanes, bearing important information about Vita itself, escaping their own death, and now opposed by ... a human and her illusion of power. He simmered, unable to even pretend at being civil properly anymore,

"What is it you want from us?" It was Kaelum who broke through the Anaxi's silence, removing the cloth from his eyes and sitting up, displeasure carved into his aquiline features, burnished by the sun though they'd been. His blue eyes drifted to Naul, nodding to encourage him. They had nothing left to barter with, and even the tall Gioran knew. They were all tired. They were all afraid. No matter how uncomfortable he was with the options, the former Huane, the lesser son, knew how few their choices were.

Nauleth sighed, shifting his attention back to Jolette, holding himself together with the electromagnetic forces of his need to carry the truth back home and understand it,

"It will be a favor to you when we leave, when we are far from this place, but seeing as we have no choice if we don't want to become your prisoners, you may call upon myself, upon the name Siordanti, when your need for a favor is due."

He didn't need another risk, but he'd taken so many today, what was one clocking more?
This isn't Brunnhold anymore, ersehat, and you're not going home.
Athrym Bruthgrave

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:09 am

Hamis 38th, 2719
VERIT-LIE| AFTERNOON
The older human chuckled at Naul’s threatening words, sensing the press of his weary field and sipping her tea without care. From the window sill, the white osta chirruped and dropped down, wandering over to twist around the ankles of Jolette before leaping up on the table. Long, fluffy tail held in a question mark shape, the feline stretched out beside the woman and stared at the Anaxi with pink iris’ that almost seemed to judge him.

She didn’t answer his question, violet gaze shifting to the osta as a gnarled hand reached to stroke soft porcelain fur. There was acknowledgement in her silence, that the angry galdor had power in the sense of magic, but he didn’t have what he needed most. Power over the village, or the people that lived in it. Certainly, Nauleth could strike her down, set fire to her home. He could step outside and rain monic justice upon her people—right up until someone laid a well placed stone throw to the head. It was just that easy, and too many of his kind seemed to forget that.

Too many galdori forgot how much humans could figure out, when left alone for long enough.

"What is it you want from us?"

Jolette didn’t turn her gaze to Kaelum, though her smile was more victorious. Like the osta that had found the cream. She finally looked up as Nauleth added his thoughts, Athrym and Leyenak returning at that moment. The young passive’s pale skin was almost translucent now the dust was removed, and her long white hair was braided quickly and tucked under a grey knit cap. The cloth was removed from her eyes, and she squinted against the low lighting in the house. Her silver and white robes had been removed and replaced with a long plain beige winter dress and a grey knitted shrug two sizes to big. Her shoes were nearly mittens in fashion, a circle of leather gathered by twine around the ankle.

She looked nothing like herself.

The older Gioran moved to sit beside Nauleth, shooting him a concerned glance before looking back at Jolette with a small nod. The human tilted her head in acknowledgement before answering the question posed to her.

“We don’t take prisoners here, sir. The wilderness of Gior is sufficient enough for our needs.” The older woman said matter of factly, before standing and bowing to the Anaxi deeply.

“Siordanti. I will remember this name, when the favor is required. Thank you. Now, finish your tea and freshen up should you need. We will head over to the warehouse shortly, and Derrick will have you signed as returning Anaxas citizens. That should get you buy. If you want to stay inconspicuous I would suggest you move to the guest seating on the second deck. It’s usually quieter, as we don’t have many visitors. The Hesse craftsmen usually prefer to stay on the first deck, closer to their cargo. Hesseans are quite wary of anyone who isn’t their own kind.” Straightening, she looked at him and shook her head.

“Do not be so sure I am the enemy in hiding, Anaxi. Humans here in Gior are well aware of what our friends in the mountains think of us, but not all of us want to be what they say we are.” Looking at Athrym, the older woman smiled warmly.

“Change does not occur unless we have a little faith, all of us.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Qrieth”

• Information